• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

element

I got to borrow a Canon 50mm 1.4 lens from Whiteman this past weekend and it was really nice, but the 50mm was just a little too much when taking photos in a crowd or of people, since you need about six feet or more to really get their whole body into the shot. I think for my next lens I'll get the Sigma Super Wide Angle 20mm f/1.8 EX. I did some tests where a sweet spot would be and 20mm seems to be it. Sigma has a 28mm, but 20mm sees just right. Wish I could find it for rent though before dropping $500 on it.

Got a 5d in my hands right now. Holy mother of god full frame is amazing! Will test this out in the next days.

Also included is a 28-135mm f3.5, any opinions on that lens?

Alright GAF. I love my TAMRAC bag a lot. Sadly I am pretty much at the brink of outgrowing it already.

Current I have a small tamrac bag that holds my kit lens, 50mm f/1/8, my 430ex ii flash, and Rebel XS. Let me tell you it's a tight fit! I then have my 70-200mm f/4L lens in its own separate bag connected to my shoulder strap.

The problem is that it's a pain in the ass to keep on while shooting. So after some thinking I saw this on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VPE1WK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What do you guys think of this bag to hold my gear and some future growth?

I am also looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R6TA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Suairyu

Banned
Going on a trip to London soon, so need to purchase a high capacity SD card. Are there any caveats to look out for, or will any old card do? Any you'd especially recommend? If it makes a difference, I don't intend to be shooting video.

Suairyu said:
Going on a trip to London soon, so need to purchase a high capacity SD card. Are there any caveats to look out for, or will any old card do? Any you'd especially recommend? If it makes a difference, I don't intend to be shooting video.

Depends on camera's brand, when it was made and what kind of video you are shooting.

Generally, avoid no-name memory cards.

I'm still on the fence on the canon 5d.
The picture quality is absolutely fantastic and ultra sharp, but I already have an (excellent) 550d.
What should I do gaf? I can afford the 630 euros the seller asks for it but it's still a lot of money...

(click for full res)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Unlimited4s said:
I'm still on the fence on the canon 5d.
The picture quality is absolutely fantastic and ultra sharp, but I already have an (excellent) 550d.
What should I do gaf? I can afford the 630 euros the seller asks for it but it's still a lot of money...

(click for full res)

Do you really need the expanded Field of View the 5D provides? Do you generally like to shoot thin depth of field images? Do you not mind losing modern functions the 550D has over the 5D? Then I'd keep the 5D, otherwise the 550D IQ should be good enough. I'd personally keep the 5D but for my own personal reasons (well, the expanded FoV with the lenses I already own and the large viewfinder which will help facilitate Manual Focusing).

BlueTsunami said:
Do you really need the expanded Field of View the 5D provides? Do you generally like to shoot thin depth of field images? Do you not mind losing modern functions the 550D has over the 5D? Then I'd keep the 5D, otherwise the 550D IQ should be good enough. I'd personally keep the 5D but for my own personal reasons (well, the expanded FoV with the lenses I already own and the large viewfinder which will help facilitate Manual Focusing).
I'm planning to keep the 550d no matter what (mostly for filming and the small weight).
I love the DOF and the full frame sensor. The screen is horrible though (but good enough for the histogram).

Higgy

Newbie here that is looking to get a nice camera in the 400-500 hundred dollar range. Going to be using it for general picture taking. Have a new grandchild coming in the family and want to take some nice photos for the rest of the family. If you guys could give me some options to consider that would be awesome. Any can't go wrong options would even be better! :)

Chairhome

Any suggestions on where to sell old equipment? I have a 20D I'm trying to get rid of, which already only goes for about $250, but on top of it, the contact switch is kinda messed up, there's a slight shutter delay sometimes. So I'm having trouble selling it via conventional means...

luoapp

Chairhome said:
Any suggestions on where to sell old equipment? I have a 20D I'm trying to get rid of, which already only goes for about $250, but on top of it, the contact switch is kinda messed up, there's a slight shutter delay sometimes. So I'm having trouble selling it via conventional means...

Ebay. It's got its fair share of complaints on this site, but I've sold 2 cameras and a number of lenses, and all went very well. Take pictures of your camera and describe the condition in detail, I think you will get a fair bid. Good luck.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Chairhome said:
have you tried canon specific forums? Local camera stores will usually take stuff on consignment. There's always ebay and craigslist. Just be upfront about the condition of the camera and realistic about the price.

Speaking of which, for any of the olympus users, all two of you i think, my E30 is going to go on the selling block if you're interested. Just came back from Oly service for cleaning etc. It's in very nice condition and they even gave me another eye piece!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Higgy said:
Newbie here that is looking to get a nice camera in the 400-500 hundred dollar range. Going to be using it for general picture taking. Have a new grandchild coming in the family and want to take some nice photos for the rest of the family. If you guys could give me some options to consider that would be awesome. Any can't go wrong options would even be better! :)

Gosh, that's a bit of a broad question.

I'd consider first the practical business of how big you want the camera to be - whether you want to stick it in your pocket, carry it around in your normal bag or end up with a separate bag full of camera stuff. Especially when it comes to grandchildren I'd guess ease of carrying around comes fairly high up on the list.

The more stuff you end up with, the more expensive it all gets.

Also consider how likely (and whether) it is you'll want to get creative with your photography/shoot under unusual or difficult conditions/get professional quality results (with all the learning and hassle that can involve). The more creative the bigger bag you need, though many midrange cameras have a very good range of options these days.

Also consider whether you want interchangeable lenses (great idea but you need to carry them around and it costs a lot to buy extra ones) or whether you want one lens permanently on the camera for all the shooting you do.

At your price range I'm guessing you're somewhere in the middle - so perhaps looking at one of the Olympus PENs or a Canon Powershot or - stretching the budget a bit a Sony NEX. But there's lots of higher-end point-and-shoots and lower-end DSLRs that will fit the budget too.

So it's tricky to get down to specifics without knowing a bit more. Do you want to give us some more clues? Or popping to a local camera store and having a chat with the staff and getting your hands on a few cameras might be easier.

Incidentally, I've used a Canon Powershot for the last 8 years to good effect - my son has a new Fuji point-and-shoot thing and I'm getting to grips with a Canon DSLR. In practice for ordinary shooting the boy's camera works darn well and beats my (much more expensive) one for day-to-day practical purposes because he can stuff it in an inside pocket, though I get a significant edge in low light/long exposures/high speed stuff - so I make a point of taking him out on photography trips after dark. Less embarrassing.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat around the possibilities without cluttering up the thread - though I am in the UK so I don't understand dollars.

Zyzyxxz

I just got a M42 adapter for my D90, any relatively cheap but high quality lenses I should try out?

I've been looking on KEH for Pentax screwmounts, the old Super Takumars. Particularly I want something for macro since its better to manual focus for that anyway.

BlueTsunami

Zyzyxxz said:
I just got a M42 adapter for my D90, any relatively cheap but high quality lenses I should try out?

I've been looking on KEH for Pentax screwmounts, the old Super Takumars. Particularly I want something for macro since its better to manual focus for that anyway.

The Macro Takumars are supposed to be exceptional but the only thing to watch out for is if they go to full 1:1 lifesize magnification or 1:2 (half life size). Some of the older classic lenses were designated as macro lenses despite going only to 1:2.

Other than that, there's great 50mm and 135mm Takumars and you might want to keep a look out for some Carl Zeiss Jenna's (that are M42 mount but make sure they are M42). A notable CZJ lens would be the 135/3.5 Sonnar and the 35/2.4 Flektagon (known for its close focus ability. Not macro distance but quite close and performs well at Minimum Focus Distance.).

Here's my only M42 lens the Asahi Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 (Pentax Screwmount)

4417854608_e15bb5e3cc.jpg

*Notice that its quite small for the focal length but its all metal and very sturdy

Two samples...

4443763205_545d02c8c7.jpg

4633605250_b529d9fd8e.jpg

*Wish I could provide a larger size but I don't have a Flickr Pro account. This particular lens cost me $50 on KEH.

Just went back and processed this photo taken with the same lens...

BekeZ.jpg

rage1973

The_Inquisitor said:
Alright GAF. I love my TAMRAC bag a lot. Sadly I am pretty much at the brink of outgrowing it already.

Current I have a small tamrac bag that holds my kit lens, 50mm f/1/8, my 430ex ii flash, and Rebel XS. Let me tell you it's a tight fit! I then have my 70-200mm f/4L lens in its own separate bag connected to my shoulder strap.

The problem is that it's a pain in the ass to keep on while shooting. So after some thinking I saw this on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VPE1WK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What do you guys think of this bag to hold my gear and some future growth?

I am also looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R6TA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't think either of those bags give you much room for growth. I have the Canon bag and it gets tight with one lens and a flash depending on the size of the lens. If you want room I would go with Tamrac 3385 as that has worked great for me when I need to haul all my gear. I mostly use Lowepro Sling Passport for most of shooting and carrying my camera + lens + flash but it doesn't have much more room after that.

rage1973 said:
I don't think either of those bags give you much room for growth. I have the Canon bag and it gets tight with one lens and a flash depending on the size of the lens. If you want room I would go with Tamrac 3385 as that has worked great for me when I need to haul all my gear. I mostly use Lowepro Sling Passport for most of shooting and carrying my camera + lens + flash but it doesn't have much more room after that.

Hm. Well I don't really plan to buy anything larger than my 70-200mm F/4L anytime soon.

My current compliment of gear is

Rebel XS
18-55mm IS kit lens
50mm f/1.8
70-200mm f/4L
430ex II flash

For the future I am planing probably a wide angle lens and a macro lens.

I will chuck the kit lens once I get my wide angle lens.

Do you think the amazon bag wouldn't be capable of holding that?

Edit: I guess my concern is that these bags are getting reviews saying it breaks open and spills all the gear out.

Can anyone recommend a sub 100 DSLR backpack? Or is that impossible?

Alright guys quick question. I'm sick of having my kit lens and 50mm prime as being my only wide angle options. I need a nice wide angle lens for my Rebel XS. I don't plan to ever go full frame.

Any suggestions as to what to look into? I've read the 17-40mm is quite nice. But I have also read some other dissenting opinions.

tomjr

The 17-40 is regarded as one of the best value L lens available. But there are also many who don't think much of the IQ (along with most of Canon's wide lenses) as the corners are 'soft'. This may not be so much of an issue with a crop sensor, though. Also the 17-40 on a crop sensor is not as wide as other EF-S options. The build quality is good and it's lightweight.

I've generally read good things about the 10-22. I think the 15-85 might be a good wide / general purpose lens too. I just mentioned Canon lenses. There are also lenses from other third party manufacturers that might work well too (Samyang? Tokina?).

I think if you are set against FF, go with an EF-S option.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
Alright guys quick question. I'm sick of having my kit lens and 50mm prime as being my only wide angle options. I need a nice wide angle lens for my Rebel XS. I don't plan to ever go full frame.

Any suggestions as to what to look into? I've read the 17-40mm is quite nice. But I have also read some other dissenting opinions.

I've got the EF-S 17-55 and the 17-40. The 17-55 has better image quality and versatility, but worse build. I tend to use my 17-40 more these days, mostly because I like the build better. Mine may have some issues with decentering, causing weird scratchy bokeh at the left side, but is gone if I stop down.

That said, both make awesome images. The 17-40 has some distortion, even on a crop. Keep in mind too about full frame. One day, full frame may be so inexpensive that you might actually do it. It's worth keeping in mind.

I've heard rumours of a new 17-40f4l with IS coming too. I'd probably be on that in a heartbeat. The rumours for camera gear are so slow though - takes years to materialise, if at all.

Danoss

The_Inquisitor said:

The 17-40mm is a nice lens, though since its effectively 27-64mm once you put it on your body, I think it is better suited to a full frame camera as I'd want to use the intended focal range. It does depend on how you plan to use it, it's not ultra-wide on your camera body but it is a little more versatile than an ultra-wide lens.

I have the Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens which, for me, is primarily for landscape shots. I have heard good things about competing brands like Sigma, but haven't personally used them.

Gav

Quick question guys.

Looking at simple 'bridge' cameras, dont need anything more than that.

Had our eyes on the Fuji S1600 as its a good price, but can get the S1800 or S1900 for a little bit more.

Is it worth the extra spend for the other models? Or are they all much of a muchness?
Cheers

I'm trying to get into DSLRs and want to get an entry level model. I'm looking at the Canon 550D, any suggestions on alternatives? Is there a newer model coming soon that I should wait for?

TheGuardian said:
I'm trying to get into DSLRs and want to get an entry level model. I'm looking at the Canon 550D, any suggestions on alternatives? Is there a newer model coming soon that I should wait for?

By all accounts it's a good model for beginner dslr. The Pentax Kx or KR's are also extremely good models for the price.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
luoapp said:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/page2.asp

Dpreview just posted their review of Olympus XZ-1, and I have to say, I am very impressed by the image quality at low to mid ISO range. IMHO, it's superior to its peers ( so called enthusiast compact, S95, P7000, LX5) by a large margin, and can easily hold up to a DSLR with a kit lens, sometimes even with a premium lens. As pointed by Dpreview, if you are considering an EVIL camera ( GF, NEX, EP series) for the IQ, you should definitely check this one out before make the decision.

Would this thing be better than the Nex-5? Seems to have gotten higher ratings from that site. I just need something better than my wx-1. Main priority is low light conditions. Kinda iffy on Sony products in general.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
TheGuardian said:

The ones that usually get thrown into the pool with the 550D are the Nikon D3100 and the Pentax K-r/K-x. I bought the Canon.

I don't know about new models coming out, but bear in mind that if one does, it will likely be a lot more expensive to start with.

Kadey said:
Would this thing be better than the Nex-5? Seems to have gotten higher ratings from that site. I just need something better than my wx-1. Main priority is low light conditions. Kinda iffy on Sony products in general.

well, the nex has a much bigger sensor, so you'd expect the low light performance to be better. it's difficult to know about these "pro" compacts though, because the combination of sensor size and lens is completely different for each, to say nothing of their speed/handling/responsiveness etc.

sturmdogg

Anyone know what's the cheapest prime lens for the d3100 for portrait / low light usage? Will using non AF-S lenses make a big difference?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Unlimited4s said:
Got a 5d in my hands right now. Holy mother of god full frame is amazing! Will test this out in the next days.

Also included is a 28-135mm f3.5, any opinions on that lens?

The 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is a great starter lens since it gives you an idea what you want to specialize in. After getting that lens I noticed that I use a certain focal length quite a bit, so I bought a 24-70mm f2.8L and a 50mm f1.2L and love it.

My problem is that a 5D is a full frame camera, and full frame body tends to expose flaws in cameras more than not. As long as you got a sharp 28-135 you should be okay.

Askia47

Hmm, I was looking at a Panasonic GF-1 or a possible GF-2. However I want a new camera for an upcoming event, and the GF-2 won't be avaiable then and a GF-1 seems really rare to find now and not overpriced.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any other 3/4 Size Cameras?

mrkgoo

TheGuardian said:

I think there are rumpled of the 600d hitting soon. At the very least, it will make the 550d cheaper. Canon is funkiest to be making an announcement about something on February 7th. Rumour.

Zyzyxxz

Askia47 said:
Hmm, I was looking at a Panasonic GF-1 or a possible GF-2. However I want a new camera for an upcoming event, and the GF-2 won't be avaiable then and a GF-1 seems really rare to find now and not overpriced.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any other 3/4 Size Cameras?

The EPL-2 isn't bad either.

The_Inquisitor said:
Thats 15-85 looks interesting. Is it really better than the 17-40 or 15-55? Image quality is super important to me. Crop sensor for now.

I have a 15-85 on my 7D. I must say that I don't use it all. It's an upgrade from 450D + 17-85 USM, that I used all the time...

But for some reason, I kept my 50 1.8 on my 7D rather that the 15-85. It's just too much range. I love the wide angle, but never use it over 50mm or so. Plus, having so much range just makes me lazy to move around things. I just sit, go down range, stepping back and shooting then. I guess I don't need so much range, because I don't use it so much. Or maybe it's just a phase where's I'm having wondefull result with the high iso capacity of the 7D and the fast aperture of the 50.

I don't say it's not good. Actually, I have it for two month now, and I have taken maybe less that 200 with it.

But quality wise, it's well built. Image quality is really nice. But I dislike the focus ring being so narrow. It's just dumb: it was narrow on the 17-85 and everybody complained. They just made it smaller on the 15-85...

Final thought: Try the 15-85. It's a lot of range, but that what you are looking for a transtandart right ? Even at 85, it opens at 5.6 wich makes portrait good, as long as you have enough distance with the background. Plus, back at the time, going from 55 to 85 max range on my kit, help me to stop switching back to my tele zoom every two minutes.

UnluckyKate said:
I have a 15-85 on my 7D. I must say that I don't use it all. It's an upgrade from 450D + 17-85 USM, that I used all the time...

But for some reason, I kept my 50 1.8 on my 7D rather that the 15-85. It's just too much range. I love the wide angle, but never use it over 50mm or so. Plus, having so much range just makes me lazy to move around things. I just sit, go down range, stepping back and shooting then. I guess I don't need so much range, because I don't use it so much. Or maybe it's just a phase where's I'm having wondefull result with the high iso capacity of the 7D and the fast aperture of the 50.

I don't say it's not good. Actually, I have it for two month now, and I have taken maybe less that 200 with it.

But quality wise, it's well built. Image quality is really nice. But I dislike the focus ring being so narrow. It's just dumb: it was narrow on the 17-85 and everybody complained. They just made it smaller on the 15-85...

Final thought: Try the 15-85. It's a lot of range, but that what you are looking for a transtandart right ? Even at 85, it opens at 5.6 wich makes portrait good, as long as you have enough distance with the background. Plus, back at the time, going from 55 to 85 max range on my kit, help me to stop switching back to my tele zoom every two minutes.

My current lens set is

18-55mm IS kit lens
50mm f/1.8
70-200mm f/4L

I am severely lacking in the wide angle range. I feel I have the tele range well covered for now. Of course I am looking to get a macro also, but that's probably down the road.

The_Inquisitor said:
My current lens set is

18-55mm IS kit lens
50mm f/1.8
70-200mm f/4L

I am severely lacking in the wide angle range. I feel I have the tele range well covered for now. Of course I am looking to get a macro also, but that's probably down the road.

Maybe look into the 17-55 2.8 because you'll swap your kit for a lens that allow you way more with the fixed fast aperture. Of course, it's not such a gain in the wide angle area...

UnluckyKate said:
Maybe look into the 17-55 2.8 because you'll swap your kit for a lens that allow you way more with the fixed fast aperture. Of course, it's not such a gain in the wide angle area...

I hate my kit lens with a passion. I don't even use it. If I want to do something right now, I use my 50mm. So yes, it would be a HUGE gain.

The_Inquisitor said:
I hate my kit lens with a passion. I don't even use it. If I want to do something right now, I use my 50mm. So yes, it would be a HUGE gain.

Sound about just right.

So it's your call:
- either you need more range (wide and tele) and grab a 15-85
- or you prefer fixed wide aperture over the tele range and look for the 17-55

The two lenses are about the same price (roughly $900 if I can remember) either way, try them.

You can look out for L series, maybe there something that suits you more, but you'll pay the price...

UnluckyKate said:
Sound about just right.

So it's your call:
- either you need more range (wide and tele) and grab a 15-85
- or you prefer fixed wide aperture over the tele range and look for the 17-55

The two lenses are about the same price (roughly $900 if I can remember) either way, try them.

You can look out for L series, maybe there something that suits you more, but you'll pay the price...
I'm quite spoiled by my 70-200mm f/4l at this point. Thus why I have been giving a lot of consideration to the new 17-40mm that's suppose to me coming out soon.

Edit: Man it's hard. So many pro's and con's to the various wide angles...

BlueTsunami

The_Inquisitor said:
I'm quite spoiled by my 70-200mm f/4l at this point. Thus why I have been giving a lot of consideration to the new 17-40mm that's suppose to me coming out soon.

Edit: Man it's hard. So many pro's and con's to the various wide angles...

Get the 17-40 and with that fast 50 in between those two lenses and you'll be golden. But I know how you feel in regards to disliking the kit lens, the color and contrast that thing produces isn't nice.

Help me out guys. I'm getting into photography now and don't know which one is the best choice for me.

Panasonic FZ40 or Sony HX1? Or any other at the same price tag? It's the most I can afford.

Some people told me FZ40 is better thanks to HDMI output and better zoom... what about image quality? Also, which one is better for video recording? That would be important for me too.

Thanks in advance.

Borman

Are there any really nice Canon (EF) to either NEX or m4/3 mount adapters available, that let you use most / all of the features of the lens? Ive thought about buying one of those cameras, with a kit lens as well, just to have something a bit smaller in addition to my t1i, but Id love to be able to use some of my Canon lenses on it in a pinch. Thanks guys :)

bionic77

sturmdogg said:
Anyone know what's the cheapest prime lens for the d3100 for portrait / low light usage? Will using non AF-S lenses make a big difference?
If you find out let me know.

Right now I have the lens kit that comes with it and and also a 55-200mm that my brother in law gave to me.

bionic77 said:
If you find out let me know.

Right now I have the lens kit that comes with it and and also a 55-200mm that my brother in law gave to me.

Wouldn't a 50mm f/1.8 fit your portrait/low light needs? If you have the extra money, a f/1.4 would be even better.

bionic77

The_Inquisitor said:
Wouldn't a 50mm f/1.8 fit your portrait/low light needs? If you have the extra money, a f/1.4 would be even better.
How big of a difference would there be between the 1.8 and 1.4 in real world usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom