• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
shas'la said:
Jumped onto the bandwagon and just picked this up for £375

Gah so much cheaper than the E-PL2 or GF2....
I just don't like the look of their touchscreen implimentation or trust that any decent Primes will be released in the near future. Still at that price I really don't know if I can justify going with the m4/3s bodies.

Oh what do do...?!?!?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kamakazie! said:
Gah so much cheaper than the E-PL2 or GF2....
I just don't like the look of their touchscreen implimentation or trust that any decent Primes will be released in the near future. Still at that price I really don't know if I can justify going with the m4/3s bodies.

Oh what do do...?!?!?

The NEX doesn't have a touch screen.

The new firmware is really nice - lets you customise the buttons so most functions are very close at hand. Works really well with any legacy lenses you might have access to - although that leaves you with manual focus.

They have a lens roadmap for this year and next year, including primes. The m4/3s don't have a great range of primes either.

Also, Sony just announced today they're open......sourcing (?) the E-mount specs, so expect a whole lot more lenses in the near future. Hopefully AF is included in the basic specs as well.

East Lake

345triangle said:
fujifilm X100 is 128,000 yen in yodobashi camera :/

that's over 1500 US dollars!

kind of makes me want it even more, but no way.
Wish you could put m-mount lenses on it, otherwise bleh... It sure looks sexy though.

mrklaw said:
The NEX doesn't have a touch screen.

The new firmware is really nice - lets you customise the buttons so most functions are very close at hand. Works really well with any legacy lenses you might have access to - although that leaves you with manual focus.

They have a lens roadmap for this year and next year, including primes. The m4/3s don't have a great range of primes either.

Ah my mistake. I obviously mis-remember the reviews I've read.
Maybe I need to find somewhere that will let me navigate my way around the system for a while.

What is the AF speed like on the kit lenses?

I did just see the news about E-Mount being made available. It should include AF though surely otherwise MF would just be reverse engineered?!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kamakazie! said:
Ah my mistake. I obviously mis-remember the reviews I've read.
Maybe I need to find somewhere that will let me navigate my way around the system for a while.

What is the AF speed like on the kit lenses?

I did just see the news about E-Mount being made available. It should include AF though surely otherwise MF would just be reverse engineered?!

try and find somewhere with a good returns policy so you can take one home and try it out. Or somewhere that'll let you handle one for a while in store. Although those may not have the latest firmware (v3) on, which is the one that lets you customise the buttons/scroll wheel.

NEX 3 Vs 5 should be almost solely on feel IMO - there is a difference in video capture (720p vs 1080p I think) but the main difference is you're paying for it to be slightly smaller in the 5. Although I do think the 5 is more comfortable to hold due to the slightly thicker grip.

try and handle some of the m4/3 cams too. I really liked the look of the GF1 but it was uncomfortable to hold for me.

And don't worry about considering a GF1 instead of a GF2. Only slightly larger, same sensor so image quality should be on par, and cheaper.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
derder said:
There are a lot of write-ups about it. There is a large section of pros that just don't have the time to fiddle with them. There is also a much larger percentage that spend more time on photoshop than behind the lens.
maybe pro sports photographers. Most of the pro landscape, wildlife and portrait photographers i have seen shoot raw. Get as much right in the camera just like you were using jpeg and it shouldn't take that long to get what you want out of raw once you know how to use the editor. Where people get into problems is by thinking oh im shooting raw i can be careless when i take photos and just fix it later in post. Also be efficient in your processing delete the pictures you wont use and post process the ones you will. You can get way more out of a raw file than a jpeg. Not to mention as raw editors get better your raw images can be processed better if you so choose.

Also important if you want to print big as you can use the raw file to uprez the image a lot easier than a jpeg.

And as squirrel killer said hard drive space is cheap. All my stuff is on my hard drive, then on two external harddrives and gets backed up off site.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You'd be amazed how much you can fix, with a RAW photo, especially earlier photos when you were just starting out. Fortunately I switched to RAW the second or third month into buying my first DSLR.

mrkgoo

I didn't use RAW until I felt I was better at capturing the image camera-side. That is, I was using jpeg for many years before I switched. I felt I had a much better grasp of exposure when I was shooting joeg, and have noticed I rely a lot more on post with raw. That said, I basically did no editing when I was using jpeg, so i'd force myself to get exposure perfect when I was there. With raw, I rely more on histogram, and have found the lcd worse for even getting ball park exposure,- odd because I was ok on my 40d with jpeg. Maybe I have auto brightness on, on my 7d and that's throwing me off.

But yes, raw is amazing for how far you can push. I,m not convinced with the aperture raw engine, though.

Burger

mrkgoo said:
But yes, raw is amazing for how far you can push. I,m not convinced with the aperture raw engine, though.

I like Aperture, but Adobe Camera Raw gives me such better results. Plus Lightroom performs better on my Mac, Aperture is a pig.

mrkgoo

Burger said:
I like Aperture, but Adobe Camera Raw gives me such better results. Plus Lightroom performs better on my Mac, Aperture is a pig.

Aperture works ok on my MacBook Pro (early 08). There was a pretty big performance improvement in the recent updates. That said, there's a major bug in the way it handles its database xml file that could be a dealbreaker for me, causing me to switch to another. And I love Aperture as an organising program.

I'm taking a photo class and need a DSLR. I'm only looking to spend maybe $500. I saw that the Canon Rebel XS is appropriately priced. Is this a good one for me as a beginner in a photo class?

Fusebox

Banned
Had the big decision between the Pana LX5 and Canon S95 yesterday, went with the S95 and I'm loving it so far. A massive IQ jump from my Ixus but still fits in my pocket. Joy.

Wanted to go with the GF1 or Pen but I really wanted something pocketable.

golem

moop2000 said:
I'm taking a photo class and need a DSLR. I'm only looking to spend maybe $500. I saw that the Canon Rebel XS is appropriately priced. Is this a good one for me as a beginner in a photo class?
Good camera

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I was deciding between a T2i and an NEX-5 and I'm positive I'll be going with the latter. The image quality and all the other stuff far exceeds my expectations with both and what I'll be using the camera for so it all boils down to pricing, size and portability. The NEX-5 wins.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
moop2000 said:

Yes. Take a gander of some of the things done with the Rebels on Flickr and you'll see you've got a huge amount of potential once you have the XS in your hands.

Kadey said:
I was deciding between a T2i and an NEX-5 and I'm positive I'll be going with the latter. The image quality and all the other stuff far exceeds my expectations with both and what I'll be using the camera for so it all boils down to pricing, size and portability. The NEX-5 wins.

Both of them have the same size sensor and are probably equal in regards to high ISO quality. The only major difference is ergonomics and size of the two and the lack of viewfinder on the NEX. With that said, I would have made the same choice as you. The NEX is a fantastic camera even with the sort of quirky UI and controls. It also has a mount thats highly adaptable, if you ever become interested in manual focus lenses (like modern rangefinder lenses). Though keep in mind that the NEX system only has two native lenses currently, the 16mm f/2.8 and the Zoom lens.

element

I finally got a real camera bag, Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Bag. Kinda wish it was a tiny bit bigger, but it is nice.

14pG9.jpg

CwweP.jpg

BlueTsunami said:
Yes. Take a gander of some of the things done with the Rebels on Flickr and you'll see you've got a huge amount of potential once you have the XS in your hands.

Both of them have the same size sensor and are probably equal in regards to high ISO quality. The only major difference is ergonomics and size of the two and the lack of viewfinder on the NEX. With that said, I would have made the same choice as you. The NEX is a fantastic camera even with the sort of quirky UI and controls. It also has a mount thats highly adaptable, if you ever become interested in manual focus lenses (like modern rangefinder lenses). Though keep in mind that the NEX system only has two native lenses currently, the 16mm f/2.8 and the Zoom lens.
three - it also has the 18-200. plus there's the
fisheye converter for the 16mm, which i really like!

i'd take my NEX over a T2i or similar any day, though i'd take my A55 over both; i actually think the A55 or A33 might be the perfect starter SLR for anyone new to it all, because the live view operation is so seamless and the body hits (for me) the perfect balance between portability and control. i'm glad i have the NEX kicking around too, though...

mrkgoo

element said:
I finally got a real camera bag, Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Bag. Kinda wish it was a tiny bit bigger, but it is nice.

14pG9.jpg

CwweP.jpg

I love the Crumpler stuff.

They are stylish, aren't TOO camera-bag-looking, and pretty functional. Some bits need work, but I think they are pretty good.

I have a 2million dollar home (older one that fits a rebel-sized slr plus small lens), a 6 million dollar home (older one without the cool flaps to hide the velcro), a barge (backpack that can hold SLR, plus 15" laptop).

On top of that I have a small back pack, a thin wrap, and a very thin shoulder bag that can fit an SLR without padding.

You quickly find there is no single bag that will suit all your needs, and like lenses, you need certain bags for certain occasions.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
BlueTsunami said:

All that stuff goes over my head. My main points basically are size, fast snapshots and low light conditions or any and all environments really. I was satisfied with my DSC-WX1 for all that. But since it broke down and I wanted something more robust and higher quality, the NEX-5 seems to be the rage. Even the IT guy at work recommended it to me.

Say, I didn't use the lens. It could still take great pictures?

yeah, if that's all you're after then the nex with the kit lens would take better pictures than any point and shoot. the differences from a DSLR are in things like interface and focus technology rather than image quality.

i would recommend at least getting the double lens kit with the 18-55 and 16mm though, even if only to give you more flexibility in terms of the size of the thing. it's pocket-sized with the 16mm, and that coupled with the lens' better low-light performance makes it great for taking out at night.

luoapp

Kadey said:
All that stuff goes over my head. My main points basically are size, fast snapshots and low light conditions or any and all environments really. I was satisfied with my DSC-WX1 for all that. But since it broke down and I wanted something more robust and higher quality, the NEX-5 seems to be the rage. Even the IT guy at work recommended it to me.

Say, I didn't use the lens. It could still take great pictures?

If you are not into the lens stuff, I'd recommend the new Olympus XZ-1. In a decent lighting environment, it's image quality is really good, and I say that as a NEX3 owner.

UrbanRats

UrbanRats said:
I post of behalf of my brother, since he has a few problems with english.

He was looking for a new lense for his Canon 350D.
The lenses he owns are the kit lense 18/55mm non IS and a Canon ES 50mm f1.8 II.

He found on an auction site, the Canon 24-105 f4 IS L for 450€ (while new is like 800€, apparently).

But was also considering buying a macro lense or a tele-zoom one.

So:

1) Is the 24/105 too much of a deal at that price, to let it go? Is it good?
2) What's a good macro around that price (400€)?
3) What's a good tele-zoom always around 400€?

He's still a newbe, so if you have any other kind of advice, feel free to write it down.
Sorry for autoquote, but i don't have any clue :(.
Or if it's too complicated, can you point me to a good site/forum where i can lurk/ask about? :p

luoapp

UrbanRats said:
He found on an auction site, the Canon 24-105 f4 IS L for 450€ (while new is like 800€, apparently).

The same lens is sold on ebay for 850+ USD. So I guess 450Euro is an unfinished auction or there are some reason(defects) for such a low price. Usually, lenses ( Canon L lens especially) don't devalue much if the condition is still good. I know sometimes you can even make a profit trading used lenses due to the price increase. I'd check the price of other completed auctions, or, if he wants go for the deal, do a face-to-face exchange, check the lens very carefully.

Danoss

UrbanRats said:
As for the Macro lense, any model around 400/450€ i could look into? :)
You should be able to find the Canon 100mm Macro lens for around that price. It's missing the amazing IS of its new L range brother, but it still takes a great photo. You will want a flash to accompany it at some point, even if it's a Speedlite on a bracket.

Askia47 said:
Hmm, maybe the NEX is the way to go over the GF2 or GF1
I am tempted by the low price.
Then I keep thinking that going M4/3 will give me more options for Cameras in the future (ie: open spec with 3 manufacturers already).

Kinda worreid about going the Nex route and then have Sony change up on me and be left with a load of lenses that I won't want.

I am probably over thinking it somewhat though :)

rass

hello internet strangers, can some of you help me make a decision?

Some of you might recall about a year ago I traded my 5d mk ii for a Nikon d700 (and got rid of some nice Canon lenses :()

bottom line is, i am regret. Most of my friends shoot Canon, I miss video (didn't think that would happen) And tbh I just miss the camera, I liked it. I never bought much Nikon stuff (rented what lenses I needed to get jobs done), only lens I bought was a 50 f/1.8

I want to jump back to Canon (then slap myself upside the head for being such a fickle wanker in the first place).

Thinking of getting a 7d instead of the 5d ii though (price, sick of bleeding money through bad decisions, not that interested in ultra wide angle). Has anyone used both? How does video control compare between the two? mrkgoo - how do you find yours? Especially compared to your 40d? (I had a 30d at one point). I'm trying to find someone close to me irl who has a 7d I can have a play with to see if it's comfy.

I'm sure this comparison has been done to death, sorry about that.

I have about month to decide, going to pick up the body when I'm in Hong Kong mid march.

element

Has anyone used both? How does video control compare between the two?
I've used both. I'd say the 7D is the way to go, or even one step lower to the 60D. The video features are identical on all three, though you can get a custom firmware on the 5d mk ii that makes merges some features into a single screen. All three DIGIC 4, while the 5d mk ii and 7d have two, but only one is used in video mode.

The weight of the 7D is nice, body feels good. 60D body isn't weatherized metal, so it feels a little cheaper, but still has good weight balance.

Buying the 60D was more cost effective for me, since SDHC are typically less per mb then CF cards.

All depends on what you plan on shooting. For prosumer home camera gear, I'd go with the 7D or 60D over the 5d mk ii.

slider said:
Is it Forsete who rocks a Sony A900? Didn't see this posted.

Sony A700 replacement - the A77.

Launching this year apparently. I'm digging the transparent case although am not convinced it'll make it to launch (surely just an announcement stunt?).

Original source.

Yeah, just a stunt to show the near-final guts as well as play off the fact that the mirror is semi-transparent. As to the possibility of a transparent-bodied camera, just consider the reports that apparently the white iPhone4 has been delayed due to the fact the white body allows in too much light, which causes the thing to run like crap. Then think about how a completely transparent body would affect something like a camera and well...... I don't even think it'd work in anything less than near total darkness.

slider

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yeah, just a stunt to show the near-final guts as well as play off the fact that the mirror is semi-transparent. As to the possibility of a transparent-bodied camera, just consider the reports that apparently the white iPhone4 has been delayed due to the fact the white body allows in too much light, which causes the thing to run like crap. Then think about how a completely transparent body would affect something like a camera and well...... I don't even think it'd work in anything less than near total darkness.

Haha, as soon as I read your "semi transpartent mirror" comment I realised of course it can't be transparent. Still looks cool though!

rass

element said:
I've used both. I'd say the 7D is the way to go, or even one step lower to the 60D. The video features are identical on all three, though you can get a custom firmware on the 5d mk ii that makes merges some features into a single screen. All three DIGIC 4, while the 5d mk ii and 7d have two, but only one is used in video mode.

The weight of the 7D is nice, body feels good. 60D body isn't weatherized metal, so it feels a little cheaper, but still has good weight balance.

Buying the 60D was more cost effective for me, since SDHC are typically less per mb then CF cards.

All depends on what you plan on shooting. For prosumer home camera gear, I'd go with the 7D or 60D over the 5d mk ii.
cheers man,
60d (or anything with an SD card) is out of the question for me, nearly 100gb worth of CF cards and I don't want to rebuy storage :)
for fun I shoot whatever is around/macro/landscape/experiments/arty shite that I show nobody. Also taken a liking to wildlife and birds.
for moneys I shoot portraits, small events and second shoot weddings.

I can sell my d700 and the couple of bits I have, then have enough money to buy a brand new 7d and a 50 1.4 when I get to Hong Kong. Probably end up with cash left over haha. Just really need to use one before I commit, thanks for your advice.

mrkgoo

rass said:
cheers man,
60d (or anything with an SD card) is out of the question for me, nearly 100gb worth of CF cards and I don't want to rebuy storage :)
for fun I shoot whatever is around/macro/landscape/experiments/arty shite that I show nobody. Also taken a liking to wildlife and birds.
for moneys I shoot portraits, small events and second shoot weddings.

I can sell my d700 and the couple of bits I have, then have enough money to buy a brand new 7d and a 50 1.4 when I get to Hong Kong. Probably end up with cash left over haha. Just really need to use one before I commit, thanks for your advice.
I love my 7D. When I had my 40d, and the 7d came out, I jumped on it. I felt there were a lot of upgrades:

Improved iso, resolution
Vastly mproved focus system and options (including better than 5d mkii)
Improved LCD screen (really, it's one of the best screens I have on a portable device)
Improved frames per second
Improved processing (dual processors)
Video
Wireless external flash

Gist seemed like I would be getting a lot out of it.

And I love it. I actually chose it over the 5d mkii, but mostly because of cost. The focus system is awesome for a canon series camera, t I guess that and all the other features are
Only important if you're going to use them.

Kamakazie! said:
I am tempted by the low price.
Then I keep thinking that going M4/3 will give me more options for Cameras in the future (ie: open spec with 3 manufacturers already).

Kinda worreid about going the Nex route and then have Sony change up on me and be left with a load of lenses that I won't want.

I am probably over thinking it somewhat though :)

what do you mean "change up on you"? e-mount is here to stay, however fast the support comes in! if anything it's a-mount users that would be worried about sony "changing up on them", i.e. by focusing on e-mount...

slider said:
Is it Forsete who rocks a Sony A900? Didn't see this posted.

Sony A700 replacement - the A77.

Launching this year apparently. I'm digging the transparent case although am not convinced it'll make it to launch (surely just an announcement stunt?).

Original source.

it says スケルトンモック (skeleton mock) next to the picture, i think it's just to highlight the technology. i really can't see sony releasing a translucent camera with a literally transparent case! it might be cool though. i don't know who decided that non-pentax DSLRs have to be black.

in any case i am completely sold on the mirror thing, the a55 is really fantastic. not sure i'd want to switch to full-frame, but i think the a77 could be something awesome.

UrbanRats

Danoss said:
You should be able to find the Canon 100mm Macro lens for around that price. It's missing the amazing IS of its new L range brother, but it still takes a great photo. You will want a flash to accompany it at some point, even if it's a Speedlite on a bracket.
Thank you, i'll tell him to look into it, then. :)

rass

so after I got the itch this afternoon I've already listed my Nikon gear, found a potential buyer for almost all of it and... still haven't even held the 7d in my hands :/ Leaving work early tomorrow to give it a quick burl and settle my mind. It looks about the same dimensions as the 5d mk ii so I assume it will handle in a similar fashion.

Also found a local place that sells genuine aussie stock 7d for not much more than I can get it for in HK, then I get sales tax back as I leave the country. Hell yeah! Actual manufacturer warranty!

Any opinions amongst GAF togs on the canon 15-85? I know it isn't the fastest lens in the world but my favourite lens when I had the 5d was a 24-105 and this is a similar range for crop. But slower. Likely to be the only lens I get (besides 50 1.8) for a good year or so, so versatility is important

Danoss

rass said:
Also found a local place that sells genuine aussie stock 7d for not much more than I can get it for in HK, then I get sales tax back as I leave the country. Hell yeah! Actual manufacturer warranty!
What place is this? I just got my 7D from digiDIRECT on Wednesday; I went in store, got it and some other bits and bobs for cheaper than their website prices.

Stalfos

rass said:
so after I got the itch this afternoon I've already listed my Nikon gear, found a potential buyer for almost all of it and... still haven't even held the 7d in my hands :/ Leaving work early tomorrow to give it a quick burl and settle my mind. It looks about the same dimensions as the 5d mk ii so I assume it will handle in a similar fashion.

Any opinions amongst GAF togs on the canon 15-85? I know it isn't the fastest lens in the world but my favourite lens when I had the 5d was a 24-105 and this is a similar range for crop. But slower. Likely to be the only lens I get (besides 50 1.8) for a good year or so, so versatility is important
I like the 15-85 for its versatility. It probably doesn't quite have the optics of an L lens, but if you want a general purpose lens from wide angle to telephoto I do think its the best option for a crop sensor. You can check out my flickr, the last 8 or so images on there were taken with the lens so you can see what I've been able to do with it, though obviously these are after some post work including sharpening.

Forsete

A77 news is exciting, Sony has said it will be something very special to make up for A700 users having to wait forever for a replacement.

There is talk of a 20MP CMOS in the A77. I find that kind of crazy, IMO the sweet spot seems to be 14-16MP for APS-C. OTOH Sony CMOS tech has been rocking for the past few generations, so I am eager to see if they can pull that off. If it is true.

Otherwise, I am very excited about the newly announced 24mm Zeiss for NEX.
Four Sony lenses are to be released during 2011, one of them being 24mm Zeiss, the others 30mm, 50mm, 55-200mm. Also a Sigma 30mm f2.8 is coming out. Zeiss (Compact Prime), Cosina, and Tamron will also make lenses for NEX.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So I have been looking into this more and decided that between the NEX-5 and the T2i and the D90, I like the T2i more.

NEX-5: Looks great but there's little customization right now, and really weird looking image stabilization that is really off putting to me in the HD videos made with it

D90: Great pictures, but don't like the video options.

T2i: Good video, good photo.

What are some other cameras I should be looking at in this price range?

Another question too: In this review it talks about how the T2i being 18 megapixel affects pixel density negatively and how the D90 uses it's available sensor space more wisely. If I shoot in 9mp mode, will the pixel density change and possibly give a better picture?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Timedog said:
Another question too: In this review it talks about how the T2i being 18 megapixel affects pixel density negatively and how the D90 uses it's available sensor space more wisely. If I shoot in 9mp mode, will the pixel density change and possibly give a better picture?

No. It's the physical size and packing of the pixels on the actual sensor that's important here - essentially a matter of how much light can get into each one (or how accurately you need to focus it to get it there).

rass

Danoss said:
What place is this? I just got my 7D from digiDIRECT on Wednesday; I went in store, got it and some other bits and bobs for cheaper than their website prices.
holy shit, according to their website that's aus stock? So cheap.
I was looking at http://digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/
~$1750 after tax back. $1500-$1600 in HK.

I'm in Melbourne though, I like being able to walk out of a store with something, not big on waiting for postage haha.

@Stalfos
I stopped pixel peeping a long time ago (thankfully), I like the idea of the lens because of it's versatility - I had a look through your photostream at everything tagged with this lens, looks good to me!

Danoss

rass said:
holy shit, according to their website that's aus stock? So cheap.
I was looking at http://digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/
~$1750 after tax back. $1500-$1600 in HK.

I'm in Melbourne though, I like being able to walk out of a store with something, not big on waiting for postage haha.
I'm exactly the same man, especially with camera gear I'd avoid postage as often as possible.

I ended up walking out with the camera body for $1760. I had to check retail after I got that price and JB had it at over $2300... blown away.

Here's what I ended up getting:

ie54tK.jpg

Minus the camera bag and strap, I got the body, lens, UV filter, CF card, spare battery and extended warranty (always get this on my camera) for $3500. I think I did alright, especially for all Australian stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom