• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mrklaw said:
whats the simplest/cheapest option to get a decent macro on my NEX-5? I have the 18-55 and 16mm kit lenses, and canon FD 50/135/70-200, and an adapter for FD lenses.

You could get a cheap M42 Takumar (or Super Takumar) Macro lens or one of the manual focus Nikkors. Looking at KEH.com they've got a 100mm f/2 Macro Takumar for $200. Not bargain bin level but still pretty cheap. Though some of the legacy macro lenses only do 1:2 lifesize instead of true macro 1:1 so that would need to be one thing to watch out for.

Edit: Actually, since you've already got an FD adapter, maybe get a Canon FD macro lens?

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35...h-Lenses?s=1&bcode=CA&ccode=6&cc=55898&r=WG&f

mrklaw said:
whats the simplest/cheapest option to get a decent macro on my NEX-5? I have the 18-55 and 16mm kit lenses, and canon FD 50/135/70-200, and an adapter for FD lenses.

you could get the sony A-mount to E-mount adaptor, and pick up the 30mm 2.8 macro - that way you'd get autofocus, though i'm not sure how well it works. both those things are about 18000 yen here so you could probably find them for $150 or so?

Borman said:
Ended up with the 100mm non-L so I could pick up the 430ex ii as well. Will be here tomorrow <3 amazon
Congrats with that lens. You WILL LOOOOVE it.
mrklaw said:
there are filters that give you magnification (you screw it on the lens like a UV filter), and there is the old reverse lens trick.
Best is to just buy a Macro lens though.

spats

Got my first tripod today. It's not some fancy carbon fiber one but an aluminium one. It's pretty sturdy and quite light, so I'm really happy with it. It makes an absolute world of difference in picture quality.

kid ness

Animator said:
T2i is a great camera. I prefer Canon lenses and bodies to Nikon because the lenses are usually cheaper and the bodies fit me better. I would totally recommend the T2i as a starter camera.

Thank you Animator, Ember128, and phisheep for the advice. I ended up getting T2i. It just came in the mail, and I'm ecstatic right now. I didn't know that it didn't come with a memory card, I'm gonna have to run out and buy one right now! I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to SD or SDHC cards, which should I get?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
kid ness said:
Thank you Animator, Ember128, and phisheep for the advice. I ended up getting T2i. It just came in the mail, and I'm ecstatic right now. I didn't know that it didn't come with a memory card, I'm gonna have to run out and buy one right now! I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to SD or SDHC cards, which should I get?

You'll want probably about 4GB, at least Class 6, and probably eventually two of them so you can reload if necessary.

In practice it is a lot easier than that, since while you'll be really tempted to shoot in highest resolution all the time, you really don't need it when practising composition and so on.

So long as you can restrain yourself, any old SD card will do to start with, and you might do as I did and steal one from your wife/child/GF just to get you going!

EDIT: bottom-right corner of the display tells you roughly how many more shots you can take at the current resolution.

How do you guys feel about "cold" weather shooting? Around 32 degrees. I am not worried at all about my 70-200m f4/L. However I worry about my Rebel XS and other equipment that aren't weather sealed.

The_Inquisitor said:
How do you guys feel about "cold" weather shooting? Around 32 degrees. I am not worried at all about my 70-200m f4/L. However I worry about my Rebel XS and other equipment that isn't weather sealed.
bring another battery.. they get drained faster in cold. and a dry cloth to whipe lenses and viewfinder.

Forsete

The_Inquisitor said:
How do you guys feel about "cold" weather shooting? Around 32 degrees. I am not worried at all about my 70-200m f4/L. However I worry about my Rebel XS and other equipment that isn't weather sealed.

I've had my Sony gear out in -10 -15C with no issues. Just remember to let your stuff thaw in the camera bag when you get back inside, so there wont be any condensation.

Forsete said:
I've had my Sony gear out in -10 -15C with no issues. Just remember to let your stuff thaw in the camera bag when you get back inside, so there wont be any condensation.

Right. I have shot in snow before. I was wiping like a mad man, haha. Now that I am starting to get some decent equipment I am getting more protective.

luoapp

The_Inquisitor said:
How do you guys feel about "cold" weather shooting? Around 32 degrees. I am not worried at all about my 70-200m f4/L. However I worry about my Rebel XS and other equipment that aren't weather sealed.
32 degree isn't really a big deal, except for the faster battery drain.

And a weather sealed lens + non weather sealed camera = a non sealed system.

The_Inquisitor said:
Right. I have shot in snow before. I was wiping like a mad man, haha. Now that I am starting to get some decent equipment I am getting more protective.
yeah, i was shooting in the rain the other day with my new camera.. i stopped because i was afraid of breaking it...

Flo_Evans

Thinking about picking up a new camera.

I'm kind of torn on what to get though. I am having a kid and want to take lots of pics/video... I have a little Canon powershot thats kind of old, wife has a newer one. My dad has a Nikon D300 with tons of great lenses, and we also have a D90 at work with some pretty nice lenses. Also have access to a Canon 7D at work - so I have access to some pretty nice kit but I can't take it home everyday.

Wonder if I should get a DSLR body, mid size like a Canon G12 or just get a newer pocket camera since I can use my dads or works DSLR when I really want to take some good shots.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Flo_Evans said:

I'm kind of torn on what to get though. I am having a kid and want to take lots of pics/video... I have a little Canon powershot thats kind of old, wife has a newer one. My dad has a Nikon D300 with tons of great lenses, and we also have a D90 at work with some pretty nice lenses. Also have access to a Canon 7D at work - so I have access to some pretty nice kit but I can't take it home everyday.

Wonder if I should get a DSLR body, mid size like a Canon G12 or just get a newer pocket camera since I can use my dads or works DSLR when I really want to take some good shots.

That's a tough one.

I found that when I had kids, they took up far too much of my time for any serious photography. Not that I begrudge them that by any means, but I'm only now picking up where I left off.

While they were young and growing up, I found it way more useful to have a small camera readily to hand that I could shove in whatever pocket I happened to be wearing at the time without worrying overmuch about it.

BlueTsunami

Flo_Evans said:

I think the Micro 4/3rd cameras or the Sony NEX would be a nice fit for you. They're not exactly pocketable but small enough that you won't have second thoughts about bringing them with you. If you do go for a point and shoot, you can't go wrong with the Canon G12 or comparable Lumix.

Borman

Just got most of my new equipment in. Canon 100mm Macro (non L), 430ex ii flash, diffuser, wireless remote, and a cheap tripod (since I rarely use one at this point). Its amazing how close the macro lens gets, I figured it would be close, but not this close. Already touched the damn lens on accident though, cleaning kit isn't here until Monday (wanted something a bit better than a lens cleaning cloth). Im quite happy right now hah

Borman said:
Just got most of my new equipment in. Canon 100mm Macro (non L), 430ex ii flash, diffuser, wireless remote, and a cheap tripod (since I rarely use one at this point). Its amazing how close the macro lens gets, I figured it would be close, but not this close. Already touched the damn lens on accident though, cleaning kit isn't here until Monday (wanted something a bit better than a lens cleaning cloth). Im quite happy right now hah
My fav. lens!!!. And or far more than just macro shots.

I just figured out that my Pellix (Canon roll camera) got a FL 58mm 1.2 and that it fits more or less into the EOS mount. Is there any ring to make it in there steady ?

And does the 1.2 stands for the same 1.2 by today standarts (in both terms of depht of field and exposure control) ?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I hope this isn't a stupid question:

I know it is a given that using burst mode in DSLR's greatly reduce the life of the shutter. Does using insanely high shutter speeds (ie: 1/1000 or 1/4000) on single shot mode reduce shutter life?

I am asking this question because I got a canon 50L and that thing is pretty magical below f2.0, and in sunny times it easily hits those insanely high shutter speeds.

Hcoregamer00 said:

I know it is a given that using burst mode in DSLR's greatly reduce the life of the shutter. Does using insanely high shutter speeds (ie: 1/1000 or 1/4000) on single shot mode reduce shutter life?

I am asking this question because I got a canon 50L and that thing is pretty magical below f2.0, and in sunny times it easily hits those insanely high shutter speeds.
Never heard that being a problem.

But it will give you a great excuse to buy a new DSLR in 2014/2015.

Hcoregamer00

Always-honest said:
Never heard that being a problem.

But it will give you a great excuse to buy a new DSLR in 2014/2015.

Bah, the fact that I got two amazing lenses (50L and 24-70L) is already pushing me to buy a second SLR so I don't have to change lenses in busy environments like Anime LA and Anime Expo.

I am just hoping it doesn't reduce shutter life because 50L wide open at f1.2 constantly hits the max speed my camera can do. Which is why I am a tad worried.

Forsete

Hcoregamer00 said:

You can get a general idea of shutter life from this site: http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/
I wouldnt worry about high shutter speeds though.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I am just hoping it doesn't reduce shutter life because 50L wide open at f1.2 constantly hits the max speed my camera can do. Which is why I am a tad worried.
Holy shit. You can shoot anything. Samples in the photothread?

Hcoregamer00

Forsete said:
You can get a general idea of shutter life from this site: http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/
I wouldnt worry about high shutter speeds though.

My XSi has been good to me nearing 28,000 shots , I expect to buy a replacement DSLR before the thing breaks. A second SLR to compliment it is another story.

Always-honest said:
Holy shit. You can shoot anything. Samples in the photothread?

Sorry, I don't have any samples in the photothread, but there are some samples.

They are all unfortunately at f1.6 since I was worried that I might destroy the shutter going so fast:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

Hcoregamer00 said:
My XSi has been good to me nearing 28,000 shots , I expect to buy a replacement DSLR before the thing breaks. A second SLR to compliment it is another story.

They are all unfortunately at f1.6 since I was worried that I might destroy the shutter going so fast:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Thanx. Looks like a great lens. Don't worry about the shutter man. Just fire away.
And eventhough 1.2 is great when you need it, the lens is probably very sharp at 2.8 or something.

mrkgoo

Hcoregamer00 said:

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

I'm not sure a fast shutter speed will wear out the mechanisms any faster. Remember, there's such a thing as a maximum flash sync (1/200s-1/250s), because basically the camera shutter cannot act faster than that. When you select a faster shutter speed, what actually happens is that the second shutter curtain starts closing before the first (opening) shutter reaches the other side.

I would also think that the mirror itself doesn't go the speed of the shutter either.

Hcoregamer00

Always-honest said:
Thanx. Looks like a great lens. Don't worry about the shutter man. Just fire away.
And eventhough 1.2 is great when you need it, the lens is probably very sharp at 2.8 or something.

I believe I mentioned it before, at f1.2 my lens is pretty sharp. The problem is that the depth of field is so small that one inch (from a distance of 6 feet) is the difference between having a person in focus or completely out of focus.

It doesn't help that the lens is way out of league with the autofocus of my Canon Rebel. The camera has one cross point at f2.8 and the rest are sensitive at f5.6. If I got a 60D with 9 cross points at f2.8 the lens should have a higher hit rate.

mrkgoo said:
I'm not sure a fast shutter speed will wear out the mechanisms any faster. Remember, there's such a thing as a maximum flash sync (1/200s-1/250s), because basically the camera shutter cannot act faster than that. When you select a faster shutter speed, what actually happens is that the second shutter curtain starts closing before the first (opening) shutter reaches the other side.

I would also think that the mirror itself doesn't go the speed of the shutter either.

Thanks, I feel much more comfortable shooting at insanely high shutter speeds now.

:)

Bii

Borman said:
Ended up with the 100mm non-L so I could pick up the 430ex ii as well. Will be here tomorrow <3 amazon

Damn, I was thinking of selling my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM since I don't use it much. I've had it for a few months but only have taken, at the most, 50 shots.

tomjr

Hcoregamer00 said:

I think you can get a neutral density filter to reduce the amount of light in your exposures. This will allow you to open your aperture wide but still keep 'reasonable' shutter speeds. It's commonly used for long exposures on flowing water to get that silky effect.

Hcoregamer00

tomjr said:
I think you can get a neutral density filter to reduce the amount of light in your exposures. This will allow you to open your aperture wide but still keep 'reasonable' shutter speeds. It's commonly used for long exposures on flowing water to get that silky effect.

I have been checking ND filters, sounds like a great way to lower the shutter speeds while allowing me to shot completely wide.

mrkgoo

Hcoregamer00 said:
I have been checking ND filters, sounds like a great way to lower the shutter speeds while allowing me to shot completely wide.

What is the max speed of the rebel you're using?

Keep in mind the more expensive bodies also have faster shutter speeds. My 7D has a maz speed of 1/8000s.

Hcoregamer00

mrkgoo said:
What is the max speed of the rebel you're using?

Keep in mind the more expensive bodies also have faster shutter speeds. My 7D has a maz speed of 1/8000s.

Max shutter for the Canon 450D/XSi is 1/4000.

Hcoregamer00

mrkgoo said:
Meh, it's only 1-stop difference, not that much. But yeah, I know lots of people love ND filters.

Yeah, the Canon 60D also has a max shutter speed of 1/8000 also. I keep mentioning the Canon 60D because I saw one at Anime LA last week and I was very impressed with the camera. I mean, it really impressed me a lot. I will likely buy it for my future second body (which will permanently have my 50L)

No Microadjust though :(

UnluckyKate said:
I just figured out that my Pellix (Canon roll camera) got a FL 58mm 1.2 and that it fits more or less into the EOS mount. Is there any ring to make it in there steady ?

And does the 1.2 stands for the same 1.2 by today standarts (in both terms of depht of field and exposure control) ?

Okay so after 2 days of intense search, it's that time to quote myself.

There is no FL to EOS mount adaptator out there that can handle my FL 58mm 1,2.

*super sad face* I just need to design and make one myself now.

BlueTsunami

UnluckyKate said:
Okay so after 2 days of intense search, it's that time to quote myself.

There is no FL to EOS mount adaptator out there that can handle my FL 58mm 1,2.

*super sad face* I just need to design and make one myself now.

It may work on those mirrorless cameras but yeah I don't know too much about the FL mount just the FD mount.

BlueTsunami

Hopefully its APS-C at the least but man would that be awesome. More competition. And reading the article it states it may be a professional geared mirrorless camera. That would be very, very nice.

Zyzyxxz

BlueTsunami said:
Hopefully its APS-C at the least but man would that be awesome. More competition. And reading the article it states it may be a professional geared mirrorless camera. That would be very, very nice.

Nice!

Maybe a possible upgrade from my D90 in the future, hopefully it will use the F-mount.

If the NEX-5 is any indication of whats possible in that form factor then I'll be hoping for D7000-ish performance.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
345triangle said:
you could get the sony A-mount to E-mount adaptor, and pick up the 30mm 2.8 macro - that way you'd get autofocus, though i'm not sure how well it works. both those things are about 18000 yen here so you could probably find them for $150 or so?

is there a basic physical adapter for A-mount to E-mount, don't fancy spending hundreds just on the official Sony adapter. Don't need AF just for a macro lens

i've seen cheaper ones kicking around shops here, yeah - i think they're usually marked as minolta A to sony E, which should amount to the same thing if you didn't care about AF. quick search on ebay didn't turn anything up, though.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Zyzyxxz said:
If the NEX-5 is any indication of whats possible in that form factor then I'll be hoping for D7000-ish performance.
this is funny to me. Form factor has little to do with the quality of images. Its the same sensors being put in these little cameras as their bigger brother prosumer and sometimes pro bodies.

All but one of my recent landscapes posted in the thread last week were with the EP2.

I think we are spoiled with how good sensors have become. However, i think we're also at a point of diminishing returns with sensors. To double effective resolution you have to quadruple the mpx count. I wish instead of worrying about super-i-can-shoot-in-the-damn-dark-ISO and mpx manufacturers would worry more about things like color accuracy.

You're hardly going to see a difference in these sensors at web resolution, not until you start printing pretty huge will you start to see a difference.

sensor size makes quite a difference in terms of focal lengths and depth of field. of course an M43 camera can take high quality pictures, but APS-C sensors are the size they are for a reason.

luoapp

captive said:
I think we are spoiled with how good sensors have become. However, i think we're also at a point of diminishing returns with sensors. To double effective resolution you have to quadruple the mpx count. I wish instead of worrying about super-i-can-shoot-in-the-damn-dark-ISO and mpx manufacturers would worry more about things like color accuracy.

I don't know if people values color accuracy as high as in film-age any more. The pictures get most "wow"s are usually the ones have been "stylized".

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
345triangle said:
sensor size makes quite a difference in terms of focal lengths and depth of field. of course an M43 camera can take high quality pictures, but APS-C sensors are the size they are for a reason.
im not sure i follow, i wasn't speaking about APS-C vs any other size sensor. I was speaking about the misconception that small camera = not able to take good pictures. I've seen this misconception multiple places, people just assume that bigger cameras take better pictures.

But my point still stands at web resolutions you wont see much of a difference.

luoapp said:
I don't know if people values color accuracy as high as in film-age any more. The pictures get most "wow"s are usually the ones have been "stylized".
Depends on the audience. With photoshop you can stylize anything to look like whatever you want. So why wouldn't you want to start off with the most color accurate scene you could and then tweak it from there.

It's funny when people post threads about new cameras they got after switching brands, one of the first things they notice is how the grass is a different shade of green.

luoapp

captive said:
Depends on the audience. With photoshop you can stylize anything to look like whatever you want. So why wouldn't you want to start off with the most color accurate scene you could and then tweak it from there.

What's the point then if you know you will change it to B&W, lomo...

Arcipello

ok guys ive just ordered a canon 550D and it should arrive on friday :) ive been using a Pentax 110D for the past couple of years, so ive not been involved in the whole canon lense world. idealy id like something with an F1.8 or so, i have a 28mm f1.8 Sigma for my pentax, very happy with that. Can the Canon geeks come out of the woodwork and recommend some lenses that arent going to break the bank?

BlueTsunami

Arcipello said:
ok guys ive just ordered a canon 550D and it should arrive on friday :) ive been using a Pentax 110D for the past couple of years, so ive not been involved in the whole canon lense world. idealy id like something with an F1.8 or so, i have a 28mm f1.8 Sigma for my pentax, very happy with that. Can the Canon geeks come out of the woodwork and recommend some lenses that arent going to break the bank?

Canon has their own 28/1.8 thats supposed to be good (at around $400) and I believe you could get the same Sigma for Canon if you want. There's the Canon 50/1.8 of course that only goes for around $110. Then they've got a 85/1.8 and 100/2 that go for around $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom