• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

offtopic said:
Basically want a 7d with an articulated screen :(
In the Canon range, if you want to shoot sports without spending a bundle, it's the 7D or bust.

The 5DII and 60D can shoot at 5fps, but the reason no pro would be seen dead using them for sports is that it's not fast enough. 5fps is surprisingly slow for sports and you will miss those crucial moments with it.

The 7D can actually shoot at 8fps, it runs at 7fps in Silent Shooting Mode 1. The autofocus system in the 7D is absolutely incredible; combine that with the awesome shooting speed and you have one hell of a camera for sports.

No matter what you choose, there's going to be a sacrifice. You have to determine what's more important: higher shooting speed for sports or an articulating screen for video (and awkward photo ops).

If you go for the 60D, you will have room left in your budget to buy a Rode VideoMic Pro (get this as the built in mic blows). Plus, you will want a lens with IS if you're shooting video and the VMP won't pick up the noise of the IS motor.

Hammer24 said:
How would you compare postprocessing filters to do the job instead?
The 2 filters that cannot be replicated in post are the circular polariser and the neutral density filter.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Danoss said:
In the Canon range, if you want to shoot sports without spending a bundle, it's the 7D or bust.

The 5DII and 60D can shoot at 5fps, but the reason no pro would be seen dead using them for sports is that it's not fast enough. 5fps is surprisingly slow for sports and you will miss those crucial moments with it.

The 7D can actually shoot at 8fps, it runs at 7fps in Silent Shooting Mode 1. The autofocus system in the 7D is absolutely incredible; combine that with the awesome shooting speed and you have one hell of a camera for sports.

No matter what you choose, there's going to be a sacrifice. You have to determine what's more important: higher shooting speed for sports or an articulating screen for video (and awkward photo ops).

If you go for the 60D, you will have room left in your budget to buy a Rode VideoMic Pro (get this as the built in mic blows). Plus, you will want a lens with IS if you're shooting video and the VMP won't pick up the noise of the IS motor.

The 2 filters that cannot be replicated in post are the circular polariser and the neutral density filter.
Thanks for the info...yeah I feel sort of stuck between the two with the canon line. I'm trying to figure out how much I'd miss the 1.7fps difference between the two...I'm not a "pro" and I'm shooting mostly youth sports where speeds aren't as high to begin with.

Also, the A55 seems like a potentially good compromise - super fast with lots of bells and whistles but is slightly newer and I'm not sure what other compromises I'd be making. It is a bit small in my hands as I prefer something a bit more substantial. The biggest knock dpreview had was that it wasn't as good at sports as $5k full frame options. What the hell kind of criticism is that? Not helpful.

Borman

I hope that NEX thing pans out, I really want a decent mirrorless camera, but having the option to throw one of my lens on in a pinch would be great. Still saving for that 7d though..

n3ss

aka acr0nym
I've been looking to pick up a new camera, will be mostly using it when I'm out and about around town (SF).

I was looking to pick up a Ricoh GR III, anyone have experience with this camera?

Fireye

So, I had amazing plans to shoot in the gaf "technology" thread, but my I left my camera in my car overnight and it got stolen. I only got a few weeks of use out of my Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 before it left my possession :(

Anywho, I'm finally mostly past the pain of thinking about photography, and have decided to go after another camera. I'm split between the 50d and the 600d. I really like the microfocus adjustment of the 50d, since I had two 3rd party lenses that weren't quite right in the focus accuracy. On the other hand, the 600d is almost the same price (50d used vs 600d newish), has video mode, wireless flash control, and better ISO/megapixel/light sensitivity. I can't justify going up to a 7d unfortunately. Must... decide...!

Zyzyxxz

n3ss said:
I've been looking to pick up a new camera, will be mostly using it when I'm out and about around town (SF).

I was looking to pick up a Ricoh GR III, anyone have experience with this camera?

fixed 28mm lens though so I dunno if I could live with that for a compact.

Gabyskra

Banned
Have a 550D, a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, and a 50mm 1.8.

Really tempted to get a 35mm f2.

What would it allow me to do? Be more comfortable than with a 50mm at close distance?

Danoss

Gabyskra said:

What would it allow me to do? Be more comfortable than with a 50mm at close distance?
The 50mm is effectively 80mm on a crop body such as yours, which can be a bit cumbersome at times, specifically indoors. The 35mm on the same body is 56mm, which should be a lot less awkward to use in tight spaces.

I'm thinking of picking one up for the same reason. The bokeh is a bit off-putting, but the only way to avoid that is to spend more than 4X the price and buy the 1.4L.

VNZ

I'd say that the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is the best "50mm equivalent" for APS-C Canons right now. The downside is some distorsion (of the barrel variety, easily countered in Lightroom if it bothers anyone) and that the image circle won't cover a full frame sensor (you can mount it on a 5D for some hardcore vignetting though, it looks quite nice and isn't entirely useless). To top it the next step would be Canon's L-range 24 or 35mm, really.

Fireye

Gabyskra said:

Aye, what you said, plus being able to shoot longer shots without blur due to the shorter focal length. But, unless you're feeling like the 50mm f1.8 is too long, or that it's construction is too shoddy for you, it'd be more effective to just stay with that.

Not that these will be totally comparable, since one is a 300d (350d?) and the other is a higher resolution 50d, but you can judge based on the relation to the max resolution.
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/157-canon_35_2_50d
mtf.gif

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/160-canon-ef-50mm-f18-ii-test-report--review
mtf50.gif

I have a really annoying problem with monitor/camera calibration... Right now I have an old CRT as my editing screen since my TFT is utter crap (will buy an IPS monitor soon, though) and have calibrated it as good as I can without proper equipment. The annoying thing is, when I take a photo and look at it in the camera I get this:
hcwT4.jpg

which is what I want, but when I open it in Lightroom I get this:
Ygsxj.jpg

I have a feeling that it is my camera's screen that's not calibrated, but is there any way I can fix this? The camera is a Nikon D40 and I shoot in RAW in Adobe RGB.

Fireye

Sorry, don't know how to fix it, but maybe I can help with a workaround. What format are you opening in Lightroom? If it's RAW of some sort, you're relying on ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) to convert your RAW to something it can use. I've found that ACR is VERY lackluster for some cameras, though I'm not sure why. I had one photo where it looked like ACR was producing an 8-12bit (not 8bit/channel) image because of the dithering it was doing. Canon's raw conversion software and Bibble didn't show the same kind of issues.

Not the same problem exactly, but here's a comparison I did for another problem image:
http://hinome.net/temp/rawcompare.png (giant image)

Left if Lightroom, middle is Canon's software, and right is Bibble (IIRC, the Canon and Bibble might be swapped).

Edit: Just caught the tailend of your post, d'oh! If you're opening it in RAW in lightroom, you can try converting the RAW to bmp/tiff/whatever lossless format you want in Nikon's raw conversion software, and then try opening that up in Lightroom.

I think it might be the screen after all. I took some contrasty pictures in RAW + JPG and opened them, and the light levels looked identical and the shadows were much darker than on the camera...

mrkgoo

Looking at an image in camera can be vastly different to how it processes in a thirdparty RAW.

The image on a camera is typically a small, embedded jpeg, processed at time of capture.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yeah, one of the first things I've read about judging the exposure of a photo is never to trust the LCD. There's a bunch of factors that can effect the perceived exposure like the actual brightness setting of the LCD and the lighting around you when viewing. Learning to use and read a histogram is more accurate.

element

I'm thinking about renting a Canon 24mm f/1.4L II and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM from LensRentals.com

I'm renting the 28mm Sigma to see how it performs. I want a wider prime lens then my 50mm I have right now.

Renting the Canon for shits and giggles. How often can you get your hands on a $1600 lens for $50 for a week?

Fireye

I really liked my Sigma 24mm f1.8 (before it stolen *sniff*). Lets you focus basically up until you're touching the lens. Pretty good performance, though I wish I had MFA on my body for tweaking the focus.

BlueTsunami

element said:
I'm thinking about renting a Canon 24mm f/1.4L II and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM from LensRentals.com

I'm renting the 28mm Sigma to see how it performs. I want a wider prime lens then my 50mm I have right now.

Renting the Canon for shits and giggles. How often can you get your hands on a $1600 lens for $50 for a week?

I'm thinking you're gonna love the 24/1.4 II more than the others. The others are great budget alternatives but mannn, love the images I've seen from the 24/1.4II. You can also rent Zeiss lenses from lensrentals. I suggest the legendary 21/2.8 Distagon or the 100/2 Makro Planar ;)

element

BlueTsunami said:
I'm thinking you're gonna love the 24/1.4 II more than the others. The others are great budget alternatives but mannn, love the images I've seen from the 24/1.4II. You can also rent Zeiss lenses from lensrentals. I suggest the legendary 21/2.8 Distagon or the 100/2 Makro Planar ;)
Yeah, I think I'd love the Canon 24/1.4 II, but at $1600 new, I can't drop that on a lens.

The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is $480 new and seen it for around $400 used. I can handle that.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
mrkgoo said:
The image on a camera is typically a small, embedded jpeg, processed at time of capture.
this. This is what I was thinking.

The fastest and cheapest way to calibrate your monitor is to print something, either at a professional lab that does not do corrections except for on request or on your own printer that you use or plan on using. Then just proof it with the picture next to it. The problem with this is you need light for the print to be displayed properly. The next easiest way is to just get a hardware calibrator.
Working with a better monitor is a good start though.

Danoss

captive said:
Working with a better monitor is a good start though.
Speaking of which, if any Australians are looking for a cheap IPS monitor, Dell has $75 off their U2311H, making it $274 including postage until Thursday here.

I was buying one of these suckers on Wednesday anyway. Perfect timing for a brief price drop.

VNZ said:
I'd say that the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is the best "50mm equivalent" for APS-C Canons right now.
I had been considering this one also, but hadn't gotten to looking at shots taken with one yet. I have just now and they look wonderful. The bokeh is much nicer (8 aperture blades vs 5 make a difference), it costs a little more than the Canon but it has HSM plus an included lens hood, so that's a winner. I think I'll be wondering into a camera store for one shortly.

Danoss

I have to give props to http://www.digidirect.com.au/ for anyone looking at different camera shops in Australia.

Last night I ordered a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, a Canon 70-200 f/4 IS, a Canon S95 with a memory card to suit.

This morning I got a phone call confirming my address. Shortly after, I received an email requesting copies of ID (scan of drivers license and the credit card used). Nothing unusual really, just protecting their business from potential fraud. I had bought from them twice before, and thought it was unusual that they were asking, then I remembered I had used a credit card I hadn't used with them before. No problem.

I complied with that and asked if I'd still be able to make it in time for the courier pickup that day. They didn't answer that question, instead I was asked if I'd be home because they will deliver it to my house today! A few hours later (only minutes ago) one of their staff members was at my house to drop of the goods personally.

I have never been so impressed by the service of a company as I have by DigiDirect. I was already impressed with how cheap they were, then they still do this on top.

I hope this doesn't come across as a shill, it's just a glowing recommendation for these guys.

Now to play with my new toys. :)

mrkgoo

Hammer24 said:
What macro would you guys recommend to slap on a 550D?

I have a soft spot for the EF-S 60mm f/2.8, just because it's a stellar lens, and is also a great focal length to be a bit versatile - indoors, short tele, light, portrait.

The only thing is that it's Ef-S, meaning if you ever go full frame it won't be compatible, so it may not be as forward thinking.

What lens can you recommand for shooting in concert ?

Basicaly, I must go to a show on saturday and I have a 7D with the 15-85 but my 50 1.8 is having major AF problem in low light.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Sigma 50 1.4 but it's like twice as big. And the Canon 50 1.4 is way smaller and cheaper even if it doesn't seem it offer results as good as the Sigma when aperture is lower.

mrkgoo

UnluckyKate said:
What lens can you recommand for shooting in concert ?

Basicaly, I must go to a show on saturday and I have a 7D with the 15-85 but my 50 1.8 is having major AF problem in low light.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Sigma 50 1.4 but it's like twice as big. And the Canon 50 1.4 is way smaller and cheaper even if it doesn't seem it offer results as good as the Sigma when aperture is lower.

Is an 85mm f1.8 too long?

Danoss

Always-honest said:
Can you please post some impressions and image samples of that lens. I'm thinking of buying one... I'd highly appreciate.
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC details as requested.

I have heard of front/back focusing issues with this particular model of Sigma lens. I did a quick test and mine seems to be spot on. If it isn't, it's so close it doesn't even matter.

The build of it is very solid; it has a nice weight to it, which I really like. It's a lot easier to hold and work with than the nifty fifty because of this. Having a free lens hood and small lens bag included is quite a nice touch also. I haven't used a Sigma lens prior to this, but it does have a centre-pinch lens cap, which is much easier to move on and off with the lens hood on than the standard Canon ones.

Auto focus is quite snappy. My house is generally quite dark, no matter the time of day, even with all the lights on. Under these conditions, this lens performs admirably.

As it was dark before I got a real chance to play with it, the photos that I'll offer as samples are of what I've got to work with, which isn't much. They're all of a plastic pot plant that was laying around under CFL lighting. To ensure no camera shake, I took them on a tripod with a cable release. They're 800 on the longest side, I hope that's enough to give the right impression.

All taken in Av mode with +1/3EV at ISO100 on a Canon 7D.

ijWIAA.jpg

Taken wide open at f/1.4

ika7iW.jpg

Taken at f/2 - when this lens is supposed to lose any softness.

ika0K8.jpg

Taken at f/4

ikaYQC.jpg

Taken at f/8

These are all taken straight out of the camera. Only output sharpening in Lightroom has been applied (which is so minimal it's barely visible) after being resized.

There is slight CA visible on some flower petal fringes at f/1.4 and f/2; that's about where it stops. It's not terribly visible unless you're pixel peeping really, but it is there.

Overall, I'm very happy with this lens and I think it's well worth its asking price.

Hope this helps out any prospective buyers.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hammer24 said:
What macro would you guys recommend to slap on a 550D?

As an alternative, you might try sticking a set of Kenko extension tubes on the back of the 50mm 1.8 - works just great for me and comes a lot cheaper! I get about a 1.3 magnification out of it.

It might not be the greatest macro solution, but it is versatile, and the tubes are fun to play with on the kit 18-55 as well.

Danoss said:
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC details as requested.

I have heard of front/back focusing issues with this particular model of Sigma lens. I did a quick test and mine seems to be spot on. If it isn't, it's so close it doesn't even matter.

The build of it is very solid; it has a nice weight to it, which I really like. It's a lot easier to hold and work with than the nifty fifty because of this. Having a free lens hood and small lens bag included is quite a nice touch also. I haven't used a Sigma lens prior to this, but it does have a centre-pinch lens cap, which is much easier to move on and off with the lens hood on than the standard Canon ones.

Auto focus is quite snappy. My house is generally quite dark, no matter the time of day, even with all the lights on. Under these conditions, this lens performs admirably.

As it was dark before I got a real chance to play with it, the photos that I'll offer as samples are of what I've got to work with, which isn't much. They're all of a plastic pot plant that was laying around under CFL lighting. To ensure no camera shake, I took them on a tripod with a cable release. They're 800 on the longest side, I hope that's enough to give the right impression.

All taken in Av mode with +1/3EV at ISO100 on a Canon 7D.

These are all taken straight out of the camera. Only output sharpening in Lightroom has been applied (which is so minimal it's barely visible) after being resized.

There is slight CA visible on some flower petal fringes at f/1.4 and f/2; that's about where it stops. It's not terribly visible unless you're pixel peeping really, but it is there.

Overall, I'm very happy with this lens and I think it's well worth its asking price.

Hope this helps out any prospective buyers.
Thank you very much for the trouble!. Seems like a nice sharp lens for crop DSLR's

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here have a leica digital rangefinder?
I want one. Badly.

They're expensive as fuck, but I don't drive so it would sorta be the equivalent to how most people my age [23] are buying their first new cars etc..

BlueTsunami

Jtwo said:
Does anyone here have a leica digital rangefinder?
I want one. Badly.

They're expensive as fuck, but I don't drive so it would sorta be the equivalent to how most people my age [23] are buying their first new cars etc..

I don't but have read lots and lots about it. You can get an M8 for around $4K which is much cheaper than the M9 which is around $9K. The M8 has a 1.3x Crop sensor though where the M9 is Full Frame. Also the Rangefinder "experience" is much different than what you experience with DSLRs. The viewfinder you look through is coupled with the lens but you obviously don't look through the lens itself (so you don't get the benefit of seeing the DOF and framing through the lens itself). Plus I've read about headaches involving the Rangefinding mechanism in the camera that can offset over time and needs to be serviced.

I think the real allure of Leica is not really the body though (as wonderfully built as they are) but the lenses. The lenses are the smallest you'll find and at the same time the best performing optics. A practical setup that doesn't involve a huge amount of money is a Sony NEX (or similar mirrorless camera) and a Leica lens (they've got budget lenses that are part of their own Summarit line). Or wait to see if Nikon does something special with their own Mirrorless cameras.

East Lake

Imagine having you're M9 paired with new ASPH Noctilux stolen. It only cost 18K!

Fuji should have put an m mount on their x100. They come out with a classic looking body and then smash your dreams by giving it a fixed lens...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
BlueTsunami said:
I don't but have read lots and lots about it. You can get an M8 for around $4K which is much cheaper than the M9 which is around $9K. The M8 has a 1.3x Crop sensor though where the M9 is Full Frame. Also the Rangefinder "experience" is much different than what you experience with DSLRs. The viewfinder you look through is coupled with the lens but you obviously don't look through the lens itself (so you don't get the benefit of seeing the DOF and framing through the lens itself). Plus I've read about headaches involving the Rangefinding mechanism in the camera that can offset over time and needs to be serviced.

I think the real allure of Leica is not really the body though (as wonderfully built as they are) but the lenses. The lenses are the smallest you'll find and at the same time the best performing optics. A practical setup that doesn't involve a huge amount of money is a Sony NEX (or similar mirrorless camera) and a Leica lens (they've got budget lenses that are part of their own Summarit line). Or wait to see if Nikon does something special with their own Mirrorless cameras.
Yeah, I had been looking at the Panny GF1 before the fantasy of spending a million dollars crossed my mind. [I have an lx3 right now, and it's boss] That's a good tip, I honestly hadn't really considered it.

There is just an undeniable allure to the M series.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So with that setup I would never have to play around with chemicals to develop negatives, right?

East Lake

You wouldn't but it gets worse, you have to pay a few bucks and wait for film processing, and it's slightly more costly for the best films (slides). Then you get home and spend hours scanning! I'm scanning as I type, not worth the hassle for most people.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's really interesting, but pretty impractical.
I'm actually not SUPER experienced with photography. My grandmother was a vintage camera collector, and she was OOOOLLLD so as a child I grew up playing with tons of different cameras from many different eras, so I'm kinda familiar with the wondeful world of ridiculous camera bullshit.. but I have never owned anything more than point and shoot.

element

I had these waiting for me when I got home today!! WOOHOO!

8AjQH.jpg

Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

a6x5A.jpg

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM

Took a couple shots with the Canon. HOT DAMN!!

East Lake

Jtwo said:
That's really interesting, but pretty impractical.
I'm actually not SUPER experienced with photography. My grandmother was a vintage camera collector, and she was OOOOLLLD so as a child I grew up playing with tons of different cameras from many different eras, so I'm kinda familiar with the wondeful world of ridiculous camera bullshit.. but I have never owned anything more than point and shoot.
If I were made of money and didn't want to go back to school I'd buy an M9 in a heartbeat, probably still wouldn't feel comfortable carrying something so expensive around but rangefinders are awesome, I have two film ones. Very travel friendly with great optics and styling.

Danoss

element said:
I had these waiting for me when I got home today!! WOOHOO!

Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM

Took a couple shots with the Canon. HOT DAMN!!
You're in for a lot of fun.

BlueTsunami

Jtwo said:
Yeah, I had been looking at the Panny GF1 before the fantasy of spending a million dollars crossed my mind. [I have an lx3 right now, and it's boss] That's a good tip, I honestly hadn't really considered it.

There is just an undeniable allure to the M series.

Definitely suggest getting one of the mirrorless (Panny GF1, Olympus PEN, Sony NEX etc) cameras and playing with that. Maybe you'll be interested in vintage lenses down the line due to playing with older cameras and you'd be able to adapt some of them to your camera (also a good way to buy top performing lenses on a budget).

And yes, the M Series is definitely very appealing and if I had income that I could throw around I would definitely get an M9 despite some of the downsides. Hell this applies to a lot of German made products (I may or may not be a Zeiss fanboy).

element

Danoss said:
You're in for a lot of fun.
The Canon 24mm is the tits. Holy crap. After 10 shots, I might have to break the piggy bank and save up for it.

The Sigma is great too. I might have to fool around with the settings a little more, but the Sigma had better color on the first round of shots.

Jebus

element said:
The Canon 24mm is the tits. Holy crap. After 10 shots, I might have to break the piggy bank and save up for it.

The Sigma is great too. I might have to fool around with the settings a little more, but the Sigma had better color on the first round of shots.

Damn you! I'm seriously thinking about the Sigma (would love the Canon but my pockets aren't that deep). Can you give us some impressions and post some shots here or link us to your flickr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom