• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Alfarif said:
Awesome. I will look around for an S90 tonight. Thanks a ton!

the great thing is that its manual controls are pretty good, not as good as the G11 with its dials but pretty close if you are willing to fiddle with some menus a little bit.

The one I played with achieved a nice bokeh on a few sample shots.

reggieandTFE said:
Panasonic is coming out with a 25mm/1.4 within the next couple of monthbitty it's expected to be pricy. It will likely push the 20mm's price down significantly.
Yeah I expected so. I was hoping something fast and compact might be released from one of the 3rd parties that recently joined the m4/3 group.

Well anyway I finally took the plunge with:
- Olympus E-PL2
- 14-42mm II
- 40-150mm (only £100 when bought with the kit so i thought why not. Could probably sell it for the same price if I don't use it much)
- 20mm F1.7 (not expected in stock for 2 or so months so if something else takes my fancy before its sent I will cancel it)

Now I just hope I use it all enough to justify the price!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Kamakazie! said:
Yeah I expected so. I was hoping something fast and compact might be released from one of the 3rd parties that recently joined the m4/3 group.

- Olympus E-PL2
- 14-42mm II
- 40-150mm (only £100 when bought with the kit so i thought why not. Could probably sell it for the same price if I don't use it much)
- 20mm F1.7 (not expected in stock for 2 or so months so if something else takes my fancy before its sent I will cancel it)

If rumors are correct the 25mm f1.4 is a m4/3 copy of the very highly regarded 4/3rd lens of the same specs. And it has the leica name on it, hence the ridiculous price.

But yea some new lenses should be coming out soon with all the recent players joining m4/3rds.

captive said:
If rumors are correct the 25mm f1.4 is a m4/3 copy of the very highly regarded 4/3rd lens of the same specs. And it has the leica name on it, hence the ridiculous price.

Not worth it with the 20mm F1.7 as a much cheaper alternative, IMHO.

MRORANGE

Nikon D5100 coming release event coming soon:

o4a7ws.jpg

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/04/03/nikon-announcement-in-the-next-36-hours-d5100.aspx

11 AF points
1080p video
Side swivel LCD screen
Some kind of a new “Night Vision” mode
Should use the EN-EL9 battery
14.2MP or 16.2MP sensor – I received conflicting reports on the MP count. I would say the D5100 will have the 16.2MP sensor from the D7000.

the 16.2 MP sensor in the D7000 is the same used in the sony A55, right? sony and nikon's camera production facilities have both been pretty badly hit in the japanese earthquake/tsunami, so i wouldn't be surprised if either any new announcements or release dates get pushed back.

last i heard D7000 production had stopped completely, which sucks given how in-demand that camera already was.

MRORANGE

Sooooo, I just bought a Canon Speedlite 480EX II. Are there any good books/sites you guys recommend on learning to use a flash properly? Or just some basic tips that people rarely say?

Unlimited4s said:
Sooooo, I just bought a Canon Speedlite 480EX II. Are there any good books/sites you guys recommend on learning to use a flash properly? Or just some basic tips that people rarely say?
Bounce your flash, use a diffuser, ensure even lighting when possible. Rarely use it directly against a subject.

On other news, I just bought a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens off Craigslist.
41PcGrASLrL.jpg

The thing is MONEY. I was between a new lens and an iPad 2. Very glad with my choice.

Sample pics I just took a couple days ago:
DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Major Williams said:
Bounce your flash, use a diffuser, ensure even lighting when possible. Rarely use it directly against a subject.

On other news, I just bought a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens off Craigslist.
41PcGrASLrL.jpg

The thing is MONEY. I was between a new lens and an iPad 2. Very glad with my choice.

Sample pics I just took a couple days ago:
DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

Do you have any high resolution sample shots?

I've always wondered if it was worth it to cheap out since its 1/3 the price of the NIkon equivalment

Is the EF 50/1.8 II still a recommendable lens? I'm using the kit lens from my TXi and it's okay in some situations with enough daylight, but most of the time it sucks for low light or indoor images.

tsWqX.jpg

Is the AF of the 50/1.8 really as slow as they say?

MultiCore

brotkasten said:
Is the EF 50/1.8 II still a recommendable lens? I'm using the kit lens from my TXi and it's okay in some situations with enough daylight, but most of the time it sucks for low light or indoor images.

I have one on my 5D2(previously it was on my 450d), and I really like it for the money.
You'll only have AF problems in really low light.

As a step up from the kit lens, it's amazing. I highly recommend it.

brotkasten said:

It's fine as long as you like the 50mm focal length- try setting your kit lens at 50 and shoot for a while without moving the zoom ring. For me 50 is too long for an all-around lens on a crop camera, I'd go for the 35/2 or 28/1.8 despite them costing more. But focal length preference is subjective, it might be perfect for you.

brotkasten said:

Simply unbeatable at that price, it's really excellent. It's quite slow in low light but it will still deliver great images.
It's made of plastic though, so don't expect it to last a lifetime if you often shoot in rough situations. Still, it's one of the better deals in terms of price vs quality.

tino

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
I found someone selling a Nikon FG for only $14, I figure fuck it I'll give a go at manual focusing and film
Not bad. Does the meter still work? You need good manual lens to enjoy the fun of mechanical shooting.

Zyzyxxz said:
I found someone selling a Nikon FG for only $14, I figure fuck it I'll give a go at manual focusing and film

Congrats! I still have my own FG that I bought second-hand in the early '90s. I also had an FM, but I gave that away to a friend of my nephew's who was just getting started in photography.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
JLateralus said:
Does anyone have an opinion on how the EF-S 60mm macro compares to the non L 100 macro?

The EF-S 60 is supposed to be one of the sharpest lens Canon makes, a lens that keeps people shooting on Canon's crop sensors its supposed to be that good. The 100/2.8 Macro has the benefit of a greater working distance though (which makes Macro shooting more comfortable). It also doubles nicely as a portrait lens due to the focal length (more diffused of a background over a 60mm lens). The 100/2.8 is also a solid performing lens in regards to the optics.

I'd honestly choose based on the focal length needed and the working distance you want. The Wider FoV with the 60mm over the 100mm could give your Macro shots a different "look" since most people shoot dedicated macro shots with lenses that are north of 90mm.

BlueTsunami said:
The EF-S 60 is supposed to be one of the sharpest lens Canon makes, a lens that keeps people shooting on Canon's crop sensors its supposed to be that good. The 100/2.8 Macro has the benefit of a greater working distance though (which makes Macro shooting more comfortable). It also doubles nicely as a portrait lens due to the focal length (more diffused of a background over a 60mm lens). The 100/2.8 is also a solid performing lens in regards to the optics.

I'd honestly choose based on the focal length needed and the working distance you want. The Wider FoV with the 60mm over the 100mm could give your Macro shots a different "look" since most people shoot dedicated macro shots with lenses that are north of 90mm.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I think I'll go with the 60... I have the 100 f/2 for portraits, so the length of the 60 was more attractive to me anyway. Glad to hear the IQ is well regarded as well!

Edit: One more quick question... I've never shot with a dedicated macro lens before. Does the magnification affect the depth of field at all, or would it be the same width as a non macro lens at the same aperture?

BlueTsunami

JLateralus said:
Edit: One more quick question... I've never shot with a dedicated macro lens before. Does the magnification affect the depth of field at all, or would it be the same width as a non macro lens at the same aperture?

Yep, the plane of sharpness at Macro distances will be extremely small, especially when shooting the lens wide open. To be able to get more of small subject in focus you'll end up having to bring a tripod and stopping the lens down to f/8 and beyond. Also handshake at Macro distances is magnified so that also makes shooting on a tripod that much more important. Though I think its definitely feasible to shoot macro without a tripod, you just can't be choosey with how much Depth of Field you want (you'll be at the mercy of the natural light you're working with, just like shooting non-macro subjects).

Also the Depth of Field between two lenses should be similar or exactly the same between a dedicated macro lens and a non-macro lens (of the same focal length) when shooting at the same distance.

BlueTsunami said:
Yep, the plane of sharpness at Macro distances will be extremely small, especially when shooting the lens wide open. To be able to get more of small subject in focus you'll end up having to bring a tripod and stopping the lens down to f/8 and beyond. Also handshake at Macro distances is magnified so that also makes shooting on a tripod that much more important. Though I think its definitely feasible to shoot macro without a tripod, you just can't be choosey with how much Depth of Field you want (you'll be at the mercy of the natural light you're working with, just like shooting non-macro subjects).

Also the Depth of Field between two lenses should be similar or exactly the same between a dedicated macro lens and a non-macro lens (of the same focal length) when shooting at the same distance.

Ah, got it. So the narrow plane is not a product of the magnification itself, but rather of the short distances.

Thanks again!

East Lake

Might want to consider running through a quick roll of snapshots with some cheap C-41 film like kodak gold first. Not that it's a difficult process but sometimes it's easy to forget a step when shooting the first few times.

chaostrophy said:
It's fine as long as you like the 50mm focal length- try setting your kit lens at 50 and shoot for a while without moving the zoom ring. For me 50 is too long for an all-around lens on a crop camera, I'd go for the 35/2 or 28/1.8 despite them costing more. But focal length preference is subjective, it might be perfect for you.

is there no inexpensive canon 35/1.8? i know the nikon one is super popular, and it's easily my favourite lens in my sony system despite feeling like it was made from recycled CD cases.

i agree that i find 35mm more generally useful on a crop. a normal lens that performs well wide open is pretty essential, i think.

giga

345triangle said:
is there no inexpensive canon 35/1.8? i know the nikon one is super popular, and it's easily my favourite lens in my sony system despite feeling like it was made from recycled CD cases.

i agree that i find 35mm more generally useful on a crop. a normal lens that performs well wide open is pretty essential, i think.
Nope. Best option is the sigma 30mm.

Zyzyxxz

5597618796_8caabf5f46_b.jpg

I am now the proud owner of a Nikon FG for only $14!

Now to learn the ins and outs of film. Also need a lens since my 35mm/1.8 doesn't have an aperature ring

BlueTsunami

Zyzyxxz said:

Now to learn the ins and outs of film. Also need a lens since my 35mm/1.8 doesn't have an aperature ring

Take a look at all of Nikon's Non-AI, AI and AIS lenses on keh.com. You should be able to get a simple manual focus 35mm Nikkor on the cheap.

Zyzyxxz said:

Kickass deal brah. Are you planning on developing the film yourself?

Milpool

Kamakazie! said:

- Olympus E-PL2
- 14-42mm II

I decided to bite on that kit too since it's on sale on Amazon uk at £588 down from £649, only had it a day but I'm liking it so far. Bearing in mind my last camera was an S3 IS.

tino

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:

Try the metering of the camera against your regular digital camera to see how accurate it is. It may not be accurate. I have a FM2n that meters good and a Canon rangefinder QL17 that's bust. I should have just bought only one mercury battery to test out the rangefinder first.

It's kind of fun to shoot with a non-metering camera though. You basically just stick to very limited metering combo. And you quickly learn to guess the metering going by the time of the day.

There are a bunch of good condition AI, AI-S lens on ebay. Pentax used to have the best deal for used manual lens. But after Pentax went digital, Nikon F mount now has the best selection of cheap manual lens. A lot of them are very compact too!

BlueTsunami

As far as AI and AIS lenses go and you're interested in a slightly wider perspective than 35mm, take a look at Nikon's 28mm offerings (which are the 28mm f/2 AI(S) or the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S). I personally own the 28/2 AI (which I bought in January). Its a fantastic lens. Its brother (the 28/2.8 AI-S) also has a great reputation for having no distortion at all (the 28/2 has a little bit of Pincushion Distortion which I fix in Photoshop when needed). They're both incredible at close up distances and mid distance and great at Infinity.

Here are some shots from the 28/2 AI on my Rebel XT at varying distances...

In the shot of the Womens Restroom you can see what the lens looks like with a +1.3% adjust to Distortion looks like with the lens. Lovely straight lines.

Danoss

JLateralus said:
I thought Sigma's HSM didn't allow for Full Time Manual focusing. I know my Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 with HSM does not do FTM.
I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. It totally allows full-time manual.

Zyzyxxz

Thanks for the tips everybody! Also what if I want to backup film digitally would it be better to do it at Sams Club/Costco or buy a film scanner?

East Lake

Depends on how much you end up using film. A flatbed scanner would probably be the best bet if you use film somewhat regularly, having the film scanned elsewhere is probably going to add a bit to the cost and you'll relinquish control over the entire digitizing portion of the work. For good prints you'd always want to go to a lab because they've got all the high end equipment. Flatbeds just don't have the resolution that a dedicated film or drum scanner will.

giga

JLateralus said:
I thought Sigma's HSM didn't allow for Full Time Manual focusing. I know my Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 with HSM does not do FTM.
That's an anomaly then. Most Sigma EX lenses with HSM have full time MF. The 30 and 50 have it for sure I know that.

Milpool said:
I decided to bite on that kit too since it's on sale on Amazon uk at £588 down from £649, only had it a day but I'm liking it so far. Bearing in mind my last camera was an S3 IS.

Nice one. I got the Amazon pack too. My aim is to start entering the monthly competition and limit myself to doing no external processing. I will use the art filters where I feel but I want to use it to practice getting the right shots at the right time without relying on the editing to get it as I wanted right off the bat.

Plasmid

A girl i graduated with is selling this for 100$.
She said it's been used twice, manuals etc, anyone able to identify what kind it is? or if it's worth 100$?

205785_1635766415891_1288620034_31388255_755861_n.jpg

East Lake

It's either a Pentax P3n (P30n in US) or P3t (P30t in US), hard to tell with that pic. You can check what people are selling them for on ebay, depends on how much the lenses are worth too.

Plasmid

Antimatter said:
It's either a Pentax P3n (P30n in US) or P3t (P30t in US), hard to tell with that pic. You can check what people are selling them for on ebay, depends on how much the lenses are worth too.

Pentax P30T, comes with two lenses (28-70mm f3.5/4.5 Macro Zoom Lens & 70-210mm f4.0/5.6 Macro Zoom Lens) Quantaray QA 25 flash, comes with battereis for the flash, film, neck strap and bag.

Hmm. I'm thinking it's probably worth it just for the lenses + the camera.

mrkgoo

JLateralus said:
Ah, got it. So the narrow plane is not a product of the magnification itself, but rather of the short distances.

Thanks again!
I'm going tO just reiterate how awesome the efs 60 mm macro is. Such awesome colour and sharPness. It had slightly scratchy hokey but nothing to be really concerned about. Oh, it had slight light fall off at wide oPen apertures, but again, typical and not worth fretting over.

I just loved the focal length. I like 50-80ish on croP anyway, so it was just perfect for me. I love the compactness and general versatility of the lens, because unlike the 100, it's a short tele, making it kind of a 50 mm replacement.

Some of the best shots I've ever taken was with my macro, and it would he my most missed lens in the efs line up. That is if it weren't already stolen by aviation 'security'.

One last thing about macro is that the light decreases at macro distances. There's a reason for it, like the image circle increases as you get closer or something, making the same amont of light having to be spread over more area and thus being 'darker'. It just means you will require longer shutter for correct exposure. But don't worry your lght meter knows and comPensates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom