• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I just got my T2i. How do people know what settings they used for every photo? Is this encoded in the picture file somehow? Do they literally write down the settings for every single photo they take???

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Fuji X100 impressions!

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/...from-a-rangefinder-shooter-by-pieter-franken/

It looks to handle high ISO (6400 to be exact) rather nicely. Fast and wide with high ISO capabilities? Thats all thats really needed in my opinion when shooting at night. It also looks like it lacks the sort of punch I'm used to with my Zeiss and Nikon but I have to admit even with the flatter contrast the colors are very flattering.

Hasan

Banned
Timedog said:
I just got my T2i. How do people know what settings they used for every photo? Is this encoded in the picture file somehow? Do they literally write down the settings for every single photo they take???
lol.

golem

BlueTsunami said:
It also looks like it lacks the sort of punch I'm used to with my Zeiss and Nikon but I have to admit even with the flatter contrast the colors are very flattering.
Honestly the output does not look very appealing at this stage.

eastmen

Banned
I have a quick question. My gf and I are going to florida in the fall and she wants to buy a canon dslr i think the t3i . I was hoping to get her a book that teaches the basics of using dslr like what type of lenses are for what type of picture , iso settings , light settings and all that stuff ( you can tell i'm not a photo guy)

Can anyone recommend something that isn't extremely expensive. I wanted to get her a just because gift .

golem

eastmen said:
I have a quick question. My gf and I are going to florida in the fall and she wants to buy a canon dslr i think the t3i . I was hoping to get her a book that teaches the basics of using dslr like what type of lenses are for what type of picture , iso settings , light settings and all that stuff ( you can tell i'm not a photo guy)

Can anyone recommend something that isn't extremely expensive. I wanted to get her a just because gift .
Ive given this book to beginners before: http://www.amazon.com/dp/032147404X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's more of a 'how to do this and that' rather than a 'theory behind photography' book

Danoss

golem said:
Ive given this book to beginners before: http://www.amazon.com/dp/032147404X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's more of a 'how to do this and that' rather than a 'theory behind photography' book
I've heard great things about that series of books, though I haven't read them. Scott Kelby writes really well in layman's terms, making things very easy to understand. That book is part 1 of a 3 part series, which if you want to jump in head-first, you can find the 3 book box-set here.

eastmen said:
One book I found rather useful early on, which really drives a lot of things home is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. This 3rd edition came out just last year with a few added sections which are very helpful for the beginner. If you don't get it for her now, make sure she gets it in her selection at one point or another, it really is a great book.

I have a G12 canon.

Anyone know if there are any good filters, optic lenses etc for that camera?

I would love to be able to be 10-20 meters away from the object that I am taking a photo of but still get very good close up photo.

Danielsan

eastmen said:

I highly recommend this book: Understanding Exposure

Edit: See that I've been beaten. Serves me right for leaving the window open.

GuessWho

hey guys, just wondering are there any similar alternatives to a canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens for an olympus camera? The one from canon is ~150$, but I can't find any from olympus in that price range. Am I boned?

Alright guys and gals. I am looking to upgrade from my Rebel XS in the coming months. I just need something that has better ISO performance and shoots video.

The T3i looks quite interesting. However, part of me wants to shoot on the more expensive 7D. The T3i has pretty much everything I want, but the higher continuous shooting speed and AF points have me strongly considering the 7D. Any advice?

MultiCore

The_Inquisitor said:
Alright guys and gals. I am looking to upgrade from my Rebel XS in the coming months. I just need something that has better ISO performance and shoots video.

The T3i looks quite interesting. However, part of me wants to shoot on the more expensive 7D. The T3i has pretty much everything I want, but the higher continuous shooting speed and AF points have me strongly considering the 7D. Any advice?
Don't bother with the 7D unless you have the money to burn, and a real need for it. The T3i is an amazing body for the money. The price different is not worth it for 90% of people, and the video and picture quality would be identical.

You might also dig that articulating screen on the T3i.

(This is coming from an idiot who just bought the 5D2, so take it for what it's worth.)

sneaky77

The_Inquisitor said:

You can also look into the 60D, I have the 50D and if the T3i is like the T2i it just feels better in your hands.. i found the t2i way too small for me

rass

nothing idiotic about the 5d2 man!
7D is awesome, only had it for a week or 2 but I love it.
Not so keen on the 15-85 EF-s though, should have got another 24-105L. Lensbaby is fun, I use it for everything haha.

I'd like some reviews on this lens.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1103/11030705samyang35mm.asp
35mmf1.4.jpg

edit: samples:
http://samyang.pl/article,8,news

ittoryu

ittoryu said:
Hi guys,

I am sorry for the newbie question but... I am one.

I have a Canon 400D with the usual 18-55mm and the 50mm 1.8f; I was looking to buy another lens and I got caught with this Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (around 150£ on Amazon).

Is it a good lens? Based on the reviews it should be ok, but I guess it would be good to ask you guys as well.

Thanks!

Sorry to bump again the same question but my trap to Japan is getting close! :)

Thank you!

NEO0MJ

So, I'm considering a 3d Camera but have idea about what is available other than the Fujifilm W3 and want to know if there's anything better coming this year. Any one have info or sites to help me?

Kraftwerk

My goal this year is to save up for a camera. i am planning on taking a train to the far north of canada, and recording nature as i go along. Is $2000 a good budget for equipment? It's for personal use.

VNZ

NEO0MJ said:
So, I'm considering a 3d Camera but have idea about what is available other than the Fujifilm W3 and want to know if there's anything better coming this year. Any one have info or sites to help me?
Panasonic makes a 3D lens for the Micro Four Thirds system called H-FT012. Never seen it in person though. If I was to fool around with 3D imagery I'd prefer buying a lens for a capable system, like this, rather than a dedicated 3D camera.

irXRY.jpg

Kraftwerk said:
My goal this year is to save up for a camera. i am planning on taking a train to the far north of canada, and recording nature as i go along. Is $2000 a good budget for equipment? It's for personal use.
I would higly recommend the Canon 7D.

BlueTsunami

Kraftwerk said:

Thats a fantastic budget! As Always-honest said, a 7D with its Kit lens would be a very good system to have. You'd pretty much have the best of the best as far as a crop sensor camera goes from Canon and you'd be able to record video if you wanted. Just make sure to get the 18-135mm kit lens since the other one is only 28mm on the wide end. You'll definitely want a wider focal length when traveling. 18mm to 135mm will be extremely versatile.

On the flip, you could buy a Rebel T2i which would be smaller and a better quality lens with the money you save but the whole process of choosing the best lens for you that fits a bunch of criteria (especially a travel lens) is an intensive one.

7d:
-expensive
-insanely fast auto focus and burst mode (8fps)
-excellent build quality

T2i:
-cheap
-relatively slow
-small and cheap build quality

If you can afford it, go for the 7d, the T2i feels like a toy in comparison (but it's still an excellent camera)

Image quality wise there is not that much of a difference as far as I know though.

sneaky77

any reason why everyone just ignores the 60D on this? It may be barely better than the t2i or t3i, but the body is bigger and so much more comfortable to hold.

Just wondering really cause it seems like is a good in between model, and would leave some budget leftover for a nice lense

Kraftwerk

BlueTsunami said:
Thats a fantastic budget! As Always-honest said, a 7D with its Kit lens would be a very good system to have. You'd pretty much have the best of the best as far as a crop sensor camera goes from Canon and you'd be able to record video if you wanted. Just make sure to get the 18-135mm kit lens since the other one is only 28mm on the wide end. You'll definitely want a wider focal length when traveling. 18mm to 135mm will be extremely versatile.

On the flip, you could buy a Rebel T2i which would be smaller and a better quality lens with the money you save but the whole process of choosing the best lens for you that fits a bunch of criteria (especially a travel lens) is an intensive one.

Well, that's the main thing i would like to do. I guess i didn't specify it. Will the 7D still be the best option in that price range for video recording nature?

BlueTsunami

Kraftwerk said:
Well, that's the main thing i would like to do. I guess i didn't specify it. Will the 7D still be the best option in that price range for video recording nature?

Its one of the best DSLR's you can get that has a lot of functions that facilitate recording of video. With that said, I'm not too knowledgeable on that aspect since I'm shooting with a proverbial dinosaur.

Borman

I've started purchasing things that are compatible with the 7d that I dont have from my t1i setup. First up, a 16gb memory card.Of course, I wont have the camera for a bit, but its a good way to motivate myself!

Chairhome

sneaky77 said:
any reason why everyone just ignores the 60D on this? It may be barely better than the t2i or t3i, but the body is bigger and so much more comfortable to hold.

Just wondering really cause it seems like is a good in between model, and would leave some budget leftover for a nice lense
As an upgrade from a recent camera, i think people are cold on the 60D. I love mine, having upgraded from a 20D. The flipout screen is great, but not practical for everyone. I'm assuming that most people would just rather get a 7D for the couple extra hundred...

ittoryu said:
Thank you for the link, it seems that it will be a good investment... thanks again :)

EDIT: I read now about your brother in law, thanks for that feedback.

I'll second that lens. I originally got the 18-200 lens but it was just too heavy and pricey at I think around $450. Then I got this one and it was significantly lighter and gave me more range at the expense of having to swap lenses. At the price though, it's definitely worthy of the trade off and in many cases, you're either going to need far or near, not both at the same time. Definitely worth the I think $220 I paid for it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i'd go with a 60d with a better lens or lenses.

Lenses >>>>> camera bodies every day of the week and twice on sunday.

ana

Just ordered Canon ef 100/2.8 macro lens.. :)
Now I need kenko extension tubes, flash, mini ball head and a flash bracket (probably DIY) for the summer..

MRORANGE

so I have the Nikon 35mm f1.8 which is just amazing and I was wondering would it be a good idea to get the the Nikon 50mm f1.4 afs as a portrait lens? since it will be used on the DX body it should equal to 75mm on my DX body.

Or should I just stick with my 35mm and just get closer to my subject?

BlueTsunami

MRORANGE said:
so I have the Nikon 35mm f1.8 which is just amazing and I was wondering would it be a good idea to get the the Nikon 50mm f1.4 afs as a portrait lens? since it will be used on the DX body it should equal to 75mm on my DX body.

Or should I just stick with my 35mm and just get closer to my subject?

You could do that but you'll be getting some perspective distortion due to being very close to the subjects face (assuming you want to fill the frame with the subjects face). The benefits with going with a 50mm lens would also be more of a diffused Out of Focus background due to the camera to subject distance being longer. So if you want to do lots of head and shoulder photos, a 50mm (or better yet an 85mm lens, even on a DX body) would be best.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Chairhome said:
As an upgrade from a recent camera, i think people are cold on the 60D. I love mine, having upgraded from a 20D. The flipout screen is great, but not practical for everyone. I'm assuming that most people would just rather get a 7D for the couple extra hundred...

The price between the Canon T3i and the Canon 60D is around $150. The price difference between the Canon 60D and the Canon 7D is almost $600. That is a HUGE price difference.

captive said:
i'd go with a 60d with a better lens or lenses.

Lenses >>>>> camera bodies every day of the week and twice on sunday.

This, I would rather buy a 60D and use the money to pay for a 35L rather than buying a 7D and getting the kit lens.

Hcoregamer00

whalekock said:
Will the successor of the 60D go full frame?

The future successors to the 60D and 7D (which will likely be named 70D and 7D mark II) will likely stay in the APS-C Arena unless Canon has a radical new product strategy for the camera.

The 7D is the high-end APS-C Camera, the 60D is the midrange APS-C camera, and the Rebel series are the low-end APS-C cameras.

whalekock

Hcoregamer00 said:
The future successors to the 60D and 7D (which will likely be named 70D and 7D mark II) will likely stay in the APS-C Arena unless Canon has a radical new product strategy for the camera.

The 7D is the high-end APS-C Camera, the 60D is the midrange APS-C camera, and the Rebel series are the low-end APS-C cameras.
I thought the 7 D was full frame. I know the 60d focal length is multiplied by 1.6, what is it for the 7d?

Hcoregamer00

whalekock said:
I thought the 7 D was full frame. I know the 60d focal length is multiplied by 1.6, what is it for the 7d?

The 5D mark II (and original 5D) along with the 1Ds Mark III are full frame.

Considering the prohibitively high cost of Full Frame, you will not see it percolate into lower end bodies unless the customers like seeing price increases of $1,000 or more across the board.

whalekock

Hcoregamer00 said:
The 5D mark II (and original 5D) along with the 1Ds Mark III are full frame.

Considering the prohibitively high cost of Full Frame, you will not see it percolate into lower end bodies unless the customers like seeing price increases of $1,000 or more across the board.
Thanks for the info. I almost bit on a 60D last week (walked in to get a zinc battery for my canonet, those sales guys are good).

Does anyone want an old M42 80-200 zoom? It's not in the best shape and is heavy as hell, but I got it for free a whike back and will pass it along if anyone wants it. I'll also throw in a M42>EOS mount if you want.

Free to anyone in the CONUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom