• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danoss said:
I haven't used either lens that you listed there. I recommend the 17-50/2.8 (non-VC) because I use it and love it, as do many others. There are many reports out there that the model with VC is not as sharp. I believe for that focal range, VC is not necessary unless you have very shaky hands, more money in your pocket too.

It is a good lens. I have the VC version, and I got the VC because I do a lot of video. Can't comment on whether it's less sharp than the non-VC version, but if you plan to do any video, you're going to want the VC.

Avocado

I'm thinking about buying a cheap flash for my Nikon D7000 - but I have absolutely no idea about what kind of flash is good or even what to look for. I'd mostly use it for portraits when natural light doesnt suffice.

Anyone with any tips?

Radec

Avocado said:
I'm thinking about buying a cheap flash for my Nikon D7000 - but I have absolutely no idea about what kind of flash is good or even what to look for. I'd mostly use it for portraits when natural light doesnt suffice.

Anyone with any tips?

Nikon SB-600.

Danoss

Fleet_of_Foot said:
It is a good lens. I have the VC version, and I got the VC because I do a lot of video. Can't comment on whether it's less sharp than the non-VC version, but if you plan to do any video, you're going to want the VC.
The loss of sharpness isn't visible at all for video, but is very much so for stills.

zk520x.jpg

apparently the new sony a77, which is their high-end SLT. i'm interested in the kit lens at least, which is supposed to be a 16-50mm 2.8.

also i appear to have lost the eyecup piece for my a55. i don't know how to get a new one, nor do i know if i even really need one...thoughts? is it essential? the way the viewfinder protrudes means it already gets closer to my eye than a normal camera would.

as someone who doesn't own a macro lens (beyond a weird 70-210 zoom i use on my pentax 35mm SLR) yet would like to buy one, i also don't see the point of short focal length macros. i suppose if you want maximal depth of field they might come in handy, but chances are you're not going to want to get that close to your subject.

tino

Banned
345triangle said:
as someone who doesn't own a macro lens (beyond a weird 70-210 zoom i use on my pentax 35mm SLR) yet would like to buy one, i also don't see the point of short focal length macros. i suppose if you want maximal depth of field they might come in handy, but chances are you're not going to want to get that close to your subject.
Usually they (50mm marco) are cheaper. Plus you can shoot the close up of a small object with a wide-ish background to tell a story.

Danoss said:
I haven't used either lens that you listed there. I recommend the 17-50/2.8 (non-VC) because I use it and love it, as do many others. There are many reports out there that the model with VC is not as sharp. I believe for that focal range, VC is not necessary unless you have very shaky hands, more money in your pocket too.
tino said:
I would recommend the non-Sigma version just on the accounts of Sigma lens coating has weird green color and my experience of used Sigma was not satisfactory. I had a Sigma 28-70 f2.8, neither the build quality nor exterior material were very good.
Thanks guys, I think that I will buy the Tamron 17-50/f2.8 (non-VC), will give it a try and hey its more user friendly for my wallet, thanks guys really appreciate the help.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Short focal length macros give an interesting perspective that longer ones do not. Here's an example of my 28mm f/2 Nikkor at near 1:1 magnification...

5647704443_aa78a9c954_b.jpg

It can definitely be unwieldy at times and the subject is always near the front element at this distance. But I find the dramatic perspective can be nice.

Another...

5747668663_34a18c30b7_b.jpg

With a longer lens the stamen of each puff would have been flattened a good bit.

BlueTsunami

ganbareneopokekun said:
or a leica m9? : D ( just dreaming .. :( )

There's also used M8's but thats still up in the $4K+ and then there's the cost of a Leica lens (but you could get a Zeiss or Voigtlander for the time being).

BlueTsunami said:
Short focal length macros give an interesting perspective that longer ones do not. Here's an example of my 28mm f/2 Nikkor at near 1:1 magnification...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5103/5647704443_aa78a9c954_b.jpg

It can definitely be unwieldy at times and the subject is always near the front element at this distance. But I find the dramatic perspective can be nice.

Another...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5105/5747668663_34a18c30b7_b.jpg

With a longer lens the stamen of each puff would have been flattened a good bit.

Your photos are amazing. You should post more often in the photography thread.

ganbareneopokekun said:
one day... i'll buy this camera for my m-lenses.. or a leica m9? : D ( just dreaming .. :( )

(RD-1)
If only it didn't have the sensor of a D70.

I'm kinda tempted by the Ricoh GXR + M-mount adapter. And I'm waiting to get a look at the NEX-7. Hopefully I can decide between those and the X100 around September.

Used M8s are hovering between $2000 and $2500 these days, in my experience.

ganbareneopokekun said:
one day... i'll buy this camera for my m-lenses.. or a leica m9? : D ( just dreaming .. :( )
[Epson R-D1]

I got to play with one briefly, friend-of-a-friend had one at a party we were both at. Loved it. You have to 'wind' it after every shot (reset the shutter). From his Flickr feed, he's using an M9 a lot now. So jealous.

aperman

Neo Member
Here we go.

Still Cameras

Canon EOS 5D Mark II DSLR

Canon EOS 3 Film SLR

Kodak Reflex II TLR

Lenses

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Film Cameras

Minolta Zoom 8mm Camera

GAF ST/110 Super 8mm

+ bunch of batteries, CF cards, transmitters, Canon PIXMA Pro 9500 printer, etc. I'm not going to get started on my comp gear.

Former photographer, current film student.

EDIT: Here's some shameless self promotion. My portfolio site.

I don't take photographs as much as I used to, but here's a recent one.

5797706014_0350116dab_z.jpg

Mistle

I've been trying hard to get my hands on a used Sigma 1.4 30, but with warranty still intact just in case I need to get it calibrated...

This search is harder than I thought :/ All the better deals I can find are US shipping only, and I live in Australia.

aperman

Neo Member
XMonkey said:
You shot some of the Midnight Club videos? That's awesome :D

Really cool site, too.

Yep. Director's a close friend of mine, was 2nd unit DP and a whole mess of other things. Fun times.

Thanks for the props! It was fun to design, but hell to code (though to be honest, I'm not that well versed in coding).

Zyzyxxz

jiji said:
If only it didn't have the sensor of a D70.

I'm kinda tempted by the Ricoh GXR + M-mount adapter. And I'm waiting to get a look at the NEX-7. Hopefully I can decide between those and the X100 around September.

Used M8s are hovering between $2000 and $2500 these days, in my experience.

Yeah that GXR body is only $349 too so couple it with a sensor and a nice Summicron and you are still cheaper than a used M9.

I'm more interested in an X100 that has an interchangeable lens mount, especially if it comes in m4/3rds

Danoss

Mistle said:
I've been trying hard to get my hands on a used Sigma 1.4 30, but with warranty still intact just in case I need to get it calibrated...

This search is harder than I thought :/ All the better deals I can find are US shipping only, and I live in Australia.
You're in luck!

Call CR Kennedy (they're the Australian distributor for Sigma) and tell them the best price you have found overseas that will ship to you and where. They will arrange something with your local camera store so you can go and pick it up for that price, Australian warranty and everything!

They know the grey market is making us buy elsewhere, so they offer this price match to stay competitive. Pretty cool, huh?

I haven't done this myself, I found this out on another forum after bringing one in through DWI. The NZ branch of CR Kennedy doesn't do this I hear, so we should consider ourselves lucky.

Suike

Neo Member
aperman said:
Yep. Director's a close friend of mine, was 2nd unit DP and a whole mess of other things. Fun times.

Thanks for the props! It was fun to design, but hell to code (though to be honest, I'm not that well versed in coding).

Definitely a fan of Midnight Club and Saman Keshavarz's work. You guys did an excellent job with those indeed! What made you get out of photography and focus more on film?

cbox

Rented a 70-200 IS MkII for a wedding i'm shooting saturday - wish me luck fellas

Borman - I hate you :p Have fun with your new beast!

Mistle

Danoss said:
You're in luck!

Call CR Kennedy (they're the Australian distributor for Sigma) and tell them the best price you have found overseas that will ship to you and where. They will arrange something with your local camera store so you can go and pick it up for that price, Australian warranty and everything!

They know the grey market is making us buy elsewhere, so they offer this price match to stay competitive. Pretty cool, huh?

I haven't done this myself, I found this out on another forum after bringing one in through DWI. The NZ branch of CR Kennedy doesn't do this I hear, so we should consider ourselves lucky.
Oh really? I've been on the CR Kennedy site before, however I noticed they said that will not repair any grey imports. But I guess if they're willing to sell me Australian stock at a grey price, I'll have to ring them up D: Thanks for the tip!
I have a CameraHouse in my local town, so it'd be much easier to go pick it up from there rather than import directly from Hong Kong or something, and only get overseas warranty.

BlueTsunami

Borman said:

Congrats! My dream combo is that and a 50mm. I could go forever with that setup.

theusedversion said:
Your photos are amazing. You should post more often in the photography thread.

Thank you! I've been in bit of a lull lately though. Hopefully the colors of autumn will reinvigorate my creativity.

Borman said:

Welcome to the club. :) Awesome camera. I agonized over the cost for a long time before I bought mine, but 2 years later I have no regrets.

BlueTsunami said:
Congrats! My dream combo is that and a 50mm. I could go forever with that setup.

I have the Canon 50/1.4, but my favorite prime lens with the 5DII is the Voigtlander 40mm f2. I prefer the slightly wider focal length, and the 40 is sharp and contrasty wide open, plus very compact with a build and tactile quality to die for.

I bought a NIkon D7000 recently have a fair few lenses for it but when I hit NYC in a week. First stop is going to be B+H so I can pick up a 35mm prime lense. The 50mm 1.8 i have is great but with multiplier, its a 82mm? Always always moving backwards. So I'm really looking forward to the new lense.

I'm wondering if I should buy a tripod but I really don't want to be running around 20+ days lugging a tripod around.

I'm thinking about getting a new camera and will be selling my old one to help offset the cost. I've looked on eBay to get an idea about what I should ask for but I see a lot of varied prices so I'm asking you guys what you think I should sell this for.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel 350D
Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens
Canon BG-E3 Battery Grip
Canon Lithium Ion Battery Packs (2)
2GB Compact Flash card
Sigma EF-500 DG Super E0-ETTL II Flash

Is $200 US Dollars too much/too little?

theusedversion said:
I'm thinking about getting a new camera and will be selling my old one to help offset the cost. I've looked on eBay to get an idea about what I should ask for but I see a lot of varied prices so I'm asking you guys what you think I should sell this for.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel 350D
Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens
Canon BG-E3 Battery Grip
Canon Lithium Ion Battery Packs (2)
2GB Compact Flash card
Sigma EF-500 DG Super E0-ETTL II Flash

Is $200 US Dollars too much/too little?

I sold my Rebel XT for $300 on eBay in March of this year after I bought a 60D. I would say mine was in a 7/10 for condition. It included the kit lens (which was in great shape as I never really used it much), 2x batteries, 1x 2GB cf card, and 2x 8GB cf cards. I also had all of the original packaging and manuals.

JLateralus said:
I sold my Rebel XT for $300 on eBay in March of this year after I bought a 60D. I would say mine was in a 7/10 for condition. It included the kit lens (which was in great shape as I never really used it much), 2x batteries, 1x 2GB cf card, and 2x 8GB cf cards. I also had all of the original packaging and manuals.

Ok, thanks. I will start there and see where it goes. I'm currently overseas so I will try Craigslist and hope for the best.

Pepto

Banned
Pachterballs said:
I bought a NIkon D7000 recently have a fair few lenses for it but when I hit NYC in a week. First stop is going to be B+H so I can pick up a 35mm prime lense. The 50mm 1.8 i have is great but with multiplier, its a 82mm?
1.5x crop so 35mm equivalent would be 75mm

Pachterballs said:
I'm wondering if I should buy a tripod but I really don't want to be running around 20+ days lugging a tripod around.
I have D7000 and with a f/1.4 lens I don't need tripod for anything else than hdr and very specific long exposure effects.

Howdy,

I'm going to buy a Canon 550D soon, and I'll be shooting a lot of video with it. I've heard that if I don't want the camera to stop filming after 13 seconds, I'll have to buy a 'special' kind of SD card. Class 10 or something? Are there cards that anyone recommends? How long can I film with them?

eravulgaris said:
Howdy,

I'm going to buy a Canon 550D soon, and I'll be shooting a lot of video with it. I've heard that if I don't want the camera to stop filming after 13 seconds, I'll have to buy a 'special' kind of SD card. Class 10 or something? Are there cards that anyone recommends? How long can I film with them?

I think Class 10 is right. I researched this for a friend a while back. You just need a card that's fast enough that it won't backup the buffer on the camera. Concerning how long you can record, it depends on your settings and how big the card is.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
planar1280 said:
how do you guys find a good spot for photography. There should be a guide for it. Everywhere I look it is all bland
local and state parks for me.

what do you like to shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom