• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
theusedversion said:
I think Class 10 is right. I researched this for a friend a while back. You just need a card that's fast enough that it won't backup the buffer on the camera. Concerning how long you can record, it depends on your settings and how big the card is.

Yeah source? From what I know, you cant pass the 4gb mark because the camera (not the card) isn't fast enough to buffer beyond that. Plus the sensor gets really hot. It's a security precaution that has nothing to do with how fast your card is.

planar1280 said:
how do you guys find a good spot for photography. There should be a guide for it. Everywhere I look it is all bland

That's the difference between they eyes of amateur and pro photographers. Do it long enough and you'll notice that everywhere is a good spot to shoot.

bluerei said:
That's the difference between they eyes of amateur and pro photographers. Do it long enough and you'll notice that everywhere is a good spot to shoot.

I bring out some magic with adobe lightroom but I need more practice

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
planar1280 said:
anything and everything. 550D, 55-250, 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm, 85mm 2.8
than anything and everywhere should be applicable to shoot. I would take that 85mm and 50mm and do some street photography and portraiture. The 18-55 and 55-250 for wildlife and landscapes.

People seem to use that 50mm for everything from pseudo macro photography to portraiture etc.

bluerei said:
Yeah source? From what I know, you cant pass the 4gb mark because the camera (not the card) isn't fast enough to buffer beyond that. Plus the sensor gets really hot. It's a security precaution that has nothing to do with how fast your card is.

Sorry I don't have a source but I believe you're right about the 4GB mark (or 30min). My friend had a 550D and her camera would stop recording after 13 seconds. She bought a faster card and it solved the problem.

Fake Edit: Just took a look at the manual and they recommend a Class 6 card. But if I remember correctly, the lower class cards were hit and miss.

Canon EOS 550D Owner's Manual

gcubed

i know lately this thread has been focusing on the big boy cameras but i need a recommendation on an ultra compact. I need something small enough to fit in my pocket that takes decent pictures better then cell phone pictures.

Its going to mainly be used when i go on motorcycle rides with my wife. We want something that will be easy enough to either be in a pocket or around one of our necks to be able to take pictures easily. I know i am going to sacrifice quality, flash, speed, etc but I have another camera for that...

In my quick googling the best i could come up with was the canon elph 100 HS, anyone have any other recommendations?

tino

Banned
gcubed said:
i know lately this thread has been focusing on the big boy cameras but i need a recommendation on an ultra compact. I need something small enough to fit in my pocket that takes decent pictures better then cell phone pictures.

Its going to mainly be used when i go on motorcycle rides with my wife. We want something that will be easy enough to either be in a pocket or around one of our necks to be able to take pictures easily. I know i am going to sacrifice quality, flash, speed, etc but I have another camera for that...

In my quick googling the best i could come up with was the canon elph 100 HS, anyone have any other recommendations?
LX5 S95 F300

With a baby on the way, I am looking to upgrade my camera from a point & shoot to something that takes much nicer photographs.

From my intial research I really like both the Nikon D3100 and the Canon T2i. The Canon is a little more expensive, but supposedly shoots much nicer video. Any advice from more experienced GAFers? Is DSLR the right way to go, or should I be looking at some of the new mirrorless cameras?

element

Once I get paid, I'm going to rent a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC. I hear with VC/IS, you can shot at 1/5 sec with lots of cool effect.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
asa said:
Any good camera bag suggestions?
I'm thinking about getting National Geographic's 2345 but they're quite expensive(about 110€ in Finland) and hard to find. Any other "stylish" but functional camera bags out there?

Dunno about stylish but I manage quite nicely with the smallest Lowepro slingshot with an extra lens case slung on the strap. It isn't very big, but it holds everything I've got and on a trip out I just leave something at home so I have space for sandwiches.

When I'm out walking I generally leave the bag in the car and put the extra lens case on my belt just in case.

I suppose it rather depends what you are doing with it - I guess long hikes you might need something bigger.

MaizeRage25 said:
With a baby on the way, I am looking to upgrade my camera from a point & shoot to something that takes much nicer photographs.

From my intial research I really like both the Nikon D3100 and the Canon T2i. The Canon is a little more expensive, but supposedly shoots much nicer video. Any advice from more experienced GAFers? Is DSLR the right way to go, or should I be looking at some of the new mirrorless cameras?

You can still get good point & shoots - things like the Canon G-series do a heck of a good job, you can get tremendous pictures from them. The niceness of the photograph depends more on the photographer than on the camera mostly.

So it isn't really a "is DSLR right" question. I've gone DSLR only quite recently because I want to do a lot more with my photography - and only since my children grew up.

But when it comes to babies - and your own babies especially - there's a heck of a lot to be said for a camera you can shove in your pocket and have with you all the time, because otherwise you're going to lose the moment.

Get a DSLR by all means, but your best baby shots are going to be taken with whatever camera is to hand, and it won't be the DSLR probably.

(credentials: 3 children, 2 cameras)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
asa said:
Any good camera bag suggestions?
I'm thinking about getting National Geographic's 2345 but they're quite expensive(about 110€ in Finland) and hard to find. Any other "stylish" but functional camera bags out there?

The $ amount for that bag looks about right. You'll be spending around $70 (US) baseline for a good bag. I personally own the Domke F-5XB (which is around the same price). It doesn't have as much pockets as the Geographic 2345 but its quite sleek.

Here's my Domke...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluetsunami/5709482721/

tokkun

phisheep said:
So it isn't really a "is DSLR right" question. I've gone DSLR only quite recently because I want to do a lot more with my photography - and only since my children grew up.

But when it comes to babies - and your own babies especially - there's a heck of a lot to be said for a camera you can shove in your pocket and have with you all the time, because otherwise you're going to lose the moment.

Get a DSLR by all means, but your best baby shots are going to be taken with whatever camera is to hand, and it won't be the DSLR probably.

There is definitely truth in that, but one thing I would like to mention is that the high burst rate you can get with a DSLR should not be underestimated. A high framerate is really the key to capturing "just the right moment". When my brother asked me to recommend a camera for him to use with his new son, I suggested that he buy the Sony a55 for that reason.

Hey guys, whats the opinion on manual flashes? I want to get a dedicated flash but my budget doesn't allow for a full TTL flash. I can get a powerful manual flash for significantly less and learn to use it, is there anything I should know before jumping in?

Sony camera fyi

Also on the bag question above, I recently bought one of these off ebay:

5.jpg

for about $50AUD. I use it for just the camera and the lens it has attached, for more casual settings and day trips.

tino

Banned
Some of the flash photography you do simply don't need anything but manual flash. I have two huge Vivitar 285hv. I bounce off various reflectors to take portrait photos. BTW I only recommend used 285hv, they are more robust than the new ones. Of course manual flash is slower than TTL.

Oh you have a Sony? You can't use anything but Sony/Minolta flash then.

phisheep said:
You can still get good point & shoots - things like the Canon G-series do a heck of a good job, you can get tremendous pictures from them. The niceness of the photograph depends more on the photographer than on the camera mostly.

Thanks for the advice (as a soon-to-be father, I'll take as much as I can get).

I do have a relatively decent point-and-shoot which I can always have on me, but would like to also get a nicer option for portraits and more controlled situations. Also, it's a good excuse to get more serious about photography. It doesn't need to be super portable which is why I was leaning towards the DSLR instead of a mirrorless (also no Canon or Nikon in that market yet).

Right now I'm leaning towards the T2i or D3100/5100, and just was curious if that would be a good choice for a DSLR beginner.

tino said:
Some of the flash photography you do simply don't need anything but manual flash. I have two huge Vivitar 285hv. I bounce off various reflectors to take portrait photos. BTW I only recommend used 285hv, they are more robust than the new ones. Of course manual flash is slower than TTL.

Oh you have a Sony? You can't use anything but Sony/Minolta flash then.

YongHuo is a brand that make manual flashes for Sony cameras, thankfully.

Took some pics with this lens, not too shabby. Macro capabilities isn't as close as I would like, but the 9 blade diaphragm sure does show itself well.

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0509.jpg

DSC_0513.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg

^Macro shot kind of.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
MaizeRage25 said:
Thanks for the advice (as a soon-to-be father, I'll take as much as I can get).

I do have a relatively decent point-and-shoot which I can always have on me, but would like to also get a nicer option for portraits and more controlled situations. Also, it's a good excuse to get more serious about photography. It doesn't need to be super portable which is why I was leaning towards the DSLR instead of a mirrorless (also no Canon or Nikon in that market yet).

Right now I'm leaning towards the T2i or D3100/5100, and just was curious if that would be a good choice for a DSLR beginner.

Either of those would do just fine as a first DSLR.

I went with the T2i myself, mostly because I'd been using Canon digitals for years and was more familiar with the interface. There's a bit of a learning curve whatever you go with but it seems pretty much the same whatever the camera (I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of young friends on a photography course at the local college and they have a fairly mixed bag of cameras between them).

It's worth getting yourself to a camera shop and trying both out in your hands, see what you like the feel of best.

Cameras aside, enjoy the baby - they're great fun!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
with kids, there is a lot to be said for 'the camera that is always there'. and having a compact (or even a good cellphone camera) with you at all times is very useful. Just throw it in your backpack/glovebox etc.

But there is also something to be said for being able to 'capture the moment'. Compacts are often simply not responsive enough to capture a spontaneous moment. Even something as simple as taking a photo of a child on a merry-go-round - a fairly predictable movement - can be difficult on a compact due to focus speed and shutter lag. At least you'll have a few tried to get the timing right. Then add in other situations with less predictable movement and a compact can be less than useless. Note 'in some situations', not all. For posed shots/landscapes/bright sunny days it can be perfect.

Basically one size doesn't fit all. Although a mirrorless camera with a pancake lens on gets pretty close for a family shooter.

cbox

the 70-200 IS II is the best lens I've used in my history of photography. I really REALLY want to buy it now, but the price is really steep.

Someone hold me :(

spicy cho

BlueTsunami said:
The $ amount for that bag looks about right. You'll be spending around $70 (US) baseline for a good bag. I personally own the Domke F-5XB (which is around the same price). It doesn't have as much pockets as the Geographic 2345 but its quite sleek.

Here's my Domke...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluetsunami/5709482721/
I have the same bag, same color. Great quality, fits my kx and 4 primes (using optech double lens caps), and a metz 24 flash and extra set of batteries.

ConvenientBox said:
the 70-200 IS II is the best lens I've used in my history of photography. I really REALLY want to buy it now, but the price is really steep.

Yeah, it was too pricey for me. The 70-200 F4 IS is a fantastic lens too though, and it's a lot cheaper and lighter- it's the one I picked for my tele zoom.

tino

Banned
chaostrophy said:
Yeah, it was too pricey for me. The 70-200 F4 IS is a fantastic lens too though, and it's a lot cheaper and lighter- it's the one I picked for my tele zoom.
I agree with you. If I don't get paid I don't want to shoot with a 70-200 2.8.

captive

whenever I buy another DSLR I'll be going 70-200 f4. Weight, price and optical quality, and sometimes you'll end up stopping down to f4 anyway for depth of field or for better sharpness.

Radec

I wish Nikon will release an f4 version of their 70-200.

I sold mine because I can't bear the weight of it.

Fantastic lens though.

cbox

chaostrophy said:

Ya that's something i'd consider for my hobby photography. I went with the 2.8 because I was shooting a dark hall, and it performed beautifully, fell in love with it's stability and super fast AF.

Ok guys i have bought the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 non-VC for my low level entry dslr Nikon D5000, have to wait until 1st of August to have it though, when it arrives I will try it and post something here, hope me well guys!

Suike

Neo Member
ConvenientBox said:

You could always buy used, or look for a refurb? Canon had that awesome deal a few weeks ago and it was only $1,700. Normally the refurb is $2,000 which is still a very fair price for the IS II.

captive

reggieandTFE said:
What system are you moving to?
I bought a Fuji GX617 back in May. It's Panoramic Medium format film camera. It has a film area roughly 11 times larger than 35mm, which would make it roughly 22 times bigger than 4/3rds.

I'm selling my 4/3rds stuff to do some other things and buy a imacon scanner as i'm not happy with the quality or prices professional labs are charging for scans of my film. $65 bucks for one scan, after 50 scans I could have paid for my own used imacon, which is what im doing. Not to mention i've already had to send scans back once to one place to be redone and asked for a refund from another because the scans were so crap.

And with the dollar to yen, my 300f2.8 is fluctuating between 700 and 1500 dollars more than what I paid for it new so i'll only lose a couple of hundred on it, which has been made up for anyway in photo sales.

So whenever I get the scanner and get some practice on it i'll be able to scan stuff for any gaffers that want.

Whenever I go digital again, I'll probably get a canikon full frame 5dmk2, d700 or d3x and a 24-70 or 24-105, 300f4 and 500f4. But what i've learned is used is the way to go, especially with bodies, they devalue so quick its not even funny.

I'm keeping my Pen and my 12-60 and 20mm for portraits and other things. And to meter for my Fuji.

Zyzyxxz

i've recently got a film camera to play around with and if you would offer to scan for a reasonable price I would gladly pay.

FQqyO.jpg

This is so hilarious, I had to share. 70-200s for pawn pieces haha

edit: link to source HERE

The complete 32 piece set includes 70-200 f/2.8 pawns, 600mm f/4 Kings and 500mm f4 Queens, 400mm f/2.8 Bishops, 300mm f/2.8 Knights, and 200mm f/2.0 Rooks in black (Nikon) and white (Canon).

JORMBO

Darkness no more
ConvenientBox said:

Someone offered to let me try theirs out. This is why I declined the offer :p

gcubed said:

gcubed said:
was trying to avoid the lens bump.
gcubed, I picked up one of these recently...small, smooth, streamlined, and even waterproof. Truly pocket-sized. Can also shoot HD video.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H8FNGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

31lj7OB5NCL._AA300_.jpg

milkham

spicy cho said:
I have the same bag, same color. Great quality, fits my kx and 4 primes (using optech double lens caps), and a metz 24 flash and extra set of batteries.

what is a double lens cap?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I also need a good point and shoot camera but that cannon S95 is kind of pricy on bestbuy. Almost $400!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom