• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I had the pleasure of using the Canon 85mm f1.2L II during Anime Expo 2011. The lens was incredibly sharp across the frame and it felt really good in your hands. I could see why people love this lens.

I would buy this no hesitation, but the darn thing costs $2,100 now. With that much money I could save up a little bit more and buy the 70-200mm f2.8L II that everyone is raving about.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Shooting at the beach tommorow for the first time. Hopefully my camera and lights survive all the sand :p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hcoregamer00 said:
I had the pleasure of using the Canon 85mm f1.2L II during Anime Expo 2011. The lens was incredibly sharp across the frame and it felt really good in your hands. I could see why people love this lens.

I would buy this no hesitation, but the darn thing costs $2,100 now. With that much money I could save up a little bit more and buy the 70-200mm f2.8L II that everyone is raving about.

God. I remember when it sat around $1600. But every lens seems to have been hit. One of the best lens buys was the 135L at $850 two years ago, now its over $1K.

BlueTsunami

'Dat small sensor. I guess Nikon doesn't want to make a mirrorless that'll bite into their entry level DSLRs (unless they price this to replace said DSLRs). It mind boggling that even Nikon doesn't want to attempt to challenge Sony with a NEX level camera.

tino

Banned
Now I just need to wait for Canon and Fuji to announce their EVIL sensor size then its safe to invest in a 1.5X format.

tino said:
Now I just need to wait for Canon and Fuji to announce their EVIL sensor size then its safe to invest in a 1.5X format.

Canon decided to make their own sensor. They found too many barriers with EVIL. The Canon prototype sensor was shown at last year's NAB and before that in Europe.

East Lake

captive said:
I bought a Fuji GX617 back in May. It's Panoramic Medium format film camera. It has a film area roughly 11 times larger than 35mm, which would make it roughly 22 times bigger than 4/3rds.

I'm selling my 4/3rds stuff to do some other things and buy a imacon scanner as i'm not happy with the quality or prices professional labs are charging for scans of my film. $65 bucks for one scan, after 50 scans I could have paid for my own used imacon, which is what im doing. Not to mention i've already had to send scans back once to one place to be redone and asked for a refund from another because the scans were so crap.

And with the dollar to yen, my 300f2.8 is fluctuating between 700 and 1500 dollars more than what I paid for it new so i'll only lose a couple of hundred on it, which has been made up for anyway in photo sales.

So whenever I get the scanner and get some practice on it i'll be able to scan stuff for any gaffers that want.

Whenever I go digital again, I'll probably get a canikon full frame 5dmk2, d700 or d3x and a 24-70 or 24-105, 300f4 and 500f4. But what i've learned is used is the way to go, especially with bodies, they devalue so quick its not even funny.

I'm keeping my Pen and my 12-60 and 20mm for portraits and other things. And to meter for my Fuji.
That's gonna be a bitchin' setup once you get the scanner, probably close to the 180 megapixel range for panoramic scans.
sc8Op.gif

Shoot any Velvia 50 yet?

tino

Banned
bluerei said:
Canon decided to make their own sensor. They found too many barriers with EVIL. The Canon prototype sensor was shown at last year's NAB and before that in Europe.
Canon has always used its own sensors.

What I want is a Fujifilm EVIL 1.5x system with Fuji's own superCCD sensor. Probably asking too much.

FourDoor

The camera bag that I got with my D7000 is getting too small already and a burden to travel with. So now, I'm looking to get a backpack camera bag that has a slot for a laptop so I can combine my laptop backpack with a camera bag all in one.

What brand/model do you guys recommend?

Right now I just have the D7000, 18-200, 35mm, charger, rocket air blaster, black rapid strap, laptop when I'm traveling, and ipad that I want throw in it. But in the future I want to be able to hook up a tripod and 2-3more lenses.

Suike

Neo Member
Need some opinions/advice:

I have an opportunity to get a used 85mm f/1.8 at a pretty fair price but I'm wondering how much I'd actually use it. I currently have a 7D with 24-70 2.8, 50 1.4 and crappy 75-300. I plan on buying a 70-200 2.8 IS II later this year, but this 85 came up and has tickled my fancy. I love shooting with primes and use my 50 1.4 probably more than anything else. However, I really would love to have a wider prime like a 28 1.8. But this 85 1.8 is supposed to be a really nice lens and has me intrigued.

Anybody that owns both a 50 and 85, or either, have any opinions? Ultimately I'll be moving to a 5DIII next year as well.

BlueTsunami said:
God. I remember when it sat around $1600. But every lens seems to have been hit. One of the best lens buys was the 135L at $850 two years ago, now its over $1K.

No kidding! The tsunami really hurt the prices. I bought my 24-70 for $1,150 back in 2008. Now it's $1,400!

milkham

FourDoor said:
The camera bag that I got with my D7000 is getting too small already and a burden to travel with. So now, I'm looking to get a backpack camera bag that has a slot for a laptop so I can combine my laptop backpack with a camera bag all in one.

What brand/model do you guys recommend?

Right now I just have the D7000, 18-200, 35mm, charger, rocket air blaster, black rapid strap, laptop when I'm traveling, and ipad that I want throw in it. But in the future I want to be able to hook up a tripod and 2-3more lenses.

maybe this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I42XWQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20 depends on how big your laptop is i guess

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
the_log_ride said:
http://i.imgur.com/FQqyO.jpg[IMG]

This is so hilarious, I had to share. 70-200s for pawn pieces haha

edit: link to source [url=https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/supertelephoto/lensrentals-chess-set]HERE[/url][/QUOTE]
thats awesome. A coworker(he's a canon guy) and I were joking around about putting in a PO to our boss to rent them for a week.

[QUOTE=Zyzyxxz]i've recently got a film camera to play around with and if you would offer to scan for a reasonable price I would gladly pay.[/QUOTE]
That's the plan. It's just outrageous to me that a professional lab can charge $65 a scan and the scan is crap. It's like they don't put any effort or care into the scan. From what i've seen and read its really not that hard, just like anything else, it takes practice.

[QUOTE=Antimatter]That's gonna be a bitchin' setup once you get the scanner, probably close to the 180 megapixel range for panoramic scans. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sc8Op.gif
Yea thats what i'm hoping. The usuable scans I have gotten come in at about 400+ mb.
Shoot any Velvia 50 yet?
Absolutely, 50 and 100, but I recently shot them side by side on the same subject and RVP100 has a serious magenta cast so despite 50's reciprocity failure needing compensation even after 1 second i'll be switching to that.

Suike said:
Need some opinions/advice:

I have an opportunity to get a used 85mm f/1.8 at a pretty fair price but I'm wondering how much I'd actually use it. I currently have a 7D with 24-70 2.8, 50 1.4 and crappy 75-300. I plan on buying a 70-200 2.8 IS II later this year, but this 85 came up and has tickled my fancy. I love shooting with primes and use my 50 1.4 probably more than anything else. However, I really would love to have a wider prime like a 28 1.8. But this 85 1.8 is supposed to be a really nice lens and has me intrigued.
Do you like to do portraits and like compressed telephoto feel and or shallow depth of field? I would get it. This is coming from someone who's never used it. But Kirk tuck seems to love it.

golem

tino said:
Canon has always used its own sensors.

What I want is a Fujifilm EVIL 1.5x system with Fuji's own superCCD sensor. Probably asking too much.
People are saying Fuji is going Micro 4/3s

tino

Banned
golem said:
People are saying Fuji is going Micro 4/3s
People as in M43 fans. Fuji is a hard company to predict going by past hisory. It has only collaborated with Nikon. And it was not a happy union.

There was report of Sony and Fujifilm eyeing oversea aquisition after the Japanese Earthquake.

I wonder if Fuji can buy any non-Japan photography property to relaunch an interchangable camera system.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Suike said:
No kidding! The tsunami really hurt the prices. I bought my 24-70 for $1,150 back in 2008. Now it's $1,400!

The tsunami had an effect, but camera and lenses have been on a vicious price spiral ever since the dollar's value went to crap.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that recommended the Canon 50mm 1.8 I am in love with the lens. Now, I've got my eye on the Sigma 30mm for situations when I need to be a little closer.

kaskade

theusedversion said:
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that recommended the Canon 50mm 1.8 I am in love with the lens. Now, I've got my eye on the Sigma 30mm for situations when I need to be a little closer.
Awesome, I just ordered one for my little trip to the city for a few days. I want to try and shoot only with the 50mm(distance permitting) to see if I can force myself to get some more interesting shots. I kind of want to get a bit more serious with shooting.

Did the earthquake cause the prices to increase a bit? I remember the 50mm being 100 for a long time. It was 120 when I ordered it yesterday. When I checked camelcamelcamel.com the price did seem to go up around the time of it. I guess I shouldn't have waited.

Lens should be here tomorrow though. I can't wait to try it out.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
kaskade said:
Did the earthquake cause the prices to increase a bit? I remember the 50mm being 100 for a long time. It was 120 when I ordered it yesterday. When I checked camelcamelcamel.com the price did seem to go up around the time of it. I guess I shouldn't have waited.
The earthquake likely didn't affect the 50mm as I highly doubt its made in Japan. Canon and Nikon typically make their top end lenses and cameras in Japan and the entry level and mid level stuff is made elsewhere.

The dollar value vs the Yen is more likely your culprit, generally I haven't seen it affect low end gear as much as middle and high end.

BlueTsunami

Possible NEX 7 specs...

Finally I got some NEX-7 specs to share with you!
1) The NEX-7 has a metal body
2) A new super fast contrast autofocus
3) Built-in 3 million dot OLED viewfinder
4) 24 Megapixel
5) ISO 100-25.600
6) 24p HD-video
7) Pop-up flash

humina humina

Link: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-first-nex-7-specs/

24 Megapixels for a 1.5x sensor seems like a bit much though. Its gonna be very dense and will definitely magnify the weaknesses of the NEX native lenses when viewed at 100% (so pixel peepers will cry). Just give me the Zeiss 24/1.7 with the NEX 7 and I'll be happy.

The inclusion of a viewfinder will definitely appeal to professionals even more. The fact that its using the A77's OLED viewfinder just gives me a boner.

Watch it be wishful thinking. I'll cry.

captive said:
The earthquake likely didn't affect the 50mm as I highly doubt its made in Japan. Canon and Nikon typically make their top end lenses and cameras in Japan and the entry level and mid level stuff is made elsewhere.

The dollar value vs the Yen is more likely your culprit, generally I haven't seen it affect low end gear as much as middle and high end.

Prices tend to go higher when vacation hits. I'm looking at the Sigma 30 1.4 and it went from 400 to 450 from may to june. It's at 425 now. Will dip soon.

tino

Banned
Nikon most likely will use the same 24mp sensor on D400/D9000. I really don't want a even higher-re sensor. All I want is a 10-12mp sensor with wide dynamic range.

But what can you do. The consumer market dictate the spec. There is no way to get high dynamic range without paying 2000 for a full frame body.

Also, build-in EVF? This thing will look like a Giant Canon G.

MRORANGE

BlueTsunami said:
Possible NEX 7 specs...

humina humina

Link: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-first-nex-7-specs/

24 Megapixels for a 1.5x sensor seems like a bit much though. Its gonna be very dense and will definitely magnify the weaknesses of the NEX native lenses when viewed at 100% (so pixel peepers will cry). Just give me the Zeiss 24/1.7 with the NEX 7 and I'll be happy.

The inclusion of a viewfinder will definitely appeal to professionals even more. The fact that its using the A77's OLED viewfinder just gives me a boner.

Watch it be wishful thinking. I'll cry.

omg, if this is all true..... *faints* I do love the nex7 concept picture really does look awesome and you know sony will make it look like one classy camera.

MRORANGE said:
omg, if this is all true..... *faints* I do love the nex7 concept picture really does look awesome and you know sony will make it look like one classy camera.
I don't think the NEX bodies were very classy, but that's just my opinion. I much prefer the retro look of the E-p3 or Fuji X100

Also, didn't the 24/1.7 get downgraded to a f/2 max aperture?

tokkun

reggieandTFE said:
I don't think the NEX bodies were very classy, but that's just my opinion. I much prefer the retro look of the E-p3 or Fuji X100

From what little we've seen of the NEX-7, it looks kind of similar to the X100...

BlueTsunami

reggieandTFE said:
Also, didn't the 24/1.7 get downgraded to a f/2 max aperture?

I seem to remember hearing this too. If that's the case I wonder if it'll be like the Zeiss ZA 24/2 for FF cameras (I remember reading the NEX 24mm lens was supposed to be tailored towards a mirroless and smaller sensor body resulting in a smaller lens).

Forsete

BlueTsunami said:
I seem to remember hearing this too. If that's the case I wonder if it'll be like the Zeiss ZA 24/2 for FF cameras (I remember reading the NEX 24mm lens was supposed to be tailored towards a mirroless and smaller sensor body resulting in a smaller lens).

The 24mm Zeiss NEX lens is F2 according to Sonys lens roadmap. It is smaller than the 1.7 prototype which was shown before.

2ikqd52.png

Also looking forward to the NEX7. NEX is the system for the future. :) I only use my A900 on special occasions (<3 35mm DOF and proper wireless flash support), otherwise its NEX all the way.
Hopefully NEX7 will have a (or the ability to have it via an adapter) iISO shoe for Sony/Minolta flashes and support for wireless triggering.

not sure on the zeiss seeing as it'll probably cost the same as an x100 alone, but that 40mm F2 will be mine for sure. awesome length (and presumably size) for street.

Thinking about getting the Sony Alpha 18-250mm 3.5-6.3 SAL18250. Does anyone have an opinion on this lens as an everyday zoom? I think Tokkun mentioned he had one.

tokkun

opticalmace said:
Thinking about getting the Sony Alpha 18-250mm 3.5-6.3 SAL18250. Does anyone have an opinion on this lens as an everyday zoom? I think Tokkun mentioned he had one.

That's correct.

My opinion is that it is a great lens if your goal is to reduce the number of lenses you have to carry. I have a compact camera bag that will fit my a55 body and two lenses, and if I load up with the 18-250mm and the Minolta 50mm f/2.8 Macro that is a really flexible combo.

You can certainly get by with the 18-250 as your only lens, but there are two weaknesses from my perspective - both of which you could probably guess from the specs.

1. It's a good, but not great portrait lens. If you want something that will give you shallow DOF and gorgeous bokeh, add a faster prime lens like the Minolta 50mm Macro, Minolta 50mm f/1.8 (or Sony f/1.4), or the 35mm f/1.8. All are reasonably priced.

2. At f/6.3 it's not very fast on the telephoto end. There's not much you can do about this, other than buy a dedicated telephoto lens like the Beercan (which has shorter range).

So yeah, it has some compromises, but they're exactly the compromises you would expect with this type of lens in this price class.

opticalmace said:

yeah i have this lens too (bought it with my a55 as a kit, instead of the 18-55) - i'd agree with tokkun's post and say it is definitely worth getting as an "i'm only going to take one lens on a weekend trip" type thing. there's quite a lot of distortion at 18mm and it's pretty slow at the long end, but it otherwise performs well and the build quality is decent. coupled with the tiny and awesome 35mm 1.8 in my pocket, there's not a lot i can't do in a pinch.

http://kurtmunger.com/sony_dt_18_250mm_f_3_5_6_3id175.html

here's a review with samples! that site has a lot of good information on sony lenses.

Is this the thread to post questions about lower-end cameras too? I've been using a Canon PowerShot A540 for a couple of years and I'm pretty happy with it, but some things are beginning to bug me.

I'm using it for general vacation shots but I also spend a lot of time at home with an amateur lightbox setup, taking pictures from a tripod. There's some work I need to do to improve that, but I also feel an upgrade of the camera is in order. I figure I should be able to get something much better for around $150-$200.

What I want, aside from more resolution of course, is a better video mode so I can start actually using it for video instead of just capturing a little clip now and then. So I want something that works as a decent HD camera, even if it's not the main purpose. Better wide angle shot options would be nice, and also a closer minimum focus range for closeups. More zoom (4x now) could also be useful but I rarely use that much since I'm mostly doing closeup studio work or landscape pictures.

I'd prefer AA batteries since they're easy to replace but it's no big deal. Size doesn't matter much. Should I get one of the current Canon models or is there a better option currently?

Sample picture:

atu4k7.jpg

On that note, might as well ask: I like to take backlit shots with the sun filtering through. Is this killing my equipment or is it safe to do?

Ember128

I found an old Rebel 2000 35mm Film Camera on eBay for less than $25 with shipping. It works with all the lenses/flashes I have now too! I'm going to take it for a quick spin with some cheap negative film first.

Any thoughts on Colour Slide Film? I was thinking Velvia 50 for Macro, and Provia 100F for Portrait/General purpose.

tino

Banned
SiegfriedFM said:
Is this the thread to post questions about lower-end cameras too? I've been using a Canon PowerShot A540 for a couple of years and I'm pretty happy with it, but some things are beginning to bug me.

I'm using it for general vacation shots but I also spend a lot of time at home with an amateur lightbox setup, taking pictures from a tripod. There's some work I need to do to improve that, but I also feel an upgrade of the camera is in order. I figure I should be able to get something much better for around $150-$200.
Used F200exr F300exr LX3

What I want, aside from more resolution of course, is a better video mode so I can start actually using it for video instead of just capturing a little clip now and then. So I want something that works as a decent HD camera, even if it's not the main purpose. Better wide angle shot options would be nice, and also a closer minimum focus range for closeups. More zoom (4x now) could also be useful but I rarely use that much since I'm mostly doing closeup studio work or landscape pictures.

Well if you need video, you can't use cheap used SLR then. Panasonic probably has better video than Fujifilm.

I'd prefer AA batteries since they're easy to replace but it's no big deal. Size doesn't matter much. Should I get one of the current Canon models or is there a better option currently?

Sample picture:

On that note, might as well ask: I like to take backlit shots with the sun filtering through. Is this killing my equipment or is it safe to do?

Just forget about AA. Just no. You can get cheap ass replacement battery on ebay for like 3 cents. Use AA for camera nowadays is as dumb as using AA for your cellphone. (I am looking at you Pentax.)

It won't kill your camera and you may want to invest in a circular polarizer to bring out the detail.

East Lake

Ember128 said:
Any thoughts on Colour Slide Film? I was thinking Velvia 50 for Macro, and Provia 100F for Portrait/General purpose.
I really like Ektachrome E100G, it's basically my first choice if Velvia 50's color would be too wild, would be good for portraits. I've also been overexposing Velvia by 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop and it's turning out nicely.

tokkun said:
That's correct.

My opinion is that it is a great lens if your goal is to reduce the number of lenses you have to carry. I have a compact camera bag that will fit my a55 body and two lenses, and if I load up with the 18-250mm and the Minolta 50mm f/2.8 Macro that is a really flexible combo.

You can certainly get by with the 18-250 as your only lens, but there are two weaknesses from my perspective - both of which you could probably guess from the specs.

1. It's a good, but not great portrait lens. If you want something that will give you shallow DOF and gorgeous bokeh, add a faster prime lens like the Minolta 50mm Macro, Minolta 50mm f/1.8 (or Sony f/1.4), or the 35mm f/1.8. All are reasonably priced.

2. At f/6.3 it's not very fast on the telephoto end. There's not much you can do about this, other than buy a dedicated telephoto lens like the Beercan (which has shorter range).

So yeah, it has some compromises, but they're exactly the compromises you would expect with this type of lens in this price class.

345triangle said:
yeah i have this lens too (bought it with my a55 as a kit, instead of the 18-55) - i'd agree with tokkun's post and say it is definitely worth getting as an "i'm only going to take one lens on a weekend trip" type thing. there's quite a lot of distortion at 18mm and it's pretty slow at the long end, but it otherwise performs well and the build quality is decent. coupled with the tiny and awesome 35mm 1.8 in my pocket, there's not a lot i can't do in a pinch.

http://kurtmunger.com/sony_dt_18_250mm_f_3_5_6_3id175.html

here's a review with samples! that site has a lot of good information on sony lenses.

Thanks a lot to both of you. I think I am going to pick up a used one and add a prime lens a little later (probably that 35mm 1.8). Can I assume there's no reason to hold onto the kit 18-55 3.5-5.6 if/when I get the 18-250?

tokkun

opticalmace said:
Thanks a lot to both of you. I think I am going to pick up a used one and add a prime lens a little later (probably that 35mm 1.8). Can I assume there's no reason to hold onto the kit 18-55 3.5-5.6 if/when I get the 18-250?

I'd say the primary reason you might choose to hold on to the kit is ergonomics. The kit lens is a little smaller and weighs about half as much as the superzoom. On the smaller SLT bodies, it feels a little more balanced when you are holding the camera up to your eye. But I'm not sure that's enough reason to keep another lens around.

tokkun said:
I'd say the primary reason you might choose to hold on to the kit is ergonomics. The kit lens is a little smaller and weighs about half as much as the superzoom. On the smaller SLT bodies, it feels a little more balanced when you are holding the camera up to your eye. But I'm not sure that's enough reason to keep another lens around.
Okay, got it.

What do you think of the 18250 for $450 CDN used off Craigslist? Purchased in March 09 w/ receipt, supposedly with no problems/blemishes. I offered $400 but he wouldn't drop below $450. Too much? Wait for a better deal?

Edit: new in Canada it's $650 + tax (though I've seen it for $600 + tax), US it's $570 + tax I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom