• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Zeiss 24mm is megahuge. I guess the rumor about it being redesigned as an f/2 pancake was false. I really don't like the NEX model of soda-can lenses mounted on pack-of-cards bodies.

I'm trying to decide between all these (existing and rumored) pro-friendly mirrorless bodies. I'll scratch the NEX-7 off my list.

jiji said:
That Zeiss 24mm is megahuge. I guess the rumor about it being redesigned as an f/2 pancake was false. I really don't like the NEX model of soda-can lenses mounted on pack-of-cards bodies.

I'm trying to decide between all these (existing and rumored) pro-friendly mirrorless bodies. I'll scratch the NEX-7 off my list.

Yeah, I wonder why it's so much bigger than the X100's lens given the focal length, aperture, and sensor size is similar...and it can't be the mount because the Sony 16mm is nice and compact.

luoapp

chaostrophy said:
Yeah, I wonder why it's so much bigger than the X100's lens given the focal length, aperture, and sensor size is similar...and it can't be the mount because the Sony 16mm is nice and compact.

Sony just doesn't know how to make a pancake lens. It's kinda weird, because Minolta (which Sony bought most of its lens technology from), did have some pancake lenses. X100 is a non-exchangeable lens camera, which gives them a lot of leeway to shrink the size (the central shutter, for example).

The image quality of Sony's 16mm is mediocre at best. And this 24mm will carry the shining Zeiss logo. Ironically, when used with the wide angle converter, the 16mm becomes a bigger 12mm, but with better IQ.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
For the size the ZA 24/1.8 is I think it'll be a nice all round lens (like their FF ZA 24/2). Zeiss have made a pancake lens in the past (C/Y 45/2.8) but not this wide. I think for a wide pancake lens something like the Voigtlander 20/3.5 Color Skopar would be nice to mount but its obviously not native. I think the ultimate want behind this Zeiss lens was speed and unfortunately a pancake lens and speed don't go hand in hand.

I'd like to see more NEX geared Zeiss lenses but the time Zeiss takes to put out new lenses is ridonculous. This 24/1.8 has been known about for a while now.

If I ended up getting the NEX7 and wanted something nice and wide but also small I would probably consider the...

Voigtländer Super-Wide Heliar 15mm f/4.5
http://www.kenrockwell.com/voigtlander/15mm.htm

... as the lens I would get. Looks nice and compact. Also very low distortion, it should equal to a 22mm lenses Angle of View with the NEX's 1.5x crop factor.

345triangle said:
big sony leak!

hriwko.jpg

NEX-7 looks great - barely bigger than my NEX-3. if it's offered in a decently-priced kit with that zeiss...

Nex-7 looks great, but those lenses... are too big. There's no reason that Zeiss should be four times the size of the Panasonic 20mm/1.7. But I guess that's the trade-off on the sensor size. Micro 4/3 high ISO won't be as good, but the lenses can be dramatically smaller.

luoapp

reggieandTFE said:
Nex-7 looks great, but those lenses... are too big. There's no reason that Zeiss should be four times the size of the Panasonic 20mm/1.7. But I guess that's the trade-off on the sensor size. Micro 4/3 high ISO won't be as good, but the lenses can be dramatically smaller.

I won't be surprised if the Zeiss is a full-frame lens.

tino

Banned
reggieandTFE said:

It had nothing to do with sensor size, Zeiss just didn't bother to design a pancake lens. It is probably originally a SLR lens designed for long flange distance.

Also majority of the pancake lenses are f/2.8, you can't make them fast and still keep and compact size.

ok I dont wanna read through the whole thread or whatever and I know its about camera equipment.. but hey Im looking to buy a good-ass camera not just a digital one..a boss ass camera for 300 or less...Gaf, go!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I've been looking into getting a 18-300mm lens for my Alpha 33 cam, but those lenses cost more than what I'm willing to spend (they cost about $1300 here), so I think I might go for a 70-300mm lens, a 75-300mm lens or a 55-200mm lens. Which one would you recommend me to get? And how are Sigma and Tamron lenses compared to original Sony lenses?

luoapp

Combichristoffersen said:
I've been looking into getting a 18-300mm lens for my Alpha 33 cam, but those lenses cost more than what I'm willing to spend (they cost about $1300 here), so I think I might go for a 70-300mm lens, a 75-300mm lens or a 55-200mm lens. Which one would you recommend me to get? And how are Sigma and Tamron lenses compared to original Sony lenses?

To my knowledge, there is no 18-300mm for Sony alpha mount. Are you talking about 18-270mm or 18-250mm? Anyway, tokkun and 345triangle sum up the pro and cons of the lens pretty nicely. If budget is at concern and you don't mind bringing one more lens (with the kit lens), 70-300mm is a good choice, or even the 55-200mm. These lenses are very similar in terms of image quality, and that 100mm shorter at the telezoom end isn't a big deal either - you can easily get it back by a little cropping.

tokkun said:
That's correct.

My opinion is that it is a great lens if your goal is to reduce the number of lenses you have to carry. I have a compact camera bag that will fit my a55 body and two lenses, and if I load up with the 18-250mm and the Minolta 50mm f/2.8 Macro that is a really flexible combo.

You can certainly get by with the 18-250 as your only lens, but there are two weaknesses from my perspective - both of which you could probably guess from the specs.

1. It's a good, but not great portrait lens. If you want something that will give you shallow DOF and gorgeous bokeh, add a faster prime lens like the Minolta 50mm Macro, Minolta 50mm f/1.8 (or Sony f/1.4), or the 35mm f/1.8. All are reasonably priced.

2. At f/6.3 it's not very fast on the telephoto end. There's not much you can do about this, other than buy a dedicated telephoto lens like the Beercan (which has shorter range).

So yeah, it has some compromises, but they're exactly the compromises you would expect with this type of lens in this price class.

345triangle said:
yeah i have this lens too (bought it with my a55 as a kit, instead of the 18-55) - i'd agree with tokkun's post and say it is definitely worth getting as an "i'm only going to take one lens on a weekend trip" type thing. there's quite a lot of distortion at 18mm and it's pretty slow at the long end, but it otherwise performs well and the build quality is decent. coupled with the tiny and awesome 35mm 1.8 in my pocket, there's not a lot i can't do in a pinch.

http://kurtmunger.com/sony_dt_18_250mm_f_3_5_6_3id175.html

here's a review with samples! that site has a lot of good information on sony lenses.

luoapp said:
The image quality of Sony's 16mm is mediocre at best. And this 24mm will carry the shining Zeiss logo. Ironically, when used with the wide angle converter, the 16mm becomes a bigger 12mm, but with better IQ.
uh, how does that work? i don't understand how it's possible for a converter to improve the IQ of the lens behind it...though i will say i'm pretty impressed with the NEX fisheye converter. maybe i should check out the wide angle.

luoapp

345triangle said:
uh, how does that work? i don't understand how it's possible for a converter to improve the IQ of the lens behind it...though i will say i'm pretty impressed with the NEX fisheye converter. maybe i should check out the wide angle.

Some says Sony took a 12mm lens and split in two halves.
A sample with 12mm
ZgXbA.jpg

BlueTsunami

luoapp said:
I won't be surprised if the Zeiss is a full-frame lens.

Strangely they already released a 24mm f/2 lens for Full Frame around 6 months ago. I think, once the NEX ZA 24mm is released, we'll see that its smaller than what the image makes it out to be. It still looks like it'll be front heavy though but seems to be one of the drawbacks with the NEX's thin body style.

Giard

BlueTsunami said:
Canon 60D or T3i

The T3i sounds like it would be the better fit and you could get a nice lens if what you're saving with the T3i could go to a lens. I would look into getting the T3i Kit (which comes with a lens) and the Canon 50/1.8 for around $150. The T3i can also record HD video.

Thank you for your input! I'll have a chance to try out the T3i soon, I'll know if she'll like it or not.

tokkun said:
Is that budget for the body only or for body, lenses, and accessories?

Body and lenses.

Combichristoffersen

luoapp said:
To my knowledge, there is no 18-300mm for Sony alpha mount. Are you talking about 18-270mm or 18-250mm? Anyway, tokkun and 345triangle sum up the pro and cons of the lens pretty nicely. If budget is at concern and you don't mind bringing one more lens (with the kit lens), 70-300mm is a good choice, or even the 55-200mm. These lenses are very similar in terms of image quality, and that 100mm shorter at the telezoom end isn't a big deal either - you can easily get it back by a little cropping.

I think you're right, as I haven't been able to find any 18-300mm lenses for Sony cameras :lol So it's between a Sigma 70-300mm lens, a Sony 55-200mm lens, a Sigma 18-200mm lens or this kit with a 75-300mm Sony lens. Which one would you recommend, and do any of you know how reliable Cameta Camera are, if I were to order the kit?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
alphaNoid said:
Wife got me my 430EX II for my bday. Next up some stands, umbrellas then some Alien Bees for more studio like work. For the time being I'm going to work on perfecting on camera flash work and dabble a bit with off camera for the next 6 or so months.

(bad phone pic, sorry only camera I had handy)

IMG_20110730_212124.jpg

That's what I did. Started with a 580EXII on camera, then got my first AB strobe. I used that for awhile with occasionally mixing in a 2nd strobe I would bum off a friend. Just ordered my 2nd strobe for myself last night. Hoping to amass 4 of them by the end of the year for some full studio work. I might also start running model shootout workshops this winter if I can get enough equipment together.

Once you get started it becomes addicting...and expensive! :)

BlueTsunami

Valkyr Junkie said:

Woah. I guess that removes any chance of there being a bundle (it'll probably cost more than a 7D+lens). I don't think people would be willing to throw down that sort of money for this camera. Hell even I would probably buy the NEX7 and then save up for a ZA 24/1.8 down the line. Very interested to see how it performs.

whalekock

So what is the deal with the Sony hotshoe? Do they want only Sony flashes on their cameras to avoid problems or are they trying to create a new industry standard?

Forsete

Radec said:
Is the Nex-7 also has a 24mp sensor ?

Nothing is confirmed but it has been rumored for a long time.
I wonder what the speed of the camera is? If it has a 24MP sensor like the A77 it should have the twin BIONZ processors to back it up. They can handle 24.6MP @ 5fps on the A900, and apparently 10fps on the new A77.

whalekock said:
So what is the deal with the Sony hotshoe? Do they want only Sony flashes on their cameras to avoid problems or are they trying to create a new industry standard?

It is actually the Minolta iISO flash shoe, it was developed by them in 1988.
Sony bought Konica-Minoltas camera division in 2006 and continued using that shoe.

Radec

Forsete said:
Nothing is confirmed but it has been rumored for a long time.
I wonder what the speed of the camera is? If it has a 24MP sensor like the A77 it should have the twin BIONZ processors to back it up. They can handle 24.6MP @ 5fps on the A900, and apparently 10fps on the new A77.

But the A77 has the translucent mirror while the NEX7 probably has the ordinary one.

Flo_Evans

2Mi2U.jpg

actually it is my brothers.. :(

Fun... but good lord loading, winding, cranking, focusing, metering... then the processing, and scanning. GAH! DSLR's are amazing :)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Flo_Evans said:
http://i.imgur.com/2Mi2U.jpg[IMG]

[spoiler]actually it is my brothers.. :([/spoiler]

[B]Fun... but good lord loading, winding, cranking, focusing, metering... then the processing, and scanning. GAH! DSLR's are amazing :)[/B][/QUOTE]
much more rewarding to me than digital. My scanner is finally here so I hope to start learning it tonight.

Flo_Evans

captive said:
much more rewarding to me than digital. My scanner is finally here so I hope to start learning it tonight.

Its not to bad if you are doing street photography or landscapes... but trying to take picture of your kid? **shudder**

You never realize just how amazing adjustable ISO and instant review are until you don't have it anymore.

I did manage to get some nice pics though!

dSVIm.jpg

One thing, get some freaking canned air and turn off all fans if you plan on scanning the negatives yourself (it is better to let them do it at the processing time. It is the cleanest and least scratched your negs will ever be)... unless you like retouching lint and dust :p

Had a huge *something* right next to his head. Now that I am looking at it you can totally see the retouch brush blur. GAH! gotta go back and retouch my retouches :p

captive

Flo_Evans said:
Its not to bad if you are doing street photography or landscapes... but trying to take picture of your kid? **shudder**

You never realize just how amazing adjustable ISO and instant review are until you don't have it anymore.

I did manage to get some nice pics though!

http://i.imgur.com/dSVIm.jpg[IMG]

One thing, get some freaking canned air and turn off all fans if you plan on scanning the negatives yourself [B](it is better to let them do it at the processing time[/B]. It is the cleanest and least scratched your negs will ever be)... unless you like retouching lint and dust :P

Had a huge *something* right next to his head. Now that I am looking at it you can totally see the retouch brush blur. GAH! gotta go back and retouch my retouches :P[/QUOTE]
Not at $65 per 1 scan or 40 for a meager 6 thousand pixel wide scan. Besides im way to controlling over my photography to let someone else do the scanning. They just scan to get it over with im going to scan to get the absolute most I can out of each scan.

Flo_Evans

captive said:
Not at $65 per 1 scan or 40 for a meager 6 thousand pixel wide scan. Besides im way to controlling over my photography to let someone else do the scanning. They just scan to get it over with im going to scan to get the absolute most I can out of each scan.

6000px is kind of overkill for 35mm scans. Are you doing medium format?

I shot on ilford SP2-400 and scanned at 3200 DPI producing a 4490x2698 (12.1MP) image.

At 100% on a shot I really nailed the focus on:

HSRFU.jpg

Don't feel like I am missing much @ 3200DPI. There are probably finer grained 35mm films (some nice and slow ISO50, but for shooting a baby indoors? ha!) out there that would require higher DPI but I am pretty happy with the res these produced.

captive

Flo_Evans said:
6000px is kind of overkill for 35mm scans. Are you doing medium format?

I shot on ilford SP2-400 and scanned at 3200 DPI producing a 4490x2698 (12.1MP) image.

At 100% on a shot I really nailed the focus on:

http://i.imgur.com/HSRFU.jpg[IMG]

Don't feel like I am missing much @ 3200DPI. There are probably finer grained 35mm films (some nice and slow ISO50, but for shooting a baby indoors? ha!) out there that would require higher DPI but I am pretty happy with the res these produced.[/QUOTE]
yea 6x17, so 3 6x6 medium format frames together. Scanned at 3200dpi should produce a file that is about 20-22k pixels wide and a native print size of about 80 inches.

Flo_Evans

captive said:
yea 6x17, so 3 6x6 medium format frames together. Scanned at 3200dpi should produce a file that is about 20-22k pixels wide and a native print size of about 80 inches.

whoa! O_O

Yeah not gonna get that scanned down at the local Walgreens 1 hour photo-mat for cheap :p

East Lake

You could probably get away with scanning at a lower res Flo, like 2400 maybe, at least for space saving purposes. I'm assuming it's a flatbed and their actual resolution is usually lower than the high resolutions you can scan at so eventually there's a point where it's just churning out an enlarged image but not picking up more detail.

Flo_Evans

Antimatter said:
You could probably get away with scanning at a lower res Flo, like 2400 maybe, at least for space saving purposes. I'm assuming it's a flatbed and their actual resolution is usually lower than the high resolutions you can scan at so eventually there's a point where it's just churning out an enlarged image but not picking up more detail.

True. I plan on picking up some slower film and putting it on the tripod tonight to see what it can really do. I had to pretty much keep it wide open @ f2.8 to get enough light indoors. Supposedly the lens sharpens up considerably @ f8, just gotta find something worthy to burn the film on :p

Combichristoffersen

I've been thinking of getting this just for shits n' giggles, since it's so cheap. But I noticed this:

If you already know your filter size (or diameter size Ø), then do not read further. Please provide that information along w/payment. If you do not know your filter size, or do not have a camera that has a filter size and will require an adapter tube, please e-mail us for compatibility.

Anyone know what the filter size would be for my standard 18-55mm lens for my Sony Alpha 33?

Edit: Hell, I don't even know if there's anything like a filter at all on my lens :lol

tokkun

Combichristoffersen said:
I've been thinking of getting this just for shits n' giggles, since it's so cheap. But I noticed this:

Anyone know what the filter size would be for my standard 18-55mm lens for my Sony Alpha 33?

Edit: Hell, I don't even know if there's anything like a filter at all on my lens :lol

Filter size is 55mm

BlueTsunami

More NEX7/A77 news...

A77, Nex-7 and VG20 will support the new AVCHD 2.0 standard. This means that all those camera (!) will be able to record FullHD videos in 1080 60/50/25/24p at 28Mbit/s! Do you like that? Wait…there is even more! All camera will support full manual controls while recording video. And you can shoot video in P or A or S or M mode!

It also goes on to say that Sony may have dealt with "rolling shutter" issues commonly associated with still/video hybrid bodies which makes it even more viable for professional shooting.

Source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-...g20-with-fullhd-60p-and-full-manual-controls/

I'm now considering a Nikon D60 or D3100 for my Entry level DSLR. The D3100 happens to be on sale until tomorrow at Futureshop for the same price as the D60.

MRORANGE

DoctorWho said:
I'm now considering a Nikon D60 or D3100 for my Entry level DSLR. The D3100 happens to be on sale until tomorrow at Futureshop for the same price as the D60.

The Nikon D60 is VERY OLD I would get the D3100, unless you mean the Canon 60D?

noah111

Still Alive
Hi guys, I am looking into getting a DSLR and i've put my sights on the Canon EOS (550D) Rebel T2i, any advice? I'm getting it in part for its video capabilities which seem excellent for the price and in comparison to the 5D. However, the world of lenses is such a clusterfuck that I have gotten a tad lost. From what I know it comes with no lens, what's some recommendations? TIA.

MRORANGE said:
The Nikon D60 is VERY OLD I would get the D3100, unless you mean the Canon 60D?

Nope, I meant the Nikon D60. I'll stay away then.

Also looking at this one which is significantly cheaper:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/canon-canon-eos-rebel-xs-10-1mp-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-dc-lens-kit-xs-dc/10137749.aspx?path=643617495cab2c01640d347324f0cbbeen02

It doesn't do video, which I'm not too fussed about. It's also 4 megapixels less. How much do Megapixels matter at this size unless I'm going to be doing professional work?

Zyzyxxz

DoctorWho said:
Nope, I meant the Nikon D60. I'll stay away then.

Also looking at this one which is significantly cheaper:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/canon-canon-eos-rebel-xs-10-1mp-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-dc-lens-kit-xs-dc/10137749.aspx?path=643617495cab2c01640d347324f0cbbeen02

It doesn't do video, which I'm not too fussed about. It's also 4 megapixels less. How much do Megapixels matter at this size unless I'm going to be doing professional work?

I would get the D3100 over that its much newer and has better performance when comparing prices. If you were to get a used XS then that would be different.

Flo_Evans

DoctorWho said:
For the same price? D3100 all the way!

Better sensor, better autofocus, better metering, better controls, better LCD, better viewfinder, better auto modes, VIDEO (how could you not want that?)

Flo_Evans said:
For the same price? D3100 all the way!

Better sensor, better autofocus, better metering, better controls, better LCD, better viewfinder, better auto modes, VIDEO (how could you not want that?)

You're selling me on the 3100. Urge to buy rising.

I'll probably be supporting the packed-in lens for quite a while. Hope it is sufficient.

KennyLinder said:
Super expensive or super cheap? :) (What make/model/lens is it?)
I'd love an old film SLR, I am guessing Ebay would be a good source for oldies.
Leica M4 with a Minolta Rokkor 40mm f/2. It's definitely on the expensive end.

If you want a great manual film SLR, I'd recommend going for a Nikon FM/FM2, FE/FE2, F2, or F3. If you're cool with all the automatic doohickeys, an N80 or F100 would also be cheap and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom