• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

I got mine bundled with the a55 so it was only $350 new. $450 is probably reasonable, although you may want to check prices on alternative superzooms, like the Sigma 18-250, Tamron 18-250, or Tamron 18-270.

tino

Banned
I am pretty sure the Sony and Pentax version of 18-250 is the Tamron version. And the Tamron is alot better than the Sigma. Does Tokona make superzoom? I don't know.

tokkun

tino said:
I am pretty sure the Sony and Pentax version of 18-250 is the Tamron version. And the Tamron is alot better than the Sigma. Does Tokona make superzoom? I don't know.

The Sony and Tamron 18-250 share the same glass, but the Sony version is supposed to have slightly faster AF due to fewer turns. They are very similar, though.

The Tamron 18-270 is arguably the best of the bunch. It has a hair more extension in telephoto, but the main advantage is that it has a piezo-electric motor built in which makes focusing less noisy. On the other hand, DPReview complained that the focus is slow, but I suppose you can always disable it and go with the in-body AF. Valuable if you plan on shooting video and don't want to use an external mic. However this lens is pretty difficult to find it used, so it will likely be the most expensive.

The reviews on the Sigma suggest that its optics are just as good as the others, but it does have two big caveats. First, it's about 50% heavier than any of the others. Second, if you're going to put this on an SLT, you may need to send it to Sigma for adjustment due to Sigma's compatibility issues. That said, it is the cheapest of the superzooms, so if cost is an issue and you don't mind the extra weight, it's a reasonable alternative.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Antimatter said:
I really like Ektachrome E100G, it's basically my first choice if Velvia 50's color would be too wild, would be good for portraits. I've also been overexposing Velvia by 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop and it's turning out nicely.
Do you mean underexposing? I know some people that rate it at ISO 32 so it comes out more contrasty. I do find that RVP50 is harder to over exposure or under expose than RVP100.

Also try Provia 400x if you need a little faster, nice colors not velvia-esque but faster shutter speed is good. Used it to do fireworks on the 4th and it worked out perfectly.

Giard

Hey guys, my gf is looking to buy a new high quality camera. She currently has a Sony DSC-H50, but it just doesn't do the job for her anymore. Photography is her main hobby, so she wants something great.

Her budget is around 1.2k (can be a little more or less), and she wants a reflex camera with a tilting LCD screen (it's a must-have in her eyes).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Giard said:
Hey guys, my gf is looking to buy a new high quality camera. She currently has a Sony DSC-H50, but it just doesn't do the job for her anymore. Photography is her main hobby, so she wants something great.

Her budget is around 1.2k (can be a little more or less), and she wants a reflex camera with a tilting LCD screen (it's a must-have in her eyes).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Canon 60D or T3i

The T3i sounds like it would be the better fit and you could get a nice lens if what you're saving with the T3i could go to a lens. I would look into getting the T3i Kit (which comes with a lens) and the Canon 50/1.8 for around $150. The T3i can also record HD video.

Just ordered a Cannon G12 for $357 through Amazon (kindle special offer coupon) and was wondering if anyone here uses the same camera and what they are using as a case.

Sooooo excited to get my new camera! :D

tokkun

Giard said:

Is that budget for the body only or for body, lenses, and accessories?

cbox

Came across a polaroid 660 autofocus cam at a thrift store the other day, was only 4 bucks so I picked it up.

Excellent condition, now time to find some film and go hipster crazy...

Just sold my LX5 and now have a NEX-C3 on pre-order from Amazon. It was so hard choosing between a NEX or a Micro 4/3 with the better lens selection. But I don't really have money for lots of lenses anyway.

Zyzyxxz

outunderthestars said:
Just ordered a Cannon G12 for $357 through Amazon (kindle special offer coupon) and was wondering if anyone here uses the same camera and what they are using as a case.

I'm a big fan of the Canon G11 due to the manual controls but i though it was a bit big.

If it was my money I would have rather gotten an S90 but I definitely would have missed the manual dials.

East Lake

captive said:
Do you mean underexposing? I know some people that rate it at ISO 32 so it comes out more contrasty. I do find that RVP50 is harder to over exposure or under expose than RVP100.

Also try Provia 400x if you need a little faster, nice colors not velvia-esque but faster shutter speed is good. Used it to do fireworks on the 4th and it worked out perfectly.
I've used 400X sporadically but haven't in a long time, mostly been using Portra at that speed but I'll probably give Provia another shot sometime. I've been overexposing Velvia at ISO 40 and 32, dunno how that would make it more contrast heavy, it does marginally control the color though and the exposure seems more accurate, I haven't done grey card tests though, have only used various other objects so far.

tino

Banned
outunderthestars said:

Used to have a G9. Canon G caneras are designeed for SLR shooters who want a smaller camera but still want to have SLR-like control.

I miss the time lapse function on the G9. I still have the accessories and may pick one up again one day.

OK having second thoughts on the NEX-C3. I know image quality is great, but I could get an E-PL3 instead and have the smaller kit lens plus the wider M4/3 selection of lenses and the control dial. And also the 18-55 on the NEX is soft on the sides. Any advice?

Radec

Jayayess1190 said:
OK having second thoughts on the NEX-C3. I know image quality is great, but I could get an E-PL3 instead and have the smaller kit lens plus the wider M4/3 selection of lenses and the control dial. And also the 18-55 on the NEX is soft on the sides. Any advice?

If ISO/Noise is not an issue for you, then might as well go for the m4/3 if you want a wide selection of lenses.

But if it matters to you, then NEX systems are the best at it.

Personally I'm still waiting for a NEX system that has a hotshoe so I can use some triggers for studio work. The current m4/3s don't really appeal to me because of the noise levels on high ISO. That small sensor really is limiting. Unlike the NEX who has a sensor as big as my D300.

Having tried the NEX-5 of a friend, I was really impressed by it, but the lack of hotshoe turned me off.

I hope the next NEX (lol) have it. (NEX-7?)

Zyzyxxz

Jayayess1190 said:

wait for possible NEX-7? The thing that I didn't like about the NEX when playing with it was the UI that was geared toward casuals and the lack of more external controls.

Forsete

Radec said:
If ISO/Noise is not an issue for you, then might as well go for the m4/3 if you want a wide selection of lenses.

But if it matters to you, then NEX systems are the best at it.

Personally I'm still waiting for a NEX system that has a hotshoe so I can use some triggers for studio work. The current m4/3s don't really appeal to me because of the noise levels on high ISO. That small sensor really is limiting. Unlike the NEX who has a sensor as big as my D300.

Having tried the NEX-5 of a friend, I was really impressed by it, but the lack of hotshoe turned me off.

I hope the next NEX (lol) have it. (NEX-7?)

The prototype pic of the NEX7 has a flash shoe (iISO).
According to SAR the picture is legit.

senzaolo1sm.jpg

1) 3 Million dot OLED EVF
2) Hot shoe
3) 24mm f/1.8 ZEISS
4) Flash and the Image preview buttons
5) Pop-Up flash
6) Manual Aperture and Shutter Speed controls?
7) ???

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-...e-dont-get-confused-because-of-the-no-button/

The camera looks to be slightly larger than the current NEX cameras. Pretty impressive.

BlueTsunami

I love the Rangefinder-esque viewfinder placement

And imagine if this thing has a specific kit that's bundled with the Zeiss. I would die.

Corum

Me and my girlfriend were looking to buy an entry-level SLR and made the choice of the Nikon D3100. Unfortunately the £40 cashback deal expired yesterday! Does anyone know how often these deals pop-up and is it worth waiting for the next?

tino

Banned
Corum said:
Me and my girlfriend were looking to buy an entry-level SLR and made the choice of the Nikon D3100. Unfortunately the £40 cashback deal expired yesterday! Does anyone know how often these deals pop-up and is it worth waiting for the next?
If Nikon offer rebate in its main retail channels, then the lowered price should be reflexed in other channels. ebay, for example.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Corum said:

ring around your friendly local camera merchants and ask if they'd provide you a receipt for yesterday..

It'd be cool if the NEX7 was sold in a kit with the 24mm. One of the things that's keeping me away from the EVIL cameras so far is that the basic normal primes seem kinda overpriced.

chaostrophy said:
It'd be cool if the NEX7 was sold in a kit with the 24mm. One of the things that's keeping me away from the EVIL cameras so far is that the basic normal primes seem kinda overpriced.

Since the 24mm is a Zeiss, that'll be a pretty pricy kit.

luoapp

chaostrophy said:
One of the things that's keeping me away from the EVIL cameras so far is that the basic normal primes seem kinda overpriced.

Depending on how you look at it, I find the M4/3 pancake kits are actually very reasonable considering the image qualities produced by 20/1.7 and 14/2.5.

BlueTsunami

Valkyr Junkie said:
Since the 24mm is a Zeiss, that'll be a pretty pricy kit.

I can actually see it going for around $600 (their Manual Focus 50/1.4 goes for around the same amount). Though with a theoretical Zeiss Kit with the NEX7 would probably be around $1400.

Ok, I'm looking to buy an awesome camera for my London trip later this year. I'm new to cameras so it should be something for a beginner but I do want a DSLR.

I'm willing to spend maybe $600-$700 on one. Less if I can get something for cheaper.

What say you GAF?

tokkun

DoctorWho said:
Ok, I'm looking to buy an awesome camera for my London trip later this year. I'm new to cameras so it should be something for a beginner but I do want a DSLR.

I'm willing to spend maybe $600-$700 on one. Less if I can get something for cheaper.

What say you GAF?

I'm going to recommend the Sony NEX-C3. It's a very small body, so it should be more convenient to take on a trip. It's also pretty beginner-friendly.

Now, some people will probably recommend buying into a camera "system" that will be able to offer you a larger variety of lenses down the road. But in the long run, I think that if you find that you are still using the NEX a lot a year down the line and would like to get into more enthusiast/pro-caliber lenses, then you can think about buying into a longterm system.

tokkun said:
I'm going to recommend the Sony NEX-C3. It's a very small body, so it should be more convenient to take on a trip. It's also pretty beginner-friendly.

Now, some people will probably recommend buying into a camera "system" that will be able to offer you a larger variety of lenses down the road. But in the long run, I think that if you find that you are still using the NEX a lot a year down the line and would like to get into more enthusiast/pro-caliber lenses, then you can think about buying into a longterm system.

Gee, why not just a (enthusiast) compact while you're at it? If he doesn't like his NEX down the line, he'll probably still be stuck buying something else (for another trip, who knows).

Any cheap, entry-level DSLR currently on the market is probably better suited for him. He does ask for one for whatever reason.

Thanks for the suggestions. The reason I want a DSLR is that I'd like to continue to learn with the camera after the trip. Maybe use it for a bit of sports photography or just take photos of nature. Not to sure yet. I definitely want something that will take great photos on this trip though.

tino said:
He probay was talking about the original Sony 16mm.

No, I meant the 24mm. 16mm is too wide for a general purpose walk-around lens on 1.5x crop. I want Sony to release a NEX kit similar in function to the GF1/20mm kit. That was pretty much my ideal mirrorless outfit, but when it was out I wasn't quite ready to jump on the bandwagon...now I kinda am and there's nothing out there like it at a similar price.

MRORANGE

DoctorWho said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The reason I want a DSLR is that I'd like to continue to learn with the camera after the trip. Maybe use it for a bit of sports photography or just take photos of nature. Not to sure yet. I definitely want something that will take great photos on this trip though.

nikon d3100/d5100 or canon 600d (would say the 1100d but I heard it's not that great) go into a store test them all out (oh sony slr's as well) and just see which one you find easy to use and handle. also get a cheap prime 50mm 1.8

tokkun

Instigator said:
Gee, why not just a (enthusiast) compact while you're at it? If he doesn't like his NEX down the line, he'll probably still be stuck buying something else (for another trip, who knows).

Because the NEX has an APS-C sensor and interchangeable lenses and said he wants a DSLR.

People often answer these questions based on the idea that the user is going to be buying pro-level lenses some day. But by the time you reach that point, having spent $600 on your beginner camera is going to be a drop in the bucket. And in any case, if you get serious you are going to find yourself wanting a more expensive body anyway to get better AF performance and faster shooting.

Sure, it's easy to recommend a D5100 or T2i for everyone, but if the user ends up barely using the camera because it is too heavy and bulky to conveniently carry around most of the time, then that's a much bigger waste of money.

alphaNoid

Banned
Wife got me my 430EX II for my bday. Next up some stands, umbrellas then some Alien Bees for more studio like work. For the time being I'm going to work on perfecting on camera flash work and dabble a bit with off camera for the next 6 or so months.

(bad phone pic, sorry only camera I had handy)

IMG_20110730_212124.jpg

First shot off camera with some PP

IMG_3993b-3.jpg

Forsete

Damn that NEX is looking mighty tasty! iISO flash shoe, hope it is compatible with HVL-F42AM. :p
Why no rear shot though? :(

well, the front looks pretty much identical to that prototype rear shot posted further up this page, so i'd guess it'll be something like that...no button labels though!

Forsete

345triangle said:
well, the front looks pretty much identical to that prototype rear shot posted further up this page, so i'd guess it'll be something like that...no button labels though!

I just want to know the function of the 2nd wheel. One is obviously the program wheel, the other?

BlueTsunami

Forsete said:
I just want to know the function of the 2nd wheel. One is obviously the program wheel, the other?

I'm thinking a dedicated wheel for setting aperture and shutter values without having to enter the menu? (just like the Fuji X100 but just for shutter values). The NEX7 seems like it'll tackle the semi-pro pro segment. I wonder if the UI will be any different.

The VF sitting nearly flush against the body, almost like a true Rangefinder is smexy. Its actually probably thinner than a camera with a rangefinder mechanism so that makes it even more of a feat.

Corum

Thanks for the suggestions, luckily now that the Nikon cashback deal is over most retailers have dropped their prices so I'll be picking up a D3100 today!

Forsete

BlueTsunami said:
I'm thinking a dedicated wheel for setting aperture and shutter values without having to enter the menu? (just like the Fuji X100 but just for shutter values). The NEX7 seems like it'll tackle the semi-pro pro segment. I wonder if the UI will be any different.

Could be. :)
Shutter on one of the wheels, and aperture on the 4-directional/scroll wheel combination, or vise versa.

Forsete

Valkyr Junkie said:
Damn the NEX-7 looks nice. I'm curious as to how it stacks up against the 5N size-wise though.

It looks to be a bit bigger, look at the E-mount ring. On the NEX5 the ring has a bigger diameter than the body, on the NEX7 the body is bigger than the E-mount ring. Also it is wider judging by the gap between the grip and the mount.

I thought it would be a much bigger camera tbh.

It is built out of metal, like the NEX5. :)

EDIT: Tried to match the mount size. A bit iffy, but this is the best I could do.

5YpJ5.jpg

tino

Banned
Sony actually put two control dials right next to each other? I thought that black ad white leak was for sure a BS photoshop. But its real? How is it good for ergonomic?

Is there anyway for current hotshoe-less NEX camera to trigger remove flash?

Forsete

tino said:
Sony actually put two control dials right next to each other? I thought that black ad white leak was for sure a BS photoshop. But its real? How is it good for ergonomic?

Is there anyway for current hotshoe-less NEX camera to trigger remove flash?

I dont see what is wrong with it. You can reach the two dials with your thumb (three dials actually :p , if they use the 4-way/scroll wheel for functions)

There is a DIY-way of doing it.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=36514247

tino

Banned
Forsete said:
I dont see what is wrong with it. You can reach the two dials with your thumb (three dials actually :p , if they use the 4-way/scroll wheel for functions)

There is a DIY-way of doing it.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=36514247
If you are using the viewfinder, you thumb won't know which wheel its touching. They should make traditional front and back wheels. The grip is big enough.

I hope there is less ghetto way to trigger remote flash whe I am ready to buy the 5n. I need to wait for Canon and Fuji to show their mirrorless formats before I am committed to the Sony E mount. We will know what Nikon can offer by the end of this month.

Radec

345triangle said:
big sony leak!

[/IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/hriwko.jpg[/IMG]

NEX-7 looks great - barely bigger than my NEX-3. if it's offered in a decently-priced kit with that zeiss...

haha awesome.

That NEX-7 will be fucking mine!

I hope the 24mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 is available as kitlenses.

My only gripe is that why is that 24mm that long? lol.

According to our sources that is the list of new products Sony will announce on August 24:
A77 -> 24 megapixels
Vertical Grip VG-C77AM
16-50mm f/2.8 SSM
A65 -> Has the same 24 Megapixel sensor but less fps
NEX-7 -> I have beent told that this camera is a very serious Fuji X100 (Click here to se it) competitor!
NEX-5N -> An updated Sony NEX-5 with new sensor
LA-EA2 with built-in Translucent mirror -> A revivial of the Leica Visoflex (Click here to se it) ;)
XGA external OLED viewfinder (works on NEX-5N only)
Zeiss 24mm f/1.8
Sony 55-210mm f/4-6.3 OSS
Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS
VG-20 -> successor of the Sony NEX-VG10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom