• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radec

Man, that D4 is delicious.

But reality says that I can't afford it.

I hope Nikon releases another D700~ish DSLR.

Native ISO of the D3s is enough. :D

Wow, they've gotten that low new? That's ridonculous.

Also a shot of the new Fuji with the Fujinon 35/1.4?

MFZmO.jpg

Am I the only one not that fond of designs like this?

Especially that textured part. :/

East Lake

I don't think so.. Wouldn't they list it as a key feature if it had the new sensor?

If this was FF or had the foveon-like sensor I would have really considered it.. i don't see this being better than x100 with the current specs given that my favorite focal length is 35mm.
They sorta described the organic sensor the way they did there before, but I dunno. Fuji USA released news on everything but this camera so far so they might be waiting on a CES opening to to hype it up. I'd like to see serious low-light performance whatever they do.

tino

Banned
I don't think so.. Wouldn't they list it as a key feature if it had the new sensor?

If this was FF or had the foveon-like sensor I would have really considered it.. i don't see this being better than x100 with the current specs given that my favorite focal length is 35mm.

What is interesting is that they are calling the viewfinder "hybrid". My guess is that they are going to draw framelines based on the lens thats currently being mounted for OVF?
DIFFERENT-BRIGHTLINE-FRAMES-WITH-0.58X-0.72X-AND-0.85X-LEICA-M-VIEWFINDERS.jpg

Here is a frameline example on a leica
If you have a hard on for x3 sensor why don't you buy a DP2? Much cheaper than X100.

The Fuji camera sound like it will have a minor update version of the NEX5n sensor, which IMO is the best APS sensor right now.

LordAlu

Any opinions on the Pentax k-r? I'm looking to buy a DSLR and was planning on either the T2i or the Nikon D3100. I've been using a 35mm SLR but this will be my first DSLR. I'm honestly unsure as to whether I'd need such a ridiculous number of MP as the T2i, and I have no interest in video modes at all.

They all seem relatively similar, but there are big price differences (the T2i for example is £490, whereas the k-r is £350!). I could get the k-r and a 35mm lens for less than the T2i. Decisions!

tino

Banned
Pentax will cost more when you try to buy mid and high end lenses. There is also the question of Pentax or Olympus which will go belly up first.

If money is a concern take a look at mirrorless options and used DSLR too.

LordAlu

Pentax will cost more when you try to buy mid and high end lenses. There is also the question of Pentax or Olympus which will go belly up first.

If money is a concern take a look at mirrorless options and used DSLR too.

Money isn't necessarily an issue, as I'll be spreading the cost anyway. I'm just looking for the best value I can get for a competent DSLR. I've used an SLR for a while now but it's more of a hobby for me, hence no interest in high-end DSLRs or video capabilities.

I didn't know Pentax was in any danger as a company though. Obviously i'd like this camera to last a good few years so perhaps going back to Canon/Nikon as a choice would be a wiser option...

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Any opinions on the Pentax k-r?

It's a good little camera. A couple of friends have them, very happy with them (and sneer at my Canon fixation, which is after all only habit), and I don't see any reason it shouldn't do you well.

LordAlu

It's a good little camera. A couple of friends have them, very happy with them (and sneer at my Canon fixation, which is after all only habit), and I don't see any reason it shouldn't do you well.

Thanks. I'll be heading into town to try handling them all later and see if there's a particular one I prefer. Obviously I'll need to look at lens costs too, as I will want a prime at some point. It's a shame my old Canon 50mm f1.8 is incompatible with modern DSLRs! :(

LordAlu

So I decided in the end to pick up a Canon 1100D (T3).

IMG_0011.jpg

I've got a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens on the way as well whilst I get used to using a DSLR. I spent a good hour talking with the owner of the camera shop and tested several different models, eventually plumping for this one. This, plus a 4GB memory card, case, filters, 3 year warranty and the 50mm cost me £550 so I'm very happy :)

giga

Thanks. I'll be heading into town to try handling them all later and see if there's a particular one I prefer. Obviously I'll need to look at lens costs too, as I will want a prime at some point. It's a shame my old Canon 50mm f1.8 is incompatible with modern DSLRs! :(
Say what. FD?

Pentax make great bodies, but lens selection is so limited compared to the big two.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

I'm reading on this rumor site that it is using the organic sensor (Fuji calls Xtrans)!...

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/first-image-of-the-fuji-x-pro/

Also, supposedly going to be 1300€ for Body+35mm Lens!

I got this images and specs from the latest February issue of the french Responsesphoto magazine (Click here to see the article). The screenshot you see here on top is actually the very first image of the full and final Fuji X PRO 1 mirrorless and interchangeable lens camera. It really looks like the digital version of the amazing designed Contax G2 (Click here to see those cameras on eBay). Responsephoto camera specs:
- Three new lenses: 18mm (27mm equivalent) f/2.0, 35mm (53mm equivalent) f/1.4 and 60mm (90mm equivalent) f/2.4
- Responsephoto says the Camera+35mm lens kit will cost 1.300 Euro. That’s actually just a bit higher than the Fuji X100 price. The other two lenses will cost 600 Euro each.
- Responsephoto says the sensors name is X-Trans! R. writes that Fuji took some ideas from the classica film technology to create the new sensor which will beat the image quality of all current fulflrame sensors! The photosites will be of 6 different colors and disposed randomly, therefore moire will be avoided.
- There is no Anti Aliasing filter on the sensor.
- The lenses are made of metal.
- The camera has the new X-mount. The flange distance will be of 17.7 mm.
- The viewfinder is hybrid (optical and electronic). The optical viewfinder changes the view depending on the kind of prime lens you sue. This again is an idea coming from the Contax G2!
- The autofocus sensor is…external! There is a special AF sensor on the camera body!

I'm reading on this rumor site that it is using the organic sensor (Fuji calls Xtrans)!...

Also, supposedly going to be 1300€ for Body+Lens!

Yeah, this sounds like a completely new lens design. I love my EP3 with the 3 primes I have (28mm, 50mm and 90mm equivalent), but may jump into this system if Oly + Panny don't start bringing some innovation on the micro 4/3 front.

For Fuji to launch this with 3 affordable fast primes while Sony is still dicking around with giant zoom lenses and 1 soft, expensive Zeiss lens it would be silly to buy a NEX right now.

tino

Banned
If the price is true Sony got owned by Thailand and Fuji. This is the 5n sensor with anti-alias filter removed. The effective resolution should be higher.

If the price is true Sony got owned by Thailand and Fuji. This is the 5n sensor with anti-alias filter removed. The effective resolution should be higher.

By all accounts, this is a completely new sensor and not the NEX sensor.

xpro1-1.jpg

- Responsephoto says the sensors name is X-Trans! R. writes that Fuji took some ideas from the classica film technology to create the new sensor which will beat the image quality of all current fulflrame sensors! The photosites will be of 6 different colors and disposed randomly, therefore moire will be avoided.

BlueTsunami

If true I think I might bite...doesn't look too much more than a comparable Panny GX1 + Panny/Leica 25mm 1.4...

Or, I can jump on an X100 clearance sale =)

Using the organic tech then I think that could be a huge IQ boost over comparable bodies. It has many things going for it, like not needing an AA filter, not having to worry about color shifts due to a very short flange distance, and (on their PDF regarding organic layers) it shows that there's no blooming and a very even transition from highlights to shadows in very tough light with high dynamic range (which is what can be considered "film like"). All of these things remain to be seen in the real world photos though, next Monday should be the big reveal.

Flo_Evans

Thanks, seen that. Found a slightly better one...

8K0OQ.jpg

and back and sides!

B8OWA.jpg

hubba hubba!

$6k tho :(

Interesting they went back to the old exposure meter switch on the prism, and used the AF-mode switch from the d7000

edit: I guess the exposure mode switch has always been on the prism on the pro nikon bodies? It sort of makes sense, that is where the sensor is, but it seems awkward on my F100. I guess you don't change it all that much though.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
By all accounts, this is a completely new sensor and not the NEX sensor.

xpro1-1.jpg

why would they be the same in the first place? I thought Sony made their own sensors for all their cameras, and likewise for Fuji.

@D4 - why don't yall all try to get them used down the road? I know several people that switched systems and ended up getting near mint Canon Id3s or something like that (forget which model, but was still around 5k new) for 2k used. Like a used car the price drops the second you take it out of the box.

Zyzyxxz

why would they be the same in the first place? I thought Sony made their own sensors for all their cameras, and likewise for Fuji.

Because Sony has produced the sensors for Nikon in the past and the D7000 uses the NEX-5n sensor also the 5n sensor is really great as well. Most people thought it would be the 5n sensor since the initial leak said nothing about their new "organic" technology that would surpass full-frame quality and the leak had the same megapixels as the 5n sensor.

Also prices for professional bodies take a long time to drop. Usually production is slower and retailers often ran out of the D3S several years into production.

tino

Banned
Fuji only made one kind of sensor: SuperCCD. The last camera with this sensor was S100fd. If the sensor is not SuperCCD, Fuji special ordered it from Sony.

olbareun

If you have a hard on for x3 sensor why don't you buy a DP2? Much cheaper than X100.

The Fuji camera sound like it will have a minor update version of the NEX5n sensor, which IMO is the best APS sensor right now.

I do have a dp2 (it sells for like 200 used people should really give it a try) and I love it but despite the small size, It is almost more cumbersome than a dslr given that it is very hard to use it without a tripod (colors are messed up past iso400). Also in a low light situation, it has tendency to add a yellow/turquoise tint for your photo which this fuji sensor is supposed to fix.

Few examples of the tint in low light situations.. it is cool in some shots but you don't want it on every photo.

Zyzyxxz

Holy crap Canon's upcoming G1X camera sounds badass based on the leak:

http://photorumors.com/2012/01/05/canon-powershot-g1x-camera-also-leaked/#more-17480

Shipping in February
Price: $799
1.5 in. 14.3MP CMOS sensor
4x zoom (28-112mm) optical zoom lens
aperture range: f/2.5-16
14-bit RAW file support
new DIGIC 5 image processor
up to 6fps/4.5 fps at full resolution
face detection
HDR mode
FullHD 1080 video
720p Movie Digest mode (automatically compile a video from stills)

Is that a type 1.5 inch sensor? That makes it larger than Micro 4/3rds if so this will give the Fuji X10 a run for it's money although $800 is a hard to justify even moreso than Fuji's X10 $599 pricetag.

Im selling my T2i. Heres whats included. How much should I ask/expect for it?
-Canon T2i
-18-55mm kit lens
-55-250mm EOS 4-5.6 IS Lens
-Extra battery
-Perfect Viewfinder attachment for video
-car charger
-16 & 32GB Transcend class 10 SD cards

Anyone? I have someone wiling to buy but dont wanna get lowballed either.

tino

Banned
Holy crap Canon's upcoming G1X camera sounds badass based on the leak:

http://photorumors.com/2012/01/05/canon-powershot-g1x-camera-also-leaked/#more-17480

Is that a type 1.5 inch sensor? That makes it larger than Micro 4/3rds if so this will give the Fuji X10 a run for it's money although $800 is a hard to justify even moreso than Fuji's X10 $599 pricetag.

People speculate its a mistranslation. Should have been 1/1.5" sensor instead which is pretty much the 2/3" sensor in X10.

If its over 1" normally the camera makers use mm X mm size.

BlueTsunami

Fuji only made one kind of sensor: SuperCCD. The last camera with this sensor was S100fd. If the sensor is not SuperCCD, Fuji special ordered it from Sony.

They've been developing a new sensor...

Organic Sensor
http://www.fujifilm.com/about/research/report/055/pdf/index/ff_rd055_004_en.pdf

The nuts and bolts of it are beyond me, maybe they're using a highly customized version of the 5N sensor? Either way, if it is the organic one its light capturing ability is very different than the traditional CMOS sensor.

rage1973

Been looking at a new bag to fit all my gear on trips plus a 15 inch laptop and ipad.
Looking at either Tamrac 5789 or Lowepro Fastpack 350.
Tamrac costs a little more but it seems to include a few more functionality like being able to use it as a sling and a tripod/monopad strap. Any recommendations between these two?

Using the organic tech then I think that could be a huge IQ boost over comparable bodies. It has many things going for it, like not needing an AA filter, not having to worry about color shifts due to a very short flange distance, and (on their PDF regarding organic layers) it shows that there's no blooming and a very even transition from highlights to shadows in very tough light with high dynamic range (which is what can be considered "film like"). All of these things remain to be seen in the real world photos though, next Monday should be the big reveal.

Corrected my post above, but yeah...if the proposed X-Pro1 + 35mm 1.4 kit doesn't cost too much more than a comparatively priced GX1 + 25mm 1.4 then I think I might be swayed to get the Fuji...I can try to budget a little bit more for the Fuji over the Panny IF the price is right =)

giga

Sony announced their XQD cards.

QD-H16 card, 16 GB, $129.99
QD-H32 card, 32 GB, $229.99
Card Reader, MRW-E80, $44.99

lol

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I have the D700 at the moment and even though the D4 looks nice and all, the D800 is more interesting still. I prefer more detail (rumoured 36 Mpixel sensor) than speed (11 fps)..but we will see how the D800 ends up. (D4 will definately have better ISO as well)

And the new Fuji Xpro-1 looks sweet as hell :)

Radec

Yeah, I'd still go for the D700 replacement.

I hope they can atleast get a D3s ISO on the D800.

And I can't afford the D4 anyway so that's that. lol

D800 + NEX-7 or XPro-1 + F-Mount adapter would be a glorious combination.

:D

Hey guys, I have a question and hope someone can help. At my work we're considering using Canon 600D as camera to record web shows. But instead of recording to the memory cards, we're see if we could use HDMI out to capture the HD Video output. I saw that in the manual the HDMI out is used for playback only.

I saw this online Magic Lantern and want to see if anyone has any experience in it and let me stream video out via HDMI. It said that it's able to output clean output via HDMI under the liveview section. I'm hoping that's it.

So anyone have any experience in it? Thank you in advance.

Slightly off topic, but where does everyone print their photos? Online or a local shop? Also, what file format would be the best to print out off?

Desperado

Ok, after many years hemming and hawing over moving up from point and shoots (and 4 Canon compacts later), I'm finally doing it. I pulled the trigger on an Olympus E-PL1 (factory demo @ $250).

I want to have it with me basically at all times. I'm thinking of just getting a shoulder strap, as I don't like the idea of taking it in and out of a bag. I'm in college, so I can always put it in my backpack, as well.

Should I expect any weird adverse effects of having it on me during social situations? One of my primary desires is to take candids of my friends.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ok, after many years hemming and hawing over moving up from point and shoots (and 4 Canon compacts later), I'm finally doing it. I pulled the trigger on an Olympus E-PL1 (factory demo @ $250).

I want to have it with me basically at all times. I'm thinking of just getting a shoulder strap, as I don't like the idea of taking it in and out of a bag. I'm in college, so I can always put it in my backpack, as well.

Should I expect any weird adverse effects of having it on me during social situations? One of my primary desires is to take candids of my friends.

only if your friends are super weirdos. Most people realize that there are going to be cameras in some form at social events, be it point and shoots to cell phones to higher end.

Make sure you buy the Panasonic 20mm/1.7 lens ASAP. It actually looks slick on the silver E-PL1 and will give you shallow depth of the field that the kit lens won't and incredibly sharp photos.

Zyzyxxz

Get a pancake lens like the Panasonic 20mm or Olympus equivalent although that is $300 its much more compact than kit lens and much faster for those "low light college situations".

Even if people are camera shy, they'll eventually get used to the idea of you being "that guy with the camera" and they'll stop noticing (or caring) that you're taking pictures of them. (Unless they're my one friend from college, who still flips his shit when I have a camera out - and I have a camera everywhere.)

giga

D4 seems like a modest update. More evolutionary than revolutionary. The D3S was only about 2 years old after all.

I don't really care for video, more megapixels, and artificial ISO boosts so the main things I like are better metering, AF, and backlit buttons. XQD was pretty sweet until I saw the prices.

All spectator thoughts though as this isn't my price category. Pros will be happy with their D4s and 1DXs and I'm still waiting to upgrade to a full frame.

FooTemps

Hey photoGAF, I'm looking into mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras and was hoping to get some advice.

My girlfriend is currently using a canon g10 but I've been looking to get her a mirrorless system for her birthday. She uses the g10 mostly as a point and shoot but she does use manual mode on occasion for scenery shots. She also always talks about not really understanding what a lot of the controls are but she wants to learn. She's content with the daylight image quality but the low light performance leaves much to be desired. I was looking at various micro 4/3 sample pics and it doesn't seem like a very big jump in image quality from her g10. I know sony and samsung have aps-c sensors in their mirrorless systems and I'm leaning towards those since there is a definite increase in image quality.

Am I making a correct observation about the difference in image quality between stuff like the olympus pen series and the sony nex series? Any recommendations on a camera that has customization/controls that she wouldn't have to worry too much about?

edit: any lens recommendations for a beginner?

With Nikon's new lens announcement along with the D4 I gotta sell my Nikkor 85mm 1.8D...like yesterday =P

I bought it during the summer of last year...while it's great I rarely use it (I thought I was going to shoot a lot of portraits but really haven't done it =P)...can use the cash from the sale towards a new mirrorless body (GX1 or X-Pro1 if the price is right =)

Hey photoGAF, I'm looking into mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras and was hoping to get some advice.

My girlfriend is currently using a canon g10 but I've been looking to get her a mirrorless system for her birthday. She uses the g10 mostly as a point and shoot but she does use manual mode on occasion for scenery shots. She also always talks about not really understanding what a lot of the controls are but she wants to learn. She's content with the daylight image quality but the low light performance leaves much to be desired. I was looking at various micro 4/3 sample pics and it doesn't seem like a very big jump in image quality from her g10. I know sony and samsung have aps-c sensors in their mirrorless systems and I'm leaning towards those since there is a definite increase in image quality.

Am I making a correct observation about the difference in image quality between stuff like the olympus pen series and the sony nex series? Any recommendations on a camera that has customization/controls that she wouldn't have to worry too much about?

edit: any lens recommendations for a beginner?

It depends on how picky you (or your GF) are.

IMHO, NEX really shines with key legacy glass (manual focus only). If all you're going to do is use the kit zoom(s) (and the 16mm kit prime) mostly in daylight and shoot JPEG only, then you're wasting your money with a bulky camera system. Not sure most NEX cameras and their menus are suited for those used to traditional photographic controls (like the g10).

Samsung lags a bit behind in sensor refinement, but they make up for it with better, relatively cheap and small prime lenses to choose from. Some argue Samsung cameras lack "soul", but they're supposed to be functional otherwise. :)

The m4/3 is further behind with sensor technology, but have the best choice of native zooms and primes. Sometimes fast enough to counter the sensor weakness (more opportunity to shoot at base ISO where IQ is best). Almost as relevant as the lenses in m4/3 are the two rival manufacturers (Oly & Pana) making the camera bodies (and lenses) with contrasting specs (but they overlap too in many areas). Choices is always nice.

All these camera systems take legacy lenses with different pros and cons.

I assume this has been answered a ton, so a link in the thread would be fine--I just didn't SEE the response and don't have a ton of time right now to search the thread:

I want to get a DSLR. I would like to go either Sony (Minolta lenses), Nikon, or Canon due to lens availability--and if I get a better body, I want to be able to keep my lens investments.

1) Budget is a concern. I'd prefer to spend sub-$500.
2) Used is definitely an option.
3) I don't need to shoot video. Doesn't really matter to me and if I can save money there, that's fine.
4) MP isn't critical. 10+ is fine for my purposes.
5) Latest/greatest model isn't crucial.

I am wondering about the recent entries along the D3100/T3/A390 level. Suggestions for budget? I really am befuddled as to what difference I'm going to see between cameras that are ~$400 to ~$700 as a learning amateur. Super fast (>5000) shutter speeds aren't a super concern for me. Super high ISO isn't either. I'd be happy with something that gives me a lot of control so that I can really LEARN about photography.

A friend of mine is thinking about getting rid of his EOS 20D, what do you guys think about that, and at what price would it be worth it?

luxarific

Nork unification denier

I'm curious, why is the 1Dx so much more expensive than the D4? Is there some feature that Canon is pointing to that will justify an $800 price premium over the D4? Can't be a larger sensor, I imagine. D4 is sold out already at Amazon. :eek: Can't imagine dropping that much money without at least seeing some real-world reviews first.

EDIT: comparison chart here. 1Dx offers more megapixals, a built in mike, and higher max continuous shooting speed, which I can see being worth 800 more.

Really interested in seeing what the D800 will offer

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/01/06/who-wants-to-see-the-nikon-d800-on-nikon-de.aspx/

Also, a nice guide for anyone thinking about picking up a camera this year:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/2/2663464/camera-buyers-guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom