• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Nikon D3000 a good camera for a beginner? Is it a nice camera in general?

I guess so, but I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it's the last Nikon model with no liveview (shoot with the LCD screen). Yeah, many photo elitists will argue you don't need it anyway, but they'd be wrong.

Aim either for a slightly higher-end model with liveview (like the old D5000) or just for the successor D3100 which does have liveview.

I guess so, but I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it's the last Nikon model with no liveview (shoot with the LCD screen). Yeah, many photo elitists will argue you don't need it anyway, but they'd be wrong.

Aim either for a slightly higher-end model with liveview (like the old D5000) or just for the successor D3100 which does have liveview.

Why do you need Live View?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Not to take the question away from Instigator buts useful for shooting at odd angles (even more so if it has a swivel LCD) but most importantly its great for tripod shooting where you can be absolutely sure of your focus by magnifying the Live view feed and being able to check for critical focus. I currently shoot with a camera that doesn't have Live view and think it would be tremendously helpful for certain shooting situations. Its also great for seeing the actual true exposure instead of the way your eyes see light via the viewfinder.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Handy for composing tripod shots, especially if they're at an odd angle (and even if you don't have a swivel screen you can nalways use a handheld mirror).

Mostly, though, I find it really useful for rough-cutting exposures and white balance and ISO. Live view plus a bit of twiddling is a load faster than trial-and-error shots if you're not sure whereabouts you ought to be. It isn't perfect but it gets you close.

I don't use it enough for focussing, really should do it more. Too lazy.

Flo_Evans

Talk me down camera gear GAF!

Thinking about a new lens for the new year.

Camera: D7000

Current lineup:

12-24mm f4 DX*
18-105mm f3.5-5.6 DX
24mm AF-D f2.8
35mm f1.8 DX*
50mm AF-D f1.4
60mm micro AF-D 2.8
105mm DC f2
75-300mm f4.5-5.6

*these lenses are not "mine" exclusively, they are "work" lenses that I can pretty much check out and use as needed, as long as no one else has requested them.

So I am thinking about a more "pro" wide-mid range zoom. The 17-55mm 2.8 DX is leading the pack. I just don't know about dropping that much coin on a DX only lens... So I was looking at the 17-35mm AF-S. it's more money, for less range, but it will cover FX sensors and 35mm. The 3rd option is the old 20-35mm AF-D, which covers even less range, but is relatively cheap and has that kick ass Nikon metal crinkle barrel finish that I am kind of a sucker for instead of the new plastic nonsense that Nikon uses now.

I am also thinking about waiting for whatever new lenses are going to be announced with the D4/D800 and just buying a battery grip for now :p

tino

Banned
I would get the 17-55mm. You can sell a couple lenses to help fund it.

Both the 17-55 and D700 used price will drop very slowly. So there is no point to get yourself FF ready early. Plus you can use the 17-55 on a FF.

Its the best APS pro lens. Fit and finish is top notch.

I have a refurbished Nikon 17-55mm DX I got earlier this year for my D7000, upgrading from a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 I had for almost 3 years that I used on my D40. Love it...paired with the D7000 with the grip and extra battery it's one big 'n' heavy mofo of a setup. Very sharp, great IQ, built like a rock. I'll be sticking with this for a long while.

Flo_Evans

I would get the 17-55mm. You can sell a couple lenses to help fund it.

Both the 17-55 and D700 used price will drop very slowly. So there is no point to get yourself FF ready early. Plus you can use the 17-55 on a FF.

Its the best APS pro lens. Fit and finish is top notch.
You are probably right... Now the only problem is finding one. Seems to be out of stock everywhere!

Pachimari

Hi guys,
So I ended up buying the Canon EOS 60D and I took 210 pictures at New Year, which was the first day I used it, mainly to get a feel for it all and play with the different settings.

But as I am new to the whole think, is there any great Macro lense and one where I can zoom in a lot from far away?

Maybe these?
Sigma 50-200mm Lense

Macro Lense

Edit:
Wait, the Canon 60D is a SLR camera right?

dmshaposv

Hi guys,
So I ended up buying the Canon EOS 60D and I took 210 pictures at New Year, which was the first day I used it, mainly to get a feel for it all and play with the different settings.

But as I am new to the whole think, is there any great Macro lense and one where I can zoom in a lot from far away?

Maybe these?
Sigma 50-200mm Lense

Macro Lense

Edit:

Yes, Canon 60D is a SLR. Didn't you know what you were getting into? :p

If there is one lens you'd want to buy is the Canon 70-200mm f/4 telephoto lens, which should pretty much fit your purpose (but is twice as more expensive than your camera body itself).

If you can afford it, go for it.

Flo_Evans

You are right. Not even in Adorama and Keh. Amazing.

There was some talk (on nikonrumors... so huge grain of salt) that they are discontinuing it.

I called around the local shops and they have a used one for $1100... Hmm Might have to go check it out.

tino

Banned
There was some talk (on nikonrumors... so huge grain of salt) that they are discontinuing it.

I called around the local shops and they have a used one for $1100... Hmm Might have to go check it out.

I think its just Thailand. Have you consider a 3rd party 16-50 or an older Nikon 28-70.

ChryZ

Amazon finally received stock and shipped my new lens: Oly 45mm f1.8, inexpensive for its performance, build quality is okay, but it feels pretty cheap and plasticy. Prolly as sharp as the Panny 20mm pancake wide open. Its AF is snappy, dead silent and supports auto focus continuous (awesome for video). I wish it had the same build quality as the Oly 12mm f2 (metal barrel, etc).

giga

Hi guys,

Maybe these?
Sigma 50-200mm Lense

Macro Lense

Edit:
If you're new to the whole thing, you should hold off spending a lot of money on lenses you don't know how to properly use and learn basic photography techniques first. Learn composition & exposure. Get the cheap 50mm 1.8 to practice with.

snack

I'm looking to buy a camera that looks retro and throwback, kinda like the fujifilm x10. Any suggestions? Thanks!

BlueTsunami

I'm looking to buy a camera that looks retro and throwback, kinda like the fujifilm x10. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Olympus EP* series? Ricoh's cameras also have that sort of timeless look too but they provide mostly fixed lens cameras.

Seth C

Amazon finally received stock and shipped my new lens: Oly 45mm f1.8, inexpensive for its performance, build quality is okay, but it feels pretty cheap and plasticy. Prolly as sharp as the Panny 20mm pancake wide open. Its AF is snappy, dead silent and supports auto focus continuous (awesome for video). I wish it had the same build quality as the Oly 12mm f2 (metal barrel, etc).

Without image stabilization, at 90mm equivalent, isn't constant auto focus in video going to be fairly useless? I mean I suppose if you're shooting from a tripod but if that's the case I'm guessing the subject of the video isn't doing a lot of moving that would require a change in focus anyway.

ChryZ

Without image stabilization, at 90mm equivalent, isn't constant auto focus in video going to be fairly useless? I mean I suppose if you're shooting from a tripod but if that's the case I'm guessing the subject of the video isn't doing a lot of moving that would require a change in focus anyway.
I haven't tested it extensively yet, just some quick recording, but AFAIR it worked pretty well when handheld. AFC seems to be less aggressive than forced AF, its focusing isn't as abrupt and results in more pleasant focus transitions.

Seth C

I haven't tested it extensively yet, just some quick recording, but AFAIR it worked pretty well when handheld. AFC seems to be less aggressive than forced AF, its focusing isn't as abrupt and results in more pleasant focus transitions.

I can see that. I don't like the way the focus jumps on my kit lens at all. I've shot with my Minolta 50mm lens though, and while I love the look of the video I do have difficulty holding it quite as steady as I'd like, with no image stabilization.

Damaged

Has anybody got any suggestions on how to check if a lens is working correctly?

I have a Nikon 55mm-200mm VR DX AF-S lens that doesn't seem to be focusing correctly. I hadn't used it in a few months and took it with me on a day out yesterday but every single image i used it with was out of focus.
I had plenty of light and was shooting @ iso400 with the aperture at 5.6 so i dont think it was camera shake (I was shooting in similar conditions earlier in the year no problem).

The only way i managed to get a sharp shot was to turn the VR off, even focusing manually with VR on was out of focus.

So to get to the point is there anyway i can figure out if the lens is okay or if it just needs way more light than i remember?

Pachimari

If you're new to the whole thing, you should hold off spending a lot of money on lenses you don't know how to properly use and learn basic photography techniques first. Learn composition & exposure. Get the cheap 50mm 1.8 to practice with.

The 18-55mm lense were in the package, it has a stabilizer too. The plan is to practice with that one before buying any lenses yea, I won't buy any lenses for the next year. :)

By the way, why is it my camera won't shoot a photo?
I take it, it's because it can't find anything to focus because I have it on the wrong mode.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I am thinking of some various camera related purchases, and was wondering if anyone had any impressions of these lenses:

Canon EF 28mm f/1.8
Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Lens

I am shooting with a Rebel XSi and 50mm f/1.4 now, but the crop factor makes this combo way too zoomed in most of the time. I am looking for something a little wider.

I want the FujiFilm x100 but it's probably cost prohibitive so this is my fallback option.

Flo_Evans

Has anybody got any suggestions on how to check if a lens is working correctly?

I have a Nikon 55mm-200mm VR DX AF-S lens that doesn't seem to be focusing correctly. I hadn't used it in a few months and took it with me on a day out yesterday but every single image i used it with was out of focus.
I had plenty of light and was shooting @ iso400 with the aperture at 5.6 so i dont think it was camera shake (I was shooting in similar conditions earlier in the year no problem).

The only way i managed to get a sharp shot was to turn the VR off, even focusing manually with VR on was out of focus.

So to get to the point is there anyway i can figure out if the lens is okay or if it just needs way more light than i remember?

Sounds like the VR system is fucked. Is it still under warranty? Nikon lenses have a pretty awesome 5 year warranty.

Flo_Evans

The 18-55mm lense were in the package, it has a stabilizer too. The plan is to practice with that one before buying any lenses yea, I won't buy any lenses for the next year. :)

I take it, it's because it can't find anything to focus because I have it on the wrong mode.

I am not so sure about the canon options, but on nikons you can choose to set the shutter release to focus priority (will not take a pic unless it is in focus) or release priority (will take a pic even if focus is off).

It could also be that your flash is not re-charged (if using flash) your frame buffer is full and it is writing to the card (if you are shooting bursts).

giga

The kit lens is ok. The 50mm will show you what real sharpness and bokeh is, while forcing you to be better at composing with your feet instead of letting you be lazy with a zoom.

What mode do you have it on? Until the focus point turns red and makes the beep sound, indicating that it has focus, it won't release the shutter. Remember there's a minimum focus distance. Read the manual.

I am thinking of some various camera related purchases, and was wondering if anyone had any impressions of these lenses:

Canon EF 28mm f/1.8
Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Lens

I am shooting with a Rebel XSi and 50mm f/1.4 now, but the crop factor makes this combo way too zoomed in most of the time. I am looking for something a little wider.

I want the FujiFilm x100 but it's probably cost prohibitive so this is my fallback option.
The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is better than both. Better bokeh, larger aperture, faster/better AF, and cheaper than the 28mm.

The reccomendation for the Tamron 28-75 2.8 was amazing. This thing is fast, sharp and has great great image quality. I see now how much good glass can change my images.

Now I will be looking into prime lenses. My next goals would be something in the 100mm range and eventually something more wide angle, maybe 10-30mm

Falch

Anyone here with experience with the 55-210 sony nex lens yet? I'm looking to get one soon. Only have the 18-55 kit lens sofar.

BlueTsunami

TxdoHawk

Considering grabbing a NEX-C3 with the pancake lens. Most of my photography is indoors and at close-range...I had a T3 at one point, but it was just too much to carry around if my primary plan wasn't shooting. Full DSLR performance with a tiny footprint is attractive, considering that lens will cover 98% of my shooting. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the lack of buttons.

To owners: Is it a hassle to set things up for shots, once you have your custom presets the way you like them?

Everyone else: Anything else I should consider along these lines?

dmshaposv

The kit lens is ok. The 50mm will show you what real sharpness and bokeh is, while forcing you to be better at composing with your feet instead of letting you be lazy with a zoom.

What mode do you have it on? Until the focus point turns red and makes the beep sound, indicating that it has focus, it won't release the shutter. Remember there's a minimum focus distance. Read the manual.

The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is better than both. Better bokeh, larger aperture, faster/better AF, and cheaper than the 28mm.

Sigma f/ 1.4 is great but if he intends to upgrade to full frame I'd suggest canon 28mm f/ 1.8 or canon 50mm f/1.4 (similar price points). Although Sigma is better and usable for cropped sensors only and has dat extra stop.

LordAlu

Greetings Camera-GAF.

I'm here for advice. Right now I use a 1979 Canon AV-1 SLR and have enjoyed using it immensely - so much so that I now want to pick up a DSLR. I will be buying it here in the lovely UK from Jessops (www.jessops.com) as they offer a 6-month interest free payment. I'm looking to spend probably up to £600-£650.

In that price range, I've been looking at the Nikon D3100, the Canon EOS 550D (or T2i) or even the Canon EOS 600D (or T3i).

Now, I'm not looking to do any video work whatsoever - I'll only be using the camera for photography, so I'm not bothered about video performance or features. I've tried handling a Nikon D5100 (which seems pretty much identical in shape to a Nikon D3100) and a Canon EOS 550D before and both felt comfortable to me.

Can GAF provide me with any arguments for any of the cameras, or even for a different camera if it comes within budget? Should I just go for the kit lens ones, or should I see if I can go for body only and a different lens? I've been using a Canon 50mm f1.4 lens with my AV-1 so I'm used to something like that - should I go for something similar for these DSLR's or stick with the kit lens' for now?

Anyway, I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on them before I look to plump down money on one! Come at me GAF! :D

So photography has always interested me as a creative output, and I've always loved experimenting with different approaches and styles to photography. I've also taken the time to actually learn the workings of professional SLRs.

Now since I put my digital compact through the wash about a month ago, I'm looking to take the bold step into semi-professional photography.

Bearing in mind I've never purchased a DSLR before, I'm seeking CameraGAF's guidance on a suitable model and lens.
As I said, I'm not a complete newbie, but I've yet to reach the level of understanding that defines me from the masses. Somewhere in the middle-ish, if you will.

I've looked into it, and the model that seems to deliver the best results and has the highest value for money appears to be the Canon Rebel T2i (EOS 550D). I've heard great reviews on this and it appears to be the best in class.

Also, I've seen it online for under $400 (crazy, I know) bundled with an EF-S/18-55 IS lens. Seeing as I can't really afford to buy anything above £550-£600, this seems ideal.

TL;DR: Need a DSLR under £600, looked at Canon EOS 550D but need guidance/other suggestions.

Damaged

Sounds like the VR system is fucked. Is it still under warranty? Nikon lenses have a pretty awesome 5 year warranty.

Bit marginal on the warranty, I bought its second hand in Tokyo on my honeymoon so taking it back make may cost more than its worth lol. I have registered it on Nikons website and they seem to have accepted that so i may try my luck with them.

Anyone here with experience with the 55-210 sony nex lens yet? I'm looking to get one soon. Only have the 18-55 kit lens sofar.

I have one, what do you want to know?

It's basically the kit lens in 55-210 form. The only thing to note is that it's a very long lens if that's a concern of yours. Now that Tamron has announced an 18-200mm E-mount lens, I hope it or the Sony version will eventually drop down in price since I would prefer to have one of them and ditch the 2 Sony zooms. Sony also has a "G" mid-range zoom coming out this year, so that might be a nice lens to get since it will be higher quality than the existing E-mount zooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom