• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Your Fuji doesn't have an A or S priority mode. Of course, it isn't really manual. :)

I had a Kodak P880 long ago and it was manual with DSLR-like controls. I could shoot in RAW, set it to A priority or go completely manual with it. Set ISO, metering, bracketing, you name, it had it. The move from that old camera to DSLR's (mirrorless too) was not for the sake of controls, but for the obvious IQ and general performance upgrade. Everything else was familiar.

And you underestimate the number of enthusiast cameras in the P&S market. There are more than two, including the successor of the camera that was mentionned before, the LX3.

Well the point is F200 was a Fuji flagship P&S like the X10. Fuji could very well give you "manual control" on the spec sheet but in real life cripple them to the point of not usable. I am not bashing Fuji really.

My point was you can't learn on a high end P&S. High end P&S are designed for people who own a SLR and want a smaller backup.

And please don't bring up LX3 blad blad blad. Without ever touching the LX3, I bet you 100 dollar the 5n still have better and more accessible control than the LX3.

Well the point is F200 was a Fuji flagship P&S like the X10. Fuji could very well give you "manual control" on the spec sheet but in real life cripple them to the point of not usable. I am not bashing Fuji really.

My point was you can't learn on a high end P&S. High end P&S are designed for people who own a SLR and want a smaller backup.

And please don't bring up LX3 blad blad blad. Without ever touching the LX3, I bet you 100 dollar the 5n still have better and more accessible control than the LX3.

Sounds to me you're stuck with rigid camera definitions.

As for the silly bet...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/page17.asp

Comprehensive photographic control

Generally good user interface

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n/page15.asp

Operation is very different in photo creativity modes compared to PASM modes - may be confusing for ambitious novices.

It's ok. You can keep your money. :)

Im thinking about picking up an Olympus EP-2 body for $300 with a Panasonic 20mm 4/3 lens for $330, putting my total price at over $600. Is this a good deal for the money? I currently just have a Lumix DMC-ZS1 point and shoot.

I'd love something for low-light indoor situations and portraits. I'm 25, I figure I'll mostly use it to take photos of my fiance, my friends during social situations and parties (hence the low-light), and potentially a child in a few years.

I've wanted a camera for awhile but just started researching for a few hours this afternoon. If you have better recommendations let me know.

Another option seems to be getting an old D20 on the cheap since I'm just getting into this. I don't want to throw a lot of cash (relatively speaking, I know these are on the low end of the price spectrum) at this if I don't have to. But I would like something compact that will last a long time if it's quality stuff.

I see someone earlier was looking at an EPL1 with kit lens for $250, but the lack of physical controls isn't something I want to deal with for years.

The E-PL1 is missing a control wheel but I never had trouble dialing in the aperture, shutter or ISO. Also, the E-PL1 actually has slightly better image quality due to a lighter anti-aliasing filter.

However, the E-P2 is a much better looking camera with a much more solid build.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm still looking for a good tripod for my Nikon D7000. It can be rather windy where I'll be (Patagonia), but I'd like something that is compact and not too heavy.

Right now I'm thinking maybe this one, but there are a few bad reviews that make me uncertain. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D60LG8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ShowDog

The E-PL1 is missing a control wheel but I never had trouble dialing in the aperture, shutter or ISO. Also, the E-PL1 actually has slightly better image quality due to a lighter anti-aliasing filter.

However, the E-P2 is a much better looking camera with a much more solid build.

Just discovered there is an EPL2 and that seems to merge the best of the EPL1 with the EP2, even if it costs an extra $140 since you can't buy it without kit lens.

However, I just saw a Panasonic GF1 with 20mm lens for $500 online used. So I think I might just do that instead. It seems its a trade off between video codec and color rendition/noise at higher isos. Plus it's a cheaper combo.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
The prices for the X-1Pro seem to have leaked via Amazon. They posted and then removed the listings. Time for everyone to come back down to earth. I knew the alleged cost of the body plus kit was too good to be true:

All of this was found on http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/.

Body only: $1695
The 35mm f/1.4:$499
The 18mm f/2.0: $499
The 60mm macro lens: $599

This is more of an M9 replacement.

Also, some anonymous rumors from a forum poster on DPReview (so grain of salt):

1) RGB pixels in 6*6 random pixel sets
2) More lenses and M-mount to X adapter are coming within 2012.
3) The optical viewfinder offers different magnification x0.37 for the WA, and x0.6 for the other two lenses. The magnification ratio is also user selectable for using third party lenses.
4) The camera comes with some new film modes + multiple exposure features.
5) Accessories will include leather case, new flash, grip.
6) Every lens will come with hood, also fuji will offer protective filters.

It’s important to underline that there is no word yet about the fact that Fuji will use the new organic sensor technology. They keep talking about the randomly positioned Pixels and not about the used material. And the new M-mount adapter will allow current Leica lens owners to buy a cheap M9 alike camera that will probaby beat the M9 image quality (if the Fuji marketing guys are telling us the truth about the new sensor being better than any current FF sensor).

A new source also sent me the following info: “Fuji mirrorless camera will be announced at 9pm GMT on Monday… it looks amazing, looks like it will be a big hit with many people!” (Thanks for sending me this!)

You can follow the announcement live here on MirrorlessRumors. I will update you with all the news, revies and tests I can found on the web. So buy your Popcorns and be online here at 4pm NYC time, 9pm London time or 10pm Berlin time or 6am Tokyo time!

Thanks Steve and the anonymous source

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I am not sure what is LOL worthy about the price. The 7D is over 2 years old and (I believe) had the same MSRP when it came out.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
New price definitely brings my excitement down to earth and really makes me consider other mirrorless cameras. But this price is definitely more realistic than the 1,300 euro for both the body and 35/1.4.

At that price point its time for Fuji to show me what gains the newly developed sensor can do over traditional ones. Also the XP1 at this pricepoint is sitting at around the Zeiss Ikon Film rangefinder.

giga

I am not sure what is LOL worthy about the price. The 7D is over 2 years old and (I believe) had the same MSRP when it came out.
The fact it's priced above the 7D was what's funny, considering how it's Canon's best APS-C dslr and one of the best APS-C dslrs period.

East Lake

7D is nice but it's not for people who like a rangefinder system more than an slr. It's the only thing out there with a viewfinder that doesn't cost as much as a used car.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Any idea if it's normal that I don't have a rear-lens cap for my lens? I only have one for the front.

BTW any idea why no matter what I do, different ISO settings give me the exact same result? Just started using my D7000.

edit: nm, found the problem and the cap

BlueTsunami

It won't look better than the FF sensor on the M9. That's some wishful thinking.

I think it totally depends on what Fuji means by better but they haven't expounded on this. But yeah, this remains to be seen. Its a large boast though and they've got their own reveal during CES which adds to the seriousness from Fuji I think.

I'd also choose the Fuji X-P1 over the 7D. I'm just done with DSLRs and do not need class leading Auto Focus since I've been manually focusing for 2 years now. Different markets and needs though. The Fuji also has the advantage of maintaining an optical viewfinder while being a mirrorless body. I appreciate that Fuji isn't allowing optical viewfinders to go the way of the dodo.

tino

Banned
If its within 20% different of the X100 its still a decent price to me. You can buy a X100 for 1k now. If I can buy one for 1200 its acceptable to me. More acceptable than NEX7 anyway.

The fact it's priced above the 7D was what's funny, considering how it's Canon's best APS-C dslr and one of the best APS-C dslrs period.

What does the 7D have that the Fuji doesn't have? An faster AF module, a Pentaprism. What else? Do I think these two are more expensive than the Fuji EVF/OVF assembly? No I don't think so. If this price get a rise out of you have you heard of Sigma SD1?

giga

What does the 7D have that the Fuji doesn't have? An faster AF module, a Pentaprism. What else? Do I think these two are more expensive than the Fuji EVF/OVF assembly? No I don't think so. If this price get a rise out of you have you heard of Sigma SD1?
Do we have a full spec list? We haven't even seen any high iso samples yet. Keeping the sensor out of it, right now we have:

- faster af
- 100% coverage pentaprism vf
- speed of operation and af point selection (if the x100 is anything to go by)
- faster continuous shooting
- weather sealing
- longer battery life
- lens selection

tino

Banned
Do we have a full spec list? We haven't even seen any high iso samples yet. Keeping the sensor out of it, right now we have:

- faster af
- 100% coverage pentaprism vf
- speed of operation and af point selection (if the x100 is anything to go by)
- faster continuous shooting
- weather sealing
- longer battery life
- lens selection

Fuji has
* 100% coverage for the EVF
* Metal body
* Accessible to 100 year of M mount lenses.
* Fuji color

Everything else is just variation of faster AF, which I couldn't care less. I can not express to you how little I care about auto focus.

giga

Fuji has
* 100% coverage for the EVF
* Metal body
* Accessible to 100 year of M mount lenses.
* Fuji color

Everything else is just variation of faster AF, which I couldn't care less. I can not express to you how little I care about auto focus.
Cool. I can't stand EVFs. AF, operation, and performance are critical to the work I do.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
giga, I am surprised you are getting into a spec sheet contest. Aren't you an avid Apple product user? Surely you realize that bullet points are only part of the story.

If a 7D is better for you by all means that is what you should get but to immediately laugh at the X-1Pro's alleged price when it has not even been officially announced is jumping the gun I think.

giga

giga, I am surprised you are getting into a spec sheet contest. Aren't you an avid Apple product user? Surely you realize that bullet points are only part of the story.

If a 7D is better for you by all means that is what you should get but to immediately laugh at the X-1Pro's alleged price when it has not even been officially announced is jumping the gun I think.
I wasn't the one who brought up the spec sheet contest. I don't see why you guys are getting riled up about me having a hoot about the price though. If $1700 for just the body is accurate, then I think it's funny. If not, then that's great news.

Zyzyxxz

Any idea if it's normal that I don't have a rear-lens cap for my lens? I only have one for the front.

BTW any idea why no matter what I do, different ISO settings give me the exact same result? Just started using my D7000.

edit: nm, found the problem and the cap

That's because ISO bumps up sensitivity to light so in low light situations you can bump up the ISO when it's dark but it will also increase in noise (pixels of off colors and grain that will affect image quality)

D7000 has a great sensor and you can shoot at 1600 all the time and some situations 3200 will produce little "noticeable" grain.

If you are shooting outdoors in sunlight you want to go as low as you can like ISO 100, indoors you can go 1600 or 3200 depending on how grainy you want to accept your photos hence why you probably don't need a tripod you were asking for earlier as your camera is fast enough for most situations except long exposures which are a different thing altogether.

mantidor

I need advice from the experts. Recently my nice Nikon camera got water damage and is not responding. Is the Nikon Coolpix S8100, which was awesome an really I have no complaints whatseover, night shots were amazing whihc is kind of what I'm looking for. Now I face three options:

1. Getting it repaired.
2. Buying an identical one.
3. Upgrade.

I really have no idea about cameras, and my budget goes up to $300, no more, I'm no serious photographer but I like to take good pictures and try my best to learn about cameras, photography and what not. With this in mind, would any of you kind gentlemen be able to help me? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Zyzyxxz

I need advice from the experts. Recently my nice Nikon camera got water damage and is not responding. Is the Nikon Coolpix S8100, which was awesome an really I have no complaints whatseover, night shots were amazing whihc is kind of what I'm looking for. Now I face three options:

1. Getting it repaired.
2. Buying an identical one.
3. Upgrade.

I really have no idea about cameras, and my budget goes up to $300, no more, I'm no serious photographer but I like to take good pictures and try my best to learn about cameras, photography and what not. With this in mind, would any of you kind gentlemen be able to help me? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If buying a new one buy a used/refurbished Canon S95 which will take better photos than your S8100. You can also get a used LX5 for under $300 as well which is also an amazing point and shoot camera.

olbareun

Cool. I can't stand EVFs. AF, operation, and performance are critical to the work I do.

I am worried about X-pro 1's external AF unit. Given that its not focusing through what the lens is seeing, it can run into calibration issues..

As for the price.. I knew 1300 for lens + body rumor was too good to be true :(
the price of the new sensor alone could easily bring up the camera price and this is my guess as to why the AF unit was moved out (to ease some load from demosaicing?)

BlueTsunami

the price of the new sensor alone could easily bring up the camera price and this is my guess as to why the AF unit was moved out (to ease some load from demosaicing?)

Apparently the newly developed EXR Pro Processor was needed to deal with this part of the processing (as per rumors). Not sure how the X100 sensor/processor is setup but the X-P1 looks more robust in that regard.

mantidor

If buying a new one buy a used/refurbished Canon S95 which will take better photos than your S8100. You can also get a used LX5 for under $300 as well which is also an amazing point and shoot camera.

Thanks! I checked it in Amazon and this Canon SX230HS appeared in the recommendations and called my attention, specially for the price, any opinions? looks like a steal but I'm not that knowledgeable.

tino

Banned
OK this G1X is a shocker. I was 95% convinced its a 2/3" camera but it turn out to be a 1.7X camera. Baiscally a Rebel with 3X2 sensor chopped off both sides to become a 4X3 sensor.

So Canon has the ball to make a camera that eat into its own DSLR bottom lines. Take some cue Nikon.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

BlueTsunami

while my Konica lens is in repairs I'm looking to buy wide-angle one for my Nex-5. Any suggestions? 100-200$ budget.

also I'm looking for an adapter for Nikkor.

do these work well with old and new (AI) Nikon lenses?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikko...ultDomain_0&hash=item27c097f38d#ht_6444wt_905

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikko...=AU_Lenses&hash=item2a15768661#ht_6230wt_1139

also is there any nikkor adapters for Canon EOS?

I use a Fotodiox Nikon-F to EOS for my nikkors (own a 28/2 Ai and 105/2.5 Ai and they work fine)

Zyzyxxz

OK this G1X is a shocker. I was 95% convinced its a 2/3" camera but it turn out to be a 1.7X camera. Baiscally a Rebel with 3X2 sensor chopped off both sides to become a 4X3 sensor.

So Canon has the ball to make a camera that eat into its own DSLR bottom lines. Take some cue Nikon.
Gx1 isn't exactly bottom material I see it as a side kick to your 5d or 7d and it costs more than an entry level canon with kit lens. But still a shocker and I want to play with it. It is tge first of its kind right? A sensor that large how is the lens not larger?

Flo_Evans

Gx1 isn't exactly bottom material I see it as a side kick to your 5d or 7d and it costs more than an entry level canon with kit lens. But still a shocker and I want to play with it. It is tge first of its kind right? A sensor that large how is the lens not larger?

Mvcf9.jpg

The lens is a good bit larger than the G12.

Seems like a perfect travel cam to me.

Maybe the lens is similar in design to the new Panasonic X zoom for m4/3. I'd like to see a comparison between this and the Fuji X10 at different levels of light, given the different strategies taken (Fuji: fast lens/smaller sensor, Canon: larger sensor, slower lens).

tino

Banned

No Sony made one, Sony R1 was also a 1.7X 5X zoom camera. It was alot bigger. This one is close to X100's size.

What the hell do you call it? A Mega Pint & Shoot? It aims directly at Nikon 1's casual market. I can image Nikon is having over night meeting right now.

I am guessing they are able to make the lens small with tons of build-in software correction of the lens.

Radec

If I'm in the market for a serious P&S, I'd wait Panasonic's answer to this than Nikon.

Nikon's P&S department is a PieceOfShit.

Zyzyxxz

No Sony made one, Sony R1 was also a 1.7X 5X zoom camera. It was alot bigger. This one is close to X100's size.

What the hell do you call it? A Mega Pint & Shoot? It aims directly at Nikon 1's casual market. I can image Nikon is having over night meeting right now.

I am guessing they are able to make the lens small with tons of build-in software correction of the lens.

Ahh I see, but Sony was charging $999 for it back in 2005. In comparison this Canon is much easier to swallow since it's form factor make it worth having a larger sensor and price point.

I like the Nikon mirrorless cameras and their relatively tiny sensor isn't that bad actually but its pricey for what it is and the crop factor is too much if you use the adapter for AF-S lenses.

I really want to test out this but I have to admit the G1X is basically a cheaper and more mainstream alternative to the Fuji X100 it seems. $300 less and with a zoom lens too?

G1X carries on Canon's proud tradition of dad cameras with useless viewfinders. It's nice that they kept the f/2.8 on the wide end, but of course that has to quickly disappear with the zoom.

At this point, the only thing I still want to see announced for the X-Pro 1 (that's a really awkward name) is a snap/scale-focus setting like Ricoh uses. Otherwise, I'm nearly sold on it. I'm waiting to see a price for the black X100, too.

BlueTsunami

More rumors about the Fuji XP-1 pricing. Supposedly the $1699 pricepoint was a mistake and its supposed to be $1299. It remains to be seen if that's the price with a lens or not.

I don't really care for the Canon G1X either. Not sure why they included a crummy optical finder on such a small camera, may as well ticked $100 off the price and made it a pure live view camera. Supposedly Canon has another body to be announced at some point this year that does have an interchangeable mount.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
The Fuji Xpro-1 press release:

Fujifilm is proud to announce the new model changes the rules in the new interchangeable lens system: Fujifilm X-Pro1. This camera is aimed at a professional audience and advanced amateurs and incorporates advanced technologies such as Trans-X's unique sensor CMOSTM megapixel APS-C 16, a new X port for mounting the lens, a viewfinder and three hybrid optical the base.

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2012/01/09/fuji-x-pro-1-press-release/#ixzz1izV8Mpfu

tino

Banned
When I had the Canon G9, I used the OVF all the time. It was faster to take snapshot and I just needed to know where the center of the frame is. It also saved battery.

This is a better camera to recommand to friends or family if they don't want to learn, especially if you don't want to trouble shoot for your friends. Get a X10 or G1X, that's it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Looks like Fuji gets it. People want smallish lenses with their mirrorless cameras. Something Sony has failed to realize. I like how fuji of all companies can launch with three brand new lenses right out of the gate too.

Fuji makes some great odd little(and big) cameras.

worth mentioning those Sigma lenses are also available for m4/3

Forsete

Sigma announced two new NEX lenses

sigma_mirrorless.jpg

Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN

Nothing super exciting for me. A lens in the 24mm range is what I want. Guess I'll have to settle for the Zeiss then. :p

Sigma announced two new NEX lenses

sigma_mirrorless.jpg

Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN

Nothing super exciting for me. A lens in the 24mm range is what I want. Guess I'll have to settle for the Zeiss then. :p

They're coming for other systems too. Gimped/developed for NEX as base platform and then lazily ported onto other systems.

Sigma used to try a little harder with their primes...

BlueTsunami

The Fuji X-P1 has been confirmed at $1700 for the body alone. I think they're going to feel a lot of resistance to this price point with the NEX-7 sitting at $1199.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom