• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Got my 14mm 2.5 coming in the mail for my GF2. With that combo it'll be ultra compact!

I hate the kit lens it's so damn slow with the limited ISO ability of this camera. Hoping to pick up the OM-D in a year when price drops.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
need a macro option for my Panasonic g3, but not sure I want to spend the cost of the dedicated macro. Any other m4/3 lenses with good macro-like capabilities, or a different make using an adapter (I have a Canon adapter)

Guys,

I'm going to get a 1.6 crop sensor camera, what is the best walk-around lens? Is the lens kit worth it? I'm interested in the Sigma 30mm 1.4 but the AF sound is putting me off. Is it pointless in getting the Canon 50mm 1.8 with the Sigma?

I want to do street photography as well as portraits (low light)

Personally i absolutely love the Sigma 30 mm 1.4. However, you need to get a good copy. Most of them will be, and if it's not a good sharp copy you can send it back for another copy. Plenty of forums discuss this.

But it's a great lens for a crop body. It has that something special in shots, it's sharp, nice bokeh, good color. And, you almost always are able to shoot with available light!!

I'd recommend it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Guys,

I'm going to get a 1.6 crop sensor camera, what is the best walk-around lens? Is the lens kit worth it? I'm interested in the Sigma 30mm 1.4 but the AF sound is putting me off. Is it pointless in getting the Canon 50mm 1.8 with the Sigma?

If you get a nikon they have the 35mm 1.8 DX, good and cheap (around 200$). It rounds off close to 50mm on a 1.6 crop body.

ChryZ

need a macro option for my Panasonic g3, but not sure I want to spend the cost of the dedicated macro. Any other m4/3 lenses with good macro-like capabilities, or a different make using an adapter (I have a Canon adapter)
The Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 Macro is pretty inexpensive on eBay, I've seen impressive results with m4/3 cams.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm not satisfied with my NEX-3. The main reason is that it's not comfortable to hold it in hands with any kind of old lens. They are usually pretty heavy and big. So I want to sell it and buy some other camera in the same class.

or may be I should buy somethig more serious? no matter how small it originally is, it's not small when you put some old lens on it.

tino

Banned
I'm not satisfied with my NEX-3. The main reason is that it's not comfortable to hold it in hands with any kind of old lens. They are usually pretty heavy and big. So I want to sell it and buy some other camera in the same class.

or may be I should buy somethig more serious? no matter how small it originally is, it's not small when you put some old lens on it.

The way I hold my nex3 is flip up the lcp and put the thumb under it. Have you tried it?

RuGalz

no matter how small it originally is, it's not small when you put some old lens on it.
That's pretty much my problem with m43. I'd rather have something a little bigger (but not monstrous) with good ergonomic and go small with lens when I want to travel light.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Certain M mount lenses can make the nex pretty compact.

Pretty much. I almost wish Sony went with some sort of hybrid M-mount system for their native lenses. Large enough to accommodate FF rangefinder lenses without having to splinter off the mount. Develop FF lenses for this mount and correct any aberrations and defects that come with such a short flange distance in camera (mainly strong color shifting at the edges).

Here's an example of the NEX-3 with a petite rangefinder lens. The Voigtlander 35/1.4 Nokton Classic...

5364978720_ab6b1711b9.jpg

*not my photo

Original link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/terence_s_jones/5364978720/

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I just got a Canon EOS 550D/EOS Rebel T2i with an 18-55mm lens. I'm quite new to the photography scene... any tips on starting out? Should I read some books to get started?

Don't read too many books! It's more important to get shooting and make plenty of your own mistakes.

That said, there are two that I found particularly useful:
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Get the third edition though. The earlier editions are a bit hard to work your way through in the digital age, you have to keep mentally translating.
Light Science and Magic by Hunter, Biver and Fuqua. It's quite a technical book, but very useful in understanding the nature of light

snack

Don't read too many books! It's more important to get shooting and make plenty of your own mistakes.

That said, there are two that I found particularly useful:
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Get the third edition though. The earlier editions are a bit hard to work your way through in the digital age, you have to keep mentally translating.
Light Science and Magic by Hunter, Biver and Fuqua. It's quite a technical book, but very useful in understanding the nature of light

Thanks, phisheep! I'm looking forward to trying out this camera soon. Really excited.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I just got into photography, bought Canon T3i about a months ago, I'd like to use it to shoot wildlife or landscape photography but I haven't got the chance to do that, so for the time being, I use it a lot for portrait and in door party event etc. now I've been reading guides and magazine a little bit here and there, I'm thinking that I really need a speedlite, the flash extension thing so that I can direct the flash not straight to my subject.

what are your opinion? also can you give me tips or link to guides about taking in door photograph of a party, wedding etc. any other crucial or necessary accessories that is recommended?

Speedlite is useful, but can get a bit cumbersome at parties especially if you want to mount it off-camera - risk of knocking someone's eye out if you have it on a bracket, risk of someone knocking it over if you put it on a light stand (plus, it restricts your movement). If you're going to be moving round a lot then probably best to mount it on-camera but bounce the light off the ceiling.

You can try this out for cheap by making a bounce card to mount in front of your on-camera flash.

EDIT: is this the sort of thing you were looking for?

giga

This is pretty sweet. If you don't have GPS on your camera, you can use an app on your phone that'll keep a log of your coordinates in a gpx file. You then import that into Lightroom and it matches the timestamps with your coordinates.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-...-logs-to-geotag-your-photos-with-lightroom-4/

The app he suggested looks hideous though so I'm looking at alternatives. GPS Tracks and MotionX GPS look alright and they cost less too.

http://regex.info/blog/2012-01-15/1922

nitewulf

Guys,

for that your best bet is a mirrorless body, like a gf1/gf2 with a panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens. street photography has to be discreet for the most part...dslrs aren't conducive for that.

Zyzyxxz

What about the Olympus 45 f/1.8? You can get it new for $400 or used for 350 or less if lucky. It's not a true macro but with a 90mm equivalment to 35mm focal distance and a minimum focus distance of 0.5 meters it's not bad.

I usually buy all my gear used on Fred Miranda forums, never had a problem dealing with users there since they have to pay and give their personal information in order to sell.

Ember128

I just got into photography, bought Canon T3i about a months ago, I'd like to use it to shoot wildlife or landscape photography but I haven't got the chance to do that, so for the time being, I use it a lot for portrait and in door party event etc. now I've been reading guides and magazine a little bit here and there, I'm thinking that I really need a speedlite, the flash extension thing so that I can direct the flash not straight to my subject.

what are your opinion? also can you give me tips or link to guides about taking in door photograph of a party, wedding etc. any other crucial or necessary accessories that is recommended?
For the Speedlite, check out the 430EXII. It dropped in price recently. That'll raise up the flash a bit. One example of a good party shot is actually Sudden Clarity Clarence.

Can anyone recommend me a really good camera with a price range between £200 to £325

Brands will be either Lumix, Canon and Sony

This one seems a decent one but i'd like recommendations from anyone

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I just got this in the door: Pixel Pro Digital & Film Camera 100M Wireless Shutter Remote Control, can somebody tell me why it doesn't work in Bulb mode or Continuous?

I have a Canon 60D and I have set the mode to that normal green box icon.

Bulb mode is for the Flash right?

I believe Bulb (which lets you hold the shutter open as long as you want) only works in Manual mode - which is kind of obvious when you realise that all the other modes either set the shutter speed for you or use it to work out how to set something else.

Similarly (at least on my 550D) Continuous is available on portrait and sport (and optional on the creative zone modes), but not available on full auto.

So it's not the remote control's fault.

Pachimari

I believe Bulb (which lets you hold the shutter open as long as you want) only works in Manual mode - which is kind of obvious when you realise that all the other modes either set the shutter speed for you or use it to work out how to set something else.

It's not obvious to me, cause I'm still such a noob lol. I even tried out all the modes.

Thanks for the answer, I'll try it out! Do you happen to know why Continuous mode doesn't work?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It's not obvious to me, cause I'm still such a noob lol. I even tried out all the modes.

Thanks for the answer, I'll try it out! Do you happen to know why Continuous mode doesn't work?

I edited that in above. there should be a big table near the back of the manual that explains what works with which mode.

'Bulb' refers to one of these, not a flash bulb. Lets you actuate the shutter without disturbing the camera on its tripod.

Note: you have to have a compatible shutter release to use one of the real bulbs. On such cameras, the release button has a threaded hole in it for attaching a cable-release, which may or may not have an actual bulb at the end. Labelling it 'bulb' on a DSLR unequipped for a cable release is just tradition.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
@Anastacio

Just checked the 60D manual - there's a special mode for Bulb on the top dial (it works differently to mine)

Zyzyxxz

Wow finally a fast wide angle from Nikon that is semi affordable compared to the old 28mm 1.4.

Makes me considering getting a Nikon again but how will they position this against the D5100 which uses the Sony 16MP sensor?

tino

Banned
Huh? The entry level is using the 24mp sensor? What are the D5200, D400 going to use now? And why not premium the 24mp sensor on the D400 first? What?

Zyzyxxz

With me in DX land I wonder if this could be a pretty nice upgrade from my DX AF-S 35mm 1.8G...just a slightly wider focal length and I'm sure the IQ and bokeh will be nicer to boot...

Hard to say if this will be worth the extra money if you own the 35mm 1.8 though as its not very wide. Full frame would take advantage of it better but I don't know.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Wow finally a fast wide angle from Nikon that is semi affordable compared to the old 28mm 1.4.

Makes me considering getting a Nikon again but how will they position this against the D5100 which uses the Sony 16MP sensor?

What does a lens have to do with a body? I don't get your meaning.

Zyzyxxz

What does a lens have to do with a body? I don't get your meaning.

Oh they were two random thoughts didnt mean for them to go together.

Just that the D3200 looked like a good value and the new 28mm makes me want to get a Nikon again.

And as a side thought I was just wondering if the they will keep the D5100 and how the D3200 will be situated with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom