• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Nikon 1 system actually is very good for taking baby photos if you don't want to learn and just want something that focus fast in indoor low light situations and gives decent image quality.

Its strength is focus speed, gradual IQ degradation for high ISO and very P&S like learning curve.

Is this what you're talking about? Is this a DSLR camera? Sorry, I know a shitload about receivers, TVs, computers and video games, but cameras is my gaping void.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OGR3DM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Is this what you're talking about? Is this a DSLR camera? Sorry, I know a shitload about receivers, TVs, computers and video games, but cameras is my gaping void.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OGR3DM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It would be considered a "mirrorless" camera. Its basically a DSLR without the tradition mirror system that reflects the scene up to a viewfinder (or a point and shoot with a lens system and significantly larger sensor). You'll basically be composing photos via the LCD on the back or you can buy the optional EVF with it if you want to compose and shoot this way.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Canon Rebel T1i w/18-55mm lens kit, Canon 50mm F1.8 Lens, a Lowepro Nova 140AW bag, and one of those off brand duracell cards (a class 6 or 10 for speed, size is alright) from futureshop. Check with the local camera store that isn't best buy or futureshop for the camera, lens, and bag, whatever is on sale at best buy or futureshop for the higher Class cards is fine.

The 18-55mm lens will give you a little flexibility to give you a wide-ish angle for landscape, and gives you a little zoom which is really handy to have.

The 50 F1.8 is for photos of people. It does this if you want to focus the attention on the subject and away from the background.

I second this.

Canon Rebel T1i w/18-55mm lens kit, Canon 50mm F1.8 Lens, a Lowepro Nova 140AW bag, and one of those off brand duracell cards (a class 6 or 10 for speed, size is alright) from futureshop. Check with the local camera store that isn't best buy or futureshop for the camera, lens, and bag, whatever is on sale at best buy or futureshop for the higher Class cards is fine.

The 18-55mm lens will give you a little flexibility to give you a wide-ish angle for landscape, and gives you a little zoom which is really handy to have.

The 50 F1.8 is for photos of people. It does this if you want to focus the attention on the subject and away from the background.

Thanks for the recommendation. We're seriously considering this package of stuff. Does anyone else have any other recommendations or thoughts on this specific camera, good, bad, or otherwise?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If I am going to have something larger than a compact like the X100 I may as well stick with my Canon glass and body. The NEX with lens is not smaller by enough of a margin for me to want to dump what I have.

If you want to go manual focus only some M lenses would make the Nex system very compact. :p

SIx9q.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Black NEX7 with the leather cover looks so damn classy. Black rangefinder lenses pair nicely with it too (aesthetically, as seen). That's one of the setups I'm thinking about it but corner issues with wider rangefinder lenses still has me weary. I'm also hoping we see a Full Frame mirrorless this year, lens sizes be damned. I'll just save for a 28/2 Aspherical Leica-M Summicron.

Antiwhippy

So is there a good affordable studio lighting setup set? With emphasis on affordable. :p

Right now I just have a ghetto setup using a LED torch with tracing paper as a diffuser.

Also are there any great guides out there on how to properly use studio lighting?

Chairhome

My subscription to Fotki has lapsed and I'm considering going to another photohost that has a more robust community with applications and phone app support. Flickr and smugmug are considerations, but I'm going more towards flickr since its cheaper. Are there any better alternatives? I liked Fotki but I feel like I can find better.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
So is there a good affordable studio lighting setup set? With emphasis on affordable. :p

Right now I just have a ghetto setup using a LED torch with tracing paper as a diffuser.

Also are there any great guides out there on how to properly use studio lighting?

I use Alien Bees ( http://www.paulcbuff.com/index.php ). The AB800s are good enough for studio work. They are about $280 a head. Nice, wide range of modifiers from PCB. I find it's better to start small and buy decent equipment and add to it as you need more. I started with one strobe and a bounce board, then added another strobe later and so on. I know some people that bought cheap shit that broke after 2 months. ABs are regarded as one of the best bang for your buck lighting brands.

If you want to go the speedlight route and a bit cheaper a lot of people have success using the Yongnuo stuff (as already linked above @ Strobist). I prefer having the full power and wide range of modifiers that strobes offer.

Just keep in mind when investing in lighting you are buying into a system. If you are serious learning studio you want to buy into the right system for yourself so you can expand and your equipment lasts for many years.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hey Camera gaf, I was visiting my parents this weekend and found out my dad bought a new DSLR, a Canon 60D to be specific, and it was fantastic.

I got to take some pretty good shots of our dogs:

Now I've been mulling around the idea of getting a DSLR myself lately but i don't know anything about any of the models whatsoever.

I'm definitely more interested in something lightweight, in the entry level category. I plan on taking a lot of food pictures since my gf and I are doing sort of a food blog type thing, but I also would love to take some landscape ones as well.

Any suggestions on which models to consider would be most helpful! Thank you.

Antiwhippy

Ok wow, I can see I was getting in way over my head. I was hoping for some cheap hacked together table lamp setups or something. :p

I have heard of alien bees but right now I'm pretty restricted in terms of space and budget, even with alien bees. It's something that I'll want to look into in the near future though, just not too feasible now.

That strobist blog is awesome too. Thanks for the link, got it bookmarked for some learning. I might look into the speedlight options but even that is stretching the budget quite a bit.

edit: for the yongnuo stuff, something like this:

http://www.fotogenic.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=269

Can be triggered by on camera flash right? It's really the only way I can trigger it with my Nex C3.

Chairhome

Hey Camera gaf, I was visiting my parents this weekend and found out my dad bought a new DSLR, a Canon 60D to be specific, and it was fantastic.

I got to take some pretty good shots of our dogs:

Now I've been mulling around the idea of getting a DSLR myself lately but i don't know anything about any of the models whatsoever.

I'm definitely more interested in something lightweight, in the entry level category. I plan on taking a lot of food pictures since my gf and I are doing sort of a food blog type thing, but I also would love to take some landscape ones as well.

Any suggestions on which models to consider would be most helpful! Thank you.
Consider the Canon t3i. Its entry-level, similar to your father's 60D with the swivel screen and most of the lenses are interchangeable between the two models, so you could swap lenses with him when you want.

Pachimari

I don't know what has happened or when it happened, but today I noticed that some of the black paint on my Canon EOS 60D (down right corner of the screen) has scratched off so much that the metal underneath is visible. It kind of bothers me, is there a way to paint it oneself?

Photography taken with iPhone 4, so poor quality.
cKhaol.jpg

Do anyone know this?
Or should I just try to ignore it?

It's just so hard as it's pretty new (around 4 months). =/

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Do anyone know this?
Or should I just try to ignore it?

It's just so hard as it's pretty new (around 4 months). =/

take a sharpie to it?

I dont think there's really anyway for you to fix it, its not paint on the body.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Ok wow, I can see I was getting in way over my head. I was hoping for some cheap hacked together table lamp setups or something. :p

There's a lot you can do with ordinary table lamps, especially if you add in a few bits of white/black/shiny card to block or reflect the light.

One thing that's worth doing is to look at something like Strobist and see how close you can get to whatever the effect of the day is just by using whatever you have to hand. A good way of learning about light without having to actually spend money. You'll end up a lot of the time shooting a lamp or sunlight through a hole cut in cardboard, but it's a jolly good way of learning.

That strobist blog is awesome too. Thanks for the link, got it bookmarked for some learning. I might look into the speedlight options but even that is stretching the budget quite a bit.

edit: for the yongnuo stuff, something like this:

http://www.fotogenic.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=269

Can be triggered by on camera flash right? It's really the only way I can trigger it with my Nex C3.

Yes, it can be. I use the Yongnuo 560s (which are WAY cheaper than the 565 - about half the price - because of not having TTL and LCD display and so on), and they trigger quite happily from on-cam flash (and can be set to ignore the redeye preflash).

So I need someone to talk me out of selling my Canon 50mm 1.4 and some other gear to get a X100...

I really like its picture quality and size, and the primary reason im getting it is because I just realized that taking the big DSLR when I go out on walks with my family is just not working anymore, I simply dont take a camera at all now.

I want something with its image quality, i read that it is even better than most 4/3, the problem is that I will be mostly be shooting my 2 year old daughter with it and im afraid that the focusing speed will make me regret the purchase, is it really as bad as some reviews say it is?

Zyzyxxz

Autofocus does suck apparently. Why not get the Olympus OM-D and stick the Panasonic 20mm pancake on it?

The dimensions are about the same and it's slightly thinner as well but it can produce some pretty damn good shots as well. Price wise you are looking at spending the same amount for body alone as the X100 so a lense will add another 2-300ish but you do get interchangeability and with adapters you can use your Canon lenses (although at 2x crop factor).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Consider the Canon t3i. Its entry-level, similar to your father's 60D with the swivel screen and most of the lenses are interchangeable between the two models, so you could swap lenses with him when you want.

Cool, will check that out. Is it lighter than the 60D? That camera is pretty hefty considering I would like to carry it around with me pretty frequently when I go out.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
So I need someone to talk me out of selling my Canon 50mm 1.4 and some other gear to get a X100...

I really like its picture quality and size, and the primary reason im getting it is because I just realized that taking the big DSLR when I go out on walks with my family is just not working anymore, I simply dont take a camera at all now.

I want something with its image quality, i read that it is even better than most 4/3, the problem is that I will be mostly be shooting my 2 year old daughter with it and im afraid that the focusing speed will make me regret the purchase, is it really as bad as some reviews say it is?

This is exactly what I was dealing with. Not bringing a camera at all when you are out and about is much worse than slow focusing. The focusing speed is bad compared to an SLR, sure. It's not terrible though except for in macro mode. There are other benefits as well. I actually had an easier time focusing in a low light room yesterday with the X100 than my XSi and the 50mm 1.4.

What you should do is buy it from a place with a return policy like Crutchfield and give it a go. It is the only real way to see if it is for you.

Antiwhippy

There's a lot you can do with ordinary table lamps, especially if you add in a few bits of white/black/shiny card to block or reflect the light.

One thing that's worth doing is to look at something like Strobist and see how close you can get to whatever the effect of the day is just by using whatever you have to hand. A good way of learning about light without having to actually spend money. You'll end up a lot of the time shooting a lamp or sunlight through a hole cut in cardboard, but it's a jolly good way of learning.

Yes, it can be. I use the Yongnuo 560s (which are WAY cheaper than the 565 - about half the price - because of not having TTL and LCD display and so on), and they trigger quite happily from on-cam flash (and can be set to ignore the redeye preflash).

Thanks for the information!

Do you have any links to tutorials on using the table lamp and card combo?

Autofocus does suck apparently. Why not get the Olympus OM-D and stick the Panasonic 20mm pancake on it?

The dimensions are about the same and it's slightly thinner as well but it can produce some pretty damn good shots as well. Price wise you are looking at spending the same amount for body alone as the X100 so a lense will add another 2-300ish but you do get interchangeability and with adapters you can use your Canon lenses (although at 2x crop factor).

Aww man, the OMD 5 looks really neat but it is a bit out of my budget, pretty huge price difference between it and the X100 ;(

Aww man, the OMD 5 looks really neat but it is a bit out of my budget, pretty huge price difference between it and the X100 ;(

OMD body is $999 and you can probably get the 20mm for $300 used. Alternatively you could start with the 14mm F/2.5 pancake which is the lightest interchangeable lens available on any system. It's a 28mm equivalent lens which I find great as a walk around; it also focuses instantaneously.

tino

Banned

You can get an used DP1/DP2 for 300ish. The focus is even slower than X100 but the image quality is very good when there is enough light.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
For what it's worth, I LOVE the X100. My only issue with it is the slower than DSLR autofocus. If that is your number one priority then you may want to consider something else but if not you ought to try it out.

For what it's worth, I LOVE the X100. My only issue with it is the slower than DSLR autofocus. If that is your number one priority then you may want to consider something else but if not you ought to try it out.

Thanks, as I said, my main worry is missing most shots of my 2 year old playing around, im so close to pull the trigger, looking at sample pics online im completely in love with the picture quality, do you have a gallery?, I would like to see your worse x100 pics, as im afraid its quite biased to just see flickr shots where people post their best.

Radec

Thanks, as I said, my main worry is missing most shots of my 2 year old playing around, im so close to pull the trigger, looking at sample pics online im completely in love with the picture quality, do you have a gallery?, I would like to see your worse x100 pics, as im afraid its quite biased to just see flickr shots where people post their best.

You may want to consider the Nikon 1.
It may not be the most feature packed mirrorless out there but it is certainly the fastest.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc456xXDZPI&nomobile=1

Pachimari

Is there a wireless remote for Canon DSLR's (specifically 60D), that works in video mode? So that you can set it to record and stop with the click of a button. Or are there only ones for when you need to take photographies?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Thanks for the information!

Do you have any links to tutorials on using the table lamp and card combo?

I don't know of any - there's quite probably something out there, but I don't know where.

I just did a lot of experimenting with still-lifes (so they don't move around).

Probably the biggest thing I learned is to look carefully at the lighting so you learn to see what is going on. For example, one early session I started with natural light in a room, and tried to get rid of all the stray highlights and colour casts I had - like a reflection of a window in a mirror, of a pink cast in shadows from a bright pink curtain. Having got it down to just one main source, then put different reflectors/absorbers in to see what they would do. When you're starting out it's often quite difficult to even SEE the difference until you compare shots side-by-side.

Radec

5DMIII | D800 @ ISO6400
Can5D3vsNikD800_noise_JPEG_6400iso.jpg
NikD800vsCan5D3_noise_JPEG_6400iso.jpg

5DMIII | D800 @ ISO12800
Can5D3vsNikD800_noise_JPEG_12800iso.jpg
NikD800vsCan5D3_noise_JPEG_12800iso.jpg

Pretty darn good for a 36mp. But yeah, the 5DMIII is entering the D3s territory.

NEX really needs more lenses. I need my some pancake lenses son!

Schermata03-2456018alle200843.png

Sigma 30mm f/2.8 (NEX)

Probably not fast enough, but the reviews are pretty good. Sharp from center to corners. Pretty cheap too, $199.

TTTR

Atm using a Nikon D2x. I love this camera, sometimes I miss the ability to use high ISO and get decent photos but that's about it.

Thinking of either upgrading to a possible D4x or getting a Leica M9. Will keep my D2x in any case.
This will be a hard decision but I have plenty of time left to think about it (till next year).

Carlisle

(Oops accidentally necroed an ancient thread... Meant to post this here:)

This thread is amazing!

The wife and I were recently married and are stocking up for our Euro honeymoon. First thing on the list will be our first DSLR and we're pumped. But of course, gotta get the RIGHT one.

Naturally, being the informed shopper I like to be, I took to the net and read and watched review after review, talked to friends, read older GAF threads on the matter, etc. Ultimately my choice came down to the Canon T3i and Nikon D5100.

We've pretty much decided on the Nikon, which comes with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX kit lens. And I'll also be getting a 50mm f/1.8 lens after numerous independent GAF recommendations across several threads.

So I guess I just want to share my excitement and seek GAF validation for my choice! Thanks guys :)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
How does one go about picking a tripod + head? There are so many on the market that I'm completely baffled where to start. Some things about my needs in hopes somebody can point me in the right direction... Gitzo, Manfrotto are the brands I hear about the most

1) Shooting a 5DMarkII. The heaviest lens I anticipate having is the 70-200, which is about 3 pounds. So in total, I'm guessing around max 6-7 pounds of weight on the tripod?

2) I currently have a cheapo three axis tripod. I've never used a ball head before, but I anticipate those would be more appealing since there's more freedom of movement.

3) I need to get a tripod before June since I'm going on a trip and will be doing a lot of landscape photography. But beyond that, there's no specific subject I focus on. A general, all-purpose tripod would be great for product photography, landscapes, portraits, etc.

4) I won't be doing any serious hiking so it doesn't have to be superlight carbon fiber. But less weight to lug around would definitely be useful. It doesn't need to be super collapsible either but would be cool also obviously.

I am not afraid to spend good money on a setup, considering that a good one can last a lifetime. But on the other hand, I'm not a pro, so spending $700-800+ on a tripod + head makes me cringe a little.

RuGalz

How does one go about picking a tripod + head? There are so many on the market that I'm completely baffled where to start. Some things about my needs in hopes somebody can point me in the right direction... Gitzo, Manfrotto are the brands I hear about the most

Having used some of the more expensive ones, although not extensively, I ended up picking something from Benro (the flat travel series to be more precise). I couldn't justify the need to spend more than a couple hundred bucks and I like the tripod that folds flat to fit in my suitcase and backpack. Oben is another cheaper brand you could look at. As far as the head goes, there are better ones that support panorama and what not. But I'm not a pro and I find pistol grip to be very easy and quick to operate. So I settled with a cheap Sunpak head. However, it's way more sturdy than I'd expect from a 40 dollars head...

I think if you have a budget, then your choices narrows pretty quickly. Then just look at what features you need within your price range.

HoTHiTTeR

Welp... just picked up a Canon T3i! I had a D40 up until about this time last year and have been waiting for a good deal. New in box @ BB for $540 after a price match. Any tips or tricks w/ my new hardware? My existing rig didn't have VR/IS on any of my lenses (only had the stock kit). I assume I'll be able to out do myself at the airshow this yr vs a couple yrs ago?

DSC_1538.JPG

DSC_0761.JPG

DSC_2148.JPG

nib95

Banned
Any 5D MkIII owners out there? Opinions on an upgrade from 5D MkII? I use it mainly for wedding photography and the odd commercial job (restaurants, websites, apps, graphic work etc).

timestranger

Neo Member
Hey guys,

Totally new to photography and I have been playing with my t2i for awhile now. Lately I have been thinking of getting a new lens to upgrade from my kit lens. My budget is under $400 so any recommendations? :)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hey guys,

Totally new to photography and I have been playing with my t2i for awhile now. Lately I have been thinking of getting a new lens to upgrade from my kit lens. My budget is under $400 so any recommendations? :)

Depends what you want to do with it.

As you're all new to this stuff, then probably a straight replacement for the 18-55 kit lens isn't what you want - chances are you wouldn't notice the difference and couldn't afford anyway.

The sort of things you might consider (all of which I got when I was at roughly the same stage as you) are:
- the 50mm f/1.8. A cheap good quality prime lens, highly recommended for learning composition and getting more familiar with the art of photography
- the EF-S 55-250. Good for wildlife/zoos/distant landscapes/shooting from the upper deck of open-top buses and that sort of thing. Price tends to vary quite a lot, so worth looking around.
- a set of extension tubes as a cheapish way of getting into macro work.

Damaged

(Oops accidentally necroed an ancient thread... Meant to post this here:)

This thread is amazing!

The wife and I were recently married and are stocking up for our Euro honeymoon. First thing on the list will be our first DSLR and we're pumped. But of course, gotta get the RIGHT one.

Naturally, being the informed shopper I like to be, I took to the net and read and watched review after review, talked to friends, read older GAF threads on the matter, etc. Ultimately my choice came down to the Canon T3i and Nikon D5100.

We've pretty much decided on the Nikon, which comes with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX kit lens. And I'll also be getting a 50mm f/1.8 lens after numerous independent GAF recommendations across several threads.

So I guess I just want to share my excitement and seek GAF validation for my choice! Thanks guys :)

You cant go wrong with either of those camera's but personally I would go with the 35mm afs Nikkor f1.8 rather than the 50mm, I have tried both on my D3100 and the 50mm was just a little too close in for using as my main lens. See if there is a local camera shop that will let you try both and see what you think.

timestranger

Neo Member
Depends what you want to do with it.

As you're all new to this stuff, then probably a straight replacement for the 18-55 kit lens isn't what you want - chances are you wouldn't notice the difference and couldn't afford anyway.

The sort of things you might consider (all of which I got when I was at roughly the same stage as you) are:
- the 50mm f/1.8. A cheap good quality prime lens, highly recommended for learning composition and getting more familiar with the art of photography
- the EF-S 55-250. Good for wildlife/zoos/distant landscapes/shooting from the upper deck of open-top buses and that sort of thing. Price tends to vary quite a lot, so worth looking around.
- a set of extension tubes as a cheapish way of getting into macro work.

thanks for the reply; yea I have been looking into prime lenses with wider apertures. I probably wouldn't go for the 50mm as I find it quite tight, though I'm currently considering the sigma 30mm f1.4. Know anything about that lens?

Carlisle

You cant go wrong with either of those camera's but personally I would go with the 35mm afs Nikkor f1.8 rather than the 50mm, I have tried both on my D3100 and the 50mm was just a little too close in for using as my main lens. See if there is a local camera shop that will let you try both and see what you think.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the 35mm when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom