• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

The days of APSC are numbered!

I'm... I'm going to cry ya'll. CRY.

Affordable full frame! I can get a 5DMKII used for that price but the allure of latest and greatest is there.

Also there's a rumor that Sony is developing a new 24MP sensor that coincides with this but they're going to put it in a A77 like body. LAWDY JESUS.

The rumor of a 24MP sensor does make sense though. Should be more forgiving for non-bleeding edge lenses and doesn't requires as much meticulousness as far as the photographing process to really squeeze out absolute IQ from an image is it does with the D800. This D600 will probably be very similar to the D700 versus the D800.

With all this said I definitely can't wait this long for a rumor so I'll probably just end up getting a used 5D instead. But hopefully the D600 sets a nice trend for affordable new full frame bodies.

Flo_Evans

Yeah I would take this with a huge grain of salt.

It makes sense considering the new "mid range" FF lenses nikon is releasing (like the 28 1.8) there will probably be a cheaper than the D800 FF at some point, but when and how much cheaper (and if it will drive old AF-D lenses) is pretty much up in the air.

Zyzyxxz

Lul no AF motor.

You can get a 5DII for $1400 from the canon loyalty program now.

Seriously I know it would be aiming for cheapest FF but no AF motor is ridiculous. I suppose its a way to prevent it from eating sales of the D800 by keeping professionals from buying who already have a good collection of AF-D?

Either way I'll believe it when I see it and yes I'd rather get the 5DII at that price.

BlueTsunami

I wonder if the body will be radically different (as in a mirrorless of some sort). With that they'd have to move the AF motor out. This would be the best route since they'd have to introduce a new line of lenses anyways. You can then adapt all their non AF legacy lenses via an adapter.

tino

Banned
Dude don't trust anything originated from xitek unless it has blurry photo to back it up.

Also this rumor is utter nonsense. So Nikon has new low end FF call D600. What are they going to it its successor 3 years down the road? D700? LOL?

If Sony discontinue the A900 irs not going to make any more 24mp FF sensor. Plus they just fired 10,000 employee.

Dude don't trust anything originated from xitek unless it has blurry photo to back it up.

Also this rumor is utter nonsense. So Nikon has new low end FF call D600. What are they going to it its successor 3 years down the road? D700? LOL?

Remember they did put the D40/50/60/70/80/90 out in the following order: 70/50/80/40/60/90.

If Sony discontinue the A900 irs not going to make any more 24mp FF sensor. Plus they just fired 10,000 employee.

Sony reps have been saying for a while there will be another FF camera, plus seeing as how the imaging division is the most successful branch of their electronics arm, I don't think they will be negatively impacted in any way by the layoffs. Also, the layoffs are planned to happen over the course of this next year.

tino

Banned
Sony reps have been saying for a while there will be another FF camera, plus seeing as how the imaging division is the most successful branch of their electronics arm, I don't think they will be negatively impacted in any way by the layoffs. Also, the layoffs are planned to happen over the course of this next year.

Even if Sony release 3 new FF bodies, I can't see anything but the 36mp sensor.

Remember they did put the D40/50/60/70/80/90 out in the following order: 70/50/80/40/60/90.

They were two lines of products:

70 > 80 > 90 Were mid tier
40 > 60 were low tier

I don't remember what 50 was and I am too lazy to check.

50 was better than 40 and 60 from a feature standpoint (though 60's sensor was better by then). Main focus of my comment, I guess, should have left out the 80 & 90.

BlueTsunami

Even if Sony release 3 new FF bodies, I can't see anything but the 36mp sensor.

I can see them using different sensors for different markets. The 36MP in the D800 would be considered bleeding edge where a hypothetical 24MP one could be something developed from the past sensors in the A800/900.

Flo_Evans

oooh might be doing some stuff for f-stop backpacks http://fstopgear.com/

3Wol2.jpg

free bag get!

(maybe)

Can anyone tell what kind of camera this is based on this shot? My only guess is a Nikon D90 based on the file name. I'd like to know for sure, though.

Fyg6g.jpg

Edit: Or this one...

Ossbx.jpg

Lumix

I'm pretty sure the one on the bottom is a Canon 5D Mark II.
The contour bulges outward on the upper plate with each of the function buttons by the top LCD.
The lens is most likely a 24-105 f/4 L.

Don't know which Nikon camera is in the top photo.

BlueTsunami

Would it be a bad idea to buy it used due to the shutter life?

It depends. I believe the 5D's are rated at 100,000 shutter actuations which is a lot. I'm a heavy shooter with my Rebel XT and got around 25,000 or so after 4 years of owning it. I'd probably worry about the shutter actuations of an original 5D versus the 5DMKII. Looking it up it sounds like a shutter replacement job for a Canon body is around $300 which, at $1500, would throw it back to $1800 but with a fresh new shutter.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Question for Canon users, specifically those with the t2i/550D and the like. Any suggestions for a zoom macro lens under 200 USD?

kr2t0s

Hate to be 'that' guy but was thinking about buying a GF1 with a 20mm. I already own a T3i with 50 1.8 and just looking for something a little smaller. Is GF1 still the almighty 4/3rds? Or is there something better these days?

The cheapest I see are the ones on Amazon - not sure if thats the ballpark I should be paying or not

Hate to be 'that' guy but was thinking about buying a GF1 with a 20mm. I already own a T3i with 50 1.8 and just looking for something a little smaller. Is GF1 still the almighty 4/3rds? Or is there something better these days?

The cheapest I see are the ones on Amazon - not sure if thats the ballpark I should be paying or not
The GF1 has quite a 'cult-like' following three years after release and is still a favorite among m43 users. Its successor is the GX1, which just recently got marked down from $699 to $549 for the body-only version.

While the GX1 is a worthy followup to the GF1 the 'almighty' m43s camera nowadays is the just-released Olympus OM-D E-M5, which was shown several posts before (try the previous page).

that rumored sensor sounds good. I'm in the ugly position of being stuck with 4 cheap-ass sony lenses and an old body, but as soon as I buy one more lens I would have more or less officially 'bought in' to Sony cameras for the foreseeable future. And so far I'm not really a fan on SLT cameras =\

kr2t0s

The GF1 has quite a 'cult-like' following three years after release and is still a favorite among m43 users. Its successor is the GX1, which just recently got marked down from $699 to $549 for the body-only version.

While the GX1 is a worthy followup to the GF1 the 'almighty' m43s camera nowadays is the just-released Olympus OM-D E-M5, which was shown several posts before (try the previous page).

Awesome - thanks a lot for the response

Omzz

Just grabbed myself a Canon T2i kit, with an Init Camera Case and an 8GB Duracell SD card for 655 including taxes. I thought it wasn't a bad deal so snagged it while I got the chance.

What do you guys think? Good/Bad Deal?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
You got a link I don't have to register?

I am pretty sure this deal only run for a few days, but I just want to see it myself.

It's a long running program, but the price and availability of cameras varies.

I'll quote some of the post...

Overview - The Canon Loyalty Program provides the opportunity to trade in an existing Canon product for a refurbished Canon Digital SLR. There are Point and Shoot and Video options available, but this Thread will focus on the DSLR options. The program initially required the trade in product to be broken (easy to accomplish), but recently they have relaxed this restriction to simply being out of warranty. There have been reports of Film Cameras being accepted, but for now assume that you will need a broken (or out of warranty) Canon Digital camera (P&S or DSLR).

This is a very fluid program. Pricing, availability, requirements, and eligibility have changed almost on a daily basis. You will also find a wide range of answers from the Customer Service Representatives at the CLP - especially regarding product availability. If you read about a new development and don't like the answer you initially get when calling, I would recommend calling back and checking with a different CSR.

How do I contact Canon? The phone number for the CLP is 1 (866) 443-8002. Select option "2".

When are they open? They are open 7 days a week. Phone lines are answered from 8:00AM to Midnight Eastern.

I have searched the Canon website and can't find anything about the Canon Loyalty Program. Why is that? Because it is not published on the website. The only way to order is via the phone number above.
Are Lens or Flash products available with this program? In addition to the kit options for the T series, the 50D, and 60D, you may purchase one additional refurbished lens, and one refurbished Speedlight from the following list:

EF 17-40 f/4
EF 24-105 f/4 L
EF 28-135
EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 50mm f/1.8
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
EF 70-300 (Non-L)
EF 75-300
EF 85mm f/1.8
EFS 10-22
EFS 18-135
EFS 18-200
EFS 55-250
EF 2x Extender
Speedlight 430 EXII

Pricing is 80% of the current refurbished price on the Canon Direct website (multiply current price by .80)
There is no option for purchasing a stand alone lens under this Program and naturally, lens options are based on availability. Lens must be ordered at the same time as the camera. If you purchase a lens or flash in conjunction with your camera, your shipment will be upgraded to 2nd Day at no additional charge.

Refurb camera, plain white box with all accessories. 90 day warranty, 14 day return policy.

hyp

got a great deal on a 5DMK2 this weekend. definitely worth checking craigslist right now since a lot of people are upgrading.

Darklord

Banned
I thought I'd ask here seeing as I have no idea. I was offered a free Nikon P500 or a similar one if I had any suggestions. The thing is, I have NO idea what other camera are similar or in that price range. Is the P500 good? Or is there a much better one that's close to it I should ask for?

mclaren777

Can anyone tell what kind of camera this is based on this shot? My only guess is a Nikon D90 based on the file name. I'd like to know for sure, though.

Fyg6g.jpg

Edit: Or this one...

Ossbx.jpg

I hate to be rude, but I'm really curious why you're asking and where those pictures care from.

VNZ

Question for Canon users, specifically those with the t2i/550D and the like. Any suggestions for a zoom macro lens under 200 USD?
To my knowledge no such lens exists. Really, if you by macro mean optics with a 1:1 reproduction scale, those never come as anything but primes.

Zutroy

Hey Gaf looking for a bit of advice.

I'm clearing out a flat (apartment) and found a old vintage camera that I'm selling on. It's a Kodal No2 cartridge hawkeye model C. The thing I'm wondering is when I google it some pictures show it as a box and others it's just the camera. As far as I can see I've only got the camera, so am I missing a bit or would the box have been a separate attachment?

Thanks for any advice, I'm clueless!

I went to the Toronto Zoo tonight for a members only event.........I must have seen over 50k dollars worth of cameras and lenses among 15 or so people

I saw a a canon EOS 1 something.........I don't know if it was an old one or a newer one but damn it looked loaded

and L lenses everywhere

Made me feel cheap with my T3I and 55-250mm IS haha

Obligatory cat photo

538381_10100786924359560_48906369_59886592_1453256123_n.jpg

Too bad I don't have any lenses that work well in low-light, the lions should have struck that pose 10 minutes earlier

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
got a great deal on a 5DMK2 this weekend. definitely worth checking craigslist right now since a lot of people are upgrading.
Reading this post got me curious so I checked my local CL and this was the first listing
May 2 - Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 mm & Canon 5D Mark II - $2800
I said :0

EM-5 just arrived! Got it in the kit with the 14-42, to replace my LX-3 as a camera to carry everywhere. It's wonderfully tiny, and seems well built on first impression. Battery charging now.

BlueTsunami

Wow, the new CA removal feature in Lightroom 4.1 is amazing! Great news for large aperture freaks.

The LoCA removal is pretty crazy. That's something that people didn't really think would be implemented in any easy way. I think it desaturates the areas somewhat but its still better than having to look at strong green and magenta color shifts in some cases.

I got this today in a lot of lenses and filters and stuff and haven't been able to figure out what exactly it is. Any info or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

Flo_Evans

hmmm

I borrowed a studio strobe setup from this guy, but I think it's broken...

Every time you trigger it, the strobes seem to stay on (like in modeling light mode but brighter) and then shortly after the internal fuse of the ballast pops out.

Through trail and error I have gotten it to work by turing it on, charging it up, turning the power off, then firing the strobes. Works fine then and doesn't trip the fuse.

Any ideas? I really hope this doesn't turn into one of those situations where you borrow something that was already broken and then the dude tries to get you to fix it. >_<

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I was looking for a thread similar to the "I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread but for cameras and this was the best I could find. Gigantic thread that I'm not up to reading all the way through so sorry for that in advance.

I'm looking to get an entry level SLR Camera. I don't know much about the world of Cameras other than push the button and take a picture. However, I'm interested in self educating via some free courses from the MIT catalog and purchasing some books. So I don't want to get a camera that is too rudimentary as I want this investment to be able to grow with me as a photographer.

A couple of the ones I've been researching and listening to reviews on are a Nikon 5100 and Cannon T3i(600d). Ideally I would like to get a kit that comes with a couple of lenses. Overall I'm hoping to stay under $1000 but to find a good deal on something of quality for even cheaper would be great.

I'm not sure what the general opinion is on used or refurbished models but I would even be willing to go that route if I need to. As long as the general consensus is good regarding less than new models.

Help me out Camera-GAF.

A couple of the ones I've been researching and listening to reviews on are a Nikon 5100 and Cannon T3i(600d).

Help me out Camera-GAF.

They're both good, go to a store and try them in your hands; one may feel better than the other, buy that one.

As for used, I would do it if the camera I wanted was available.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So continuing to look around and have my head nearly explode from information overload I think I've figured out that the only real difference between the Cannon T2i and T3i is an articulating screen and about $100.

The camera I have now a Sony DSC-H50 has an articulating screen that I forget about most times. Would I be better off going with a T2i or am I going to be kicking myself down the road for not going ahead and paying the extra hundred for the newer model?

RuGalz

I got this today in a lot of lenses and filters and stuff and haven't been able to figure out what exactly it is. Any info or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

First one looks like it might be a wide angle converter.

Second one looks like a reversible wide/tele converter. I think I have seen them usually mentioned with camcorders... But I don't really know a whole lot about them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom