• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got myself a Tamron 70-300 SP VC DI today for my Canon 600D.

I cant wait to get out and try it out.

6a0120a6399ca9970c0147e03e3dcc970b-800wi

tino

Banned
I can't get used to lightroom. I can't work it into my workflow. I use Photoshop 90% of time and dump my photos on flickr.

IMO if you are going to use Photoshop you should memorize the top 5 or top 10 most used keyboard shortcut. The post processing speed make a huge difference. If you can't do it with keyboard its probably "more enjoyable" to post process with a different program.

FWIW, I've been using Photoshop for close to twenty years now; my fingers dance around the keyboard and I still hate using it for photos compared to the more modern DAM/'photos not files' editors.

Maybe if I shot only a few frames at a time, I'd be OK with it; but I shot 170 pics on Sunday and Monday. Need to cull/pick/edit/post them.

MRORANGE

does anyone know if I can get a optical magnifier for my viewfinder for basic dslrs?

oh the 45mm nikkor is tiny, don't use my 35mm as much now :)

carHM.png

Zyzyxxz

Looks like Panasonic will finally reveal it's 17-35 and 35-100mm f/2.8 lenses.

About. Fucking. Time. They've been teasing us for almost 2 years now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just design-wise I don't like it compared to the C3. The shutter button look weirdly situated. like you index finger has to reach out more. Also something about it makes it look more P&S-ish, but that's probably just my own personal nias.

I wonder if the sensor is improved.

Just design-wise I don't like it compared to the C3. The shutter button look weirdly situated. like you index finger has to reach out more. Also something about it makes it look more P&S-ish, but that's probably just my own personal nias.

I wonder if the sensor is improved.

No, but the image processing chip/engine is.

Still, looks like a camera for P&S upgraders and not much more.

Danoss

Without knowing what you shoot, plan on shooting; your wants, needs, or what your budget is, recommending a setup is rather difficult to do.

That package at Adorama is excellent value for a beginner. I hear the Canon kit lens quality has improved since I bought my 300D way back when, so I'm not entirely sure what they're currently like. I can tell you that they will suffer in low light conditions, this will become apparent quite quickly, and it'll be frustrating.

If I could choose a starter set for myself right now, knowing what I know, I would start with this shopping cart I whipped up at Adorama It's a great starter camera with a great walk-around lens and a 16GB SD card. It costs more than the kit you're looking at and only has one lens, but it'll perform in a way that you should be satisfied with, especially starting off. That lens will last you a while too, it's on my 7D most of the time.

I have no doubt that this may not be to your liking, and that others will disagree. But with the little information I have, I think it's an excellent starting point.

giga

CR2: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/canon-to-announce-2-cameras-in-june-cr2/

Received information from various places that Canon will announce 2 new cameras in June (not including PowerShot updates).

One camera will be an EOS (650D) and the other will be a mirrorless entry.

I’m sure we’re going to start seeing more information in the coming weeks. I also expect Canon to spend a bit of marketing dollars on a mirrorless camera. Maybe we’ll see some teasers.

tino

Banned
I don't understand why there is so little talk of Canon's mirrorless camera. (I made a thread about the importance of the Canon G1X in the Canon direction in somethingawful and the thread was promptly declared the "joke thread of the subforum" by the mods. :rolleyes: I wonder why I don't go to SA anymore?)

Anyway, since Canon make a non-interchagable camera G1X with an APS sensor, that pretty much guarantee the APS sensor size of Canon mirrorless system. If both Canon and Sony (and Ricoh/Pentax) make APS mirrorless camera, Canon being the deciding factor, that pretty much will make APS the mainstream mirrorless sensor size.

And the Nikon 1 system will soon become the forgotten footnote of the camera history.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I don't understand why there is so little talk of Canon's mirrorless camera. (I made a thread about the importance of the Canon G1X in the Canon direction in somethingawful and the thread was promptly declared the "joke thread of the subforum" by the mods. :rolleyes: I wonder why I don't go to SA anymore?)

Anyway, since Canon make a non-interchagable camera G1X with an APS sensor, that pretty much guarantee the APS sensor size of Canon mirrorless system. If both Canon and Sony (and Ricoh/Pentax) make APS mirrorless camera, Canon being the deciding factor, that pretty much will make APS the mainstream mirrorless sensor size.

And the Nikon 1 system will soon become the forgotten footnote of the camera history.

not likely, canon is so far behind in the race, they will have to release their mirrorless with a fully complete line of lenses to even make a dent. Or have their mirrorless be full frame with a pretty decent set of lenses.

I get the feeling that nikon and canon don't really care about mirrorless and don't want their mirrorless offerings to eat away at their DSLRs. Which would explain why nikon went with such a small freaking sensor.

The problem is that olympus/panasonic/sony mirrorless are already eating away at canikon's dslr sales.

People aren't just buying canikon because it has a name on it anymore.

mclaren777

I don't understand why there is so little talk of Canon's mirrorless camera.

Most of us don't understand why some of you care. That's the position I find myself in and I'm a huge fan of Canon cameras. But MLCs just seem crazy whenever I look at their price tags.

What is your guy's opinion on the 85mm 1.8? I use a T1i (500D) so its a crop sensor, but I'm just looking for something that is better than my $100, 50mm 1.8. I mainly just do portrait/family shots. The 50 just isn't quite that sharp for me even dialed at 2.8 and up. So the 85 is on my radar. I'm aware I'll need to stand back more since the real mm equivalent is higher on a crop sensor. I just wanted a few opinions on the lens. Thanks!

tino

Banned
Most of us don't understand why some of you care. That's the position I find myself in and I'm a huge fan of Canon cameras. But MLCs just seem crazy whenever I look at their price tags.

Well I care because I am a gearhead. But really I don't personally care because I don't shoot Canon and I don't buy entry level body. But I think it will have a profound impact on the entry level SLRS. I think Canon will replace its EF-S offering with mirrorless lineup in the next 10(?) years.

Canon just need to throw in a few more pins in the mount and a few mores features (such as real time CR correction, distortion correction and what have you) to convince people its "better".

Danoss

I don't understand why there is so little talk of Canon's mirrorless camera.

I do. It doesn't exist yet. Speculation is pointless and I'm glad I don't have to wade through comments on something we know nothing about to get to any worthwhile content.

I'm interested to see what Canon come out with. I'd like something a little more powerful to carry around with me at all times eventually, but my S95 is doing the job quite well at the moment.

Also, I believe the response you received on SA was justified.

What is your guy's opinion on the 85mm 1.8?

The Canon 85/1.8 is an incredible portrait lens and worth every cent. It seems this was discussed briefly not too long ago.

The Canon 50/1.8 is great for the price, but I don't find sharpness to be an issue with it. I do find the bokeh to often be repulsive and distracting, but for the price it's not worth complaining about.

The G1X sensor size is almost exactly the same as 4/3 and it's in a 4/3 ratio as well.

I'm in the market for a mirrorless camera. As a travel writer, I've gotten my bag down to a very lightweight, and my camera equipment is always the heaviest stuff I'm lugging around. I love my DSLR and I know it's necessary on certain trips, but I wouldn't mind having a small, lightweight, interchangeable lens option to take on some of my journeys.

I'm interested in seeing what Canon brings to the table. I've also been eyeing up the Nikon 1 system and a couple of Panasonic options too. I was hoping that Nikon would have a second generation option soon, but haven't heard much of anything.

tino

Banned
The G1X sensor size is almost exactly the same as 4/3 and it's in a 4/3 ratio as well.

Yeah but you can't call it a "4/3" sensor. I think the consencus is that people call any sensor between 1.9X-1.5X "APS" size. Kind of like how the 1.8X Sigma DP1 is called an "APS-sensor camera".

Plus, its IQ characteristic is alot closer to a Canon 1.6X DSLR than a 4/3 camera.

Danoss

Yeah but you can't call it a "4/3" sensor. I think the consencus is that people call any sensor between 1.9X-1.5X "APS" size. Kind of like how the 1.8X Sigma DP1 is called an "APS-sensor camera".

Plus, its IQ characteristic is alot closer to a Canon 1.6X DSLR than a 4/3 camera.

I think the consensus on the G1X is that it's a waste of space and money. Here's where it sits at one of my local camera stores. Things may appear pricey, but that's Australia for you, and besides the point.

QRoKm.jpg

Why would I want to pay more for a camera where I can't change lenses, the lens included isn't that great, and an ordinary viewfinder. It doesn't have the convenience of a small size so it's not pocketable, this relegates it to being carried on a strap or in a bag. It has all the negatives of point and shoot and DSLR cameras, and none of the advantages.

I could pay less and have a perfectly capable P&S that'll fit in my pocket, or again, I could pay less and have a DSLR that can change lenses and has a decent viewfinder.

Canon makes great things, but the G1X is not one of them.

jmdajr

What's the most important factor in processing RAW files.

CPU, RAM, GPU?

My videocard just died and I don't know if it's worth getting a decent one. Was planning on getting lightroom4.

edit: To add to the above comment. PointnShoot Plus DSLR make a good combo. Bridge camera is just kind of a waste.
Granted, I had one before jumping into the DSLR world, but at this point I will probably never use it again.

VNZ

What's the most important factor in processing RAW files.

CPU, RAM, GPU?

My videocard just died and I don't know if it's worth getting a decent one. Was planning on getting lightroom4.

edit: To add to the above comment. PointnShoot Plus DSLR make a good combo. Bridge camera is just kind of a waste.
Granted, I had one before jumping into the DSLR world, but at this point I will probably never use it again.
CPU and RAM. GPU power is basically not utilized by Lightroom at all. That should probably change as the line between CPU and GPU computation distribution continues to blur. Some other software is apparently better at this already (CaptureOne uses OpenCL for example).

That's just note true. The Panasonic GH2 has a 1.78x crop in 16:9 because of the multi aspect sensor but ni one has ever said its an APS-sized sensor. Also, the IQ from the OM-D sensor is significantly better than the G1X so I'm not sure what what you're talking about on the latter.

Im thinking of selling my canon 18-55mm and 55-250mm and getting a better glass all round lens. Does anyone have any in mind?shouldnt be expensive

CPU and RAM. GPU power is basically not utilized by Lightroom at all. That should probably change as the line between CPU and GPU computation distribution continues to blur. Some other software is apparently better at this already (CaptureOne uses OpenCL for example).

Aperture ostensibly hits the GPU, though I wish it hit it harder, as well as my CPUs. I've got bandwidth to burn, baby!

shantyman

WHO DEY!?

This shows a bizarre bias against a 4/3 camera simply because of its sensor size. As already noted many are saying the EM-5's IQ is virtually indistinguishable from a typical APS-C sensor camera.

tino

Banned
I think the consensus on the G1X is that it's a waste of space and money. Here's where it sits at one of my local camera stores. Things may appear pricey, but that's Australia for you, and besides the point.

QRoKm.jpg

Why would I want to pay more for a camera where I can't change lenses, the lens included isn't that great, and an ordinary viewfinder. It doesn't have the convenience of a small size so it's not pocketable, this relegates it to being carried on a strap or in a bag. It has all the negatives of point and shoot and DSLR cameras, and none of the advantages.

I could pay less and have a perfectly capable P&S that'll fit in my pocket, or again, I could pay less and have a DSLR that can change lenses and has a decent viewfinder.

Canon makes great things, but the G1X is not one of them.

I merely bring up G1X as a point to predict that Canon's mirrorless camera is going to have very similar sensor size, I wasn't argue about the G1X. I am really not interested in getting in that argument again.

If you want to talk about the Canon mirrorless camera, fine I will talk about it. I don't want to get into another G1X argument. And it's totally normal to nerd out about future hardware design here on neogaf. It's fine if you think its pointless. Its not pointless to me.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
This shows a bizarre bias against a 4/3 camera simply because of its sensor size. As already noted many are saying the EM-5's IQ is virtually indistinguishable from a typical APS-C sensor camera.

4/3rds has been hated on for its size for, well since its inception.

tool for the job. cameras are just tools. but some people need to justify their choice of expensive tool to others.

tino

Banned

OK, what do you call the G1X-sized sensor if you don't use the word "APS". It's a common word the press can use. 4/3rd is copyrighted and it associate with a specification. You can't call G1X sensor a 4/3 sensor even if the the size is the same. The mount is not the same and you can't call it a 4/3 sensor.

I merely pointed out G1X's color palette and noice characteristic is a lot closer to a Canon DSLR (since the pxiel size and production process is the same). I didn't say anything about the IQ of 4/3.

Danoss

OK, what do you call the G1X-sized sensor if you don't use the word "APS".

It could be called by its size just like pretty much every other sensor smaller than APS-C.

APS refers loosely to the old film format 'Advanced Photo System' of which APS-H (High Definition), APS-P (Panoramic), and APS-C (Classic) existed. There was no format smaller than APS-C used, so using the term 'APS' for the G1X's sensor is not helpful in any way since the APS format actually refers to something.

The G1X has a 1.5" sensor as far as I'm aware and should be referred to as such.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I think the lack of interest in Canons mirrorless offering is due to being too little too late and there being nothing concrete (as stated). They could make a splash with a larger sensor (even 1.3x APS-H would be eyebrow raising) that utilizes the shortened flange distance to make smaller full frame lenses. Instead they'll probably release their version of the NEX line... so more of the same.

From some other enthusiast boards I post on a lot of Full Frame and shooters with higher end equipment are holding their breaths for the first company to attempt a FF mirrorless that isn't Leica.

Of course the reason no one has really done this yet beside Leica are the headaches involved with the steep angle light angle hitting digital sensors the and the issues this cause. Fuji has a organic sensor patent and proof of concept that should mitigate this issue. This is a year or two away though. But the point isn't coming off as forward thinking at all, they should be pushing the envelope but this rarely is the case for industry leaders.

Without knowing what you shoot, plan on shooting; your wants, needs, or what your budget is, recommending a setup is rather difficult to do.

That package at Adorama is excellent value for a beginner. I hear the Canon kit lens quality has improved since I bought my 300D way back when, so I'm not entirely sure what they're currently like. I can tell you that they will suffer in low light conditions, this will become apparent quite quickly, and it'll be frustrating.

If I could choose a starter set for myself right now, knowing what I know, I would start with this shopping cart I whipped up at Adorama It's a great starter camera with a great walk-around lens and a 16GB SD card. It costs more than the kit you're looking at and only has one lens, but it'll perform in a way that you should be satisfied with, especially starting off. That lens will last you a while too, it's on my 7D most of the time.

I have no doubt that this may not be to your liking, and that others will disagree. But with the little information I have, I think it's an excellent starting point.

Well, I plan on shooting pictures of my family and myself, cities, nature, etc. My budget is about $850-900. I still haven't really decided between the D5100 and the t2i, but I think I'm just gonna go with the Canon.

How exactly does it suffer in low-light conditions?

I think the lack of interest in Canons mirrorless offering is due to being too little too late and there being nothing concrete (as stated). They could make a splash with a larger sensor (even 1.3x APS-H would be eyebrow raising) that utilizes the shortened flange distance to make smaller full frame lenses. Instead they'll probably release their version of the NEX line... so more of the same.

I wanted a smaller camera to complement my 5DII for quite some time and wanted to see what Canon had to offer since I'm familiar with Canon's terminology/menu layout and have a bunch of Canon glass. I was interested in the G1X too. But from what I read, it seemed like a frustrating camera- slow AF, weak battery life, useless eye-level VF. And reading one review after another praising the E-M5 and how much of a joy it is to shoot with, I decided to wait no longer and get one. And I love it, no regrets.

Danoss

How exactly does it suffer in low-light conditions?

Looking at the 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS, the last set of numbers indicate aperture, the amount of light that is able to pass through the lens. The lower the number, the more light that can pass through when the aperture is completely open. At the telephoto end of (let's dial it back a little to) 50mm, the 18-55 has two stops less light (which equates to 1/4 of the light) than is available to the 17-50/2.8 at the same focal length.

To compensate for this, you have to either lower the shutter speed, and in low light this isn't something that often desirable, or raise the ISO. Raising the ISO increases noise, decreases usable resolution, and decreases dynamic range, and while none of these are desirable either, it's acceptable up to a certain point.

A lens that's two stops lower in comparison to the 17-50/2.8 could be the difference between shooting at ISO 800 and ISO 3200. ISO that high on a T2i is not really where you want to be, but ISO 1600 is still quite usable though. Shooting at 1600 in low light would not be uncommon, even with the 17-50/2.8, but slap the 18-55 on in the same conditions and you're looking at an ISO of 6400. The higher that number gets, the less appealing and usable your image becomes.

The severity of this applies towards the telephoto end and is less extreme towards the wide (18mm) end of the 18-55 lens. There is still a 2/3 - 1 stop (roughly 1/2 the amount of light) difference between the two lenses around that focal length, and it will eventually annoy you. Yes the 18-55 does have IS to compensate for this somewhat for lower ISO with a lower shutter speed, but if your subject is moving, that doesn't help you at all.

Since the kit I've recommended is out of your budget range, I'm sure you'll discover this soon enough (not intended as a snarky comment).

I think I've explained that or something like it for the millionth time and I don't think I want to do it again. A nice OP would be handy for the novices looking to get their feet wet and emptying their wallets into this hobby.

Zoe

What stat do you need to look at on a memory card to figure out how fast it will write? My class 4 16GB reads faster than my class 10 32GB.

(specifically thinking about getting this one)

FourDoor

As a general rule of thumb, I'd suggest staying away from >16GB cards unless you're using it primarily for video.

Get one of these instead

My personal approach – three of these

Another vote for not getting anything higher than 16GB. If you're shooting enough photos to fill a 16GB card at a single event, it makes sense to split up the photos to multiple cards "just in case." I'd rather lose half the pics from the event than ALL of the pics from the event if I was to ever have to choose from the lesser of 2 evils.

Also the new Sandisk cards were recently released so make sure that when you're picking one up that you're picking up the new 45MB/s models and not the older 30MB/s.

sh4mike

Any recommendations for an automatic mode point-and-shoot digital camera? I've spent a few hours on professional reviews that focus on advanced features that my family will never use.

We've had a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 for awhile now, which has been a good camera for us. Primary issue is that we like to pull it out and quickly shoot our 3-year old, and a lot of the shots are blurry using "Intelligent Auto" mode. So if there's a newer/better/faster camera out there that can do everything the DMC-TZ5 can do -- but better -- then we'd like to pick it up. Looking to spend less than $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom