• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wanted to pick up an Olympus E-M5 before I went on vacation next week, but it looks like I waited too long. It's sold out at most online retailers, and the few that have it in stock seem like they're charging a considerable mark-up (or sales tax :p). I guess I'll make do with my old Nikon DSLR for now... but I won't be happy about it.

Damaged

So, lost my Nex C3. :(

For the budget conscious, is an Olympus E-PL1 with the 14-42 for $300 a good deal?

My wife uses one and is very happy with it. If you want to adjust settings in a hurry it may take some getying used to as there is no scroll wheel but it can give some really nice pictures

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got an Olympus E-PM1.

Man, the ISO range feels crazy limiting compared to my NEX. :( Still, for what I do it seems to perform pretty well, plus I'm kind of excited to be open to a wider range of glass. The stock lens seems ok.

Also, I love that there's a wider range of options to tweak around.

Not a fan of the finish. Feels a bit slippery. Might buy a leatherette cover for it.

So, I'm going crazy trying to decide between the t2i and the d5100. I figured I would just ask this instead:

What's the best camera/lenses I can get for $1,000? Choices are not limited to the two cameras above. I want the best picture quality possible, and I don't care about video.

RuGalz

So, I'm going crazy trying to decide between the t2i and the d5100. I figured I would just ask this instead:

What's the best camera/lenses I can get for $1,000? Choices are not limited to the two cameras above. I want the best picture quality possible, and I don't care about video.

I'm gonna second Pentax K-5 for body at that price range, but I also like their lenses. A lot of their lens' technical scores maybe seem low, comparatively at certain sites, but a lot of those scoring are based on older camera bodies so it's better to look at user images.

Pachimari

Hmm, do you guys know what may be wrong with my Canon 60D? When I'm recording videos there's always a small red spot the same place on all the videos, I guess there's something wrong with the lense - where should I eventually clean it?

Thraktor

Hmm, do you guys know what may be wrong with my Canon 60D? When I'm recording videos there's always a small red spot the same place on all the videos, I guess there's something wrong with the lense - where should I eventually clean it?

It could be something on the sensor. Could you post up a screencap so we can see? And does it appear in photos, too?

Pachimari

It does not appear on photos. I'll record a video tomorrow and get a screencap of it.
It's really weird and I have almost not used the camera, just half a year old.

Antiwhippy

The 50mm 1.8D nikkor is really good for the price. I don't think you can autofocus on a D5100 though.

You might want to have a look at the new D3200. Should be the same price as the D5100?

I've had my Olympus OM-D E-M5 for about two weeks now...used it on a couple of trips so far, still trying to get the hang of it and the m43 format in general coming from my Nikon D7000.

Amazed at how versatile and powerful this camera can be in such a small package.

f38NQ.jpg

cbox

Sounds like a stuck pixel, my 7d has one also :(

Radec

The 50mm 1.8D nikkor is really good for the price. I don't think you can autofocus on a D5100 though.

You might want to have a look at the new D3200. Should be the same price as the D5100?

The 50 1,8G will AF. But double the price
BUT it is ridiculously sharp. Much sharper than the 1,4G.

Zoe

A friend was telling me that the 50mm on a D5100 would feel too close-up and that I should think about the 35mm instead. Thoughts?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A friend was telling me that the 50mm on a D5100 would feel too close-up and that I should think about the 35mm instead. Thoughts?

50mm on APS-C (which the D5100 is) is ideal for portraiture since the Area of View is nearly equal to that of an 85mm lens. So I would agree with your friend if you're looking for an all purpose lens.

Do you already have the D5100 with the kit zoom? If so you can try out both focal lengths to see which you prefer, before buying any prime lenses. Just set the zoom and shoot for a while without zooming in or out.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've had my Olympus OM-D E-M5 for about two weeks now...used it on a couple of trips so far, still trying to get the hang of it and the m43 format in general coming from my Nikon D7000.

Amazed at how versatile and powerful this camera can be in such a small package.

f38NQ.jpg

I don't follow the camera game much at all. Just a little bit to know what kind of things to keep an eye out for and understand the lingo. I posted here a couple weeks back, about looking into replacing my 40D with a Sony NEX of some sort. But I hadn't heard about this soon-thereafter-released OM-D. What an asbolutely GORGEOUS camera. Love it. And it's size and feature set look perfect for me, now that I'm traveling a lot more and my shots would be for personal use instead of work.

Never bothered looking into lenses for Olympus M4/3rds. What are the go-to lenses on the cheap? Are the kit lenses decent?

Zoe

Do you already have the D5100 with the kit zoom? If so you can try out both focal lengths to see which you prefer, before buying any prime lenses. Just set the zoom and shoot for a while without zooming in or out.

Yeah, with the kit lens almost all of my shots are around 55mm anyway, so that's why I was looking at the 50mm. But he has the Canon equivalent of my setup, and he's looking to get rid of his prime because of the different results at the same length.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

f38NQ.jpg
have you tried any video on it? I'm considering picking one up in the not so near future to do some video with.

I don't follow the camera game much at all. Just a little bit to know what kind of things to keep an eye out for and understand the lingo. I posted here a couple weeks back, about looking into replacing my 40D with a Sony NEX of some sort. But I hadn't heard about this soon-thereafter-released OM-D. What an asbolutely GORGEOUS camera. Love it. And it's size and feature set look perfect for me, now that I'm traveling a lot more and my shots would be for personal use instead of work.

Never bothered looking into lenses for Olympus M4/3rds. What are the go-to lenses on the cheap? Are the kit lenses decent?
Olympus' kit lenses are well regarded and generally better than most peoples kit lenses.

As for go to lenses, legacy glass if you got 'em, adapters are pretty cheap. The panasonic leica 25mm 1.4 is fantastic, i have it. The olympus 45mm 1.8 is very good from what i hear(havn't used it myself.) The 70mm 1.8 should also be fantastic, but its not out yet or just came out.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
have you tried any video on it? I'm considering picking one up in the not so near future to do some video with.

Olympus' kit lenses are well regarded and generally better than most peoples kit lenses.

As for go to lenses, legacy glass if you got 'em, adapters are pretty cheap. The panasonic leica 25mm 1.4 is fantastic, i have it. The olympus 45mm 1.8 is very good from what i hear(havn't used it myself.) The 70mm 1.8 should also be fantastic, but its not out yet or just came out.

Wonderful! Thank you - I'll take a good look into those sometime this weekend. I really like this OM-D. If lenses check out, I'll probably go for it in the next couple months. I'm just always concerned with the kit lens, as I'll have to stick with just it for a good five or six months. Glad to hear they're solid.

Is the white balance set the same on both?

I don't know, I found those pictures in this comparison.

The cameras were set to the exact same exposure settings and set to go straight to large JPEG. Here you have the ideal lighting situation: nothing moving, nice fast shutter and medium aperture. I set both cameras to 1/500th at f/9 and 200 ISO.

I noticed the difference in color when I tested them both at Best Buy, too. I kind of want the Nikon more, but that off-balanced color is really throwing me off.

Got an Olympus E-PM1.

Man, the ISO range feels crazy limiting compared to my NEX. :( Still, for what I do it seems to perform pretty well, plus I'm kind of excited to be open to a wider range of glass. The stock lens seems ok.

Also, I love that there's a wider range of options to tweak around.

Not a fan of the finish. Feels a bit slippery. Might buy a leatherette cover for it.

Should have gotten the GF3; it's cheap as hell right now, has better ISO than the e-pl1 and focuses about 1000 times faster.

Zoe

I can see it in my shots:

YnUTgl.jpg

D5100

zya2Vl.jpg

Some Canon

Haven't really played around with white balance, I always keep it on auto. My friend took that with an 18-200mm as opposed to my 18-55mm though I wouldn't think that'd make a difference.

Edit: Though these two look similar:

mKCiAl.jpg

D5100

DR0M1l.jpg

Some Canon

I don't know, I found those pictures in this comparison.

I noticed the difference in color when I tested them both at Best Buy, too. I kind of want the Nikon more, but that off-balanced color is really throwing me off.

Don't base anything on that TC review, if you look in the comments the Canon was set to Auto WB while the Nikon was set to manual white balance. Really that person should not be comparing cameras. At all.

Inside a store like BB, any Auto WB setting is going to be hard pressed to target a correct white balance.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Nikon is generally known for having a cooler color rendition (which I personally prefer). But the examples in this thread are definitely over the top. Also color temperature is determined by white balance and lens coating.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Use raw and you don't have to worry about white balance.

this. Also if they were using JPEG settings, every camera's jpeg engine is different, and most are tweakable so its no use comparing two camera's at the same scene. You can setup 10 different cameras all exactly the same and you're likely to get 10 different looking shots because of a myriad of things like WB or as Blue says even the lens coatings.

If you're outside, just set your white balance to 5600, even shadows under trees will throw the WB sensor off.

I've noticed and come to the theory that people love "olympus blue" because their white balance sensor is more accurate than other cameras. Green's seem richer to me and blues seem bluer. But even with my Oly's set to 5600, Lightroom reads it more along the lines of 5200. It's something thats easy to duplicate if you shoot raw and fix your WB in post.

Antiwhippy

Should have gotten the GF3; it's cheap as hell right now, has better ISO than the e-pl1 and focuses about 1000 times faster.

Errr, I have the EPM1, not the EPL1.

Doesn't the EPM1 have the same sensor as the GF3? The auto focus on it is hella fast though. No complaints.

Also something about the colours make it seem nicer than the C3. Dunno what.

Don't base anything on that TC review, if you look in the comments the Canon was set to Auto WB while the Nikon was set to manual white balance. Really that person should not be comparing cameras. At all.

Inside a store like BB, any Auto WB setting is going to be hard pressed to target a correct white balance.

Because they're different sensors. Different film types had different response curves too.

Shoot RAW and don't worry about it. It's probably easy enough to shoot JPEG and not worry about it, but I don't shoot JPEG.

Do these colours look off to you? Do the same search for the Canon. They'll both be fine.

Fake Edit: See also WB settings.

Use raw and you don't have to worry about white balance.

Nikon is generally known for having a cooler color rendition (which I personally prefer). But the examples in this thread are definitely over the top. Also color temperature is determined by white balance and lens coating.

this. Also if they were using JPEG settings, every camera's jpeg engine is different, and most are tweakable so its no use comparing two camera's at the same scene. You can setup 10 different cameras all exactly the same and you're likely to get 10 different looking shots because of a myriad of things like WB or as Blue says even the lens coatings.

If you're outside, just set your white balance to 5600, even shadows under trees will throw the WB sensor off.

I've noticed and come to the theory that people love "olympus blue" because their white balance sensor is more accurate than other cameras. Green's seem richer to me and blues seem bluer. But even with my Oly's set to 5600, Lightroom reads it more along the lines of 5200. It's something thats easy to duplicate if you shoot raw and fix your WB in post.

Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate the input. I'll be posting again when I finally buy one!

The lens mounted on the E-M5 in my pic is the Panasonic-Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4...kinda on the pricey side at around $500+ but a really excellent, sharp piece of glass.

But I also have the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 pancake lens as well...great 'budget' lens which you can find at around $170 on eBay. I actually find myself using this often because of the smaller size, lighter weight, and the wider-angle =)

allroundview.jpg

Haven't used video on it yet, can't help you there...but if anything there's some E-M5 video samples you can find on youtube (even a J-Rock/J-Pop music video shot entirely with a pre-production E-M5)

'Friendship' by unnatural
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ZnMSt7c_k

'Olympus OM-D E-M5 HD Video Quality and vs Fuji X-Pro 1! All handheld!' (Steve Huff Photo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-wnypCNFhk

'Olympus OM-D E-M5 - Video Shoots' (Frakatchoo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Mv6j88vPA

These look really great to me but I'm just not a 'video guy' myself...maybe when I have the time and extra cash to make a half-decent 'rig' I'll give it a try...or something =P

Errr, I have the EPM1, not the EPL1.

Doesn't the EPM1 have the same sensor as the GF3? The auto focus on it is hella fast though. No complaints.

Also something about the colours make it seem nicer than the C3. Dunno what.

This is an Olympus thing, they bump up the saturation on their M43's.

FStop7

Banned
After 10+ years of Canon DSLRs I am seriously considering jumping ship to Nikon.

I think the D800 offers a better value proposition for what I want to do.

I'm renting a 5D Mark III this weekend and then a D800 a week or two after. It should be interesting since I have literally never so much as held a Nikon DSLR before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom