• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. It's good to know that what I want in a photo can be achieved with any good camera.

Mostly! Sometimes you need a lens you don't own, or more strobes than you own, etc.

Looks interesting. I don't need the best software anyway. I have a lot to learn, so it will be fun to experiment.

GIMP is so bad; it makes experimenting not-fun. You couldn't pay me to use it. Try those RAW editors if you end up with a camera they support.

The black and white one…that'll be done in post.

Or was shot on a film camera. I heard photographers did that for a while ;)

But…my original point was really about the overall "look" of an image which this poster seems to be really concerned about. Colors, hues, etc. That's the big difference I have yet to see because that's so variable among camera manufacturers and raw processors.

I sure can't tell what SLR an image was shot without looking at the EXIF.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I agree, but I've looked at a lot of e-pl1 photos and none of them look pleasing to me.

Link to the photos? Could just be the way the photographer is shot. Maybe you just like a softer look with shallow DoF? If it's shallow DoF you want you won't be getting it with that budget.

Have you looked at photos through flickr? Their tools are pretty good at compiling pictures of a certain camera together.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/e-pl1/pool/

You can do the same for various other cameras you might want to look into.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Thank you for the recommendations! I will definitely look into business cards...that's something I didn't think of. Square too...I have an Android phone but I didn't know anything like that even existed. It's these sorts of things, the business stuff, that's helpful to me because photography has always been a hobby to me. All the other photographers I know that sell work are full-time pros.

I totally get expecting nothing...the nice thing about this show for me is all the prints are ones that my friends want for their place, so they're covering all the materials costs- even if nothing sells, I don't lose money.

The plan for display is to have everything framed, unmatted, in simple, matte black metal frames. Basically as a balance between attractive presentation and taking too much visual weight away from the photo. A friend recommended American Frame to me, so I ordered a few frames from them, and I'm impressed with the quality and price.

good, glad i could help. I've gone through all this last year as I started my own business, have to collect and pay sales tax etc. The great thing is my Belize trip last year was a tax write off :)

And I was going to recommend American frame as well. I've gotten all my frames from there.

Good luck! if you have any more questions let me know.

Prez

Link to the photos? Could just be the way the photographer is shot. Maybe you just like a softer look with shallow DoF? If it's shallow DoF you want you won't be getting it with that budget.

Have you looked at photos through flickr? Their tools are pretty good at compiling pictures of a certain camera together.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/e-pl1/pool/

You can do the same for various other cameras you might want to look into.

I have and each one of those pictures puts a slight strain on my eyes. I don't know what it is exactly.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So I've been lurking around trying to pick up on information from other users here but I figured I'd finally post something. I was wondering about white balancing. Do you guys just set it to auto and fix it in post or do you use your own custom white balance? What about the ones that your camera has such as daylight, tungsten, etc. I'm curious because I haven't really done much post work done on my photos yet so I was wondering if this is something usually worked on before or during post.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So I've been lurking around trying to pick up on information from other users here but I figured I'd finally post something. I was wondering about white balancing. Do you guys just set it to auto and fix it in post or do you use your own custom white balance? What about the ones that your camera has such as daylight, tungsten, etc. I'm curious because I haven't really done much post work done on my photos yet so I was wondering if this is something usually worked on before or during post.

are you shooting RAW? if not shoot RAW and its much easier to deal with white balance.

Personally I set mine to 5600 if i'm outside during any time of day, this includes sunrise/sunset. What the white balance sensor does on your camera is basically try to normalize the image based on the color(s) the sensor receives. This is why if you have your sensor on auto during a sunset you're more than likely going to get a image that is way to cool and completely unrepresentative of what was actually there. For indoor work, thats tougher, you have to know what kind of lights are on, I generally just take a few test shots with the camera on auto and see how it does, if it does a good job i leave it, but if it comes out bad I adjust it to what I think the lights might be. Indoors, if everyone is coming out too yellow and orangish you need to "cool" your white balance by lowering the number, if the images are too cool then you "warm" it up by raising the number. 5600 = daylight. The lower the number the "cooler" the image, the higher the number the "warmer" the image.

Its also very easy to fix in RAW though.

Jangaroo

Yeah, I've been shooting with RAW. I did some outdoor shots using the camera at 5600 but I wasn't happy with the colors so I tried messing around with some other settings. I'll try and take more pictures with it set to 5600k to see how things look. Thanks for the response.

Jangaroo

Shooting in RAW is more to allow you to have more power in post.

Do you have programs like lightroom or photoshop?

Well my camera has the option of shooting in RAW and JPG so I figured I'd just set it to both since I'm just starting out and haven't done anything intensive enough to fill up my card. No I don't have lightroom though I've had some people tell me that prefer using that over photoshop for editing.

Antiwhippy

Well lightroom is alot cheaper than photoshop, so that's one thing. :p

Photoshop for me is more than powerful enough though.

This thread is daunting - I checked the OP but it was from a hundred years ago and there is no central repository for info - just 100+ pages of what looks to be excellent information.

I'd really like to know 'where to start' in terms of looking at ENTRY level DSLR's. Something that can take decent outdoor photos of wildlife and scenery, mainly during daylight. Why? Because over labor day I'm headed on an African Safari, and then next year I'm going to St. Lucia and to China, and I figure it's time to get a decent ENTRY level DSLR.

Why do I emphasize entry? Because I've had 'point and shoot' cameras since 2002, but still lack knowledge of photography basics. I'm willing to learn, though!

So, where should I start? Any good primers out there in terms of terminology/etc? Any good current camera comparisons I can evaluate? I know the old adage is to start taking photos, and I'd like to get a camera by early July to start using it and getting comfortable w/it.

I know this might be a bad place to ask, but is there a camera thread for people who do film? (search gave me nothing)

I want to discuss with fellow DPs who use DSLR or Micro Four thirds, and I know this is a photo camera thread.

Jangaroo

I know this might be a bad place to ask, but is there a camera thread for people who do film? (search gave me nothing)

I want to discuss with fellow DPs who use DSLR or Micro Four thirds, and I know this is a photo camera thread.

There's a Film-maker thread that has people posting in it occasionally. I don't have the link on me but if I find it I'll post it.
Edit: Here you go

RuGalz

So, where should I start? Any good primers out there in terms of terminology/etc? Any good current camera comparisons I can evaluate? I know the old adage is to start taking photos, and I'd like to get a camera by early July to start using it and getting comfortable w/it.

This is a decent place to start - http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/dslr_buying_guide_01.htm

You can then read reviews of entry level DSLR from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, etc to learn more terminology as you go through them and Google terms you don't understand. It takes a while but that way you can start getting a feel for pros and cons of each company's offering as well.

Well my camera has the option of shooting in RAW and JPG

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but unless your RAW converter pays attention to how the camera is set when it took the picture, there's no point in using anything but auto white balance, because your RAW converter is going to sort it out on its own anyway (that you then get to tweak).

Photoshop for me is more than powerful enough though.

Lightroom uses the same RAW converter. Its big advantage is how much faster it is to use compared to using Photoshop and Bridge/Explorer/Finder.

I'd really like to know 'where to start' in terms of looking at ENTRY level DSLR's.

There isn't a bad one, go see what feels good in your hand. Also, you may wish to see what's available in your price range for telephoto lenses, you're going to need one for safari, so do some reading and if one make/mount has a better bang-for-buck lens for you, let that weigh your decision.

Give yourself lots of time to learn your new camera, don't get the week before your trip.

East Lake

I have and each one of those pictures puts a slight strain on my eyes. I don't know what it is exactly.
It might be flickr itself. They're scaling images on the photo page now and it's throwing a slight blur on pictures for a lot of people browsing. People were raging on their forums about it.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Question for camera-gaf..

Im getting a bit tired of carrying around my bulky Nikon D700 and im looking around for a smaller but still good camera (of course) and I still want to be able to change lenses.

as the saying goes: "The best camera is the one you always have with you"..

Now, I have been reading alot about the Olympus OM-D and it seems to be receiving some very high praises and all the samples I´ve seen so far seems quite good. It also seems to have some nice lenses...

My question is, anyone have made the transition from a full frame to a 4/3 sensor camera and how was that like?

and for those who do have the OM-D, what is your impression so far and also, what are the preferred lenses (i keep reading about the panasonic/leica 28mm + om-d is a great combo).

thanks in advance!

This thread is daunting - I checked the OP but it was from a hundred years ago and there is no central repository for info - just 100+ pages of what looks to be excellent information.

I'd really like to know 'where to start' in terms of looking at ENTRY level DSLR's. Something that can take decent outdoor photos of wildlife and scenery, mainly during daylight. Why? Because over labor day I'm headed on an African Safari, and then next year I'm going to St. Lucia and to China, and I figure it's time to get a decent ENTRY level DSLR.

Why do I emphasize entry? Because I've had 'point and shoot' cameras since 2002, but still lack knowledge of photography basics. I'm willing to learn, though!

After buying your camera, the best thing to do just do is shoot a metric shit-ton of pictures and fiddle with the settings, seeing what you can reproduce. Reading up on the basics is a wurthwhile endeavor as well. I've found these sites to be good for my needs:

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html#macro (this one has a bunch more pages of information, but I bookmarked the lenses section as I was focusing on that at the time)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ (really helpful reviews)

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm (more technical info, but a good source for basics)

http://strobist.blogspot.com/ (a nice blog with an interesting slant)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

get a Canon - either a new 1100d would be enough, or perhaps a used 500d or even 40d.

Spend your money on lenses. For a Safari, consider renting a 100-400IS. Fantastic lens and not something matched at that price on the Nikon side (which is why I recommended Canon)

ittoryu

Right, here I am again with yet another question about wide lens for Canon-GAF (I got a 60D).

I am now thinking of finally get one, but I have some doubts about which one to get. Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33834
http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33333
http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33637

Unfortunately that's the very very top price I can afford at the moment.

Thank you :)

Flo_Evans

get a Canon - either a new 1100d would be enough, or perhaps a used 500d or even 40d.

Spend your money on lenses. For a Safari, consider renting a 100-400IS. Fantastic lens and not something matched at that price on the Nikon side (which is why I recommended Canon)

Eh? The Nikon 80-400 VR is pretty much the same lens and cost roughly the same (would not be an issue renting) the main difference is the Nikon is old and will not AF on the new low end bodies.

If I was going to Africa (yes please...!) I would take the kit lens of whatever system you end up with for wide angle, sunset, around town pics, and rent a 300 or 400 prime plus an extra teleconverter. I have shot with the Nikon 80-400 (at the zoo) and used every bit of it. In real life wildlife you want 600mm++ the primes will be much better on image quality and focus speed than the super zooms. Unless you are just going to game parks where they feed the animals (in that case don't even get a huge zoom, they will be very close) but then you might as well just visit the zoo...

You should also consider a tripod for this, the VR lenses work well @400mm and fast shutter speeds but when you get to 600mm handholding is not going to be an option.

Good luck I am jelly!

He could pick up a used d90 and use the Nikon lens fine. Canon/Nikon try and match each other across the board, again it comes to body feel and layout as to which system you prefer.

I am a big fan of Nikon because of familiarity (my dad/me shot Nikon film cameras back in the day) I am used to the controls, and every lens made for Nikon SLRs* works perfectly with my new D7000.

I also have a 7d that I use for work, great camera, beats the equivalent Nikon (D300s) in some regards but loses in others.

*there are some exceptions (pre-1977 lens have to be modified with a $10 aperture ring) some lenses will not autofocus or meter on lower end bodies

Flo_Evans

He compares it to a D200 here…which is ccd, not cmos.

And yeah, this is ken idiot rockwell who refuses to use raw and thinks 8-bit jpegs can do just as well.

lol that guy is great.

He will go on and on about how 6mp is enough, he shoots his digital cameras at jpg low, and VIVID color, but if you are a real photographer you need a medium format wooden view camera...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Eh? The Nikon 80-400 VR is pretty much the same lens and cost roughly the same (would not be an issue renting) the main difference is the Nikon is old and will not AF on the new low end bodies.

ah, sorry. I didn't realise there was a more affordable long zoom, I was thinking of the constant f4. Agree on the prime then, and in that case pick whichever system you feel comfortable with - canon or nikon are both perfectly good systems to buy into, but they handle differently.

Flo_Evans

ah, sorry. I didn't realise there was a more affordable long zoom, I was thinking of the constant f4. Agree on the prime then, and in that case pick whichever system you feel comfortable with - canon or nikon are both perfectly good systems to buy into, but they handle differently.

Well there is the AF compatibility issue (fine if he gets a used D90) but will not AF on D5100/3100 series. The Nikon 80-400 VR is due for an update, the new one should be out soon but who knows when and if he will be able to rent in time if he gets the lower end body...

Another bonus with canon is the shorter mount to sensor distance means you can get adapters to use Nikon glass (no AF though) and tons of old other MF lenses where with Nikon you need expensive adapters or lose focus range... I wouldn't worry about that just starting though, just go with whatever camera feels right!

Question for camera-gaf..

Im getting a bit tired of carrying around my bulky Nikon D700 and im looking around for a smaller but still good camera (of course) and I still want to be able to change lenses.

as the saying goes: "The best camera is the one you always have with you"..

Now, I have been reading alot about the Olympus OM-D and it seems to be receiving some very high praises and all the samples I´ve seen so far seems quite good. It also seems to have some nice lenses...

My question is, anyone have made the transition from a full frame to a 4/3 sensor camera and how was that like?

and for those who do have the OM-D, what is your impression so far and also, what are the preferred lenses (i keep reading about the panasonic/leica 28mm + om-d is a great combo).

thanks in advance!

Ive never a non-film full frame camera but I'm loving my OM-D. I used the Panasonic 25mm lens initially with it, but recently sold that off on EBay and now I use the Olympus 45mm and Panasonic 14mm. They're all great lenses and incredibly sharp, but I wanted as small a kit as possible.

Ive never a non-film full frame camera but I'm loving my OM-D. I used the Panasonic 25mm lens initially with it, but recently sold that off on EBay and now I use the Olympus 45mm and Panasonic 14mm. They're all great lenses and incredibly sharp, but I wanted as small a kit as possible.

Then why not a GX1 or an E-PL3 instead of the OM-D?

SLV

Hi guys !

I am thinking of picking up a new Canon 550D in the kit with the 18-55mm IS at the beginning of July. The kit alone will cost me roughly ~ 800 $.

I am also thinking of picking up a Canon EF 50 mm F/1.8 II, 50mm which will cost about ~ 150 $ together with it, as well as a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW bag, ~130 $.

Now my budget is about 1100-1200 $, and the Kit with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, costs about 1100 ~ on its own.

Basically i got all these suggestions from a buddy of mine who works professionally as a photographer/movie maker/ and movie editor. He also owns a Mark II with various lenses etc. So i will be able to borrow some lenses from him from time to time, while i save up for either this Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L USM, 70-200 mm 840 $ or Canon EF 17-40 mm F/4.0 L USM, 17-40mm 900 $, because he said that those two are all around good lenses.

Now the question is, what should i maybe change, in the initial buy ? My finances are limited to what i posted above. And i make about 800 $ a month(lol), so it will be a while to get either of the decent lenses. The camera is mostly going to be used for everyday stuff and mostly for nature/landscapes while traveling abroad. The previous camera that has served us really well across the years is a Panasonic DMZ-50, it is showing its age slowly, and i want to make a surprise for my dad ;) So any advice would be nice, first DSLR ^^

Hi guys !

I am thinking of picking up a new Canon 550D in the kit with the 18-55mm IS at the beginning of July. The kit alone will cost me roughly ~ 800 $.

I am also thinking of picking up a Canon EF 50 mm F/1.8 II, 50mm which will cost about ~ 150 $ together with it, as well as a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW bag, ~130 $.

Now my budget is about 1100-1200 $, and the Kit with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, costs about 1100 ~ on its own.

Basically i got all these suggestions from a buddy of mine who works professionally as a photographer/movie maker/ and movie editor. He also owns a Mark II with various lenses etc. So i will be able to borrow some lenses from him from time to time, while i save up for either this Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L USM, 70-200 mm 840 $ or Canon EF 17-40 mm F/4.0 L USM, 17-40mm 900 $, because he said that those two are all around good lenses.

Now the question is, what should i maybe change, in the initial buy ? My finances are limited to what i posted above. And i make about 800 $ a month(lol), so it will be a while to get either of the decent lenses. The camera is mostly going to be used for everyday stuff and mostly for nature/landscapes while traveling abroad. The previous camera that has served us really well across the years is a Panasonic DMZ-50, it is showing its age slowly, and i want to make a surprise for my dad ;) So any advice would be nice, first DSLR ^^

If you are tight on money, I'd recommend ditching that bag. Get something cheaper for now, though that will only make a tiny dent in your budget. Also, seeing as it's your first DSLR, I would consider the T3 as a cheaper option to see if you even need a DSLR. That will give you some more wiggle room and will also let you experiment with shooting. Also, consider paying attention to Slickdeals or other deal sites to be aware of bundle deals.

SLV

If you are tight on money, I'd recommend ditching that bag. Get something cheaper for now, though that will only make a tiny dent in your budget. Also, seeing as it's your first DSLR, I would consider the T3 as a cheaper option to see if you even need a DSLR. That will give you some more wiggle room and will also let you experiment with shooting. Also, consider paying attention to Slickdeals or other deal sites to be aware of bundle deals.

I am in Latvia, which is the cesspool of Europe, + i want the warranty. I have a fairly good idea what i will get from the camera. As my friend has sent me various pictures made with a 550D, with Kit lens, and other lenses. I was just thinking if i should look at another starter lens altogether or something. I really don't want to look at anything "worse" cheaper. This is pretty much the DSLR i have set my sights at. The only thing that is worrying me is to start with a smart choice for a first second lens, for overall use. I hope that didn't sound like i didn't appreciate your advice though:)

Also i am buying this to be used for a long while, that is why i chose the 550D, as my friend said that if i am not earning money with photography, i don't need anything better than a 550 D, lenses are another thing altogether though.

I am in Latvia, which is the cesspool of Europe, + i want the warranty. I have a fairly good idea what i will get from the camera. As my friend has sent me various pictures made with a 550D, with Kit lens, and other lenses. I was just thinking if i should look at another starter lens altogether or something. I really don't want to look at anything "worse" cheaper. This is pretty much the DSLR i have set my sights at. The only thing that is worrying me is to start with a smart choice for a first second lens, for overall use. I hope that didn't sound like i didn't appreciate your advice though:)

Also i am buying this to be used for a long while, that is why i chose the 550D, as my friend said that if i am not earning money with photography, i don't need anything better than a 550 D, lenses are another thing altogether though.

Ahhhh, well then yes, that changes everything.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hi guys !

It may be heresy to say it here, but I'd hold off on the 50mm prime for now.

It's a fine lens, excellent for learning the finer arts and for sticking extension tubes on, and everybody raves about it - BUT, it's a tad too narrow for general use on a crop body like the 550D and chances are you can borrow one from your buddy or get one secondhand somewhere - the kit 18-55 will see you the first few months learning at least (provided you don't spend all your time fiddling with the zoom - decide on focal length to use and stick with it for a day, you'll learn more). Besides, Cartier-Bresson may have done great with a 50mm but he was in Paris, which has really wide pavements.

I wouldn't get the 18-135 either. Throwing money away really, as since you're aspiring to other lenses you'll end up with them all overlapping each other and never use this one again.

For "nature/landscapes" it depends a lot what sort of nature (landscapes nearly always go off to infinity somewhere, but with the nature bit it depends a lot how far away it is and how fast it its moving!).

Right now, I'd just stick with the kit 18-55, practise a LOT over the first 3-6 months, and borrow other lenses to find what suits you best.

Flo_Evans

It may be heresy to say it here, but I'd hold off on the 50mm prime for now.

It's a fine lens, excellent for learning the finer arts and for sticking extension tubes on, and everybody raves about it - BUT, it's a tad too narrow for general use on a crop body like the 550D and chances are you can borrow one from your buddy or get one secondhand somewhere - the kit 18-55 will see you the first few months learning at least (provided you don't spend all your time fiddling with the zoom - decide on focal length to use and stick with it for a day, you'll learn more). Besides, Cartier-Bresson may have done great with a 50mm but he was in Paris, which has really wide pavements.

I wouldn't get the 18-135 either. Throwing money away really, as since you're aspiring to other lenses you'll end up with them all overlapping each other and never use this one again.

For "nature/landscapes" it depends a lot what sort of nature (landscapes nearly always go off to infinity somewhere, but with the nature bit it depends a lot how far away it is and how fast it its moving!).

Right now, I'd just stick with the kit 18-55, practise a LOT over the first 3-6 months, and borrow other lenses to find what suits you best.

IAWTP.

Learn the limits of the kit lens, THEN figure out what you want/need. If you want to do nature, spend the extra on a tripod.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I personally cut my teeth with 50mm on APS-C when I first got my camera and still enjoy it immensely for general outdoor shooting since it allows me to pick up detail and isolate. But its just too narrow indoors which makes it annoying to use as a general purpose lens. 35mm on APS-C is great although I shot with 28mm.

FStop7

Banned
I am going to rent a Leica M9 to play around with. Lens recommendations? I was thinking of the 16-18-21 F4 and the 35 F2.

I was going to rent a D800E + 14-24 and 50 1.4 for this weekend's Beverly Hills Concours D'Elegance but then my car got towed and I had to throw away money to get it back. >:O

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I am going to rent a Leica M9 to play around with. Lens recommendations? I was thinking of the 16-18-21 F4 and the 35 F2.

I was going to rent a D800E + 14-24 and 50 1.4 for this weekend's Beverly Hills Concours D'Elegance but then my car got towed and I had to throw away money to get it back. >:O

Personal interest in this particular lens on my part but I think the 28/2 Summicron would be interesting to play with or the 35/1.4 Summilux.

MRORANGE

:O :O :O

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-leaked-nikon-d600-images.aspx/

edit: it's got that crappy canon lock mode button.

RPHzD.jpg
Qj5Bw.jpg
NFYin.jpg

Antiwhippy

What's the difference between full frame lenses and DX ones? Can't they be mixed and match?

Also wondering what Canon is doing now. Nikon seems to be creating major changes in their lineup while canon is doing more of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom