• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
The fuji x lens price is very reasonable, you can easily resell it with min depreciation. I would definite get both 18 and 35 for the trip. Think of the 18 as day lens and the 35 as the night lens.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
How about an EM5 with a better range of glass? >_> <_<

The Fuji cameras kind of resonate with me. Travel-friendly, emphasis on image quality above all else, and manual control dials over menus and touch screens. When I would just dick around with my S95 when traveling I would always take my time and do everything in full manual to get things exactly how I wanted, and I was immediately content when I picked up the X100 and had physical dials for everything.

I take my time with travel photography, it's a way to relax and enjoy the sights and let it all sink in, something fun to do.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
In terms of results the 18/2 + X-Pro1 and the X100 w/ its 23/2 are pretty similar from what I've seen, and I'd probably rather the 23mm X100 lens in terms of being stuck with one focal length. The 35mm 1.4 and 60mm 2.4 lenses have significantly better optics though. So if I were to go with the X-Pro1 and a one lens solution, it'd be really senseless to get the 18mm since I already have an X100, that's dropping over a grand more for a lot of drawbacks and not many gains (better sensor performance mainly).

Are the X Lenses really that much better than the one on the X100?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I should probably not sweat my gear decisions so much. I think the underlying problem is that I want to dump my older used X100, since it has an inexplicably loud shutter and could develop sticky aperture blades down the road, and I don't want to have to deal with that when I'm traveling. The real option here was either sell back my used X100 and buy a new one (the 2012 serial numbers have an updated assembly and are not vulnerable to the SAB defect), or sell my X100 and get an X-Pro1. I'd already be taking a $400+ hit replacing X100s for a fresh one and peace of mind, so the X-Pro1 was more appealing than it would be otherwise.

Oh, and, of course, with interchangeable lenses I could get a zoom down the road for wildlife photogging at national parks and so forth, but that shouldn't factor in too much, this crazy backpacking trip is what matters for gear decisions right now.

...............still undecided :|

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I should probably not sweat my gear decisions so much. I think the underlying problem is that I want to dump my older used X100, since it has an inexplicably loud shutter and could develop sticky aperture blades down the road, and I don't want to have to deal with that when I'm traveling. The real option here was either sell back my used X100 and buy a new one (the 2012 serial numbers have an updated assembly and are not vulnerable to the SAB defect), or sell my X100 and get an X-Pro1. I'd already be taking a $400+ hit replacing X100s for a fresh one and peace of mind, so the X-Pro1 was more appealing than it would be otherwise.

Oh, and, of course, with interchangeable lenses I could get a zoom down the road for wildlife photogging at national parks and so forth, but that shouldn't factor in too much, this crazy backpacking trip is what matters for gear decisions right now.

Nah, it's easy!

I'ts all about portability vs. quality and where on the scale you feel comfortable.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I still think the OM-D is a pretty good option if you don't want to spend too much money. It's around the same size as the x-pro1, the image quality and OOC jpegs are really good, and right now m4/3 has the best selection for mirrorless lenses, with a few pretty good pancakes for traveling needs. You can probably get the OM-D EM5 with a 12mm 2.0 for your landscape needs and a 25mm 1.4 panny leica for general walkabout for the same price as an x-pro-1 with one lens, and those are the premium lenses for the system. The autofocus is also apparently miles ahead of the x system.

The EM5 probably won't compete with the x-pro1 in terms of ISO flexibility (which is really good) and control dials, but the 2 of them are pretty close. Also the EM5 doesn't have the OVF of the X system, so there's that.

Well, I broke down and ordered an OM-D from Amazon today. I was trying to hold out until my birthday in August but... I just want it now. Hopefully I can cop the Panny Leica 1.4 lens for my birthday instead. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Prez

Take both cameras with you? On the off chance one gets stolen, you'd have an extra one. And you could still sell the X100 after your trip.

Zyzyxxz

Well, I broke down and ordered an OM-D from Amazon today. I was trying to hold out until my birthday in August but... I just want it now. Hopefully I can cop the Panny Leica 1.4 lens for my birthday instead. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Jealous! Can't afford to buy it at 1K. I'll wait until they hit the used market maybe closer to 6-700.

Flo_Evans

Have you seen an xpro1 in person? Saw one in the "wild" yesterday, was much bigger than I imagined.

Had to do a double take, very "stealth" camera despite the size.

Flo_Evans

Anybody have any experience with the Nikor 85mm 1.8 afs lens? Thinking I could use a good portrait lens and it would work out as 135mm on my D3100

Haven't used it, but it is supposed to be excellent. One warning though is it is a bit cramped for indoor portraits, you will be doing extreme close ups unless you have a good 10ft working distance.

Most people use the 50mm for crop camera portrait lenses.

mrkgoo

Haven't used it, but it is supposed to be excellent. One warning though is it is a bit cramped for indoor portraits, you will be doing extreme close ups unless you have a good 10ft working distance.

Most people use the 50mm for crop camera portrait lenses.

I used to have an 85mm f/1.8 on a crop and I loved it. But yeah, kinda useless indoors. A bit cramped. It was stolen by TSA, however.

I now have a 50mm f1.4. I love it too. It's not quite as good optically or build, but it's a little more versatile.

Canon EF.

ittoryu

I'm still super undecided between getting a canon 10-22 or a canon 17-40L (nope, don't have a full frame, only 60d with the usual 50mm/55-250mm and the...18-55).

Anyone with experience in one of these two lens? :)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I feel that the only thing W8 bring to the table of tablet world is the multitasking function. I find it very decent from the Verge video.

However I can't tell from the video. When you have two app windows side by side, can you quickly change app on one side? Basically the "alt+tab" function, you can do it on the W8 tablet?

wrong thread?

The shutter release on my EP2 is stuck on autofocus. I can't even get in the menus cause its constantly trying to focus. I may take it apart and see if I can fix it.

giga

I'm still super undecided between getting a canon 10-22 or a canon 17-40L (nope, don't have a full frame, only 60d with the usual 50mm/55-250mm and the...18-55).

17-40 is very boring on a crop and you won't get much value considering the price. Get the 10-22. (or the tokina 11-16, sigma 10-20)

Lumix

I have a 60D as well.
Get the 10-22mm EF-S instead of the 17-40mm L.

My response to you, a couple pages back:
Canon-GAF, I need your help.

I'm extremely confused on a couple of lens:

http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33302
http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33333

Did any of you guys have experience with these lens? Any suggestion? (I already got a 50mm and a 55-250mm, with a 60D and the unforgettable 18-55).

The answer would depend on whether you plan to make the switch to full frame any time soon.

With the 17-40L you are going to end up with a 27-64mm lens due to the 60D's 1.6x crop factor.

Since you already have the EF-S 18-55mm, I don't think you should get the 17-40L.
The EF-S 10-22mm seems to keep its value for a cropped lens, so you could probably sell it around $600 or more later.

The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 & Tokina 12-24mm f/4 are other good alternatives if you want to explore out of Canon's own line of lenses.

Flo_Evans

Cool, I'm thinking street use mainly. Like this sort of thing

pro by arndsan &#12450;&#12540;&#12531;&#12489;&#12288;&#12373;&#12435;, on Flickr

This would be fine, but you would be on the other side of the street. Could be better if you are going for candid stealth photos.

For walking around taking snaps like that though I kind of prefer the ease of a zoom, for general street a 35mm equivalent seems to be the best.

Just depends on how you want to use it. I would rent one and see if it's a good fit.

Damaged

This would be fine, but you would be on the other side of the street. Could be better if you are going for candid stealth photos.

For walking around taking snaps like that though I kind of prefer the ease of a zoom, for general street a 35mm equivalent seems to be the best.

Just depends on how you want to use it. I would rent one and see if it's a good fit.

Cool, I've got the 35mm 1.8 Nikor as my walkabout lens and was thinking this would make a nice candid portrait lens. Off to Tokyo soon so think it could be fun there

Wow, my OM-D was already delivered even though the expected delivery date was Wednesday. Thank you, based Amazon Prime.

The camera is gorgeous. Really small but so sturdy feeling. I can't wait to get off work and put it through its paces.

So I'm looking to get a new DSLR. I had to sell my Olympus E1 way back when I needed some funds, but recently I've wanted something that I can use to a) get back into photography with, b) take great hi-res images of my artwork with and c) shoot good-looking video with. Problem is convincing my wife to let me spend the money to get something. Is there some models people can point out for me quickly, like a nice bundle or something. I was looking at a Nikon D3100 on BHp...

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Wow, my OM-D was already delivered even though the expected delivery date was Wednesday. Thank you, based Amazon Prime.

The camera is gorgeous. Really small but so sturdy feeling. I can't wait to get off work and put it through its paces.

Please post comments. I am highly intrigued with this thing.

magicstop

Took the plunge this past weekend, and I've got a Canon 60D with 18-135mm lens rolling in! I plan on picking up a Canon 50mm 1.8 pretty soon as well. My partner and I are going to use this setup to have our friends do some photography at our wedding and party coming up soon. We'll have someone doing more "professional" shots at the actual ceremony (friend of the family, Masters in photography, etc.), but we thought it'd be fun to have a nice camera to do some of our own shooting.
Plus I have been HUNGERING after a DSLR. I feel like the 60D is a great start for me . . . it will give me plenty of room to grow and will offer high quality photos off the bat. I thought about something like the T3, but I just feel like I'd outgrow it really quickly.

magicstop

So I'm looking to get a new DSLR. I had to sell my Olympus E1 way back when I needed some funds, but recently I've wanted something that I can use to a) get back into photography with, b) take great hi-res images of my artwork with and c) shoot good-looking video with. Problem is convincing my wife to let me spend the money to get something. Is there some models people can point out for me quickly, like a nice bundle or something. I was looking at a Nikon D3100 on BHp...

For an affordable DSLR that will excel at video, check out the Canon T3i bundle . . . It's a DSLR that takes great pics, but has a focus on video as well, with a fully articulating screen, etc.

Canon T3i

The Nikon D5100 is pretty great, too, but I've read that it's better if you want more still photography and less video.

I got a T2i (EOS 550D) last month (or two months ago?) and have been loving it so far.

It's my first SLR, so I got it with the kit lens. Immediately bought the Sigma 70-300. Didn't like either of them (the Sigma doesn't have IS, and I wanted to take bird shots sans tripod, so it just wasn't the right decision). I returned the Sigma this week and am going to pick up the Canon 70-300mm with IS. It's a little more expensive (~400), but I understand what I want now.

But I have to say: I just picked up a used 50mm 1.8 for $90 and holy hell. This lens is so much fun! If any other newbies are in this thread looking for recommendations, I would totally recommend a nifty fifty. No zoom, "normal" lens, so it's really just fun to walk around and record things you see, as you see them, and turn them into something special.

I love it, wish I would have gotten the body without the kit lens and just gotten the 50mm instead.

Once I get the 70-300mm, I think I'm going to get something wide for architecture shots. What is a good, inexpensive wide-angle lens for Canon?

mrkgoo

Nothing too unsurprising actually. I moved from US to NZ, couldn't bring all my gear on carry on so stuffed my 'cheaper' gear in my checked. Arrival back and discover that TSA had 'inspected' my luggage, forcing the TSA approved lock in the process. Sans two photographic lenses, the ef80f/1.8 and efs60mm macro.

They left their usual 'inspected by TSA' calling card.

I have the EF 17-40 and efs 17-55. I like them as sort of general normal range lenses on my 7D. Sure the 17-55 has better IQ probably and MUCH better versatility, but I do appreciate the build quality of the 17-40. it's weather sealed, doesn't extend and is light. Sometimes I do wish I had a wider lens though. Really depends on what you want the lens for.

Zyzyxxz

Cool, I've got the 35mm 1.8 Nikor as my walkabout lens and was thinking this would make a nice candid portrait lens. Off to Tokyo soon so think it could be fun there

the 35mm is fine for walkaround wide enough for close ones and you can just drop what you need for longer shots. When I had a D90 the 35mm was the only lens I really needed, then again I don't shoot from far away.

so jelly...
LLShC.gif

mrkgoo

I got a T2i (EOS 550D) last month (or two months ago?) and have been loving it so far.

It's my first SLR, so I got it with the kit lens. Immediately bought the Sigma 70-300. Didn't like either of them (the Sigma doesn't have IS, and I wanted to take bird shots sans tripod, so it just wasn't the right decision). I returned the Sigma this week and am going to pick up the Canon 70-300mm with IS. It's a little more expensive (~400), but I understand what I want now.

But I have to say: I just picked up a used 50mm 1.8 for $90 and holy hell. This lens is so much fun! If any other newbies are in this thread looking for recommendations, I would totally recommend a nifty fifty. No zoom, "normal" lens, so it's really just fun to walk around and record things you see, as you see them, and turn them into something special.

I love it, wish I would have gotten the body without the kit lens and just gotten the 50mm instead.

Once I get the 70-300mm, I think I'm going to get something wide for architecture shots. What is a good, inexpensive wide-angle lens for Canon?

The nifty fifty is a MUST for beginners. You learn so much from it. It is, however, more a short-telephoto rather than normal lens on a crop camera.

And I wouldn't say get it instead of the kit lens. The kit lens is pretty capable if you know its limitations. And the newer versions of it are even better!

Inexpensive wide-angles? For crop you really don't get much. The most inexpensive are actually the kit lenses! 18mm is pretty wide. Perhaps not ultra wide, but for cheap and wdier than the kit you probably have to look third party, unless the efs10-22 is something you consider as inexpensive.

Dreaver

I'm most likely picking up the 50mm aka 'The Plastic Fantastic' next week. I'm really hyped for it because I use the kit lens. It's a decent starting lens but I'm really noticing the limitations of the lens. I had to record at a conference today and it was pretty dark inside the room, I had to turn up the ISO quite a lot sadly. I'm really exciting to see the 1.8 at 50mm instead of 5.6 at 55mm.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I'm most likely picking up the 50mm aka 'The Plastic Fantastic' next week. I'm really hyped for it because I use the kit lens. It's a decent starting lens but I'm really noticing the limitations of the lens. I had to record at a conference today and it was pretty dark inside the room, I had to turn up the ISO quite a lot sadly. I'm really exciting to see the 1.8 at 50mm instead of 5.6 at 55mm.

The 50mm is fantastic. There's a pretty noticeable difference between the two. Pretty much haven't bothered going back to the kit lens.

Fireye

Your choices are very limited, due to the crop factor of your camera. The only good quality, inexpensive wide-ish angle lenses I can recommend are:
Samyang 14mm f2.8 (non-autofocus, manual aperture) - Good resolution, somewhat high barrel distortion - looks like it goes for between 200-320 on the used market. Also has been rebadged as Rokinon and Bower.
Sigma 20 or 24mm f1.8 - I had the 24mm f1.8 for a while, and absolutely loved it. While this doesn't qualify as "wide angle" for crop sensors, these are the fastest "wide" lenses available for Canon EF-S systems. The 20mm is generally not as good as the 24mm, but is ok-ish on it's own. I paid ~$360 for my 24mm f1.8 a few years ago
Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 - Your best bet for high quality, reliable performance. Seems to go for between 550-650USD on the used market

Makes me want this phone. Easily best quality in the phones and even has slight edge over Pen. Pretty amazing for a phone. Only downside is the Symbian OS and the design. Nokia said that they're going to use this camera tech on their future phones, let's hope so!

I too was interested on the 808..but dayam, they announce the $700 price tag....I don't think its worth that much. I think I'll go with what people here advice me to to get..the rx100

VNZ

Thanks guys! Gonna go delve in and see what to save for...
A word of warning from my personal camera gear history... I was (and indeed still am) really into architecture shots and other vertigo-inducing views made possible with wide angle optics, so when owning a Canon 500D I went for the then quite expensive EF-S 10-22mm. I really didn't think I'd ever go for a full frame camera, since the 5D Mark II had just been released and was crazy expensive, and I thought I'd never get anything more premium then the brand new 500D. Fast forward some 3.5 years and the 5D mark II can be found for not so much more than I payed for the 500D. So I bought one, with no regrets other than the rather expensive wide angle glass that I can't use on the 5D.

On the other hand, if you really want extreme wide angle on a crop camera there's simply no getting around that lenses with those focal lengths has to be built specifically for crop. The 17-40 is a decent enough lens, but really not wide on a crop camera.

rozay

Banned
I just bought a used Tamron f/2.8 17-50, and the lens has this small mark near the center of the outer lens:
There are 2-3 little circles on the ends of the scratch. Is it the coating or the glass that was scratched, and considering its proximity to the center of the lens will this affect autofocusing (using a rebel t1i/500D) or cause any lens flares? (if so, how can I test it?)

I'm aware that it and other tiny particles probably won't show up in a picture, so I'm just wondering what kind of negative effects I should expect.

Also, windows users, what program is a good alternative to Windows Photo Viewer for quickly browsing and previewing jpegs/raws? I don't really like the way WPV seems to distort the picture when it zooms in and I would like something faster if it exists. I'm not looking for anything with an itunes style picture/folder organization, just a simple, fast image browser.

RuGalz

I'm aware that it and other tiny particles probably won't show up in a picture, so I'm just wondering what kind of negative effects I should expect.

Also, windows users, what program is a good alternative to Windows Photo Viewer for quickly browsing and previewing jpegs/raws? I don't really like the way WPV seems to distort the picture when it zooms in and I would like something faster if it exists. I'm not looking for anything with an itunes style picture/folder organization, just a simple, fast image browser.

Something minor like that should not have any real visible impact, though there is chance it would show up dust like on the image... only real test could tell...

I find the picture viewer installed by Picasa to be a really good simple, free picture viewer. Not sure if there is support for native Canon raw format; I store mine as DNG.

Edit: looks like it does http://support.google.com/picasa/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=15625

magicstop

So, forgive me if this has been talked to death elsewhere, but as a new Canon 60D owner, I'm obviously finding the price tag on older Canon FD lenses really appealing, and I'm curious if anyone has feedback on buying an FD to EOS adapter and going that route?
Is it a total pain to switch to EOS lenses and back to the FD + adapters? Do you have an adapter you'd recommend? Is this "doable" as a newbie, ok to setup, etc.? Do you think you lose IQ?
Educate me, GAF!

VNZ

So, forgive me if this has been talked to death elsewhere, but as a new Canon 60D owner, I'm obviously finding the price tag on older Canon FD lenses really appealing, and I'm curious if anyone has feedback on buying an FD to EOS adapter and going that route?
Is it a total pain to switch to EOS lenses and back to the FD + adapters? Do you have an adapter you'd recommend? Is this "doable" as a newbie, ok to setup, etc.? Do you think you lose IQ?
Educate me, GAF!
The short answer is "you can't". The reason being that the FD mount uses a shorter distance than EF between mount and film/sensor, so the lenses can't focus unless you use an adapter with extra optics in them (which really isn't worth it). There's some other options to fit certain FD lenses by changing the entire mount, which requires a lot of work obviously.

The better route is to go for Nikon and/or M42 adapters. There's a huge market of vintage optics for those mounts and the adapter is very uncomplicated with no loss of optical quality.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Educate me, GAF!

As VNZ stated, FD will not work. Look into Nikkor, Contax/Yashica, Olympus or M42/Pentax. There's a whole lotta' gems in these various groups and bargains. And I used Fotodiox adapters which were pretty sturdy aside from the C/Y one I had that had a flimsy tab. You can certainly get a cheap moderately fast 50mm from any of the groups listed.

mrkgoo

I just bought a used Tamron f/2.8 17-50, and the lens has this small mark near the center of the outer lens:

There are 2-3 little circles on the ends of the scratch. Is it the coating or the glass that was scratched, and considering its proximity to the center of the lens will this affect autofocusing (using a rebel t1i/500D) or cause any lens flares? (if so, how can I test it?)

The scratch will have little to no impact on your images or on focussing. If I understand optics correctly, an isolated part of a lense element does not contribute to an 'equivalent' part on any image circle. Every part of the lens surface contributes to every part of the image circle.

Of course, once you go beyond the FL, then sure, parts will show up in the image, but a scratch on the from element, in my opinion, will only ever show up as either a minor reduction in contrast (probably imperceptible), or lens flare, as the scratch might reflect light that ends up bouncing around the barrel - again, probably reduction in contrast (and typically if you point it into the sun, stop to down or something).

For perspective:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

This lens:
105268537.jpg

Was used to capture this image:
105268561.jpg

So I don't think one little scratch will be a big deal except for your OCD :p

That said, it's still a blemish and WILL impact resale value, so I hope you got it for a decent price.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Settled on just getting a new X100, was going to be making too many concessions to traveling light and simply and discreetly and complicating things too much if I went with an ILC like the X-Pro1 for a backpacking trip like this. With a new one I'll have peace of mind about the sticky aperture blade crap not ever happening, and I'll have an actual silent shutter instead of whatever the hell's going on with my current one, so whatever.

I actually just updated to the new firmware, 1.30, on my current X100, and it is such a huge difference in focus speed and accuracy compared to when I bought it. It actually locks on very well in low light now and doesn't feel sluggish anymore. It's by no means an OM-D in terms of speed, but past the point of feeling like a drawback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom