• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicstop

I'm so pumped: I decided to get both the Tamron 20-40mm 2.7/3.5 AND the SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4
After researching the Tamron more, I kept seeing "prime killer" and noted that a lot of people got rid of 20's, 24's, and 28's in favor of this do-it-all wide zoom. Evidently it is ultra sharp, and aside from some glare problems, is an amazing lens.
The Takumar is a no brainer. It plays favorite to thousands of photographers, it would seem. Most reviews and users say it has better IQ than the Canon L glass (1.2), but simply lacks the autofocus. I will enjoy using this manual lens, I think, and look forward to the amazing bokeh, clarity, and color that this lens produces. I found a mint copy of it, so I figure that's an investment that will likely only grow sweeter with time.
I should get them both on Friday, just in time for a weekend camping trip! Also ordered the Case Logic SLRC-205 sling so I can comfortably hike and yet readily access my gear.

Thanks!

Is there an adapter for Canon EF lens to go on the OM-D? I have a 24mm f/1.4 II that I don't want to sell, I love this lens.

Yes.

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS EF Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter

I have the Nikon adapter by the same company and its fine. No aperture control or AF, but it's $20 so I don't care that much. Other GAFers can probably provide better explanations of any technical shortcomings.

I believe there are more expensive options that allow aperture control on the adapter, but I haven't really investigated as I've been too busy using my new camera and lenses.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
All Evilore's talk of Fuji products and another thread I'm reading got me looking at X-Pro 1 pics again and the quality from the 35/1.4 is so.damn.good.

tino

Banned
^^ The best are evening photos. Day time photos you don't notice the amazing dynamic range.

Does any one know a P&S that supports stop motion time lapse mode (takes photo every 1 or 2 second and compress them into an avi)?

I recently came across some stop motion video I made with my Canon G9 on my old youtube channel. I really miss the function! I found it a much better way to record the feeling of a place or an era than video.

I looked up G9 used price is still around 180. That's crazy for a 5 year old P&S. Anyone know a less popular used model that also support this function?

Hammer24

Banned
^^ The best are evening photos. Day time photos you don't notice the amazing dynamic range.

Does any one know a P&S that supports stop motion mode (takes photo every 1 or 2 second and compress them into an avi)?

I recently came across some stop motion video I made with my Canon G9 on my old youtube channel. I really miss the function! I found it a much better way to record the feeling of a place or an era than video.

I looked up G9 used price is still around 180. That's crazy for a 5 year old P&S. Anyone know a less popular used model that also support this function?

IIRC the old GoPro Hero did this, and should be available cheap now.

fart

Savant
All Evilore's talk of Fuji products and another thread I'm reading got me looking at X-Pro 1 pics again and the quality from the 35/1.4 is so.damn.good.
unless you like the bleeding edge, stick with a traditional system for a couple more years. i just went to beijing with some labmates, and the one with the x100 would swear every 15 minutes because his camera had basically crashed.

meanwhile my tank (a d700 + 35/1.4g is basically all i own now) just keeps on keeping on

mrkgoo

I know a couple other people here have the Canon 7d:

Press Release
London, UK, 28 June 2012 – Canon today enhances the EOS 7D with firmware v2, adding a range of new features for enthusiasts looking to push the limits of their photography. Building on the camera’s high speed, advanced handling and creative versatility, the new firmware provides photographers with a host of new benefits including higher maximum RAW burst rate, in-camera editing functions, user-definable Auto ISO and support for Canon’s latest GPS Receiver, GP-E2.

Originally launched in 2009, the EOS 7D was carefully developed based on the feedback from thousands of photographers from across the globe. Offering the perfect combination of outstanding image quality and exceptional versatility across a range of photography styles, even today it is still considered to be one of the best APS-C cameras on the market. When developing the new firmware Canon followed a similar approach, gaining direct user feedback to bring the EOS 7D up to date with enhanced performance and a greater range of shooting capabilities and creative functionality.

Enhanced RAW performance
With an 18 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, Dual “DIGIC 4″ processors and an extended maximum ISO of 12,800, the EOS 7D offers fast, high-quality shooting at speeds of up to 8 frames per second. Thanks to the new firmware which adds powerful memory management algorithms taken from Canon’s flagship EOS-1 series, photographers will now be able to enjoy greater flexibility in continuous shooting, with the maximum RAW buffer now extended to a new high of 25 RAW files or 130 JPEGs. Combining with the camera’s high 18MP resolution and 14-bit image processing, this will allow photographers to capture the decisive moment with rich detailed images.

In-camera image editing and rating
A range of newly-added editing functions also gives photographers more control over how images look, allowing post-production to begin in-camera. Photographers can now process their RAW files and correct artefacts such as peripheral illumination, distortion and chromatic aberration. Additionally, adjustments to white balance, sharpness and Picture Style, as well as a host of other parameters, can now also be made immediately after shooting, with the results saved as new JPEG files. JPEGs can also be instantly resized, without the need for a PC or Mac.

Photographers can now easily filter large volumes of pictures on their way back from a shoot using an image rating facility. Image rating data is stored in each file’s metadata, which can be read by a range of editing applications, including Canon Digital Photo Professional, and other industry software such as Apple Aperture, Adobe Lightroom and Bridge.

Extra control in stills and movies
The EOS 7D’s new firmware provides extended versatility across both stills and movies. Newly-added control of Auto ISO enables photographers to limit the maximum ISO speed to any point within the native ISO 400-6,400 range. Offering greater control over exposure, this will enable photographers to customise the maximum automatic ISO speed to suit their personal preferences, or to adjust parameters in different situations to meet specific creative goals.

Improved audio functionality in movie mode also provides aspiring videographers with greater control while shooting videos. Users can complement the camera’s Full HD (1920x1080p) movie footage with 16-bit digital stereo sound, sampled at broadcastquality 48KHz, and new manual control of audio levels allows users to choose from 64 sound levels. A digital wind-cut filter also reduces noise made by movement of air around the microphone, ensuring sound is clear and free from peripheral interference.

Track your travels with GPS compatibility
Firmware v2 also provides added capacity for users to track the location of their images with new support for the GPS Receiver GP-E2 – Canon’s latest high-performance GPS unit. The GP-E2 is attached securely to the hotshoe, and connected to the camera via a cable, making it easy for EOS 7D photographers to geo-tag photos with longitude, latitude and altitude data as well as the direction in which the shot was taken – adding the information to the EXIF file of the image1. A GPS Logger tracks movements by downloading GPS data at regular intervals, and compatibility with Google Maps means users can easily view their route in Canon’s free Map Utility software.

Firmware v2 will roll out across the region from August 2012.

Canon EOS 7D firmware v2 – new features:

Improved maximum burst for RAW images (up to 25)
In-camera RAW image editing
In-camera Image Rating
In-camera JPEG resizing
Maximum Auto ISO setting (ISO 400-6400)
Manual audio level adjustment in movie recording
GPS compatibility
File name customisation
Time zone settings
Faster scrolling of magnified images
Quick control screen during playback

Wooo!

TO be honest, nothing super major for me, but free firmware is fun!

Flo_Evans

Wooo!

kind of meh but I like the manual audio control. Sometimes I want to do something quick and just use a hotshoe mic, very frustrating to not know if it is even recording... will there be a levels meter for audio?

Menelaus

Banned
I'm am so, so, so very close to listing all my Canon equipment for sale so I can move to 4/3. Really hurts the heart thinking about losing that 135L, though.

RuGalz

Granted, smaller number of audience means potentially there are fewer complaints for Pentax. But don't write it off just because it's not as popular!

33b83e550a0d02b701cea0965165e70e.jpg
source: http://www.jdpower.com/content/pres...le-lens-reflex-camera-online-buyer-report.htm

FStop7

Banned

Wooo!

for me - limiting the Auto ISO range, awesome. RAW image buffer increased from 15 to 25 frames _really_ awesome.

On another note. The 1DX is beginning to ship to customers. I can't afford to buy one right now, but I do have my spot reserved to rent one for a big event I am shooting in August. This camera is a monster, I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

mrkgoo

I'm am so, so, so very close to listing all my Canon equipment for sale so I can move to 4/3. Really hurts the heart thinking about losing that 135L, though.

I'd say wait until at least end of July. Rumours abound of a mirrorless Canon entry. I mean, it's probably unlikely it'll be EF-compatible....but you never know... At least it'd be prudent to see how competitive it would be.

ajf009

I've been looking at the nikon d1500 and I'm wondering what others think about it? Relatively new to higher end camera's so if anyone has some advice It'd be much appreciated.. Is there another camera I could get that would be noticeably better around the same price?

Thanks in advance

Menelaus

Banned
I'd say wait until at least end of July. Rumours abound of a mirrorless Canon entry. I mean, it's probably unlikely it'll be EF-compatible....but you never know... At least it'd be prudent to see how competitive it would be.

First-gen Canon anything gives me the freaking willies, man.

equap

Banned
Yes.

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon EOS EF Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter

I have the Nikon adapter by the same company and its fine. No aperture control or AF, but it's $20 so I don't care that much. Other GAFers can probably provide better explanations of any technical shortcomings.

I believe there are more expensive options that allow aperture control on the adapter, but I haven't really investigated as I've been too busy using my new camera and lenses.
thanks! at that price i don't expect anything other than just an adapter. But what's with that one picture of the damage lens?!

But now that DPreview did a review for the X-Pro1 and WOW!!! the image quality is amazing even at 6400.

thanks! at that price i don't expect anything other than just an adapter. But what's with that one picture of the damage lens?!

Honestly, I'm not sure what the story is with the damaged lens. It can take a second to figure out how the release works the first time you use it, but it kind of looks like that person forced the lens on the adapter or tried to pry it off and broke the release.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've been looking at the nikon d1500 and I'm wondering what others think about it? Relatively new to higher end camera's so if anyone has some advice It'd be much appreciated.. Is there another camera I could get that would be noticeably better around the same price?

Thanks in advance

I was wondering about this too... Found a great deal on the d5100 with both the 18-55 and the 55-200. I know they're not top of the line lenses but I get to have fun with a tele.

Flo_Evans

I was wondering about this too... Found a great deal on the d5100 with both the 18-55 and the 55-200. I know they're not top of the line lenses but I get to have fun with a tele.

I'd hold off on the D5100. They just came out with the 3200, the 5200 is sure to follow soon.

You will either be able to get the 5100 cheaper, or get the latest greatest entry level camera. Whatever floats your boat. The people trying to sell them now are trying to get max value before the new model comes out.

mrkgoo

First-gen Canon anything gives me the freaking willies, man.

For sure! First gen ANYTHING!

But unless you are the type to not mind selling and debuting on a whim, just might be cool to see what they have planned...

That said, some of canon's first gen style seem ok. The S90 was first of its kind, and was great! canon G1X? Looks good on paper I suppose. And I have a canon 7D, which was their first go at a super APSC, and it,s a GREAT camera.

Flo_Evans

After only a year?

I think so. Unless they decide to phase it out, and update the 7000.

I think 3 (maybe 4 if they make a d300 successor) DX cameras are too many. 3200 might be their new entry level and the 7100 advanced DX. they seem to like having 3 though. Entry/mid/advanced.

For FX they have

D600: (rumored but pretty solid)
D800/E: mid range
D4: pro

My prediction for DX

D3200 entry level
D???? Midrange
D7100 or D400: pro DX

The 7100 could be a midrange DX, or "pro", or they could drop the pro DX camera all together. They seem to like having a camera at every price point. If the D600 really does come out at $1500, I could see them dropping a DX camera at that price. But maybe shoehorning another in there between the $1200 D7000 and $600 D3200? IDK just rambling. :p

Ember128

Would anybody like to talk me out of buying one of these?
I'm getting one soon.

The first one that came into the store I work at ended up selling in less than two hours. The guy came back the next day, so excited that I talked him out of buying a 50mm F1.8 that he said it was "******* Amazing!" before he realized three older ladies were in the store and had to lower his voice a bit.

Its sharpness is more comparable to something like the 24-70L, from the images I've seen and the MTF charts.

Truth101

Banned
I'm looking to get get a DSLR.

I'd like to spend around $400 for the base. I don't mind pr-owned so eBay is an option. I'd like the best bang for my buck, I don't mind going a bit over $400.

What would GAF recommend?

I like photographing

-Lights
-Rain

The most!

Also could you recommend some lenses to go with the model you choose

I'm looking to get get a DSLR.

I'd like to spend around $400 for the base. I don't mind pr-owned so eBay is an option. I'd like the best bang for my buck, I don't mind going a bit over $400.

What would GAF recommend?

I like photographing

-Lights
-Rain

The most!

Also could you recommend some lenses to go with the model you choose

What kind of lights? All photography needs light.

If you want to take pictures in the rain you're going to need a weather-sealed body and I don't think there are any for $400. I think Pentax just announced a new weather-sealed base SLR.

tino

Banned

If you want to take pictures in the rain you're going to need a weather-sealed body and I don't think there are any for $400. I think Pentax just announced a new weather-sealed base SLR.

Pentax's old ones. K7-D K6-D and there is another mid range body thats also weatherproof.

Truth101

Banned
what is "the base"?

if you're going DSLR, you need to expand that budget a bit, or reconsider your goals.

The body of course! I am willing to pay more just a rough guideline. Lenses and such I would consider outside of the initial price of the camera.

I like shooting colored lights in the dark, don't know why but it is strangely captivating, haha.

Yes I saw the new Pentax, everything about it looks incredibly good and truthfully the price isn't so bad.

Though it would probably be worth it in the long-run.

Pentax's old ones. K7-D K6-D and there is another mid range body thats also weatherproof.

I was looking at the new Pentax, but I don't know If I will be able to spend that much, or maybe it is the though of spending that much that is discerning.

I will check out those Pentax bodies you recommended.

Chris R

What is my best option in the sub $200 range? Any point in spending that much or should I just get a cheaper one since right now DSLR is out of my price range.

RuGalz

Yes I saw the new Pentax, everything about it looks incredibly good and truthfully the price isn't so bad.

Though it would probably be worth it in the long-run.

If you plan to shoot in the rain a lot, one thing to consider is that the K30 has better weather sealing than any previous models. And don't forget to get a weather sealed lens with it.

Ember128

You can get rainsleeves for your Camera if you're shooting out in the rain. I think it's like $20 for two, and you can use each a few times. I know of professionals that shoot using Flagship cameras with weather sealed lenses, but still use those.

Falch

So, I've got a couple of questions concerning managing and editing photo's. I bought a Nex-5 last year but have been mainly using it for holidays pics and only shooting in jpeg. For my latest trip, I decided I wanted to get started with RAW too, so I shot everything in RAW+jpeg.

I'm wondering how each of your workflows look. I'm tempted to get started with Lightroom, but I'm wondering what to do with the jpeg's. If I shoot RAW only, I'd have to manually edit all pics and I'm not sure I'd want that.

Would another option be to manage my jpegs in Photo Mechanic and my RAWs in Lightroom?

Basically I'm just not sure how to start. Also, I have a few thousand pics from previous holidays (only shot in jpeg) and I'm not sure how useful Lightroom is for managing jpegs.

Basically, there are so many useful programs out there that I'm not sure which I should pick and stick with.

I hope this is the right thread, but I don't tread into OT too often. Please be gentle. :)

My wife is looking for a new camera. We currently have a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS and though she likes how "pro" and "fancy" it looks, she also doesn't like how bulky it is. The biggest problem, however, is that she never gets good results with indoor photos of our son. When he was slow and immobile, photos came easier and sharper, but now that he moves a lot, they often turn out blurry unless we use the flash, which kinda washes out color and so on.

So, what she's looking for is is a camera that will do a very good job of automatically (i.e., using camera's internal auto-settings) taking good (read: noticeably better than the SX20 IS) photos of moving subjects in low light, indoor conditions. If the auto-settings is a no-go, there should at least be a "saved custom settings" feature so she can hit a button or rotate a switch to quickly get into her preferred shooting mode to capture opportune baby moments.

So I guess I'm basically looking for a low-light/high-ISO consumer camera that can handle moving targets reasonably well and get us into those settings automatically or ASAP from turn-on. Our general price range would ideally not exceed about $700, but if there's a <$500 camera that will offer similar results, I'd be all about it. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

I hope this is the right thread, but I don't tread into OT too often. Please be gentle. :)

My wife is looking for a new camera. We currently have a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS and though she likes how "pro" and "fancy" it looks, she also doesn't like how bulky it is. The biggest problem, however, is that she never gets good results with indoor photos of our son. When he was slow and immobile, photos came easier and sharper, but now that he moves a lot, they often turn out blurry unless we use the flash, which kinda washes out color and so on.

So, what she's looking for is is a camera that will do a very good job of automatically (i.e., using camera's internal auto-settings) taking good (read: noticeably better than the SX20 IS) photos of moving subjects in low light, indoor conditions. If the auto-settings is a no-go, there should at least be a "saved custom settings" feature so she can hit a button or rotate a switch to quickly get into her preferred shooting mode to capture opportune baby moments.

So I guess I'm basically looking for a low-light/high-ISO consumer camera that can handle moving targets reasonably well and get us into those settings automatically or ASAP from turn-on. Our general price range would ideally not exceed about $700, but if there's a <$500 camera that will offer similar results, I'd be all about it. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Fuji X10

Looks classy and has a bigger sensor than the Canon so quality should improve greatly for low light shots.

Zoe

So, I've got a couple of questions concerning managing and editing photo's. I bought a Nex-5 last year but have been mainly using it for holidays pics and only shooting in jpeg. For my latest trip, I decided I wanted to get started with RAW too, so I shot everything in RAW+jpeg.

I'm wondering how each of your workflows look. I'm tempted to get started with Lightroom, but I'm wondering what to do with the jpeg's. If I shoot RAW only, I'd have to manually edit all pics and I'm not sure I'd want that.

Would another option be to manage my jpegs in Photo Mechanic and my RAWs in Lightroom?

Basically I'm just not sure how to start. Also, I have a few thousand pics from previous holidays (only shot in jpeg) and I'm not sure how useful Lightroom is for managing jpegs.

Basically, there are so many useful programs out there that I'm not sure which I should pick and stick with.

Lightroom will treat your jpegs and raws as one image. I haven't gotten into editing raws yet, but I shoot everything in dual mode and have been using Lightroom to organize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom