• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
but will i need some kind of adapter to mount to my takumars?

I could not find much information about your lenses, but somewhere on it there should be place that says the diameter of the front threads. It would look something like this:

thread-size2.png

My 50mm takumar is 49mm in diameter.
so ill need to get 49mm nd filters or first get a 49mm step up ring to mount to a 58mm nd filter.
Is that how its done?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
$1200 lightly-used canon 24-70mm version 1 vs. $1300 Tamron 24-70mm brand new with VC (Vibration compensation or Image stabilization).

Tamron has been getting universal praise, but the canon is an all-time favorite. Which direction would you guys go? Dat Red ring sharpness or Dat VC?

What happened to Nikon?

centracore

I have an Olympus E-PL1 (body only) that I don't really use any more since I got my Nikon D7000 and I've already sold my Micro Four Thirds lenses on eBay.. does anyone want the E-PL1 for free? Canada or United States only, shipping overseas is hella expensive.

Lanbeast

I have an Olympus E-PL1 (body only) that I don't really use any more since I got my Nikon D7000 and I've already sold my Micro Four Thirds lenses on eBay.. does anyone want the E-PL1 for free? Canada or United States only, shipping overseas is hella expensive.

Shipment #1: Shipped on September 25, 2012
1 of: Olympus PEN E-PL1 12.3MP Live MOS Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens (Black) [Electronics]
Condition: New
Sold by: ZM Distribution INC (seller profile)
$259.00

I literally just put in an order for that camera within the past week. Getting married next Saturday so I wanted to have it in time for my honeymoon.

fake edit: I would totally snag it for my brother who is way more serious about photography, if you'd be willing. I could even help cover some of the shipping if necessary. He lives in Philadelphia.

$1200 lightly-used canon 24-70mm version 1 vs. $1300 Tamron 24-70mm brand new with VC (Vibration compensation or Image stabilization).

Tamron has been getting universal praise, but the canon is an all-time favorite. Which direction would you guys go? Dat Red ring sharpness or Dat VC?

I have the Canon 24-70mm. IQ is great, but it's big and heavy. Especially heavy.

Would love to test the Tamron.

dmshaposv

I have the Canon 24-70mm. IQ is great, but it's big and heavy. Especially heavy.

Would love to test the Tamron.

Yeah heavyness is the thing bugging me but the tamron is not exactly light either (around 830g).

I want the tamron vc lens, its better for video, but my old 17-50mm apsc tamron always looked so soft for video. The vc really brought down the IQ in the old lens - i hope it isnt the case with this new one.

What happened to Nikon?

Nothing. Still deciding between getting a d600 today or saving and getting 5d III in dec.

Just estimating how much all my costs would be (lens + body + other gear).

Yes I sold my canon ef-s lenses, because I want to start saving and getting full frame compatiable lenses - regardless of the brand.

I'll take it for free, been meaning to get into M4/3, thanks :)

mclaren777

Is there free software I could use to edit photos? All I want is cheap, decent prints. I guess I'll just use Gimp or Picasa if there's no better option. I only need brightness/contrast, rotation and cropping anyway.

Wow, that is basic. Gimp and Picasa are both great choices. If you wanted something that was non-free, I'd suggest any version of Photoshop Elements.

Parallacs

My 50mm takumar is 49mm in diameter.
so ill need to get 49mm nd filters or first get a 49mm step up ring to mount to a 58mm nd filter.
Is that how its done?

Yay! you got a takumar. Yeah that 49mm thread is the worst thing about them and I forgot to warn you. I would get either 52mm or 58mm filters and get a:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Step-...ngs_Holders&hash=item3ccaf8e990#ht_2775wt_925

Luckily I have a really nice 52mm B+W polarizer that I use if I need ND.

Edit: don't buy a 49mm filter because you will never find another lens to use it. Since this is a standard lens, you won't see the filter edges in photos (especially with a T3i), even with a step up ring. Doing 52 or 58 should be fine.

Sagitario

Yay! you got a takumar. Yeah that 49mm thread is the worst thing about them and I forgot to warn you. I would get either 52mm or 58mm filters and get a:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Step-...ngs_Holders&hash=item3ccaf8e990#ht_2775wt_925

Luckily I have a really nice 52mm B+W polarizer that I use if I need ND.

Edit: don't buy a 49mm filter because you will never find another lens to use it. Since this is a standard lens, you won't see the filter edges in photos (especially with a T3i), even with a step up ring. Doing 52 or 58 should be fine.

yup. loving the takumar.
thanks a lot bro.

now looking for a prime 35mm with wide aperture.
which one would you go for?

MC MIR 24 H / N 2/35

Nikon Nikkor 35mm F2 Fast Non-AI

Pentax SMC TAKUMAR 35mm F2

PENTAX M42 Super-Takumar F:2/35mm

btw i bought:
Hoya 58mm HMC ND8 Multi-Coated Neutral Density Filter

Adorama Step-Up Adapter Ring 49mm Lens to 58mm Filter Size

Parallacs

Okay, for 35mm it gets tricky.

for:
see the thin black tab (pictures 5 and 6) on the inside of the lens mount? I'm fairly sure it will hit your mirror. Half of my Nikon lenses have it and can't even be mounted on my 5D.

for:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25115270503...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_801wt_1172
I don't like Russian lenses although some people swear by them. This one looks like it has the same mounting issue as the nikon.

I know nothing about the 35mm takumars. They don't really have the same reputation or following that the 50mm have. They could be as good though.

There are 35mm 1.4 lenses out there. I would look into if you can find an affordable one.

Okay, for 35mm it gets tricky.

for:
see the thin black tab (pictures 5 and 6) on the inside of the lens mount? I'm fairly sure it will hit your mirror. Half of my Nikon lenses have it and can't even be mounted on my 5D.

for:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25115270503...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_801wt_1172
I don't like Russian lenses although some people swear by them. This one looks like it has the same mounting issue as the nikon.

I know nothing about the 35mm takumars. They don't really have the same reputation or following that the 50mm have. They could be as good though.

There are 35mm 1.4 lenses out there. I would look into if you can find an affordable one.
cool thanks. so basically non-ai lenses are a no no then.
it doesn't have to be 35mm. im just looking for a wider lens than a normal 50mm with wide aperture.

edit:
how about this one?
Vivitar Olympus OM 35mm 1.9

Parallacs

cool thanks. so basically non-ai lenses are a no no then.
it doesn't have to be 35mm. im just looking for a wider lens than a normal 50mm with wide aperture.

Not necessarily. Some of my AI lenses also have the problem and some of my non-ais lenses do not. When I get home I will take a look. Just make sure if you get a nikon lens, it doesn't have that black tab-shroud thing.

It totally defeats the purpose of your manual focus lenses for cost-savings idea, but:

Canon's 24mm 1.4 is pretty good:
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/02813/Canon-EF-24mm-f1.4L-II-USM-price.html

Also, while I'm dreaming:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/733913-REG/Zeiss_1871764_35mm_F_1_4_Distagon_T.html

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Bought my wife a D3200 for her birthday. She is a beginner. Good choice? Reviews seemed good and the guide mode seems useful for her.

Not necessarily. Some of my AI lenses also have the problem and some of my non-ais lenses do not. When I get home I will take a look. Just make sure if you get a nikon lens, it doesn't have that black tab-shroud thing.

It totally defeats the purpose of your manual focus lenses for cost-savings idea, but:

Canon's 24mm 1.4 is pretty good:
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/02813/Canon-EF-24mm-f1.4L-II-USM-price.html

Also, while I'm dreaming:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/733913-REG/Zeiss_1871764_35mm_F_1_4_Distagon_T.html

28mm/2.8 lens are cheaper. You can find a third party MF 28mm (Tokina, Sigma whatever) for $40-80.
cool, i'll check these out.
thanks!
and you'll need to show me that black tab shroud when you get the chance

Just got my D7000 and holy shit what an upgrade it is from the D40. I won't be able to go out and shoot with it until tomorrow, but I've fooled around a bit and the iso performance is just awesome. I did some tests between the D7000 and D40 at iso 3200 (highest the D40 would go) and the difference is as night and day. I had pictures uploaded but I realized my credit card was fairly visible in one of them so I took them down, might upload new ones later. So far I'm really happy with this camera.

I posted them last page. A = Olympus B = Panasonic C = Nikon 1 D = Leica? E = Samsung
I hope you're not a statistics major, though. You can't average market share rates across different size populations like you did. Japan's camera market is significantly larger than a lot of those other countries combined and m43 has double the market share of NEX there.

tino

Banned
I hope you're not a statistics major, though. You can't average market share rates across different size populations like you did. Japan's camera market is significantly larger than a lot of those other countries combined and m43 has double the market share of NEX there.

What are you talking about?

I posted them last page. A = Olympus B = Panasonic C = Nikon 1 D = Leica? E = Samsung

Surely D = Fuji, Leica having 9% market share (even in Germany) would be ridiculous at €10k per camera. If it is Leica then well done to them...

Anyway, here is a full sized RX1 picture at ISO 6400, out of camera JPEG, from Sony. Open the image in a new tab.

tino

Banned
Surely D = Fuji, Leica having 9% market share (even in Germany) would be ridiculous at €10k per camera. If it is Leica then well done to them...

X Pro-1 was launched March this year. Unless Sony count X100 as a "CSC camera" then I agree with you Fuji would have done better than Leica or Rioch in fiscal yer 2011.

VVV yeah I thought so.

X Pro-1 was launched March this year. Unless Sony count X100 as a "CSC camera" then I agree with you Fuji would have done better than Leica or Rioch in fiscal yer 2011.

VVV yeah I thought so.

They probably count it as it has a large sensor and is in the "X" range.

tino

Banned
They probably count it as it has a large sensor and is in the "X" range.

Sony probably was counting the X100, since it was competing with the mirrorless cameras and catering to the same buyers. Leica OTHO targets completely different demographic.

Think about it, 9% was a very good number for a $1000 camera. Sony had at least 3 mirrorless bodies on sale last year and Panasonic had a few more. Not to mention Olympic and Nikon didn't even get 9% with multiple mirrorless cameras.

I think Evilore will do very well in Germany. :D

Sony probably was counting the X100, since it was competing with the mirrorless cameras and catering to the same buyers. Leica OTHO targets completely different demographic.

Think about it, 9% was a very good number for a $1000 camera. Sony had at least 3 mirrorless bodies on sale last year and Panasonic had a few more. Not to mention Olympic and Nikon didn't even get 9% with multiple mirrorless cameras.

I think Evilore will do very well in Germany. :D

The X100 is a truly great camera, that's why it did (and does) so well. Fuji struck the perfect balance of size, controls, IQ and versatility for APS-C. It's the same reason that the RX100 is going great guns and the RX1 is going to do the same. On the other side Nikon have utterly failed to capture that balance with the 1 series and that is why they are failing, forget the rubbish from their PR manager saying that they are number one in Europe, I sent an email to a contact at GfK and he assured me that this was not the case, it is neck and neck between Sony and Panasonic across the continent though he couldn't give me the figures since we don't have a subscription to them.

Sagitario

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread for this, but it is the closest one that appeared in the search results.

What's your opinion on these cameras?

Sony Alpha SLT-A37:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SLT-A37K-.../dp/B00836H2CC
I cant get it for ~$444, + 12 months of credit, no interest.

The other option is the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-.../dp/B005MTMFHU
Exactly the same deal with the price: ~$444, 12 months, no interest.

Anyone? The offer/sale ends tomorrow.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
anyone have any suggestions on cheap lighting <$200 for shooting video?

basically looking for more soft fill lights. im not really sure what the exact name of those kinds of lights so its been hard trying to find anything.

Wow, can't believe I missed this :/

tino

Banned
It really bother me that today Hong Kong has a limited promotional deal of Fuji XE-1 + 35mm/1.4 for $9999 HKD ($1290). I would have prefer that over the $1400 kit lens deal.

Parallacs

I took a look at my Nikon lenses and tried them all out on my 5D and XTi. Good news: they all work on the cropped sensor! I'm not sure if the XTi and T3i have the same mirror size but it shouldn't be too different.

However, there's a big warning: those of you out there with full frame sensors will not even be able to mount some of these lenses, even before they hit the mirror. The metal tabs on some of them push the bottom area of the 5D, by where the lens sensor bar is. Always a good idea to refer to http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

Here is a picture I took of my collection and a summary of my points. The arrows show the problem tabs. For the T3i, I'm pretty sure you are fine, but beware. My list isn't complete or necessarily reflective of all models at that focal length.

Kqs4g.jpg

tino

Banned
tino, you might want to hold onto that NEX stuff a little while longer:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/28/3422068/sony-olympus-investment

Hehe I can't get rip of my NEX3, I cracked the back LCD screen. A cautionary tale, you guys may want to consider a thick glass protector. Like the one I have now.

As far as Sony goes, I don't believe Sony needs lens designer. They had gotten lot of them from Minolta. I believe its a marketing problem.

There are at least 3 different markets thats asking 3 different types of lens. First its the entry level, first time SLR/mirrorless buyers who want convenience high ratio zoom, cost efficient lens. Secondly you have business shooters who need expensive, imposing lens of the highest quality because their clients pay for the best stuff. Lastly the one in the middle are the enthusiast shooters who want compact, high quality lens. They mostly want primes because they don't need to get the job done fast.

There may be more niches but I point out the 3 main ones to make my point. These three markets really have different priorities, and different priories encourage different lens designs. Some brands and mounts cater to all three market. Pentax used to skip the pro market and only concentrate on the entry and enthusiast markets. At one time they had more complete lineup of APSC lens than anybody else.

Fuji's X system, as far as I can tell, completely ignore the first two markets and only design lens for the enthusiast market. And this happen to be my market. Sony's NEX system, is still trying to design lens for all three markets. See this is a market approach problem, Olympus can't help them.

Hehe I can't get rip of my NEX3, I cracked the back LCD screen. A cautionary tale, you guys may want to consider a thick glass protector. Like the one I have now.

As far as Sony goes, I don't believe Sony needs lens designer. They had gotten lot of them from Minolta. I believe its a marketing problem.

There are at least 3 different markets thats asking 3 different types of lens. First its the entry level, first time SLR/mirrorless buyers who want convenience high ratio zoom, cost efficient lens. Secondly you have business shooters who need expensive, imposing lens of the highest quality because their clients pay for the best stuff. Lastly the one in the middle are the enthusiast shooters who want compact, high quality lens. They mostly want primes because they don't need to get the job done fast.

There may be more niches but I point out the 3 main ones to make my point. These three markets really have different priorities, and different priories encourage different lens designs. Some brands and mounts cater to all three market. Pentax used to skip the pro market and only concentrate on the entry and enthusiast markets. At one time they had more complete lineup of APSC lens than anybody else.

Fuji's X system, as far as I can tell, completely ignore the first two markets and only design lens for the enthusiast market. And this happen to be my market. Sony's NEX system, is still trying to design lens for all three markets. See this is a market approach problem, Olympus can't help them.

You should look at the NEX-6. With Zuiko lenses it will be unquestionably the best MILC on the market. I have confirmed with sources at Sony that they have reworked the JPEG engine for the RX1 as well, so hopefully that is one of the biggest issues with Sony fixed (poor out of the camera JPEGs).

As for enthusiasts, I think the 10-18mm f4, 35mm f1.8 50mm f1.8 and 24mm f1.8 CZ, are as good as they come, but they need a decent 85mm f2 and 135mm f2.8 if they want to challenge Fuji properly. I know a constant aperture standard zoom is in the works, but it might be quite large (take a look at the A-Mount 16-50 f2.8). The 2013/14 lens roadmap for E-Mount should leak in January some time so that might give us some insight.

Oh, something you might find interesting, on the day that I went to test the new products one of the engineers was saying they have been working on a new Bayer filter, which could be similar to one Fuji have been using.

Do OM mounts or f mounts play nice with cropped eos (t3i)?
Im looking at a vivitar 28mm f2 on ebay. But there's an f mount and om mount for that 28mm.
Which should I get?

Posted this in the other thread as well:

So the rumours have already started. I got one just now.

Olympus are supposedly going to make an E-Mount camera with the same 24MP sensor as in the NEX-7. This will allow them to port over their m43 lenses to E-Mount without riling up investors that they are damaging their own ecosystem in favour of their new sugar daddy's one. It is going to be part of the OMD range. The source also said that an official m43 to E-Mount adapter is in the works, with electronic aperture controls and full AF.

If this is true then it pretty much kills m43 as a serious system as the adapter alone will give E-Mount users access to Leica lenses from Panasonic and obviously the excellent Zuiko lenses. Not only that but with Oly making E-Mount as well as Hasselblad it makes E-Mount look more like a consortium than just a Sony lens mount.

Parallacs

you're awesome for doing that parallacs.
as you were saying, dont get a lens with a metal tab?
so that nikkor 35mm f2 is ok on my t3i?

According to my tests with an Xti (a really old digital rebel), all of the nikon lenses, even the ones with the huge tabs, will fit on a cropped sensor camera: such as a T3i or 7D.

The 35mm f/2 would probably be a safe choice though since it also fits on my 5D and has hardly any outcrop.

In terms of OM, some people like the Zuikos. Never tried one. And vivitar is just a so-so brand. No reason to chose them when you can mount so many other lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom