• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

Does anyone know the general wisdom about photographing with the sun in frame? I mean, in terms of the possibility of damaging your sensor? I took a few shots the past couple of weeks with some strong sun in frame on my G10 that turned out alright, and the camera seems to have had no ill effects, but when I get my first DSLR I obviously wouldn't want to do something to ruin it.

srst

samusx said:
I picked up the new Panasonic Lumix GF-1 camera with 14-45 lens last friday. I have been having a fun time with it.

I'll post some shots to give you an idea of the camera.

PICTURES

All shots are straight out of the camera.

Did you use a tripod? I can never get decent pics handheld.

Does anyone here have the Canon Rebel T1i? I am thinking of picking one up next week. I have a Canon point and shoot right now, planning on upgrading to a DSLR. I'm gonna start off with the kit lens, and once I get the hang of it and really catch the photography bug, will buy a couple more lenses.

Any recommendations/impressions/alternatives for a good beginner DSLR? I'd prefer one which does HD Video.

mrkgoo

teiresias said:
Does anyone know the general wisdom about photographing with the sun in frame? I mean, in terms of the possibility of damaging your sensor? I took a few shots the past couple of weeks with some strong sun in frame on my G10 that turned out alright, and the camera seems to have had no ill effects, but when I get my first DSLR I obviously wouldn't want to do something to ruin it.

I've shot into the sun many times. I'm unsure if it does damage or not - certainly a lens is like holding your sensor up in fro of a magnifying glass. You probably didn't do any damage, but I wouldn't do it regularly. Kind of depends on the shutter speed - chicness are it was pretty quick

srst said:
Did you use a tripod? I can never get decent pics handheld.
With good technique and Image stabilisation, you can do wonders without a tripod - not miracles, but wonders.

iamcool388 said:
Does anyone here have the Canon Rebel T1i? I am thinking of picking one up next week. I have a Canon point and shoot right now, planning on upgrading to a DSLR. I'm gonna start off with the kit lens, and once I get the hang of it and really catch the photography bug, will buy a couple more lenses.

Any recommendations/impressions/alternatives for a good beginner DSLR? I'd prefer one which does HD Video.

ANy of the entry level dSLRs are fine. Canon and Nikon have the most range in lenses.

If you must have HD video, I think the T1i is the only one that does in the Canon range. ISn't it at 15fps, though? I wouldn't make HD video a high priority unless you plan on doing a lot of video, in which case entry level dSLRs shouldn't be on your radar.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
teiresias said:
I've been doing it a lot and I've noticed no ill effects so far. It might be different for an SLR since the sensor is only exposed to the light at the moment of exposure.

As long as your not doing multiple seconds long exposures into the sun (and why would anyone do that??) you should be okay.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I have been looking around many Canon forums, apparently the the price of all Canon Lenses will be have a price raise of 10% starting from Oct 1st.

Looks like Canon wants to play catch up with Nikon lens prices, without the awesome Nikon lens warranty, Oh joy >_<

mrkgoo

Hcoregamer00 said:
I have been looking around many Canon forums, apparently the the price of all Canon Lenses will be have a price raise of 10% starting from Oct 1st.

Looks like Canon wants to play catch up with Nikon lens prices, without the awesome Nikon lens warranty, Oh joy >_<

Dammit!

mrkgoo said:
ANy of the entry level dSLRs are fine. Canon and Nikon have the most range in lenses.

If you must have HD video, I think the T1i is the only one that does in the Canon range. ISn't it at 15fps, though? I wouldn't make HD video a high priority unless you plan on doing a lot of video, in which case entry level dSLRs shouldn't be on your radar.

Canon T1i has 1080p@20fps and 720p@30fps. I do plan on taking lots of video (mostly short clips under 30-60 seconds), but dont want too many gadgets. Unless I can get a dedicated HD video camera AND a dedicated DSLR camera for the same price as a single camera, I want to own only a single piece of equipment. Now if the dedicated gadgets do a better job singly than the T1i, then I will buy both of them instead of just the T1i.

What do you guys use for your (casual) video recording needs?

mrkgoo

iamcool388 said:
Canon T1i has 1080p@20fps and 720p@30fps. I do plan on taking lots of video (mostly short clips under 30-60 seconds), but dont want too many gadgets. Unless I can get a dedicated HD video camera AND a dedicated DSLR camera for the same price as a single camera, I want to own only a single piece of equipment. Now if the dedicated gadgets do a better job singly than the T1i, then I will buy both of them instead of just the T1i.

What do you guys use for your (casual) video recording needs?

Ah, that's better than I thought. That sounds pretty good.

As for video, I basically don't. Looking into the 7D, however.

Hcoregamer00

mrkgoo said:

Yeah, it was pretty disconcerting to watch prices of lenses increase 30% the past two months, so having it increase another 10% across the board is pretty irritating. It puts the prices of Canon lenses much closer to Nikon, but Nikon also has a 5 year warranty on lenses compared to Canon's 1 year warranty.

Price increases wouldn't be a bad thing if the warranty also got a boost, along with decreasing the quality "variation" that happens on all lens lines (a person could get a gem of a lens, while another could buy a bad copy of the same one), but we are just getting the price raise with no benefits attached.

Thank God I am not buying lenses anytime soon.

mrkgoo

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, it was pretty disconcerting to watch prices of lenses increase 30% the past two months, so having it increase another 10% across the board is pretty irritating. It puts the prices of Canon lenses much closer to Nikon, but Nikon also has a 5 year warranty on lenses compared to Canon's 1 year warranty.

Price increases wouldn't be a bad thing if the warranty also got a boost, along with decreasing the quality "variation" that happens on all lens lines (a person could get a gem of a lens, while another could buy a bad copy of the same one), but we are just getting the price raise with no benefits attached.

It makes me wonder if getting a 7D with the 28-135 would be a good idea - for $200 you're getting a $400 lens. Could be an easy sale on. I would probably not use it, however.

Hcoregamer00

mrkgoo said:
It makes me wonder if getting a 7D with the 28-135 would be a good idea - for $200 you're getting a $400 lens. Could be an easy sale on. I would probably not use it, however.

I upgraded from the XSi kit lens to the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 and I can say with confidence that it is a SUPERB lens. Around 80% of the situations I am in it performs wonderfully. The only problem it has in my eyes is that it is not effective is low lighting.

That problem could be easily alleviated with the EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 50mm f/1.4 and EF 85mm 1.8. I am personally leaning towards the EF85mm 1.8 just because it doesn't have the AF problems of the EF 50mm f/1.4 and the build problems of the "nifty fifty" f/1.8. Even if the prices increases, the prices for the mid range lenses are not too bad.

mrkgoo

Hcoregamer00 said:
I upgraded from the XSi kit lens to the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 and I can say with confidence that it is a SUPERB lens. Around 80% of the situations I am in it performs wonderfully. The only problem it has in my eyes is that it is not effective is low lighting.

That problem could be easily alleviated with the EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 50mm f/1.4 and EF 85mm 1.8. I am personally leaning towards the EF85mm 1.8 just because it doesn't have the AF problems of the EF 50mm f/1.4 and the build problems of the "nifty fifty" f/1.8. Even if the prices increases, the prices for the mid range lenses are not too bad.

I happen to love the FOV of the 85 mm on a crop. It's a little long to work indoors for anything much more than portraiture, but out doors it's a lot of working space for all sorts of things. You can achieve a much thinner DOF if need be too. For portrait type stuff, the 50 can do similar things, but you have to be obviously in their face with it, even on a crop.

The 85 can also be used as a medium tele. I think it's slightly more versatile. Of course this depends on what you prefer to shoot. The only weakness of the 85 mm f/1.8 is the poor purple fringing control at wide apertures.

For the record, I have both the 50mm f/1.8 and the 85 mm f/1.8.

85 mmf/1.8:

EF-85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0, 1/2000s, iso400

EF-85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0, 1/400s, iso400

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hcoregamer00 said:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1037&message=33144103&changemode=1

This thread?

Price increases suck...

mrkgoo

mrklaw said:
You have a crop camera, right? You ever looked into a 35mm?
Not really. Why?

For the record I have a 17-55 f/2.8 is which kind of covers me for that area.

Yeah I have a 40d.

Edit: wait did you mean a 35mm frame like a 5d?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mrkgoo said:
Not really. Why?

For the record I have a 17-55 f/2.8 is which kind of covers me for that area.

Yeah I have a 40d.

Edit: wait did you mean a 35mm frame like a 5d?

I meant focal length. Just that for many, 50mm is a 'natural' focal length, and the 'holy trinity' of primes is often said to be 50/85/135 (for full frame). The crop equivalents would be 35/50/85, and you have two of those.

mrkgoo

mrklaw said:
I meant focal length. Just that for many, 50mm is a 'natural' focal length, and the 'holy trinity' of primes is often said to be 50/85/135 (for full frame). The crop equivalents would be 35/50/85, and you have two of those.
Ah yes. To be frank, I don't use my 50mm much. It was first foray into wide aperture primes and I learnt a lot from it. But my 17-55 has me mostly covered in that area also. The 17-55 is a better lowlight shooter too. Focuses better and the is helps.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm eying the Cosina Voigtlander "Nokton" 58mm f/1.4 : D~~~~~

*Fart knows what I'm talkin' bout

Manual Focus lens but most of the pictures I've posted lately have been from me using my 50/1.4 in Manual Focus.

Also, that GF1 Panasonic is amazing. People are using Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander Rangefinder lenses with that camera. Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1 is omg.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'm a total camera/photography noob and am looking for some advice. I've narrowed my choices down to either the D5000 or the D90. I'm going body-only for whichever one I get with the 35mm f/1.8 to start. My question: In practical terms, how much of an upgrade is the D90 over the D5000? It's ~$200, which isn't a deal-breaker by any means, but I don't want to spend it unless there is a good reason to do so.

mrkgoo

What have I done?!

The hype on the PotN forums got to me... when I walked into a store today, and they had them....

x8tbl.jpg

*sobs*
tears of joy and shock

Zyzyxxz

DjangoReinhardt said:
I'm a total camera/photography noob and am looking for some advice. I've narrowed my choices down to either the D5000 or the D90. I'm going body-only for whichever one I get with the 35mm f/1.8 to start. My question: In practical terms, how much of an upgrade is the D90 over the D5000? It's ~$200, which isn't a deal-breaker by any means, but I don't want to spend it unless there is a good reason to do so.

I would have gone with the D90 over the D5000 just so I could use lenses without autofocus motors (pre AF-S) but if you only plan to use newer lenses then I think the D5000 will suit you well

nitewulf

7D would have been perfect if it was full frame, but then the 5D mk2 would have been redundant...ah, the world of business...

ghostmind

I guess this is a good place to ask?

I have a Canon SX10IS - its great , but I'm sick of lugging it around. I want a smaller slimline camera that can take decent pics and record HD video in a format that my PS3 will recognize natively without transcoding. I would prefer SD card media, but will accept Memory Stick if I have to.

All that being said, what slim camera is my best bet?

Munin

So I'm getting my first DSLR soon and I'll probably head out on Saturday to get the 7D. Can anyone recommend a good, versatile lens that also suits filming. I've been looking at the Tamron 17-50. Is it good? How does it compare to the twice as expensive Canon EF-S 17-55?

thirty

Banned
ghostmind said:
I guess this is a good place to ask?

I have a Canon SX10IS - its great , but I'm sick of lugging it around. I want a smaller slimline camera that can take decent pics and record HD video in a format that my PS3 will recognize natively without transcoding. I would prefer SD card media, but will accept Memory Stick if I have to.

All that being said, what slim camera is my best bet?
for what you want, the sony wx1

Zyzyxxz

Munin said:
So I'm getting my first DSLR soon and I'll probably head out on Saturday to get the 7D. Can anyone recommend a good, versatile lens that also suits filming. I've been looking at the Tamron 17-50. Is it good? How does it compare to the twice as expensive Canon EF-S 17-55?

for a first time DSLR that seems like overkill.

Why not go witha Canon T1i instead?

mrkgoo

If people care:

I posted this up at PotN as well:

So while I didn't preorder, I did go to a camera store today, and lo and behold, they had a 7D. Impulse buy!

Anyway, for those that are interested (probably everyone), my semi-scientific iso test.

These are images viewed at 100% in iPhoto, and then screen grabbed. These are resized screen grabs, but click through to my flickr to see the 100% screen grab (the images are 1.8 MB each, so I'm not posting them here).

Conditions:

Hand held, Manual exposure, EF-S 17-55, f/2.8, AWB, Jpeg:

Again, RESIZED IMAGES -> CLICK TO 100%!

7D High iso ( Noise reduction disabled):
Top: iso400,800,1600
Bottom: iso3200, 6400, 12800

--------------------------------

7D noise reduction (in camera, iso1600):
Top: NR disabled, low NR
Bottom: standard NR, strong NR

---------------------------------

7D vs 40D high iso (NR disabled):
Top: 40D, iso 400, 800, 1600, 3200(H)
Bottom: 7D, iso 400, 800, 1600, 3200

-------------------------------

Munin

You may have a point, though 20/30fps are not good enough for me, and the 7D isn't that much more expensive.

Having said that, I never got the "if you're just getting into X hobby, better buy entry level model Y first instead of top-of-the-line model Z" argument. As long as I have the budget and know that it's something I won't give up after 2 weeks, why not?

It's like telling a guitar beginner to buy a worse-sounding guitar just because he's a beginner - granted, the pricier model isn't going to make him an awesome guitarist out of nowhere, but anyone can tell that it sounds better and is easier to play, no matter your skill level. Same deal with cameras. Or anything, really...

BlueTsunami

Oh wow! Congrats, mrkgoo! I'll echo XMonkey in asking how you find the Viewfinder over the 40D. That's one of the most important aspects for me and the 7D's Viewfinder is supposed to be fantastic.

Zyzyxxz

Munin said:
You may have a point, though 20/30fps are not good enough for me, and the 7D isn't that much more expensive.

Having said that, I never got the "if you're just getting into X hobby, better buy entry level model Y first instead of top-of-the-line model Z" argument. As long as I have the budget and know that it's something I won't give up after 2 weeks, why not?

It's like telling a guitar beginner to buy a worse-sounding guitar just because he's a beginner - granted, the pricier model isn't going to make him an awesome guitarist out of nowhere, but anyone can tell that it sounds better and is easier to play, no matter your skill level. Same deal with cameras. Or anything, really...

The T1i isn't entry-level though its more mid and the money you save could go to buying some really nice lenses which matter more.

I don't really see the alure of recording videos on DSLR, its not gonna replace the function of a camcorder yet.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Munin said:

I agree actually.
I wish I would have gone straight to an e-30 with a lens, as opposed to e-510 with two kit lenses.

captive said:
I agree actually.
I wish I would have gone straight to an e-30 with a lens, as opposed to e-510 with two kit lenses.

Yep. I've had my 5D2, which was my first DSLR, for several months now, and I don't regret spending the money on it.

mrkgoo

Munin said:

I think if you have the cash, there's no harm in getting something with more room to go into. So in that sense, I agree.

That said, camera technology moves so rapidly, you can never keep up. I equate it to hard drives -the best time to buy is actually when you need it. You'll upgrade eventually, so no need to get that top-of-the-line 500GB SSD right now when 250GB will do you for the next year or so.

There's no need to get high-end features when something like the T1i gives you more than enough to sit on for years and years (seriously, this thing'll last you for at least 3 years, even if you try everything ever photography related -just ask Blue Tsunami or Aidan!). By the time you feel you need to upgrade, the next latest and greatest will be blowing your mind, and THAT is the best time to get that.

I realise the idea is to save money by delaying upgrading time, but if you're the type of person to upgrade every few years anyway, chicness are two years down the track you'll want the 7d mkII or whatever, but it will be harder to justify the leap.

Blue Tsunami, X Monkey (sorry missed your post earlier): Thanks! I consider this to be perhaps the perfect APS-C as well (haha, until the next one)! One reason I bought this was because of the 100% viewfinder. It's pretty close to 100%, so that's awesome. Obviously, I haven't had time to take this for a spin in the real world yet, so can't report too much. It seems about as good as the 40D, but more coverage. I notice some slight distortion in the corners (probably a challenge of making 100%). I'm going to guess that it's one of those things you don't appreciate the difference too much until you try going back.

Some other asides:

I have a feeling I'm going to break the cover for the HDMI/USB ports - it's a bit more plasticky as opposed to rubbery, and they encourage you to pull it all the way out and rotate it while it's only held on my a pretty thin cylindrical piece.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous. oh my god.

Changing AF modes is finicky, requiring pressing a button to change AF, then another button to change the mode (single, multi, or all), and then using the multicontroller to change the zone or single point.

The new LCD overlay is great. Seems accurate and feels high-tech. The built-in level is really good too.

Loads of customisation. Not sure if the 50D was like this, but you can change the DOF preview button to various things - I have mine set to quick-change between single shot vs AI servo when held down.

Video is solid. It's going to be tricky to learn, which is good - more to grow into! I'm going to need a new hard drive.... 330MB per minute! I wish there were a 720p 30fps. it's only 1080 at 24(25)/30 or 720 at 60(50).

I am thinking iso 3200 is equiv to 40D at iso1600. I used to use 1600 in a pinch, so this is great news. Man, one extra stop indoors is so great.

What I do like about this is there's less fear about buying lenses/bodies and having to worry about correct calibration, as the built-in compensator for each lens you put on will be useful to those who are anal about it.

The new location (or rather return to old like in 350D) of the on/off switch at the mode dial is throwing me off, but I'll learn that eventually. I dislike being able to turn it off while holding my camera with one hand which is not possible now (it's now on the left).

Futureman

Anyone into flash?

I'm building up my arsenal. I currently have an Alien Bee 800 and a Nikon SB28.

I'm about to buy some RadioPopper wireless triggers (The JrX Studio system). This will give me remote flash control and remote power control (works natively w/ the Alien Bee, have to make a special wire for wireless power control of the SB28).

BlueTsunami

Forsete said:
My first Zeiss. :D

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm really jonesing for some of the wider Zeiss primes. The ZF 35mm f/2 is amazing.

But can't wait to see some images from that lens, Foresete!

mrkgoo

Congrats in the lens, forsete. Is that camera a full frame? I really like the 24-x wide aperture zooms, but on a crop I think they are slightly not wide enough.

Joe

Can anyone recommend me the best lens for a Nikon in the $250-$300 range with built-in AF motor and VR?

I'm thinking about selling my kit lens and 55-200mm zoom lens for a really nice prime or wide angle lens if possible.

There is also a website that shows user photos of specific lenses but I can't recall it if anyone knows what I'm talking about?

mrkgoo

Joe said:
Can anyone recommend me the best lens for a Nikon in the $250-$300 range with built-in AF motor and VR?

I'm thinking about selling my kit lens and 55-200mm zoom lens for a really nice prime or wide angle lens if possible.

There is also a website that shows user photos of specific lenses but I can't recall it if anyone knows what I'm talking about?

This is my go to place for lens info:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview

Haven't been there in a while since eI haven't been in the market for a lens (and I kind of know what I want now anyway).

I like this place too:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

BUt that's Canon only.

So I've been thinking about getting into the world of DSLR cameras!

And I think I'm going to buy the Pentax K-x. It just seems to do everything I want for not so much!

Alucrid

Banned
hectorse said:
So I've been thinking about getting into the world of DSLR cameras!

And I think I'm going to buy the Pentax K-x. It just seems to do everything I want for not so much!

Same. I tried out my friends Canon EOS rebel and loved it, now I have to get a good camera. Anything else in that line that's less expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom