• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Alright Camera-GAF, I'm not much of a photographer but it's something that I've been really looking to get into. With that said I don't really know what makes a great camera aside from the megapixels having something to do with it.

I've been looking at this one but is it worth the money? Much thanks.

vitaminwateryum said:
Alright Camera-GAF, I'm not much of a photographer but it's something that I've been really looking to get into. With that said I don't really know what makes a great camera aside from the megapixels having something to do with it.

Do you plan to shoot in the rain? Can you live with limited Live View?

It's what I see as the biggest pros/cons and ultimately your decision if it's worth your money.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Instigator said:
Do you plan to shoot in the rain? Can you live with limited Live View?

It's what I see as the biggest pros/cons and ultimately your decision if it's worth your money.

Not really and yes. I guess I'll purchase this thing fairly soon then.

golem

I would stick to Nikon or Canon for dSLR to be frank.. the expansive used marketplace and equipment coverage for the two biggest brands is one of the most important selling points to me.

Zyzyxxz

Zyzyxxz said:
so I'm looking to expand my lineup of lenses beyond my kit lens for my D40.

I'm starting to want to try new things with my camera and capturing different subject matter.

I'm looking at is the Sigma 70-300 F/4-5.6 with built in autofocus motor, is it worth going cheap on a telephoto lens? I don't think I will be using it much but I've come across situations where I wished I had a telephoto lens.

quoting myself for new page, just seeing for personal experiences with this lens, the sample shots look pretty good but then most sample shots look good to me.

Grimlock

vitaminwateryum said:

It does do the job it's supposed to do, but it's aimed at experienced photographers. If you're just starting out (and ya wanna shoot Pentax), you'll want the K-M or K200D.

For that matter, ya have to think about what ya wanna take pictures of. What ya want your camera to be capable of. I consider myself a general photog with a strong tilt towards portraits, so my K-20 has worked well for me in that regard, but if I was trying to shoot sports with it, the slow autofocus would have me tearing my hair out, which would be rectified by using the Pentax K-7, for that camera has a far faster (and more accurate) AF than my K-20. That's the sort of thing ya have to consider. As far as lens availability, both Pentax (K-mount) & Nikon (F-mount) have decades worth of lenses that'll work with their cameras-Canon has changed lens mounts over the years, so some of their older lenses won't work with their newer cameras directly.

I'd personally suggest figuring out what ya want to do, and what your photographic limitations are (fer instance, do your hands shake a lot? Mine do, so I know I need some form of image stabilization built into the camera, so that helped lead my choices), then start researching what brands would be the best fit. It's rather easy to fall into the "Canon or Nikon" thing, but frankly other brands exist for a reason-there's more than one correct answer to a given question in this sort of thing, and the correct answer for one person isn't necessarily the correct answer for another.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
mrklaw said:
I don't get Canon's line up anymore. Nikon is nice and clean now. Pro camera, cut-down prosumer FF version, prosumer crop version (all marketed as being pro features wtihout the price). All nice and clear.

Canon is

pro cameras (1D). FF prosumer (5DII) but its not a cut down 1D, then 7D which is crop but not a crop 5D its faster, different AF etc. Then the 50D which doesn't know if its prosumer or not anymore, the naming is wrong etc.

Maybe they'll move the triple-digits to entry level, the double digits (60D) into rich hobbyist cameras, and try and flesh out the single digit cameras to the prosumer ones.

I'll be intersted in the AF and metering especially - will it give good tracking of eg birds against a background or planes, using the colour to help identify 'subjects' and are the AF points close enough together to hand off to each other when tracking a movign object. Thats a big weakness of the 50D IMO

More MP, but they've trimmed the ISO a bit - only 6400 instead of 25600 so maybe they can handle it. And maybe they'll improve some of the sRaw binning so we'll get better 9 or 4.5mp images?

Frankly I'm so confused by Canon's new cameras these days I'll stick with my 50D until I hear detailed impressions of this.

To me, Canon's lineup is very clear.

Full Frame
Professional - Canon 1Ds mk III
Prosumer - Canon 5D mk II

Speed Demon

Professional - Canon 1D mk III
Prosumer - Canon 7D
Lower-end Prosumer - Canon xxD

Entry-level Consumer SLR
Canon 1Ti
Canon XSi
Canon XS

-Rogue5-

Canon rumours has an (awfully) translated version of the Chinese press release for the 7D and, from a video standpoint, it looks like it'll have most of everything that I want -- 1080p24, 720p60, manual controls, and stereo audio in-put... Crop factor of *only* 1.45x instead of 1.6x.

With a crop factor do wider lenses share the same properties as their ff equivalents, or are they just zoomed in wides? E.g. a 35mm at 1.45x would have a similar frame size as a ~50mm lense, but would it maintain the same DOF properties as the 35mm lense (slightly deeper than a normal lense) or would it be more like a 50mm lense. (Am I even making sense, here?)

OH, another question, on the last page, a few of you were concerned that Canon was simply rebadging their APS-C sensors to 18mp (instead of 12-15mp), what is problem with this and how would it affect things like low-light and noise?

Hcoregamer00

-Rogue5- said:
Canon rumours has an (awfully) translated version of the Chinese press release for the 7D and, from a video standpoint, it looks like it'll have most of everything that I want -- 1080p24, 720p60, manual controls, and stereo audio in-put... Crop factor of *only* 1.45x instead of 1.6x.

With a crop factor do wider lenses share the same properties as their ff equivalents, or are they just zoomed in wides? E.g. a 35mm at 1.45x would have a similar frame size as a ~50mm lense, but would it maintain the same DOF properties as the 35mm lense (slightly deeper than a normal lense) or would it be more like a 50mm lense. (Am I even making sense, here?)

OH, another question, on the last page, a few of you were concerned that Canon was simply rebadging their APS-C sensors to 18mp (instead of 12-15mp), what is problem with this and how would it affect things like low-light and noise?

Where did you see that? the 7D press release clearly states it has a 1.6 crop factor.

Canon EOS 7D carrying about 18 million self-developed and effective pixel APS-C size CMOS image sensors. 8-channel high-speed data acquisition, support for up to about 8 / s high-speed continuous shooting. Image sensor size is 22.3 × 14.9 mm, shooting angle is equivalent to about 1.6 times lens focal length. With the development of CMOS semiconductor wafer process, more sophisticated manufacturing process of import, to achieve a high ISO sensitivity, low noise, high dynamic range.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
-Rogue5- said:
Not quite sure what you're asking, but DoF is totally dependent upon the lens. When you use a DoF calculator, the numbers you input only relate to the lens and subject distance, not what kind of camera you're using.

The reason full frame cameras have less apparent DoF than crop sensor cameras is because with a full frame sensor, you have to move closer to your subject to get the same framing as a crop sensor (assuming we are using the same lens). Moving closer decreases the distance to subject, decreasing DoF.

-Rogue5-

Hcoregamer00 -- well that settles that... It was a post (I guess it was an unsubstantiated one) on canonrumors about the crop factor NOT being 1.6... but apparently it is.

Rentahamster -- That's pretty much exactly what I was asking, but put into context of cropping (since, with cropping, you would have to move further back to get the same framing with the same lense on a FF sensor.)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Possible expanded 7D info...

18 megapixel APS-C 1.6x Crop, new sensor process designed for low noise

8fps

Dual Digic IV, new 14-bit ADC circuitry

New 19-point AF circuitry, allowing you to group AF points into 5 regions as well, all points are crosstype with f/5.6 or faster lenses, the center point is additionally sensative with f/2.8 or faster lenses.

100% viewfinder with LCD overlay, allowing a level and gridlines to be projected on the screen, apparently uses parts of the EOS-1D Mark III pentaprism in its design

New 63-zone iFCL meter, iFCL = intelligent Focus Color Luminance, basically its a color meter, tied to the 19-point AF, promises better accuracy

Exposure compensation is now +/- 5 stops, Also AEB has been improved but not sure how.

Sounds like its FULLY weathersealed, Not half-weathersealed like the 5D Mark II, but I could be wrong

Shutter based on the unit in the 5D Mark II, 150,000 cycles.

3" Rear screen, upgraded version of the one in the 50D and 5D Mark II, supposedly more glare resistant and has a wider viewing angle

Video is 1080p at 24, 25 or 30 fps, or 720p at 60/50/30/25/24 fps, has manual controls, gridlines and the virtual level available

Expect a lot of technical advances to debut in this camera, giving a lot of clues as to what we'll see when the 1D Mk4 appears

www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_7d.html

The Pentaprism is <3333333

BlueTsunami

Official Canon 7D announcement!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090105canoneos7d.asp

Capture images exactly as you see them
The Canon EOS 7D features an Intelligent Viewfinder that offers photographers 100 per cent frame coverage. With 1.0x magnification* - a first for EOS - photographers see a large bright image that helps to fully immerse them within the shot. A transmissive LCD incorporated in the viewfinder allows photographers to choose between various overlay features - such as AF points, the spot metering circle and composition grid – providing a range of tools that help when framing a shot. The EOS 7D is also the first EOS to introduce a Dual-Axis Electronic Level – in the viewfinder and on the LCD - that indicates both pitch and roll angles. This feature is particularly useful when shooting landscapes to ensure a level horizon, or when used in conjunction with a Tilt and Shift lens to level the camera.

Dual “DIGIC 4”
EOS 7D is fitted with Dual “DIGIC 4” processors; the power of the processors enables more advanced processing algorithms allowing the camera to achieve a high performance 8fps at 18 megapixels.

DIGIC 4 removes the highly noticeable colour noise as well as reducing luminance noise without loss in detail, allowing for very clean high ISO images. Even at ISO 6400 noise levels are similar to those of ISO 1600 from DIGIC III. Auto Lighting Optimiser is now also available during manual exposure, without any drop in performance.

$1700 for just the Body. I think I may get this... it certainly has all the tools I'll make use of for a very long time.

*Gizmodo hands on: http://gizmodo.com/5349829/canon-7d-dslr-first-hands-on-18-megapixels-24fps-full-hd-video-for-1900

Hcoregamer00

7D sounds amazing for the 1D class weather sealing alone.

Finally, Canon is bringing professional weather sealing to the masses.

mrkgoo

I'm a dick for wanting this, because my camera is already too much for my skill level.

But features that are so awesome:

100% viewfinder.
HD Video (with 24fps!)
ISo6400, supposedly equivalent to iso1600 on my camera
UDMA Compact FLash support
8fps.

Also I don't have to throw away my ef-s lenses.

At $1700, I may actually buy this...

Edit: OH yeah, has 920,000 pix screen. I've seen those, they are gorgeous.

Hcoregamer00

killertofu said:
Oh man, that 7D looks hot. I want to switch from Nikon now...

It waxes and wanes, it took Canon this long to come up with a D300 killer.

Nikon will surely fire back at Canon, whether it is sooner or later.

Edit: first shots from the Camera show that it has none of the banding found present in the Canon 50D at ISO 1600 and 3200. This camera is a world class improvement for Canon.

mrkgoo said:
I'm a dick for wanting this, because my camera is already too much for my skill level.

But features that are so awesome:

100% viewfinder.
HD Video (with 24fps!)
ISo6400, supposedly equivalent to iso1600 on my camera
UDMA Compact FLash support
8fps.

Also I don't have to throw away my ef-s lenses.

At $1700, I may actually buy this...

You are the one with the 5D mark II right?

I say you should stick with that camera.

I want to start dabbling in short films, and it seems like this camera is more legit than buying a D90 or 300s. I really hoped that the 300s would be a step toward the better in terms of video capability but it failed to impress. Now how am I going to find the money for this camera...

BlueTsunami

The Viewfinder overlay sounds sweet (you Nikon users already have had the joy of using something similar!).

Apparently the focus screen is not interchangable. The reason for this is that the LCD overlay implimentation allows what you see over the Viewfinder to be changed. You can in one scenario have all the AF points shown up and in another guide lines for composition!

Also here are some ISO samples...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10042-10239

I'm personally using a Rebel XT and being able to use something beyond ISO1600 has me creaming my pants.

mrkgoo

Hcoregamer00 said:

You are the one with the 5D mark II right?

I say you should stick with that camera.

I wish. 40D. It's a great camera, and does more than I need. I've been wanting to play with video recording with some nice lenses, so have looked at 5D, but the price is slightly prohibitive, considering I'd have to give up some of my nice lenses (they won't work on the 5D).

Hcoregamer00

mrkgoo said:
I wish. 40D. It's a great camera, and does more than I need. I've been wanting to play with video recording with some nice lenses, so have looked at 5D, but the price is slightly prohibitive, considering I'd have to give up some of my nice lenses (they won't work on the 5D).

The 7D sounds like it is right up your alley.

Initial impressions have it as a HUGE improvement (in terms of picture quality) over the 40D and the 50D. It also has an AF that is second to only the 1D class cameras.

The best part (I have to emphasize this), the 1D class weather sealing. Canon is finally putting professional weather sealing on cameras that are not $3,700 and above.

BlueTsunami said:
The Viewfinder overlay sounds sweet (you Nikon users already have had the joy of using something similar!).

Apparently the focus screen is not interchangable. The reason for this is that the LCD overlay implimentation allows what you see over the Viewfinder to be changed. You can in one scenario have all the AF points shown up and in another guide lines for composition!

Also here are some ISO samples...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10042-10239

I'm personally using a Rebel XT and being able to use something beyond ISO1600 has me creaming my pants.

I have a Canon Rebel XSi, so the idea of any noiseless ISO above 400 is unbelievably awesome.

stldave2

Hcoregamer00 said:

I hope it is sooner rather than later, I really want the D700s/x/whatever to be a solid rebuttal to the 5d mkII. Best Buy already removed the D700 from their system, which if this is like the D300 was there should be a new model within the next 3 months. I really want me some full frame 1080p goodness, but I have wayyyyy too much wrapped up in Nikkor glass to even consider switching.

BlueTsunami

stldave2 said:
I hope it is sooner rather than later, I really want the D700s/x/whatever to be a solid rebuttal to the 5d mkII. Best Buy already removed the D700 from their system, which if this is like the D300 was there should be a new model within the next 3 months. I really want me some full frame 1080p goodness, but I have wayyyyy too much wrapped up in Nikkor glass to even consider switching.

I think I read that the 7D allows full control over the Aperture and Shutter too :D But considering that this may turn into a back and forth between Nikon and Canon, Nikon will definitely come out with some comparable.

stldave2

BlueTsunami said:
I think I read that the 7D allows full control over the Aperture and Shutter too :D But considering that this may turn into a back and forth between Nikon and Canon, Nikon will definitely come out with some comparable.

I may be mistaken since I am a Nikon guy, but didn't they release a firmware update for the 5d mkII that gave it those capabilities as well?

And I love the fact there is this competition going on, keeps people innovating!

BlueTsunami

stldave2 said:
I may be mistaken since I am a Nikon guy, but didn't they release a firmware update for the 5d mkII that gave it those capabilities as well?

Yep, I also read that on one of the sites. Its just cool that this level of control is still being offered in this body (knowing Canon, they could have made it all auto just to keep the 5DII interesting).

Hcoregamer00

BlueTsunami said:

Yup, competition is great because the consumers win in the end. The new Canon 7D is a good sign that Canon is not going to rest on its laurels. Hopefully they come up with a D700 killer soon (Canon 3D?).

On the Canon side, I am also interested to see whether Canon will continue the xxD lineup and have the 7D be the high-end prosumer model, or make the 7D the standard "Prosumer" camera. If they make 7D the main Prosumer camera, the next rebel camera should be a much nicer camera if they are aiming that camera at the Nikon D90.

stldave2 said:
And I love the fact there is this competition going on, keeps people innovating!

Yup, I am also interested to see what CaNikon will do since Sony is releasing a $2,000 Full Frame SLR.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is video capability really that important to you guys? Speaking for myself and most other folks I know, we have absolutely no use for video from a still camera.

I've always been a tad curious as to what kind of customer this video thing is geared towards.

Hcoregamer00

Rentahamster said:
Is video capability really that important to you guys? Speaking for myself and most other folks I know, we have absolutely no use for video from a still camera.

I've always been a tad curious as to what kind of customer this video thing is geared towards.

No, I pointed out the reasons why I liked the 7D earlier.

Amazing picture quality, low amount of noise at high ISO's, amazing AF, and professional class weather sealing. None of which has to do with video capability.

Video should never come before the Photography purposes of DSLR's, but they do make a nice bonus.

BlueTsunami

Rentahamster said:

I believe its the same thing with Point and Shoots. Its useful when you need it. Having video capabilities from a DSLR wouldn't make or break my purchase but it is a pretty great incentive (seeing as how I don't have any videocams that record digitally let alone HD).

It also seems like something that isn't really adding to cost. It honestly looks like a product of Live View that has software built around the capturing of that data.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hcoregamer00 said:
No, I pointed out the reasons why I liked the 7D earlier.

Amazing picture quality, low amount of noise at high ISO's, amazing AF, and professional class weather sealing. None of which has to do with video capability.

Video should never come before the Photography purposes of DSLR's, but they do make a nice bonus.
Yeah, I guess it's a nice bonus, but I haven't bothered to upgrade any of my cameras to a video capable version. I'd actually prefer no video if it would make the camera cheaper overall. I'd rather have them improve some other function rather than add on video that's gonna be all Jello-y anyway.

Hopefully that improved AF thing is as good as reported. One of the reasons I prefer using my Nikon bodies over the Canons is that the AF on the Nikons is faster and more accurate. Maybe I can finally give the 40D the boot.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BlueTsunami said:
It also seems like something that isn't really adding to cost. It honestly looks like a product of Live View that had software built around it.
You think so? It at least eats up some R&D resources, no? I guess I'm just a little annoyed that it only adds yet another useless (to me, anyway) marketing point to squabble over between the camera makers. I could be in the minority, though.

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:

I'm a hobbyest. There's nothing in it for me more than to play. Shooting and editing video is kinda fun. And I have a bunch of consumer gear for it (well MacBook Pro and iMovie), and have done some goofy shorts before - yup fun. There's something about editing videos to different music that is neat.

But the idea of doing macro videos with a macro lens? Cool.

Mostly just to play, though. It's all in my head of course. Just like taking decent pictures. Or playing with flipnote. I THINK I'll be good at it when I'll probably be mediocre. For me I probably like the concept of having it more than actually doing anything with it. But, you know gotta try it...

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
You think so? It at least eats up some R&D resources, no? I guess I'm just a little annoyed that it only adds yet another useless (to me, anyway) marketing point to squabble over between the camera makers. I could be in the minority, though.

Then don't buy it. But I agree, it does take up resources. I doubt it's just a by product of live view. The processor plays a major part in allowing HD video. The older processors just didn't have the power to do decent HD, so it was never worth implementing.

I think it's more than a marketing point. The main point is video with those lenses.

Just look at these sites and tell me the 5D mkII was just marketing:

http://theeoscars.com/5dblog/

http://wiki.planet5d.com/index.php?title=Mkii_video_samples

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mrkgoo said:
Then don't buy it.
I can't not buy it if every camera here on out has video. As long as the still picture capabilities are top notch, I'll buy it.

mrkgoo said:
Just look at these sites and tell me the 5D mkII was just marketing:

http://theeoscars.com/5dblog/

http://wiki.planet5d.com/index.php?title=Mkii_video_samples
Don't get me wrong, the results are very nice and all (like that once video some gaffer made at a nightclub, that was pretty kickass), but I wonder how many users actually use the video capabilities significantly, and how many users just dabble with it and then mostly forget about it.

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
I can't not buy it if every camera here on out has video. As long as the still picture capabilities are top notch, I'll buy it.

Don't get me wrong, the results are very nice and all (like that once video some gaffer made at a nightclub, that was pretty kickass), but I wonder how many users actually use the video capabilities significantly, and how many users just dabble with it and then mostly forget about it.

I know what you mean, I was kind of fishing for this, because arguably, couldn't you say that about a lot of other features in an SLR? Who uses all the features? I don't use spot metering all that much anymore. I only use the center focus point. I don't shoot RAW. I don't shoot with the flash. I don't use the 6.3 fps (much). And so on. Some people will find a use for it, and actually, it may be an indispensable feature for others.

Another example is people used to frown upon live view on an SLR, but it's incredibly useful.

Obviously, those are features used to improve the photography, whereas video taking is entirely different. Point is, there are many features that add to the cost of a camera that you never use.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mrkgoo said:
I know what you mean, I was kind of fishing for this, because arguably, couldn't you say that about a lot of other features in an SLR? Who uses all the features? I don't use spot metering all that much anymore. I only use the center focus point. I don't shoot RAW. I don't shoot with the flash. I don't use the 6.3 fps (much). And so on. Some people will find a use for it, and actually, it may be an indispensable feature for others.

Another example is people used to frown upon live view on an SLR, but it's incredibly useful.

Obviously, those are features used to improve the photography, whereas video taking is entirely different. Point is, there are many features that add to the cost of a camera that you never use.
I find these features to be quite essential, actually. More so than video, anyway.

BlueTsunami

For you Canon Macro shooters...

Canon EF 100mm F2.8L USM Macro with Hybrid IS: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090102canon100mmmacro.asp

The high quality, medium telephoto macro lens, has been developed for photographers who demand the highest level of optical quality. The new Hybrid IS system features up to 4-stop correction, compensating for the effects of camera shake, during normal shooting. Low friction ceramic balls support the moving elements, which allows for the amazingly smooth movement – needed when compensating for camera shake during macro shooting. Hybrid IS corrects shift movement – problematic when shooting up close -as well as angular movement providing photographers with the benefit of up to 2 stops at 1.0x magnification.

How Hybrid IS works...

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/lens/technology/index3.html#hybrid_is

I read that its going to retail for $1049

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
I find these features to be quite essential, actually. More so than video, anyway.

I know, that's my point. What some find essential, others find just something on the side to dabble in.

I kind of deceive, because those are all features related to photography and enhance your photography - and gives room to expand to do so. I have used those features before, and I will probably use them more extensively in future too.

But maybe you see my (kind of off to the side) point about features. The quality of the video from an SLR (lowlight), combined with the abilities of SLRs (narrow DOF, wide aperture) provide extra opportunities that even expensive camcorders can't achieve. It may not interest you, but definitely interests a lot of people. For example, I have no interest in the 15fps video from a 500D, but this intrigues me as it's more like REAL video, not just some hack.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Well, the 7D looks pretty awesome.

Wonder what this will do to the used 50D market... probably won't drop as much as I hoped.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mrkgoo said:
I know, that's my point. What some find essential, others find just something on the side to dabble in.

I kind of deceive, because those are all features related to photography and enhance your photography - and gives room to expand to do so. I have used those features before, and I will probably use them more extensively in future too.

But maybe you see my (kind of off to the side) point about features. The quality of the video from an SLR (lowlight), combined with the abilities of SLRs (narrow DOF, wide aperture) provide extra opportunities that even expensive camcorders can't achieve. It may not interest you, but definitely interests a lot of people. For example, I have no interest in the 15fps video from a 500D, but this intrigues me as it's more like REAL video, not just some hack.
Yeah, I know - which is why I wondered out loud just how many people out there actually find video on an SLR a worthwhile function. I have my own biases and am predisposed to not like video on an SLR since I don't think it enhances my photography at all. For me, all those bells and whistles like high fps, live view, RAW, etc. enhance my still photography ability. The ability to shoot video doesn't. Sorry if my wording was a little convoluted.

I wanted to know if it's just me.

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
Yeah, I know - which is why I wondered out loud just how many people out there actually find video on an SLR a worthwhile function. I have my own biases and am predisposed to not like video on an SLR since I don't think it enhances my photography at all. For me, all those bells and whistles like high fps, live view, RAW, etc. enhance my still photography ability. The ability to shoot video doesn't. Sorry if my wording was a little convoluted.

I wanted to know if it's just me.

No, it's not just you.

It's probably a 50-50 split, I'd say, amongst the camera enthusiasts.

For the general consumer, it is a marketing point, but I doubt they're really looking at this bracket. Unless they're wealthy, they tend to only go up to about XXD. That said, I've seen people with 5DmkII who had no real idea what they were doing.

BlueTsunami

Going forward from the whole Blackberry/iPhone generation, its not that surprising that various ways to capture and use media/pictures/video are coming together.

Plus, the various scenarios a still camera is used sort of converges with scenarios where recording video would be great too. For instance, any family related functions. Just a flip of the switch and I'm recording video and a press of the shutter I can get a high quality picture too. Way better then juggling two different electronic devices.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mrkgoo said:
It's probably a 50-50 split, I'd say, amongst the camera enthusiasts.
Hmm, this makes me curious as to what the percentages are for beginners, enthusiasts, and pros.

...which in turn makes me curious as to what Canon and Nikon think about all of this when/if they release a MarkIV/D4 with video.

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
Hmm, this makes me curious as to what the percentages are for beginners, enthusiasts, and pros.

...which in turn makes me curious as to what Canon and Nikon think about all of this when/if they release a MarkIV/D4 with video.

It'll probably follow a distribution like
80-20, 50-50, 20-80. I dunno, just a guess.

Borman

Rentahamster said:

Honestly, right now, a lot of it really is useless for most people, since the video isnt all that good. But if this competition leads to amazing video on top of an amazing DSLR, the consumer wins, big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom