• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have been thinking about getting a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens, I was wondering what you all thought about them, or had any advice on another lense for a similar price.

I currently have a canon T2i with the kit 18-55mm lense.

It's the best zoom lens for its price. I loved mine, though I recently upgraded to a 70-200mm f/4 IS L to replace it. You can't go wrong with he 55-250mm

Edit:
Not my best picture, but you can get an idea of reach. This was cropped somewhat for composition purposes and some Lightroom adjustments but I got this with the 55-250mm.

IMG_3745.jpg

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hey guys, I have been thinking about getting a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens, I was wondering what you all thought about them, or had any advice on another lense for a similar price.

I currently have a canon T2i with the kit 18-55mm lense.

I started with the same kit you have, and then bought the 55-250. By no means an expert but it is a nice enough lens. Not long enough for nervous birds (which is why I'm looking at the 100-400mm), but plenty good enough for tele landscapes, for zoos, for streets, for getting the hang of longer focal lengths. Not great for hanging filters on like ND grads and polarisers because the front element rotates.

The image stabilisation is good, I've happily used it for street shots from the top of a moving double-decker bus (actually, that's my favourite use for it in summer).

Seems a lot of people start with one of these and then move on, so there seems to be a lively secondhand market in them - if you're in the UK you'll find good secondhand at mpb photographic and then be able to trade it in afterwards if need be. No need to pay full price.

Borman

I'll take one of each for 46mm and 72mm. You have my gratitude.

Hah I have to go through and see what is in there, going to be a couple of weeks. Bigger sizes were pretty limited, not sure if there were any 72mm (if there were, there are only a couple).

All told, there were 120 items or so, 100 of them being filters, and around 15 being some smaller step-converters, and the remaining 5 being some other random things I wanted. Total cost was just over 50$ :p

tino

Banned
Any Pentax MX and/or Pentax-M 40mm/2.8 pancake owner here?

I am trying to turn this MX paper craft model

into 1:1 size

I have resized the original smaller 1 page components into bigger 3 pages of components, in U.S. letter size. If you have a MX, or a 40/2.8, can you print out one of the pages and tell me if they are accurate 1:1 size?

Here is the link of the pdf file

Bob Ross

I finally got a DSLR, and its the Canon T2i. I love it and i think its going to great to learn on and has been fun so far. But there is one problem and that is the video recording wont work for more than a few seconds before i get a message saying that video recording has been automatically stopped. Has anyone had this issue and/or know of a way to fix it? Iv'e tried to google it but nothing comes up for it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I finally got a DSLR, and its the Canon T2i. I love it and i think its going to great to learn on and has been fun so far. But there is one problem and that is the video recording wont work for more than a few seconds before i get a message saying that video recording has been automatically stopped. Has anyone had this issue and/or know of a way to fix it? Iv'e tried to google it but nothing comes up for it.

what type of SD card did you buy? That happens when the memory buffer gets full and the write speed of the card is too slow to keep up with the new information needing to be written. If you got a super cheap/slow card that can happen, though usually it happens after more then a few seconds.

Anyone have experience printing out their digital photographs?

I use an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 to make prints. It can print on a wide variety of papers with different levels of gloss and texture, lots of room for experimentation there- though obviously it's for paper printing only. Personally I'm not a big fan of canvas photo prints though. I started out printing with an online lab, and the prints turned out ok, but I hated waiting for them, being able to tweak things and get a print right away is so nice. Prints are just a great way of viewing your photos- they can actually use all of the resolution of a current serious camera- no display is capable of that yet (4K is 8.3 MP).

Bob Ross

I got a 32g SanDisk for $20 so that's probably it. Do you know of any good cards that can handle it for cheap? The 32 will be fine for now but maybe something like an 8g or 16g for events where I may need to film. Thanks.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I got a 32g SanDisk for $20 so that's probably it. Do you know of any good cards that can handle it for cheap? The 32 will be fine for now but maybe something like an 8g or 16g for events where I may need to film. Thanks.

It's not so much the capacity but the speed of the card you want to be worried about for video.

Bob Ross

Yeah I just meant like I'd use the 32 for photography and find a cheap one with high speed, which would make it low capacity most likely

Wha speed class is it? (The number in a circle on the card label)

Pagusas

Elden Member

i use these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/828325-REG/SanDisk_SDSDRX3_016G_A21_16GB_SDHC_Memory_Card.html

good read and write speed, I've never had a problem with overflowing buffer. On my cheaper 16gb card that i use in my s100 I've had lots of problems with using it and my 5d for video (but that was just seeing if it WOULD work)

I just got back from a DC trip and loaded all my pictures to my computer. On over half of my pictures, I'm seeing this weird line in the exact same spot. I have attached one of the pictures here. Any idea what could be causing it?

I just got back from a DC trip and loaded all my pictures to my computer. On over half of my pictures, I'm seeing this weird line in the exact same spot. I have attached one of the pictures here. Any idea what could be causing it?

corrupted file maybe? or a sensor issue? you should try uploading to another computer

I still remember how my dad's Olympus which had a CCD sensor gave me vertical white lines when there's overexposed parts in the scene, especially if it's overexposed AND metallic. Fun times.

Groof

Hey guys, I hope it's alright to ask for recommendations in this thread?

I've been looking to get a proper camera for a long while now because a smartphone camera just isn't enough for those long trips. But as a photography noob, and someone who probably won't try to pursue anything more than that, I've been looking for something cheap, relatively lightweight, yet has good performance. So I found the Sony NEX-5 line, with NEX-5RK being the cheapest. Is this a good choice for me or is there something else I should turn my attention to?

Thanks in advance all. :)

Hey guys, I hope it's alright to ask for recommendations in this thread?

I've been looking to get a proper camera for a long while now because a smartphone camera just isn't enough for those long trips. But as a photography noob, and someone who probably won't try to pursue anything more than that, I've been looking for something cheap, relatively lightweight, yet has good performance. So I found the Sony NEX-5 line, with NEX-5RK being the cheapest. Is this a good choice for me or is there something else I should turn my attention to?

Thanks in advance all. :)

What is the kit lens bundled with that? Keep in mind that you can probably get away with the NEX-3N if you don't mind slower autofocus and less grip. You also won't be able to extend its functionality with anything, either, as there's no hot shoe or accessory port.

Groof

What is the kit lens bundled with that? Keep in mind that you can probably get away with the NEX-3N if you don't mind slower autofocus and less grip. You also won't be able to extend its functionality with anything, either, as there's no hot shoe or accessory port.

It's the E 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens (copied straight off of Google). The NEX-3N doesn't seem to be available here, just the NEX-F3, but I don't know what the differences between those are. Nevermind, found the 3N, but it's almost the same price as the 5R.
What's the upside of accessories? I'm guessing boom mics and stuff like that?

It's the E 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens (copied straight off of Google). The NEX-3N doesn't seem to be available here, just the NEX-F3, but I don't know what the differences between those are. Nevermind, found the 3N, but it's almost the same price as the 5R.
What's the upside of accessories? I'm guessing boom mics and stuff like that?

Yep. No accessories on the 3N.

I'm guessing the power zoom bundle is not available at where you live, since if it's available, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 16-50 mm compact zoom. The 18-55 mm lens is quite sizable.

Have you also taken a look at Micro Four-Thirds cameras?

Groof

Yep. No accessories on the 3N.

I'm guessing the power zoom bundle is not available at where you live, since if it's available, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 16-50 mm compact zoom. The 18-55 mm lens is quite sizable.

Have you also taken a look at Micro Four-Thirds cameras?

Yeah there are no bundles available. Some sites offer an SD card add-in with the purchase though lol.

I have not, what are those?

Yeah there are no bundles available. Some sites offer an SD card add-in with the purchase though lol.

I have not, what are those?

You'll need a fast enough SD card for any of the NEX models since their built-in flash memory is good for applications only on the 5R and 6, and nothing for everything else for the moment.

As for MFT, here you go!

Let me sum it up for you now, as NEX's E-mount and MFT are the two systems that are worth considering right now.

Things to consider about E-mount:
  • Higher potential image quality (APS-C sensors are great)
  • If you're seriously into video, you can get an E-mount camcorder (Handycam or NXCAM) later on and reuse your current lenses.
  • Focus peaking and MF assist comes in very handy when you want to tweak focus in manual focus - or when you're using a manual focus lens, or non-electronic adapter.
  • Sony EVFs, if you can get one, are very good. XGA OLED EVFs are awesomesauce. (They come standard in NEX-6 and NEX-7, and you can get it as an accessory for the NEX-5N and NEX-5R.

Things to consider about MFT:
  • Potentially more compact (MFT lenses can be smaller than equivalent APS-C lenses)
  • Bigger lens selection (MFT's being around for far longer)
  • Olympus models use sensor-shift stabilization, so any lens attached will be able to benefit from image stabilization.
  • I'm pretty sure that most MFT cameras have a standard hot-shoe.

Remember that both are mirrorless models with a short flange distance - you can adapt a lot of legacy and DSLR glass on them with the right adapter.

It's probably a very good idea to check for online reviews for what you're getting, and if possible, get a hands-on.

Groof

You'll need a fast enough SD card for any of the NEX models since their built-in flash memory is good for applications only on the 5R and 6, and nothing for everything else for the moment.

As for MFT, here you go!

Let me sum it up for you now, as NEX's E-mount and MFT are the two systems that are worth considering right now.

Things to consider about E-mount:
  • Higher potential image quality (APS-C sensors are great)
  • If you're seriously into video, you can get an E-mount camcorder (Handycam or NXCAM) later on and reuse your current lenses.
  • Focus peaking and MF assist comes in very handy when you want to tweak focus in manual focus - or when you're using a manual focus lens, or non-electronic adapter.
  • Sony EVFs, if you can get one, are very good. XGA OLED EVFs are awesomesauce. (They come standard in NEX-6 and NEX-7, and you can get it as an accessory for the NEX-5N and NEX-5R.

Things to consider about MFT:
  • Potentially more compact (MFT lenses can be smaller than equivalent APS-C lenses)
  • Bigger lens selection (MFT's being around for far longer)
  • Olympus models use sensor-shift stabilization, so any lens attached will be able to benefit from image stabilization.
  • I'm pretty sure that most MFT cameras have a standard hot-shoe.

Remember that both are mirrorless models with a short flange distance - you can adapt a lot of legacy and DSLR glass on them with the right adapter.

It's probably a very good idea to check for online reviews for what you're getting, and if possible, get a hands-on.
Damn, thanks a lot for the help man! Much appreciated. :)

If you can find the 5n $100 cheaper than the 5R, get the 5n. Its basically 90% of the 5R.
Alright, I'll keep a checkout for my viable options, both in terms of the NEX and the MFT type cameras. I'm still leaning heavily on the 5R (5RK? What's the difference?) because of its feature set, but I'll see if I can find some nice deals on anything else in a similar class. The NEX-F3 seems like a nice, cheaper alternative as well, but I guess I lose things like WiFi? Anyway, thanks again guys!

tino

Banned
Damn, thanks a lot for the help man! Much appreciated. :)

Alright, I'll keep a checkout for my viable options, both in terms of the NEX and the MFT type cameras. I'm still leaning heavily on the 5R (5RK? What's the difference?) because of its feature set, but I'll see if I can find some nice deals on anything else in a similar class. The NEX-F3 seems like a nice, cheaper alternative as well, but I guess I lose things like WiFi? Anyway, thanks again guys!

Don't get the 3 series (lol), it will depreciate faster than the 5 variants. If you are going to get a 3, get an used one.

I just sold my new in box 5n plus kit lens for about 520. So you can get it 100 cheaper than the 5R in the US. I don't know where you are.

Pretty sure the K in the model name just means black color.

Groof

That is... well, odd.

Do you think you'll be fine with the size of the 18-55 mm kit lens?

Well, sure? The most advanced experience I've had with a camera is my smartphone and my dad's 10 year old digital camera, heh. So as you can see, I don't really know what I need and don't yet.

Don't get the 3 series (lol), it will depreciate faster than the 5 variants. If you are going to get a 3, get an used one.

I just sold my new in box 5n plus kit lens for about 520. So you can get it 100 cheaper than the 5R in the US. I don't know where you are.

Pretty sure the K in the model name just means black color.

I'm in Sweden, but I haven't checked any used markets yet. I'll keep an eye out. :)
Thanks for the tips, man.

Well, sure? The most advanced experience I've had with a camera is my smartphone and my dad's 10 year old digital camera, heh. So as you can see, I don't really know what I need and don't yet.

I'm in Sweden, but I haven't checked any used markets yet. I'll keep an eye out. :)
Thanks for the tips, man.

Well, the only thing you need to remember is that anything from the NEX series will give you much better image quality that what you have right now. I went with a 5R and I don't regret it at all, compared to other options, or getting an entry-level DSLR.

Try to hold out for now, and since you're in Sweden... Do they sell a 5R kit with the 16-50 power zoom? If yes, look for that. Lens issues are handled automatically by your camera.

Groof

Well, the only thing you need to remember is that anything from the NEX series will give you much better image quality that what you have right now. I went with a 5R and I don't regret it at all, compared to other options, or getting an entry-level DSLR.

Try to hold out for now, and since you're in Sweden... Do they sell a 5R kit with the 16-50 power zoom? If yes, look for that. Lens issues are handled automatically by your camera.

Yeah, I found one site that has the 16-50 lens, but the price is a bit too steep on that one for me at the moment... What's the advantage of that one compared to the 18-55 one? Just the zoom?

Yeah, I found one site that has the 16-50 lens, but the price is a bit too steep on that one for me at the moment... What's the advantage of that one compared to the 18-55 one? Just the zoom?

It's very compact when your camera is off. It's basically a pancake zoom. You know how small pancake lenses are? You can put it in a shoulder bag or a purse and you won't notice that it's there. It's also lighter than the 18-55. (It's actually supposed to be the successor of the 18-55)

If you have somewhat large pockets, that too.

You get power-zooming functionality with a zoom rocker at the side, too, giving you smooth zooming in videos. It's much more compact camera-like.

Groof

It's very compact when your camera is off. It's basically a pancake zoom. You know how small pancake lenses are? You can put it in a shoulder bag or a purse and you won't notice that it's there. It's also lighter than the 18-55. (It's actually supposed to be the successor of the 18-55)

If you have somewhat large pockets, that too.

You get power-zooming functionality with a zoom rocker at the side, too, giving you smooth zooming in videos. It's much more compact camera-like.

Oh okay yeah, I see the difference now. But the price difference between the one with the 18-55 to the 16-50 one is big enough that I might just have to live with the former, but if you think 16-50 is preferable I'll see what I can do.

Seriously guys, thanks a whole bunch for all your help! Gotta be tough having know-nothings like me coming in and asking a buncha questions. :)

The 16-50 pancake is not worth it. It operates like a P&S. Get the 18-55. IQ is good.

You're talking to someone that doesn't have a current gen camera of any kind. I personally don't really like the way a "proper" lens does things, to be honest. I'm more of an AF guy myself. Manual focus override is useful, and the power zoom will let you do that. Think of it as a step-up from a camera phone. Operation is a personal taste to someone who doesn't have a real, semi-recent camera. I know what you're thinking of, but P&S controls or DSLR-like controls don't really matter in this situation.

Image quality issues? Don't shoot RAW if you don't know what you're doing. The IQ issues are overblown on that pancake. Let the camera or conversion tools handle any lens issues, and you're mostly good.

tino

Banned
I am having a blast in Central Park. All these colors... spring is back baby.

BTW I didn't realize when you have Eye-Fi your smartphone can not use wifi to get online or act as hotspot.

Groof

I get what you both are saying, and indeed, anything would be a step up from what I've got at this point, but the main deciding factor is the price point at this time. If the 16-50 lens had been the same price I'd probably consider it, but it's quite a bit more expensive. I'm still not completely decided, however, but I'll probably just end up getting the 18-55 one because it's cheaper.

But really, thanks a whole lot for all the tips and help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom