• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what you both are saying, and indeed, anything would be a step up from what I've got at this point, but the main deciding factor is the price point at this time. If the 16-50 lens had been the same price I'd probably consider it, but it's quite a bit more expensive. I'm still not completely decided, however, but I'll probably just end up getting the 18-55 one because it's cheaper.

But really, thanks a whole lot for all the tips and help. :)

Enjoy your 5R, then! I bet that the 18-55 mm lens will be quite the eye-opener coming from a phone. Same for me, though it's a different kind for me.

Donos

Like others said, the 5N is a really good choice if available to you. Grabbed one on a sale for myself (417 € new with the 1855 kit lens). Only had my phone camera and an old Lumix pocket cam before so it was quite an amazing quality jump. Love the 5N and it makes really good videos. Only con for me are the tiny connections for hand straps and belts so i bought me extentions and S-Biner carabines to quickly attach straps at will. http://i.imgur.com/QcJJfFt.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/kXaDtfX.jpg

Thought about changing the 1855 for the 1650 PZ so that it fits in the jacket pockets (for clubs) but maybe i'm just going for the SEL35F18.

Also got an old Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 lens from ebay for 20 € + 15 € for the adapter to play around and damn that lens is sharp as hell. It also weights more than the 5N body itself :(.

Don't like at the 3N that they reduced (faltened) the handle/grip.

sooo I want to get some more general tips and tricks for my dslr.

Is their a great video series on youtube or some articles that is writtin in a way anyone can understand?

sooo I want to get some more general tips and tricks for my dslr.

Is their a great video series on youtube or some articles that is writtin in a way anyone can understand?

There is thousands of great resources on YouTube, my personal favourite is Gavin Hoey (username PhotoGavin) but big channels like DigitalRevTV are fantastic, as long as you can put up with the Asian hosts' odd British accent.

Wads

Banned
Some prefer 328i sedan, some prefer Miata.

Lol, fair enough, perhaps I should have phrased my question better. Since the price is the same, I'm wondering why someone would chose the RX100 over 5RK. I'm assuming size, but the NEX doesn't look that bulky.

Lol, fair enough, perhaps I should have phrased my question better. Since the price is the same, I'm wondering why someone would chose the RX100 over 5RK. I'm assuming size, but the NEX doesn't look that bulky.

The size of the NEX models can vary greatly depending on the lens attached. Pancake primes and zooms obviously take up the least space and weigh less. Super telephoto zooms weigh most and can get unwieldy. Adapted lenses are a wild card.

You get only one lens for the RX100, and the image quality might not be on par with the NEX models, but it's very compact.

If you don't intend on ever swapping the lens on the 5R (a lot of people in the low-end interchangeable lens camera market don't ever use anything but the kit lens), then the RX100 is the better choice IMO.

owlbeak

Hey Camera GAF, I am brand new to DSLRs and was just about to order my first one. I found, what I think, is a good deal - a canon EOS Rebel T3 that comes with an EF-S 18-55mm lens, EF-75-300mm zoom lens, USB cable, battery, charger, camera bag, strap and 4GB SD memory card for ~$550 US.

Is that a good deal for a good camera? I'm not looking to spend much more than 600. I'm just using some tax return money.

Hey Camera GAF, I am brand new to DSLRs and was just about to order my first one. I found, what I think, is a good deal - a canon EOS Rebel T3 that comes with an EF-S 18-55mm lens, EF-75-300mm zoom lens, USB cable, battery, charger, camera bag, strap and 4GB SD memory card for ~$550 US.

Is that a good deal for a good camera? I'm not looking to spend much more than 600. I'm just using some tax return money.

Not really.

Thanks for your useless reply! At least offer an opinion of why you think not.

I was surprised the telephoto lens was included, as the same lens sells by itself for $350-450.

That lens doesn't remotely sell for that much. That lens is generally considered a piece of shit lens. You should buy it though. You probably won't end up using the camera that much as your research has ended up being mediocre at best if you actually think that lens is worth that much. You aren't really serious about getting a DSLR, so go for it. Buy the kit. You obviously have to act like a turd when someone starts to give you advice, so get it. You'll love it. Of course your details are severely lacking as well. Is it used? Where are you buying? Is that the price after tax? What do you plan on shooting? Do you think you'd ever upgrade? Your original post was pretty much worthless.

owlbeak

That lens doesn't remotely sell for that much. That lens is generally considered a piece of shit lens. You should buy it though. You probably won't end up using the camera that much as your research has ended up being mediocre at best if you actually think that lens is worth that much. You aren't really serious about getting a DSLR, so go for it. Buy the kit. You obviously have to act like a turd when someone starts to give you advice, so get it. You'll love it.
God damn you're a salty cunt! Hahahaha

tino

Banned

The point of the camera bundle is that it makes you stop using the normal cross shopping tools like ebay amazon google shopper keh etc etc.

This bundle is only a good deal if you really need the tele zoom, if you dont NEED it then its not a good deal.

I recommend buying the body and a Sigma/Tarmon/Tokina 17-50mm f2.8-4 lens separately.

tino

Banned
Trying to figure out what I want to rent for when I go on vacation in the fall.

Thinking of the D7100, 35mm f/1.8, and the 18-55mm f/2.8

How long was the vacation, are you talking about the 17-55 or 18-55 kit lens?

If you are going to Disney type place again you might as well get a 24-120 or 18-270 type lens.

MRORANGE

Trying to figure out what I want to rent for when I go on vacation in the fall.

Thinking of the D7100, 35mm f/1.8, and the 18-55mm f/2.8

Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Nikon 35mm f1.8
Nikon 18-55mm/18-105mm/18-200mm/18-300m (whatever floats your boat)

That would be the most common setup to cover everything on DX

I'm rocking a Canon 600D for the moment and I'm looking for a lense that will serve me well for my American road trip next month. Heading from Vegas to NY and everyone in between but I'm particularly looking forward to shooting around Arizona and New Mexico.

What would be a good lense for mainly landscape and sightseeing photography?

I already have a 55-250 IS lense so that should sort me out in that range, I'm mainly looking for a prime lense or an wide-angle that won't break the bank?

Sharpness is the most important thing to me, if that helps.

How long was the vacation, are you talking about the 17-55 or 18-55 kit lens?

If you are going to Disney type place again you might as well get a 24-120 or 18-270 type lens.

I'm going for 8 days/7 nights.

I'm not talking about the 18-55 kit lens, I'm talking about this one.

nikon_af_s_dx_17_55mm_f2_8_g_if_ed_lens.jpg

Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G AF-S DX IF-ED

I don't know if I need that much of zoom though in terms of going 24-120, etc. I do have the standard 55-200 kit lens that I got years ago.

7353074336_41e39386c7_c.jpg

This time I'll actually bring a tripod though. It was a pain at times taking decent shots in very low situations outside by hand.

tino

Banned
In my experience you don't have time to change lens with you go on vacation with family. The 17-55 is a very good choice. I think the 17-55 is such a good stand alone lens you don't really need a prime to compliment it. Maybe a flash you can do remote trigger with?

As far as the 35/1.8G AFS, its such a cheap lens adoramarentals.com doesn't even have it.

In my experience you don't have time to change lens with you go on vacation with family. The 17-55 is a very good choice. I think the 17-55 is such a good stand alone lens you don't really need a prime to compliment it. Maybe a flash you can do remote trigger with?

As far as the 35/1.8G AFS, its such a cheap lens adoramarentals.com doesn't even have it.

I was reading that technically you never should have lenses that overlap because it becomes redundant.

I was planning on having the 35mm 1.8 just for food photography, and really low light photography.

While the 17-55 2.8 would be the walking lens.

nikon_af_s_dx_17_55mm_f2_8_g_if_ed_lens.jpg

I don't know if I need that much of zoom though in terms of going 24-120, etc. I do have the standard 55-200 kit lens that I got years ago.

7353074336_41e39386c7_c.jpg

This time I'll actually bring a tripod though. It was a pain at times taking decent shots in very low situations outside by hand.

What Camera or DSLR are you using ,Great Shot by the way?

Flo_Evans

Personally I think the 17-55 is a great walk around lens (a bit heavy though!) but if you are going to take mostly landscapes the 12-24 f/4 or the 10-24 might be fun. I haven't used a 10-24 since I already own a 12-24 and by most accounts the 12-24 is a better lens.

I would go with the 12-24 for tripod landscapes/daylight + the 35/1.8 for walk around and low light. For most vacation shots that is all you need. Now if you want to take nice portraits, the 17-55 makes a bit more sense, but is still not really ideal. I find most vacation "portraits" people want are wide angle though anyway to show the environment.

Personally I think the 17-55 is a great walk around lens (a bit heavy though!) but if you are going to take mostly landscapes the 12-24 f/4 or the 10-24 might be fun. I haven't used a 10-24 since I already own a 12-24 and by most accounts the 12-24 is a better lens.

I would go with the 12-24 for tripod landscapes/daylight + the 35/1.8 for walk around and low light. For most vacation shots that is all you need. Now if you want to take nice portraits, the 17-55 makes a bit more sense, but is still not really ideal. I find most vacation "portraits" people want are wide angle though anyway to show the environment.

The more I think about the more I'm leaning towards the 12-24 / 10-24 for landscapes and what not, and the 35mm to walk around with.

I just hope Borrow Lenses has a decent discount code when I order them for my trip in October.

tino

Banned
Just so you know the Nikon12-24 has pretty noticeable distortion. Most out of center human faces will have various degree of distortion.

The 14-24 A.K.A. The Big Light Bulb does not have this problem. :)

Thraktor

Just impulse-bought a used 5D MkII. APS-C I will not miss ye.

Actually I'll miss my 550D, which has served me damn well these past three years.

Well the picture I posted was with the Nikon D5100, but I'm intending on renting a D7100 for my upcoming trip.

You know i thought that quality looked familiar, I own a Nikon D5100 ,but I'm learning the lighting and ISO tech stuff as I go. Think about purchasing some more lenses and lighting equipment.

Anyone have any experience with the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8?

Am shooting the wedding of some friends (no, I'm not a wedding photographer; yes, I know; no really, I know, and I gave them an earful, and they still want me to do it and our friendship isn't riding on it; they know it will take 6 months for me to get around to finishing the edit).

I have a D600; I shoot mostly with primes, especially old AI-S glass. Don't think those are going to cut the mustard for a wedding (short civil ceremony + reception). I have an SB600 and light-stand, and my AF lenses are: 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2, 70-300mm f/slow VR.

Was thinking of getting them to rent me a 24-7mm0 f/2.8 & a SB900. I want quality and versatility and fast AF.

Any thoughts?

Recently got my hands on a Gopro HD 2. I'm loving this little camera. I'm thinking about selling one of my lenses that I barley use to buy a GoPro now. Either the HD 3 black or the contour 2. Still looking into it.

I have a 100mm f2.8 tokina macro lens for my 5D that I never use. It should just about buy me either camera.

Flo_Evans

Anyone have any experience with the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8?

Am shooting the wedding of some friends (no, I'm not a wedding photographer; yes, I know; no really, I know, and I gave them an earful, and they still want me to do it and our friendship isn't riding on it; they know it will take 6 months for me to get around to finishing the edit).

I have a D600; I shoot mostly with primes, especially old AI-S glass. Don't think those are going to cut the mustard for a wedding (short civil ceremony + reception). I have an SB600 and light-stand, and my AF lenses are: 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2, 70-300mm f/slow VR.

Was thinking of getting them to rent me a 24-7mm0 f/2.8 & a SB900. I want quality and versatility and fast AF.

Any thoughts?

Tough one ;)

Most wedding photographers use 2 bodies, one with a 70-200 and another with a fast wide prime.

The 24-70 is a legendary lens for good reason. I don't own one personally buy I've borrowed my dads on many occasions and it is a real gem.

You may be a little on the short end though. Depends on how the ceremony and reception are. As long as you don't mind getting up close and personal with your friends it should work out OK.

I HATE when people (friends) ask me to take wedding photos. I want to be there celebrating not working and stressing over getting the shot. It really is a 2 person job, it would be very helpful to get someone else to tag along and help. Weddings go pretty fast and it is almost impossible to change lenses and get to an alternate angle as shit is going down. It's like a strange mix of fashion and sports photography.

Good luck! :)

I'm interested in the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ($450) for my t2i as an upgrade from my canon 50mm 1.89 ($100). All of the reviews im reading are saying it is a fantastic lens. . . if you get a good copy. When it works, it is better than the canon 1.4 ($340), but a lot of people point out that their copies have focus issues. It seems to really be hit or miss whether or not you get a good copy. I'm so confused about what to do.

mmm sooo creamy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom