• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanace

I say you start with a RX100 and upgrade to a Ricoh GRD5 or X100s 1 year later. It takes experience to understand the less is more concept.

Wow, I checked out some RX100 reviews and sample pics, looks exactly like what I'm looking for. I definitely think I'll start here.

Thraktor

My new toy, photographed by my old toy:

5dmkii_800.jpg

Frustratingly, though, I don't have a CF card reader yet, so until that arrives in from Amazon all my photos and videos are stuck on it.

Wads

Banned
Unpacked my NEX-5R today... looks like I have a lot to learn! I'll probably be on the auto-shot feature for a bit...

So I got a nice cheap slider off of amazon for 150$ it works well enough. 42 inches long, so I got a lot of use out of it on a film shoot friday and saturday.

I was doing a pole dancing shoot and mounted my Mk II on the pole with a gorilla pod about 12 feet up which was kinda scary. I also got to use a GoPro, those a pretty fun I had some of the girls wear it on their heads, I'll post the video here when it's done.

y4bYhjIl.png

I thought the 5D MkII doesn't support memory card access over USB? I'll give it a try, though.

Use the EOS utility software it came with, or download it if you havent installed it. Beside that it's great if you ever want to do live view shooting or view e photos as you take them. I used it yesterday to frame my camera in the above image.

Thraktor

Use the EOS utility software it came with, or download it if you havent installed it. Beside that it's great if you ever want to do live view shooting or view e photos as you take them. I used it yesterday to frame my camera in the above image.

Thanks, just got it working there. It actually comes up right in Aperture, just doesn't appear as a normal drive.

Groof

Hey all, just wanted to say that I ordered a brand spanking new NEX-5R, and lucky I waited a bit because it was being sold for a reduced price!
Also wanted to thank Cuteness Overload and tino for their tips and help last page with my decision! Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

tomjr

Use a mini usb?

I used a CF card reader in the past. Once, I was transferring images from the card to my computer and the connection between the reader and my computer was bad. It corrupted my CF card and I lost a bunch of images.

I've used a mini usb since then.

Unpacked my NEX-5R today... looks like I have a lot to learn! I'll probably be on the auto-shot feature for a bit...

On auto, remember to pay attention to what features it's using and the aperture/shutter speed/ISO combo it is using. It'll come in handy as a reference of sorts when you step up to P and priority modes.

It'll also tell you what scene type it thinks it is, and it's usually right :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, guys, I need an advice.

Is there any good FF compact camera - something like NEX series? And what's the cheapest FF solution on the market nowadays?

the RX1 is both the smallest and more or less the cheapest full-frame camera available new today, especially when you consider that it comes with a great (albeit non-removable) lens. there is nothing comparable to it.

just shoot film or get better lenses for your NEX.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the RX1 is both the smallest and more or less the cheapest full-frame camera available new today, especially when you consider that it comes with a great (albeit non-removable) lens. there is nothing comparable to it.

just shoot film or get better lenses for your NEX.

I don't know how can it be more or less cheapest because it's about 4 000 bucks in my region. I can buy Canon 5D mark II for 2 000$.

okay, but can you buy it new? what lens are you going to buy with it? plus you said you were after something compact.

i just feel like if you think the RX1 is too expensive, you're probably not going to get on very well with the full-frame market as a whole. there are two options for small full-frame cameras out there, and one of them is leica. i'm amazed that the RX1 exists at all, never mind at a breakthrough price (and it is a breakthrough price, even if it may not be a sensible purchase).

Donos

RX1 looks sexy despite the price.
I always thought that my Mountain Bike hobby was expensive. Then i dived into cameras and was shocked how some lenses are more expensive than good bodies.

Although entry levels DSLRs are rather cheap nowadays and i see alot of people with them or mirrorless/compact system cameras i also see more and more tourists taking photos with just Iphones, Ipads / Android phones. I bet that some of them even think that their 8 / 13 MP are better than snapshots cameras with 7 MP.

My last trip to New York was the point where i thought that i need more then just my Lumix TZ3 snapshot camera. One of the New York days i forgot the SD card at our apartment and we had to make photos with my HTC One X. Crappy pics when the light started to fade. My gf is still mad that i forgot the SD card that day because it was the Brooklyn Bridge day.
Never again. That's why i wanted a mirrorless system camera with with the possibility of improvement (through better lenses) and good perfomance with low light.

tino

Banned
RX1 looks sexy despite the price.
I always thought that my Mountain Bike hobby was expensive. Then i dived into cameras and was shocked how some lenses are more expensive than good bodies.
You always spend more for lens(es) than your body. Good lens stay with you for decades. A body is only relevant for 5 years, if that.

Although entry levels DSLRs are rather cheap nowadays and i see alot of people with them or mirrorless/compact system cameras i also see more and more tourists taking photos with just Iphones, Ipads / Android phones. I bet that some of them even think that their 8 / 13 MP are better than snapshots cameras with 7 MP.

My last trip to New York was the point where i thought that i need more then just my Lumix TZ3 snapshot camera. One of the New York days i forgot the SD card at our apartment and we had to make photos with my HTC One X. Crappy pics when the light started to fade. My gf is still mad that i forgot the SD card that day because it was the Brooklyn Bridge day.
Never again. That's why i wanted a mirrorless system camera with with the possibility of improvement (through better lenses) and good perfomance with low light.

You know you could have walked in a Pharmacy and get a SD card. This happened to me a few times. Nowadays I have a few laying around, and whenever I take out the SD card to read on my computer, I make sure put in a random SD card in the camera body first.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
What kind for photos do you want to take? The x100 is a fantastic camera but not being able to change lenses is going to limit you. Being able to change perspective through different focal lengths is a pretty major aspect of photography.

Keep in mind for every person who says having a fixed lens will limit you there is one who says it will free you to just take pictures. I am in the latter camp. :)

Burger

Anyone familiar with Pentax ME Super film SLR cameras?

My girlfriends one which we dug up out of her closet is in seemingly good nick, but winding the film advance lever doesn't seem to make the mechanism stick 90% of the time, so pressing the shutter release does nothing. Is this just a case of needing a bit of lube in the action?

Anyone familiar with Pentax ME Super film SLR cameras?

My girlfriends one which we dug up out of her closet is in seemingly good nick, but winding the film advance lever doesn't seem to make the mechanism stick 90% of the time, so pressing the shutter release does nothing. Is this just a case of needing a bit of lube in the action?

The people on pentaxforums.com are usually very nice and will help you with this question. If the camera is in generally good shape, it might be quite sensible to bring it to a local camera service point anyway to let the body be checked and maintenanced.
I still love my ME Super and had it cleaned and serviced for €45 about two years ago. I think it was totally worth it.

Donos

You always spend more for lens(es) than your body. Good lens stay with you for decades. A body is only relevant for 5 years, if that.

Well, my gf wasn't so happy that i forked out 420€ for the NEX-5N + 100€ for equipment. Now i'm trying to tell her how awesome the SEL 35mm f1.8 OSS would be when she's like "420€???? you already have a lens for your camera????!!!!".
The Sigma 30mm is my emergency plan since it's really cheap atm (95€ Amazon) and also quite good.

You know you could have walked in a Pharmacy and get a SD card. This happened to me a few times. Nowadays I have a few laying around, and whenever I take out the SD card to read on my computer, I make sure put in a random SD card in the camera body first.

We were so tired from all the walking the whole week and wanted to see so many things on that day that we didn't think about this.

Burger

The people on pentaxforums.com are usually very nice and will help you with this question. If the camera is in generally good shape, it might be quite sensible to bring it to a local camera service point anyway to let the body be checked and maintenanced.
I still love my ME Super and had it cleaned and serviced for €45 about two years ago. I think it was totally worth it.

I did some googling and have found 2 possibilities. Have to totally disassemble it though. If it looks too tough it will probably be a good idea to get it serviced. Thanks :)

DEO3

Does anyone have any thoughts on the importance of TTL when it comes to speedlights?

I'm looking to buy my first non-built-in flash, and am currently considering the Yongnuo YN-560 II due to the low price and good reviews on Amazon, but I'm not sure if it's lack of TTL should concern me or not. I generally setup my shots as opposed to just shooting on the go like at parties or wedding or whatever, so I feel like a manual only speedlight would work just fine for me, but I just want to make sure I've taken everything into consideration because for some reason I feel like I'm going to be kicking myself down the road for not spending the extra cash for TTL.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the importance of TTL when it comes to speedlights?

I'm looking to buy my first non-built-in flash, and am currently considering the Yongnuo YN-560 II due to the low price and good reviews on Amazon, but I'm not sure if it's lack of TTL should concern me or not.

You should read this review of the YN-560 (tl;dr: it's unreliable).

I can't speak to TTL-vs-manual as I love TTL.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

I'm looking to buy my first non-built-in flash, and am currently considering the Yongnuo YN-560 II due to the low price and good reviews on Amazon, but I'm not sure if it's lack of TTL should concern me or not. I generally setup my shots as opposed to just shooting on the go like at parties or wedding or whatever, so I feel like a manual only speedlight would work just fine for me, but I just want to make sure I've taken everything into consideration because for some reason I feel like I'm going to be kicking myself down the road for not spending the extra cash for TTL.

It depends I think, whether you have a bit of time to experiment (and it need only be about 30 seconds or so depending how far you are away from the flashguns). I have a pair of the Yongnuo 560s [EDIT:and I'm pretty sure that I bought them from that UK retailer that Strobist mentions but doesn't name, he's a reliable guy and tests the things first and will not sell you a dud) and they do me just fine, but it takes a bit of fiddling to get it right, so for portrait shoots I set up in advance with a spare son or daughter and for still-life I don't care because I have enough time to play.

Generally it's not difficult to get the hang of a manual flash so long as you spend enough time with it (and if generally, if you're not spending enough time with it, I'd wonder why you have one anyway). If you know your lighting setup in advance it isn't a problem at all. TTL is handy for point'n'shoot stuff if you don't have time to think.

tino

Banned

If yur system support TTL, you should get a TTL flash and eventually a couple slave manual flashes. So you can get your feet wet with manual flash first.

I just ordered a YN560 III from ebay myself.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hey guys -

So my wife has decided that she doesn't really like the style of camera that I bought her. I actually bought it from tino here back in 2011. It's a Lumix DMC-GF3K. I'll probably cross-post this over at the BST thread, but I figured CameraGAF would be most interested.

What it is:

• Lumix DMC-GF3K
  • Lens: Lumix G Vario 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA O.I.S.
  • 4 GB Kingston memory card
  • Lowepro Edit 110 bag

I will get pictures for anyone who may be interested. My wife only ended up using it a total of 3 times. Once when she first got it, once at our wedding shower, and once while we were on a walk. Otherwise, it's just been sitting here all packaged up in the original box and case.

The version with the pancake lens goes for $400 used on Amazon, the lens itself goes for $90 used, and the bag is (basically) free. Given that I don't follow camera technology at all, I don't know what the market value of this camera is right now. If anyone is interested, please get in touch. She wants to buy a more typical point-and-shoot digital that she can carry around in her purse.

Thanks everyone!

E: Picture of the stuff!

For Size said:

E2: Looks like asking somewhere around $250 + shipping/insurance is fair?

Wads

Banned
Hey all, just wanted to say that I ordered a brand spanking new NEX-5R, and lucky I waited a bit because it was being sold for a reduced price!
Also wanted to thank Cuteness Overload and tino for their tips and help last page with my decision! Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Doh! Where at? I paid full price 648 + tax :/

On auto, remember to pay attention to what features it's using and the aperture/shutter speed/ISO combo it is using. It'll come in handy as a reference of sorts when you step up to P and priority modes.

It'll also tell you what scene type it thinks it is, and it's usually right :p

Thanks, good tip!

Hey guys -

So my wife has decided that she doesn't really like the style of camera that I bought her. I actually bought it from tino here back in 2011. It's a Lumix DMC-GF3K. I'll probably cross-post this over at the BST thread, but I figured CameraGAF would be most interested.

What it is:

• Lumix DMC-GF3K
  • Lens: Lumix G Vario 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA O.I.S.
  • 4 GB Kingston memory card
  • Lowepro Edit 110 bag

I will get pictures for anyone who may be interested. My wife only ended up using it a total of 3 times. Once when she first got it, once at our wedding shower, and once while we were on a walk. Otherwise, it's just been sitting here all packaged up in the original box and case.

The version with the pancake lens goes for $400 used on Amazon, the lens itself goes for $90 used, and the bag is (basically) free. Given that I don't follow camera technology at all, I don't know what the market value of this camera is right now. If anyone is interested, please get in touch. She wants to buy a more typical point-and-shoot digital that she can carry around in her purse.

Thanks everyone!

E: Picture of the stuff!

A270CD70-345F-4057-9E10-66231577C27D-7166-000004621CD04B2F_zps51db0398.jpg

I hate to be that guy, but the GX1 body goes for less than $300 and is a big step up from the GF3. Also, the GF5, the successor to your model goes for around $300 new with the same lens as you have.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I hate to be that guy, but the GX1 body goes for less than $300 and is a big step up from the GF3. Also, the GF5, the successor to your model goes for around $300 new with the same lens as you have.

You're not being that guy, you're just pointing something out that I know nothing about. I was basing it solely off of Amazon prices that I was able to pull up with my limited knowledge of what I was looking at. If we can sell this camera and fully fund her new digital (which is less than $300, ha), we'll be happy.

My apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'm in foreign territory here ^^

GAF, I know next to nothing about photography, but I'm looking for a cheap camera for work (I'm a reporter). Is this a good camera/deal?

http://www.ebrandon.ca/ItemView.aspx?item_id=837723

Not really no. I'm confused about why you need it if you are going to use it professionally and don't really know what you are doing. What kind of reporter are you?

Not really no. I'm confused about why you need it if you are going to use it professionally and don't really know what you are doing. What kind of reporter are you?

I work for a small newspaper. We don't really have the budget for a professional photographer (or a super-high-end camera) so I take photos while I'm at events, doing interviews etc..

So I'm not a professional photographer, but I would use it for work. I'm learning as I go. I'm also curious where the best online place to learn photography skills is.

I work for a small newspaper. We don't really have the budget for a professional photographer (or a super-high-end camera) so I take photos while I'm at events, doing interviews etc..

So I'm not a professional photographer, but I would use it for work. I'm learning as I go. I'm also curious where the best online place to learn photography skills is.

There's a multitude of places to start learning. We have a thread for beginners which is a good start. That camera has been surpassed by newer models better suited for inexperienced photographers. What is your budget?

That book in the beginners thread, Understanding Exposure is an essential book IMO.

I'd say $500, lens included, is about my budget. I could always buy a camera and then save up for a lens though. I honestly don't even know where to start.

Edit: This may be obvious, but I feel it's important that I'd need a camera that can shoot in a multitude of environments. High-speed sports photos, low-light dinners, outdoor events etc..

I know this is probably asking a lot. It's probably like asking for a TV that is 4K, 3D and 70" for $500.

I'd say $500, lens included, is about my budget. I could always buy a camera and then save up for a lens though. I honestly don't even know where to start.

Edit: This may be obvious, but I feel it's important that I'd need a camera that can shoot in a multitude of environments. High-speed sports photos, low-light dinners, outdoor events etc..

I know this is probably asking a lot. It's probably like asking for a TV that is 4K, 3D and 70" for $500.

Pretty much, but there are options. Your budget will dictate what you can get and that camera isn't bad, but it can be had for cheaper. It's also impossible to know the quality of what they are selling without seeing it first hand. I shoot what you are planning to shoot for my paper as well, but I've been able to spend money on acquiring a good kit.

You should look at getting the 30d body and then a EF-S 55-250mm lens and a kit 18-55. That should have you covered for any events.

tino

Banned

For your budget (and want to look professional) there is no a lot of options. I look around, you can get a Canon 40D for around $300. Its worth the 100 over the 30D. Don't get that 28-135mm lens its not a good walk around lens. Find a used Sigma 17-70 f/2.7-4 , or spend abit more for an used 17-50, 16-50 consistent 2.8 zoom in the sigma Tarmon Tokina area.

For your budget (and want to look professional) there is no a lot of options. I look around, you can get a Canon 40D for around $300. Its worth the 100 over the 30D. Don't get that 28-135mm lens its not a good walk around lens. Find a used Sigma 17-70 f/2.7-4 , or spend abit more for an used 17-50, 16-50 consistent 2.8 zoom in the sigma Tarmon Tokina area.

Pretty much, but there are options. Your budget will dictate what you can get and that camera isn't bad, but it can be had for cheaper. It's also impossible to know the quality of what they are selling without seeing it first hand. I shoot what you are planning to shoot for my paper as well, but I've been able to spend money on acquiring a good kit.

You should look at getting the 30d body and then a EF-S 55-250mm lens and a kit 18-55. That should have you covered for any events.

This is all sounding like gibberish to me already. I really need to read those books ^^

But I'm exhausted right now, so not until the weekend, probably. I appreciate your guys' advice though!

He needs to shoot sports as well which means he needs a longer lens. His budget is better spent on the 55-250mm as well as the kit lens. He's got more options with the 30d and those lenses especially if he's trying to stay within budget. You're leaving out the need for a long zoom.

tino

Banned
He needs to shoot sports as well which means he needs a longer lens. His budget is better spent on the 55-250mm as well as the kit lens. He's got more options with the 30d and those lenses especially if he's trying to stay within budget. You're leaving out the need for a long zoom.

I don't think you can shoot sports with a $500 budget and a slow tele zoom. I would just give that up and crop the shit out of the general zoom.

I just check you can get an used Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 for under 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom