• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
decided to go the analog way again.

dat weight

cg1lyoaolkza2dofg.png

anyone familiar with the canon 1.4 / 1.2 50mm LTM lenses? not sure which one i should get.
Tempted to buy the 1.2.. but the 1.4 gets more praise

also

Banned
I hope this is the right thread to ask in.

I'm looking for a compact camera for complete beginners. I want something small that's really simple to use, has a nice battery life and build quality. I really don't need any of the advanced features; I just want to point and shoot without having to fiddle with the settings. Bonus points if it has good image stabilization (damn you shaky hands!).
My budget is around 150€.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Damaged

Has anyone tried those WiFi SD cards? Do they actually work? How is the transfer speed?

Tried the transcend one with my D7000 and it works okay, used it as a way for a client to see a quick preview of the shots I was taking on an android tablet. The main downsides were that if you stopped shooting for a while it lost the wifi connection and had to reconnect each time, and the battery life was also noticeably shorter. Neither of these were a problem if you just want to use it as a way to get your shots on a phone or tablet.

Forsete

Tried the transcend one with my D7000 and it works okay, used it as a way for a client to see a quick preview of the shots I was taking on an android tablet. The main downsides were that if you stopped shooting for a while it lost the wifi connection and had to reconnect each time, and the battery life was also noticeably shorter. Neither of these were a problem if you just want to use it as a way to get your shots on a phone or tablet.

Its much faster to connect a OTG cable and a USB reader to your phone than the wifi card.

Mainly thinking of transferring (or is it transfarring? :p) them to my PC. I shoot RAW though so the file sizes are pretty big.

I guess I'll just stick to the good ol' USB reader thing then. Thanks anyway.

Damaged

Mainly thinking of transferring (or is it transfarring? :p) them to my PC. I shoot RAW though so the file sizes are pretty big.

I guess I'll just stick to the good ol' USB reader thing then. Thanks anyway.

For transferring to a pc stick with a card reader, way more simple and quicker.

Very soon according to SonyAlphaRumors; a new 5, 7, and a full-frame NEX apparently. However, a month ago the replacement for the 7 was supposed to be the only interchangeable lens camera coming out the remainder of this year, so take everything with a grain of salt.

leng jai

Very soon according to SonyAlphaRumors; a new 5, 7, and a full-frame NEX apparently. However, a month ago the replacement for the 7 was supposed to be the only interchangeable lens camera coming out the remainder of this year, so take everything with a grain of salt.

So no word on the NEX6 refresh? I'm still very torn between that and the RX100 II but leaning towards it due to my lack of patience.

tino

Banned
So no word on the NEX6 refresh? I'm still very torn between that and the RX100 II but leaning towards it due to my lack of patience.

Its reasonable to assume the NEX-5 will get yearly refresh (late summer 13), N7 will get refresh first ( late 2013) before N6 gets refresh ( 2014).

Although if Sony going to push the FF NEX-9, I don't see why they need to have both NEX-6 and NEX-7. Just change the weirdo dual wheel on the N7 back to traditional front/back wheels and add the new hotshoe and price it betweenN6 and N7.

leng jai

Its reasonable to assume the NEX-5 will get yearly refresh (late summer 13), N7 will get refresh first ( late 2013) before N6 gets refresh ( 2014).

Although if Sony going to push the FF NEX-9, I don't see why they need to have both NEX-6 and NEX-7. Just change the weirdo dual wheel on the N7 back to traditional front/back wheels and add the new hotshoe and price it betweenN6 and N7.

I see. I didn't realise the NEX 6 was actually released at a different time than the 5/7. I'm assuming the NEX 6 would be a lot better than the RX100 II for playing around with bokeh?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Have you checked with them to see who is a distributor in your area. Some of the mom and pop stores have them sooner as all of the multiple orders across various major chains are part of the problem too.

Yeah, no go. Ordered the HK model from DigitalRev today. Hopefully I don't need the warranty for anything...

leng jai

Think I'm pretty set on getting the NEX 6 today for a flat 1000 with kit lenses. Price looks pretty decent. Looks like a nice start camera for a beginner (perhaps slightly overkill?) who just likes to mess around with macro shots, bokeh and DOF. I would get the 5 instead but the EVF and wifi is at the top of my want list.

Does anyone know where you can get the Gariz half cases besides Ebay? They look fantastic.

Yeah, no go. Ordered the HK model from DigitalRev today. Hopefully I don't need the warranty for anything...

Yeah, that seems to be the last ditch effort. Good luck with it and enjoy. I'll upgrade someday but for right now the x100 is hitting all of the right spots for me.

tino

Banned
Think I'm pretty set on getting the NEX 6 today for a flat 1000 with kit lenses. Price looks pretty decent. Looks like a nice start camera for a beginner (perhaps slightly overkill?) who just likes to mess around with macro shots, bokeh and DOF. I would get the 5 instead but the EVF and wifi is at the top of my want list.

Does anyone know where you can get the Gariz half cases besides Ebay? They look fantastic.

Are you in US?

Just keep in mind you can pay 200 extra for a XE-1 with a much better zoom lens.

Compare the Sony 16-50 to the Fuji 18-55 is like compare a Ford Fiesta to a BMW 3 series..

(._.)

Banned

You should be fine. I got mine from HK too. Some shops you get them from will let you send them back to them and they will ship them to Fuji with the warranty. Usually just have to pay shipping one way.

Groof

Asked this before but didn't get an answer, but does anyone have experience with the macro e-mount lens for the NEX series?
Oh and while I'm at it, is the EVF really worth the cost? My biggest gripe has been the poor outdoor visibility of the LCD and was interested, but damn that's costly.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, that seems to be the last ditch effort. Good luck with it and enjoy. I'll upgrade someday but for right now the x100 is hitting all of the right spots for me.

After ~2 years of X100 use I'm eager to get my hands on the S. I have a catalog of photos I'm very happy with, and a metal print hanging on the wall, but also so many scenarios where I could have made use of some lightning AF speed, or the ability to AF in low light, or one stop better ISO performance, or focus peaking in manual, in order to get shots that I didn't end up getting. Getting all of those boxes checked would bring the experience from 8/10 to 10/10, which is probably why the damned X100S is sold out everywhere. ;b

After ~2 years of X100 use I'm eager to get my hands on the S. I have a catalog of photos I'm very happy with, and a metal print hanging on the wall, but also so many scenarios where I could have made use of some lightning AF speed, or the ability to AF in low light, or one stop better ISO performance, or focus peaking in manual, in order to get shots that I didn't end up getting. Getting all of those boxes checked would bring the experience from 8/10 to 10/10, which is probably why the damned X100S is sold out everywhere. ;b

agreed.

tino

Banned
Asked this before but didn't get an answer, but does anyone have experience with the macro e-mount lens for the NEX series?
Oh and while I'm at it, is the EVF really worth the cost? My biggest gripe has been the poor outdoor visibility of the LCD and was interested, but damn that's costly.

You have a couple options,

Get the NEX 30/3.5 macro, which is frankly too wide for a macro.

or get the alpha mount adapter and use Sony alpha macro lens. You will get AF that way.

or go with a macro lens from a different mount. You will lost AF but you have a much selection. Usually for macro photography AF doesn't matter. So a lot of people use MF macro lens and these MF lens are barely cheaper than AF versions. Pretty much all mounts will have a good 50mm and a 100mm 2.8 macro lens. If you just want a good one for the money you can start with a Tamron 90/2.8. Tamron has been making 90/2.8 for a long time and there are many generations of them. All are pretty good.

As for the external EVF. It depends on how much you use it. Have you considered a LCD shade?

EliCash

Have a Canon T2i/550D, used the standard kit 18-55 lens for a year while I learned what I was doing (had no money for anything else). I now use old Olympus OM lenses through an adapter which I'm really impressed with. My question is what is the best wide angle (preferably prime, but I don't know if that's an option) option for Canon DSLR's? My Olympus 28 becomes 44 when used through an adapter (the focal length multiplier sometimes works in my favour which is pretty cool, what used to be a standard 50 is now a decent portrait lens for example), but picking up a wider Olympus lens isn't an option. I don't like the 18-55, it was good for starting but that's about it, I want something better than using that at 18.

Groof

You have a couple options,

Get the NEX 30/3.5 macro, which is frankly too wide for a macro.

or get the alpha mount adapter and use Sony alpha macro lens. You will get AF that way.

or go with a macro lens from a different mount. You will lost AF but you have a much selection. Usually for macro photography AF doesn't matter. So a lot of people use MF macro lens and these MF lens are barely cheaper than AF versions. Pretty much all mounts will have a good 50mm and a 100mm 2.8 macro lens. If you just want a good one for the money you can start with a Tamron 90/2.8. Tamron has been making 90/2.8 for a long time and there are many generations of them. All are pretty good.

As for the external EVF. It depends on how much you use it. Have you considered a LCD shade?
Yeah I don't think AF will be a big thing for me with a macro lens, so either way will do. But do you need the alpha adapter for other lenses as well, such as the Tamron one you suggested? Cause in that case I'll have to start off by saving up for that.

Didn't even think of an LCD shade. Didn't even know they existed until today!

tino

Banned
Yeah I don't think AF will be a big thing for me with a macro lens, so either way will do. But do you need the alpha adapter for other lenses as well, such as the Tamron one you suggested? Cause in that case I'll have to start off by saving up for that.

Didn't even think of an LCD shade. Didn't even know they existed until today!

Sony alpha AF adapters are expensive. Adapters for other MF mounts are cheap, like $15-20 cheap.

If you have no idea what mounts to look into:

Nikon AIS/AF/AFD (best selection of MF gears, easy to find mint lens at reasonable prce)
Minolta A mount (If you get an old Minalta MF lens, you can still use the NEX-alpha AF adapter, so a good option if you plan to get Sony SLR in the future.)
Canon FD (good selection for high end fast lens.)
Konica AR (good for budget lens in good condition)

leng jai

Are you in US?

Just keep in mind you can pay 200 extra for a XE-1 with a much better zoom lens.

Compare the Sony 16-50 to the Fuji 18-55 is like compare a Ford Fiesta to a BMW 3 series..

I'm in Australia and the XE-1 would be $1200 with just that lens. Looks nice though but I prefer the aesthetic design of the NEX 6.

Groof

Sony alpha AF adapters are expensive. Adapters for other MF mounts are cheap, like $15-20 cheap.

If you have no idea what mounts to look into:

Nikon AIS/AF/AFD (best selection of MF gears, easy to find mint lens at reasonable prce)
Minolta A mount (If you get an old Minalta MF lens, you can still use the NEX-alpha AF adapter, so a good option if you plan to get Sony SLR in the future.)
Canon FD (good selection for high end fast lens.)
Konica AR (good for budget lens in good condition)
Thanks man! I'll have to check these bad boys out, then. No other adapter than the NEX alpha adapter supports AF though?

tino

Banned
Thanks man! I'll have to check these bad boys out, then. No other adapter than the NEX alpha adapter supports AF though?

Haha...there are actually some Chinese adapters. you can't really buy them and the quality is total crapshoot. Don't open this can of worms.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
DigitalRev is insisting that I give them a landline phone number for "security purposes" before they ship my X100S.

????????????

I told them that I'm not a 90 year old retiree.

leng jai

Didn't end up getting the NEX 6 yesterday - still too indecisive. Would anyone be kind enough to spell out in layman's terms the pros/cons of the NEX 6, XE1 and RX100 II? I've been reading up but the more technical side is still beyond my understanding at this stage.

JDeluis

Received my order from B&H and got the free upgrade that includes the speedlite. Ordered on July 7. Waiting for battery to finish charging. The camera feels very solid and is heavy. Almost weighs as much as my Canon Rebel XT (350D) but still is lighter than my 7D.

tino

Banned
Didn't end up getting the NEX 6 yesterday - still too indecisive. Would anyone be kind enough to spell out in layman's terms the pros/cons of the NEX 6, XE1 and RX100 II? I've been reading up but the more technical side is still beyond my understanding at this stage.

If you can find out the lowest price you can get for these combos, its easier for us to recommend:

Sony RX100
RX100 mark II
nex5n + 18-55 (good used condition)
nex5r + 18-55
nex6 + 18-55
nex6 + 16-50
Fuji XE1 + 18-55
Fuji ME1 + 16-50
Panasonic GX1 + kit zoom
EOS N + 22 + 18-55

leng jai

If you can find out the lowest price you can get for these combos, its easier for us to recommend:

Sony RX100
RX100 mark II
nex5n + 18-55 (good used condition)
nex5r + 18-55
nex6 + 18-55
nex6 + 16-50
Fuji XE1 + 18-55
Fuji ME1 + 16-50
Panasonic GX1 + kit zoom
EOS N + 22 + 18-55

RX100 - $568
RX100 II - $765
NEX5N + 2 kit lens - $900
NEX6 + 2 kit lens - $1016
XE1 + 18-55 - $1168
GX1 + 2 lens kit - $699

tino

Banned
Received my order from B&H and got the free upgrade that includes the speedlite. Ordered on July 7. Waiting for battery to finish charging. The camera feels very solid and is heavy. Almost weighs as much as my Canon Rebel XT (350D) but still is lighter than my 7D.

Paid a visit to Adorama Rental today hehe

tino

Banned
RX100 - $568
RX100 II - $765
NEX5N + 2 kit lens - $900
NEX6 + 2 kit lens - $1016
XE1 + 18-55 - $1168
GX1 + 2 lens kit - $699

I would go with
RX100 - $568
GX1 + 2 lens kit - $699
These 2 first. If the GX1 deal has a pancake fixed lens than pick that over RX100. Otherwise take you pick.

Normally I would take the 5N/R over the GX1, but the NEX bodies are over priced over there. So I would skip them.

XE-1 deal is not overpriced. Its actually lower than the US price. It's a lot of gears for the money. So that would be my secondary choice.

Or you can go with the RX100 Mark II

leng jai

I would go with

These 2 first. If the GX1 deal has a pancake fixed lens than pick that over RX100. Otherwise take you pick.

Normally I would take the 5N/R over the GX1, but the NEX bodies are over priced over there. So I would skip them.

XE-1 deal is not overpriced. Its actually lower than the US price. It's a lot of gears for the money. So that would be my secondary choice.

Or you can go with the RX100 Mark II

The RX100 II is actually my first choice. The RX100 is great value but the I really need the tilted screen and wifi. I'm just concerned I'll be too limited when it comes to macro/bokeh shots with it.

I've actually warmed a lot to the XE1 since the price is pretty decent as you said and I've basically no use for video. Is the EVF good on it?

The combo is an interesting take too - I never thought of it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom