• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
god AdoramaPix may be one of my favorite things ever.

4 20x30's, ordered yesterday, arriving today in LA, for way less than getting them printed locally ($88 including expedited service and next day air). Especially great if you have a color-managed workflow.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Just got my Canon EOS M (18-55), Speedlite 90EX and lens hood.

tXWwI7I.jpg

And a carrying case that's a little too big. :)

For maybe 7 years or so I've been die hard SLR user, and my main camera has been the Nikon D300 with the older Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 lens. That has been a great setup for everything I do except at mobility. I've been eying mirrorless cameras since their introduction but decided against APC mirrorless because the cameras and lenses would not be too large a combination and against the Nikon 1 due to the lack of depth of field because of the tiny sensor (and I wanted more resolution than 10mp).

Well last weekend I finally had the money and found a (nearly) perfect combo of body and lens. Got a Panasonic GF3 with the 14-42mm power zoom lens. This combination gives me a large 4/3 sensor and a decent range zoom lens that is pocketable (depending on how loose the jeans are). The eBay'er I got it from had been holding onto it since black friday and they listed it for a price that was too good to pass up, and I can justify taking with me on my motorcycle up into the mountains with out too much worry.

The good: I shoot only RAW and the picture quality from the camera is pretty good for a camera that came out in 2011. The image sensor is not quite as sensitive as the D300, but should be quite suitable for what I want. The build quality is quite good for the camera body, and the mechanical shutter sounds and feels nice. The lens sharpness is just fine, it wont win any awards, but it also probably wont disappoint. The auto focus is also super fast in anything other than a dimly lit room (at least with the PZ). The touch screen works pretty well as well.

The bad: The in lens image stabilization is the only thing I found disappointing about the lens. I found it gives only 1 or 2 "stops" of stabilization which would make it the least effective on lens or in body stabilization I've ever used. I've even found the Nikon 18-55 and 55-200mm VR lenses to be 2-4 "stops" effective. The camera UI is also a bit disappointing, and it's taken me since Monday to finally get used to it, and adjusted to my liking.

So for anyone looking for a ultra compact Micro 4/3 setup, I can say for sure, get the 14-42mm PZ lens because of it's compact size, then get the camera body you want. In the future I will probably upgrade the body to one of the newer more "enthusiast" class cameras or when I can get the Olympus OM-D for cheap.

For laughs, here it is next to my D300

The x zoom actually performs fairly well on the OM-D. Also, the sensitivity difference between the GF3 and OM-D feels like at least two generations.

However, that Gf3 body is so tiny and great as a take anywhere camera. Buy the 20 mm or 14 mm ($160 on EBay de-kitted) for a great low light package.

mrkgoo

I don't understand the 9oex. Why but an attachment for essentially a built in flash? Can you bounce it? If so disregard.

I specifically did NOT want the flash. I imagine my 43oex works with it. It fits and looks ridiculous though.

tino

Banned
I don't understand the 9oex. Why but an attachment for essentially a built in flash? Can you bounce it? If so disregard.

I specifically did NOT want the flash. I imagine my 43oex works with it. It fits and looks ridiculous though.

You really don't need the flash or any large lens on this body.

If I really need flash, I will use the YN560 and the remote trigger from Yongnuo.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Congrats! Any impressions to share?

I only got to play around with it for a little bit, but here goes:

1. Build quality is superb; it feels more solidly constructed than some of Canon's DSLRs--not the high end stuff, mind you.

2. New firmware works as advertised, rendering most of the reviews for this camera obsolete.

3. Video mode is fantastic. No surprise there.

4. Menus are familiar, which is a good thing. Not too sure how I feel about the "creative filters," but the black and white one is nice at the very least.

At $349.00, I really can't think of anything negative to say. It takes gorgeous pictures and the compact size is wonderful for those who don't want to lug around their DSLRs. I just don't have many complaints about it at all. Although, it would have been nice to have 2 card slots--I know, a bit ridiculous. ;)

cjdunn

I only got to play around with it for a little bit, but here goes:

1. Build quality is superb; it feels more solidly constructed than some of Canon's DSLRs--not the high end stuff, mind you.

Indeed. It feels like a metal brick (in a good way).

I've been carrying it around this week with either the 22mm or the 40mm (with adapter) doing casual shots. Pretty impressed with the design.

Now I need to delve into the settings...

2. New firmware works as advertised, rendering most of the reviews for this camera obsolete.

Makes you wonder what happened to the algorithm the first time around that made it screw up AF. At least I'm glad that it's not the sensors or the motors that's at fault. Can't fix that with a firmware update.

I might start to tell people looking at their first mirrorless to take a look at the EOS M.

(._.)

Banned
I've heard shooting in RAW is really useful during low light settings and in like dark bars and clubs. is this true? If so what's a good plug-in for PS or light room to manage RAW?

I've heard shooting in RAW is really useful during low light settings and in like dark bars and clubs. is this true? If so what's a good plug-in for PS or light room to manage RAW?

Yes, RAW is preferable for tricky lighting situations. LR works with RAW natively, and PS does too via Adobe Camera RAW.

mrkgoo

Makes you wonder what happened to the algorithm the first time around that made it screw up AF. At least I'm glad that it's not the sensors or the motors that's at fault. Can't fix that with a firmware update.

I might start to tell people looking at their first mirrorless to take a look at the EOS M.

I don't think they screwed up. I think it really is a limitation in hardware as well, but they're doing some tricks in software to make up for it. Probably skipping on certain features, or reducing accuracy and stuff to speed up AF.

tino

Banned
I don't think they screwed up. I think it really is a limitation in hardware as well, but they're doing some tricks in software to make up for it. Probably skipping on certain features, or reducing accuracy and stuff to speed up AF.

The different between the AF speed of XPro-1's launch firmware to the current firmware is huge too.

Anyway the Japanese like to swap patents so I expect by the current gen, every mirrorless system have proper hybrid AF technology

mrkgoo

The different between the AF speed of XPro-1's launch firmware to the current firmware is huge too.

Anyway the Japanese like to swap patents so I expect by the current gen, every mirrorless system have proper hybrid AF technology
Yeah, that new tech from the 70d looks made to be put into the mirror less.

leng jai

Is the RX100-II actually in the wild yet? I'm thinking of just getting the RX100 though since the price has dropped by $100 in Australia. Anyone know how much better the RX100-II is just by looking at the specs?

Is the RX100-II actually in the wild yet? I'm thinking of just getting the RX100 though since the price has dropped by $100 in Australia. Anyone know how much better the RX100-II is just by looking at the specs?

It's starting to pop up in online stores. IQ wise the only advantage the II will have is a bump in low-light performance due to the backside-illuminated sensor. I haven't seen real-world comparisons, only sensor analysis.

The only real reason to spend the additional money would be whether or not the hotshoe, WiFi, and adjustable LCD are of any value to you.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I need a 20x30 inch gallery wrapped canvas print. Where would you guys suggest I order one to get a decent price and quick turn around?

I could do it, but i'm out of canvas.

Labs I would recommend
Bayphoto
WHCC

I would stay away from places like canvaspop, ordered a canvas from there and everything about it was cheap.

Wellscha

Posting from a thread I made, not knowing about this thread.

Hello DSLR GAF,

The birthday of a very good friend of mine is coming up in a month's time, and I'd like to buy him a DSLR camera. The problem is, I have no idea what to buy him. He mostly uses his iPhone camera and accumulated over 200GB of photos in the last 4 years. Lately, he's been complaining about color reproduction, fuzzy-ness and ghosting when ever he points and shoots with his phone.

So I want to get him a camera that would blow his mind with picture quality, very easy to use, not bulky, and would last him for years to come (just buying lenses).

Oh, and no more than $600 please.

Thanks.

East Lake

Like someone else said in the thread you made there's a good chance it'll just sit in his closet somewhere after you buy it. Photography can be a pretty involved, inconvenient, and expensive hobby in comparison to camera phone shots.

tino

Banned
$600 can get you

* RX100 mark 1
* new NEX-5R kit
* EOS M + kit zoom + flash on B&H and buy the 22 pancake for 130 ish on ebay
* Add $100 extra for the X M-1 kit
* Some m43 kit I am not familiar with, maybe the Panasonic GX1 kit
* whatever Canon/Nikon DSLR kit you can get for $600

In that order

$600 can get you

* RX100 mark 1
* new NEX-5R kit
* EOS M + kit zoom + flash on B&H and buy the 22 pancake for 130 ish on ebay
* Add $100 extra for the X M-1 kit
* Some m43 kit I am not familiar with, maybe the Panasonic GX1 kit
* whatever Canon/Nikon DSLR kit you can get for $600

In that order

I'd suggest checking each and every option out there listed by Tino if possible. How compact do you want the kit to be? If compactness is all that matters, it's probably best to get a feel of them in person.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Gonna be shooting at the Importfest (car show) in Toronto next weekend and Im gonna be renting out a lens. Thinking of going wide. But some have suggested 24-70 as well.

SO, which 1 of the holy trinity lenses should I rent out?

either the 14-24mm or 24-70mm ;)

Thraktor

Gonna be shooting at the Importfest (car show) in Toronto next weekend and Im gonna be renting out a lens. Thinking of going wide. But some have suggested 24-70 as well.

What camera are you using? (More pertinently, is it APS-C or full frame?) If full frame, then I'd go with 24-70, as its much more versatile (it'll allow you to get detail shots at the 70mm end)

What other lenses do you already have?

What is a great point and shoot camera to start off with? I don't want to get a dslr right now, far to expensive to get something that I might/might not like.

I also don't want to spend a lot on a point and shoot because if do end up loving photography than I want to have some extra cash to pick up a better camera down the road.

So far I am most tempted to get the Nikon COOLPIX P330, quite affordable and from what I hear is a fairly decent point and shoot. Is this an okay starting point?

Groof

I've almost spent a week traveling around Ireland now, and it's been the first time I've really gotten to put my NEX-5R to the test, so to speak, and I've got to say, I'm more than pleased with the performance I've gotten. It's quick, responsive and extremely portable which makes taking those rare split second moments all the more viable. The standard 18-55mm lens has been decent enough for the kind of photography I've been doing, but I could definitely see myself getting a proper zoom or wide angle lens for the beautiful vistas Ireland has to offer.

Battery life in the other hand was decent at best, but left something to be desired. I've been getting approx two full days of use on one charge, but by the end of the second day I had to use it sparingly.

Either way, just wanted to share how great I find this camera and thank you guys again for pushing me toward it!

You can pay 250 for a S100 or300 for a LX7. Or 350 for a S110. Make sure sensor size is 1/1.7" or larger.

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to go with the Lx7, a friend of mine said that between the ones you mentioned and the Nikon there really isn't that much of difference but between all of them Lx7 will be a good start.

Aurongel

Just got a stuck blue pixel on my "new" 60D's LCD screen. The camera bodies that the Canon official dealers on eBay sell are probably just repackaged refurbs after all.

(._.)

Banned

I would get the 14-24. If you have a 50mm/35mm prime just take that and move your feet to get the shots you need. Sounds like you will be able to get 90% of everything with a prime since you're just shooting things on the ground and you can probably walk up to most of them at a car show. I owned a 24-70 and I just got tired of it's weight and how I didn't find it much more useful than a 50mm.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Anybody know of any sites with Lightroom post-processing tips/tutorials?

it would be more helpful if you told us what kind of tutorials you were looking for and or what kind of photos you're looking to edit?

that said, if you want to spend money, these guys are really good. http://store.luminous-landscape.com...in_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=292

this has ten quick easy tips
http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials...easy-lightroom-tricks-every-user-should-know/

typically I just google whatever i'm looking to do, there's a wealth of knowledge on teh googles.

leng jai

I'm so torn right now between getting the NEX-6 or waiting for the RX100 M2. JBHifi is offering the NEX6 with 16-50mm + 55-210mm Twin Lens Kit for $1016AUD which seems like a pretty good deal. The RX100 M2's street price will be about $800AUD when it becomes available here.

I know I'll probably end up using the RX100 a lot more due to the size and convenience but I love playing around with DOF which would point to NEX6. I am also in love with the EVF.

Thoughts?

i'd go with the NEX if it's going to be your only camera.

the new fujifilm X-series firmware is a goddamn revelation. my X-E1's AF is now faster and more accurate than it was on my NEX-7, even with the previously useless 60mm 2.4. also excellent to finally get focus peaking. excellent work from fuji.

RuGalz

Question for the Fuji owners.

Do you pretty much shoot in Jpeg?

If you shoot Raw, how is the noise, dynamic range, etc compared to other brands of APS-C cameras that you may have worked with and which cameras would that be?

I've worked with raw files from different camera brands or sensors. They all have different characteristics. I've never worked with Fuji before. If judging solely based on DxOMark's sensor score, it's nothing too special even though it's a totally different design. Not knocking on the camera or anything because sensor performance isn't everything and it definitely can take beautiful photos. But I'm more curious if it's the jpeg engine that people like so much -- in some ways, similar to Oly -- or if it's something about the sensor output that isn't directly measured by the matrix.

i shoot jpeg because the colours and control thereof are fantastic and i'd much rather get it right in camera to avoid processing. never felt that way before using fuji, as the gulf between RAW and jpeg was just too much, but my X-E1 produces incredible jpegs with next to no effort. i used an NEX-7 before this and there's just no comparison at all.

dxomark metrics are pretty much meaningless with x-trans — the noise has totally different characteristics, for example. you don't really see straight-up chroma noise on x-trans at all.

tino

Banned
DxO intentionally avoid testing of all Fuji XTran sensor (as well as many best-of-the-class lens) becuase its a very bias site. What are you talking about scores? There is no score.

Just go to flickr and see ISO 6400 for yourself.

As for jpeg and auto white balance, I never need to change the settings on the XE1. Only change the film mode from time to time.

Fox1304

Snagged a few weeks ago a Nikon J1 with accessories and 10-30 + 30-110mm.
Can't wait to buy both the 10mm Pancake and the 18.5mm 1.8/f.
This thing is snappy, and really a joy to use. For the price I paid, I'm more than happy with the purchase !
Any of you have experience with the Nikon 1 lenses and/or the Canon EOS adapter ?

Is it worthwhile to get the default Sony lens kit with the NEX6 or just buy the body and different lenses separately?

The powerzoom kit is really expensive (I'm not sure if people are unloading them for cheap on ebay), so if you think it's a lens that you think you may use, you'll need to get it in the kit. The quality is comparable to the 18-55mm kit lens and it's obviously smaller, but it also makes the camera slower to power on and off. You'd probably be able to make money off selling it regardless of whether or not you intend to use it.

Question for the Fuji owners.

Do you pretty much shoot in Jpeg?

If you shoot Raw, how is the noise, dynamic range, etc compared to other brands of APS-C cameras that you may have worked with and which cameras would that be?

I've worked with raw files from different camera brands or sensors. They all have different characteristics. I've never worked with Fuji before. If judging solely based on DxOMark's sensor score, it's nothing too special even though it's a totally different design. Not knocking on the camera or anything because sensor performance isn't everything and it definitely can take beautiful photos. But I'm more curious if it's the jpeg engine that people like so much -- in some ways, similar to Oly -- or if it's something about the sensor output that isn't directly measured by the matrix.

On my x100 I shoot RAW. I like to PP, so going in and adjusting isn't too much of an issue and I'd rather have that info present and then export as JPG if need be.

RuGalz

DxO intentionally avoid testing of all Fuji XTran sensor (as well as many best-of-the-class lens) becuase its a very bias site. What are you talking about scores? There is no score.

Just go to flickr and see ISO 6400 for yourself.

As for jpeg and auto white balance, I never need to change the settings on the XE1. Only change the film mode from time to time.

Well, you can't take DxO's numbers and use it as the only source to compare sensors but it's still a useful tool, as least for sensor rating imo. The way the scoring works is definitely biased toward certain characteristics. Again, it's one metrics to look at but not the whole picture. Otoh, their lens rating has too many variables you still need to consider for the numbers to be worthwhile.

This page shows a sensor score for X100.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pu...0-DxOMark-Review/Fujifilm-X-100-vs-Sony-NEX-5

It's hard to tell how many EVs I can push from shadow or how much highlight needs to be controlled by looking at PP'd image. Noises from high iso can be PP'd in so many ways just looking at resulting picture doesn't really tell me everything.

From what I have seen it has an excellent Jpeg engine. Too bad I don't know anyone with a Fuji around me to play around with.

On my x100 I shoot RAW. I like to PP, so going in and adjusting isn't too much of an issue and I'd rather have that info present and then export as JPG if need be.

What do you use to PP the raw files? Was wondering, if it's not too much trouble, maybe you could share with me a raw and a jpeg processed by the camera (of the same scene) to play with?

Edit: Never mind, I forgot dpreview has raw file samples.

tino

Banned
I want the RX100Mk2 but I know it will basically be the same as what I already have and my gf will give me shit about wasting money.

You should live up to your official Sony fanboy lifestyle and get the top end Sony body ;) Just tell your GF high end bodies depreciate very slowly. Say where is the "Honami" phone I have been waiting for?

Well, you can't take DxO's numbers and use it as the only source to compare sensors but it's still a useful tool, as least for sensor rating imo. The way the scoring works is definitely biased toward certain characteristics. Again, it's one metrics to look at but not the whole picture. Otoh, their lens rating has too many variables you still need to consider for the numbers to be worthwhile.

This page shows a sensor score for X100.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pu...0-DxOMark-Review/Fujifilm-X-100-vs-Sony-NEX-5

X100 is the only Fuji body that has the traditional bayer sensor. All later bodies have non bayer "XTRAN" sensor. This is the sensor that other RAW processing software have (had?) problems with. If you want to buy X100, then whatever works with the old Sony 12mp sensor will work. People didn't buy the X100 for its low light performance anyway.

Please don't make your purchase decision base on DxO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom