• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
The RX100 II is actually my first choice. The RX100 is great value but the I really need the tilted screen and wifi. I'm just concerned I'll be too limited when it comes to macro/bokeh shots with it.

I've actually warmed a lot to the XE1 since the price is pretty decent as you said and I've basically no use for video. Is the EVF good on it?

The combo is an interesting take too - I never thought of it that way.

The EVF is good. The new firmware has improve the AF alot.

If you narrow down to these 2 choices. The main thing is you have to try the XE1 yourself and find out if the size is acceptable to you. XE1 is basically what you can carry out every weekend. RX100 is what you can carry out everyday.

leng jai

If you narrow down to these 2 choices. The main thing is you have to try the XE1 yourself and find out if the size is acceptable to you. XE1 is basically what you can carry out every weekend. RX100 is what you can carry out everyday.

Thanks for all the tips. The XE1 doesn't seem to have a tilt-able screen which changes things a little. I guess it comes down to how well the RX100 M2 can do macro shots and alter its DOF for bokeh. I really have no idea with the comparisons.

tino

Banned
Thanks for all the tips. The XE1 doesn't seem to have a tilt-able screen which changes things a little. I guess it comes down to how well the RX100 M2 can do macro shots and alter its DOF for bokeh. I really have no idea with the comparisons.

Go to flickr and search "rx100 flower" and then "fujifilm 18-55mm flower". Or try the keyword "closeup".

leng jai

Go to flickr and search "rx100 flower" and then "fujifilm 18-55mm flower". Or try the keyword "closeup".

The RX100 bokeh and macro flower shots look pretty ridiculous. The XE1s are better but I don't think it's worth the extra size and price at this stage.

Didn't realise the RX100 was capable of that. Most of the shots look better than the ones I've seen taken with the NEX 6.

The RX100 has nice bokeh when your subject is really close to you. Remember that it's only 1.8 at the widest angle so you can't really get much using the zoom. Also the minimum focusing distance is like 2 inches at the 28mm equivalent but it is like 8 inches before you even get up to 35mm and the biggest aperture is 2.8 at 35mm.

leng jai

The RX100 has nice bokeh when your subject is really close to you. Remember that it's only 1.8 at the widest angle so you can't really get much using the zoom. Also the minimum focusing distance is like 2 inches at the 28mm equivalent but it is like 8 inches before you even get up to 35mm and the biggest aperture is 2.8 at 35mm.

Most of that is gibberish to me but I get the jist. I usually like super close ups of random objects so it look the RX100 II should do okay.

I'm assuming the old Gariz half cases won't fit the M2 since it's a few millimetres thicker?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Moving soon and thinking of buying my first camera in a few years. Kind of torn between getting a Ricoh GR1 again or a GRD model. Film development is kind of a hassle but every time I touch a digital camera I get really bothered by all the menu functionality. I wish there was just a Ricoh GR1 model but with an SD card slot instead of film loading.

I should kickstart this! Digital camera with no menus or LCD or etc. Think of the romanticized nonsense I could come up with!

Anyway, could probably pick up a GRD3 for ~200ish dollars. Might be my best option at this point unless I decide to rebuy an old camera I used to own like a GR1, Contax T2, blah blah.

leng jai

I so want to upgrade my beloved RX100 to one of those, but I really don't need to. >: (

Yeah there's not much difference but if wifi and tilt screen are important it would be mighty tempting :(

The fit isnt ultra tight.. but the new swivel screen might cause you some problems. Wait for them to update the case.

Yeah the screen looks like it would be unusable with the old case. The Gariz cases are slick as fuck so I hope they update them soon.

this. i have an X-E1 and an RX100 and i love both of them. the RX100's raison d'etre is pretty much to make sure that there is basically no situation in which you can't have roughly DSLR w/kit lens image quality on your person, and the X-E1 is my "serious" camera for work and going out just to shoot.

and then my X100 fits somewhere inbetween. but honestly, the RX100 is excellent for almost any kind of photo that doesn't require extreme depth of field control, and any situation in which you'd be okay without a viewfinder.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
DPReview Fuji X100S ISO 6400 samples said:
DSCF0298.jpg

DSCF7537.jpg

DSCF7777.jpg

ISO 6400. Yes please.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
idunno, looks like a lot of NR applied to those samples.

Well yeah, it's ISO 6400 and you're looking at full res files. They look better than ISO 3200 files from the X100, though (where chroma issues would start to become really significant and it often made sense to process to b&w).

tino

Banned
With the XTran sensor, I think 6400 is too much of a drop off from 3200. I only set it to Auto 6400 (and d-range 400, NR +2, film mode Velvia) when I hand it to my wife.

With 3200 however, its pretty much no different from other ISO. You don't sacrifice color reproduction. Also accurate white balance. Something you don't have to think about when you shoot modern Fuji bodies.

Looks like GX7 is rumored to have IBIS. More manufactures need to jump on IBIS.

Yep. The GX7 is not really the prettiest camera around, continuous shooting is modest for 2013 (5 fps) and JPEG engine probably the same drab one as other Lumix cameras. But aside from that, it does A LOT of things right.

Can you guys offer for a crop sensor Canon? I'm looking for a walk-around lens. Can you offer your Top 3? Something with great bokeh would be a huge plus. Budget is £400 ($600)

DagsJT

I know it's not equipment as such but can anyone recommend a good beginners book on Lightroom? I've just bought LR5 and won't have a clue what I'm doing.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Was looking at adding a wide-angle to my Canon XSi / 50mm f1.8 setup. Any recommendations?

Also, is it worth buying crop-specific lenses (like a 10-22mm) or do you all think things will eventually be split between mirrorless and full-frame?

I know it's not equipment as such but can anyone recommend a good beginners book on Lightroom? I've just bought LR5 and won't have a clue what I'm doing.

I don't know shit about LR, but in my local photo club, some guy was full of love for the Scott Kelby book. There is even a Kindle version.

tino

Banned
Was looking at adding a wide-angle to my Canon XSi / 50mm f1.8 setup. Any recommendations?

Also, is it worth buying crop-specific lenses (like a 10-22mm) or do you all think things will eventually be split between mirrorless and full-frame?

Tokina 116

(Fun fact, its the only lens available for rental on Adorama Rendal out of all three 3rd party brands.)

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Hi everyone!
I just starded learning photography... Well, it's more "keep shooting until something nice happens".
The only "problem" is that I'm using an old film camera (my mother gave it to me), so I can't really see what I'm doing right away.
But, today I developed my first film, and things went better than expected. :lol

Anyway, I wanted to ask, on my lens I have three rows of number: the first (further from the camera) is the f/stop row, the second one are the meters/feet of the focus, then I have another one, with six number (16, 8, 4, 4, 8, 16), but... What do they mean?
Looks like something that has do to with the f/stop?

Thraktor

Hi everyone!
I just starded learning photography... Well, it's more "keep shooting until something nice happens".
The only "problem" is that I'm using an old film camera (my mother gave it to me), so I can't really see what I'm doing right away.
But, today I developed my first film, and things went better than expected. :lol

Anyway, I wanted to ask, on my lens I have three rows of number: the first (further from the camera) is the f/stop row, the second one are the meters/feet of the focus, then I have another one, with six number (16, 8, 4, 4, 8, 16), but... What do they mean?
Looks like something that has do to with the f/stop?

This tells you what's in focus at a given f-stop. So, if your aperture is set to f/4, the notches marked 4 should line up with points on the distance scale to tell you what the range of focus is. Similarly for apertures of f/8 or f/16. For any other apertures you just sort of guess between those (e.g. f/11 should be about half way between f/8 and f/16).

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Tokina 116

(Fun fact, its the only lens available for rental on Adorama Rendal out of all three 3rd party brands.)

Nice looking lens, but I was able to find a well-taken care of 10-22mm on Craigslist for $585 w/ hood. I think going up to 22mm will be of more use to me than the wider aperture.

Hmm, I have an RX100 but I'm tempted to sell it for a EOS-M 22mm Kit...

The APS-C sensor in a not much bigger body is tempting, and I love the 35mm focal length.

Does anyone have both cameras?

cbox

Ugh Canon had my 7d for a month, finally going tomorrow to pick it up... I really hope it won't mess up again, grrr.

Felt like dropping off a child at camp, a month without my camera is giving me withdrawl.

Flo_Evans

Ugh Canon had my 7d for a month, finally going tomorrow to pick it up... I really hope it won't mess up again, grrr.

Felt like dropping off a child at camp, a month without my camera is giving me withdrawl.

Thats why you need more than 1 :p

Sold my 24mm 2.8D and 70-300 on ebay. Can't decide what I want next. Think I am going to get an 85mm 1.4D or maybe the 20mm ai I've always wanted.

Thats why you need more than 1 :p

Sold my 24mm 2.8D and 70-300 on ebay. Can't decide what I want next. Think I am going to get an 85mm 1.4D or maybe the 20mm ai I've always wanted.

Heh, I just picked up the 24 2.8D for some new work that came my way. Fun little lens.

My next acquisition will be the 25-50 f4 AI-S. On a huge old nikon lens binge since getting my D800, so much amazing and cheap glass out there!

Row

Banned
So I'd like to buy a lens to compliment the 18-55mm kit lens I have with my d3200. I'd like a general purpose lens, although what I do like to take photos of most is nature, wildlife, and busy street scenes. A nice wide angle lens would be best maybe, but they're so expensive and I'd like to keep my first real lens purpose within around $200. What does that leave me with, choosing between a 50mm or 35mm?

So I'd like to buy a lens to compliment the 18-55mm kit lens I have with my d3200. I'd like a general purpose lens, although what I do like to take photos of most is nature, wildlife, and busy street scenes. A nice wide angle lens would be best maybe, but they're so expensive and I'd like to keep my first real lens purpose within around $200. What does that leave me with, choosing between a 50mm or 35mm?

The 18-55 is a general purpose lens. The 35mm & 50mm f/1.8g lenses in your price range are both more specialized. None of these three lenses are good for wildlife that's actually wild (unless it's a predator about to eat you).

What do you want to do that your 18-55 can't do? There are many things it can't do, the direction you want to go in should tell you what to buy/save for.

Flo_Evans

Heh, I just picked up the 24 2.8D for some new work that came my way. Fun little lens.

My next acquisition will be the 25-50 f4 AI-S. On a huge old nikon lens binge since getting my D800, so much amazing and cheap glass out there!

Let me know how you like the 24 on the d800. I always found it kind of dull, it is cheap but I never really noticed any prime wow factor vs my wide zooms. Seemed redundant.

(._.)

Banned
There's just so much stuff I want to try out. I'm really into my x100s and I want to try out other mirrorless cameras. RX1r looks crazy.

There's just so much stuff I want to try out. I'm really into my x100s and I want to try out other mirrorless cameras. RX1r looks crazy.
Try renting. I'll never be able to afford a Leica but I've wanted to try shooting a rangefinder for a while so I'm renting one.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Dilemma time, everyone. Input appreciated:

I currently own an Olympus E-510 with two kit lenses and the 35mm f/3.5 prime lens. I have an external flash as well.

I just received, for free, a Canon T3i with the 18-135mm IS kit lens, brand new.

I only need one camera, I like the idea of being able to shoot video on the Canon, and Olympus is no longer making their 4/3rds stuff, and I am not going to by a micro 4/3rds camera any time soon.

Is the T3i that much better? I know the sensor size is bigger, but still not close to full frame. Does the 18-135 suck? Could I use an adapter to use my 35mm prime or should I just get the cheap 50mm prime from Canon?

thanks for the input!

Zyzyxxz

Looks like GX7 will be my next camera for sure. The GF2 I'm using now is just so limiting but I like the M 4/3 system so I'll be able to use whatever lenses I have at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom