• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuGalz

Pentax announced an update to their medium format digital camera using the same 50MP sensor as Hasselblad and Phase One but an order of magnitude cheaper. ($8k vs $29k vs $37k) Wish I was rich. :lol:

Radec

Pentax announced an update to their medium format digital camera using the same 50MP sensor as Hasselblad and Phase One but an order of magnitude cheaper. ($8k vs $29k vs $37k) Wish I was rich. :lol:

I thought the 654z uses the new Sony MF CMOS sensor?

Ripclawe

Banned
I got a used Samsung WB 800F from amazon and I like the features but the camera pics seems a bit soft. anyone using this line has any tips on using it correctly?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

like all photography equipment, go used.

I had an iq180 i got last year used, for less than half of what it was new when it came out. I have since sold it, but the files from it are simply amazing. I now have a D800e, and to be honest, there is a definite medium format advantage, like you the problem I have is price justification.

But eventually that iq180 will be down to 10-15k like all gear.

Deku Tree

Hello Camera-GAF!

OK so I have a very low usage Canon EOS 1ds Mark III 21.1MP SLR. I also have a EF 85mm f1.2L II USM Lens, and a EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens. BTW, the camera just got a $300 thorough Canon factory cleaning.

This stuff was a gift and so far I haven't really gotten into learning all about this complicated camera.

So I am thinking about selling. And maybe using the cash to by a mirror-less camera. Possibly a FujiFilm x100s + necessary peripheral items.

Where is the best place to sell my camera (where I can get the best price while taking the minimal risks and selling it without too much fuss)? (I am not on ebay.) How much should I try to get for this equipment? Thanks!

diaspora

Hello GAF!

OK so I have a very low usage Canon EOS 1ds Mark III 21.1MP SLR. I also have a EF 85mm f1.2L II USM Lens, and a EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens. BTW, the camera just got a $300 thorough Canon factory cleaning.

This stuff was a gift and so far I haven't really gotten into learning all about this complicated camera.

So I am thinking about selling. And maybe using the cash to by a mirror-less camera. Possibly a FujiFilm x100s + necessary peripheral items.

Where is the best place to sell my camera (where I can get the best price while taking the minimal risks and selling it without too much fuss)? (I am not on ebay.) How much should I try to get for this equipment? Thanks!

$1500+ for the 85mm, the 1Ds Mark 3 is going for $2000-$2500 used, and the 24-105 can be bought for $800-1000.

edit: Try ebay?

TBH, mirrorless doesn't really matter. Just trade down to a used 6D and if you have enough leftover cash get a Ricoh GR for something more portable.

Zyzyxxz

Hello Camera-GAF!

Holy crap you got that stuff as a gift?

Fred Miranda IMO is the best place to sell camera gear for no fuss because sellers have to pay in order to use their selling forums. I've bought and sold from there in the past with no problems at all.

Deku Tree

$1500+ for the 85mm, the 1Ds Mark 3 is going for $2000-$2500 used, and the 24-105 can be bought for $800-1000.

edit: Try ebay?

TBH, mirrorless doesn't really matter. Just trade down to a used 6D and if you have enough leftover cash get a Ricoh GR for something more portable.

Thanks! What do you like about the Ricoh?

Holy crap you got that stuff as a gift?

Fred Miranda IMO is the best place to sell camera gear for no fuss because sellers have to pay in order to use their selling forums. I've bought and sold from there in the past with no problems at all.

Thanks! Do you know how much Fred Miranda costs to sell?

diaspora

I personally prefer the 28mm focal length. That combined with the snappy shutter delay, solid dynamic range, small size, APS-C sensor, really reasonable price, and great low-light flexibility makes it one of the better compact cameras out there. While I will always prefer my 6D over compacts or m4/3 due to the battery life the GR is a really good companion camera.

Zyzyxxz

Thanks! Do you know how much Fred Miranda costs to sell?

It depends on how long you want to be active you do it for a few weeks, months, or years. For how much money you will get for your gear it's chump change for the security of finding buyers who won't fuck around with you and know what they are buying.

I have 35mm color film that expired in 1994. can it still be shot with decent results? what can I expect shooting it at box speed? any recommendations on how to shoot it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just noticed the adobe Creative Cloud photography offer, as I upgraded to the latest lightroom and was curious about lightroom mobile.

First I was annoyed that lightroom mobile required a CC subscription, but the offer does seem pretty good.

In the UK its £8.78 per month and that gives you access to photoshop CC, lightroom and lightroom mobile - along with 20GB online storage and some other stuff.

Considering a copy of lightroom 5 is about £100, which is roughly the same as the monthly sub, but you get photoshop as well, it seems pretty good value? offer runs until May 31st and you don't need to own any previous adobe products to qualify.

I have 35mm color film that expired in 1994. can it still be shot with decent results? what can I expect shooting it at box speed? any recommendations on how to shoot it?

I used some colour film that was expired more than 15 years and got some sort of greyish haze that was absolutely tolerable.
Maybe you shouldn't use it for important wedding pics or your dream holiday in Thailand, but it will be okay for a walk on a cemetery or street photography, I guess. I'd give it a slightly more open aperture, around 2/3 EV.

RuGalz

like all photography equipment, go used.

Yea, I generally get my gears used but I think I can only justify MF if I were making money with photography.

Considering a copy of lightroom 5 is about £100, which is roughly the same as the monthly sub, but you get photoshop as well, it seems pretty good value? offer runs until May 31st and you don't need to own any previous adobe products to qualify.

It is good deal because their current offering all kind of suck. I really don't feel like I need to be tied in for a life long subscription. It was still cheaper when I was able to choose when I need to upgrade the software.

Andeeeh

it also has a video mode which is really interesting. Those samples on the Pentax website are really quite incredible coming from a camera with a MF sensor for 8k.

MRORANGE

just noticed the adobe Creative Cloud photography offer, as I upgraded to the latest lightroom and was curious about lightroom mobile.

First I was annoyed that lightroom mobile required a CC subscription, but the offer does seem pretty good.

In the UK its £8.78 per month and that gives you access to photoshop CC, lightroom and lightroom mobile - along with 20GB online storage and some other stuff.

Got a link for this?

DBT85

Purchase of new gear will have to be delayed a few weeks as the house sale is delayed :(

List is now at
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro
New monitor, either Dell 3014 or Eizo EV2736W (maybe 2). Still weighing up.
Manfrotto 324RC2 head for my tripod.

Also will be starting "The Art of Photography" course form the Open College of the Arts. Never went to Uni so this is going to be a big challenge for me to complete just this first course. Lots of writing which I don;t have a problem with, but lots of analysis of mine and others work which I think I'm going to struggle with.

DBT85

If you wanted to know everything that Photoshop can do then its less of a curve and more of a cliff.

But with Lightroom's tools the amount of work people are doing in Photoshop is dropping. I only use it very rarely now.

milkham

The original one was awful, so I'd be a bit wary of this one.

I own the original camera and I agree it was awful. this seems more promising but after that I'm extremely hesitant to lay down the money even with 20% discount for owners of the previous camera.

Radec

The new Lytro Illum

4586423805.jpg

$1499

Tekniqs

hey guys, if I can get a fuji x100 with the firmware update for a decent price, should I spring for that? Or are the improvements in the x100s worth the extra money?

DBT85

Do you have a hardware colour calibrator? If not add one and then fill a nice monitor in with the remaining budget.

I have a Spyder 3 Pro.

Still deciding if I need a wide gamut display (30“) or not. I'm not at the kind of level where I'm going to notice the difference by a long shot. But the Dell is at least 16:10 which the Eizo isn't.

captive

I have a Spyder 3 Pro.

Still deciding if I need a wide gamut display (30“) or not. I'm not at the kind of level where I'm going to notice the difference by a long shot. But the Dell is at least 16:10 which the Eizo isn't.

I have a Dell 2711 and I have to say for the money the dells are the best. The Eizos are so fucking expensive.

The dell is wide gamut and after calibration my prints from my Epson 7900 match it perfectly.

I used some colour film that was expired more than 15 years and got some sort of greyish haze that was absolutely tolerable.
Maybe you shouldn't use it for important wedding pics or your dream holiday in Thailand, but it will be okay for a walk on a cemetery or street photography, I guess. I'd give it a slightly more open aperture, around 2/3 EV.

what do you mean by 2/3 ev? over expose it by two extra stops on my camera?

DBT85

I have a Dell 2711 and I have to say for the money the dells are the best. The Eizos are so fucking expensive.

The dell is wide gamut and after calibration my prints from my Epson 7900 match it perfectly.

Well the Dell's I'm looking at are £600(27") & £1000 (30"), both wide gamut, while that Eizo is £570 but not wide gamut.

I've seen some comments that the Eizo deals with the IPS glow better too but that model can't be hardware calibrated in the LUT like the Dell 3014 can.

East Lake

Probably two thirds of a stop. It's probably going to be hard to recommend without knowing the type of film. Lots of people shoot expired slides or Portra or something so there's a decent amount of feedback on how much to overexpose but if it's not a common film it's harder to guess how to adjust.

Yup, I believe the rule for decently stored film (i.e. fridge or freezer stored) is overexpose one stop for every 8-10years out of date or so. If it's been stored in a car boot since 1994 it could be a real crap-shoot for what you get out of it.

You could get some nice "arty" colour shifts.

captive

Well the Dell's I'm looking at are £600(27") & £1000 (30"), both wide gamut, while that Eizo is £570 but not wide gamut.

I've seen some comments that the Eizo deals with the IPS glow better too but that model can't be hardware calibrated in the LUT like the Dell 3014 can.

if it cant be hardware calibrated I wouldnt even consider it, while pretty good the Apple Cinema displays have no physical controls to calibrate with.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Leica t 701 site is up

http://leicarumors.com/2014/04/23/leica-t-website-now-live.aspx/

LEICA-T-DETAILS-KOMPATIBEL-MIT-SYSTEM-1_teaser-crop-480x320.png

Leica-T-System-hero-teaser_teaser-653x484-550x407.png

"A large APS-C sensor with 16.5 megapixels ensures colour fidelity, the finest details and pictures with exceptional brightness and clarity, even in unfavourable lighting conditions. And even on large-format screens. And for pin-sharp videos in full HD resolution. Top performance at the press of a button. Fast, precise and almost silent autofocus. Exactly like the newly developed image processor, which instantaneously displays the results on the big touchscreen display.

Read more on LeicaRumors.com: http://leicarumors.com#ixzz2zkYfo51w

Why can't they just update the M8 at a reasonable price for us non filthy rich folk that want to use digital rangefinder :/

Edit: Guess it was made live by accident before the big reveal..oops

Looks like the baby of a Nex and a samsung camera. The X vario looked better imo

Grabbed a Nikon 75-150 f3.5 Series E lens off craigslist today for 50 bucks. REALLY nifty lens, very light and compact. Really looking forward to trying it out as a street photography lens. Should be more manageable than the 200mm f4 lens I was using earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom