• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

I just threw up.

ewwwww.jpg

The cleaning runs every time you turn the camera off and I've done it through the menus a few times, but I've had the camera since 2009 and never cleaned it with a kit or sent it anywhere.

I guess it could be my lenses as well.

tino

Banned
because it's an expensive piece of equipment! and I can just draw in the meantime....

so it's easy? What's the best kit?

A modern SLR sensor has a protective layer, and a IR filter on top of it. Just get the swab kit and swab away.

Funny story. I got the genuine swab kit way before my Sony NEX3 got dirty. And by the time the camera got dirty 2 years later, I had already lost the water bottle in the kit so how. But the body has lost so much value by that time I just got a cheap ebay kit to clean it.

Zyzyxxz

I just threw up.

ewwwww.jpg

The cleaning runs every time you turn the camera off and I've done it through the menus a few times, but I've had the camera since 2009 and never cleaned it with a kit or sent it anywhere.

I guess it could be my lenses as well.

Time for a professional clean or possibly do it yourself? But for such an expensive camera I'd just pay someone to do it.

alterno69

Banned
Fuck me i'm excited, i was checking out this stores website cause even tho teir prices are regularly above average in Mexico, they usually have nice promos, last year i bought my 5d Mark III kit from them for like $3,500 USD, well, check this out here , i don't know how on earth is that price even possible, as you can see they are selling the 5D MKIII kit for $1,850 USD, i placed an order as soon as i saw that earlier today, i hope they honor it, will be checking out the status regularly. If they indeed honor that price, holy shit.

MRORANGE

So a new A7 will be announced today:

- a7s
- 12MP
- 4k video
- Will go against the GH4

I bet it's going to be gimped somehow on coded or audio support.

Leak of first aps-c leica mirrorless camera.

I don't understand the market for this, anyone getting a Leica would get the M series, anyone wanting something small would get the X series.

Also rumors of Full Frame X-PRO 2 in 2015.

Ty4on

Christ it goes up to ISO 409,600? Wonder what that looks like....

12MP Sony sensor so I'd imagine it looks similar to the D4s.
12774646883_8c4d0fbbc5_b__largest-no-more-than-580x630.jpg

I had a hard time finding decent sample shots. Without any noise processing it seems to look hilariously noisy. Like with the crop K5 I still don't see why people hate the possibility for very high ISO. It's better than not having the option and can when resized and processed make some surprisingly decent images.

Edit: Super late, but I forgot that the D4s (plural) were 16MP...

Flo_Evans

because it's an expensive piece of equipment! and I can just draw in the meantime....

so it's easy? What's the best kit?

its pretty easy. IDK about the best but I ordered this and it worked great on my D600 (notorious dirty sensor) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PNGM18/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You just put it in lock mirror up for cleaning in a nice dust free room with good light (might use a flashlight) put a few drops on the swab and gently swipe it a few times.

Takes like 5 minutes.

Personally I'd rather do it myself then let some camera shop bro who doesn't really care about my sensor do it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Jesus, camera tech moves so fast lol

I don't understand the market for this, anyone getting a Leica would get the M series, anyone wanting something small would get the X series

God that is one ugly looking camera if true. I don't understand why Leica just doesn't make their own "x100" or xpro type camera. You can still charge 7,000 grand for the full frame M and charge maybe 1,500-3000 for aps-c that looks like an m2 or m4. go for that non filthy rich demographic.

Leak of first aps-c leica mirrorless camera.

I don't understand the market for this, anyone getting a Leica would get the M series, anyone wanting something small would get the X series.

Looks like it came from a Panasonic factory, and looks pretty much like Leica's product line outside of the M. They're all hilariously expensive, underfeatured travel cameras for out-of-touch men over 40.

DagsJT

How "pocketable" is an X100? Obviously not likely to go into trouser pockets but a jacket pocket? Just noticed it's actually heaver than my Panasonic G10 (albeit without the kit lens) so not sure how great that'll be...

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
How "pocketable" is an X100? Obviously not likely to go into trouser pockets but a jacket pocket? Just noticed it's actually heaver than my Panasonic G10 (albeit without the kit lens) so not sure how great that'll be...

Hmm, maybe if you have trench coat or something like that. The lens with the adapter and hood sticks out. Not as much as a dsl or a nex but I wouldn't call pocketable. I keep it under my jacket like a shoulder bag, no one would now you have it until you shoot.

Easier to carry tho than my old Nex 5 because of the smaller lens, esp without the hood.

diaspora

It isn't pocketable really.

DagsJT

Cheers. Looks like I'll get the LX7 from DigitalRev next week then.

That or the X20. A little concerned about the RX100 being TOO small to the point where, even with a Franiec grip, it's not great to hold and I'd be terrified passing the camera to someone in case they dropped it while taking the camera.

But then so many reviews and blogs are saying the RX100 is by far the best compact camera.

Decisions, decisions.

x100 is totally jacket-pocketable, probably more so than an X20 because the lens doesn't stick out as much. plus it looks cool if you wear it around your neck, unlike basically any other camera.

i'd never buy anything like an LX7 these days. get an RX100 if size is your priority.

DagsJT

x100 is totally jacket-pocketable, probably more so than an X20 because the lens doesn't stick out as much. plus it looks cool if you wear it around your neck, unlike basically any other camera.

i'd never buy anything like an LX7 these days. get an RX100 if size is your priority.

Edited my post as you posted. You're not the first here to suggest leaving the LX7, but surely the excellent lens compensates for the smaller sensor?

Going to keep an eye on some RX100's on eBay and see what comes up.

Groof

So how scared should I be about ordering lenses through eBay? Considering it's so much cheaper it's very tempting, but can things like these be trusted?

darkwing

Cheers. Looks like I'll get the LX7 from DigitalRev next week then.

That or the X20. A little concerned about the RX100 being TOO small to the point where, even with a Franiec grip, it's not great to hold and I'd be terrified passing the camera to someone in case they dropped it while taking the camera.

But then so many reviews and blogs are saying the RX100 is by far the best compact camera.

Decisions, decisions.

I put a thin neck strap for my RX100, just get it, I have been to HK, SG with it, replaced my bulky DSLR bag

hitsugi

So how scared should I be about ordering lenses through eBay? Considering it's so much cheaper it's very tempting, but can things like these be trusted?

For the most part, I think so. I've been very pleased with my recent Sigma 30mm purchase.

milkham

buy from a reputable seller,
if its just a person and not a mega-store seller, i'd look for actual pictures of the lens instead of stock pics

Groof

For the most part, I think so. I've been very pleased with my recent Sigma 30mm purchase.

I've never had a problem with it. Buy from someone with a lot of good feedback

buy from a reputable seller,
if its just a person and not a mega-store seller, i'd look for actual pictures of the lens instead of stock pics
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Guess I'll start looking into this more seriously then, it's crazy how much cheaper it is.

RuGalz

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Guess I'll start looking into this more seriously then, it's crazy how much cheaper it is.

If it's new, depends on the brand and the lens, in some cases, you basically lose warranty. Sometimes it's cheap because it was taken out from a kit. Make sure their return/exchange policy is reasonable too because you could get a dud.

DBT85

In September when my replacement camera (D7000 stolen with all my kit from my house) came, I also ordered a Black Rapid sport strap. Work's been manic, and my wife ended my marriage, so not been out hardly at all.

This weekend just gone I had the strap on all day on Saturday and Sunday while going around Winchester and Beaulieu (UK) and it was so much more comfortable! It was a little weird just letting the camera go at my side at first but you gradually get used to it, and it was much easier on my shoulders and I could grab the camera at any time. Highly recommended.

With my house sale money coming at the end of the month (fingers crossed!) I've decided to treat myself to the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 Nikon lenses. Something I could not justify when I had a mortgage and bills to pay but with those all gone and a pocket full of coin, what the hell!

If new then I don't bother. If I want to save money I order from Digital Rev. Got my 12-28mm Tokina f/4 from them in August and had no problems at all.

If used, then I've had about 4 from Ebay and all were perfectly fine, as described and from decent sellers.

tino

Banned
Sorry about the wife.

If you are getting the pro zooms anyway IMO the 14-24 "big light bulb" is still the best out of Nikon's zoom lineup.

DBT85

Sorry about the wife.

If you are getting the pro zooms anyway IMO the 14-24 "big light bulb" is still the best out of Nikon's zoom lineup.

Don't be, happier now than I've been in years :)

I'm sure that's true about the 14-24mm, but I do already have the 12-28mm Tokina. After that the only other zoom I have is the 18-200mm VRII. My other lenses are a Nikon 30mm f/1.8 and Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro.

If I actually start getting my gear out as often as I hope then the 14-24 will probably come in time.

I've a few photos I really like but I've never really used my gear enough and with a new life some things are changing :)

This weekend just gone I had the strap on all day on Saturday and Sunday while going around Winchester and Beaulieu (UK) and it was so much more comfortable! It was a little weird just letting the camera go at my side at first but you gradually get used to it, and it was much easier on my shoulders and I could grab the camera at any time. Highly recommended.

i'm from winchester. just wanted to say that!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Question about getting photos onto an iPad for previewing. I have a 700d shooting RAW+JPG and can't find clear information on how the two different apple offerings work (lightning to SD card and lightning to USB)

I just want to bring in the jpgs to share with family etc while on holiday, leaving the much larger raws on the SD card until I get back home. But some comments seem to suggest that iPhoto imports both raw and jpg from the SD card. Can anyone confirm this? If I use the camera connector kit will that be any different?

Starting to wonder if I should get a toshiba or transcend wifi card, but that wouldn't help for photos I've already taken.

Groof

Handled an a6000 for a short bit today (barely had any juice) and it felt great in hand. Grip was big enough for my medium sized hands. Evf seemed pretty good as well, but I don't have much experience with those.
Wish they had a silver version as well so I could've compared the two.

DagsJT

Just physically checked out some camera's at a local store. I knew the RX100 was small but wow, didn't expect THAT small. And then I saw the GM1....

I had a period where I considered the X20 and that felt really nice to hold but the RX100 is just that bit better. A shame the RX100 isn't as good ergonomically.

Groof

Speaking of which, would the Nikon S1 for £150 be good for a p&s travel camera for someone who doesn't care much about technical camera stuff?

DBT85

Just physically checked out some camera's at a local store. I knew the RX100 was small but wow, didn't expect THAT small. And then I saw the GM1....

I had a period where I considered the X20 and that felt really nice to hold but the RX100 is just that bit better. A shame the RX100 isn't as good ergonomically.

I need to have a fondle of the RX100 and the RX100 II. I've heard so many good things about those cameras and one would be great for those times when lumping an SLR around just ins't practical.

DagsJT

I need to have a fondle of the RX100 and the RX100 II. I've heard so many good things about those cameras and one would be great for those times when lumping an SLR around just ins't practical.

Yep, I'm looking at them as my Panasonic G10 is just too heavy around my neck so looking forward for something smaller and lightweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom