• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Rumor of a Leica APSC mirror less system in coming? So Leica has sold enough X1 that they want to double dip with an interchangeable lens version? Not sure if I want to believe this rumor.

Donos

Finally rebought the Sony SEL1650 PZ (used) after selling it two times unused (to get more money while selling my NEX-5N and NEX-5R). Had no problem with the size of the 1855 but after running around with the compact 30mm Sigma, i want the jacket pocket size of the PZ 1650.

Now i wanted to sell the SEL1855mm and, -fuck-, there is a tiny hair/lint in the lens, right under the glass, if you look from the front. That wasn't there a week ago. If you shoot into the blue sky, it's slighty visible on the picture.

The lint is in a spot where i can't even hope to move the lint a bit with a can of compressed air. Probably also a bad idea to use compressed air in a lens at all.

The lens is now worth half of what i wanted to sell it for, or even less :(

Is there somewhere that explains the crop that occurs on 3rd party lenses when used with APS-C sensors? I want to look at some older lenses (and I currently have a 50mm Takumar ) for my NEX-5 and am just wondering how the math shakes out.

You multiply by 1.5x. 50 is 75mm and it's the same conversion for all lenses not just third party. ;)

Thanks! I wasn't sure how it all shook out. I'm new to this. I got the Takumar lens and I think it's quite swell, but I wasn't prepared for how restricted the field of view was on my camera.

No. Its just a giant P&S.

In other rumor news. The next Canon G camera may have a 1" sensor. If this is true, serious high end P&S camera war.

Ha, never noticed that, looked like an interchangeable lens. Wonder how much they sell of those.

1" sensor would be great for the next G, if they can keep the lens the same size as it is now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So we were in NYC and being in NYC I had to go to B&H. I had heard great things about it, and it did not disappoint.

For those of you that have been this will look familiar for those that havn't, its awesome.

These tracks go throughout the store. When you talk to a clerk and want to buy something it comes up from the basement on the track, under the table, right to where the clerk is sitting . They then write it up and send it back in the box to the checkout area. Its really awesome.

The entire store is one NYC block and its two stories. The staff were extremely helpful too.

No. Its just a giant P&S.

In other rumor news. The next Canon G camera may have a 1" sensor. If this is true, serious high end P&S camera war.

surely the G1 X mkII is that already, except with an even bigger sensor? can't imagine anything bulkier competing with or undercutting the RX100.

So we were in NYC and being in NYC I had to go to B&H. I had heard great things about it, and it did not disappoint.

For those of you that have been this will look familiar for those that havn't, its awesome.

These tracks go throughout the store. When you talk to a clerk and want to buy something it comes up from the basement on the track, under the table, right to where the clerk is sitting . They then write it up and send it back in the box to the checkout area. Its really awesome.

The entire store is one NYC block and its two stories. The staff were extremely helpful too.

Thank you for the impressions. I didn't know that they're SO huge. Next trip to NY in autumn will be a good opportunity to visit them.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I went to J&R instead and that was a very disappointing experience.
yea I also stopped by J&R cause it was right near World Trade Center, not impressive at all.

Thank you for the impressions. I didn't know that they're SO huge. Next trip to NY in autumn will be a good opportunity to visit them.
its pretty awesome.

I wonder if they built the tracks with the money they saved from refusing to promote women or minorities.

Wow I guess I can't get photography equipment anywhere then. Amazon mistreats their employees worse than Walmart, B&H apparently doesn't promote women or minorities, Best Buy is overpriced and doesn't have stock of anything really worthwhile, my local photography stores are vastly overpriced, I'm sure there's something wrong with Adorama too.

Start a new thread if you want to bitch about them.

tino

Banned
I wonder if they built the tracks with the money they saved from refusing to promote women or minorities.

LOL. I still prefer Adorama. It has more of a family business feeling. Before B&H moved to their current location and turned itself all Disney mega storey, 99% of their clerks were all dressed in stereotypical Brooklyn Jews' dress with skullcap and curly hair and shit.

LOL. I still prefer Adorama. It has more of a family business feeling. Before B&H moved to their current location and turned itself all Disney mega storey, 99% of their clerks were all dressed in stereotypical Brooklyn Jews' dress with skullcap and curly hair and shit.

not even sure why this matters.

East Lake

Wow I guess I can't get photography equipment anywhere then. Amazon mistreats their employees worse than Walmart, B&H apparently doesn't promote women or minorities, Best Buy is overpriced and doesn't have stock of anything really worthwhile, my local photography stores are vastly overpriced, I'm sure there's something wrong with Adorama too.

Start a new thread if you want to bitch about them.
Just a joke lol I don't care if you buy their stuff. ;)

.GqueB.

Banned
GAF baby I need you...

After messing around with my friends camera over new years, I've finally decided to jump into this world as I've been casually considering it for a while now. Just looking for some guidance.

I've read the last few pages and it seems like the fuji x100 is what I'm leaning towards. Size, look, and price wise it's along the lines of what I've been looking for. Just curious if it's good for a beginner since it has no zoom. The camera I used last year had some converted lenses on it and had a fixed zoom and no auto focus but I still loved using it. Was just curious if this was a good camera to learn on or if I should be looking elsewhere.

For some initial research, I put 'Fuji x100 vs' into Google to see what would pop up. Two Leica's that are hilariously out of my price range but also the Canon G1 and the Olympus EP3. Just wanted to see what you guys thought since the advice here is a bit more personal and I'm sure you guys have been playing with these cameras forever.

GAF baby I need you...

After messing around with my friends camera over new years, I've finally decided to jump into this world as I've been casually considering it for a while now. Just looking for some guidance.

I've read the last few pages and it seems like the fuji x100 is what I'm leaning towards. Size, look, and price wise it's along the lines of what I've been looking for. Just curious if it's good for a beginner since it has no zoom. The camera I used last year had some converted lenses on it and had a fixed zoom and no auto focus but I still loved using it. Was just curious if this was a good camera to learn on or if I should be looking elsewhere.

For some initial research, I put 'Fuji x100 vs' into Google to see what would pop up. Two Leica's that are hilariously out of my price range but also the Canon G1 and the Olympus EP3. Just wanted to see what you guys thought since the advice here is a bit more personal and I'm sure you guys have been playing with these cameras forever.

Go for the x100. Like you said the only issue would be zoom capability. What do you plan to photograph?

Likely in-studio portraits. Some street shots (I live in NYC). Now that you mention it, what is it NOT good for? I didn't really think about that.

It's the best camera I've ever used for street photography. I find that limiting my ability to zoom isn't really an issue. It won't be the best camera for portraits as the focal length isn't really designed for that so you may be limited in its use in that regard. I, alonhg with many others gush over it for a reason. It is just a fun camera to shoot.

I read it as they were a small time jewish business before they went to a big corporate stale atmosphere. You know who are actually bigots?
B&H

Wait, now I am sort of confused. I can see how the original post reads that way, but then the whole Saturday thing is REALLY confusing.

.GqueB.

Banned
It's the best camera I've ever used for street photography. I find that limiting my ability to zoom isn't really an issue. It won't be the best camera for portraits as the focal length isn't really designed for that so you may be limited in its use in that regard. I, alonhg with many others gush over it for a reason. It is just a fun camera to shoot.
Silly question time: you can't switch out the lense, correct?

tino

Banned
??? Adorama is closed on Saturdays too. This really just boils down to you not liking how Jewish they look.

Every camera store in NYC close on Sat (not counting Best Buy). I was just making a comment on how funny they look. (And the current B&H store has a lot less funny looking Jews working at the sales compare to 15 years ago, for some reason)

Flo_Evans

Likely in-studio portraits. Some street shots (I live in NYC). Now that you mention it, what is it NOT good for? I didn't really think about that.

Don't get an x100 then. It is an excellent street/travel camera but portraits are just not its strong suit.

Silly question time: you can't switch out the lense, correct?

It's fixed yes, but they do have a lens attachment for about $300 that converts it to 28mm and they are releasing another one that puts it at 50mm. The rumor is another one is in the works as well. The aperture doesn't change either so you still get that great 2.0 f-stop.

.GqueB.

Banned
It's fixed yes, but they do have a lens attachment for about $300 that converts it to 28mm and they are releasing another one that puts it at 50mm. The rumor is another one is in the works as well. The aperture doesn't change either so you still get that great 2.0 f-stop.
I assume that would help with in-studio shots? Also, I'm a designer so I'd have to photograph some of my work. Product shots, layouts. Along these lines:

1.jpg

Denim-Wine-Carousel2.jpg

I assume that would help with in-studio shots? Also, I'm a designer so I'd have to photograph some of my work. Product shots, layouts. Along these lines:

If you are considering it for studio work, I would look at something with interchangeable lenses. What is your budget?

.GqueB.

Banned
If you are considering it for studio work, I would look at something with interchangeable lenses. What is your budget?
Around $700 give or take. Also looking to use it on the go so bulkiness is an issue. Maybe some party shots and the like but that's way less important.

Around $700 give or take. Also looking to use it on the go so bulkiness is an issue. Maybe some party shots and the like but that's way less important.

Yeah, I'm thinking an x100 wouldn't suit your needs. Unfortunately, I can't help you with anything else much as I haven't dabbled in owning any other system besides Canon DSLR's and I think those would be too much camera and price for you. I love Fuji though and their mirrorless stuff is amazing and what I would get if I was looking for something small but provides interchangeable lens choices. Someone on here could probably speak better to it or recommend something else from other companies.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yeah, I'm thinking an x100 wouldn't suit your needs. Unfortunately, I can't help you with anything else much as I haven't dabbled in owning any other system besides Canon DSLR's and I think those would be too much camera and price for you. I love Fuji though and their mirrorless stuff is amazing and what I would get if I was looking for something small but provides interchangeable lens choices. Someone on here could probably speak better to it or recommend something else from other companies.
No worries. Thanks for the input.

tino

Banned
No worries. Thanks for the input.

700 can get you a used XE1, and a new 35mm/1.4 for 400.

Or you can get an used Nikon DLSR body and a 35mm/1.8 and a couple hundred dollars left for studio lights.

You can also consider a 60mm macro lens for studio purpose only.

.GqueB.

Banned
700 can get you a used XE1, and a new 35mm/1.4 for 400.

Or you can get an used Nikon DLSR body and a 35mm/1.8 and a couple hundred dollars left for studio lights.

You can also consider a 60mm macro lens for studio purpose only.

Oh that looks QUITE nice. Gonna stop by B&H and check some of these bad boys out. Good to have an idea going in.

Update: So apparently this setup is on sale at B&H and Adorama. B&H deal ends April 5th but I'm not sure about Adorama.

Steal of a deal?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any suggestions for a budget point and shoot for a child? Perhaps with wifi so she can easily view results on a computer. Would be for my daughter's 10th birthday, and so far she's managed with an old crappy smartphone which isn't any good.

I can get an ixus 132 for £60 which seems great value but it seems to be quite noisy, and I'd expect a lot of her shots to be indoors. Plus no wifi.

Any suggestions for a budget point and shoot for a child? Perhaps with wifi so she can easily view results on a computer. Would be for my daughter's 10th birthday, and so far she's managed with an old crappy smartphone which isn't any good.

I can get an ixus 132 for £60 which seems great value but it seems to be quite noisy, and I'd expect a lot of her shots to be indoors. Plus no wifi.

Disclaimer: I don't know shit about that camera, but my niece got one of them and shoots a lot with it. Lens starts at 2.5 which isn't too slow and it has got WiFi built in. Maybe you like to google some flickr results of it.

Samsung DV151F

Futureman

5D II here.

My sensor is EMBARRASSINGLY dirty. Like holy hell. Obviously more obvious on some photos than others.... but it looked real bad. I'll post a pic later.

Can you send to Canon and pay to have it cleaned? or is there good 3rd party company? I'd rather not buy a kit.

Flo_Evans

5D II here.

My sensor is EMBARRASSINGLY dirty. Like holy hell. Obviously more obvious on some photos than others.... but it looked real bad. I'll post a pic later.

Can you send to Canon and pay to have it cleaned? or is there good 3rd party company? I'd rather not buy a kit.

Why would you want to be without your camera for weeks for a 5 minute job?

.GqueB.

Banned
I am a Fuji fanboy here so if you ask me its a no brainer.

Yea I'm leaning toward that camera pretty hard right now. Either that or the Canon 60D but I prefer the size of the Fuji. Have you used that particular Fuji model? Any overt downsides? I've already heard the video isn't stellar but that isn't a big deal.

tino

Banned
Yea I'm leaning toward that camera pretty hard right now. Either that or the Canon 60D but I prefer the size of the Fuji. Have you used that particular Fuji model? Any overt downsides? I've already heard the video isn't stellar but that isn't a big deal.

I have the same body (and 5 lens)

+ Fuji color
+ accurate white balance anywhere you shoot, no need to shoot raw
+ small
+ very cheap f/2.8-4 sandard zoom. Its even cheaper than 3rd party ones
+ slightly better low light noise than the competition due to lack of low pass filter

AF is not slow for the zoom. It could be a bit slow for the 35mm and very slow for the 60mm, all the other newer lens are not slow

- flash system is ok, not as advance as C/N
- after applying all the latest firmware on the body and lens, it could be 10-15% slower than the comparable Nikon/Canon with a f/2.8-4 mid class zoom or the Sigma f/2.8 zoom (I am comparing to these lens because the CN 2.8 zooms are WAY out of your budget and way heavier. I am not comparing to the Olympus 2.8 zoom either since its also more expensive. But keep in mind it could be slower than a Olympus EM5
- lack of low end lens option. Fuji basically make 2 low end kit zoom and a cheap pancake. after that, all the rest of the lens are mid-high end amatur lens. The upcoming zoom lens are aiming for the prosumer segment too. So you know what you are getting into.
- raw converters not as easy to use. I don't shoot raw so this is what I have heard.

Thats all the minus I can think of for now.

diaspora

5D II here.

If you're in Canada, any Henrys would be able to clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom