• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsugi

Also you can always get a cheap Sigma 30mm 2.8 (gen1 has same quality as the newer model) an see how you like the shooting prime. Costs around 100 $new / 70 $ used. It's only a bit longer than the 1650 (off) so it still fits in jacket pockets.
It's pretty sharp. If you don't like it than the SEL35 is not worth it.

I used the Sigma all the time in the last couple month and left the 1650PZ at home.

I agree with this. Jumping in on a $400 lens can be difficult. The Sigma 30 mm 2.8 is a solid lens with remarkably good value right now, and I haven't used my 1650PZ since I received it.

If I could afford Sony's 35mm 1.8, I would give it a shot.. but I can't.

Donos

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards picking up the camera with the 1650 and also grabbing the Sigma 30mm 2.8 prime. Being $200, I don't think I can justify buying the 35mm for more than twice that just yet, and the reviews for the Sigma are pretty encouraging.

Donos, where did you see it being sold for $100?
Also, is there some website for buying used lenses other than ebay and the other usual options?

Ah, sorry, the prices i wrote are for Europe, so € and not $. I paid 75 € for my Sigma, but like i said, not the new one. This one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078ZYBP0/?tag=neogaf0e-20.

Good place to get one are the largest photography forum which always have a used market. Buy stuff from members with at least a dozen post. I don't know what the biggest NA photography forum is.

I bought my NEX-6 used on the biggest german forum (dslr-forum.de) and sold my 5R there without problems. If you are careful, ebay is also quit good but i don't buy thinks when they don't have proper pictures and use stock photos.

DBT85

Ok folks, my pc is now ready after some upgrades. 30" Dell 3014, 32 GB ram, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO. All my photos are now on it.

In the next few days I'll book my OCA course and start my first degree course at 29, and order the extra bits I'm after. Namely Nikon 24-70mm & 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 105mm Macro, tripod head, x rite calibrator for the monitor and lastly the TTG WordPress plug in for Lightroom to go with the others which I already have. All together by far the largest investment I've ever made in a hobby and all due to my recent divorce!

RuGalz

^ sorry for your divorce but congrats on all that gear. Don't forget setting up a way to backup photos (among other things). My favorite is CrashPlan.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
This has turned into quite a frustrating experience. My nikkor 300f4 stopped autofocusing. Before that though it stopped and then started working again after i let it sit, then stopped completely even after letting it sit for several days. Even tried it on a friends D800. Sent it back to B&H, they call me and the dude is like "hey we tested this lens on like 20 cameras and it worked fine on all of them." But after I said it didnt work on either mine or my friends D800s he said he would exchange it anyway. Well it came friday, and its the super old version of the 300f4, the design thats as old as me. And it doesnt fit on the TC14II, which is just fantastic.

DBT85

Well I'm now officially a Photography student at the Open College of the Arts. My box with my materials in should hopefully arrive this week!

Donos

Well I'm now officially a Photography student at the Open College of the Arts. My box with my materials in should hopefully arrive this week!

Why go to college for this? Ipad and Instagram is all you need for cool pix!! #comeatme

Congrats. If i had too much money, i would take a bunch of photography courses and just travel the world the whole time and take pictures of everything (and browse gaf from my phone ;).

DBT85

Well I was just about to order my 70-200mm from MPB photographic as they got one in in mint condition for £1350. Everything from them comes with 6 month warranties so I thought I'd save a few hundred.

Then I noticed that John Lewis are doing it brand new for £1580 and it comes with a 2 year warranty (Nikon standard is only 1 year). It'll cost me a little more but for an extra 18 months on the warranty I'm going to do that. If it was only the normal Nikon 1 year then I wasn't so fussed.

John Lewis are cheaper than WEX and the same price as Jessops, but both only offer the 1 year warranty.

24-70mm arrives tomorrow!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Well I was just about to order my 70-200mm from MPB photographic as they got one in in mint condition for £1350. Everything from them comes with 6 month warranties so I thought I'd save a few hundred.

Then I noticed that John Lewis are doing it brand new for £1580 and it comes with a 2 year warranty (Nikon standard is only 1 year). It'll cost me a little more but for an extra 18 months on the warranty I'm going to do that. If it was only the normal Nikon 1 year then I wasn't so fussed.

John Lewis are cheaper than WEX and the same price as Jessops, but both only offer the 1 year warranty.

24-70mm arrives tomorrow!

This is the time for you to very rapidly make friends with someone (anyone) who works at Waitrose and take advantage of their staff discount at John Lewis.

DBT85

This is the time for you to very rapidly make friends with someone (anyone) who works at Waitrose and take advantage of their staff discount at John Lewis.

I may or may not have a cousin who may or may not work at one of the stores.

He/she may or may not being enquiring about using the discount online and how much they get for this item.

EDIT: In the meantime, my 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikon, course materials, joystick tripod head and monitor calibrator arrived :D

Radec

If you like free stuff, you're gonna want to make your way to Times Square on Wednesday, June 4th. Samsung's hosting a "Ditch Day" event from noon to 6PM, letting you trade in a digital SLR (any DSLR) for a brand-new NX30 mirrorless camera, "while supplies last." Samsung reps were unable to confirm the number of cams on hand, so if you want the best chance of getting $1,000 worth of free loot, you might want to queue up early. Alternatively, if you can't get your hands on a DSLR worth "ditching," you'll still be able to walk away with a coupon for 50 bucks off a Samsung cam, such as the NX Mini or Galaxy Camera 2, both of which will be on hand for you to try out at the event in NYC.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/28/samsung-ditch-day-nyc/

Groof

How is the Tamron 18-200 for E-mounts? There's a site selling one second hand for a very good price. Only thing that has me worried is the state of the lens.

DBT85

Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 plus circular polarizer coming tomorrow! Could not be more excited to try it out in Yosmite next week.

Very nice!

I really should look at the comparison images from the 35mm 1.4 and the 18-35 1.8. I know the 18-35 is DX only but that's not a problem for me and my D7100!

Ty4on

Very nice!

I really should look at the comparison images from the 35mm 1.4 and the 18-35 1.8. I know the 18-35 is DX only but that's not a problem for me and my D7100!

Dayum, the 35mm 1.4 looks like it is sharp enough to saturate the D7100. Considering the D800 has pretty much the same pixel pitch as a 16MP APS-C sensor you could have something insane like a 54MP full frame sensor and get even more detail. Shame about the gigantic files because you could otherwise have a camera that could take advantage of the best lenses both for full frame and APS-C. Maybe a mode that downsampled four pixels into one could help aid the burst rate and buffer size.

DBT85

Dayum, the 35mm 1.4 looks like it is sharp enough to saturate the D7100. Considering the D800 has pretty much the same pixel pitch as a 16MP APS-C sensor you could have something insane like a 54MP full frame sensor and get even more detail. Shame about the gigantic files because you could otherwise have a camera that could take advantage of the best lenses both for full frame and APS-C. Maybe a mode that downsampled four pixels into one could help aid the burst rate and buffer size.

Yeah they are getting a lot of praise for those 35mm and 50mm 1.4s, and the 18-35mm 1.8. I now wonder how long till the big boys bring out their own 1.8 zooms at twice the price!

Ty4on

Yeah they are getting a lot of praise for those 35mm and 50mm 1.4s, and the 18-35mm 1.8. I now wonder how long till the big boys bring out their own 1.8 zooms at twice the price!

I hope to see more glass with that performance at that price. The insane price for fast glass is making me want FF because in the long run with older lenses it'll be cheaper :p

It boggles my mind that the MFT lenses are the pretty much the same price. You have to double the aperture to get the same DoF and noise performance and then a 12-35 f2.8 turns into a 24-70 f5.6. The Sony A7 kit lens is in other words faster and only adds 300$ to the kit price.

DBT85

Columbo on the OCUK forum bought a cheap (under £30) 10 stop ND and posted some pics, didn't show any colour cast. The pics he shared were 9 2/3 stops apart.

He bought from ebay but the same people have a real shop so I bought one from them. £28 posted for a 77mm!

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/camdiox-nd1000-filter-1069-c.asp

Pics were RAW and just converted with no corrections or edits.

Pics below

no filter. 11mm, f8, ISO50, 1/200th
DSC01456.jpg

with filter. 11mm, f8, ISO50, 4 secs.

And a 30 second exposure, againw ith no cast

EDIT:

The 70-200 2.8 :D Picked up from John Lewis on Oxford St. Why can't all shops serve me like John Lewis :(

Groof

How is the Tamron 18-200 for E-mounts? There's a site selling one second hand for a very good price. Only thing that has me worried is the state of the lens.

Decided to just go for it. ~$120 for it. Figured I couldn't pass it up, 6 month warranty included even though it's used.

Omzz

hey guys just needed some advice. have a canon t2i.

my brothers wedding is coming up and was thinking of looking into a new lens. the kit lens just doesnt quite do it so was looking into something where the pictures would turn out a bit better. nothing professional, there are people for that. but would like some for myself too. any suggestions would be great

BJK

hey guys just needed some advice. have a canon t2i.

my brothers wedding is coming up and was thinking of looking into a new lens. the kit lens just doesnt quite do it so was looking into something where the pictures would turn out a bit better. nothing professional, there are people for that. but would like some for myself too. any suggestions would be great

If you're looking for more reach, the 85mm f/1.8 is a pretty popular portrait lens. The low aperture should give you more flexibility to shoot indoors, which would help for a wedding.

Canon has the refurbished version on sale for a few more hours.

Beyond that, it'd help to have more of an idea what you're looking for (sharper picture, more reach, better low-light / less noise, etc.), or what you like to shoot other than the wedding before we can help.

---
Waiting for my 200 f/2.8 to ship from the same refurbished sale - my first L lens! Can't wait to shoot some sporting events with it.

This is a cross-post from OT — somebody pointed me to this awesome thread!

----------
I need advice, GAF.

Right now, I own a Canon EOS 50D I won in a contest a little more than four years ago. It's the camera that introduced me to photography and I have loved owning and using it.

But I don't know if I should keep it.

I currently own three lenses: the 50mm f/1.8, the 18-55mm f/3.5 kit lens from a Rebel, and the 28-135mm f/3.5 lens that came with the 50D. Nothing spectacular and the auto-focus on the 50mm has stopped working.

Meanwhile, the biggest hurdle I face as an improving photographer is simply taking pictures. I need to take lots more of them. The problem — the Canon DSLR is just so big and heavy. I'm very limited in where I can take it. I also can't afford top tier lenses.

What's the alternative?

I'm falling in love with the idea of a Sony NEX-6 or a6000. Both are much smaller and lighter, both have a bigger sensor than the Canon's 15.1 megapixel, and both take near DSLR quality pictures. The issue, then, is affordability.

I can only buy the Sony if I sell my Canon. But am I foolish to part with a full-fledged Canon DSLR for a mid-range mirrorless camera? Is the tradeoff even a factor considering my skill set and type of pictures I take?

TL;DR I have a Canon EOS 50D DSLR I may sell for a Sony NEX-6 or a6000 — thoughts?

This is a cross-post from OT — somebody pointed me to this awesome thread!

----------

TL;DR I have a Canon EOS 50D DSLR I may sell for a Sony NEX-6 or a6000 — thoughts?

Mirror-less cameras have come a long way in the last few years. Those mid-range mirror-less cameras are arguably better than your EOS 5D (at least if you just look at the specs).

If you want a more compact system, the NEX and even the a6000 are actually very affordable for what they offer and these days you can find very good deals. Also, an advantage of the e-mount is that there are all sort of adapters that allow you to use DSLR lenses.

Mirror-less cameras have come a long way in the last few years. Those mid-range mirror-less cameras are arguably better than your EOS 5D (at least if you just look at the specs).

If you want a more compact system, the NEX and even the a6000 are actually very affordable for what they offer and these days you can find very good deals. Also, an advantage of the e-mount is that there are all sort of adapters that allow you to use DSLR lenses.

This is awesome. Thank you so much!

Omzz

If you're looking for more reach, the 85mm f/1.8 is a pretty popular portrait lens. The low aperture should give you more flexibility to shoot indoors, which would help for a wedding

Beyond that, it'd help to have more of an idea what you're looking for (sharper picture, more reach, better low-light / less noise, etc.), or what you like to shoot other than the wedding before we can help.

hmm not really looking for more reach, but then again i dont know whats best for me. the kit lens doesnt have that crisp image i want

so yes wanted a sharper image when i'll be taking wedding pictures. but would 85mm be ideal for the situation? im a total noob to dslr stuff, plus customizing im still clueless over. tbh plain and simple im totally lost lol

DBT85

hmm not really looking for more reach, but then again i dont know whats best for me. the kit lens doesnt have that crisp image i want

so yes wanted a sharper image when i'll be taking wedding pictures. but would 85mm be ideal for the situation? im a total noob to dslr stuff, plus customizing im still clueless over. tbh plain and simple im totally lost lol

Have you considered hiring a nice lens for the day? Hire is usually very reasonable and you get to play with new toys without needing to remortgage lol.

85mm is a lovely length on your camera but I think you might find it quite restrictive, especially if you've not used a prime before.

Where are you based?

Lain

I'd like some advice on a digital camera to buy, since I'm completely clueless about this stuff.
What are the specs I should pay attention to, when looking at them?
I'd need one that could take some well defined pictures even indoor with bad lighting conditions, with a price range between 100-200€ max.

Omzz

Have you considered hiring a nice lens for the day? Hire is usually very reasonable and you get to play with new toys without needing to remortgage lol.

85mm is a lovely length on your camera but I think you might find it quite restrictive, especially if you've not used a prime before.

Where are you based?

if such a thing is possible i would not mind, but preferably would like to purchase one. im in ontario, canada. would have to take a look if there are any places like that.

Aurongel

The 85mm would give you extra reach over the kit lens in addition to better AF and build quality but it might be restrictive for you if you don't regularly shoot with primes. It's very difficult to use indoors on a crop body and during a wedding you might find your mobility restricted (limiting your options further). This is why it's important that you scope out the venue beforehand so you know how best to approach the gear you plan on shooting with. For some instances, 85mm will be perfect in others not so much.

Apart from that, it DEFINITELY has the image quality you're looking for. It's the sharpest piece of glass I own and it's been on sale a lot recently.

Some examples:
14249860812_944cfac90a_z.jpg

14251771424_ae6365de85_z.jpg

DBT85

I'd like some advice on a digital camera to buy, since I'm completely clueless about this stuff.
What are the specs I should pay attention to, when looking at them?
I'd need one that could take some well defined pictures even indoor with bad lighting conditions, with a price range between 100-200€ max.

Don't get bamboozled by megapixels. As for a camera in that range with decent low light performance, I don't really know. There are so manyout there but I don't know enough about them to offer any help here.

if such a thing is possible i would not mind, but preferably would like to purchase one. im in ontario, canada. would have to take a look if there are any places like that.

If you buy what kind of budget would you be looking at?

For reference for you, from lensrentalscanada.com (one of many I'm sure) you could hire the 24-70mm f2.8 for 4 days for $89. Or a 24-105 f4 for 4 days for $63.

The only issue with those lenses is that you'll probably not want to give them back.

Donos

Vadernoooo.jpg

Now i got a little lint in my Sigma 30mm F2.8... same size and same spot as it was in my now sold SEL1855 (got 50 € for it)...almost in the middle of the lens glass. That's what i get for carriyng my camera and lens everyday with me in my Incase DSLR sling pack and tossing other stuff into the bag too.

Going to keep the camera and lens in my sling bag but now i'm going to put them both into little lockable transparent bags.

Maybe it's going to move a bit to the border of the lens somehow...

Can't imagine buying a 1000€ high end lens and then getting lint/dust/dirt into the lens.

Found quite a few old 35mm and other format cameras and lenses while spring cleaning.

Thought I'd share.

The Pentax belonged to my Grandfather and the Chinon to my Grandmother, no idea on the rest of it though.

I was given all of this by my grandmother shortly before I started college back in the late nineties. I only took the Pentax along with me. I remember it being a great camera to learn 35mm with.

The rest of it I haven't used. It stayed in my parents attic until it was transferred over to where I am now.

I don't doubt that they are in dire need of a cleaning and servicing.

No idea what I'll do with them though.

Hello all! This is my first post in the thread and wanted to say hi!

I've decided to start trying to take better photos, and have invested in a Sony NEX-6 camera. I'd like to find a telephoto lens for shooting nature photography, but want to stick more towards entry level for now.

Is the Sony - 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens a good starting point?

I have $275 in Best Buy gift cards, so it would be an incredibly inexpensive lens to go with the kit lens that I currently have.

Thoughts?

Also, for the people who have been shooting for some time: If you could go back in time and give yourself advice when you starting out, what would it be?

BJK

Also, for the people who have been shooting for some time: If you could go back in time and give yourself advice when you starting out, what would it be?

I haven't been shooting nearly as long as some of the posters here, but I would recommend that you start using the semi-automatic settings (shutter priority, aperture priority, etc.) as soon as you're familiar with the basics of how your camera works. Shooting full-automatic doesn't teach you much of anything....you're much better off learning what's important for the type of picture you're trying to take than letting the camera's logic boards guess for you.

Aurongel

...Is the Sony - 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens a good starting point?

I have $275 in Best Buy gift cards, so it would be an incredibly inexpensive lens to go with the kit lens that I currently have.

Thoughts?

On that format, the 55-250 is probably the best telephoto you'll be able to find at Best Buy for that price. A store like that won't have many other options for you. As long as you're sure you're going to need the reach and can deal with the slow ass aperture then I'd go for it.

The moment you become reliant on post processing to make your photos interesting is when you've crossed the line out of photography. I'm still very, very guilty of this.

East Lake

The Pentax belonged to my Grandfather and the Chinon to my Grandmother, no idea on the rest of it though.

I was given all of this by my grandmother shortly before I started college back in the late nineties. I only took the Pentax along with me. I remember it being a great camera to learn 35mm with.

The rest of it I haven't used. It stayed in my parents attic until it was transferred over to where I am now.

I don't doubt that they are in dire need of a cleaning and servicing.

No idea what I'll do with them though.
Shoot a couple rolls with the ME Super. Thing has a huge viewfinder.

DBT85

The moment you become reliant on post processing to make your photos interesting is when you've crossed the line out of photography. I'm still very, very guilty of this.

For me, photography is about producing an image. Its not about just capturing what's in front of me. People spend hours preparing ideas, staging, lighting, so why should post be any different?

If it's excessive work on every photo then maybe, but so long as you get the image out in the end it's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom