• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky77

The moment you become reliant on post processing to make your photos interesting is when you've crossed the line out of photography. I'm still very, very guilty of this.

I think there is a line between post processing a raw file to edit some stuff, levels, curves and make it look nice.. to the ones that they just take an image and the photoshop everything and their momma out and in of it.. but whatever floats anyone's boat is their photos so more power to them.

RuGalz

I finally got around to try out A7, A6000, RX1 and RX100M3. I'm sure I'm the minority on this but my biggest problem with Sony cameras in the past has always been the ergonomics. The cameras often feel unbalanced and the buttons feel awful. I'm glad it's improving even if it is not quite at the point that I'd consider spending money. Between A7 and A6000, the A6000 feels nicer and more balanced in my hand. I just wish it is slightly taller and with a slightly deeper grip. Even though I only have a medium size hand, my hand was cramping operating the menus for a good 15 minutes. Not to mention RX1... It is nice in terms of specs but it's unusable for me without some kind of grip. Packing FF into such small body sounds nice on paper, but I think there's a point where it becomes too small for the weight of the camera.

I'm not a huge fan of EVF in general, at least not yet, even though it is superior to OVF in some ways. While EVF technology is improving, the lag still bothers me. A7's EVF is clean, nice, high resolution. On the other hand, A6000's is too low resolution, and the lag is worse than A7's. (understandably so simply from price point of view) The size of EVF is a bit too small on A6000, and of course RX100M3, to feel comfortable using all the time. I fear that I'd end up poking my eye with it had someone accidentally bump into me.

I think if Sony continues to improve ergonomics and EVF. I can see myself eventually picking up a FF MILC for travel purpose (if they ever release weather sealed body and lenses). One nice FF MILC with a high quality, f2.8 normal zoom would cover 90% of travel needs. For wild life and other things where timing is more critical, I think I'll still be relying on my DSLR for quite sometime in the future.

Aurongel

I think there is a line between post processing a raw file to edit some stuff, levels, curves and make it look nice.. to the ones that they just take an image and the photoshop everything and their momma out and in of it.. but whatever floats anyone's boat is their photos so more power to them.

Adjusting curves, tones, highlights (maybe...) and color of a raw file just enhances what already existed coming straight through the lens. I draw the line with creating detail where none existed at all previously.

I'm super guilty of this because a lot of my work has a lot of artificial lens flare, clone stamping and light rays that were all added in post. My beauty photography especially is super doctored but I do a damn good job at it so no one ever bats an eye.

I finally got around to try out A7, A6000, RX1 and RX100M3. I'm sure I'm the minority on this but my biggest problem with Sony cameras in the past has always been the ergonomics. The cameras often feel unbalanced and the buttons feel awful.

Totally right there with you and I recommend Sony products to amateurs all the time. I shoot for a local animal rescue and I can't imagine trying to capture animals in motion with anything smaller/lighter than my Canon 60D. Depending on what you shoot, having that extra heft or grip to a camera body helps me be a bit more aggressive and accurate when I track my subject.

And for the record, I think 95% of all buttons on every DSLR/mirrorless ever made are shit. For some DSLR's, the awfulness of the buttons comes from the internal dampening material they use to weather seal the cameras. No Sony camera I know of has respectable weather sealing so I'm not sure what they're excuse is.

Chairhome

I'm thinking of picking up Adobe Lightroom to modify my casual pics of friends and family. I've been using Photoshop Elements so far and its done a decent job, but I hear Lightroom has some extra stuff I might be interested in. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial of Lightroom workflow or maybe even something that uses both? I see a few on youtube but not sure which are good ones to look at.

I'm thinking of picking up Adobe Lightroom to modify my casual pics of friends and family. I've been using Photoshop Elements so far and its done a decent job, but I hear Lightroom has some extra stuff I might be interested in. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial of Lightroom workflow or maybe even something that uses both? I see a few on youtube but not sure which are good ones to look at.

Adobe provides a fair amount of decent tutorial vids on their site.

http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/
http://tv.adobe.com/show/total-training-for-lightroom/

As far as non-free stuff goes, I like Scott Kelby's books and videos.
http://kelbyone.com/lightroom/

DBT85

Lightroom is more than Photoshop and Elements in that it is a library of your photos. You can do all of your keywording, organising, editing, exporting to Facebook or Flickr or just your desktop, printing etc from inside it. The image manipulation tools on a pixel level are not close to Elements or Photoshop, but general image processing, raw conversions, healing and cloning etc are all there. It's rare I use Photoshop now. Though I'm no measuring stick that's for sure!

Omzz

If you buy what kind of budget would you be looking at?

For reference for you, from lensrentalscanada.com (one of many I'm sure) you could hire the 24-70mm f2.8 for 4 days for $89. Or a 24-105 f4 for 4 days for $63.

The only issue with those lenses is that you'll probably not want to give them back.

If i would be spending that kind of money for rentals, i would much prefer just using that money towards buying something

Budget was around the $300 range so what you recommended before fit perfectly within that. So it being locked at 85mm, would that produce much of a problem? Im guessing at something like a wedding i'll be moving a lot just trying to get the frame right in the picture

sneaky77

There are a lot of youtube manuals and examples on how to do stuff as well, as what was mentioned before from Adobe tv.

Donos

What do people think of the Sony Alpha NEX 5T for $350.
Which lenses should you buy with it?
Just the body? Or with the 1650PZ ?

If you can find it, go for the 5R. It's the same modell minus NFC chip but will be cheaper.

Lenses depends on what you want shoot. The good allrounder with the best bang for the money is the often mentioned Sigma 30mm F2.8. More than half the price of Sony's SEL35F1.8, only lacking OSS but is really sharp and also still fits in the Jacket Pocket.

Deku Tree

Just the body? Or with the 1650PZ ?

If you can find it, go for the 5R. It's the same modell minus NFC chip but will be cheaper.

Lenses depends on what you want shoot. The good allrounder with the best bang for the money is the often mentioned Sigma 30mm F2.8. More than half the price of Sony's SEL35F1.8, only lacking OSS but is really sharp and also still fits in the Jacket Pocket.

Body only. The 5r and 5T appear to be exactly the same price at b&h right now. $350. Thanks. Will look at that lens.

Donos

Body only. The 5r and 5T appear to be exactly the same price at b&h right now. $350. Thanks. Will look at that lens.

Well, since you only have a body, a zoom lens to be flexible would maybe be right. The kit lens (1650PZ) is not that bad and even smaller as the Sigma when off. I don't know what your price range is but the other Sony zoom lenses (SEL1670Z) are all quite expensive and rather big (compared to the 5r/5T Body). Since the 1650PZ is the kit lens, you can get it dirt cheap new or used.

DBT85

Finally received an email yesterday from Wex Photographic to tell me they had stock of the Sigma 105mm Macro I ordered 3 weeks ago! Yissss.

GAF, my fiancee and I want a new camera to bring with us for our honeymoon to Maui in September. We're looking for ideas between $300 - $600 dollars, maybe upwards of $800. We have no interest in video recording, just looking for solid photos. I don't know much about cameras, so I'm not sure what else to include in this post. Does anyone have any recommendations or at least able to point me to a reliable website to learn more about cameras?

Really, I appreciate any help provided.

OK, so I posted the above about a month ago and you were all very helpful. I am pretty sure we will go with Tue Sony RX100 I II or III (probably II or III). My fiancee though is wondering why it is so much smaller than many other cameras in that price range, such as the Canon Rebel T5i. Is there something we're missing out on by picking a physically smaller camera (Sony RX100 III) compared to something like the Canon Rebel T5i? I cannot figure out any specific downside, but I was hoping GAF could reassure me before we dive into the Sony purchase.

What about the Sony NEX-6L/B compared to the RX100 line?

Won

OK, so I posted the above about a month ago and you were all very helpful. I am pretty sure we will go with Tue Sony RX100 I II or III (probably II or III). My fiancee though is wondering why it is so much smaller than many other cameras in that price range, such as the Canon Rebel T5i. Is there something we're missing out on by picking a physically smaller camera (Sony RX100 III) compared to something like the Canon Rebel T5i? I cannot figure out any specific downside, but I was hoping GAF could reassure me before we dive into the Sony purchase.

What about the Sony NEX-6L/B compared to the RX100 line?

Well someone can always correct me and give a more in-depth answer, but to make a long story short, sensor size is the main reason. Bigger sensor, better image quality. And the T5i and NEX have APS-C sensors I think, which is bigger.

So you trade image quality for a smaller camera. And before you get the wrong idea, the RX100 is an incredible piece of hardware that takes amazing pictures in a package that actually can fit into pockets.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

There's a trade-off. Sure, DSLRs like the T5i are more capable (given the right lenses, but that "given the right lenses" bit can add thousands to your cost. And they have a bigger sensor size, which is going to improve the image quality.

But in the whole, for day-to-day use, you'll get more and better photos out of the RX100 - simply because it is less of a pain to lug around and have with you.

A lot of good photography comes out of having a camera with you when you need it. So small is good.

Any suggestions for a case and/or strap for my X100S? Stipulations being:

1. It doesn't make me look like a tourist
2. It can fit in my backpack for when I'm not using it
3. It doesn't make me look like anymore of a hipster, as owning an X100s already does that quite nicely

Any suggestions for a case and/or strap for my X100S? Stipulations being:

1. It doesn't make me look like a tourist
2. It can fit in my backpack for when I'm not using it
3. It doesn't make me look like anymore of a hipster, as owning an X100s already does that quite nicely

I use Gordy's camera strap on my Fuji:
iMGLyFy.jpg

As for bag I use the Crumpler Pleasure Dome, size small...here's a good review on it with the X100S:

http://westendcameraclub.com/blog/2014/5/8/crumpler-pleasure-dome-for-x100s-review

It has a strong velcro belt fastener on the back of the bag if you want to connect it to an outside strap on your backpack...but it's also pretty small enough to stuff it inside too.

It's about $32 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Pleasure-Dome-Camera-PD1001-B00G40/dp/B007Q5I5OU

jokkir

What are your guys thoughts on makeshift lens hoods? Like this one I made for example:

Would it be better to just use an official lens hood or would this one work? I know that darker colours would be better so I'll paint it black later in the future

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What are your guys thoughts on makeshift lens hoods? Like this one I made for example:

Would it be better to just use an official lens hood or would this one work? I know that darker colours would be better so I'll paint it black later in the future

It'll work just fine once painted. Whether it'll survive long is another matter.

Aurongel

As long as you paint it black, it should be able to cut down on flare a decent amount. If it doesn't create any vignetting (too long for the lens) and is firmly mounted then you shouldn't have any problems really.

The only issue I have is that the clip on lens might snap off where it mounts to the phone if you drop it hard enough so it makes the lens hood seem a little pointless. I've never used one myself because it got bad reviews for the live view latency but that's what my gut instinct tells me.

tino

Banned

There are tons of after market ones on ebay.

Tonza

Sold my 5D mark II with a couple of cheap lenses and went mirrorless. I wasn't really taking the 5D with me anywhere as it was too cumbersome.

Anyways, here is my new set: (sorry about the image quality, taken with a Nexus 5)

eCa1BB3.jpg

a6000 kit and the Zeiss 32mm/f1.8 and 12mm/f2.8.
Can't wait to test those Zeiss lenses.

Groof

Sold my 5D mark II with a couple of cheap lenses and went mirrorless. I wasn't really taking the 5D with me anywhere as it was too cumbersome.

Anyways, here is my new set: (sorry about the image quality, taken with a Nexus 5)

eCa1BB3.jpg

The jelly is strong in this. Looking forward to hearing impressions and some sample photos! I was thinking of upgrading to a similar setup.

jourdy

Please post impressions of your A6000. I was tempted to get that for my fiancee but I decided to go with RX100 Mk III since I already have a Sony A7 at the moment.

On another note, does anyone here have experience with dropping a camera? I dropped my A7 with Zeiss 55mm f1.8 a couple of days ago. The UV filter shattered and the sun hood was dented. The lens and camera still works but are there anything like shock effects to look out for? I thought the lens booted up slowly at first but it might just be my imagination

RuGalz

It really just depends on how the camera hits the ground. I have dropped mine twice on concrete and nothing was affected except a little scratch on the hood.

eCa1BB3.jpg

I also have an a6000 (silver), but my budget is way smaller. Still, I was able to get a SEL35F18 and SEL2870 (equivalent to 35-105mm on APS-C) very cheap.
Now I'm hunting for a Samyang 12mm f/2 NCS CS and I'll be all set!

Hello,

Looking into getting a compact camera with a little bit more manual control, as well as good low light performance. My understanding is the RX100 would be perfect, but are there any more contenders in this class?

I'm looking to get the Mk.1 version of this camera (~$350), does the Mk.2 version offer more at an approximate $180 jump in price?

I should note that I already own a DSLR (Sony a57) and I'm looking for something that's pocketable.

tino

Banned
Hello,

Looking into getting a compact camera with a little bit more manual control, as well as good low light performance. My understanding is the RX100 would be perfect, but are there any more contenders in this class?

I'm looking to get the Mk.1 version of this camera (~$350), does the Mk.2 version offer more at an approximate $180 jump in price?

I should note that I already own a DSLR (Sony a57) and I'm looking for something that's pocketable.

Just get the Mark I. You can also get a new S110 for about 200.

Fletcher

I'm having a real dilemma, gaf. I'm looking to spend $1500 on a camera setup and am torn between 70D and a Sony A7. While I"m familiar with Canon system and am intrigued by it's video functionality, I'm really liking the full frame sensor and the form factor of the A7. I'll mainly be using it for some traveling coming up. Arrrggg

DBT85

I'm having a real dilemma, gaf. I'm looking to spend $1500 on a camera setup and am torn between 70D and a Sony A7. While I"m familiar with Canon system and am intrigued by it's video functionality, I'm really liking the full frame sensor and the form factor of the A7. I'll mainly be using it for some traveling coming up. Arrrggg

Go handle both.

Sec0nd

If you are looking into video you might want to check out the GH4 as well.

Aurongel

Why aren't the Canon 6D and 5Dmk2 options? Also, the A7's form factor is indeed impressive and attractive but it's far from portable in the ways that other mirrorless options are. It's not Nikon DF levels of huge but it's not that much more convenient than a DSLR considering lens sizes.

Ty4on

Want, for no real good reason. :lol: Too bad the only way I can probably justify for it iswait until successor come out and pick this one used.

Ming Thein Pentax 645Z Review Part I
Awesome to see a MF sensor with good noise performance. Now to wait for the mirrorless option :p
man...the a7 would be perfect, but of course trust sony to offer an underwhelming line of uber expensive lenses.
The 35mm and 55mm are expensive because they're very high quality. The 55 has sharpness up there with the newest flagships and the 35mm is really sharp and portable. I do agree they feel too expensive without the A7R sensor and would love some cheaper lenses as well though. So far we only have the kit-lens and modified NEX lenses. The Sigma 30mm f2.8 (and its siblings) covers a surprising amount of the frame so I hope Sigma makes some cheap primes for it.

Edit: Not D800e, but still...
Versus1.jpg

Hay there, everyone. I am totally new to cameras, and was wondering if I could get your opinions.

I'm looking for a camera that is ~$500, can take good macro and moon pictures, and will be used for vacations. I'm not against additional lenses, but I just can't get them right now.

I was looking at a Canon Sx50hs, since it has the 50x zoom, but am open to others. I'm not familiar with the brands, either, as I come from the generation that thinks Canon and Nikon are the best manufacturers. I was also looking at a Sony (forgot the model), but then I read the lenses are expensive for what you get.

I'm trying thru the thread now, so I apologize if these questions have already been asked.

nitewulf

The 35mm and 55mm are expensive because they're very high quality.
Versus1.jpg
I'm talking about the 24-70 and 70-200, they are 1000+ and not f/2.8, f/4 is pretty damn slow to be asking that kind of money. the 55mm is a bit long, and not even that fast, the 35 is a f/2.8 and about $800...they have to be joking.

tino

Banned
I hope the next Fuji point and shoot has a zeiss lens. Would be way better than an ff sensors. Would be awesome like those 35mm contax compacts.

Why? Is not like the Zeiss Touit lens for XF mount are better than Fuji's own lens.

Plus, Zeiss lens for P&S/Smartphones is just a branding thing.

Ty4on

I'm talking about the 24-70 and 70-200, they are 1000+ and not f/2.8, f/4 is pretty damn slow to be asking that kind of money. the 55mm is a bit long, and not even that fast, the 35 is a f/2.8 and about $800...they have to be joking.
That's what high end, 1st party fullframe lenses cost. Nikon and Canon want the same for their modern 70-200 f4 and their 50mm lenses are not as sharp. The 35mm is a little slow, but that makes it portable and ATM it is the cheapest FE lens.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but Olympus's two EQ. lenses to those zooms cost almost twice as much. Most good lenses are expensive so I hope Sigma stays independent and starts making FE lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom