• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Fresh

Ouch!

EDIT: This was a question in the photography thread, so I replied to Mr Fresh that I'd answer here!

Budget is a first consideration, secondly is what she likes to photograph. Is she using the iPhone because it's small and she's always got it on her, or because that's all she's got? If the former than something compact would be good. If she's really into photography then something a bit larger could work.

She uses her iPhone because that's all she has. My budget probably would be in the $200-$400 range. Well she just started getting into taking pictures of the city and nature but she always enjoyed taking pictures of people.

DBT85

She uses her iPhone because that's all she has. My budget probably would be in the $200-$400 range. Well she just started getting into taking pictures of the city and nature but she always enjoyed taking pictures of people.

Cool. Are you bothered about getting her something used?

Radec

5ds.jpg

sfedai0

Banned
I dont think I can go back to a DSLR after trying a mirrorless. I pretty much only take pics when I travel and a DSLR is just too damn heavy.

Would Sony NEX-5R be good for a casual with an SLR looking to downsize? I know this model is already a couple years old so should I get something else?

Donos

Would Sony NEX-5R be good for a casual with an SLR looking to downsize? I know this model is already a couple years old so should I get something else?

If you don't mind only looking at the screen for shooting and not having a proper hotshoe. Maybe a used NEX-6 is another choice for you although the price difference to the 5R is probably too big.

Also look up the Fuji offers. Great compact bodies. (X10 - X30 or the X-M1)

Lender

If you don't mind only looking at the screen for shooting and not having a proper hotshoe. Maybe a used NEX-6 is another choice for you although the price difference to the 5R is probably too big.

Also look up the Fuji offers. Great compact bodies. (X10 - X30 or the X-M1)
Or the xe2. Or a second hand xe1. I had a xe1 and was very pleased with it.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
5e8f5c-1422718770.jpg

Since i had to work late all week and weather was quite bad i finally got to go out and shoot some pics with my new toy. I am quite surprised how well manual focusing with focus peak actually works.

And i need a 35mm lens badly. Question is, do i use old cheap manual lenses or pony up some cash for an native af lens....

Donos

Or the xe2. Or a second hand xe1. I had a xe1 and was very pleased with it.

Fuji has really done awesome work lately. Buddy just went to Capetown, South Africa for 6 month and bought a X30 for this. He's already sending beautiful pictures, making me jealous.

DBT85

One of the new forums I joined for photography is ok with a member referring to ebay as egay.

Pls expansive ellipses, save us, you are our only hope.

Futureman

5DS sounds interesting... Can't wait to see it next week. Funny how people are saying, "Only goes up to 6400 ISO?!" as I've never used a photo with higher than 1600 on my 5D Mark II.

5e8f5c-1422718770.jpg

Since i had to work late all week and weather was quite bad i finally got to go out and shoot some pics with my new toy. I am quite surprised how well manual focusing with focus peak actually works.

And i need a 35mm lens badly. Question is, do i use old cheap manual lenses or pony up some cash for an native af lens....

I love my A7ii. Pony up! The native lens I hear is amazing.

Ty4on

Honestly, I have no clue what the used market will look like for those cameras. When the 6D was announced I expected the prices of used 5Dii's to plummet. Curiously enough, a cursory glance at eBay listings keeps the average price of a used 5dii within $200 of a 6D (on sale). It seems crazy to me that the 5Dii has held onto that price considering the 6D is a far superior camera.

I'm in the market for a full frame upgrade soon and I was shocked at how closely priced a used 5Dii was to a NEW 6D now that the price for the latter is dropping significantly.
I thought the same with the original A7, but the A7 ii was priced ~50% higher and our currency lost value. Regarding 5D mkii I looked at the very cheapest offers and surprisingly you can get a Canon 6D (N, without GPS and Wifi) for the same new as the most expensive used 5D mkii. It could be weather sealing and reputation for video, but who knows. The early 1Ds models (mkii specifically) are also really expensive compared to the 5D Classic.
The FE lens is very well regarded for its sharpness, but I know that feeling of the high price.
While looking for a wider lens to my Pentax ME I was dissapointed that most 35/28mm were simple designs offering OK sharpness without being very cheap.
Has anyone have used the Sony A7S for photography? If so, any impressions?
Astrophotography. I haven't used it, but dat real time of the milky way at f1.1 and ISO 400k. (And man does that lens not correct coma in the slightest wide open :p)
5DS sounds interesting... Can't wait to see it next week. Funny how people are saying, "Only goes up to 6400 ISO?!" as I've never used a photo with higher than 1600 on my 5D Mark II.
Depends on what you do. For astrophotography you need a fast, wide lens shot wide open at ISO 1600 to avoid too much star trailing so higher ISO ratings can save you money with lenses. I noticed something similar when I wanted to capture the aurora at a point instead of smushing together all of the movements.
For their audience I agree that the 5Ds needs to be great at low/base ISO. The same old dynamic range wouldn't cut it for those who've jumped ship.

DBT85

All depends on what you shoot of course, I've several from a wedding that were at over 10,000. How far I can go up the ISO range and still get good results is, I think, quite a big deal for people.

On my D80 I didn't like going past 800 or at most 1600. Now I can go 3 stops higher and not fret and another stop at a real push, giving me more options on shutter or aperture.

It can be a little different when you've got fast lenses of course which we don't tend to have when we get our first cameras, but even with all 5 of my lenses being f/1.8 or f/2.8, the option of higher ISO and a decent result is good, for me.

Futureman

Depends on what you do.

true.... and I should mention that the only reason I don't go over 1600 is it gets too grainy on a 5D II. I would love to go higher!

is the 5Ds supposed to be some kind of stop gap until the 5D IV? or I guess we really don't know? I think I may be interested in upgrading my camera body soon. Video is vital to me as well though, so hopefully they don't cut back on video features on the 5Ds. Though maybe they are positioning the 5Ds/r as a studio photography camera and the 5D IV is what I should wait for as it will be a good mix between photo/video.

Ty4on

true.... and I should mention that the only reason I don't go over 1600 is it gets too grainy on a 5D II. I would love to go higher!

is the 5Ds supposed to be some kind of stop gap until the 5D IV? or I guess we really don't know? I think I may be interested in upgrading my camera body soon. Video is vital to me as well though, so hopefully they don't cut back on video features on the 5Ds. Though maybe they are positioning the 5Ds/r as a studio photography camera and the 5D IV is what I should wait for as it will be a good mix between photo/video.
The rumors are that a 5D IV is scheduled for autumn with focus on video (4k). The 5Ds is probably set to regain customers from the D810 and medium format. If the rumors are true of a Sony sensor it'd be nice to see good dynamic range from a Canon. Sony sensors have so much range that you can shoot RAW at base ISO all day.

Futureman

The rumors are that a 5D IV is scheduled for autumn with focus on video (4k). The 5Ds is probably set to regain customers from the D810 and medium format. If the rumors are true of a Sony sensor it'd be nice to see good dynamic range from a Canon. Sony sensors have so much range that you can shoot RAW at base ISO all day.

Canon uses their own sensors now right? It would be pretty significant for them to switch to Sony?

NoRéN

Hey everyone. I posted a few days back and after really considering all the information that was generously provided I've decided on mirrorless. Budget of around $600 more or less and so far have gotten my hands on the Sony a6000 and liked it. however, if anyone has any other recommendations for a mirrorless camera around that price range, i would love to hear about it.

Also, anyone here have any experience buying off third party sellers on amazon? Saw some deals there but I'm always apprehensive.

tr4656

NoRéN;150113963 said:
Hey everyone. I posted a few days back and after really considering all the information that was generously provided I've decided on mirrorless. Budget of around $600 more or less and so far have gotten my hands on the Sony a6000 and liked it. however, if anyone has any other recommendations for a mirrorless camera around that price range, i would love to hear about it.

Also, anyone here have any experience buying off third party sellers on amazon? Saw some deals there but I'm always apprehensive.
Fuji X-M1 or X-E1 (if you can find it).

I'm biased towards Fuji systems though, at least for mirrorless.

NoRéN;150113963 said:

I *love* my a6000, if that helps you. :)

yayaba

I got my Fuji M-1 a month ago and love it.

I find that the body matters somewhat but it will be the lens quality that makes the huge difference. Fuji primes are better than Sony primes and are to me slightly cheaper at wider angles. I think the best sony one is 35mm which is too narrow for me. The only wider prime is the Zeiss 1.8 24mm which is almost $1k in price. Yikes.

Fuji primes are mostly under 2.0 aperture and have tons of focal lengths to pick from. And the lens quality is sublime.

I got the 23mm 1.4 for around $700. Love it to death. Also got a travel lens (18-135 3.5-5.6) for around $750. I'm pretty much set now with these two for a long while.

NoRéN;150113963 said:

I'm in the M43 camp, but if I had to start from scratch, I'd probably choose the A6000, too. The lens selection for NEX, which had been subpar in the past, is getting better and the camera itself really gives you a lot of bang for the buck. Alternatively you can of course look at the Fujis X-E, the Pana GX7 or the Olympus E-M10. The best would be, if you could test them in person at least for the handling, which is a matter of taste for every individual. Specs are one thing, the 'feeling' of the device is highly important, too, I think.

For the amazon 3rd party question, I can only relate to the situation here in Germany: There are some very good local photo stores with good tradition and reputation that sell via Marketplace and they sometimes have good bargain offers. I never had any problem with them. But I don't know what the situation is where you live.

hitsugi

I find that the body matters somewhat but it will be the lens quality that makes the huge difference. Fuji primes are better than Sony primes and are to me slightly cheaper at wider angles. I think the best sony one is 35mm which is too wide for me. The only wider prime is the Zeiss 1.8 24mm which is almost $1k in price. Yikes.

Fuji primes are mostly under 2.0 aperture and have tons of focal lengths to pick from. And the lens quality is sublime.

I got the 23mm 1.4 for around $700. Love it to death. Also got a travel lens (18-135 3.5-5.6) for around $750. I'm pretty much set now with these two for a long while.

This has been the issue with e-mount cameras since the NEX system debuted, and sadly it hasn't really improved today. Outside of Sony's 50mm 1.8 (regularly $200-250) or 35mm 1.8 for... $400-ish, you're not going to get much without hitting $800-1k+ unless you opt for the Sigma 30mm 2.8 or 60mm 2.8 which are both around $150-200.. but again, 2.8.. not 1.4 or 1.8, etc.

Fuji's 23mm 1.4 is almost reason enough for me to sell my a6000... which I just got.. because I can't afford to be in the e-mount system.

RuGalz

Wait until after CP+, which is in 1.5 weeks. There might be announcements that will cause some of these products to drop in price - especially with mirrorless market where technology is still evolving quickly.

Groof

This has been the issue with e-mount cameras since the NEX system debuted, and sadly it hasn't really improved today. Outside of Sony's 50mm 1.8 (regularly $200-250) or 35mm 1.8 for... $400-ish, you're not going to get much without hitting $800-1k+ unless you opt for the Sigma 30mm 2.8 or 60mm 2.8 which are both around $150-200.. but again, 2.8.. not 1.4 or 1.8, etc.

Fuji's 23mm 1.4 is almost reason enough for me to sell my a6000... which I just got.. because I can't afford to be in the e-mount system.

I agree. I've been looking at m43 for this exact reason. But I love what Sony is doing in the camera and mirrorless market and I want to support that. And while the point of entry is fairly cheap, actually staying in the ecosystem is a bit rough...

I've been managing very well with my Sigma 19/2.8 and Canon FD 50/1.4 and having an FD adapter opens up many options. But I still would like the 35/1.8...

hitsugi

I agree. I've been looking at m43 for this exact reason. But I love what Sony is doing in the camera and mirrorless market and I want to support that. And while the point of entry is fairly cheap, actually staying in the ecosystem is a bit rough...

I've been managing very well with my Sigma 19/2.8 and Canon FD 50/1.4 and having an FD adapter opens up many options. But I still would like the 35/1.8...

For what it's worth, I got the Sigma 30mm 2.8 around 6 months ago for $80 and at that price it is a hell of a value (especially over the standard 16-50mm powerzoom lens which.. for the most part, I really dislike).

HOWEVER, it does pale in comparison to Sony's 35mm 1.8 w/ OSS.. Given that I got the a6000 for a bargain price, and love the camera itself.. I feel like I should stick with the system but it's hard when I see those Fuji primes!!

ScribbleD

Hey, GAF. I haven't owned a digital camera in ages and I'm suddenly in the market for one.

I'm taking a course in photojournalism and the class requires me to have a digital camera with the ability to control f-stop and shutter speed. What is my most affordable option at this point? I'm trying to keep it less than $200. Less than $150 would be even better. Trying not to break the bank.

Unfortunately, due to certain circumstances I'm going to have to order it from Amazon and get it Wednesday through Prime shipping for an early assignment, so renting isn't an option for me and I can't borrow one from a friend.

RuGalz

Hey, GAF. I haven't owned a digital camera in ages and I'm suddenly in the market for one.

I'm taking a course in photojournalism and the class requires me to have a digital camera with the ability to control f-stop and shutter speed. What is my most affordable option at this point? I'm trying to keep it less than $200. Less than $150 would be even better. Trying not to break the bank.

Unfortunately, due to certain circumstances I'm going to have to order it from Amazon and get it Wednesday through Prime shipping for an early assignment, so renting isn't an option for me and I can't borrow one from a friend.

Maybe Canon S110 for your price range but I think Olympus XZ-2 at $218 right now is better.

yayaba

For what it's worth, I got the Sigma 30mm 2.8 around 6 months ago for $80 and at that price it is a hell of a value (especially over the standard 16-50mm powerzoom lens which.. for the most part, I really dislike).

HOWEVER, it does pale in comparison to Sony's 35mm 1.8 w/ OSS.. Given that I got the a6000 for a bargain price, and love the camera itself.. I feel like I should stick with the system but it's hard when I see those Fuji primes!!

The Fuji wide angle options were pretty much the reason I chose the M-1 over the a6000. I was pretty set on going Sony and had been drooling over the Sony cams for the past year. But after digging into it more and seeing the super fast primes of Fuji I never looked back. Seriously, look at this goodness:

10-24mm f4
14mm f2.8
18mm f2.0
23mm f1.4
27mm f2.8
35mm 1.4

NoRéN

Fuji X-M1 or X-E1 (if you can find it).

I'm biased towards Fuji systems though, at least for mirrorless.

I find that the body matters somewhat but it will be the lens quality that makes the huge difference. Fuji primes are better than Sony primes and are to me slightly cheaper at wider angles. I think the best sony one is 35mm which is too narrow for me. The only wider prime is the Zeiss 1.8 24mm which is almost $1k in price. Yikes.

I had seen the Fujifilm x-m1 in brown and fell in love so I'm glad to see it recommended!

now, what's the deal with this one?
Fujifilm X-A2

Newer model? Not as good?
Wait until after CP+, which is in 1.5 weeks. There might be announcements that will cause some of these products to drop in price - especially with mirrorless market where technology is still evolving quickly.
I can definitely wait a couple of weeks to save some cash.

tr4656

NoRéN;150323990 said:
I had seen the Fujifilm x-m1 in brown and fell in love so I'm glad to see it recommended!

now, what's the deal with this one?
Fujifilm X-A2

Newer model? Not as good?

I can definitely wait a couple of weeks to save some cash.

A2 is a new model but it's more entry level than the M1.

yayaba

NoRéN;150333542 said:
thank you for the clarification.

Now, to find the M1 in brown...

The only difference is the sensor tech. The M-1 uses the X-Trans sensor while A2 has a CMOS one. I'd google around to see the technical differences.

NoRéN

I got my hands today on the Sony a6000 and liked the feel.

I also tried out the Samsung NX3000 and Samsung NX300. The 3000 was cheaper so I'm guessing it's an entry level, or maybe not mirrorless?

I enjoyed the feel of the NX300. Any reason not to consider any of these Samsung?

The Sony a6000, Fujifilm x-m1 and Samsung nx300 all felt great and are in the same price range. It's getting difficult for me to choose. :(

RuGalz

NoRéN;150352322 said:
The Sony a6000, Fujifilm x-m1 and Samsung nx300 all felt great and are in the same price range. It's getting difficult for me to choose. :(

The next part is which system has lenses you want but that may not be all that evident until you have shoot for a while. Fuji is probably most complete as of now (but no FF) then Sony then Samsung (only comparing native lenses). But until you are invested in a system, it's really not that big deal to switch a couple years down the road; there's not one system that will fulfill everyone's requirement.

NoRéN;150352322 said:
I got my hands today on the Sony a6000 and liked the feel.

I also tried out the Samsung NX3000 and Samsung NX300. The 3000 was cheaper so I'm guessing it's an entry level, or maybe not mirrorless?

I enjoyed the feel of the NX300. Any reason not to consider any of these Samsung?

Samsung has very fine cameras, too. The 3000 is an entry-level model with cheaper body, no built-in flash and it uses microSD cards which are tiny and unpractical IMO. But it has the same sensor as the 300 afaik. You decide which gives you better value for your money. (And that's mostly just a matter of taste). There is no 'right' or 'wrong', no matter what fanboys will tell you.
Be aware that you decide for a whole ecosystem of lenses, grips, flashs and accessories. But the results you'll get are fine with any of all those brands.Tough decisions, eh?? Haha, been there too. Don't overthink your decisions for gear and have fun shooting photos. (I know, this is quite a stupid thing to say in the equipment thread... ;-))

NoRéN

Be aware that you decide for a whole ecosystem of lenses, grips, flashs and accessories. But the results you'll get are fine with any of all those brands.Tough decisions, eh?? Haha, been there too. Don't overthink your decisions for gear and have fun shooting photos. (I know, this is quite a stupid thing to say in the equipment thread... ;-))

I'm doing some research now on all the other stuff. Thank you

Unfortunately, overthinking is what I do most. :(

hitsugi

It is an important decision though. Some people can deal with ergonomics they don't necessarily love in order to get lenses they do, and some can't. Or some might love the ergonomics but hate the lens selection...

I think at this point in genuinely comes down to what system will provide you with lenses you'll actually use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom