• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmshaposv

I thought Leica learnt stuff with the success of Leica Q.

People want a M style body mirrorless with interchangeable lenses. How did they fuck that up? Make the ugly EVF hump. Make it ten times more unwieldy.

Thraktor

People want a M style body mirrorless with interchangeable lenses.

You mean like the M system?

I don't doubt that the SL will find a niche (Leica has never been a mass-market brand, they don't need to sell A7 numbers of these to make a profit), but my big question is why Leica has decided they need to support yet another lens system. They're now up to four:

S (MF)
SL (FF)
M (FF)
T (APS-C)

Not to even mention the occasional MFT collaboration with Panasonic. For a company which only puts out a couple of new lenses a year, that's a lot of systems to keep alive.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I thought Leica learnt stuff with the success of Leica Q.

People want a M style body mirrorless with interchangeable lenses. How did they fuck that up? Make the ugly EVF hump. Make it ten times more unwieldy.

The majority of the camera manufacturers are run by morons. Nikon has yet to come out with a D300 replacement, even though people really, really really want one. They continue to not expand their DX lens line. And Nikons customer service and QC are abjectly horrible of late.

Olympus came out with 4/3rds, a great idea in concept, but then their best top of the line lenses are often as heavy, bulky and more expensive than their canikon FF counterparts. M4/3rds was the end game and they really should have just started there like Panasonic. But even now they've released two cameras back to back that are marginally incrementally better.And they keep putting one on hold or some shit?

People want a Full Frame mirrorless camera system. What does Nikon do? They come out with the fucking Nikon 1 which is even fucking smaller sensor than 4/3rds. God knows what Canon is doing with mirrorless, they can't seemingly release the lenses in the US, IIRC.

Phase one is the only company that I can think of that's not run by morons. And they have to be sense their volume is so slim, they have to maximize ever sale. Their customer service is pretty great in my experience, but digital medium format is frankly out of reach for 95% of the camera population.

I read Thom Hogan a lot and I often find myself agreeing with his rants on Nikon, and the camera industry in general. Like his thoughts on the Japanese manufacturers arrogance, "i'll tell you what you want in your camera."

dmshaposv

You mean like the M system?

I don't doubt that the SL will find a niche (Leica has never been a mass-market brand, they don't need to sell A7 numbers of these to make a profit), but my big question is why Leica has decided they need to support yet another lens system. They're now up to four:

S (MF)
SL (FF)
M (FF)
T (APS-C)

M system is rangefinder - so purists who want use that obsolete way of focusing can stick to that and keep their mega priced lenses and camera body.

Most of us want a proper fucking EVF and modern day autofocusing but with the sexyness of a M body. We got that in the Leica Q but they didnt make it interchangeable.

All they had to do (especially after the failure that is Leica T) to make the Leica Q but with interchangeable M lenses. But no, they decide the make a huge ass clunky looking camera system with even huge ass clunky looking lenses.

iamcenok

Ho Boy, It feels nice having a camera again!

I am the proud owner of a Nikon D750... Again!

--

Last year(Dec. 18th) I had brought my gear with me to work because I was testing some accessories I bought earlier that day. Some filters and what not that I would be using for a shoot the following day.
I asked one of my fellow co-workers who was a big camera hobbiyist for some ideas and we were shooting the shit. He's a big Canon guy. Rockin' a sweet setup of body and glass. Namely a 5D mk.ii.

I had a fantastic day. Gorgeous weather. Really pleasant day.

I finish up my shift for the night. Go to grab my bag. It's light. Camera is gone.

FUCK.

I was depressed. I went on to shoot the gig the following night with my D7100. But I couldn't shake my mood. Highlight of the night was Astronautalis choosing me pick a topic for him to freestyle. (He does an original freestyle each show crowdsourcing different topics and themes. If he's done it before he won't do it again.).

I've had people come up to me curious about the going ons. I've had interesting conversations. Conversations that led me to suspect one of my co-workers.

Long story short -- The person I suspected was indeed the thief.
I managed to grab a photo he took and matched it to my serial number.

Reunited with my D750 and Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens.

I've been shooting here and there and it feels fucking great.

I've invested in some lighting which I think i'm going to sell in favor of new glass and studio lighting.
(If anybody is interested in a Nikon SB-910 speedlight. Selling for 480.00. PM me if interested!)
Some shots I recently took
10380297_10152957230367742_3246408023268830141_n.jpg

11665402_10152957229522742_125408861223777837_n.jpg

Edit: Has anybody messed with the Sigma 150-600? I think its under the "Contemporary" moniker.
I'd love to do action sports and some wildlife photos

NysGAF

My 5D classic should be here on Saturday. I'm upgrading from an XTi. Sadly, my only EF lens is the 50 1.4, but that's a heck of a lens so hopefully I'll be content for a few months until i refill my coffers. For what I like to to take photos of I'll be on the lookout for the 17-40 as my next piece of glass.

Ty4on

My 5D classic should be here on Saturday. I'm upgrading from an XTi. Sadly, my only EF lens is the 50 1.4, but that's a heck of a lens so hopefully I'll be content for a few months until i refill my coffers. For what I like to to take photos of I'll be on the lookout for the 17-40 as my next piece of glass.

The 17-40 is a good value, but I'm reminded of this comment from Roger Cicala from tests of multiple copies of wide zooms to document their variance:
So if you have the chance to test it out before hand you might want to. Here are some tricks to testing lenses for defects.

It sounds strange that an L lens will have this issue, but it's mostly caused by a lens design where a subtle change can have a drastic effect on the image quality. Part of the reason 50mm f1.8 lenses are so cheap is because the double gauss design is resilient to imperfections.

iamcenok

Oh yes he did. I pressed charges on the fucker.
Self proclaimed canon guy who talks crap on Nikon. Goes and steals a Nikon body. He wasn't as smooth as he thought he was.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Oh yes he did. I pressed charges on the fucker.
Self proclaimed canon guy who talks crap on Nikon. Goes and steals a Nikon body. He wasn't as smooth as he thought he was.

wow so canon guy from work in the story is the guy that stole your camera? Makes you wonder if he stole his canon gear.

You have to be a real low life to steal, but to steal from a coworker is even worse. My biggest fear of my camera gear getting stolen is not losing the gear but losing the photos on the compact flash card.

RuGalz

With the rumored Samsung quitting camera business (sensor development too?) and now Sony is buying out Toshiba's imaging business. Things are definitely moving along for the Sony overlord.

You know, I really wish that Sony would put out the uncompressed RAW update for the OG a7... I really want to upgrade, and the OG has like 80% of what I need, but given that I'm wanting to do more astrophotography, it's annoying that I'd have to jump up to the a7ii, which is like another $500.

I've spent about a month thinking about buying a second lens for my NEX-6 (I'm currently using the 30mm Sigma), and I'm still having a hard time making a decision. Should I get something within the e-mount family, or just buy an adapter and get something completely different? Most wide shots I take look cramped when outdoors, so I'm guessing a 19mm Sigma would suffice? I want to take advantage of the fact that I'm in Tokyo right now, as there are lenses available everywhere.

I used to think I needed something that performs better in low light conditions, but it turned out I just didn't know what I was doing. Being a bad photographer makes it tough to figure out what you need!

edit:

Here are the photos I've taken in Japan over the last month and a half or so:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128193013@N08/

Any feedback/critiques would be greatly appreciated!

I've spent about a month thinking about buying a second lens for my NEX-6 (I'm currently using the 30mm Sigma), and I'm still having a hard time making a decision. Should I get something within the e-mount family, or just buy an adapter and get something completely different? Most wide shots I take look cramped when outdoors, so I'm guessing a 19mm Sigma would suffice? I want to take advantage of the fact that I'm in Tokyo right now, as there are lenses available everywhere.

I used to think I needed something that performs better in low light conditions, but it turned out I just didn't know what I was doing. Being a bad photographer makes it tough to figure out what you need!

edit:

Here are the photos I've taken in Japan over the last month and a half or so:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128193013@N08/

Any feedback/critiques would be greatly appreciated!

Whatever you decide, just take into account your body crop factor.

Specifically for E-mount APS-C, I recommend the manual Samyang/Rokinon 12mm for ultra wide.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/samyang_12mm_f2/

Here's a question:

When I want to go super light, carry literally only my camera and two spare lenses, what are my options? Are there good belt clipped lens cases?

And would I need an adapter for this? And is there any chance I could find this used in a camera shop? My budget is ~$200, which I'm sure limits my options.

They make a native emount version. There are several versions of the lens that exist, so it sort of depends on how extensive the camera shops selection is.

EDIT: That being said, Samyang/Rokinon lenses are EXTREMELY good value. The $250 85mm trades blows with $1000 lenses. You don't get OSS or auto focus/aperture, but you do get very good photos, which is what matters in the end, for a very low price.

That being said, the 85mm is one of their cheaper lenses (most are $300/400 range with them, from what I've seen). I'm not sure $200 would get you one, unless you found a very good deal.

That being said, I like saying that being said.

Flo_Evans

Here's a question:

When I want to go super light, carry literally only my camera and two spare lenses, what are my options? Are there good belt clipped lens cases?

Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange 200 AW https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043D2L6Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They also make smaller individual lens cases.

edit: 105 macro came in today!

VNNI46D.jpg

You know its good when you can take self portraits in peoples eyeball reflections. :)

100% crop from:
bdDgg3l.png

FStop7

Banned
That Leica SL, smh.

"No compromises" followed by "24 megapixels" made me laugh.

I love my Leica M240 but the SL is silly if its meant for "professionals", as claimed. No working PJ is going to choose that over a DSLR.

Aurongel

I feel dead inside. Just picked up my new Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART only to find that my 6D now has a grid of ~3x3 hot pixels at ISO 200 and above.

Fucking. Hell.

Prez

How much better is the Canon 50mm 1.4 than the 1.8 STM? Can I expect much better results at 1.8 aperture?

Maybe I shouldn't be thinking about a lens upgrade yet :)

Ty4on

What does it mean if a flash is manual? Complete noob here.
Manual control of the flash output. A cheaper flash without it will on a camera that doesn't support its TTL metering (like Canon flash on Nikon) fire at 100% strength all the time.

Edit: And for this it won't work with Nikon's TTL system for flash metering and I think you'll have to zoom it yourself.

Manual control of the flash output. A cheaper flash without it will on a camera that doesn't support its TTL metering (like Canon flash on Nikon) fire at 100% strength all the time.

Edit: And for this it won't work with Nikon's TTL system for flash metering and I think you'll have to zoom it yourself.
Well this sounds a bit complicated. What would be "idiot proof?"

Nonono that's wrong.

It means that the camera can't take control of it, this much is true, but it does NOT fire at 100% all the time -- maybe if you got a TTL flash and put it on a camera that wasn't compatible with its TTL system, but no, a flash that is purely at max strength all the time would be worthless.

What it MEANS is that you manually control the output. That means test shots, and... that's really all that means. If you're already taking test shots to check your regular exposure settings, then a manual flash is just one more setting to adjust. The yongnuo 560's are strong enough that most shots will just be either 1/128th or 1/64th. I've rarely needed to go over that. (There are times, just for most uses lower power is perfectly suitable.)

NysGAF

How much better is the Canon 50mm 1.4 than the 1.8 STM? Can I expect much better results at 1.8 aperture?

I'm going to answer this, but not really. I had the 1.8 for a year or so and it was a terrific lens. Then I dropped it. I loved and used the lens so much that I considered the 1.4. All I needed was a little encouragement from a friend of mine who shoots for a living. Straight away you will see a color and bokeh difference. The lens itself is heftier, which is something you may like when it comes to balance.

Here's a quote from a face-off review of the two that is pretty accurate.

The build quality of the 50mm 1.4, with its wider aperture and shapelier bokeh, is a big plus. But the much smaller price tag of the 50mm 1.8, along with its seemingly sharper focus at wider apertures, is impossible to overlook.

For me, knowing that a 50 prime is my favorite to shoot with, I went for the upgrade.

Prez

I'm going to answer this, but not really. I had the 1.8 for a year or so and it was a terrific lens. Then I dropped it. I loved and used the lens so much that I considered the 1.4. All I needed was a little encouragement from a friend of mine who shoots for a living. Straight away you will see a color and bokeh difference. The lens itself is heftier, which is something you may like when it comes to balance.

Here's a quote from a face-off review of the two that is pretty accurate.

For me, knowing that a 50 prime is my favorite to shoot with, I went for the upgrade.

The 1.8 STM is better than the 1.8 II (both in bokeh and sharpness) which was used for that comparison. I guess I'll learn to make optimal use of my 1.8 first before even considering upgrading.

Ty4on

Nonono that's wrong.

It means that the camera can't take control of it, this much is true, but it does NOT fire at 100% all the time -- maybe if you got a TTL flash and put it on a camera that wasn't compatible with its TTL system, but no, a flash that is purely at max strength all the time would be worthless.
You misunderstood, in the second sentence I was talking about cheap flashes like this one which have no manual controls on the body.
I know I misunderstood the original question of needing a wireless flash though. I don't know of many wireless flashes that have no manual control apart from maybe this one :p

Nonono that's wrong.

What it MEANS is that you manually control the output. That means test shots, and... that's really all that means. If you're already taking test shots to check your regular exposure settings, then a manual flash is just one more setting to adjust. The yongnuo 560's are strong enough that most shots will just be either 1/128th or 1/64th. I've rarely needed to go over that. (There are times, just for most uses lower power is perfectly suitable.)
How good would a Yongnou 568 EX be?

Aurongel

The 50mm f1.8 STM is sharper, focuses better and is better built than the 50mm f1.4

The f1.4 is a 20+ year old lens that features Canon's early (see: garbage) USM implementation that is both not as accurate as later USM and STM models and not as swift to focus.

Unless you really, REALLY need that 2/3 stop brighter aperture the f1.4 gives you then I see exactly zero reason to pick it over the fantastic 50mm f1.8 STM.

Can anybody recommend an external flash that the chairman of broke photographer gaf can afford?

Sounds like you're looking for something with E-TTL capabilities like the Yongnuo 565 EX or 568 EX. It's like an automatic mode for a speedlite which controls the exposure for you so you don't have to measure out the values on your own. Sounds complicated but it's basically an automatic flash that's easy to use for beginners.

Prez

The 50mm f1.8 STM is sharper, focuses better and is better built than the 50mm f1.4

The f1.4 is a 20+ year old lens that features Canon's early (see: garbage) USM implementation that is both not as accurate as later USM and STM models and not as swift to focus.

Unless you really, REALLY need that 2/3 stop brighter aperture the f1.4 gives you then I see exactly zero reason to pick it over the fantastic 50mm f1.8 STM.

Thanks for clarifying, I think I'll go with a 24mm or 40mm STM instead then.

Sounds like you're looking for something with E-TTL capabilities like the Yongnuo 565 EX or 568 EX. It's like an automatic mode for a speedlite which controls the exposure for you so you don't have to measure out the values on your own. Sounds complicated but it's basically an automatic flash that's easy to use for beginners.
Yeah pretty much. I just want something cheap, decent and borderline idiot proof. If I could save a couple of bucks on something like those two refurbished I'll pretty much take it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just ordered a LumoPro LP180R. I guess I'll see how much they changed/improved since the last version, and if it'll play nice with my existing Odin setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom