• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsugi

Leica SL
Leica-SL-et-objectifs.jpg

Price:
Leica

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/look-here-first-images-of-the-new-leica-sl-with-lenses/

I'm assuming this is going to look a lot different when it's done.. because that is absolutely hideous

€10k with the kit lens according to those rumours.

Is there a market for another system with its own line of lenses? Not sure, but Leica seems to think so.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
€10k with the kit lens according to those rumours.

Is there a market for another system with its own line of lenses? Not sure, but Leica seems to think so.

rich people that don't know any better will buy it because of its name.

Ty4on

And that's before you put one of those big ass lenses on it.

I think they're the reason they made it so big :p

It's a bizarre strategy though. Leica is known for small, high quality lenses. I'm guessing they are trying to capture a part of the bigger = better crowd.

RuGalz

It's got a lot of metal in it and fully weather sealed. Is it their first weather sealed system and lenses? I don't follow Leica that closely...

Also, A7II (maybe A7IIR only) being small doesn't really seem that great for heat dissipation. The sensor seems to overheat pretty easily in long exposure and esp in 4k video mode.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Bought the 1200D! :) Got it for 350€ with a 16GB class 10 Sandisk SD card.

Loving it so far. Noticed after buying it that I got the 18-55 EF-S III, which doesn't have IS... Don't think the place I bought it from has the II with IS tough, so I can't really do anything about it.

Still, my 50mm it's not stabilized either so I'll either learn to deal with it or I'm fucked. ahah

Flo_Evans

GD why is it so large? I thought maybe it was medium format at 1st.

Sad news, I seem to have lost my 60mm macro. Can't find it anywhere. Thinking of getting the new one... might go up to the 105mm.

RuGalz

Its huge alright

42taQ81.jpg

Compared to A7II

But thinner it looks like so total volume is actually smaller...

SL
Weight (inc. batteries) 847 g (1.87 lb / 29.88 oz)
Dimensions 147 x 104 x 39 mm (5.79 x 4.09 x 1.54″)

A7RII
Weight (inc. batteries) 625 g (1.38 lb / 22.05 oz)
Dimensions 127 x 96 x 60 mm (5 x 3.78 x 2.36″)

Forsete

But thinner it looks like so total volume is actually smaller...

SL
Weight (inc. batteries) 847 g (1.87 lb / 29.88 oz)
Dimensions 147 x 104 x 39 mm (5.79 x 4.09 x 1.54″)

A7RII
Weight (inc. batteries) 625 g (1.38 lb / 22.05 oz)
Dimensions 127 x 96 x 60 mm (5 x 3.78 x 2.36″)

lol.

Measured where?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It's massive
_1060950.jpeg

94% the weight of the Canon 5D... The A7 II models are all 70% for comparison.

If this is waterproof (like drop in water, waterproof) and basically indestructible, okay. Otherwise i can't wrap my head around.

Edit: At least its got a full sized HDMI input, hate these micro plugs, lol.

RuGalz

lol.

Measured where?

Who knows, I'm guessing the grip area. I don't have my friend's A7RII to measure it. All those massive full size ports plus 2 vertically aligned SD cards and massive EVF really makes it look big from the front. At least they aren't gimping out on the SD card write speed (at that price!) I guess. A7RII really struggles with 36MB/s max write esp with now available uncompressed raw file.

Prez

Does anyone have an idea how many feet you have to be from the subject to take a portrait with no facial distortion using a Nikon 35mm on a crop camera?

RuGalz

definitely a big mount with so much clearance between the edge of the sensor and the mount.

Code:
[img]https://no-detour.leica-camera.com/img/cmos_sensor.png[/img]
[img]http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images750x750/1433958442000_1159878.jpg[/img]

Forsete

Who knows, I'm guessing the grip area. I don't have my friend's A7RII to measure it. All those massive full size ports plus 2 vertically aligned SD cards and massive EVF really makes it look big from the front. At least they aren't gimping out on the SD card write speed (at that price!) I guess. A7RII really struggles with 36MB/s max write esp with now available uncompressed raw file.

So you are saying the grip is only 39 mm on the SL? Ouch.
_1060925.jpeg

You seem very bitter about the A7-series. Why is that?

First I thought this is the 90-200mm lens on the camera, but no, it's the 24-90!

I need to see it with the 90-200mm now, that thing has to be huge!

RuGalz

You seem very bitter about the A7-series. Why is that?

I'm conflicted because it's got a lot of potentials with a few deal breakers for me at its current state. Plus Sony isn't great about improving things through firmware; they'd rather have you buy a new body. So it's like ooo that's an awesome feature to have... but dammmn I can't deal with this other thing it does... If Sony treats its camera with Fuji's attitude, that would be awesome I think.

Forsete

I'm conflicted because it's got a lot of potentials with a few deal breakers for me at its current state. Plus Sony isn't great about improving things through firmware; they'd rather have you buy a new body. So it's like ooo that's an awesome feature to have... but dammmn I can't deal with this other thing it does... If Sony treats its camera with Fuji's attitude, that would be awesome I think.

No camera is perfect, all cameras have negatives and positives. If you wait for the perfect one you'll be waiting all your life because that isn't going to happen.

Just enjoy yourself, we only live once after all. :/

RuGalz

No camera is perfect, all cameras have negatives and positives. If you wait for the perfect one you'll be waiting all your life because that isn't going to happen.

Just enjoy yourself, we only live once after all. :/

Yea of course nothing is perfect. Every brand and model has compromises so the easiest way to make decision for me is to look for deal breakers. I'm just keeping my eyes on MILC development because eventually I think that is the way to go; there're just so many possibilities when the camera can analyze the image as part of the pipeline.

Also I want to stick to IBIS if possible so that's why I'm paying a lot of attention to Sony.

Prez

I finally bought a camera, a used Canon 20D for €40 and a 50mm 1.8 STM. The crop is not as bad as I feared fortunately.

On the topic of nothing being perfect, what would everybody's ideal camera be? I'm talking sensor, design, etc.

I'd love a weather sealed mirrorless that's roughly the same size and shape as a K1000, has the dials of an X-T1, no rear LCD (just a big EVF), and the A7RII's sensor.

There's probably more that I could think of, but that's a rough idea.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unless that camera does my homework and sucks my dick every night, I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy it. Did I miss something? Does it have amazing image quality that justifies the price?

RuGalz

^ that's a massive EVF! so a larger EVF plus GPS probably increased the height, relatively speaking. I wonder what's increasing the width. More room for the battery? Probably should have made it thicker and stuff the electronic parts to avoid the wide face. There needs to be a iFixit tear down...

On the topic of nothing being perfect, what would everybody's ideal camera be? I'm talking sensor, design, etc.

For me the ideal is pretty much if Pentax makes a weather sealed, mirrorless that is technically as good as Sony's (with several issues fixed). I've grown too used of the green button workflow and hyper program mode that whenever I use my Fuji (or any other camera) it feels very fidgety. Size doesn't matter too much for me for the main camera - they are small enough as is. I always have a high end compact or mirrorless w/ pancake prime to supplement the main.

NimbusD

Finally upgraded from my old, well used, t2i. Did me well little guy. Got an A7s after a long debate and managing to get a pretty good deal on a barely used one through ebay.

Thoughts so far: Damn this thing is going to take a long time to get used to, after only ever using the t2i and occasionally a 5Diii and 7D, this thing is an anti-ergonomic nightmare. The menus seem horribly laid out too. But god damn does it have some great features. Seems like it's gonna take a lot more effort to get really great video out of it than it would with, say,a 5D, but also maybe I just knew how to work that camera and this is completely new to me?

Finally upgraded from my old, well used, t2i. Did me well little guy. Got an A7s after a long debate and managing to get a pretty good deal on a barely used one through ebay.

Thoughts so far: Damn this thing is going to take a long time to get used to, after only ever using the t2i and occasionally a 5Diii and 7D, this thing is an anti-ergonomic nightmare. The menus seem horribly laid out too. But god damn does it have some great features. Seems like it's gonna take a lot more effort to get really great video out of it than it would with, say,a 5D, but also maybe I just knew how to work that camera and this is completely new to me?

Sony's menus are indeed not the best, but as long as you can get everything on your buttons you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom