• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lender

Was lining up to finally buy the 85L from Canon, until I got my bill for the maintenance for my car. 700 fucking euros. For a goddamn 10 year old Peugeot 206. Fuck this shit.

EF_85mm_f1.2L_II_USM_default_tcm43-939666.jpg

After a month's delay, I finally ordered it! Hope to get it soon. Plus got 360€ worth of gift certificates. Will help me fund the Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART at the end of the year.

Lender

Portraits mostly. :)

Also got my eyes set on a Helios 44-2 58mm F2. Cheap, but the pictures they took look so good with that swirly bokeh. For the lens and adapter I'll probably lose around 70€.

Prez

What would be a good cheap accesory for my Canon 20D? I can get a €50 coupon (or €25 cashback) from Canon if I purchase a 24mm STM.

John Blade

What would be a good cheap accesory for my Canon 20D? I can get a €50 coupon (or €25 cashback) from Canon if I purchase a 24mm STM.

Let's start with what item you need for your camera as of now. Do you need a flash, lens, camera bag, battery pack, etc? Also, is it only from Canon website of can it be any store. Also, what is your budget range as it will give us an idea here to look into.

For now, you have Canon 20D which is only take photo only so, no video in that camera. I guess, based in the limited info, you're doing portrait photography which mean either you need lens for it and maybe flash. If flash, if you want to keep it cheap, go to Yongnuo yn560 III or IV (get the IV if you can get it cheap as it have a build in transmitter or receiver). It's a manual flash which give you the basic necessary stuff you need for this flash and it's actually decent in power and price.

Prez

Let's start with what item you need for your camera as of now. Do you need a flash, lens, camera bag, battery pack, etc? Also, is it only from Canon website of can it be any store. Also, what is your budget range as it will give us an idea here to look into.

For now, you have Canon 20D which is only take photo only so, no video in that camera. I guess, based in the limited info, you're doing portrait photography which mean either you need lens for it and maybe flash. If flash, if you want to keep it cheap, go to Yongnuo yn560 III or IV (get the IV if you can get it cheap as it have a build in transmitter or receiver). It's a manual flash which give you the basic necessary stuff you need for this flash and it's actually decent in power and price.

I've been looking around and there aren't really any accessories I need so I think I'll go for the cashback or I could also buy a Canon printer.

John Blade

I've been looking around and there aren't really any accessories I need so I think I'll go for the cashback or I could also buy a Canon printer.

Take the cash back unless you need a printer and even then, you will need one that do great color print with the price of ink refill is reasonable.

sneaky77

I have a Fuji X-e2 that I am very happy with but I am looking for a possible compact decent camera to take into concerts or venues where they don't let you go in with cameras that have exchangeable lenses, any ideas of something decent out there that won't break the bank $800 tops probably prefer to spend less though

I have a Fuji X-e2 that I am very happy with but I am looking for a possible compact decent camera to take into concerts or venues where they don't let you go in with cameras that have exchangeable lenses, any ideas of something decent out there that won't break the bank $800 tops probably prefer to spend less though

On concerts you will like to have some rather fast lens (about f2 on the wide end, not to much over f5 at the tele end) with you. Sony RX100 M3 is my recommendation, because it is pocketable (24-70 mm equiv., f1.8 - f2.8). Some friend of mine made some great concert pics with his Fuji X30 (28-112 mm equiv, f2 -f2.8), which is bulkier, but also much cheaper.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, yeah the iphone 6S camera is pretty shit, especially in dusk or darker times. What's a good P&S that's compact and I can keep in my pocket at all times so I don't have to keep taking all my photos on the iphone and having them look like crap.

MRORANGE

Ok, yeah the iphone 6S camera is pretty shit, especially in dusk or darker times. What's a good P&S that's compact and I can keep in my pocket at all times so I don't have to keep taking all my photos on the iphone and having them look like crap.

Check the post above you.

Bebpo

Banned
Check the post above you.

The price and image quality sounds great, but the handling of it described in this review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m3/13

Sounds pretty bad. Is it as bad as that makes it sound? I want a camera I can pop out like my cell phone and take good quality pictures in lower light.

*edit* ended up just ordering it. Seems like the best in its class and it'll be so nice to have a better camera than cell phone for all the times I don't want to lug around a DSLR (90% of my life).

Bebpo

Banned
Yep. But the handling is pretty bad. I like the results I'm getting, but I don't like shooting with it.

Is the handling as in messing around with settings or as in pulling it out and point and hitting shoot? Because I don't mind if changing settings is a pain as long as the actual just pointing and auto-focusing and hitting shoot feels normal and good.

Is the handling as in messing around with settings or as in pulling it out and point and hitting shoot? Because I don't mind if changing settings is a pain as long as the actual just pointing and auto-focusing and hitting shoot feels normal and good.

It's a mix of both, but I really hate the physical buttons.

But in terms of size and IQ, there's nothing better.

f0lken

Hi everyone, I need advice, I've been saving to finally have my first Full Frame after all these years that I've been in photography, my main camera is a Sony A68, and previously an A58/A37 so I am biased towards Sony and I will most likely going for an A7, but if someone can tell me his experience with this or an A99 (My other choice) it would be great :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got an email from warehouse express pushing full frame. 'Get into full frame from £214' it says. Obviously that's used, but even then, £200 for a used 5D body seems pretty good?

Lender

Just got an email from warehouse express pushing full frame. 'Get into full frame from £214' it says. Obviously that's used, but even then, £200 for a used 5D body seems pretty good?

You can't go wrong with that. IQ still is very good. Obviously you'll have to give up on certain features, but for 200 quid you can't go wrong.

Ty4on

That's a great deal for a 5D in decent shape. On EBay prices seem to be higher.

alejob

I want to buy my first ever DSLR. I'm not sure what to get. I'm looking at Black Friday deals.

I want a to do some wildlife photography and I need a lens with good zoom. I see for sale

Canon - EOS Rebel T5 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 75-300mm Lenses for $400

Nikon - D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens - Black for $400 I would have by another lens

Nikon D7100 24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera Bundle with 18-140mm and 55-300mm VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens for $1000 Might be out of my price range

No Nikon D5300 that I've see for sale.

John Blade

I want to buy my first ever DSLR. I'm not sure what to get. I'm looking at Black Friday deals.

I want a to do some wildlife photography and I need a lens with good zoom. I see for sale

Nikon - D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens - Black for $400 I would have by another lens

24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera Bundle with 18-140mm and 55-300mm VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens for $1000 Might be out of my price range

No Nikon D5300 that I've see for sale.

The Canon T5 is the entry level DSLR camera. It might be a good starter camera to start right now but because this is entry level, they will be some limitation. As for the lens, here is a good review for the 75-300mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI7mZHBf5YU

The Nikon D3300 is also the entry level camera for Nikon. Same as the Canon one, good starting camera but will limited you a bit in certain area.

For the Nikon D7100 might be a better choice of a camera. As for the lens

Nikon 55-300mm VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens impression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbfNXgAVYU

Nikon 18-140mm lens impression (no talking more reading)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkLuYGRXEM

I guess it come down to do you want to get an entry level camera and put more money into lens or get a better camera but get an okay lens to start.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Not sure if I can ask here but could anyone tell me if a lot of post-processing is necessary before having one of these photos printed on canvas? Also, what's the maximum recommended print size? Not sure about the resolution but the RAW files are both 50+MB.

http://www.loc.gov/item/gottlieb.11201/
http://www.loc.gov/item/gottlieb.11181/

file size isn't the important factor. Its the resolution. What is the resolution on the images? And what size are you wanting to print it?

that said there is software to uprez, I took a 12mpx shot to 40x60 using uprez software, when you put your nose on the print you could tell, but from normal viewing distances you cant.

Prez

file size isn't the important factor. Its the resolution. What is the resolution on the images? And what size are you wanting to print it?

that said there is software to uprez, I took a 12mpx shot to 40x60 using uprez software, when you put your nose on the print you could tell, but from normal viewing distances you cant.

It's about 20MP but if you take away the black borders it would be about 15MP I guess? 40x60 or a little smaller is what I want.

The problem is these are scans and I want the colors and contrast to be perfect for printing but my laptop screen isn't very accurate.

BJK

I'm not going to pretend I know enough about Nikon to inform your decision, but I did want to let you know Canon is selling a refurbished SL1 with those same lenses for $100 less than your target price....right now.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2015/11/7d-mark-ii-refurb-999-18-135-stm-1249-sl1-2-lenses-299/

I jumped in with more pricy lenses (15-85 and the 70-300 IS), so I've never tried the 75-300...but I've never heard good things about the 75-300. The SL1 is at least on-par with the T5, unless it's too small for you. Considering this bundle is just $20 more than Canon sells the SL1 (refurb) without the 75-300, it's not that much of a sunk cost.

It's a kit that's good enough for you to learn what it is you're looking for out of your gear, while saving money towards the lens which comes closer to what you want to shoot. It would be my recommendation, at least on the Canon side of things.

Prez

It's about 20MP but if you take away the black borders it would be about 15MP I guess? 40x60 or a little smaller is what I want.

The problem is these are scans and I want the colors and contrast to be perfect for printing but my laptop screen isn't very accurate.

So I did a crop and without the black borders it's a 13MP .TIF. I would like a 36x48 canvas print, would 13MP be enough for that?

I'm assuming some of you have accurate monitors, could anyone judge how good the colors and contrast are and if any processing is required to make it look great on canvas?

Edit: here's a slightly edited version (cropped and slight white balance change). Any opinions?

So I did a crop and without the black borders it's a 13MP .TIF. I would like a 36x48 canvas print, would 13MP be enough for that?

I'm assuming some of you have accurate monitors, could anyone judge how good the colors and contrast are and if any processing is required to make it look great on canvas?

Edit: here's a slightly edited version (cropped and slight white balance change). Any opinions?

It.... seems kinda soft. Is this your photo? Is there a lot of noise reduction going on?

The softness IMO will probably hide a pit of the low res, to a point, but it's always going to look soft. I suppose some sharpening might make it look less soft, but I can't say that it'll make it look better.

Prez

It.... seems kinda soft. Is this your photo? Is there a lot of noise reduction going on?

The softness IMO will probably hide a pit of the low res, to a point, but it's always going to look soft. I suppose some sharpening might make it look less soft, but I can't say that it'll make it look better.

It's a scan of a negative of a photo taken in 1948.

captive

It's a scan of a negative of a photo taken in 1948.

I recently calibrated my monitors. It looks good on mine. I think it will look ok from normal viewing distances at that size. Its not overally sharp as H3XAntiStyle said, but as long as your ok with it, it should be fine.

Prez

I recently calibrated my monitors. It looks good on mine. I think it will look ok from normal viewing distances at that size. Its not overally sharp as H3XAntiStyle said, but as long as your ok with it, it should be fine.

Thanks, I'll have to inform myself a bit more since with a canvas print you don't need as high a resolution as paper print, right?

captive

Thanks, I'll have to inform myself a bit more since with a canvas print you don't need as high a resolution as paper print, right?

to an extent, sure. But canvas prints aren't a blurry mess. I printed a family photo for a friends mom and my friend who does a lot of prints himself was very surprised at how sharp it was. I was like well if you actually looked at all the canvas prints in my house you would know they are sharp.

Like I said the photo will look ok from normal viewing distances, but at that size getting within a few feet of it, its not going to look so hot. But that's not the point of a printed photo. Same thing with pixel peepers who need every photo to look perfect at 100%.

So here's something I've always wondered; why don't cameras close their shutters when switching lenses? Seems like that would be a stupidly good way to keep dust out, is there some reason why this wouldn't work?

EDIT: Eh I decided to do some googling, and yeah I guess dust isn't even really a big enough problem to give a shit.

Ty4on

Because the shutter is open to begin with I imagine. It would add complexity and possibly scare some consumers with that catchunck.

Mirror less have thicker glass in front of the sensor (than SLR/rangefinders) which should protect it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
so..the first time I'll show all my gear. hope some of you find it interesting >.<"

my nikon collection with a little bit of other stuff I got..

my stuff that is usually in my everyday backpack. fujifilm camera things and an iphone gorillapod. also an adapter to use my favourite nikon lense on my X-T1

aaaand today I got my new backpack. Crumpler The Base Park.
here is a video if anyone is interested
https://vimeo.com/145482595

About the Nikon stuff. The Nikon F501 and 3 of the lenses I got from my grandfather. he bought the camera and lenses when I was born to take pictures. around 5 years ago he gave me everything. The Nikkor 70-210 1:4 is pretty interesting and was only produced for a short time.

The Nikon FE was bought in Japan and the EM is from ebay. I actually bought it only because of the nikon pancake lense.

sorry if the picture quality is not perfect. iphone 6 and it is pretty dark today.

So, here in a few months, I'll be receiving a bonus from the military, and I'm thinking of purchasing a camera with it.

My choices are down to the A7II, or the A7SII. I'm going with the II series, because I use primarily vintage or manual lenses, and the IBIS is VERY attractive to me.

Using my a6000, I don't really find many times where I'm zooming in to 100% crop, so I don't think that going from 20MP to 12MP is going to be much difference to me, and I plan on getting more into Astrophotography, as well as just taking advantage of the better low light of the A7SII with some more night time shots.

But, I'm wondering, how much better is the SII than the regular a7 at low light? Does it perform worse in regular shooting (Aside from MP)? Are there any other concerns? Just wondering what I'd be getting/losing for the jump in price. Being able to easily take astrophotography photos would be a huge plus to me though.

Lender

The S series is a low light beast. The R isn't bad either, but the S is from a different world. That said, it's mainly a film camera instead of a stills camera. If you want it for stills and your considering the price class of the A7SII, you might wanna consider the A7RII as well.

But since you mention astrophotography as well, then the A7SII will perform very well as well.

Hmmm. I've been looking into it, and it seems that the A7SII isn't really an improvement in low light until past 6400 -- which is, at best, the HIGHEST ISO that I'd really want for astrophotography. So it sounds like it's not that cut and dry.

Seeing as that's the case, I'll probably go A7II, and maybe invest is a cheapish star tracker or something.

EDIT: Yeah there's actually a fairly affordable star tracker I can use. I think a7II is going to be the better buy between the two.

Lender

Hmmm. I've been looking into it, and it seems that the A7SII isn't really an improvement in low light until past 6400 -- which is, at best, the HIGHEST ISO that I'd really want for astrophotography. So it sounds like it's not that cut and dry.

Seeing as that's the case, I'll probably go A7II, and maybe invest is a cheapish star tracker or something.

EDIT: Yeah there's actually a fairly affordable star tracker I can use. I think a7II is going to be the better buy between the two.

Ian Norman has some great reviews for cameras for astrophotography, including the A7s. Look it up on YouTube as well.

Ian Norman has some great reviews for cameras for astrophotography, including the A7s. Look it up on YouTube as well.

I'm sure that, no other factors, the a7s is better for astrophotography, buuuuuut, for the same price as an a7SII, I can get an a7II, a couple of lenses, and an astrotracker. Better bang for buck, and I was already stretching it pretty far thinking of the a7sII.

Lender

I'm sure that, no other factors, the a7s is better for astrophotography, buuuuuut, for the same price as an a7SII, I can get an a7II, a couple of lenses, and an astrotracker. Better bang for buck, and I was already stretching it pretty far thinking of the a7sII.

That's a valid point which I always follow myself. Save some money on the body, get better glass.

If you're looking to pick up astrophotography I'd recommend looking at the Lonely Speck as it has a lot of helpful information.

Also for anyone using the MFT system, Panasonic's selling their new 25mm f1.7 for $99 at Amazon, B&H, and Adorama. Kind of tempted to pick one up at that price ...

I actually did see some stuff from Lonely Speck, and it inspired me to go out tonight to take some photos haha. See if his work process jives with me or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom