• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

Thraktor

BlueTsunami said:
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM (if its anything like their 50/1.4)

Agreed. It's odd that they didn't already do an 85mm prime, although it seems that, bar the dedicated macros, they didn't have any short- or mid-telephoto primes at all, with a gap from 50mm to 300mm in their lineup.

mrkgoo

That 85mm looks sweet. I've been wanting a better than f/1.8 (which I always use at f/2 anyway), but not quite the 85 f/1.2.

The 8-16mm looks tasty too.

Hey guys and gals. I absolutely love my 50mm 1.8 Canon lens I got. However, I wouldn't mind something with some zoom other than my kit lens. I am looking for something relatively inexpensive. I am not talking sports HUGE zoom, but something that would allow me to get a slightly better close-up on wildlife such as the squirrels on campus.

Thanks guys.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The_Inquisitor said:
Hey guys and gals. I absolutely love my 50mm 1.8 Canon lens I got. However, I wouldn't mind something with some zoom other than my kit lens. I am looking for something relatively inexpensive. I am not talking sports HUGE zoom, but something that would allow me to get a slightly better close-up on wildlife such as the squirrels on campus.

Thanks guys.

Sigma makes a couple of Super Zooms that are pretty good. Though you will have to decide if you want to give up some focal length on the wide end in place of more reach.

BlueTsunami said:
Sigma makes a couple of Super Zooms that are pretty good. Though you will have to decide if you want to give up some focal length on the wide end in place of more reach.

Thanks! Also another question.

I lost the quick release mount for my cheapo tripod. I am going to spend the money and get a nice one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good entry level DSLR tripod? Thanks!

I'm looking for something lightweight good for the outdoors. Nothing too heavy.

Zyzyxxz

Samsung's newly unveiled TL500 has pretty nice stats, and looks to be a good sidekick for a DSLR

EX1_FS_B_Global.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022005samsungex1.asp

Highlights for me:

3" AMOLED articulating screen
F1.8 - 2.4 lens

mrkgoo

Zyzyxxz said:
Samsung's newly unveiled TL500 has pretty nice stats, and looks to be a good sidekick for a DSLR

EX1_FS_B_Global.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022005samsungex1.asp

Highlights for me:

3" AMOLED articulating screen
F1.8 - 2.4 lens

Holy beans. These cameras are getting even wider aperture than most of my SLR lenses. Is this basically Samsung's G11, or more akin to the Canon S90?

Edit: It also has the 'larger' sensor of the S90/G11 (1/1.7"). Hmm, it's basically a contender to the Canon S90. Slightly wider, and less reach, slightly better aperture, and an AMOLED screen. There's a lot going for it.

Inquisitor: Mafrotto/Bogen are the go to 'non-cheap' Tripods. They're expensive, and no lighter than cheaper brands, however.

My Uncle actually gave me an old Bogen 3100 tripod. However the thing is really difficult to use and I am having a hell of a time leveling the damn thing. :lol :lol

But yeah, I need something lightweight that would be good for the outdoors.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
My Uncle actually gave me an old Bogen 3100 tripod. However the thing is really difficult to use and I am having a hell of a time leveling the damn thing. :lol :lol

But yeah, I need something lightweight that would be good for the outdoors.

You could always just buy a new head (not sure what the 3100 is), but yeah, lightweight and sturdy do not usually go together. There are lighter models to the Manfrotto range, none I would say are super light enough to go hiking or anything - unless you want to fork out for Carbon Fibre tripods.

I have had a number of tripods and never ended up using them due to inconvenience.

mrkgoo said:
You could always just buy a new head (not sure what the 3100 is), but yeah, lightweight and sturdy do not usually go together. There are lighter models to the Manfrotto range, none I would say are super light enough to go hiking or anything - unless you want to fork out for Carbon Fibre tripods.

I have had a number of tripods and never ended up using them due to inconvenience.

Yeah I am reading into tripods now. Did not realize it's a two component deal. :lol Apparently this 3100 is a pretty lightweight for a Borgen. What kind of head would I be looking for/ or how much should I look to spend?

If you have a spare tripod/head, I would have no qualm buying it off of you.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
Yeah I am reading into tripods now. Did not realize it's a two component deal. :lol Apparently this 3100 is a pretty lightweight for a Borgen. What kind of head would I be looking for/ or how much should I look to spend?

Ballheads are a good compromise - they are easy to adjust and fairly light. They lose out in being as rigid (for example, when you lock them down, they inevitably don't lock at your setting).

mrkgoo said:
Ballheads are a good compromise - they are easy to adjust and fairly light. They lose out in being as rigid (for example, when you lock them down, they inevitably don't lock at your setting).

Interesting. Sheesh I have a ridiculous amount to learn. Only a few days ago did I finally understand how aperture works. I was wondering why I couldn't get a decent landscape shot out of my 50mm. :lol :lol (I know the 50mm is a shallow field lens anyways, but I like it better than my kit lens)

Looks like it's amazon time haha.

BlueTsunami

I've also read that Ballheads are the most important part of the tripod. The base itself just needs to extend easily and be stable, its the ballhead that you'll be fidgeting with most of the time (trying to level it, switching between portrait and landscape orientation etc). As far as leveling, the 7D's internal leveling function must be a godsend to those who worry about such things.

tino

Banned
OK that Sigma 8-16 is pretty insane. (I have seem photo of Sigma 12-24 FF lens that has so much distortion it made me stomach sick.)

The Samsang is interesting. It's thee direct competitor of LX3 and S90. Although I don't trust Samsung. They haven't done to good job to build relationship with their users.

Forsete

Rumors are saying Sony is coming out with 2 EVIL APS-C sized cameras. New mount, they will be using an E-mount instead of the current A-mount, but A-mount lenses will work fully via a adapter.

Might be interesting.

Though I don't expect to see it people are saying the new 7-series Alpha will be announced.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nikon Rumors predicts a Nikon DSLR announcement tomorrow based on . . . his/her gut feeling :lol

Oh lord, I hope that it comes true. Nikon's been on quite a roll with their high end cameras these past 3 years.

Forsete

Here we go, a press release just went up on Sony Electronics Press Center.

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_r...digital_cameras/cyber-shot/release/56463.html

New concept α products being shown include an ultra compact model with interchangeable lenses, additions to the α family (including a successor to the α700), along with new TX5 and H55 Cyber-shot® cameras, new printers and other accessories.

α DSLR Camera

In addition to the current DSLR-A230, A330, A380, A500, A550, A850 and A900 digital SLR cameras, the following concept camera bodies and interchangeable lenses will be exhibited. Current interchange lenses, including Carl Zeiss® and G lens products will also be on display.
  • Concept model of an ultra-compact interchangeable lens digital camera system that packs the quality of a DSLR camera in an extraordinarily small body, along with interchangeable lenses
  • Mid-range concept camera for advanced users (a successor to the α700) as well as concept mainstream models
  • Prototype of a Super Telephoto Lens (500mm F4 G) with class-leading optical performance
  • Prototype of a Distagon T 24mm F2 ZA SSM, new Carl Zeiss wide angle lens for superior shots of landscapes and sweeping vistas

Very happy about this. :) Hopefully the presentation itself will house more specs regarding both cameras.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cool stuff. I would love to see more competition, innovation, and progress in the large sensor compact body designs.

Hopefully we'll eventually get something close to a Leica M9 that doesn't cost 9 grand.

Forsete

Pictures, still no specs.

PMA_2010_Sony_1.jpg

Obviously not complete. No connectors to the lenses. APS sized sensor.

PMA_2010_Sony_2.jpg

Lenses for the compact Alphas

PMA_2010_Sony_3.jpg

500mm F4 G and the Zeiss 24 F2

PMA_2010_Sony_4.jpg

Two myserious DSLRS.. The big one with the top LCD is most likely the new 7-series.. The small one could be the replacement for the 3 series. Both have AVCHD printed on them, so finally HD video from Sony.

PMA_2010_Sony_5.jpg

BlueTsunami

I hope this lil' APS-C cameras has some sort of EVF (at least an external one). Sony being in the OLED market, they could make a really nice EVF.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
So wait, they made a set of ultracompacts with "ultracompact" lenses?

I guess it's comparable to the Olympus Pen and Panasonic GF1, which both use the micro 4/3 standard. Sony haven't announced what mount they are using, I don't think. Probably their own, but it would be neat if they were using the micro 4/3 too.

Of course, APS-C is slightly larger than the 4/3, so it'll probably be their own proprietary mount.

Forsete

They haven't said themselves as far as I am aware, but rumors say it is a new mount and it is their own mount. Its supposed to be compatible with alpha lenses, which is most important to me. ;)

Prez

I can only see those compact cameras work out as budget products. But knowing Sony they'll be more expensive than semi-professional SLRs.

mrkgoo

Forsete said:
They haven't said themselves as far as I am aware, but rumors say it is a new mount and it is their own mount. Its supposed to be compatible with alpha lenses, which is most important to me. ;)

Actually, that would be cool - an adaptor that is basically an extender making it compatible with their dSLR range. A very sweet idea.

But holy crap at holding that thing if that's the case. You'll literally be mounting a sensor on a lens. Like mounting a sensor, plus a shutter button onto your lens. Cool.

Forsete

Stabbie said:
I can only see those compact cameras work out as budget products. But knowing Sony they'll be more expensive than semi-professional SLRs.

They are more or less going head to head with Samsung, Panasonic and Olympus.. So not so much higher than what those three charge.

mrkgoo: Lol, true.
My 1KG 24-70 would be something, or the 70-400. To tell the truth its the video mode that I am mostly interested in, so I hope they spend time on that.

Forsete said:
Here is the Sony boss holding one.

Nice. By the time I have enough money for a new camera, this, the GF2, Canon G12 will all be out and hopefully others for me to choose from. Very much ready to move up from point and shoots, just need the cash.

Shit those things look awesome. I am still in college atm, so I will be sticking with my Canon XS for now. :lol :lol But once I get my first job, I wouldn't mind putting some money down for one of these guys.

tino

Banned
Rentahamster said:
These new cameras should have an electronic shutter too, so say hello to really fast flash sync speeds!

Dude it doesn't have hotshoe, that's a big let down compare to the EPL1. Since the micro 4/3s have semi-regular shutters I guess this one will have too.

Also remote flash probably won't work at 1/1000 or higher speed.

Zyzyxxz

tino said:
Dude it doesn't have hotshoe, that's a big let down compare to the EPL1. Since the micro 4/3s have semi-regular shutters I guess this one will have too.

its not a working concept so it may still hit the final prototype

Chorazin

Rentahamster said:
Nikon Rumors predicts a Nikon DSLR announcement tomorrow based on . . . his/her gut feeling :lol

Oh lord, I hope that it comes true. Nikon's been on quite a roll with their high end cameras these past 3 years.

Well, considering Nikon's press release only mentioned an existing DSLR, I wouldn't be expecting much.

I was really hoping for a D90 replacement to be announced so retailers would put the D90 on clearance. Oh well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
tino said:

You don't necessarily need a hotshoe. It would just depend on how fast you can set the manual flash on the camera.

Chorazin said:
Well, considering Nikon's press release only mentioned an existing DSLR, I wouldn't be expecting much.

I was really hoping for a D90 replacement to be announced so retailers would put the D90 on clearance. Oh well.
Yep, Nikon Rumors admin was right about a press release about 2 cameras...but it was about 2 cameras that were already released :lol

Oh well. Hopefully there's something in the near future.

Hey PhotoGaf, look what I found yestarday in Moscow:

capturedcran20100222135.png

capturedcran20100222140.png

capturedcran20100222140.png

A Kiev 88 from 83. The soviet replica of Hasselblad. The full frame (6x6cm) visor is gorgous (even if reversed) and the scope for manuel focus is the most precise thing I've ever seen... It has a film to be developped before... october 89 with it :lol

tino

Banned
The Sony EVIL (I know its not an EVIL without the viewfinder, but I like to call it anyway) is a really early prototype. There is not even mount design. They just put up a small brick with some cylindrical things with glasses on both ends. This is as early an announcement as Samsung from last year, when they didn't even bother to put up a brick, just announced it in an interview.

IMO, there is only one explanation Sony announces the platform so early, they know someone else is make EVIL cameras. Since Canon stands to loss more market in the premium point-and-shoot arena, the only logical brand would be Nikon. I hope its really 2.5X like the rumor say.

Chorazin

Used my Lowepro Slingshot 200AW pack this weekend for the first time, and man is that an excellent backpack. Held my camera and lenses very securely, and allowed me to quickly and easily change the lenses. If you need to carry your camera and a few lenses with you this is certainly a pack you'll want to check out!

Keldor

I'm new to DSLR cameras and have been reading through this thread. What's everyone's opinion on the Nikon D5000? I'll mostly be using this to take pics of my kids, vacations, etc. I don't plan on getting to serious with photography but would like this to be the last camera I buy for a long time.

Chorazin

Keldor said:
I'm new to DSLR cameras and have been reading through this thread. What's everyone's opinion on the Nikon D5000? I'll mostly be using this to take pics of my kids, vacations, etc. I don't plan on getting to serious with photography but would like this to be the last camera I buy for a long time.

I've looked into it, and it's pretty much a Nikon D90 with some of the features (most notable is the loss of the internal lens focus motor, enabling autofocus on older, non AF-S lenses) stripped out.

That really shouldn't effect you, as the only other lens you'll ever need for what you said you'll use it for is the telephoto 55-200 AF-S VR lens, and that's compatable with the D40/D40x/D3000/D5000 family.

Go for it, you'll be very very happy with it for a very long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom