• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2_

stldave2 said:
lenses.jpg

Just got my 14-24 f2.8 Nikkor the other day, now I'm full frame compliant... except for the body of course:lol

All I need to do now is upgrade to the 70-200 VRII and find my currently misplaced 105 f2.8 macro and I'm all set!

*bows to the holy trinity*

Zyzyxxz

reggieandTFE said:
I've been wanting to get into photography for a while and the e-pl1 seemed to hit the sweet spot of price, accessibility and potential for me. Mine came in from Amazon today.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zehw95.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2nu25ts.jpg[IMG]

In my early impressions it's clear that the UI was designed for a novice like me. The "live guide" features allow you to adjust the settings using plain English terms. There are also helpful tips for framing shots and other beginning photography lessons directly on the camera. Of course, this can all be avoided, but I think it's great.[/QUOTE]

sample pics!

Alright ladies and gents, I am looking to get a telescoping lens to compliment my 50mm 1.8 Canon lens.

I plan to use it for photographing wildlife, nature, and light use in sports.

Any suggestions in the 2-400 dollar range?

hEist

The_Inquisitor said:
Alright ladies and gents, I am looking to get a telescoping lens to compliment my 50mm 1.8 Canon lens.

with this $ range, i would suggest the 18-200mm IS 4.5. dunno what the others will say, but i think better lenses <400 bucks.
but it's the best lens on this price and got also an IS, which is gold on 200mm.

hEist said:
with this $ range, i would suggest the 18-200mm IS 4.5. dunno what the others will say, but i think better lenses <400 bucks.
but it's the best lens on this price and got also an IS, which is gold on 200mm.

Could you link it on amazon or whatnot. I am having a hard time finding it @ <400 dollars.

reggieandTFE said:
I've been wanting to get into photography for a while and the e-pl1 seemed to hit the sweet spot of price, accessibility and potential for me. Mine came in from Amazon today.

1zehw95.jpg

2nu25ts.jpg

In my early impressions it's clear that the UI was designed for a novice like me. The "live guide" features allow you to adjust the settings using plain English terms. There are also helpful tips for framing shots and other beginning photography lessons directly on the camera. Of course, this can all be avoided, but I think it's great.

The only thing I don't like about the e-pl1 is the lack of a control wheel on the rear. Cycling through menus with just the buttons seems like it would be annoying.

stldave2 said:
lenses.jpg

Just got my 14-24 f2.8 Nikkor the other day, now I'm full frame compliant... except for the body of course:lol

All I need to do now is upgrade to the 70-200 VRII and find my currently misplaced 105 f2.8 macro and I'm all set!

288ns4m.jpg

MMMPH! Damn, them lenses are hot

Zyzyxxz

mrkapawutzis said:
The only thing I don't like about the e-pl1 is the lack of a control wheel on the rear. Cycling through menus with just the buttons seems like it would be annoying.

its targeted for consumer and entry level users who either don't know the benefit of extra controls or are still use to it.

hEist

The_Inquisitor said:
Could you link it on amazon or whatnot. I am having a hard time finding it @ <400 dollars.

ah i see.
thought the lens is also about 400 bucks (like in .eu) over their.
then, i don't know, maybe a used one.

eso76

Just bought myself this:

7572_19911.JPG

and i couldn't be happier with clarity, sharpness, color fidelty, zoom range, weight, built quality and canon third generation IS for the price (used for 650 $)

A few pics i took as test:

*disclaimer* these are awful pics, shot quickly while walking around with the sole purpose of testing these lenses. They are terrible, but quite useful as tests *

sharpness: someone on forums was not too happy with sharpness beyond 70mm. Keep in mind that some detail was lost with jpeg compression

test_1.jpg

test_1_crop.jpg

105 mm
f/8
1/640

no post processing

test_2.jpg

test_2_crop.jpg

105 mm
f/6.3
1/400

no post processing

Image Stabilizer test

is_test_1.jpg

is_test_1_crop.jpg

Not too sharp (and the pic is awful anyway, as are the others) but if you consider this was taken while walking around, handheld at 1/5 and it still menages to look good when resized at 50% i find it very impressive

is_test_2.jpg

is_test_2_crop.jpg

Again, not the best but this was captured handheld at 1/15 and it's still very good for printing

Hey guys,

I'm going in about an hour to a store in India to buy a tripod, a camera bag as well as to look at lenses. Right now I have a Canon EOS 500D (T1i) and the kit lens.

What do you guys suggest for a cheap tripod? Please give me height + weight specs, as the companies you guys know might not be available here in India. After looking at the specs you guys put up (hopefully for soemthing cheap), i'll look for the brands available here which conform to the specs.

Also looking for a cheap telephoto & a cheap landscape lens. Any good beginner canon lens you guys would recommend?

P.S. Seems like the operative word of this post is "Cheap." :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
24-105 was my standard walkaround lens when I had my 40D & 50D. When/if I buy a 7D or maybe a 550D, I'd like to get something slightly cheaper, and I've heard good things about the 15-85IS. But I know I'll be tempted by the 24-105 again.

mrklaw said:
24-105 was my standard walkaround lens when I had my 40D & 50D. When/if I buy a 7D or maybe a 550D, I'd like to get something slightly cheaper, and I've heard good things about the 15-85IS. But I know I'll be tempted by the 24-105 again.
Is 24-105 going to be a good enough replacement for a zoom lens? I dont plan on buying too many lenses, I just want to buy one of each type so I have a complete set of lenses.

What would be a good macro lens?

eso76

mrklaw said:

Are you replacing a 50D with a 550D, did i get it right ? why would you ?

Genuine question, since built quality apart, 550D specs look better than 50D's (my camera) on paper at least. And it's considerably cheaper, to the point i've been considering trading. But my next camera will probably be a full frame, i'll probably wait for Canon to release the 5DmkIII to get the 5DmkII for cheap.

I've had my 24-105 for 2 days and i don't know how i menaged without, before.
I've seen more of an improvement, IQ-wise, by upgrading to L lens than going from 300D to 50D last year.

Is 24-105 going to be a good enough replacement for a zoom lens?

it definitely covers a wide range and performs very well at all focal lenghts. Landscapes, general purpose, portraits, semi tele. I'm not a fan of sub 24 focal lenghts or fisheye, i can foresee 24-105 staying on my camera 99% of the time, only occasionally replaced by a 70-300mm.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I sold my 50D about 6-9 months ago, and have been managing with a Panasonic TZ7 ever since. VERY tempted to buy a 7D, but the metering of the 550D makes it a contender, although its a bit small for me (had a 350d and much prefer the size of the 40D/50D). TBH I'd want the AF module from the 7D though. A 60D would be nice. Canon? Hello?

I never had a problem with the 24-105 as a walkaround zoom. Never much found myself needing wider day to day, and much preferred having a little extra length. didn't get on with the 18-55 as it was too short. the new 15-85IS is probably a decent compromise and I'll be looking closely at that too

i <3 my 24-105mm f/4 except for one thing, that it doesn't get quite wide enough for my tastes on a crop frame body. other than that the range is perfect for pretty much anything. i'm saving up for a 16-35mm f/2.8 to cover the rest of that range i want.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
All this talk about the 24-105, where is the love for the 24-70L?

Here are some of my pics (no post processing)

a20ba368.jpg

d081efa1.jpg

2b6dbf6d.jpg

The Bokeh on this lens is WONDERFUL, I need so much practice to utilize it better.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:

I know it's over your budget but take a look at the 70-200f4l. It's about $600.

It's not super long nor that fast, but it's an l lens and a cheap one at that. AmazinG image quality.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So,
Just got all my gear insured. $66 for a little over $5200 in equipment. Covers theft and accidental damage(as long as im not a dumbass) and no deductible.
I would definitely recommend it since i know a lot of you have really nice stuff.

Chorazin

captive said:
So,
Just got all my gear insured. $66 for a little over $5200 in equipment. Covers theft and accidental damage(as long as im not a dumbass) and no deductible.
I would definitely recommend it since i know a lot of you have really nice stuff.

Maybe you could share where you insured your equipment at?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Chorazin said:
Maybe you could share where you insured your equipment at?
i just got it through farmers, same place i have my car and home insured from.
Pretty much any insurance company could do i would think.

Chorazin

captive said:
i just got it through farmers, same place i have my car and home insured from.
Pretty much any insurance company could do i would think.

Ah, cool. I thought maybe you used a special camera insurance company that specialized in it. :)

mrkgoo said:
I know it's over your budget but take a look at the 70-200f4l. It's about $600.

It's not super long nor that fast, but it's an l lens and a cheap one at that. AmazinG image quality.

Wait so this thing is fast enough for sports photography. That would be a HUGE plus for me. Problem is, that lens cost twice as much as I paid for my XS. :lol :lol I will take it into consideration if it can be used for sports.

Also I was wondering if it was worth it to buy a lens hood for my 50mm.

My Manfrotto quick release also came in today! Looks great on my tripod. Can't wait to go shooting at the lake tomorrow.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The_Inquisitor said:
Wait so this thing is fast enough for sports photography. That would be a HUGE plus for me. Problem is, that lens cost twice as much as I paid for my XS. :lol :lol I will take it into consideration if it can be used for sports.

I would definitely save for it. Great build, sharp, L colors, constant aperture. Its also very affordable compared to other L's (most hitting above the 1k mark). I believe it used to go for $500 too, before the US dollar tanked. With this lens you won't be pining for better optical quality since you'll be hitting the point where paying for better quality swings largely in relation to the more nuanced improvements (well, other than larger aperture).

Here's the Canon Flickr Group 70-200/F2 pool...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/CanonEF70200mmf4LUSM/

And here's the pool to the non L variant (not too sure how it performs though), the 55-200/F4.5-5.6

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/CanonEF55200mmf4556IIUSM/

BlueTsunami said:
I would definitely save for it. Great build, sharp, L colors, constant aperture. Its also very affordable compared to other L's (most hitting above the 1k mark). I believe it used to go for $500 too, before the US dollar tanked. With this lens you won't be pinning for better optical quality since you'll be hitting the point where paying for more quality swings largely in relation to the more nuanced improvements (well, other than larger aperture).

Fair enough. So between my kit lens, my 50mm prime , and this I should pretty much have most of the spectrum covered I believe. :lol Probably just a macro lens if I really want one.

Edit: Holy hell, you can get the 2nd one for about 150 dollars. But the reviews aren't too hot.

Hell, I am going to get it this summer. I always buy myself something nice every summer since I get paid to intern. This might be it. I am getting more and more serious about photography by the day. I might sell my lightly used xbox 360 and games to generate some revenue. Photography > gaming.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
Fair enough. So between my kit lens, my 50mm prime , and this I should pretty much have most of the spectrum covered I believe. :lol Probably just a macro lens if I really want one.

Sports is a tough call. I've used it for sports before, while not ideal it's pretty good. Depends on the sport. The point is, you'll need a fast focus and fast shutter. It's pretty decent focus, so no problems there. Fast shutter depends on what sport and where you'll be. It's fine for out door sports if you're at the side line. Indoors will be tougher and you'll need to bump the iso up, so it depends if you're willing to do that.

I've heard good things about the 70-300 IS, which is a comparable price and what everyone compares it to. You gain some reach, perhaps lose a bit of aperture (not sure what the aperture is at 200mm on this lens). I went with the 70-200 because I wanted an 'L', just to see what the fuss was about, and it was glorious (great build).

If you want to know my lens path:

I started with a 350D (Rebel XT), and the kit non-IS 18-55mm. I bought 50mm f/1.8 because everyone should make that a staple in the beginning. I then bought a 60mm Macro f/2.8 - I like the short-tele range, and this would be fastish, allow me macro, and a next step up in quality.

I then purchased a 70-200 f4L to extend my reach (and to get an 'L').

After that I upgraded my kit lens to a 17-55 f/2.8IS.

Later added an 85mm f/1.8 to be a DOF-fiend.

Just for the sake of it, I bought an extender 1.4 for my 700-200.

Then purchased a 17-40 mm EF, because I was sick of my 17-55 being so fragile (that said, the 17-55 knocks the socks off my 17-40 in optical quality).

mrkgoo said:
Sports is a tough call. I've used it for sports before, while not ideal it's pretty good. Depends on the sport. The point is, you'll need a fast focus and fast shutter. It's pretty decent focus, so no problems there. Fast shutter depends on what sport and where you'll be. It's fine for out door sports if you're at the side line. Indoors will be tougher and you'll need to bump the iso up, so it depends if you're willing to do that.

I've heard good things about the 70-300 IS, which is a comparable price and what everyone compares it to. You gain some reach, perhaps lose a bit of aperture (not sure what the aperture is at 200mm on this lens). I went with the 70-200 because I wanted an 'L', just to see what the fuss was about, and it was glorious (great build).

I started with a 350D (Rebel XT), and the kit non-IS 18-55mm. I bought 50mm f/1.8 because everyone should make that a staple in the beginning. I then bought a 60mm Macro f/2.8 - I like the short-tele range, and this would be fastish, allow me macro, and a next step up in quality.

Then purchased a 17-40 mm EF, because I was sick of my 17-55 being so fragile (that said, the 17-55 knocks the socks off my 17-40 in optical quality).

Haha holy hell, my lens path is exactly like yours so far. I'm probably going to skip the 60mm for now. About how long after your 50mm did you pic up the 70-200 f4L?

-Rogue5-

Does anyone have old glass they're looking to sell (should I even be asking)?

I'm looking for manual Nikkor primes (read old and cheap, but still decent glass!) Specifically 24mm (or Series E 28mm), 35mm f2.0, and 85mm at the fastest f-stop possible (nothing slower than f2.8). I'd be interested in Series E stuff simply because it'll be a better price. I currently have an 35mm f2.8 and a 50 f1.4, so I wanted to get the others to fill out the line-up (or, in the case of the 35mm, just faster.) I don't think I'd need anything wider than 24mm, but if you've got something (18mm?) it might be worth mentioning.

OR a used EOS-mount Sigma 24-70 EX DG f2.8... I figured since they just released the new HSM with image stablization there might be a few people getting rid of their old Siggies for el-cheapo.

BlueTsunami

-Rogue5- said:
Does anyone have old glass they're looking to sell (should I even be asking)?

I'm looking for manual Nikkor primes (read old and cheap, but still decent glass!) Specifically 24mm (or Series E 28mm), 35mm f2.0, and 85mm at the fastest f-stop possible (nothing slower than f2.8). I'd be interested in Series E stuff simply because it'll be a better price. I currently have an 35mm f2.8 and a 50 f1.4, so I wanted to get the others to fill out the line-up (or, in the case of the 35mm, just faster.) I don't think I'd need anything wider than 24mm, but if you've got something (18mm?) it might be worth mentioning.

OR a used EOS-mount Sigma 24-70 EX DG f2.8... I figured since they just released the new HSM with image stablization there might be a few people getting rid of their old Siggies for el-cheapo.

Have you checked out at www.Keh.com? They have a nice section devoted to older gear. Here's a link to the Nikon section

http://www.keh.com/Class-Products/1/NK/6/55957/WG.aspx

Someone is selling the 28/2.8 AI-S for $205 which is wow

http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/NK06010200045N/NK06/FE.aspx

Supposed to be almost equal with the Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 (Contax) and has a unique rendering quality when used close up.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
Haha holy hell, my lens path is exactly like yours so far. I'm probably going to skip the 60mm for now. About how long after your 50mm did you pic up the 70-200 f4L?

First image taken (No. images taken to date):
EFS-18-55: 10 March 2006 (369)
EF50mm f/1.8: 22 March 2006 (1,229)
EFS-60mm MAcro: 18 April 2006 (2,986)
Ef70-200 f/4L: 28 April 2006 (5,008)
EFS-17-55 f/2.8 IS: 25 August 2006 (13,080)
EF85mm f/1.8: 29 April 2008 (2,852)
EF 1.4II: 20 January 2009 (704)
EF17-40f4L: 10 October 2009 (830)

mrkgoo said:
First image taken:
EFS-18-55: 10 March 2006
EF50mm f/1.8: 22 March 2006
EFS-60mm MAcro: 18 April 2006
Ef70-200 f/4L: 28 April 2006
EFS-17-55 f/2.8 IS: 25 August 2006
EF85mm f/1.8: 29 April 2008
EF 1.4II: 20 January 2009
EF17-40f4L: 10 October 2009

Holy hell, you didnt screw around when buying lenses initially did you. :lol Stupid weak dollar is actually punishing me for not getting my lens sooner. I plan to pick up the Ef70-200 f/4L: after I get my first paycheck in May. Thanks guys.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
Holy hell, you didnt screw around when buying lenses initially did you. :lol Stupid weak dollar is actually punishing me for not getting my lens sooner. I plan to pick up the Ef70-200 f/4L: after I get my first paycheck in May. Thanks guys.

I'm going to say I wish you could afford the 70-200f4L IS. Just as good optical quality, but with Is, but that's way out of price range. I wish I had IS on mine :(.

But it's still a great lens.

I'm not surprised that the 50mm, 70-200f4L and 60mm macro are in your line of sight. They are all great lenses, and relatively inexpensive with great quality.

Out of all the lenses I've purchased, my biggest regret is somewhat the 17-55 IS - it's a great lens but it has broken down for me too many times. That is why I bought the 17-40, but even that isn't a perfect lens (17-55 is sharper, and way more versatility). I knife do regret getting the 17-40, because that was kind of anger-purchased after sending in my 17-55 for the 6th time.

Yes, I did go kinda crazy at the beginning :lol, But you can see how they treated me quite well after I 'completed' my set. I've used the 85mm a lot since I got it too. Love that thing.
ibcyalater: I have been inspired to use my 85mm f/1.8 a bit more in the next while, thanks :)

mrkgoo said:
I'm going to say I wish you could afford the 70-200f4L IS. Just as good optical quality, but with Is, but that's way out of price range. I wish I had IS on mine :(.

But it's still a great lens.

I'm not surprised that the 50mm, 70-200f4L and 60mm macro are in your line of sight. They are all great lenses, and relatively inexpensive with great quality.

Out of all the lenses I've purchased, my biggest regret is somewhat the 17-55 IS - it's a great lens but it has broken down for me too many times. That is why I bought the 17-40, but even that isn't a perfect lens (17-55 is sharper, and way more versatility). I knife do regret getting the 17-40, because that was kind of anger-purchased after sending in my 17-55 for the 6th time.

Yes, I did go kinda crazy at the beginning :lol, But you can see how they treated me quite well after I 'completed' my set. I've used the 85mm a lot since I got it too. Love that thing.
ibcyalater: I have been inspired to use my 85mm f/1.8 a bit more in the next while, thanks :)

Wish I could too. But 1.2k is too much considering I am a college student still. Perhaps when I get my job in a year I will trade in and get the IS version. In the meantime, I am going to get as much as I possibly can out of my 50mm. Will be doing plenty of "foot" zooming with it and my tripod when I go back to the lake tomorrow. Some of you may remember the photos I took at that lake. They were the first set I ever uploaded to the OT. It's been a few months since that trip, so it will be interesting to see what kind of photos I can get this time around since I have accrued what seems like a wealth of knowledge in a short amount of time.

Zyzyxxz

mrkgoo said:

How much will the IS help on that lens? I just sold my D40 and lenses so I'm thinking of picking up a Canon T2i, a 70-200 F4 L is one of the lenses I would seriously consider but the IS version is twice as much as the non-IS.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
Wish I could too. But 1.2k is too much considering I am a college student still. Perhaps when I get my job in a year I will trade in and get the IS version. In the meantime, I am going to get as much as I possibly can out of my 50mm. Will be doing plenty of "foot" zooming with it and my tripod when I go back to the lake tomorrow. Some of you may remember the photos I took at that lake. They were the first set I ever uploaded to the OT. It's been a few months since that trip, so it will be interesting to see what kind of photos I can get this time around since I have accrued what seems like a wealth of knowledge in a short amount of time.

Yeah - once the photobug bites, it doesn't let go....

mrkgoo

Zyzyxxz said:
How much will the IS help on that lens? I just sold my D40 and lenses so I'm thinking of picking up a Canon T2i, a 70-200 F4 L is one of the lenses I would seriously consider but the IS version is twice as much as the non-IS.

Untold amounts. It's the latest generation 4-stops.

If it's anything like IS I have used, it means you'll be able to take handheld shots at 200mm at like 1/20s. That is awesome. The lens is basically a day-time, outdoors only lens (when handheld), but IS make it actual useable indoors. I would think it makes a big difference in that regard - going from a specific purpose (outdoor) to more general purpose).

Zyzyxxz said:

Huge. From what I have read it allows you to get away with at least 2 graduations on the shutter speed wheel (not sure what it's formally called.)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
mrkgoo said:

Holy crap, my lens path is so different.

Bought an XSi, got the 18-55mm IS kit lens.
Upgraded to a 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 lens (it was great, haters be dammed)
Bought an 85mm f1.8
Then bought a 24-70mm f2.8L

I am looking into buying the 135L or the 70-200L (f2.8 w/out IS or the f4 w/IS)

Zyzyxxz

mrkgoo said:
Untold amounts. It's the latest generation 4-stops.

If it's anything like IS I have used, it means you'll be able to take handheld shots at 200mm at like 1/20s. That is awesome. The lens is basically a day-time, outdoors only lens (when handheld), but IS make it actual useable indoors. I would think it makes a big difference in that regard - going from a specific purpose (outdoor) to more general purpose).

that makes me sad though. I'm not sure if I should save up or pick up a 70-200 without the IS now if I get the T2i/550D

-Rogue5-

BlueTsunami said:
Have you checked out at www.Keh.com? They have a nice section devoted to older gear. Here's a link to the Nikon section

http://www.keh.com/Class-Products/1/NK/6/55957/WG.aspx

Someone is selling the 28/2.8 AI-S for $205 which is wow

http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/NK06010200045N/NK06/FE.aspx

Supposed to be almost equal with the Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 (Contax) and has a unique rendering quality when used close up.

Crazy you mentioned Keh... someone I know just mentioned it to me yesterday night. I really want to buy a "BGN" (bargin) lens from them and see how the quality is... they say damage is superficial and doesn't affect the quality of the photo (and some are SOOO cheap.)

I've heard the exact same thing about AISs (that's what my 35mm f2.8 is), which is pretty fantastic given the cost difference. I still *want* a Zeiss prime set eventually (like those compact primes I mentioned a while back), but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't worth it for me right now.

OH man... There's some 24mm F2.0 AISs for $300 (BGN)... I sooooo tempted. There's also Series E 28mm 2.8s for like $80... that's retardo-cheap. I have a 50/1.8 Series E (that is just sitting collecting dust right now) and I honestly can't tell the difference between it and my 50/1.4 non-AI. Decisions, decisions. I was just kind of hoping someone on here would have all the lenses I wanted and just wanted to get rid of them.

Next lens I want for my 5DII is the 16-35 2.8L- I find myself much more drawn to wide angle compositions than telephoto ones, though I imagine it takes a bit of practice to really get used to framing shots at 16mm on full frame. A friend I go out shooting with knows a Canon sales rep that she's borrowed lenses from in the past...I'm hoping she has a 16-35 I can take for a test drive sometime.

BlueTsunami

-Rogue5- said:
Crazy you mentioned Keh... someone I know just mentioned it to me yesterday night. I really want to buy a "BGN" (bargin) lens from them and see how the quality is... they say damage is superficial and doesn't affect the quality of the photo (and some are SOOO cheap.)

I've heard the exact same thing about AISs (that's what my 35mm f2.8 is), which is pretty fantastic given the cost difference. I still *want* a Zeiss prime set eventually (like those compact primes I mentioned a while back), but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't worth it for me right now.

OH man... There's some 24mm F2.0 AISs for $300 (BGN)... I sooooo tempted. There's also Series E 28mm 2.8s for like $80... that's retardo-cheap. I have a 50/1.8 Series E (that is just sitting collecting dust right now) and I honestly can't tell the difference between it and my 50/1.4 non-AI. Decisions, decisions. I was just kind of hoping someone on here would have all the lenses I wanted and just wanted to get rid of them.

On Fred Miranda, I've read that people have had luck with BGN level lenses. One person stated that he's had better experience with bargain lenses on KEH than lenses there were supposed to be in good condition on Ebay.

eso76

Zyzyxxz said:

it basically changes the way you take pictures. Third gen IS on canon lens allowes me to take decent images handheld even at 1/5, sharp images at 1/13 most of the time, and absolutely sharp images at 1/30. Obviously, it helps as long as the subject is relatively still; being able to use a longer exposure to take pics of moving animals won't help for example.

So I've been playing around with my new e-pl1 for a couple of days and now it's time to start looking at the pictures. Can I get some recommendations on some 1)importing/sorting and 2)editing software? I'm not looking to blow hundreds on the full photoshop, but I can also spend some money so I don't have to rely on the bare-bones free ware options. I also don't care if the two program satisfies both of my goals at at the same time; I'm fine with two separate programs (one for sorting and one for editing.) Thanks.

mrkgoo

reggieandTFE said:
So I've been playing around with my new e-pl1 for a couple of days and now it's time to start looking at the pictures. Can I get some recommendations on some 1)importing/sorting and 2)editing software? I'm not looking to blow hundreds on the full photoshop, but I can also spend some money so I don't have to rely on the bare-bones free ware options. I also don't care if the two program satisfies both of my goals at at the same time; I'm fine with two separate programs (one for sorting and one for editing.) Thanks.
If you have a mac, iPhoto is really very good. Possibly the best consumer managing program out there, and pretty decent editor too.

I hear photoshop elements is a good editor for photos too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Some new instant rebate programs from Nikon. It probably won't be that useful to a lot of you since you have to buy a camera to qualify. But if you were gonna get one anyway...

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/02/26/nikon-instant-rebates-now-available-online.aspx

Adorama has already listed the different DSLR + lens combos on their website. Make sure you check the prices again before you buy, some combos may not be updated yet. This is suppose to be an instant saving deal – no need to mail-in rebates. Here are some examples - click on a link to see the total price:

Nikon D5000 combos:

* Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera with 24-70mm f/2.8G E D-IF AF-S
* Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera with 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II ED-IF
* Nikon D5000 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera with 18-200 VRII Lens

Nikon D90 combos:

* Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera with 24-70mm f/2.8G E D-IF AF-S
* Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera with 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II ED-IF
* Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera with Nikon 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S

Nikon D300s combos:

* Nikon D300S SLR Digital Camera with 24-70mm f/2.8G E D-IF AF-S
* Nikon D300S SLR Digital Camera with 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II ED-IF
* Nikon D300S SLR Digital Camera with 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S

Nikon D700 combos:

* Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera with 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II ED-IF
* Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera with 24-70mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S

Nikon D3s combos:

* Nikon D3S Digital SLR Camera with 24-70mm f/2.8G E D-IF AF-S
* Nikon D3S Digital SLR Camera with 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II ED-IF
* Nikon D3S Digital SLR Camera with Nikon 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S

Nikon D3x combos:

* Nikon D3X Digital SLR 24.5 Megapixel Camera with 24-70mm f/2.8G E D-IF AF-S
* Nikon D3X Digital SLR 24.5 Megapixel Camera with 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR II ED-IF
* Nikon D3X Digital SLR 24.5 Megapixel Camera with Nikon 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S

…and so on… basically just go to Adorama and search for the DSLR model you are interested in and you will see all available combos (the listings are easy to spot because they do not have a product image). Not sure why FX body and DX lens combos are also available :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom