• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

guess

New lens arrived yesterday.
4482506490_5337697af6.jpg

taken with 50mm 1.4
4481857877_98bc23cc54.jpg

taken with the new 28mm 1.8
4482506508_932b72bf2e.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
JLateralus said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS?

I currently have a XT kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8. I'm looking for something with a little more range in it and has decent image quality. I'm not expecting any L lens quality results, but various reviews of stuff I've been looking at online show a lot of really bad CA in lenses of this caliber. This one seems halfway decent, but it's hard to get a feel for real world opinions in a review.

I'd love to be able to spring for the relatively inexpensive 70-200mm f/4 L, but alas...

I've heard it called the 'nifty two fifty' which is high praise indeed. A great budget choice for more reach. The 70-300IS has faster focusing, and the 70-200 f4 is just all round the best you can get in that range, but the 55-250IS is supposed to be very good for the price so go for it!

mrklaw said:
I've heard it called the 'nifty two fifty' which is high praise indeed. A great budget choice for more reach. The 70-300IS has faster focusing, and the 70-200 f4 is just all round the best you can get in that range, but the 55-250IS is supposed to be very good for the price so go for it!

Thanks for the input! I've decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on it. Looking forward to getting some zoom!

cbox

JLateralus said:
Thanks for the input! I've decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on it. Looking forward to getting some zoom!

you don't by chance live in TO and got that lens at the source? I ask cause there was a huge sale on this morning that I missed out on :( That lens was 99 bucks!

eternal prize said:
you don't by chance live in TO and got that lens at the source? I ask cause there was a huge sale on this morning that I missed out on :( That lens was 99 bucks!

What?? No idea about that. I'm planning on getting the refurb at Adorama for $200. They're closed for Passover so I have until 4/6 to find a better deal. :lol

cbox

JLateralus said:
What?? No idea about that. I'm planning on getting the refurb at Adorama for $200. They're closed for Passover so I have until 4/6 to find a better deal. :lol

ah ok my bad :lol just a coincodence you were looking for that exact lens. Happy hunting!

Forsete

Found an awesome price for that 70-400. Import from Holland, no risk of having to pay tariff since its in EU. I have the weekend to think this over, I would really like to have it now when the spring is just starting.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
for any of the olympus users, olympus is offering rebates on select lenses. 200$ rebate on the 50-200 f2.8 SWD making it 776ish brand new from BHphoto.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm thinking about getting a B+W 77mm MRC circular polarizer filter. It'll cost me $130-$160 depending on whether I get it used. Am I needlessly spending that much for a CPL? I got scared by reading bad things about CPLs without multi-coating, plus everybody says to stick with the big names. This filter seems to almost universally be considered the best. I'm not even a pro-level photographer, but I figure that I'm going to get quality lenses at some point and if I'm already going to be spending $80 minimum on a CPL, I might as well go for the best as an investment.

Zyzyxxz

Anybody have any opinions about the Tokina 11-16mm vs 12-24mm?

It seems the 12-24 goes for much cheaper used while the 11-16 is sharper and faster.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
captive said:
for any of the olympus users, olympus is offering rebates on select lenses. 200$ rebate on the 50-200 f2.8 SWD making it 776ish brand new from BHphoto.

I wish I had money. That is the exact lens I want and need. :( Life is unfair.

captive

that sucks bro.
It's great deal, for those not in the know, 750 bucks for the 50-200SWD is less than what it was going for used just last week.

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
Anybody have any opinions about the Tokina 11-16mm vs 12-24mm?

It seems the 12-24 goes for much cheaper used while the 11-16 is sharper and faster.
Tokina is way better. Save for that you wont regret it. :D

Well I finally got a chance to upload some of my pictures to my cpu. I am away from my external which holds my pictures so this is a temporary thing until I get back to campus.

Holy shit the colors from my 70-200 are beyond fantastic. My photos would often come out looking a little washed out with my 50mm and 18-55 kit lenses. Not anymore.

I might edit some now and post them in the Q2 thread. But I think I will just wait till I get back to school and edit then.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
Well I finally got a chance to upload some of my pictures to my cpu. I am away from my external which holds my pictures so this is a temporary thing until I get back to campus.

Holy shit the colors from my 70-200 are beyond fantastic. My photos would often come out looking a little washed out with my 50mm and 18-55 kit lenses. Not anymore.

I might edit some now and post them in the Q2 thread. But I think I will just wait till I get back to school and edit then.

Oh, you got it!

What do you think? Sharp? Opinion on the build and damped rings? USM?

Like I said, there is just some kind of 'quality' to 'L' lenses.

SnowWolf said:
I'm thinking about getting a B+W 77mm MRC circular polarizer filter. It'll cost me $130-$160 depending on whether I get it used. Am I needlessly spending that much for a CPL? I got scared by reading bad things about CPLs without multi-coating, plus everybody says to stick with the big names. This filter seems to almost universally be considered the best. I'm not even a pro-level photographer, but I figure that I'm going to get quality lenses at some point and if I'm already going to be spending $80 minimum on a CPL, I might as well go for the best as an investment.

I guess it's a good idea. I have a multi-coated Heliopan circ-pol. Personally, I go for the best. UV filters are probably a bigger concern IF I use them, since they're on more permanently. The polariser only goes on when I want to polarise. Still, you don't want to introduce anything unwanted.

Guess: Congrats! New gear is always fun.

mrkgoo said:
Oh, you got it!

What do you think? Sharp? Opinion on the build and damped rings? USM?

Like I said, there is just some kind of 'quality' to 'L' lenses.

I guess it's a good idea. I have a multi-coated Heliopan circ-pol. Personally, I go for the best. UV filters are probably a bigger concern IF I use them, since they're on more permanently. The polariser only goes on when I want to polarise. Still, you don't want to introduce anything unwanted.

Guess: Congrats! New gear is always fun.

The thing zooms so damn fast and quitely at that I can't believe it. I do need some practice with it though. I also had to really walk a ways back to get the bokeh i wanted on some distance shots. Needless to say, I have a lot of practice to do, but I think this is a great lens for the long hall.

Only problem is I am afraid my plastic Rebel XS is going to break using this. I now hold my camera by the lens in fear of the lens ripping the mount off my camera if I hold just from the grip.

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
I meany tokina 11-16 vs tokina 12-24

I can find used 12-24 for low $300 while the 11-16 is a bit harder to find
Save for the 11-16 its better than the nikon 12-24. just to put it in perspective...

What do you guys like to use for tripods? Is it better to stick with a well known brand like Manfrotto, or are there other good and reasonable brands to consider?

I'm pretty sure I want something aluminum and with a ball head.

captive

JLateralus said:
What do you guys like to use for tripods? Is it better to stick with a well known brand like Manfrotto, or are there other good and reasonable brands to consider?

I'm pretty sure I want something aluminum and with a ball head.
theres a lot of good quality brands in tripods
i have this manfrotto http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/16520/lang/en
with a shitty pan and tilt head, but will soon be upgrading to a acratech ballhead.

I went carbon fiber for weight and because aluminum transmits vibrations and carbon fiber absorbs vibrations.

i forgot to say manfrotto's quick release plates are pieces of shit! whatever you do get someone elses ball head if you want a quick release plate.

VNZ

I just got the sudden impulse to go buy a cheap Canon 50mm f/1.8 instead of taking the plunge on the more expensive f/1.4. After some quick research this morning I find myself liking the optical deficiencies of the 1.8 lens much more, like the heavy glare and less subtle bokeh.

I have to say I'm a bit disturbed by the heavy reliance of plastic in its construction though, but whatever... At that low price who cares how long it lasts.

123rl

I have the 50f1.8. The plastic construction doesn't bother me. It's a little noisy during focusing but I love that it's so light and small. Image quality is excellent for the price and I love being able to use f1.8

VNZ

I picked up the aforementioned 50mm f/1.8 today. Really diggin it after a quick "test roll" in the sunset by the Vltava river. Wide open the bokeh "pearls" are completely circular, very nice looking. The flare and glare are awesome. So is the toyish build quality. I wish there were more cheap primes like this, for the sole reason that I enjoy the comparatively bad optical characteristics of it.

Bear-tie

Neo Member
I'm looking to upgrade to a canon 7D soon so I'm going to sell what i have right now. Can anyone give me an idea as to how much i should sell the following for as a package?

Nikon D70s
Nikkor DX 18-70mm 3.5
Nikkor 50mm 1.8

invisibleB

Neo Member
hay guys an girls, need some info!
iv been doing a bit of reading as my sister wants to get a DSLR, and as im the tech-head in the house she wants my advice.

problem is she wants the advice now, as she wants to get the slr this weekend.... and im busy with work so ant done thats much reading.......... she said she looked at the nikon d90 and the canon eos 500 & 550d.

she dosent want to spend over £800 and she wants to use it for a good few years might even consider tacking it seriously!

what can she get that will do everything and would be upgradable with a lot of lens (as i heard somewhere that some SLR's, you are stuck with what you can buy aaaa "Sony")

what do you guys think she should get?

we all know Gaf dont sleep.. so though aaaaaa you could HELP :)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
invisibleB said:
iv been doing a bit of reading as my sister wants to get a DSLR, and as im the tech-head in the house she wants my advice.

problem is she wants the advice now, as she wants to get the slr this weekend.... and im busy with work so ant done thats much reading.......... she said she looked at the nikon d90 and the canon eos 500 & 550d.

she dosent want to spend over £800 and she wants to use it for a good few years might even consider tacking it seriously!

what can she get that will do everything and would be upgradable with a lot of lens (as i heard somewhere that some SLR's, you are stuck with what you can buy aaaa "Sony")

we all know Gaf dont sleep.. so though aaaaaa you could HELPPPP :)

I would get the 500D, I think its the cheapest of the group (from a quick Google search). Its $740 on Amazon. Its not bleeding edge tech but its a nice compromise. Its younger sibling (the T2i) was just released recently. It also records HD Video, if thats of any interest to her.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
invisibleB said:

we all know Gaf dont sleep.. so though aaaaaa you could HELPPPP :)

I dont mean to belittle you or question you, but the adding letters onto the end of words thing is very juvenile and not looked down on well here.

Other than that, I cannot help much. I am partial to Nikon, but anyway you go, you can't go wrong. You are getting a well-built camera that is out of the entry level range (well, they are high end entry level, but still) and have great modes for video, burst shooting, and the lens support for either are excellent. The only thing she can really do is go to a camera store and play around for like 20 minutes each at least on each one. try out the buttons, knobs, and menus and see which one you like better.

invisibleB

Neo Member
BlueTsunami said:
I would get the 500D, I think its the cheapest of the group (from a quick Google search). Its $740 on Amazon. Its not bleeding edge tech but its a nice compromise. Its younger sibling (the T2i) was just released recently. It also records HD Video, if thats of any interest to her.

thats just the models she looked at, at the moment. so not down to toughs, just wanted to see what everyone else thinks?

not to worried about price £800 Pound so probably in the $1000 - $1200 mark. and dont really care about video stuff (if it has it, its a bones) but its got to be kinda new at least.

thanks for your info though.

invisibleB

Neo Member
AlteredBeast said:
I dont mean to belittle you or question you, but the adding letters onto the end of words thing is very juvenile and not looked down on well here.

Other than that, I cannot help much. I am partial to Nikon, but anyway you go, you can't go wrong. You are getting a well-built camera that is out of the entry level range (well, they are high end entry level, but still) and have great modes for video, burst shooting, and the lens support for either are excellent. The only thing she can really do is go to a camera store and play around for like 20 minutes each at least on each one. try out the buttons, knobs, and menus and see which one you like better.

sorry if i offended you!

and thanks for the info, was asking for more on the tech side of thing though? performance and what not?

SUPREME1

Banned
The wife and I have this digital point and shoot camera:

Olympus Stylus 1000, 10mp

stylus1000.jpg

However, we've been wanting to get a real camera. Something that will allow us to take better quality pictures and not be limited by the specs of this camera. I've been curious about (digital and standard) SLR cameras, but haven't done any research to be honest.

I bascially want a camera that I can use stock, and still get niceer pics than with a point and shoot.

Budget would be limited and so I'm sure choices will be few.

What could I get for about $500~$700? Hopefulyl closer to the $500 mark.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
invisibleB said:
thats just the models she looked at, at the moment. so not down to toughs, just wanted to see what everyone else thinks?

not to worried about price £800 Pound so probably in the $1000 - $1200 mark. and dont really care about video stuff (if it has it, its a bones) but its got to be kinda new at least.

thanks for your info though.

Not sure if the rebate is applicable outside of America but there's one for the Canon 50D (which is a tier just above entry level). It would cost $1000 after the rebate. With that model you get a better Body (larger and better materials), Viewfinder (larger and brighter), framebuffer, framerate and microadjust (for adjusting lenses that aren't focusing correctly).

invisibleB

Neo Member
BlueTsunami said:
Not sure if the rebate is applicable outside of America but there's one for the Canon 50D (which is a tier just above entry level). It would cost $1000 after the rebate. With that model you get a better Body (larger and better materials), Viewfinder (larger and brighter), framebuffer, framerate and microadjust (for adjusting lenses that aren't focusing correctly).

thanks ill have a look at it ;)

VNZ

invisibleB: Canon & Nikon are safe bets in all price ranges. If the choice falls on Canon I'd go for the 550D, the advances in sensor, screen and movie quality should be worth the price difference compared to 500D. Also I've been impressed by Sony lately, so it might be worth checking out their offerings as well. Technically there's no real stand-out, ergonomics are basically a more important deciding factor.

Zyzyxxz

ImperialConquest said:

stylus1000.jpg

However, we've been wanting to get a real camera. Something that will allow us to take better quality pictures and not be limited by the specs of this camera. I've been curious about (digital and standard) SLR cameras, but haven't done any research to be honest.

I bascially want a camera that I can use stock, and still get niceer pics than with a point and shoot.

Either get the Canon S90, Canon G11 (pictured on the left)

Canon_S90_G11_100_comparison_side_by_side_02.jpg

Both take amazing shots and are easy to use. The G11 is a bit bulkier, is not pocketable, but offers some nice controls if you ever want to get more technical about your photos without jumping into DSLR's.

VNZ

Zyzyxxz said:
Either get the Canon S90, Canon G11 (pictured on the left)

Both take amazing shots and are easy to use. The G11 is a bit bulkier, is not pocketable, but offers some nice controls if you ever want to get more technical about your photos without jumping into DSLR's.
Still, it's important to note that these cameras have tiny sensors compared to DSLR and EVIL cameras (even though they are larger than most other compact cameras). This limits their low light capabilities and, maybe most importantly, their ability to achieve a shallow depth of field. So their creative possibilites are still closer to normal point and shoots.

I've seen Olympus E-P1 on sale several times lately, it should be worth looking in to. Very compact and stylish compared to DSLRs while retaining most of the image quality and possibilites.

invisibleB

Neo Member
VNZ said:
invisibleB: Canon & Nikon are safe bets in all price ranges. If the choice falls on Canon I'd go for the 550D, the advances in sensor, screen and movie quality should be worth the price difference compared to 500D. Also I've been impressed by Sony lately, so it might be worth checking out their offerings as well. Technically there's no real stand-out, ergonomics are basically a more important deciding factor.

so if we said the nikon d90 compared to the canon 550? what would you chose?
iv been reading a lot of reviews and they all say that the 550 is good but a bit lacking in the pitcher side of stuff???? and is good because of the hd move stuff! but they dont say to what there comparing the pitchers to! (lets say d90, what do you think?)

and thanks for your help guys.

VNZ

invisibleB said:
iv been reading a lot of reviews and they all say that the 550 is good but a bit lacking in the pitcher side of stuff???? and is good because of the hd move stuff! but they dont say to what there comparing the pitchers to! (lets say d90, what do you think?)

D90 is closer to the Canon 50D than their entry level series (300D-550D), which means better build, brighter/larger viewfinder, better auto focus and so on. But the D90 is a pretty old camera by now, and sensor/in-camera processing technology really moves quickly. So I'd say that technologically the 550D is quite far ahead of the D90.

Still, personal preference in ergonomics really is an important factor. You really need to try all the cameras in your hands for a while before you make the choice.

invisibleB

Neo Member
VNZ said:
D90 is closer to the Canon 50D than their entry level series (300D-550D), which means better build, brighter/larger viewfinder, better auto focus and so on. But the D90 is a pretty old camera by now, and sensor/in-camera processing technology really moves quickly. So I'd say that technologically the 550D is quite far ahead of the D90.

Still, personal preference in ergonomics really is an important factor. You really need to try all the cameras in your hands for a while before you make the choice.

i was thinking the same thing but then when i looked at the prices of the 2, they are in the same price range!! for a 2 year old camera to hold its price like that i thought i must be missing something! is the d90 that good that it held its price!...

so what would you pick out of the 2?

VNZ

invisibleB said:
i was thinking the same thing but then when i looked at the prices of the 2, they are in the same price range!! for a 2 year old camera to hold its price like that i thought i must be missing something! is the d90 that good that it held its price!...

The differences between "entry-level" and "prosumer" cameras are more about the build quality and materials, so you basically never see the prices prosumer models drop into entry-level territory.

I'd go for the 550D for the better sensor and the movie capabilites. I'm sure a lot of Nikon folks can make a case for the D90 though.

captive

ImperialConquest said:

stylus1000.jpg

Check out the Olympus EP1, EPL1 or the Panasonic GF1. They are all right around your budget and will produce far better results than a point and shoot.

invisibleB said:

Some reading that might be helpful:
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Canon-Rebel-T2i-EOS-550D-Compared-to-Nikon-D90.shtml

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=34960800&changemode=1

Zyzyxxz

invisibleB said:

I was having the same debate but I decided to swing with the D90.

Even though its old, it still takes very amazing shots but the amount of manual controls really makes it worth it for me too.

Sure the 550D can do movies well but I've never felt the need to take a movie yet so that isn't an important factor for me anymore.

invisibleB

Neo Member
Zyzyxxz said:
I was having the same debate but I decided to swing with the D90.

Even though its old, it still takes very amazing shots but the amount of manual controls really makes it worth it for me too.

Sure the 550D can do movies well but I've never felt the need to take a movie yet so that isn't an important factor for me anymore.

yes same thing here not worried about the movie stuff just want good pitchers, and it seems like the D90 has a better base!

looks like im gana go with the D90 unless anyone has something to add?

thanks again everyone for you help.

lol ended up skipping work to do the research after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom