• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlueTsunami said:
Amazon or BHPhoto should have it for cheap online. Its price used to be around $80 but as of late a lot of photography equipment has been higher priced so now its hovering around $100... which is still a bargain.

Yeah, I read a review from 2008 that mentioned $80 but all i can find are prices north of $100. Thanks for the suggestions.

Zombie James said:
Yeah, I read a review from 2008 that mentioned $80 but all i can find are prices north of $100. Thanks for the suggestions.

Amazon fluctuates pretty consistently. I bought one less than a month ago and did a lot of checking around. The day I bought mine I checked Amazon and it was $115, so I just went to a local photo shop and paid MSRP. A couple of days later I checked Amazon and it was back down to $99. I didn't really see anything for less than that, including used.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
JLateralus said:
Amazon fluctuates pretty consistently. I bought one less than a month ago and did a lot of checking around. The day I bought mine I checked Amazon and it was $115, so I just went to a local photo shop and paid MSRP. A couple of days later I checked Amazon and it was back down to $99. I didn't really see anything for less than that, including used.
http://camelcamelcamel.com/

This is a good price tracker to keep tabs on this kinda thing. The Firefox addon is fairly useful as well.

Fox1304

Just ordered the 550D with the kit 18-55IS.
It'll be enough for the moment and for my poor wallet :)

Can't wait to play with it !

SaitoH

I'm still looking at replacements for my stock 18-55 lens for my Rebel XSI. I currently have a 55-250 and the 50 mm 1.8 in addition to the stock lens.

I'm going to budget myself to around $500, but at the same time I'd like to be able to get something that's a good upgrade. If it's only a slight upgrade it's not really worth spending the dough to me.

Some lenses I'm considering:
Canon 17-85 f4-5.6
Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 Macro
Canon 28mm f1.8

I especially interested to hear if anyone has experience with the Sigma 18-50.

Thanks!

SaitoH said:
I'm still looking at replacements for my stock 18-55 lens for my Rebel XSI. I currently have a 55-250 and the 50 mm 1.8 in addition to the stock lens.

I'm going to budget myself to around $500, but at the same time I'd like to be able to get something that's a good upgrade. If it's only a slight upgrade it's not really worth spending the dough to me.

Some lenses I'm considering:
Canon 17-85 f4-5.6
Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 Macro
Canon 28mm f1.8

I especially interested to hear if anyone has experience with the Sigma 18-50.

Thanks!
if you are looking for a good all-purpose lens you might also consider a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Fox1304

Ok I've decided for the SDHC card i'll order : Transcend 16Go class 6.
According to the benchs, it's enough for 1080/30 movie recording.
Can anyone confirm ?

And ... now i'm searching for a nice bag.
Any advices from happy buyers ? :D

Fireye

If I were worried about data rates (like you are), I would go for this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HFER6O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

One of the quickest sdhc cards out there. I haven't used Transcend media in the past, but I've heard that the off-brands get the B stock from the major manufacturers at greatly discounted price. That usually means slower memory with more cells that are prone to error.

Edit: Also, I'm amazingly close to nabbing a 24mm F1.8 Macro from Sigma. Just waiting on the POTN forums to come through for me. I can't wait to have such a quick, wide lens, and also have the flexibility to do Macro.

I've been thinking about getting a serious HD camera for a while now, this one seems like a good one from what I've researched but was hoping if anyone could back it up with any experience or info.

Sony PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX HD Camcorder

Sony-PMW-EX3-XDCAM-EX-HD-Camcorder.jpg

http://www.google.com/products/cata...f6G4rIwAXPjrG6Cg&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

Fox1304

Fireye said:
If I were worried about data rates (like you are), I would go for this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HFER6O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

One of the quickest sdhc cards out there. I haven't used Transcend media in the past, but I've heard that the off-brands get the B stock from the major manufacturers at greatly discounted price. That usually means slower memory with more cells that are prone to error.

Went for the Transcend according to the benchs.
Lot of users saying that they're perfect for the T2i recording at full specs.
Would have bought the Sandisk if they weren't that pricey :s

And for the bag, I took a Lowepro 160 on amazon.co.uk, cheap ! (20£)

Can't wait to get all this on my hands ! Early christmas !

rass

bggrthnjsus said:
if you are looking for a good all-purpose lens you might also consider a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
listen to this man!
I had to sell mine after upgrading to full frame, but it was a fantastic lens on my 30d.

open question to canon users -

sell my 135L and buy a 100L macro?
I can't have both. Main uses are portraiture and landscape, usually shoot the 135 at f/2.8 anyway. don't shoot sports. Strong interest in macro.
I flickrmailed mrkgoo about this, because I know he has one and loves it, but looking for more opinions.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
iam.rass said:
listen to this man!
I had to sell mine after upgrading to full frame, but it was a fantastic lens on my 30d.

open question to canon users -

sell my 135L and buy a 100L macro?
I can't have both. Main uses are portraiture and landscape, usually shoot the 135 at f/2.8 anyway. don't shoot sports. Strong interest in macro.
I flickrmailed mrkgoo about this, because I know he has one and loves it, but looking for more opinions.

mrkgoo has first hand with the 100L (possibly the 135L too?). But my opinion on this is that I would get the 100L if you find you don't need that extra stop of light. The 135L has alway been considered a specialized lens and with the 100L out its becomes even more of one. Generally the bokeh of the 135L seems to have more of that extra something that some people swear by (and not due to the extra stop difference) but the 100L has all the modern technological fixings of a modern lens (mainly the IS).

Askia47

Hey guys, I just noticed this thread and wanted to ask a quick question about a camera I have. I am new to photography and cameras and about a year ago I got a Samsung TL100, which is a very slim and nice looking camera. However alot of the pictures I'm taking with it are coming out blurry, especially night pictures even if I'm standing still. Even image stabilizers seem not to work to well either. Any suggestions on how to take none blurry pictures? Thanks.

Heres a link to the camera I have:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/samsung-tl100/4505-6501_7-33567158.html

BlueTsunami

Askia47 said:
Hey guys, I just noticed this thread and wanted to ask a quick question about a camera I have. I am new to photography and cameras and about a year ago I got a Samsung TL100, which is a very slim and nice looking camera. However alot of the pictures I'm taking with it are coming out blurry, especially night pictures even if I'm standing still. Even image stabilizers seem not to work to well either. Any suggestions on how to take none blurry pictures? Thanks.

Heres a link to the camera I have:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/samsung-tl100/4505-6501_7-33567158.html

Hard to say, looking at the lens its equipped with and it looks to be a bit slow (relative to some of the better DSLR lenses but it is comparable to a DSLRs kit lens). It would be a good idea to somehow find out the shutter speeds the lens is choosing when you're getting these blurry images.

It looks like your camera can reach higher ISO speeds (1600 and 3200 but reduces the resolution to 3 Mega Pixels at 3200). Point and Shoots are generally not good at higher ISOs though and this may be the drop in quality you are seeing. As far as hand shake? (the whole picture is has motion blur) the IS should definitely be helping with that but only for still subjects (anything moving will still blur).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Askia47 said:
Any suggestions on how to take none blurry pictures? Thanks.
Set the camera on a stable surface and set the timer to take a shot. You can safely use a longer shutter speed without worrying about motion blur, unless your subject is moving.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hi,

I am looking for a tool (Win7, preferably freeware) to batch sharpen pictures. Thanks in advance for your recommendations, PhotoGAF!

I currently have a Canon XSi and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on a low-range priced flash for it? Something under $100 if possible. (I know camera equipment isn't cheap, but I also know that the built-in flash is horrible for events.)

Any suggestions?

BlueTsunami

NintendoGal said:
I currently have a Canon XSi and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on a low-range priced flash for it? Something under $100 if possible. (I know camera equipment isn't cheap, but I also know that the built-in flash is horrible for events.)

Any suggestions?

I don't have any experience with Flash but this link may be of use to you...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=30

It seems like the flash that fits your budget requirement is the Canon Speedlite 380EX. Its probably not as big and powerful as the 430II and 580II but its about 1/3rd cheaper than the 580II and half the amount of the 430II. Its definitely way more powerful than the on body flash and you can actually tilt the head to bounce light (to create an ambient light look). I believe you need to be in a medium sized room (at the max) to bounce flash effectively though.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
killertofu said:
Two more weeks. One more paycheck til I can snag my T2i. So excited :D
I'm almost in the same boat. My tax refund comes soon and I'm tempted to blow it on a T2i. It's finally a DSLR within my price range.

OnkelC said:
Hi,

I am looking for a tool (Win7, preferably freeware) to batch sharpen pictures. Thanks in advance for your recommendations, PhotoGAF!
I think you could do it with GIMP but idk

rass

I'm selling a large amount of stuff to fund a 70-200 2.8L IS mk ii purchase. In a fortnight it will hopefully be mine :)

Also, I wish I had tax refunds to look forward to still, but now I have to pay tax quarterly :/

Taken from the Q2 thread...

BlueTsunami said:
Yep, I actually own a Pentax lens (labeled Super Takumar), more specifically the M42 mount variant (which is a universal screw mount). You just have to find the right adapter (one place that sells adapters is www.fotodiox.com ). Its as easy as screwing the adapter on to the lens and mounting it to the camera. You lose certain auto functions though (obviously AF but you also have to physically stop down the lens aperture).

As far as M42 lenses go, there's a whole lot of them (and some weird ones). There's the Takumars that come in M42's but theres also notable Russian lenses (like the Helios-44 58mm f/2 which is known for its "swirly" bokeh and the TAIR-11A 135/f2.8 which has 20 aperture blades). You can also get some Carl Zeiss Jena lenses on the cheap (compared to the modern versions). And there's also a selection of 200mm f/4 lenses that are around $80-$150 if you want some moderate reach.

If I were to purchase an adapter like the one you mentioned... would this be something that is like a "you only need one" purchase, or something that you'd want to buy one for each M42 lens you own?

Forsete

I finally got the new lens today.. The dutch photo store was out of stock so it took them around 2 weeks to ship it. However, I never got a notification saying it had been shipped so I was very surprised when it arrived today.

What could it be?
4542890117_f34425334e_o.jpg

4542889953_0c3570b42d_o.jpg

Tada!
4542889729_aa158f1064_o.jpg

First test shot, and the only thing of interest was my cat. :p
4543537334_870374c899_b.jpg

2k http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4543537334_f851320186_o.jpg
Camera: Sony DSLR-A900
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 400 mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

First impressions are: its heavy, I shake like a aspen leaf at 400mm, its SHARP, and its very-very well built. Okay focusing speed @ 400, great accuracy though.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Forsete said:
I finally got the new lens today.. The dutch photo store was out of stock so it took them around 2 weeks to ship it. However, I never got a notification saying it had been shipped so I was very surprised when it arrived today.

What could it be?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4542890117_f34425334e_o.jpg[img]

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4542889953_0c3570b42d_o.jpg[img]

Tada!
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4542889729_aa158f1064_o.jpg[img]

First test shot, and the only thing of interest was my cat. :P
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4543537334_870374c899_b.jpg[IMG]
2k [url]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4543537334_f851320186_o.jpg[/url]
Camera: Sony DSLR-A900
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 400 mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

First impressions are: its heavy, I shake like a aspen leaf at 400mm, its SHARP, and its very-very well built. Okay focusing speed @ 400, great accuracy though.[/QUOTE]
How heavy is it?
The cat picture looks great for handheld at 1/160

mrklaw

MrArseFace
recommend me a long (300/400) zoom for a canon.

I've previously had the 70-300IS which I quite liked, the 100-400IS which I loved but was heavy/big and the 70-200f4IS which I only thought was ok (shock horror!). I think maybe it just didn't have enough reach for me and I had my 24-105 for shorter ranges.

Anything third party thats around £500ish but more like the 100-400 in quality? (I know its a long shot..)

olbareun

JLateralus said:
Taken from the Q2 thread...

If I were to purchase an adapter like the one you mentioned... would this be something that is like a "you only need one" purchase, or something that you'd want to buy one for each M42 lens you own?
For other snap-on mount adapters I'd say 1 mount adapter per body is sufficient but for screw mount like m42 I would say it's better to just get one per lens and leave it on since you literally screw in the lens to the adapter and the process is rather clumsy/slow. I am assuming that if you don't screw the lens all the way in your IQ would be impacted as well.

Also, by having canon mount on all your m42 lenses you can share the same back cap on all your lenses

mrnorush said:
For other snap-on mount adapters I'd say 1 mount adapter per body is sufficient but for screw mount like m42 I would say it's better to just get one per lens and leave it on since you literally screw in the lens to the adapter and the process is rather clumsy/slow. I am assuming that if you don't screw the lens all the way in your IQ would be impacted as well.

Also, by having canon mount on all your m42 lenses you can share the same back cap on all your lenses

Got it... I wasn't sure what the mounting process was like. That's kind of what I figured though. Thanks for the input!

olbareun

I sold my 10-22mm EF-S lens. Waiting on the release/review for the sigma 8-16mm and if it doesn't seem positive, I am going with the tokina 11-16mm.

rvd2kewl

NintendoGal said:

Any suggestions?

I have the Canon Speedlite 270EX for my T1i and I'm happy with it. It's $149 at Amazon, but I got mine back in December from them for $129 so the price probably changes often, like most camera stuff at Amazon.

VNZ

I missed an appointment today so I took the free time I got to shop for some east bloc M42 optics.

Pentacon 29mm f/2.8
Meyer-Optik 50mm f/1.8

Both lenses plus an M42 to EOS adapter cost me about 40 euro. I love the fact that you can buy this shit purely on impulse. :D

Tried it out real quickly. It's tricky! A proper focusing screen and bigger viewfinder would obviously make focusing easier (I use a Canon 500D). The light metering works, thankfully.

VNZ said:
I missed an appointment today so I took the free time I got to shop for some east bloc M42 optics.

Pentacon 29mm f/2.8
Meyer-Optik 50mm f/1.8

Both lenses plus an M42 to EOS adapter cost me about 40 euro. I love the fact that you can buy this shit purely on impulse. :D

Tried it out real quickly. It's tricky! A proper focusing screen and bigger viewfinder would obviously make focusing easier (I use a Canon 500D). The light metering works, thankfully.

Cool finds! I'd love to find something like that around here. I'm thinking about going around town tomorrow to see if I can find any M42 mount stuff, but I'm not expecting too much (I live in a medium sized mid-western city). Guess if I can't, I'll have to resort to eBay.

Zyzyxxz

Man I wish Nikon would announce a 35mm F1.4 already.

I saw on Nikon rumors that a 70-200 F4.0 is rumored, that would be great as an affordable alternative to the F2.8 variants if it were true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom