• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GAF Pen and Paper RPG Thread of Rolling Nothing But 20s!

JayDubya

Banned
That works.

Oh, and behold, 4th Ed Kobolds:

Kobold Wyrmpriest; Level 3 Artillery (Leader)
Small Natural Humanoid; XP 150
Initiative: +4 ; Senses: Perception+4, darkvision
HP 36; Bloodied 18
AC 17; Fortitude 13, Reflex 15, Will 15; see also trap sense
Speed 6
m Spear (standard; at-will) • Weapon
+7 vs. AC; 1d8 damage
a Energy Orb (standard; at will) + see text
Range 10; 16 vs. Reflex; 1d10 +3 damage of a chosen type (based on the dragon served).
b Incite Faith (minor; encounter)
Close burst 10; kobold allies in the burst gain 5 temporary hit points and shift 1 square.
c Dragon Breath (standard; encounter) + see text
Close blast 3; +6 vs. Fortitude; 1d10 +3 damage of a chosen type (based on the dragon served). Miss: Half Damage.
Shifty (minor, at will)
The kobold shifts 1 square as a minor action.
Trap Sense
The kobold gains a +2 bonus to all defenses against traps.
Alignment: Evil; Languages: Draconic
Skills: Stealth +11, Thievery +11
Str 9 (+0) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 17 (+4)
Con 12 (+2) Int 9 (+0) Cha 12 (+2)
Equipment: Hide armor, spear, bone mask.

Kobold Skirmisher; Level 1 Skirmisher
Small natural humanoid; XP 100
Initiative: +5; Senses: Perception +0; darkvision
HP 27; Bloodied 13
AC 15; Fortitude11, Reflex 14, Will13; see also trap sense
Speed 6
Spear (standard; at will) • Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 1d8 damage; see also mob attack
Combat Advantage
The kobold skirmisher deals an extra 1d6 damage on melee and ranged attacks against any target it has combat advantage against.
Mob Attack
The kobold skirmisher gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls per kobold ally adjacent to the target.
Shifty (minor; at will)
Trap Sense
Skills: Acrobatics +8, Stealth +10, Thievery +10
Str 8 (-1) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 10 (+0)
Con 11 (+0) Int 6 (-2) Cha 15 (+2)
Equipment: Hide armor, light shield, spear

Kobold Dragon Shield; Level 2 Soldier
Small Natural Humanoid; XP 125
Initiative +4 ;Senses: Perception+2, darkvision
HP 36; Bloodied 18
AC 18; Fortitude 14,Reflex 13,Will 13; see also trap sense
Speed 6
m Short Sword (standard; at-will) • Weapon
+7 vs. AC; 1d6+3 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the Kobold dragonshield’s next turn.
DragonShield Tactics (immediate reation, when an adjacent enemy shifts away or an enemy moves adjacent, at will)
The kobold dragonshield shifts 1 square.
Mob Attack
The kobold dragonshield gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls per kobold ally adjacent to the target.
Shifty (minor, at will)
Trap Sense
Skills: Acrobatics +8, stealth +10, Thievery +10
Str 8 (-1) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 10 (+0)
Con 11 (+0) Int 6 (-2) Cha 15 (+2)
Equipment: Scale armor, heavy shield, short sword

Kobold Slinger; Level 1 Artillery
Small Natural Humanoid; XP 100
Initiative: +3; Senses: Perception+1, darkvision
HP 24; Bloodied 12
AC 13; Fortitude 12,Reflex 14,Will 12; see also trap sense
Speed 6
m Dagger (standard; at-will) • Weapon
+5 vs. AC; 1d4+3 damage.
r Sling (standard; at-will) • Weapon
Range 10/20; +6 vs. AC; 1d6 +3 damage; see also special shot.
Special Shot
The kobold slinger can fire special ammunition from its sling. It typically carries 3 rounds special shot chosen from the types listed below. A special shot attack that hits deals normal damage and has an additional effect depending on its type.

* Stinkpot the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends)
* Firepot (Fire) The target taks ongoing 2 fire damage (save ends)
* Gluepot The target is immobilized (save ends)

Shifty (minor, at will)
Trap Sense
Skills: Acrobatics +8, stealth +10, Thievery +10
Str 9 (-1) Dex 17 (+3) Wis 12 (+1)
Con 11 (+1) Int 9 (-1) Cha 10 (+0)
Equipment: leather armor, dagger, sling with 20 bullets, 3 rounds of special shot (see above).

Kobold Minion; Level 1 Minion
Small Natural Humanoid; XP 25
Initiative: +3 Senses; Perception: +1, darkvision
HP: A minion dies when hit by an attack that deals damage.
AC 15; Fortitude 11,Reflex 13,Will 11; see also trap sense
Speed 6
m Spear (standard; at-will) • Weapon
+5 vs. AC; 2 damage.
r Spear (standard; at-will) • Weapon
Range 10/20; +5 vs. AC; 2 damage.
Shifty (minor, at will)
Trap Sense
Alignment: Evil; Languages: Draconic .
Skills: Stealth +5, Thievery +5
Str 8 (-1) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 12 (+1)
Con 12 (+1) Int 9 (-1) Cha 10 (+0)
Equipment: Hide armor, light shield, 3 spears

Minions die in one hit, but if you do the math, 8 minions, a shield, and a slinger are going to 400 xp total, and a reasonable challenge for 4 first level heroes. So you can build challenges fairly quickly. It can be a bit of a chore to figure it out for 3.5, but luckily, d20srd.org has an encounter calculator which I found to be a godsend.

Basically they have rules for swarms of mooks now - they always do a flat damage when they hit, and they always die in one hit, and they give a pittance of xp. So you can just use them en masse and have a small army of the bastards in addition to what's meant to be the real challenge. :D Every turn the party hits a mook is one more turn the real threat gets to act.

In the mean time they also have solo monsters which are designated to be a severe challenge on their own - we already knew beholders and dragons were meant to be the tabletop equivalent of big boss fights, but they have apparently have a much wider range of these solo monsters now.

LiveWire

Here's my character's pog (a little rough around the edges but I have no paint skills so...:lol):

aranelpog521.png

rSpooky

LiveWire said:
Here's my character's pog (a little rough around the edges but I have no paint skills so...:lol):

aranelpog521.png
I fixed it for you ..it is in my pogslist..you will see it saturday
JayDUb..I also fixed yours. It seemed yours was off center and I could not fit it in a square but only in between two squares :lol .. so I fixed it.

JayDubya

Banned
rSpooky said:
I fixed it for you ..it is in my pogslist..you will see it saturday
JayDUb..I also fixed yours. It seemed yours was off center and I could not fit it in a square but only in between two squares :lol .. so I fixed it.

Indeed. I actually remade it, but when I tested both of them, I got the same result. I do not understand what happened.

Here is the outer ring of most pogs, made perfectly transparent (presuming photobucket retains that quality), as well as my revised pog, which shares the off-center problem, but looks better:
pogring.png
fieren-3.png

What's fun is that the circle on the left looks bigger.

Also, it seems that the background on the small pogs does not need to be made transparent, as the starting pogs all have white corners.

However, the best way I am aware of to make new pogs is to:
1) select a square section of the original artwork, copy it
2) paste it, then resize down to a size such that that ring can fit around what is desired
3) copy the ring, paste it as a new layer, move it around until it circles what it needs to
4) flatten all layers, background erase everything outside the boundaries of the ring

JayDubya

Banned
It's Friday afternoon, so....

Bump.

What time are we doing something? If it's Saturday morning, then we'd need to know about it before bedtime tonight.

rSpooky

JayDubya said:
It's Friday afternoon, so....

Bump.

What time are we doing something? If it's Saturday morning, then we'd need to know about it before bedtime tonight.
YUp I am all set for tommorow morning .. question is when 10.00 /11.00 or 12.00 (eastern)

PS. check tonight before bed ot in the morning well before play to see what yoru special gifts are ( I am still contemplating)

LiveWire

I think we agreed on 10AM Eastern tomorrow morning. Haven't heard from Kitten or chapel in a while though...

If anyone has an issue with that time let us know asap today.

I'm flexible on start time but I need to be done no later than 2PM Eastern.

Spooky, would you mind reposting the IP address where you'll be hosting Gametable? Everyone should be logged into Skype 10 min prior to gametime so Spooky can invite us to a conference call.

JayDubya

Banned
Looks good, although there should be a Misc. Bonus of +2 to Listen, Search, and Spot.

Also, were we supposed to suggest or request the nature of the "gift item" with personal history or significance?

I have no idea what price range we're talking, so I just left it generic like "papa is a skilled blacksmith and he made me something nice."

rSpooky

JayDubya said:
Looks good, although there should be a Misc. Bonus of +2 to Listen, Search, and Spot.

Also, were we supposed to suggest or request the nature of the "gift item" with personal history or significance?

I have no idea what price range we're talking, so I just left it generic like "papa is a skilled blacksmith and he made me something nice."

This took way to long but here is Moncur in all its glory :p
Moncur.png

I will let you know what you get in a few.. reading your histories again

rSpooky

special items :

Jaydub ... bracers (metal) amazing design.. amazing craftsmanship. When both are worn they supply the wearer with +1 armor, even when otherwise naked. (stacks with other armor) Once put on they do not come off unless a command word is spoken. ( this is done by dad, to ensure that his daughter always has protection at any point. She thinks he played one of his stupid pranks on her, but she does not feel like going back to ask him to fic it yet. besides ..they look cool.
(+1 bracers)
gvambpl2.jpg

Live wire !!

For you :
You have received a package from your uncle. It arrived by courier just recently with a note : " You will need this soon" The package contained a old , but beautiful bow , you soon recognize as your uncles favorite (he would not go anywhere without it.) After some practice you find that you simply cannot miss a target with it.

Long bow of Seeking
bow%20elf1.JPG

The arrow shot from this bow veers toward its target, negating any miss chances that would otherwise apply, such as from concealment. (The wielder still has to aim the weapon at the right square. Arrows mistakenly shot into an empty space, for example, do not veer and hit invisible enemies, even if they are nearby.)

Kittenmaster:

(hope you like this one ..I always did)
When you got situated in the dorms ( when you first started college) you found a small bag in the closet. YOu soon discovered that this little bag gave you all the friends you ever needed :)

*Bag of Tricks
magicbagmain1.jpg

This small sack appears normal and empty. However, anyone reaching into the bag feels a small, fuzzy ball. If the ball is removed and tossed up to 20 feet away, it turns into an animal. The animal serves the character who drew it from the bag for 10 minutes (or until slain or ordered back into the bag), at which point it disappears. It can follow any of the commands described in the Handle Animal skill. Each of the three kinds of a bag of tricks produces a different set of animals. Use the following tables to determine what animals can be drawn out of each.
d% Animal l
01-30 Bat
31-60 Rat
61-75 Cat
76-90 Weasel
91-100 Badger

Nika ( MsSpooky)
When your mom passed she gave you a box with in it her old "work" outfit. Included were her lock picks and a Cloak of Elven Kind.
cloakofelvenkind.gif

This cloak of neutral gray cloth is indistinguishable from an ordinary cloak of the same color. However, when worn with the hood drawn up around the head, it gives the wearer a +5 competence bonus on Hide checks.

JayDubya

Banned
rSpooky said:
special items :

Jaydub... bracers (metal) amazing design.. amazing craftsmanship. When both are worn they supply the wearer with +1 armor, even when otherwise naked. (stacks with other armor) Once put on they do not come off unless a command word is spoken. ( this is done by dad, to ensure that his daughter always has protection at any point. She thinks he played one of his stupid pranks on her, but she does not feel like going back to ask him to fix it yet. besides... they look cool. (+1 bracers)
gvambpl2.jpg

Hrm, if it stacks with an "armor" bonus, I guess I'll consider it an "unnamed" bonus because those always stack, whereas if it were a natural, deflection, insight, luck, or morale bonus, etc., it would reduce the efficacy of the spells and effects that do work.

Normal bracers of armor wouldn't stack with real armor, but these do, so yeah, it'd have to be an unnamed bonus. I'll call them "Improved Bracers of Armor +1." No... "Thane's Bracers."

Sorry, had a detail-oriented geek blackout. Thank you, I'll add it to my sheet. :) "Slot" is obviously bracer... cost is irrelevant, so... hrm, weight? Bracers of armor and bracers of archery weigh 1 lb, so... likewise?

Also, quick ruling:

ss.jpg

Acceptable, or not? I have the gold for it. I would basically put a single throwing axe in a quickdraw sheathe built into the back of my shield. It's cool on multiple levels, and it's so convenient (in my current tabletop game, I put my shortsword in one, and otherwise use a shield and a trident - very Spartan).

rSpooky

yes acceptable

Please not I am pretty good with lore( at least I think so) but suck with encounters ( aka combat ) and all the nick nack rules.... I am sure we will have fun though hehehe

JayDubya

Banned
Well we haven't heard from chapel for a while, so hopefully we will. And Kitten got banned, so we need to figure out some way to get ahold of him...

Also, fair warning, I can't find my headset - but I'll go digging for it tonight and hopefully I will.

JayDubya

Banned
rSpooky said:
Kitten got banned>? for what?? well he could still read posts right>>????

IF So KIT Is you see this email me at dice@callofglory.com

if not I got you on skype!

Beats me, I just noticed it myself. As for reading your note, you can see GAF while banned if you delete your cookies, but otherwise it only comes up as what you were banned for and for how long.

No, I see the thread he got banned for.

Some jerk started a Skies of Arcadia 2 thread... w/o any information about Skies of Arcadia, simply asking if there would be one.

This is the sort of thing most GAFfers don't appreciate, and Kitten, following suit said "I demand a ban!" as in, this guy is a jerk, ban him! And I guess someone took him literally and banned him (ostensibly for "backseat modding").

JayDubya

Banned
Shoot I fell asleep (woke up with zombie nightmares - fun!), but Wal-Mart opens @ 8 AM, though. I'll probably go by there and look for a cheap headset...

The X-Box Live headset doesn't happen to have PC / USB ports does it?

rSpooky

JayDubya said:
Shoot I fell asleep (woke up with zombie nightmares - fun!), but Wal-Mart opens @ 8 AM, though. I'll probably go by there and look for a cheap headset...

The X-Box Live headset doesn't happen to have PC / USB ports does it?
no...but the ps2/ps3 usb ones work with the pc just fine.

JayDubya

Banned
rSpooky said:
no...but the ps2/ps3 usb ones work with the pc just fine.

Well then, I guess I'll be making a Wal-Mart run. I'm a Wii60 man and I never had a PS2 headset.

Actually it looks like my wife will be making one, and she'll be back ASAP with breakfast and a headset. ASAP may not be under 38 minutes, but it'll have to do.

Just as well that I can't find our old WoW headsets - one was physically broken and the other one had a shitty microphone.

JayDubya

Banned
Okay, just letting you know, she's not back yet, I'm going to try and get on anyway.

Edit: On Skype now; jaydubyadubya

LiveWire

Same, I'm on Skype. Successfully did the Skype Test Call and heard my voice.

PMed my email address to you guys also.

LiveWire

Great session today everyone! :D Thanks for participating and thanks Spooky for putting in the effort as DM to get us started.

As we discussed, let's try and shoot for next week a little later (around 1PM Eastern), and if anyone has anything come up just post it.

I'm still parsing the text from the session, but when I finish it I will email y'all a copy.

rSpooky

LiveWire said:
Great session today everyone! :D Thanks for participating and thanks Spooky for putting in the effort as DM to get us started.

As we discussed, let's try and shoot for next week a little later (around 1PM Eastern), and if anyone has anything come up just post it.

I'm still parsing the text from the session, but when I finish it I will email y'all a copy.
yes.. it was a blast ..though a bit chaotic.. but that comes with the territory of the game, learning the tools and RL troubles etc.

I will look into another form of comms for next time and post here what I find. And test it before the actual game LOL

have a great weekend

JayDubya

Banned
Hey, no, that worked pretty well actually, just now we know to either figure out what's wrong with Skype or to replace it.

Always good to play with some new people, and I had fun, so hey.

Also, my wife heard us playing and expressed interest. I could have sworn I asked her if she was interested, but maybe she didn't hear me. In any event, she asked, and I'm paraphrasing of course, if there was room for one more, and if not, no biggie.

She has a GAF account but she never ever uses it and doesn't even know the password anymore.

JayDubya

Banned
rSpooky said:
YEs... I am sure my wife loves to have another female player there :)

awesome!

Okay, cool beans. When she gets back from her movie, I'll have her make her character.

Also, I talked to KittenMaster - it was a one month ban for a hotlinked image (you know, the type where the host strongly discourages hotlinking by making it something visually distressing and not likely to be SFW and all that).

And he knows the time, if not the other information, for next week's game.

rSpooky

I had found that one last week..but had way more trouble figuring it out.. thats why I stuck with game table. Ill have a look at it again though.

EDIT: I hate this thing ....lol

JayDubya

Banned
Yeah, from messing around with it, it seems kind of analogous to a more advanced graphing calculator than I'm used to - a lot of extra bells and whistles and I'm not even sure how to do the basic things my old one could do.

But if I know if I could, that'd be awesome. :D

chapel

Banned
Sorry guys, wish I could have been around. I couldn't get internet until just today. Had to catch up on the thread.

Im up for any time as long as I know ahead of time, and any software should be fine if you want to change. We could use ventrillo for voice instead of skype if there was a lot of issues.

I will try and get my bg posted tonight or tomorrow. Hard catching up after a week, well for me where most of my life was online haha.

rSpooky

HEy Chap.
Welcome back, no problem on missing things. We had a few tech issues and RL interuptions but other then that it went pretty well I think.

It ended up beign a full RP session, without any combat.. but it setup the story. Livewire was aprsing the chatlog and I guess put it all in an overview of the story type log.

I will do some tests this week, but most likely we will use ventrillo or teamspeak.

JayDubya

Banned
Good to see we'll have you back for next weekend, I think we're playing at 1 PM Eastern, which is noon Central, 10 AM Pacific.

Oh, and Steph says she'll most likely play a Human Paladin or a Bard, character sheet / background forthcoming.

She also said she was willing to play a Cleric if we didn't have one, but Chap's back, so less need.

rSpooky

Ok guys, I looked into voip stuff. lets go with ventrilo for now. I will setup a host server for it. and post the infor come saturday.

http://www.ventrilo.com/setup.php

Prime: we currently have about 6 people in the group and me as DM. That is alot allready.. but since you are a NOOOOB :D You ar emost welcome to sit in on our session to get an impression on how it all works. THis forum has alot of reference you can use to start reading the rules etc and info on the adventure setting ( the world) we are playing in.

We will be playing 1.pm (gmt-5) this saturday. This time is chosen to minimize interference on (mostly my part) kids needing lunch /meds/etc.

Chap , I hope your there.. did you post your char info/background yet?? JD!! where is the info on your wife's Char?/

I have been very busy this week, but will spend friday evening to review the info from last week and adjust the adventure ( due to some left turns you guys took) where needed.

rSpooky

I will have a looksee today..might not get back to you untill day fo play though.. If we can play at all.. I have a nasty Vundo virus on my pc now gggrrrrrrr

If need be I will use one of my worklaptops to host the session though...
this sucks :(

ps. I like the pali descriptive title hehe

JayDubya

Banned
rSpooky said:
I will have a looksee today..might not get back to you untill day fo play though.. If we can play at all.. I have a nasty Vundo virus on my pc now gggrrrrrrr

If need be I will use one of my worklaptops to host the session though...
this sucks :(

ps. I like the pali descriptive title hehe

Yikes.

Well, the title was just because I couldn't find a good PHB deity she liked. She wants like, the D&D equivalent of Athena. In Eberron terms, that's easy - Dol Arrah. Greyhawk, or the stripped down Greyhawk of the core 3.5 books? Not so much. And I don't know the specifically Faerun deities at all.

Of course, Deities and Demigods has all the Norse, Greek, and Egyptian gods in there. :lol

rSpooky

Ok so .. ventrilo installed and tested.

for the user client I found the following work great .

Once you setup a user id ( a name only is fine)
you can goto setup ( right side) and set voice props.
Under the first tab I have :

Enable outgoing voice communication
Output device : use direct sound (and USB audio device selected)
INput device: direct sound selected with usb audio device from pulldown menu

I did set a hardware input micer because my mic sucks, to get some extra boost. THis is different depending on hardware..play with it if needed.

I have disabled push to talk so it is easier to communicate, but if you do not want to that is ok. If you DO disable it however, set your sensitivity to 20 or 30

that should really do it. IF you have problems check the ventrilo FAQ or we can post it here. Nice detail is that vent also has chat option in case there are issues.

Tomorrows I will post the IP address etc. ( or PM them ..which might be safer in case of hackers ) and yes it does seem i am currently virus free

Top Bottom