• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Ryder said:
Holy crap, I quit facebook forever. Some douchebag just spoiled a huuuuuge plot point. WHAT WAS I THINKING :(

I've been really lucky not to have any surprises spoiled. The worst I've seen were a couple gameplay GIFs, but that's it. Starting tomorrow afternoon I'm going on a GAF blackout until probably Thursday or so.

Loudninja

disappeared said:
I've been really lucky not to have any surprises spoiled. The worst I've seen were a couple gameplay GIFs, but that's it. Starting tomorrow afternoon I'm going on a GAF blackout until probably Thursday or so.

Me too, and I am not even trying :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I had the ending spoiled but it ended up getting debunked as fake, so a lot of what you'll hear is probably made up on the spot. Even if it does end up being real it'll still be a surprise/powerful scene, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Momar

aka Ryder
Papercuts said:
Yeah, I had the ending spoiled but it ended up getting debunked as fake, so a lot of what you'll hear is probably made up on the spot. Even if it does end up being real it'll still be a surprise/powerful scene, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Phew, that's reassuring. Thanks for making my night quite a bit better :p

Now about this paper I gotta write, any ideas for that? :lol

Cdammen

16h to go! But no store in my hometown is having a midnight sale so I actually have to try to sleep tonight. It's gonna be tough :(

sigh...fucking xbox

history:
1. launch unit lasted until july 07
-sent in for repair which was lost and arrived late
2. bought a core because i didnt have my unit back by halo 3 launch
3.launch unit gets replaced, new unit freezes in 5 minutes
4.replacement launch unit is sent back to me after repair...same issue still present
5.sent off replacement unit yet again...still away for repair
6. core unit rrod

so my options are either go buy another core and sale/return it after i get one of my units back or switch my pre order to ps3...not happy at all right now

GodfatherX said:
sigh...fucking xbox

history:
4.replacement launch unit is sent back to me after repair...same issue still present
6. core unit rrod

so my options are either go buy another core and sale/return it after i get one of my units back or switch my pre order to ps3...not happy at all right now

Oh snap....

I have not tunred on my 360 in a few days... I am getting scared :(

GodfatherX said:
sigh...fucking xbox

history:
6. core unit rrod

short term, go ps3 version. You can always trade it in for a 360 copy when DLC hits and all indication are the ps3 version runs great.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Aaah, just got back home, with the game :D

I was lucky, they only had about 20 still left. They sold most of the stock on Saturday.

First GTA on console, hope im not gonna be disapointed.

zam

GodfatherX said:
sigh...fucking xbox

history:
6. core unit rrod

If that happened to me I'd just go out and buy a new 360.

However I have been thinking of getting an Elite so that would push me over the edge and get me to buy one..

Surfheart said:
5 hours and 15 minutes and I'll have this gem in my hot little hands. The finish line is in sight at last.
I have one more lesson today and then a quick meeting. Tomorrow I'm out in the woods watching the kids run around and keeping track of them, get off around 14. Head to EB, pick up my copy (no midnight launch here) and then go home and game. I'm off Wednesday, Thursday and Friday so the Tuesday launch is perfect timing for me :D

Surfheart

zam said:
I have one more lesson today and then a quick meeting. Tomorrow I'm out in the woods watching the kids run around and keeping track of them, get off around 14. Head to EB, pick up my copy (no midnight launch here) and then go home and game. I'm off Wednesday, Thursday and Friday so the Tuesday launch is perfect timing for me :D

Nice to have some time off to enjoy the game. I have to work tomorrow, but I just know I will want to play for a awhile when I get home from the midnight launch. :D

I have a friend who is a tester on this...might be the lead tester not sure, but he says that with the guide it takes around 85 hours to do everything... He can complete it in 16 hours..

Still, he must have played many times..

My hype is pretty high

zam

Surfheart said:
Nice to have some time off to enjoy the game. I have to work tomorrow, but I just know I will want to play for a awhile when I get home from the midnight launch. :D
Yeah, I would've had Thursday and Friday off anyway since it's a holiday here (1st of May plus Ascension Day), Wednesday is just happy coincidence, some computer/internet training for all the other teachers, which is stupid easy if you know anything about computers, plus I don't have to do it since I'm just here for one term.

It's almost as if the person making the schedule made it this way since they knew GTA 4 was coming out and they wanted time off to play it :lol

blanky

did i just get a spoiler or is it fake? :(

you have to kill roman in the end cos roman has to kill you or something

i'm not going near justin.tv anymore uch :(

Barrett2

Cdammen said:
16h to go! But no store in my hometown is having a midnight sale so I actually have to try to sleep tonight. It's gonna be tough :(

Same here. I won't be getting my hands on the game until tomorrow afternoon :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Got home from work. Couple more hours to go. I have work tomorrow but won't start till 3pm so I can play till around 4am or so :lol

Then two days off afterwards woohoo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
1 day!

I heard my local game is getting 800 copies (400 for each system), but they'll probably all be gone from preorders!

But I'm fairly confident I'll pick a copy up from a more general store..I'll be out early tomorrow morning to get it :)

MMaRsu

I'm hearing stores here in the Netherlands are going to sell it today...Going into town with a friend at 1PM.

Too bad I have work, I might call and ask if I maybe don't have to come in :p. I work in a callcenter ( tech service ) and when there aren't many people calling they tend to let people go home early anyway :)

blanky

MMaRsu said:
I'm hearing stores here in the Netherlands are going to sell it today...Going into town with a friend at 1PM.

Too bad I have work, I might call and ask if I maybe don't have to come in :p. I work in a callcenter ( tech service ) and when there aren't many people calling they tend to let people go home early anyway :)

yeah all bart smits are going to sell them in the afternoon or something.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Holy shit, im not that BIG fan of GTA, and this is my first GTA on console... but man...

I just played 2hours, and this game is fucking living up to the hype wow :D :D

( I posted on april pickup thread, so dont call me a pirate etc :D )

Wollan

stimpledorf said:
Nooo, don't show weakness with a yawn, surely you have a night ahead playing GTA after midnight ! :D
Been awake since 5am this morning. Worked out and generally multi-tasking all day.
I will make midnight launch and will probably play for a couple of hours but I have to cut it there. Got all day tomorrow though.

Goldrusher

MMaRsu said:
Sure hope so!

5czlap.jpg

€ 69,95 in stores though. :(

Saya

Crap! I pre-ordered GTAIV from a online shop, but now I heard that the TNT mailmen are going to strike tomorrow and no mail will be delivered in my area (Rotterdam). Wednesday is ofcourse a national holiday in the Netherlands so no mail will be delivered then as well. And I've already paid for the game...should I cancel the preorder and take my chances in a gamestore?

Tr4nce

Goldrusher said:
5czlap.jpg

€ 69,95 in stores though. :(

WHAT?

They are putting GTAIV on sale today? Those sons of b*tches! I pre-ordered GTAIV at my favorite local gameshop called Dimension Plus for 60 Euro's. Oh man, this is going to be the LONGEST MONDAY EVER.

Roat

Banned
Saya said:
Crap! I pre-ordered GTAIV from a online shop, but now I heard that the TNT mailmen are going to strike tomorrow and no mail will be delivered in my area (Rotterdam). Wednesday is ofcourse a national holiday in the Netherlands so no mail will be delivered then as well. And I've already paid for the game...should I cancel the preorder and take my chances in a gamestore?

What do you mean, take your chances? Do you really think you won't be able to buy it tomorrow if you didn't preorder?

dejay

Banned
Just had a busy 11 hour work day, ate dinner and showered, and I'm having a coffee.

Oh yeah, 3 hours and 37 minutes to go. In the shower I couldn't get over the surreal feeling of finally getting to play it, since I've been hanging for this game for years.

Saya

Roat said:
What do you mean, take your chances? Do you really think you won't be able to buy it tomorrow if you didn't preorder?

Well, yeah. I'm pretty sure it'll sell out really fast everywhere in my area tomorrow (if it hasn't already), plus I have to work until 5 tomorrow so I'll be checking the stores very late in the afternoon. I think it'll be sold out by then.

Tr4nce

Kuran said:
I just called a local Bart Smit, and apparantly this isn't true. wtf misleading website?

This is true. I just called my local gameshop, and the clerk told me that this is total bullshit. If any store decides to start selling it today, they risk a fine of 25.000 Euro's and they also will NOT receive a second shipment. So, Bart Bullshit? Yes.

Roat

Banned
Saya said:
Well, yeah. I'm pretty sure it'll sell out really fast everywhere in my area tomorrow (if it hasn't already), plus I have to work until 5 tomorrow so I'll be checking the stores very late in the afternoon. I think it'll be sold out by then.

Games like this with huge releases don't 'sell out'. The market is flooded with copies like Halo 3 or COD4. The only place that has a chance of happening is in a game-only store which you're better off not buying from anyway.

Top Bottom