• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Salazar

bridegur said:
How difficult will it be to walk into a Best Buy and just pick up the PS3 version on the 29th? Should I worry about pre-ordering? I didn't with Smash Bros. and Mario Galaxy and was fine.

In Lake Wobegon, easy. Elsewhere, more difficult, I assume.

Costanza

Banned
I'll be going to the Walmart at midnight where less than 5 people showed up for both Rock Band and Brawl... I should be okay.

disappeared said:
Oh, and Spinnington, you should put Mr. Goodman in a walking avatar.
how about this instead

goodpan.gif

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
But consider that there is virtually NO competition in the game release area a month before and after GTAIV. This is the game people bought their next-gen systems for.

I dunno, I think you guys underestimate the potential here.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Himuro said:
Laughing vampires, dance! Feel the voodoo trance! :eek:

That whole album is incredible. Anyone who likes KJAH in GTA3 needs to buy Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires. One of my favorite albums ever.

Costanza said:
I'll be going to the Walmart at midnight where less than 5 people showed up for both Rock Band and Brawl... I should be okay.

Same. I went to get Halo 3 the next morning at Walmart and didn't have a problem. I'm expecting to do the same with GTA.

Brashnir

Himuro said:
I think I'm the only person in the world who never had a problem with that RC helicoptor mission. All you have to do is barely fly in the guys, and it's instant death because of the blade. Then drop the dynamite on top of the barrel. Simple.

I first played VC on the PC with KB+M controls, and I was never able to complete that mission, even after about a hundred attempts. My Roommate at the time was never able to beat it either.

I later played one of the console versions (I think the Xbox one) and beat it on the first try. It was nothing compared to the RC plane mission in SA.

Teknoman

For once im glad not that many people show up at my local GS's midnight launches. Im going to be able to walk right in there and get my copy with no trouble at all.

EDIT: I just noticed the GTAIV gamestop commercial uses that Miles Davis song, Move.

Man im so damn torn on which version to get. i dont want to pay for xbl anymore, but i need custom soundtracks after i get sick of the regular songs.......

gaf help :(

i have the 360 version pre-ordered, so i might just stick with that

clav

bdizzle said:
Man im so damn torn on which version to get. i dont want to pay for xbl anymore, but i need custom soundtracks after i get sick of the regular songs.......

DLC.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm not sure which version to get... If I get it for 360 then I will have access to downloadable content and the possiblity of being able to play with my friends in the future (if they ever get their 360s online), but I just bought a PS3 (with Uncharted) and a DS3 and want another game to play on it.

Seems trivial, but I'm leaning toward PS3. Someone persuade me either way.

Psychotext said:
You really don't want to ask GAF to help on something like that. :lol

LOL you're probably right. even tho gaf is by far the best gaming forum on the planet (mostly thanks to the mods) it's also fanboy heaven. i just really don't know what im gonna do. might just flip a coin. for the first time ever i wish i wasnt a pswii60 owner :(

HaloFans said:

considering the story alone is 40 hours, and doing everything is 100 hours......i can't see myself worrying about dlc for a long long time. besides by the time. and by the time it comes out, i think there'll be newer content raping my soul

but if the story blows my mind, ill be pissed if i get the ps3 version and miss out on the dlc

Rez>You said:
Hmm not sure which version to get... If I get it for 360 then I will have access to downloadable content and the possiblity of being able to play with my friends in the future (if they ever get their 360s online), but I just bought a PS3 (with Uncharted) and a DS3 and want another game to play on it.

wish i could help, going through the same thing my damn self right now

Orlics

bdizzle said:

For the next two weeks, get some minimum wage job. You should make enough money to pay for a year or two of XBL.

Edit: and if you have a job already, this post becomes a sweet Kenny K throwback

Orlics

Rez>You said:

You have no obligation to "balance" the number of games on your systems. Just get the 360 version (for the reasons you listed) and play PS3 exclusives on your PS3.

Teknoman

Im pretty sure there will be SOMETHING downloadble for the PS3 version eventually. I mean yeah the 360 version will have an exclusive DLC story mission, but I really doubt they'll let the chance to rake in more money end there.

Teknoman said:
Im pretty sure there will be SOMETHING downloadble for the PS3 version eventually. I mean yeah the 360 version will have an exclusive DLC story mission, but I really doubt they'll let the chance to rake in more money end there.
you'll regret this claim later

i'm quoting it to make sure

Chris R

Mr. Spinnington said:
you'll regret this claim later

i'm quoting it to make sure
:lol What makes you think this DLC wont be out the first possible chance the contract gives? MORE MONEY FOR FREE? HELL YES

FightyF

Banned
rhfb said:
:lol What makes you think this DLC wont be out the first possible chance the contract gives? MORE MONEY FOR FREE? HELL YES

What makes you think $50 million didn't buy exclusive (for life) content?

I don't know the details of any contract, but simple logic tells you that if you get the 360 version, you're guaranteed everything. No ifs/ands/buts...you'll get everything.

Eric WK

rhfb said:

According to Microsoft the details of the contract are that Xbox 360 will be the only console with Downloadable Content. Period.

Orlics

rhfb said:

Say DLC is released for the PS3.

What's stopping Rockstar from releasing it on 360 as well?

360 will get the exclusive DLC AND whatever DLC hits the PS3.

Ten-Song

Eric WK said:
According to Microsoft the details of the contract are that Xbox 360 will be the only console with Downloadable Content. Period.

I thought Microsoft's deal was they were going to get two exlusive episodes of some kind, not that it's the ONLY platform that can get any DLC?

Man Vice City is still my favorite GTA. The atmosphere, all of the guns, new cars and vehicles, and the time period clicked so perfectly. And the music, holy crap, the music. VRock, Emotion, and a few of the other pop stations were like a trip down memory lane for me.

I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and post a story of mine, from VC.

Me and my buddy have a tradition of seeing who can get the farthest with the Hunter helicopter. Pretty much the rule was once we got it we could only stay relatively close to the ground, close enough that you could get fired at from the ground. Anyways, there was one time where the Hunter started to flame up, so I jumped out of the helicopter over the canal on the first island and I landed in a police boat. And what happened to the hunter? IT FELL ON TOP OF ME AND EXPLODED! I flew off the police boat onto one of those big lounge boats and managed to still have about 50% health left.

So I jumped I made a daring maneuver and drove the boat up to the side where I can jump off and managed to procure a bike. Meanwhile I have about 5 stars or so. I managed to make it to the docks, where the Ferrari usually is sitting. A helicopter has been chasing me shooting up my bike. I get set up for a jump over one of the dock jumps, and there is another police boat off of the dock. So I line myself, drive towards the jump, mid-air my bike catches fire, I land on the police boat and explode in a blaze of glory. Easily one of my favorite times playing GTA. This is one of MANY amazing stories.

Phew that was long, sorry about that. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Sphinx said:
Glad everyone read the first rule of the OP.
Wasn't trying to start console wars, was just looking for advice.

chico

Rez>You said:

the only reason i pre-ordered it for the 360 and not for my ps3:
- all my gaming buddys are on xbox live

so try to convince your friends to get online and play the awesome mp modes or get the ps3 version...

well, i also think the 360 controller is way better then the DS3 , but thats just my humble opinion...

hitoshi

Lionheart1827 said:
Man Vice City is still my favorite GTA. The atmosphere, all of the guns, new cars and vehicles, and the time period clicked so perfectly. And the music, holy crap, the music. VRock, Emotion, and a few of the other pop stations were like a trip down memory lane for me.

I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and post a story of mine, from VC.

Me and my buddy have a tradition of seeing who can get the farthest with the Hunter helicopter. Pretty much the rule was once we got it we could only stay relatively close to the ground, close enough that you could get fired at from the ground. Anyways, there was one time where the Hunter started to flame up, so I jumped out of the helicopter over the canal on the first island and I landed in a police boat. And what happened to the hunter? IT FELL ON TOP OF ME AND EXPLODED! I flew off the police boat onto one of those big lounge boats and managed to still have about 50% health left.

So I jumped I made a daring maneuver and drove the boat up to the side where I can jump off and managed to procure a bike. Meanwhile I have about 5 stars or so. I managed to make it to the docks, where the Ferrari usually is sitting. A helicopter has been chasing me shooting up my bike. I get set up for a jump over one of the dock jumps, and there is another police boat off of the dock. So I line myself, drive towards the jump, mid-air my bike catches fire, I land on the police boat and explode in a blaze of glory. Easily one of my favorite times playing GTA. This is one of MANY amazing stories.

Phew that was long, sorry about that. :D

Best argument for replay mode CONFIRMED.

Rez>You said:
Wasn't trying to start console wars, was just looking for advice.
while it's funny that you honestly were, i'm pretty sure the "which version" thread isn't locked. you can probably get a lot more detailed feedback from that ongoing battle

East Lake

Unless your unaware of features, details and things like that I don't really see the point in asking other people to convince you to buy GTA for a certain console, or any other gaming decision for that matter. Not trying to accuse anybody in this thread but the majority of the time you'll just get people telling you what they would do and not what's best for you. Always better to make the decision for yourself, if that's not possible just flip a coin or something, you'll have a great experience regardless of what console you get it for.

This DLC and system choice issue has been gone through so many times already.

hitoshi

Ten-Song said:
This also makes a good argument for a replay mode:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oTYs40nj6rw

That was hilarious, thanks for sharing. I hope that someday console users will also be able to make such videos (not accidentally) just like in HALO 3.

Can't wait, I think I will do everything to keep myself buy 'till release day. Any suggestions? I've just received my Apollo Justice but I'm not in the mood, maybe a Bioshock walkthrough would satisfy my need.

Probably old news but a read in a magazine this morning *WORLD EXCLUSIVE*

Guest appearance from
Ricky Gervais
he's written new material for it, so the article says?

MattyH

Think im gonna Join in the replaying of GTAIII beacuse ive not played it for a long long time
vice city is still my fave thou

adelante

not sure if this have been brought up before but in this week's VideoGamesWeekly podcast, they mentioned something bout watching cartoons and comedy routines in the game. And well, that even though they've done 60plus missions, they've only covered 41percent of the game....

This game can't come any fuckin sooner...

Wollan

travisbickle said:
Probably old news but a read in a magazine this morning *WORLD EXCLUSIVE*
Guest appearance from
Ricky Gervais
he's written new material for it, so the article says?

*mind blown if true*

Edit: Apparently it's from the magazine Shortlist.

"Speaking to free magazine Shortlist, Gervais revealed that he performs three minute skits of never-before-heard material in Liberty City's comedy club, as well as gags from his recent Fame tour."

Top Bottom