• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
levious said:
there would be no pleasing Powerslave. He was the guy complaining that a black guy from the inner city shouldn't have the educational background necessary to learn how to fly a plane.

So he has a hard-on for the entire GTA series? That explains alot. I was thinking it was really weird that a guy who has never played the game is writing essays about why it sucks.

MMaRsu

Electro Choc is the best radio station in the game and I'm a hiphop lover, but the hiphop station really sucks. Except classic, that one is great.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
vilmer_ said:
Sweet, ty :D So just park it right in front of the apartment?
Yeah, there is enough room for 2 cars. You cannot miss it, it is painted with yellow paint on the tarmac

Himuro said:
1. Girlfriends/Friendships are actually fun now. They aren't annoying like they were in SA. 2. Why do you need a speedometer? Why is this annoying? How can that POSSIBLY ruin the game?
3. Just like in past titles, press select to make the view more far back. Problem solved. Even then, tilting the camera isn't hard, because aside from motorcycles, you can tilt it while you drive with the left analog stick.
4. Little steps with each installment? This game is an entire refinement of the GTA formula. It's similar yet different.

1. How about explaining why.
2. Who says it ruins the game? It's just fucking stupid that such a little thing hasn't been added after 5 3D GTA games. I just want one, how can this be so hard to understand? I want a sense of speed. You can't possibly not see the fun in having a speed meter.
3. I don't want to adjust the camera with any stick. I just said that GTA 3 did it right, and they messed it up after.
4. I'm not just talking about perfecting or evolving existing features. I want new things too.
I haven't played the game yet, but I can just tell that there isn't much interactivity with the environment.

take this quote for example:

Aske said:
I am surprised that there's so little to find throughout the city. There isn't a huge incentive to explore. I've stumbled upon some random firearms, but I'm sure I remember weapons being scattered around more liberally in previous games. Even a few more melee weapons in back alleys would be nice, or perhaps a couple of hundred more pigeons just so I see them more often.

Looks like yet another big empty city, like San Andreas. They should be filling the place up with things to explore and find. I also hoped that the city would be a sort of maze where you had to walk/climb/crawl through several things in order to find and discover stuff.

levious said:
there would be no pleasing Powerslave. He was the guy complaining that a black guy from the inner city shouldn't have the educational background necessary to learn how to fly a plane.

You're an idiot for bringing this up again. I already explained that I was talking about how CJ goes from doing ghetto stuff to jumping from airplane to airplanes, saves hippies, infiltrates into high-security government facilities, steals jet-packs etc. The whole storyline progression was just lame. Don't be so fucking stupid.

dskillzhtown said:
So he has a hard-on for the entire GTA series? That explains alot. I was thinking it was really weird that a guy who has never played the game is writing essays about why it sucks.

Sucks? I'm just pointing out my disappointments I have came across until now. I'm still gonna get the game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
MMaRsu said:
Electro Choc is the best radio station in the game and I'm a hiphop lover, but the hiphop station really sucks. Except classic, that one is great.
Suprisingly I find myself listening to the Fusion station most often. Other than that all I listen to is the Classics station (mainly to try to listen to Gang Starr) and the modern rock station that I forgot the name of.

Powerslave said:
How about the part where they kept the awful friends/girlfriends mini-game? I personally thought that was something Rockstar tried and would dump afterwards because it's just very mediocre. Maybe they have improved it. But I don't think so. Building up relationships to use new features isn't a new thing, SA had that too.

And there are some other things that bother me. Like the fact that they still haven't implemented a god damned speed-meter. How hard can this be, Rockstar? Do we have to wait for GTA 8 for it to finally appear in the game?
I have also noticed that the camera is still very, very low behind the cars you drive. This has been the case since Vice City and San Andreas made it even worse. You have to tilt the camera up every few seconds with the right stick to see what the fuck is in front of you. I can't believe they think it is a good decision to put the cam low behind your vehicle. At least program the game so that you can 'lock' the camera with the R3 button or something. This is inexcusable. GTA3 didn't have this problem. Plenty of camera settings and you could see well ahead of you with most of them. They took a step back after that game regarding this.

It's just the whole "this game will be revolutionary" hype Rockstar always makes people believe, then churns out a little updated GTA game, again. Never gonna fall for GTA hype again. I think you have to skip a few of the future GTA's and then play GTA 7 or something to notice a big difference in overall things. It's annoying how Rockstar keeps taking little steps with each installment.

You must have better reasons than these. You're just nitpicking. They've added so much over San Andreas and you're mad because there is no speedometer? Hell, Burnout Paradise didn't have one. To say that it is a little update is flat-out ridiculous.

EDIT: Wait, you don't have the game? Tell me you've at least PLAYED it.

dskillzhtown

Powerslave said:
Sucks? I'm just pointing out my disappointments I have came across until now. I'm still gonna get the game.

When the only thing you type are negative nit-picks about a game, that is pretty much the impression you give. Also, YOU haven't come across any disappointments because you haven't played the game.

God's Beard said:
Goddamn, where the hell is vlad's bar? I've been searching for the damn thing forever. Where the hell isn't there a waypoint?

Isn't that like right across where you live? :lol

Anyways. going on my second date with Michelle. I don't know where to take her. she's so fancy and the way she talks just makes me want to taker her the
The Triangle Club

f@luS

More than a member.
dark10x said:
The framerate really bugs the shit out of me. Crysis in DX9 "Very High" mode with full motion blur ran smoother at 720p on my PC. It's still smoother than Saints Row, but not by as much as I would have liked.

The framerate really has me wondering about the 360 version, however. I don't really want to bother swapping at this point (and my launch 360 may not even like it), but if the difference were dramatic, I would consider it. Then again, I've viewed a LOT of 360 footage and it really doesn't seem all that much smoother. Maybe just a bit, but the game is so variable that it's difficult to say.

i told u the moment i had the game (and i had it one day before on 360) The framerate is nowhere near 30fps , yet rockstable most of the time. I will never understand how the framerate in this game can be praised like it has been in many reviews

dskillzhtown said:
When the only thing you type are negative nit-picks about a game, that is pretty much the impression you give. Also, YOU haven't come across any disappointments because you haven't played the game.

I've seen a lot of great stuff too, like the physics and scale of the game. The phone feature doesn't seem that bad and the use of the in-game internet looks fun. But I merely point out things that bother me. Just to have a little variety from the "OMG BEST GAME OF THE FOREVER" posts.

I just had my first wtf -> maniacal laughter moment. I had a 4 star wanted level and I was fleeing from the cops. I was going top speed in a Banshee, I hit a pole and then Niko went flying out of the car. This game is too awesome.

Does anybody else find the game so dark that it's hard to even see where you're going at night? Yeah I can change the brightness level of my TV, but every other game/movie looks fine the way it is and it's calibrated.

It's a CRT Wega, perhaps they designed the game for the piss poor black levels of most LCDs? It's pissing me off that at night I have to like feel my way around walls to find entrances. The camera in the game is also driving me crazy.

Pretty cool game overall though.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Does anybody else find the game so dark that it's hard to even see where you're going at night? Yeah I can change the brightness level of my TV, but every other game/movie looks fine the way it is and it's calibrated.

It's a CRT Wega, perhaps they designed the game for the piss poor black levels of most LCDs? It's pissing me off that at night I have to like feel my way around walls to find entrances. The camera in the game is also driving me crazy.

You should use the in-game settings to adjust brightness. and yeah, on ps3 version at least it looks dark by default.

epmode

epmode said:
So do you get anything for maxing the Michelle relationship? I did that a while back yet I don't think I unlocked anything.
Anyone?

Also, I lost a 4-star wanted level by ducking into a Pay-And-Spray but didn't get the achievement. Do you have to lose it by leaving the search area or something?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I want a sense of speed. You can't possibly not see the fun in having a speed meter.
3. I don't want to adjust the camera with any stick. I just said that GTA 3 did it right, and they messed it up after.
That's just insane.

As someone noted, Burnout lacks such a feature and that is, without a doubt, one of the fastest racers ever made. It would bring NOTHING to the game for most of us. They wanted to keep the screen free of clutter (only the map remains on screen during gameplay).

As for the camera, well, I can understand where you are coming from, but I believe the angles they've selected allow for a greater sense of scale. Also, the car is generally situated slightly to the right giving you additional room to see what is coming.

Use the in-game settings.

MaizeRage25 said:
You must have better reasons than these. You're just nitpicking. They've added so much over San Andreas and you're mad because there is no speedometer? Hell, Burnout Paradise didn't have one. To say that it is a little update is flat-out ridiculous.

EDIT: Wait, you don't have the game? Tell me you've at least PLAYED it.

Powerslave said:
I haven't played the game yet
LOL

Dammit I called back
Dimitri
and it triggered a mission.
Niko asks for his money and Dimitri tells him to go to a warehouse.
I don't know what's happening thanks to that skipped phone call.

fanduck

So did they get rid of the Taxi, Paramedic, Firefighter and Vigilante minigames? I've heard the vigilante and taxi missions described a little, and they don't sound much at all like they did in the old games.

Himuro said:
:lol :lol

What's so funny Himuro? I remember you agreeing with me back then.

Gary Whitta said:

=

Powerslave said:
Judging by the various impressions I gathered from my journey over the net, I can safely say that this game is nothing more than a next-gen San Andreas with improved physics and a few gimmicks added. People talk more about the storyline/characters and the graphics than the game itself.

I made this clear from my first post in the thread.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
EviLore said:
I made it clear that I think the scope of the game is *very* impressive, but at any given time, looking at the screen in front of me, there's a hell of a lot to complain about graphically, mostly in the image quality & framerate department.

I completely disagree. The framerate is always fluid for me, and the whole game has a soft-haze like filter that looks beautiful.

I actually watched the sunrise from an apartment roof today, never did that in any game aside from Zelda OoT. It's so...amazing.

I'm so glad none of these so-called graphical hangups are showing up for me, because this is literally the best game I've played in years.

Powerslave said:

Whether you made it clear or not, it's dumb and invalidates your opinion. Please play the game and then we'll have this conversation when you come back.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Powerslave said:
You're an idiot for bringing this up again. I already explained that I was talking about how CJ goes from doing ghetto stuff to jumping from airplane to airplanes, saves hippies, infiltrates into high-security government facilities, steals jet-packs etc. The whole storyline progression was just lame. Don't be so fucking stupid.

again? I don't recall bringing this up before.

Your old comments were odd, there's no denying that.

Storyline progression would be a valid complaint. But your comments back then, the ones that everyone jumped on, specifically pointed to the capabilities, or lack of, of an inner city black man. There's no reason to call me stupid or an idiot.

Himuro said:
It's really disappointing. The taxi missions aren't even fun anymore. A part of the reason it rocked was because it was Crazy Taxi-ish. No timer gives you no reason to put the pedal to the medal, you can simply pace yourself. And no multiple fares makes the missions seems flat. A part of the ownage of the old taxi missions was determining who to pick up first, and strategizing, not so much anymore!

one dude I drove got pissed everytime I ran a red light, then said, "I guess I should say thank you" in a sarcastic voice once we arrived. I wonder if that affected my fare?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
By the way, how could anyone say the city is empty? Found some hidden stuff and a baseball bat just by walking the streets. MUCH more incentive to explore the city than the wasteland emptiness that was San Andreas.

I played for over 4hrs last night (360, no probs yet) and here are my impressions.

- Story is great and cutscene dialog is written and delivered well.
- Game looks great for the most part, considering the size and what they are doing. Took a little getting used to the "look" of the game. However I don't really care for the softness and haze in the distance. If the PS3 is slightly softer I'm glad I decided against it (although it was a hard choice). Haven't been bothered by framerate or pop-in.
- Game's controls took a bit of getting used to but I'm driving and shooting fine. Played around with going postal in the hospital and bowling alley and had a blast holding off the cops as long as I could. Missions are fun too.

Some Gripes

- I have to agree the soundtrack is not that great. There's just not much that appeals to me. I'd like to have more recognizable stuff, and there's way too much comedy/speech commercials and stuff. Seems like this has been going downhill since SA.
- The comedy bits (commercials, TV, talk radio) have been getting progressively more and more crass or blatantly political and are less funny. I didn't think anything in SA was particularly good and this seems about the same. I think GTA3 and VC were more clever in this area.
- I was disappointed that the TV stations were not full-screen on 360, but after watching them for several minutes I realized I wasn't missing anything since I don't want to watch them anyway.
- One of the things I hated in Saint's Row was the overuse of the F-bomb by everybody, but especially pedestrians. I don't have any problem with cursing, but it seems in GTA4 walking/driving around that all the peds are talking like sailors. This can be overdone, IMO, to the point where it is ridiculous and harms the immersiveness factor.
- I hate the dating missions. And they make you feel like if you don't do them, you will face negative repercussions later on. Bah.

Addressing the graphics is tough, because there are definitely times when there are technical issues that make the game look really average, but there are other moments when it all comes together and looks jaw dropping. I was wandering around the docks yesterday and I turned the camera so the skyline was in the background, and it just looked amazing. With the bloom/soft effect, it honestly looked like one of the illustrations for the game. It was very cool. It's a shame that there are technical issues that mar the experience and make it inconsistent, but I think it's a disservice to the game to overlook the times it does get it right. When it's looking good, it looks really good.

MaizeRage25 said:
Whether you made it clear or not, it's dumb and invalidates your opinion. Please play the game and then we'll have this conversation when you come back.

It invalidates my opinion about the lack of speed-meters and having a low camera angle? Yeah.

As I've stated before, I'm just complaining about things that are clear and out in the open, I'm not commenting on stuff that I can't find out unless I play it myself (like the characters and storyline). Stop being so sensitive.

I'm liking the game more and more, especially the vigilante cop missions (always fun), but anyone that says this game does not have graphical problems is blind. Or you got a different version. My game has massive pop-in, a jittery framerate, and tons of jaggies. Overall, it's been the most disappointing thing about the game BY FAR. I could live with the framerate, but the pop-in and jaggies really take me out of the game. It's funny, but the game also looks much, much better during the day. At night, all the graphical flaws seem much more pronounced.

Oh, and I'm playing on a 37'' LCD. For what it's worth...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
chubigans said:
I completely disagree. The framerate is always fluid for me, and the whole game has a soft-haze like filter that looks beautiful.

I actually watched the sunrise from an apartment roof today, never did that in any game aside from Zelda OoT. It's so...amazing.

I'm so glad none of these so-called graphical hangups are showing up for me, because this is literally the best game I've played in years.

Agreed. I can see why some folks don't like the "paint" filter look or the impressionistic (or hazy) backdrops on the horizon, but I love them. GTA4 is a super stylized take on reality without compromising any of the grit. Similar comparisons could be made to No More Heroes, although it's obviously not as extreme.

I was flying as a passenger in a helicopter at night yesterday in a multiplayer game (best shit ever, btw), and loved the fact that at high altitude, they just render the cars as colorful little light blobs on the ground. Really gives it that comic book "painted" look.

I don't really care it isn't super photo-realistic. There are games that do it very well (like Prologue, for instance). I only care that it's consistent and that the aesthetics are pleasing.

For me, GTA4 is one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
CartridgeBlower said:
I'm liking the game more and more, especially the vigilante cop missions (always fun), but anyone that says this game does not have graphical problems is blind. Or you got a different version. My game has massive pop-in, a jittery framerate, and tons of jaggies. Overall, it's been the most disappointing thing about the game. I could live with the framerate, but the poo-in and jaggies really take me out of the game. It's funny, but the game also looks much, much better during the day. At night, all the graphical flaws seem much more pronounced.

Oh, and I'm playing on a 37'' LCD. For what it's worth...

Which version? If it's the 360, do you have a HDD? That seems to cause quite a few problems for those with Arcade units.

Powerslave said:
Yeah you made it clear that you're criticizing the game without having played it. That's all fine, just don't expect people to lend the same weight to your opinions as those of people who actually have played it.

By the way, the speedometer criticism is ridiculous. What the fuck do you want that for? Why do you need that to convey a sense of speed? As Maize rightly pointed out, the Burnout games - which are all about sense of speed - never had a speedometer. Rockstar no doubt rightly concluded that it would just be pointless information cluttering up the screen.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Dr. Zoidberg said:
- One of the things I hated in Saint's Row was the overuse of the F-bomb by everybody, but especially pedestrians. I don't have any problem with cursing, but it seems in GTA4 walking/driving around that all the peds are talking like sailors. This can be overdone, IMO, to the point where it is ridiculous and harms the immersiveness factor.
Really? Do you live in a big city? Even in just Milwaukee, WI that is pretty much how people b ehave on the street when you bump into them/hit their car/inconvenience them.... just wondering, but yeah... pretty much how it goes here at least.

dskillzhtown

chespace said:
Agreed. I can see why some folks don't like the "paint" filter look or the impressionistic (or hazy) backdrops on the horizon, but I love them. GTA4 is a super stylized take on reality without compromising any of the grit. Similar comparisons could be made to No More Heroes, although it's obviously not as extreme.

I was flying as a passenger in a helicopter at night yesterday in a multiplayer game (best shit ever, btw), and loved the fact that at high altitude, they just render the cars as colorful little light blobs on the ground. Really gives it that comic book "painted" look.

I don't really care it isn't super photo-realistic. There are games that do it very well (like Prologue, for instance). I only care that it's consistent and that the aesthetics are pleasing.

I 100% agree with that. Even if it is simple deathmatch, it is the bomb.

ScrabbleBanshee said:

As posted earlier you have to turn up the brightness AND the contrast via the in game settings to see shit.

Chris R

How long do you think I have until spoilers start showing up in memes across the internet... I was going to pick the game up yesterday, but sliced a good chunk off my thumb on my right hand... making most games unplayable until I heal :(

levious said:
again? I don't recall bringing this up before.

Your old comments were odd, there's no denying that.

Storyline progression would be a valid complaint. But your comments back then, the ones that everyone jumped on, specifically pointed to the capabilities, or lack of, of an inner city black man. There's no reason to call me stupid or an idiot.

ugh, I just explained it to you again a few minutes ago, and here you go repeating yourself again. My complaints were in tie with the story progression, that's what I've always said. People here only saw my use of 'black man', with no intent behind it, and flipped out since we know how sensitive GAF can be.

Anyway, let's stop cluttering up the thread with this, I don't want more people to go out and buy some tissues.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
CartridgeBlower said:
I have the PS3 version, actually. I'm almost worried the mandatory install didn't work or something there is so much pop-in.

That's really weird...you have the 40GB?

I'm assuming I dont have a magical copy that doesn't have pop-in whatsoever, but I have yet to see it (though I'm sure it's there).

It's amazing. I drove on the bridge during dawn with fog, and it was stunningly beautiful. Like something you'd see in late 90s CGI or something...I know that sounds ridiculous, but I understand what you mean.

It's not even something like, "oh, well when you take the scale of the game into account, then this game is pretty good looking" ...no, this game is just stunning to look at, period.

KTallguy

Banned
I think the look of the game grows on you after a while.
At first I was noticing all the flaws, but after a while I just keep playing and marvel at the little details in the environment.

I know what people are saying about exploration, but I'm kind of glad there aren't agility orbs or packages strewn about the environment... to me, I'd rather be doing more compelling things in those spaces than looking for random baubles. Like missions. Or multiplayer.

fanduck

Himuro said:
Yeah uh...taxi missions similar, but the thing is:

1. Theres no timer
2. You can't do multiple fares it seems.
3. You have to drop off only one person and the mission is over.

It's really disappointing. The taxi missions aren't even fun anymore. A part of the reason it rocked was because it was Crazy Taxi-ish. No timer gives you no reason to put the pedal to the medal, you can simply pace yourself. And no multiple fares makes the missions seems flat. A part of the ownage of the old taxi missions was determining who to pick up first, and strategizing, not so much anymore!

Dang, that really is disappointing. Such a simple thing to put in the game, and it adds so much (especially with achievements). I can only imagine what fun this mode would be in multiplayer as well!

I take it all the other modes are gone too? I wonder why...

DMPrince said:
Isn't that like right across where you live? :lol

Anyways. going on my second date with Michelle. I don't know where to take her. she's so fancy and the way she talks just makes me want to taker her the
The Triangle Club

Comrades? I tried going in like 10 times after sleeping, but it's never open.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Biggest disappointment for me is no multiplayer mini-games!

I want to play pool with my buddies in a bar on Xbox Live. Let me!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Im hoping the taxi missions will show up later in the game...kinda thinking I might pick up the official guide just to get some definitive answers on stuff like that.

Top Bottom