• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

jacket320

So many good moments so far. Best was clearly a high speed chase in the rain. My target slowed to make a turn and I broadsided him, pushing his car into a wall. He was pinned in and couldn't escape the car on foot. I got out, calmly walked around, and finished him off with a shotgun. Puuuurrrfect. :)

Costanza

Banned
huge spoiler for "hostile negotations"

oh come the fuck on, i spend 20 minutes doing an awesome job shooting up this building only to fail when i have to free aim the guy. fuuuuck, and it looks like i can keep the game going with roman dead? meh, i'll just reload my last save next time i play.

BobM

Relix said:
GTA4 or a 12 month XBL subscription. QUICK TELL ME!

Iamthegamer said:

If $$ is an issue i recommend buying GTAIV and one month of XBL ( thats what i do it only like 8 bucks a month)

Relix said:
If you are wrong I am gonna give you a good beating =P

I got the ps3 version but was told when in Gamestop the 360 version comes with a 1 month of XBL free.

indie85

Banned
I love the bullet damage in this game, surveying your car after a shootout, the bullet holes are damn impressive, each one unique. Glass reacts perfectly as well, especially with blood splattered on it. Actually thats another thing, the blood effects are awesome too.

Fifty

I kind of wish they made a bigger deal of you being able to go to Manhattan for the first time. I just unlocked it, but it wasn't any big deal in the game. All of a sudden I'm going to someone's house and it just so happens to be there. I kind of wish it was a more exciting reveal. Just a very, very minor complaint.

Guy Legend

Is there any chance that the PS3 version of achievements (accomplishments/entitlements/etc.) are in the game (hidden)? I recall them being in DMC4 and supposed to be in new games moving forward. I also recall there would be some special GTA4 stuff in Home...

Grayman

I have to ponder a dilemma in the story for awhile. On the second island, I have to choose between killing
Playboy X
or
His old friend

Friendo has stats recorded on the stat page like he could be a future buddy while the other guy doesn't. I am already unsure about who to pop but if popping loses me 2 friends I would think more about leaning that way.

Fifty said:
I kind of wish they made a bigger deal of you being able to go to Manhattan for the first time. I just unlocked it, but it wasn't any big deal in the game. All of a sudden I'm going to someone's house and it just so happens to be there. I kind of wish it was a more exciting reveal. Just a very, very minor complaint.
It was so nonchalant that I was actually wondering if it stealth unlocked earlier than that story event. It was the first time I drove a sultan though and lets just say I lost five o really fast.

Guy Legend said:
Is there any chance that the PS3 version of achievements (accomplishments/entitlements/etc.) are in the game (hidden)? I recall them being in DMC4 and supposed to be in new games moving forward. I also recall there would be some special GTA4 stuff in Home...
I'm pretty sure it's possible, especially considering how the Social Club tracks a lot of stats and such.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
are there any races other than number one? and is this mission vital to the story? i will not be able to pass it.

lol nevermind you can shoot the other cars and they die :D

dagZ

QVT said:
are there any races other than number one? and is this mission vital to the story? i will not be able to pass it.

lol nevermind you can shoot the other cars and they die :D

my strat. would be to shoot at the car's tires,until they blow. Thats what I did.

Giard

I just unlocked
the new safehouse at Algonquin (sp?)
. I can only do missions from
Francis and Patrick McReary
...they have both important stuff to do?

fse

Guy Legend said:

I thought people assumed that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
God's Beard said:
Just like the white winged dove sings a song sounds like shes singing BABY OHH BABY OHH BABY OOOOOHHHH

That scene from School of Rock keeps entering my head when I hear that song

dedhead54

I swear to god I saw an option to change the text size on the cell phone at some point, but now I can't find it. WTF?? I cannot read shit.

QVT

Grayman said:
Did the one who you did not kill become a friend character?

Nope. But money is money.

Also I ran out of bullets from trying to shoot while driving this piece of shit car. Again, is this mission required to advance the story? Is there some way I can do it on a vespa? At least I can drive those.

I don't really like the soundtrack much. Do any of you have a favorite radio station? I like the Mavado song and to a lesser degree, Get Innocuous, although I haven't heard Get Innocuous in the game yet. Is Get Innocuous even played on any of the radio stations? If it is, which station does it and the Mavado song play on?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just finished the game there;

Ending Spoilers!!!
took around 25 hours and I travelled 345 miles in taxis. Seems there are two endings, I got the one where it's Kate who gets killed and you avenge, you people should be ashamed of yourself for working with Dimtri again! :p

Grayman

QVT said:
Nope. But money is money.

Also I ran out of bullets from trying to shoot while driving this piece of shit car. Again, is this mission required to advance the story? Is there some way I can do it on a vespa? At least I can drive those.
You are farther than me in the story but it doesn't seem epically important. You and B will decide to
just be bros and you stop doing missions for him
after that mission or maybe one more.

Grayman

S8 RoXoRz said:
How do I save a car for later use? Can I save multiple cars or only 1?
Outside your safe houses there is a yellow reserved parking area. Someone posted a screenshot of 20 superbikes in it. I've kept 2 NRG900s and two police cars in Bohan. You don't even have to park straight or in the middle. I left a bike on the line for hours.

Grayman

QVT said:
if you shoot people in the race it gets called off

i'm not seeing how you win here
Try bumper view and just drive like hell.

1 Brake for corners
2 look at the checkpoint arrows and start turning on time instead of late.
3 if you crash keep going i bounced between all positions when i won it.

Fifty

QVT said:
if you shoot people in the race it gets called off

i'm not seeing how you win here

That mission was really easy. Your car is faster than all the others on straightaways and the other cars get into crashes often. Just take corners well and slow down if you have to to prevent crashing. Basically, there is no trick, just suck less.

QVT

Grayman said:
Outside your safe houses there is a yellow reserved parking area. Someone posted a screenshot of 20 superbikes in it. I've kept 2 NRG900s and two police cars in Bohan. You don't even have to park straight or in the middle. I left a bike on the line for hours.

There is a bike better than an NRG?

QVT

oh alright

i managed to beat that fucking race :D managed to only shoot the tires instead of the guys behind the wheel and that got me the win.

I don't know maybe everyone else already knows this, but I just found out about it :lol

Do you guys know how to PROPERLY shut off your cars when you get out so that there is no possibility of it being stolen or leaving that spot? Instead of simply pressing y to get out of the car you hold the y button down and you'll hear the hand break being applied and the car will be shut down properly.

Probably something stupid that everyone already knew, but I JUST found this out lol.

Also I've played for 19 hours so far and the game is only 19.53% completed. Pretty cool when you think about it.

Chris R

So I finally got it. Now I thought the PS3 version was supposed to have LESS popin... If thats the case it must be unbearable on the 360, I don't like how the random stuff on the street just shows up when you drive by. Is there any way to fix this on the PS3? Also, I haven't read through the entire thread, but are there packages/ect things to collect to get some power ups???

Saiyu

Wow multiplayer is fun....

Anyone know where the annihilator spawns in normal MP matches (like free mode and team deathmatch)? I've seen it doesn't spawn in the island off aldernay like in party mode.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
CowboyAstronaut said:
I don't know maybe everyone else already knows this, but I just found out about it :lol

Do you guys know how to PROPERLY shut off your cars when you get out so that there is no possibility of it being stolen or leaving that spot? Instead of simply pressing y to get out of the car you hold the y button down and you'll hear the hand break being applied and the car will be shut down properly.

Probably something stupid that everyone already knew, but I JUST found this out lol.

Also I've played for 19 hours so far and the game is only 19.53% completed. Pretty cool when you think about it.

Whoa, didn't know that at all. That's awesome!

Top Bottom