• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Everdred

Shockgamer said:
Ugh, the pigeons... If there's a game design practice that needs to die, it's the trinket hunts in open world games. All they do is make people spend an afternoon with a location map and an FAQ page.
Except for Crackdown, that was actually a good time.

Brashnir

strange_booj said:
Except for Crackdown, that was actually a good time.

The reason it worked so well in Crackdown is that (for the Agility Orbs anyway) you could generally see them from a good distance away, and the challenge was to figure out how to get to them.

With the Pigeons in GTA, it's a blind rat race, just wandering around until you stumble across them.

I asked this question in the other GTA thread but I'll ask here as well.

I'm not sure where to ask this question but I've been having serious problems with the online for 360.
Apart from the first day where it was fine, I'm not able to join any of the competitive modes like deathmatch and races. When I try to join a player or ranked game, it starts loading and then I hear other people talking then it stops and puts me in a lobby by myself and no one is able to join.

I can join the mini mission modes, but this is the only 360 game to do this apart from COD4, where I had a strict NAT and opened it then it was fine.

sennin

Kureishima said:
Just wait until the race starts, then do it. No problem.

I tested this by doing a couple of races, and it works. :lol How I screwed up before was that I sprayed SMG rounds straight into the windscreens as well, killing the driver. I'd have to rephrase it as, "R* says it is fine to rig the race by aiming for the tires, but if there is a miscue and the driver is killed by gunfire it is over." ^ As an aside, I found a Comet during one of the races and drove it back to my safehouse. I'm not sure what factors determine which car spawns during Brucie's races, but for sure Infernus and Comet will show up, just takes some luck I suppose? 1/3 they showed up, the other 2 races were against cheap cars. For the record, I was racing in Alderney City.

Flynn said:
But do they?

I think the design of the pigeons is pretty clever.

You're not just collecting things. You have to shoot them. And when you shoot them you draw aggro. And when you draw aggro you have to run or fight.

So the collectibles are like a second tour through the city. One that you do with a faq or a map and one that leads to more adventures. I think it's a find secondary or tertiary way to approach a game -- especially one that you've already beaten once and want to approach from a different angle.

That makes perfect sense which I can attest to from my own journies searching for those fucking things. :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My favorite pop song in the game is now NY Groove by Hello. Didn't know band or song, but man is it awesome (especially when it's played in the credits or when you're just cruising around delivering cars for Stevie).

btw does GTA IV have the longest credits sequence in games ever? I don't think I've ever seen one as long, must've lasted like 15-20 minutes

Lobster

Banned
Holy shit best GTA game ever..

Driving is great, love the sense of realism and the models are absolutely crazy!

Dying is my newest favourite thing to do. So cool to jump over a ledge and to fall to your death this time! Even more funnier when you jump a fence which is a little to high and you fall flat on your face and lay there for a while :lol

I haven't even explored the area properly yet.

Zoink

Flynn said:
But do they?

I think the design of the pigeons is pretty clever.

You're not just collecting things. You have to shoot them. And when you shoot them you draw aggro. And when you draw aggro you have to run or fight.

So the collectibles are like a second tour through the city. One that you do with a faq or a map and one that leads to more adventures. I think it's a find secondary or tertiary way to approach a game -- especially one that you've already beaten once and want to approach from a different angle.

I must be doing it wrong, then - I just use the reduce wanted level cheat after every pigeon, think I'm about to about 300 cheat uses now for 199 pigeons :D One more bastard pigeon for 100% Goddamn, why do I never leave stuff like that to do in one long session rather than doing it piecemeal like a dumbass?

Also, I'm slightly disappointed not to get the slowest time to complete the game 44396/44402, dammit! Is there some reason the fastest time is exactly 9 hours? Seems a bit odd.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Lobster said:
Dying is my newest favourite thing to do. So cool to jump over a ledge and to fall to your death this time! Even more funnier when you jump a fence which is a little to high and you fall flat on your face and lay there for a while :lol
The best way to die is to get on a bike, ride as fast as you can and then crash into a car. You wont be disappointed. Niko goes flying and then lands on the floor after a good 5 or 6 seconds.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Now that I've got exams coming up, the only time I'll be able to play this game is during weekends, and even then I wont have that much time to play it. I think I've done about 40 missions, so how many more do I have left to do?

FFChris

Great game, but now I've finished it I think I'll trade it in for NG2.

I mean, I had a really good time playing it and exploring the world, but now the story mode is done I don't feel I can do much more with the game. No houses to buy, no rampages to do, no army to fight at 6 stars... it's like the held a lot of stuff back for DLC.

FFChris said:
Great game, but now I've finished it I think I'll trade it in for NG2.

I mean, I had a really good time playing it and exploring the world, but now the story mode is done I don't feel I can do much more with the game. No houses to buy, no rampages to do, no army to fight at 6 stars... it's like the held a lot of stuff back for DLC.

I don't think you'll see any of those ever in a game of this level of narrative realism. You can't buy a building for $500,000. You can't go on a game-sponsored rampage with this level of versimilitude. And as for the army, well, I just don't see that happening either.

They're only holding back Sunset Boulevard for the DLC.

(Maybe.)

FFChris

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't think you'll see any of those ever in a game of this level of narrative realism. You can't buy a building for $500,000. You can't go on a game-sponsored rampage with this level of versimilitude. And as for the army, well, I just don't see that happening either.

(Maybe.)

I understand that, but I don't feel that kind of stuff had to go. It could have kept the realisic aspect of the game and still had the stuff I mentioned included.

I think we'll see rampages, fire engine missions, new weapons, the army and general stuff like that on both PS3 and 360 as DLC at a later time.

Of course, I think the actual 360 exclusive DLC will be more robust. As of now, I've completed the story and aside from dicking about (which is a load of fun, as always) I don't have much else use for the game.

Double D

So I finished the game last night. I appreciate the fact that I'm still getting
phone calls
after the credits rolled. Kind of nice to know that even thought I completed it, there's still plenty of game to be played.

Also, I couldn't help but think about "Sims" style expansions. BB - you were talking about how rampages, etc don't really jive with the narrative. So, they could just release the "murderous rampage" expansion along with the "serious business" expansion. Small little deals that set a different tone and add a letter or two to the map, along with weapons, vehicles, etc. I still want a big chunk of DLC, but I think there is definitely a place for something like this.

Until then, I'm going to continue "Riding with my top down, and my jury on.
Hey.
"

Vaxadrin

Banned
The best part of the whole game is single-shot headshots with an assault rifle.

*POP*

ARE YOU HAVING FUN???

*POP*

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE MESSED WITH ME!

*POP POP*

PUSH ME, PUSH ME!!

*guy crawls over towards his gun, starts to stumble up*

*POP POP POP*

YOU THINK I'M JOKING AROUND? STAY DOWN!

BenjaminBirdie said:

(Maybe.)

You know while people keep saying this, I'm not so sure. There are certainly things that won't make a comeback. Such as heart filled orbs littering the city, but I think it is too early to really make a call on what will or won't come back for future GTA's (despite whatever spin even Rockstar puts on things). I think certain things obviously didn't make sense for this GTA and what they were trying to do but who knows for future versions.

Twig

Banned
If it means bringing back the crazy taxi minigame, or the army so I can steal tanks, I would gladly welcome back a less realistic GTA game.

Also the perfect handling cheat. I miss hydraulic jumping. ):

Beaulieu

Jamesfrom818 said:
The best way to kill yourself is to fly up to the tallest building and fire a rocket at your feet.

No its to go as high as you can in a helicopter (which is really high) they get out of it.

This is so violent.

Double D

boco77 said:
Where can i find hookers..? There arent any in this game I think.

Street corners at night time. I don't know how far you are, but there are always hookers near Stevie's garage. I always score a BJ before dropping off a vehicle.

EDIT: ^^^Yes to the heli bailouts. I was taking a heli tour last night and decided to press Y. Nice and crunchy.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Beaulieu said:
No its to go as high as you can in a helicopter (which is really high) they get out of it.

This is so violent.

No, it's to jump into free mode, tell your friends "Hey guys wanna see something cool? Get in the helicopter!", then fly them all as high as you can go above Algonquin and bail out without warning.

Double D

All this suicidal talk has reminded me about when I tossed a grenade into some gas pumps. I was standing about 10 feet away from the closest gas pump, and the explosion launched me out into the water without killing me.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Street corners at night time. I don't know how far you are, but there are always hookers near Stevie's garage. I always score a BJ before dropping off a vehicle.

EDIT: ^^^Yes to the heli bailouts. I was taking a heli tour last night and decided to press Y. Nice and crunchy.

Best death I had was in the hotel penthouse mission. I was clearing out the rooftop patio and suddenly I hear this massive explosion and I'm sailing over the rail.

It was fucking brilliant.

the mission design is almost identical to previous games...I'll finish it, but I still find many of the mission pretty boring. One of the main reasons for this is going back to the beginning of the mission after dying, across the town. Horrible design choice. The game is enjoyable and the narrative is good....but it is still a jack of all trades to some degree. eg, shooting is fun, but pretty basic and there is very little interesting AI

Doc Evils said:
I've have 199 Pigeons and I can't find the last one fuck. I have a guide too and I seem to have gone past/ missed it I don't know. >:|
I used a screencap of the in-game pigeon map and it didn't have one of the pigeons on it. It was in Alderney, the westernmost part of Acter Industrial Park. There's actually 2 pigeons there, the other on some ruins a bit north of the first one. Took me a while to catch that and had to resort to using a guide.

Doc Evils

Finncognito said:
I used a screencap of the in-game pigeon map and it didn't have one of the pigeons on it. It was in Alderney, the westernmost part of Acter Industrial Park. There's actually 2 pigeons there, the other on some ruins a bit north of the first one. Took me a while to catch that and had to resort to using a guide.

I realled wish the map removed the dots you have done. I'm cluess on where it is since I killed thos two. >:|

man, i laugh at the so called videogame "press". the game falls completely apart in algonquin. up to this point it's nice and dandy, but then you realise, that content wise you really have seen anything the game has to offer in the first 5 hours, that the missiondesign is utter shit and doesn't get better and that the plot is flat and pointless, though it started interesting enough.

now niko is just some kind of russian terminator, who would do everything for a few dollars...even if he has tons of money thanks to three leafs. at the end of the day, this is the most boring 3d gta. a real shame, since the new engine rocks...

AirBrian

Finncognito said:

There's an in-game pigeon map?

AirBrian

Recoil said:
And yet, both fistfulofmetal and Metroidvania agreed with me. Funny how that works, huh? ..|..

Add me to the list too. Actually, I wasted probably about a half-hour trying to jump onto the fire escapes. I even managed to climb onto the lower awning, jump across to the higher awning next to that one, but then couldn't ever get on the fire escape across from that one. I got so close too. I also got close to launching my freakin' controller. :lol Man, I hated that mission until I figured out a door was open.

GQman2121

Banned
Car Jack city with Blips completely off is so much fun with a packed room. I need more people to fill our party games up with on the PSN.

Hit me up if you have a mic and don't mind auto-aim disabled.

PSN: GQman2121.

ElyrionX

It's been a week since I finished GTAIV and I got to agree, the game does fall apart a little midway through. 94 missions is 44 missions too long especially when most of them have the same damn structure and have you doing the same thing, ie. drive to point A, kill a bunch of people, escape from wanted level, mission complete.

As great as the story is, I far preferred the Niko we had at the beginning. I wish there was one GTA that never escalated the crime to such an incredible level where you're killing a shitload of people for nothing. I liked what happened at the start when you're just doing simple favours for your cousin and protecting him and doing some simple driving and all that. It feels more realistic and the vibe was good. Everything was easily 10/10 up to the first execution of a major ingame character. The whole Italian mafia schtick got old fast after that.

Also, what's the point of letting you choose whether to kill someone or not when it has virtually no in-game effect and when you're already mowing down assloads of random people already anyway?

Zoink

Huzzah! I found the last pigeon to get 100% - it was on my "well, I don't remember killing that one but I can't see it so maybe I killed it and forgot" list. As good as the guide on Games Radar is, the description for number 171 is pretty wonky and it's actually off the top of the picture they use. It's on the top flat roof to one side of the little bell tower - get a heli onto the roof to see it easily. Now I just wait 3 days for the Social Club to update...

AirBrian

Darunia said:
btw does GTA IV have the longest credits sequence in games ever? I don't think I've ever seen one as long, must've lasted like 15-20 minutes

Heh, right before the last mission I checked my time because I knew I was getting close to 30 hours. Well, I had about 45 minutes left for the last mission to get the achievement. After beating the last mission, the notification didn't pop up, so I just assumed it would pop up after the credits. So I'm watching the credits roll...and roll...and roll...and now I'm starting to panic a little thinking it's stupid that it counts towards your time for the achievement. I knew I had to be real close, so I just hit A and skipped the rest of the credits. :( I checked my playtime and I was clocked in at 29:56. Holy shit I would've been pissed if I had to redo everything because the credits were so long. :lol

ElyrionX said:
Also, what's the point of letting you choose whether to kill someone or not when it has virtually no in-game effect and when you're already mowing down assloads of random people already anyway?

The assloads of people you've generally killed are people you have killed in the pursuit of something, people who have tried to kill you, or people you have been ordered to kill, or people you haven't had contact with and know on a personal level in the game.

Killing some of the people does have an in game effect for some of the characters, especially the ending, and it also is a perception question on how you feel about certain issues (albeit in selected situations)

ElyrionX said:
As great as the story is, I far preferred the Niko we had at the beginning. I wish there was one GTA that never escalated the crime to such an incredible level where you're killing a shitload of people for nothing. I liked what happened at the start when you're just doing simple favours for your cousin and protecting him and doing some simple driving and all that. It just feels more realistic and the vibe was good. Everything was easily 10/10 up to the first execution of a major ingame character. The whole Italian mafia schtick got old fast after that.

I'd go as far to say that CJ was a more interesting character than Niko. Niko becomes a boring gangster archetype the further you progress into the game.

Pharmacy

Banned
Mr.City said:
Is there any reward for killing off the most wanted criminals in the police database?

no and this is exactly why i hate the game

WHY DO I NOT GET AN ARMOUR BOOST

WHY DO I NOT GET AN ARMOUR SPAWN AT MY SAFEHOUSE

WHY DO I NOT UNLOCK A SPECIAL POLICECAR THAT PERMANENTLY SPAWNS IN A CERTAIN AREA kljsdfhksdhfksdjhf

akenatone

After finishing the main game last night, i have to agree with some of the complaints about the latter half of the game. I really enjoyed the early missions, everything felt grounded and real. I even cared about Niko. Sadly towards the end, he became another yes man killing machine.
All in all, i appreciate the effort. And hopefully they can do better next time storywise. THe whole package still deserves a 10 though.

ElyrionX

Red Blaster said:
I'd go as far to say that CJ was a more interesting character than Niko. Niko becomes a boring gangster archetype the further you progress into the game.

I agree. I would have preferred more missions involving Mallorie and Roman. There was at least some emotional connections with those characters. The whole setup at the start where you're in Roman's lousy apartment and had to drive down to his cab depot to get missions was fun. So were the Brucie and Bernie stuff. Lil Jacob was fine as well since he really did became a friend you can rely on. It's the whole Italian mafia and the McReary brothers arcs that made the game such a bore and dragged the story down.

I think the game would have been A LOT better if the entire time you were helping Roman set up and run his business and helping Brucie, Bernie and Lil Jacob with their problems as well. Even unlocking cities would make sense because Roman can expand his business by opening a branch in Algonquin and you could be running that branch or something.

Stoney Mason said:
The assloads of people you've generally killed are people you have killed in the pursuit of something, people who have tried to kill you, or people you have been ordered to kill, or people you haven't had contact with and know on a personal level in the game.

Killing some of the people does have an in game effect for some of the characters, especially the ending, and it also is a perception question on how you feel about certain issues (albeit in selected situations)

I know but it's still senseless killing. Doesn't make sense that he makes such a big deal out of killing a few people when he's already killed so many. Also, if he's really there to run away from his past, why did he let himself sink deeper and deeper into the underworld?

ElyrionX said:
I know but it's still senseless killing. Doesn't make sense that he makes such a big deal out of killing a few people when he's already killed so many. Also, if he's really there to run away from his past, why did he let himself sink deeper and deeper into the underworld?

Niko isn't a pacifist. He is not a beatnik. Or a hippy. Because he regrets his life and some of his actions doesn't mean you (he) stops what you are doing. See any mobster movie, the sopranos, or basically any crime movie ever made. The appeal of Niko isn't that he is suddenly going to become a banker in Vice City. The appeal of him is how he manifests the conflict of his world view that it doesn't really matter because he is a low creature because of his past and attempting to let go of the past.

He lets himself sink deeper and deeper because it's one long chain of events that begins with him killing Vlad and being connected to Roman, the fact that he gets setup by Michelle, and the fact that the people who can help him find who he is searching for also happen to be the gangsters he ends up working for. As far as the senseless killing if I'm robbing a bank and somebody is trying to kill me, that is different than making a calculated decision to kill people you have a relationship with that can effect future dealings with you not to mention if you personally like certain individuals more than others.

EDIT: As far as the story structure I like the beginning of the game, but i also like the second half and I personally liked the mafia story quite a bit and dealing with those characters. Found it fascinating dealing with a wanna be mafia family that wants to become something bigger than they are. My only real complaint story wise is that Kate wasn't better voice acted and needed more scenes with her to cement the bond, bernie who was a good idea but poor execution, and wishing for a bit more contact with Roman besides just telephone calls for the latter half of the game.

For me it was by FAR the best story of any GTA with the most emotional and personal scenes for me and the most fleshed out lead.

Top Bottom